OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

.

BIOGRAPHIES

Source::
HISTORY OF BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the
Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Brown County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Published:  Chicago:  W. H. Beers & Co.
1883
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 

  Lewis Twp. -
ALFRED N. YOUNG, dealer in leaf tobacco, Higginsport.  This gentleman is of English extraction, and his grandfather, William Young, was of English parentage.  The maternal great-grandfather, William Lancaster, was a patriot in the Continental war, and died in Indiana, in 1843, at the very great age of 104 years.  William Young died in Bracken County, Ky., in 1838, and he in Higginsport, Ohio, in 1845, having been a resident of the State four years.  Robert Young was born in Bracken County, Ky., Mar. 28, 1812, reaching his sixteenth year in his native State; he then entered upon river life, which claimed his attention for over thirty years.  At first, he was cook on a flat-boat, but by proper conduct soon became pilot for E. Thompson & Sons, boating to New Orleans.  By frugality and industry he was enabled to commence business, in 1842, upon his own responsibilities, which resulted favorably, and was continued until 1861, he leaving New Orleans, the day Fort Sumter was fired on.  He returned home to Higginsport, Ohio, where he had resided since 1838, and for the past twenty years has been engaged in the leaf tobacco business.  His first marriage was celebrated June 18, 1840, with Mary, daughter of Jesse Dugan.  Three children were given her, and her death occurred Jan. 18, 1850.  Subsequently, he married her cousin, Deborah, daughter of Bazil Dugan, to whom three children have been given, two of whom still live.  The gentleman whose name heads this sketch was born Mar. 4, 1841, in Higginsport, Ohio.  He was reared in his native village, where he received the benefit of the public schools of the town, improving his education at the Cincinnati Commercial College.  In September, 1861, he entered the military service in Company F, First Ohio Light Artillery, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Perryville, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge, serving until Sept. 28, 1864, when he was discharged at Columbus, Ohio, having risen to the rank of Sergeant of the battery.  He returned home uninjured, and was engaged in boating down the river until his marriage with Miss Amanda Devore, Dec. 26, 1866.  He then engaged in the leaf tobacco in Cincinnati, Ohio, residing in Newport, Ky.  This received his attention until 1870, when he accepted the position of United States Census Marshal of Campbell County, Ky., and on September 24 of the same year, he was commissioned as Consul to Santiago de Cuba.  He entered upon his new duties and remained there until Dec. 5, 1876.  During his term of office, and steamer "Virginius" was captured and brought into the port - Santiago.  He, with his family, returned to Higginsport, Ohio, where they have since resided, and devoted his time to the leaf tobacco trade, for a while, in partnership with his father.  Mr. Young is yet a young man, and has not only filled honorable positions, but has honorably discharged his duties.  He is well situated in life, occupying one of the good residences of Higginsport, Ohio.  He and wife have one son - Frank L., born Dec. 22, 1867.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  127
  Union Twp. -
G. F. YOUNG, tobacco dealer, Ripley, is a son of Robert L. and Mary (Dugan) Young, natives of Kentucky, who settled in Lewis Township, Brown County, in 1832.  Her death occurred in that township in 1852.  Prior to the rebellion, he was largely engaged on the river in freight transportation between Cincinnati and New Orleans, and ran the largest freight boat to and from these ports.  The vessel was finaly lost, being crushed by a ship at New Orleans.  Since the war, he has been extensively engaged in the tobacco trade in connection with his son, Alfred, and they are reputed as the largest dealers in the latter named city.  He retains his residence at Higginsport, where the subject of this sketch was born in 1844.  In August, 1862, he enlisted in the First Ohio Cavalry, Company F, and did active service until he was wounded at the battle of Stone River, and was honorably discharged from the service Apr. 16, 1863.  Mr. Young became engaged in the pork and tobacco trade with Stephenson & Thompson, of this city, with whom he was associated some years.  In 1877, he established himself in the tobacco trade at his storehouse on Third street, where he has since been actively and successfully engaged.  His shipments of tobacco average 100 hogsheads per annum, and he employs men who are constantly packing and shipping.  Mr. Young was joined in wedlock to Miss Hannah Stephenson, of Ripley, by Daniel Gaddis, on the 29th day of March, 1869.  To this union two children have been born, one of whom is living, viz.: Ada.   George F. deceased.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  92
  Scott Twp. -
HENRY YOUNG.  The venerable subject of the following sketch was born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., Dec. 20, 1802; his parents emigrated to the Northwest in 1816, and settled on a tract of land lying on Eagle Creek, in Franklin Township, Brown Co., Ohio.  There Mr. Young was employed in farming for many years, and here, Apr. 12, 1821, he was married to his estimable wife.  Mrs. Young, whose maiden name was Nancy Spires, was six years the senior of her husband, having been born Dec. 2, 1796.  Recently, they commemorated the sixty-first anniversary of their happy marriage by a birthday festival, which was joined by three persons, who sere guests at the wedding feast sixty-one years ago; they were John Spires.  Mrs. Sallie Smith and Mrs. Jane Peddicord, brother and sisters of Mrs. Young.  Fifteen years after his union with Miss Spires, that is to say in 1836, he moved to his present home in Scott Township, having previously bought of Garland Anderson the mill, then known as the "Anderson mill," and a farm of seventy acres, attached, for $4,000.  Mr. Young has since added several hundred acres to his original purchase, and is now one of the largest land owners in the county.  When the cholera broke out in 1849, in New Hope, he left his farm and business, and devoted his whole attention to caring for and cheering the sick and dying.  He and Martin Gotts and Perry Applegate took a mutual pledge to give their time, their energy, and, if need be, their lives to the heroic conquest of the dread scourge.  They faithfully kept the pledge, but at the cast of two lives- Gotts and Applegate, who fell victims to the enemy.  Mr. Young has always been an ardent upholder of the party whose father was Jefferson.  He has been called to fill offices of trust and profit, both in the township and county; he was Township Treasurer for many years; was three times elected a Justice of the Peace; and in 1852 was chosen Sheriff of Brown County.  He is a member, or was, of White Oak Lodge, No. 292, and an earnest working Mason.  Four children were the issue of his matrimonial alliance - Richard, Matilda, Reynolds, Lucinda and Robert, of whom only the second child, Matilda, is living.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  258
  Pike Twp. -
JOSEPH YOUNG, farmer, P. O. Sureyville, was born in Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio, May 29, 1834, and is a son of Omega and Nancy Young.  Omega was born in North Carolina, emigrated to Virginia when a boy, remained there awhile and then pressed forward to Kentucky, and after living in Kentucky for a time, he emigrated to Ohio in 1853, when he settled in Lewis Township, Brown County, four miles north of Higginsport, where he now resides.  Joseph is the second son and fifth child of the family.  He was united in marriage with Mary Ann Loudon, Feb. 16, 1865.  He acquired a common school education, and has been engaged in teaching in the common schools of Ohio for a number of years.  He owns seventy-four acres of land in Pike Township, where he resides.  Mr. and Mrs. Young are the parents of six children, of whom five survive - Nancy S., Omega D., Nellie G., Mary B. and Jessie V.  Mr. Young's record is such that his children may point to it with pride.  Himself and wife have been members of the Methodist Church for a number of years.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  222
  Lewis Twp. -
OMEGA YOUNG, farmer, P. O. Georgetown, was born in Pennsylvania in 1795; he is a son of Fountain and Tabitha Young, natives of Virginia, of English descent.  Our subject came west at an early day, and received a liberal education in Cincinnati, which, at that time was but a village.  He settled in Lewis Township, Brown County, in 1813, and has since made it his home.  He married Mary Cochran who died soon after their marriage, and in 1824 he married Nancy Stayton, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Wise) Stayton, and a niece of Gov. Wise.  By this union fourteen children were born, of whom eleven survive, viz.: Mary J. (widow of Harvey McKibben, deceased,) Indiana (wife of R. P. Bennington, of Ripley), Wiley W., (an attorney of Georgetown), Joseph (a farmer of Pike Township), William D. (an attorney of Ripley), Lizzie (wife of William Kantz), Maggie (wife of George H. Coulther, of Clermont County), Lou M. (wife of Orlesta Church), and S. Frankie (wife of Dr. A. Harne, of Chicago), James E. and H. Queen.  The deceased are Martha, Thomas C. and Emma J.  Mr. Young is a man of literary tastes, and he has given all his children a liberal education.  He has followed farming all his life, until within a few years, when he retired from active life.  He resides two miles west of Georgetown, where he owns 105 acres of excellent farm land.  In the early part of his life, he took an active interest in politics, frequently taking the stump in his party's behalf.  He never sought or held any office other than the minor ones of his township.  He is a Republican in politics, and takes a deep interest in the work of his party.  Mr. Young was for several years a minister of the New Light Church, but of late years he has not been identified with any church, but has for many years, and is now, very liberal in his religious views.  He is one of the representative men of the county, and has always been classed with its better citizens.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  127
  Pleasant Twp. -
ROBERT YOUNG,  of Robert Young & Co., Georgetown, proprietor Georgetown Woolen Mills, was born near Belfast, Ireland, in November, 1829.  He is a son of Robert Young, also a native of Ireland, and of Scotch descent.  He was a farmer and linen weaver until his death, June 7, 1847.  His mother was Isabella McClellan, also a native of Ireland and of Scotch ancestry.  Our subject grew up in Ireland, and receiving a fair education.  He early learned the linen weaver's trade, and when nineteen years of age came to America.  He first located at Philadelphia, where he learned  ingrain carpet weaving, which trade he followed for a number of years.  In 1857, he came West, locating at Leesburg, Highland Co., Ohio, where he worked in a factory two and a half years.  He went back to Pennsylvania in October, 1859, where he remained till September, 1861.  He then came to Georgetown, at the solicitation of Warner & Ramey, proprietors of a woolen mill in the south part of the village.  He worked for the firm ten months.  In August, 1862, he elisted in Company C, Eighty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving as a private till July, 1865, when he received an honorable discharge; upon his return to Georgetown, Mr. Young once more became connected with the mill business, and some years ago became part owner of the mill, a sketch of which appears in another chapter.  Mr. Young is a member of the Good Templars and the Presbyterian Church.  He is a Republican in politics, and has been a member of the Village Council for eight years, being again re-elected Apr. 3, 1882.  He was married at Philadelphia, June 6, 1850, to Mary A. Robinson, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland.  They have only one child - William A., in business with his father.  Mrs. Young is a member of the Christian Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  49
  Pike Twp. -
V. B. YOUNG, farmer, P. O. Mt. Oreb, was born in Brown County, Ohio, May 13, 1847.  He is a son of Thomas F. and Sarah Young.  His education was acquired in the common schools of Brown County and the Normal School of Lebanon, Ohio.  He was raised a farmer and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits and teaching and has taught in the common schools for over fifteen years.  He was married July 8, 1870 to Isabella Patten.  After his marriage he bought 51 acres of land where he now resides.  Mr. and Mrs. Young are the parents of three children, all living - Ruella, born May 29, 1871; Flora, born Jan. 30, 1874, and O. A., born Nov. 25, 1880.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  222
  Union Twp. -
W. D. YOUNG, attorney at law and Mayor of Ripley, is a son of Omega and Nancy (Stayton) Young, and was born Apr. 15, 1836.  He is a grandson of Fountain Young, who was a soldier in the late war with Great Britain, and was killed at the battle of the Thames, in 1813.  Omega Young was born in Rockingham County, N. C. Mar. 23, 1797.  He moved to Brown County from Floyd County, Ky., in 1807 and located in Higginsport.  He was a shoemaker by trade, but afterward purchased a farm in Lewis Township, on which he settled and resided until 1853, when he removed to Pleasant Township, where he and his estimable lady are living in the full enjoyment of a ripe age.  The advantages of education were few and limited, and having a large family, he devoted his attention largely to their educational culture and improvement.  Of the fourteen children that were born to him, eleven are living; nine of them were well qualified school teachers.  He was an advocate of grammar and of temperance, and during his life acquired a thorough knowledge of history and theology.  His distinguished loyalty to the Whig party and opposed sentiments to slavery were marked features of his well spent life.  At the organization of the Republican party, he united himself with it, and had since been an earnest advocate of his doctrines and principles.  The subject of this biography was reared and brought up on the old homestead farm.  In 1854, at the age of eighteen, he left the harvest field in time to prepare himself, and went to the Southwestern Normal Institute at Oxford, Butler Co., Ohio, where he remained in the pursuance of his studies five weeks.  His education prior to this was obtained in the district schools of his native place.  In 1853, he engaged in teaching, which he followed up to 1860, devoting his spare time to the reading of law.  He entered the law office of Gen. Sellers and R. A. Bower, of Georgetown, and in 1859 was admitted to the bar at Lebanon, Ohio.  In 1860, he began the practice of law in Georgetown, and the same year edited the publication of the Brown County Republican, the first issue appearing on July 3.  The following fall, he disposed of his interest to W. H. Sallyards.  In 1861, he served three months in Company I, of the Twelfth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, after which he returned to Georgetown.  In the spring of 1862, he removed to Cincinnati and opened a law office and remained until September, 1863, when he took up his residence in Ripley.  He formed a partnership with Chambers Baird, with whom he continued until 1873, when the firm dissolved, and the subsequent fall Mr. Young formed partnership with C. A. Linn, now of Cincinnati.  He remained with Mr. Linn as a partner till 1876, since which date he has been alone.  Mr. Young has been called upon to fill various offices of honor and trust.  In 1876, he was chosen Mayor of Ripley, and Apr. 4, 1882, when elected for the fourth term.  Mayor Young is a gentleman of honor and one of the most successful practitioners at the Brown County bar.  He entered the arena of life with no resources but his own, and has through diligence and judicious use and improvement of opportunities, achieved an honorable and merited success.  He has always displayed a prominent interest in all worthy public enterprises, and especially of an educational character.  In 1856, he assisted in the organization of the National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio.  He celebrated his marriage in 1863, with Miss Virginia Johnson daughter of Baker Johnson, and a native of Camden County, N. J.  Six children were the fruits of this union; of these four are living, viz: Cora, Hattie V., Eugene R. and Florence L.  Willie B. and Clarence are deceased.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  91
  Pleasant Twp. -
WILEY W. YOUNG, lawyer, Georgetown, was born in Lewis Township, this county, May 13, 1834.  His father, Omega Young, was a native of Tazewell County, in Southern West Virginia, were he was born in 1798.  He came to Ohio in 1816, locating at Higginsport, Brown County.  He subsequently learned the shoe-maker's trade at Cincinnati, and followed that at Higginsport till 1830.  He then removed to a farm in Lewis Township, where he still resides.  At one time in his life, Mr. Young was a minister of the Christian denomination.  Mr. Young's mother, was Nancy Stayton, a native of Lewis Township.  She was the daughter of Jacob Stayton (an Englishman by birth and a native of New Jersey) and Mary Wise, a cousin of Henry A. Wise, Governor of Virginia.  Our subject was the first son and fourth child of a family of fourteen children, eleven of whom are living.  He was reared on the farm in Lewis Township, obtaining his early literary education in the district school, and subsequently attending the High School, at Felicity, Clermont Co., Ohio.  He was a farmer and a school teacher in early life.  In 1856, he commenced the study of law at Georgetown, with Hanson L. Penn, Esq., remaining with him till his admittance to the bar, in 1858.  He soon after opened an office in Georgetown, and has been in constant practice since.  He was a law partner of Judge D. W. C. Loudon for ten or twelve years, and in 1879 formed a partnership with W. S. Whiteman.  The firm at once attained and enjoyed a successful law practice.  In 1871, Mr. Young was admitted to practice in the Federal Courts, and has also practiced some in Kennedy.  His political views have been strongly Republican since the organization of that party.  Mr. Young was married Jan. 14, 1858, to Mary E. Graves, a native of Kanawha County, W. Va.  Six children have been given them, two living - Elizabeth and Wiley W., Jr.  In 1847, Mr. Young accompanied his sister to Felicity, Clermont County, on a visit.  While there he met his great-grandmother, Martha Chaffant, who was then one hundred and six years of age (and lived fifteen months longer); his grandmother, Tabitha Chaffant, aged seventy-eight (and lived to be eighty-eight or eighty-nine years old); his aunt, aged forty, who with himself and sister, represented four generations.  Mr. Young's grandfather, Fountain Young, was with Gen. Harrison, and suffered death at the battle of Thames in 1813.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  50
  Lewis Twp. -
WILLIAM YOUNG, retired farmer, Higginsport, is a son of William Young, Sr., and a grandson of William Lancaster - the latter serving in the war that freed our country from English tyranny, as mentioned in the sketch of Alfred N. YoungWilliam, whose name heads this sketch, was born in Bracken County, Ky., in 1802, and in March, 1828, came to Ohio, where he has since resided, having married on January 31, previous.  His life has been devoted mostly to teaming and farming, but time has bent his frame and silvered his hair, and he now lives retired.  His children were twelve in number, seven daughters and five sons.  Five are now living, of whom Daniel has given some time to the study of law, which he is practicing in Higginsport.  Mrs. Matilda Young was born Jan. 24, 1806, in Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of Stephen Calvin, who with his family located in Ohio in 1815, and in 1819 in Higginsport.  He was one of the first settlers in the village, and will be mentioned in the history of the town.  Mr. and Mrs. Young have trod the path of married life for over a half century, and now look back with pleasure on the scenes of their early life.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  127

.

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights