OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

.

BIOGRAPHIES

Source::
HISTORY OF BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the
Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Brown County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Published:  Chicago:  W. H. Beers & Co.
1883
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 

  Sterling Twp. -
STEPHEN WAITS, farmer, P. O. Eastwood, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Day) Waits, was born in Sterling Township Mar. 14, 1824.  Jacob Waits was born at Red Stone Fort, Penn.; came to Kentucky in 1802, and to Sterling Township soon after.  Elizabeth Day was born in Sterling Township Sept. 21, 1800, the first white child born on Crane Run.  Mr. Waits was married in Dec. 28, 1848, to Annie, daughter of Levi and Sarah Smallwood, and raised five children—Granville A., married Louisa, daughter of Hiram Malott; Henry, married Barbara, daughter of Alcana Malott; Sarah E., wife of Milton C. Ballanger; Minnie E., single and at home, and Iva Jane, also at home.  The two boys, Granville and Henry, are running a flouring mill at Mt. Oreb.  Mr. Waits is a model farmer and owns 195 acres of land, made by his own industry.  James Waits, his grandfather, was a soldier in the Revolution, and died at ninety-five years of age. Jacob Waits’ father moved to Missouri, and came back, and died at eighty-six years of age, after raising a family of twelve children.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 301
Huntington Twp. -
  HON. J. C. WALDRON, farmer, P. O. Aberdeen.  This gentleman, whose portrait appears in this work, was born in Adams County, Ohio, in 1817, and is a son of John and Rebecca M. (Cartwright) WaldronJohn Waldron was a son of David and Martha Waldron; he was a native of Scotland and she of Wales.  They located in Adams County, Ohio, in 1806, where they lived and died.  John Waldron was married to Rebecca, daughter of Peter Cartwright, and a relative of Peter Cartwright of itinerant preacher fame.  In 1829, he removed to near where  our subject lives, and purchased fifty acres of land, on which he died in 1838, aged forty-five years.  Eleven children were born to them, seven of whom are living, viz., John C., Francis P., Peter W., Mary, Margaret J., Eliza  and Etheldra.  The deceased are Andrew J., Elizabeth and two that died in infancy.  Mr. Waldron served in the war of 1812.  Our subject was reared on the farm, and had only twenty-nine days of schooling; his father dying when he was young, the care of the family devolved upon him.  On Nov. 18, 1841 he was married to Eleanor, the daughter of James and Alice Howard, after which he purchased the interest of the other heirs to his father's estate, on which he lived until 1858, when he purchased other land, living thereon till 1869, when he came to his present place of residence.  In 1869, he was the Democratic nominee for Representative of Brown County, was elected and served in the Legislature two years; he was re-elected and served two years longer.  During the first time, he was Commit_ee-man in "privileges and elections," and on "railroads."  The second term, in "claims and privileges" and "elections."  During the time he was in the Legislature, it is said by one  who knows, that Mr. Waldron was never called to a point of order, and that he never raised a question on a point of order without carrying his objection.  He has served as Justice of the Peace fifteen years; Assessor, four years; Constable, seven years; Clerk, one term, and Deputy Tax Collector, four years.  He has been a delegate to the State Democratic Convention many times, and always attends the Democratic Congressional and Senatorial Conventions.  In politics, he has been active for over forty years; was reared in the school of Democracy, and has been a zealous and warm supporter of that party's principles; he is a worthy member of the order of Odd Fellows, belonging to the subordinate lodge and Encampment; he is also an acceptable member of the Christian Church, to which he has belonged for more than forty years.  Mr. Waldron has made life a fair success; he began with no means; he has been liberal in his donations to worthy enterprises; and has always advocated public improvement.  By his first wife he had six children, all deceased, viz., Susanna, Millie J., Robert B., James D., Lewis E. and an infant.  Mrs. Waldron died Oct. 22, 1868, aged forty-six years; his second marriage was celebrated with Katie, the daughter of Edward and Orpha (Gray) McGee, Mar. 2, 1872, and by her has had two children, viz., Caleb A. and Joshua.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  177
  Huntington Twp. -
P. W. WALDRON, teacher and farmer, Aberdeen, was born Nov. 13, 1834, and is a son of John and Rebecca (Cartwright) Waldron.  His early education was received in distant schools, and afterward he enjoyed the privilege of a twenty-two months' term of study in the union school at Aberdeen, Ohio.  He has followed teaching very successfully for a period of twenty-seven years in the schools of his township; he has been Clerk and Assistant Clerk of the township for twenty years, and Mayor of Aberdeen one year; he is a member of Aberdeen Lodge, No. 137, I. O. O. F., and to Maysville, (Ky)  Encampment No. 133.  May 13, 1858, he was married to Mary E. the daughter of Colvin Shaw, by whom he has had the following children:  Elizabeth, Nellie, Jennie, Mary, Arbelia, William, Fred, Arthur, Lillie (deceased), and Frank (deceased).  Mr. Waldron is a Democrat in politics; his family and self are connected with the Christian Church.  In August, 1864, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Seventy-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  but was rejected after serving one month; he commanded the Third Independent Battery Ohio National Guards for two years.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  177
  Green Twp. -
JOHN WALLACE, farmer, P. O. Union Plains, was born April 17, 1811, in Huntington Township, Brown County, Ohio.  His parents were William and Sarah Wallace.  In his youth he was trained to the pursuits of farming, in which he is still engaged.  In January, 1837, he married Mary Evans, daughter of Judge Benjamin and Ruth Evans.  This union has been blessed with six children, four living - Benjamin, William, Andrew and Sarah.  In 1840, Mr. Wallace, located in the eastern portion of Green Township, where he now resides.  He has served as Trustee of Green Township four years, has also served as Justice of the Peace, and is the owner of 250 acres of land, in a high state of cultivation.  William Wallace, father of our subject, was born Jan. 7, 1780, in Pennsylvania; when a young man he emigrated to Kentucky, where in February, 1807k, he married Sarah Hawk, by whom he had ten children, six of whom are now living - John, Isaac, James, William, Richard and Rebecca.  In 1804 or 1805 he came to Brown County, Ohio, and settled in Huntington Township, where he remained until 1844-45, when he removed to Clay Township, Highland County, where he remained until his decease Jan. 14, 1865.  His wife died Aug. 4, 1853.  Thus passed away not only one of Brown County's pioneers, but one of our most upright and reliable citizens.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  272
  Green Twp. -
WILLIAM WALLACE, farmer, P. O. Union Plains, was born May 4, 1843, in Green Township, Brown County, Ohio.  He is one of the sons of John and Mary Wallace, whose sketch appears in this work.  He was reared to manhood on a farm, and received but a rudimentary education.  On Dec. 30, 1865, he married Maria L. Chaffin, born Oct. 5, 1845, daughter of Margaret and Solomon Chaffin.  To them have been born three children - Ruth, Melissa and Alva.  Mr. Wallace has always been a resident of Green Township, in which he is recognized as a prominent agriculturist.  Solomon Chaffin, father of Mrs. Wallace, was born in Ross County, Ohio.  He has been twice married, the first time to Margaret Siders by whom he had five children, and next to Elizabeth Adair, by whom he had five children.  In March, 1866, he moved to McLean County, Ill. , where he at present resides.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  272
  Pike Twp. -
F. M. WARDLOW, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Mt. Oreb, was born in Pike Township, Brown County, on Feb. 19, 1840, and is a son of Robert and Charity Wardlow, who were both born in Brown County.  Robert was born in 1810, and Charity was born in 1812.   They were married about the year 1847.  They were the parents of twelve children, of whom six are now living.  F. M. Wardlow is the second son, and second child of his father's family.  He was married Jan. 5, 1860, to Sarah Ellen Dye.  Soon after his marriage, he purchased ninety-three acres of land, which he cultivated for a short time, but thinking that he could better his location, he sold out and purchased 110 acres where he now resides, which is better adapted to farming and stock raising; to the latter he turns his attention more particularly.  He raises a great many sheep, and has at the present time on his farm, over 500 head, which he intends shipping to Texas his fall to the sheep ranch, owned y him and Dr. Bivans of New Hope, Brown County.  The ranch is located on a tract of 1,920 acres, which they recently purchased.  Mr. Wardlow acquired a common school education in the common schools of Ohio.  He and his wife both belong to the Methodist Church at Mt. Oreb, when they have been members for several years.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  221
  Franklin Twp. -
ISAAC WATERS, P. O. Arnheim, a very prominent citizen of this township, was born in Jefferson Township, Brown County, Ohio, Jan. 5, 1820.  His father, James Waters, was a native of Kentucky, a farmer by occupation, but a natural mechanic.  He accompanied his father, Isaac Waters, to Ohio at a very early day, locating in Brown County, on the farm now owned by Nelson Watterman, of Pleasant Township.  He resided there till married, and then removed into the neighborhood of the old county seat, at "Slab Camp," afterward to Jackson Township, and subsequently to Illinois.  He returned to Jackson Township, and there died.  He married Elizabeth Wallace, a native of this county.  Of the three children born to them, our subject is the only survivor.  When two years old, his mother departed this life, and his father subsequently married Margaret McKee, of Pleasant Township.  Eight children were born to this latter union.  Mrs. Waters is still living, and resides near Russellville, in Jefferson Township.  Our subject was reared in Jackson Township, remaining at home until trips to and from New Orleans, each in the winter season.  During these trips, he obtained what education he ever received, the amount being somewhat limited.  In August, 1842, he married Lucinda Greathouse, a native of Jackson Township.  He then went to farming, renting land for a year or two, and subsequently purchasing fifty-two acres, on which he resided two years.  He then sold his farm and removed to Carlisle, where he lived one year.  He then re-engaged in farming, and in 1860 purchased a saw-mill at Carlisle.  In 1864, he bought 105 acres of his present farm, and has since added seventy-five acres to his purchase.  This farm is one of the best in Franklin Township, and mostly under cultivation.  Isaac Waters was formerly connected with the M. E. denomination, but of late years has been a prominent member of the Christian Union Church, having been most of the offices in that body.  During the war, Mr. Waters was commissioned by Gov. David Tod Captain of a company of militia at Carlisle, in Jackson Township, and on one occassion made a trip to Ripley to defend that city against a supposed raid from Morgan, the rebel General.  He in Democratic in politics, has held nearly all the township offices, and in 1879 was elected Justice of the Peace, which position he now fills.  He is also connected with the Masonic Fraternity at Russellville.  He is the father of twelve children, five  dying in infancy and four now living - Martha Ann, wife of Francis Parker, a farmer of this township; William G., a farmer of Franklin Township; Caroline, wife of John Paul, of this township, and F. P., at home.  Mrs. Waters has been an invalid for many years.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  211
  Byrd Twp. -
JOHN WEST, farmer, an old and highly esteemed pioneer of Brown County, was born Jan. 1, 1797.  He is a son of John and Eleanor West.  His father was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and emigrated to Brown County, with his family, in 1798, and lived four years under the Territorial government of Ohio.  He died in August, 1808, aged fifty years.  Our subject was reared to manhood on the farm.  In 1816 he located on a farm one-half mile north of his present farm, and in 1832 removed to his present location.  He was married, Jan. 15, 1817, to Louisa Steward, daughter of Joseph and Lovina Steward, by whom he had the following children - Susan, Eleanor, James, William W., Joseph S., Abigail and Caroline.  Mr. West is a prominent member of the Christian Church.  Politically, he is a Democrat.  He served his township as Trustee and Treasurer for many years.  He owns a valuable farm of 202 acres, and has always pursued that avocation.  Mr. West was born at Kenton Station, Ky., and when one year of age his parents removed to Brown County, where he has spent the remainder of his life.  He has passed the meridian of life, and is now going down into the shades of the valley.  Over fourscore years of his existence have been employed in the growth and improvement of Brown County.  His hand of assistance has been felt in the church and its missions, and in all educational, benevolent and charitable enterprises, and his life can be said to have been one of usefulness and success.  He reared a large family, all of whom are filling positions of usefulness and respectability.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  304
  Scott Twp. -
HENRY WARDLOW, farmer, P. O. New Hope, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Nesbit) Wardlow, was born in the present limits of Brown County, May 12, 1812; his parents were both natives of Virginia; his father came to Ohio in 1798, with his grandfather, and settled near the Forks of White Oak Creek, with no white settler within ten miles of them.  His father served a campaign in the war of 1812, and his uncle William Wardlow was wounded at St. Clair's defeat, so he was unable to make his retreat, and the last seen of him he was sitting against a tree and said, "I will try and save another red skin before I die."  The pioneer life of the Wardlows would be voluminous and interesting, but much of it is lost.  The subject of this sketch was married to Mary L., daughter of Benjamin Purdum, and raised a family of seen children - William (married Maxie, daughter of John Wright), Benjamin F. (married Sarah, daughter of William Campbell).  Elizabeth (wife of O. F. Dunn deceased), Mary M. (wife of Peter McKee), Thomas (married Margaret, daughter of Frances M. Patton), James (married Maranda J., daughter of John Davison), Nancy (wife of J. J. Hiler).  Mr. Wardlow settled just above the village of New Hope, where he owns 166  acres of well-cultivated land.  He also owns and runs a portable saw-mill.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  257
  Byrd Twp. -
REV. J. S. WEST, pastor of the Church of Christ, Liberty Chapel, charge, is the third son of John and Lovina West.  He was born in Byrd Township Dec. 7, 1825.  He received his education in Franklin College, Harrison County, Ohio, from which he graduated in September, 1854.  When of age, he engaged in teaching which he followed at intervals for thirty years.  In April, 1855, he was assigned the pastorate of Liberty Chapel charge, and labored with its people till 1857, when he was honored with the trust of Representative.  He served two years with credit to himself and to the utmost satisfaction of his constituents.  In 1859, he resumed charge of Liberty Chapel, and has since been its pastor.  His labors as minister have been efficient, and the church under his care has prospered.  Apr. 26, 1855, he was united  in holy matrimony with Miss Susan Dixon, daughter of William and Mary (Carr) Dixon.  Mrs. West was born in Union Township, Apr. 28, 1833.  This union was blessed with the following children, viz.:  Louise, John W., Mary L., William N., Thomas A., James H., Joseph S., Oscar A., Martha E., Sadie W. and Susie.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  304
  Clark Twp. -
ZECHARIAH WEST, farmer, P. O. Hamersville, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, May 10, 1813.  He was a son of Thomas and Barbara (Grey) West, both natives of Pennsylvania.  The former was born Dec. 19, 1785, and died Apr. 5, 1878; the latter was born May 12, 1790, and died Mar. 15, 1866.  They had ten children, of whom our subject was the oldest son and third child.  The father was a farmer by occupation, and paid for the first fifty acres of land he ever owned by splitting rails and clearing ground.  It is said of him that he could read without glasses at the age of ninety-two,  and that he was never involved in litigation of any kind in all his long and eventful life.  His father died when he was but a youth, and he was taken by his grandfather from Pennsylvania to Kentucky.  He emigrated to Clermont County at an early day, and in 1814 settled in Lewis Township, Brown County.  Our subject received a very limited education in the subscription schools of pioneer days.  He was early trained to farm labor, and chose farming for an occupation.  He commenced life by working for his father, receiving an interest in the crops for his compensation.  After working four years in this manner and when twenty-four years old he purchased a small tract of land and began farming for himself.  In 1838, he married Rebecca Jennings, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Parker) Jennings.  She was born Feb. 7, 1818, and died Dec. 15, 1865.  By her Mr. West had nine children, viz., Mary Ellen, Thomas Hamer (deceased), James Irwin (a minister now in charge of a congregation at Germantown, Ky.), William Worth, Alvin Miller, Laurin, Minnie, John Franklin (deceased), and Carr.  The family are all members of the Christian Church.  Mr. West is a Democrat; has been Township Trustee ten or twelve years, and a School Director most of the time since he was twenty-one years of age.  He is a strong temperance man, but never took but one pledge, and that was his pledge to the church.  He promised his mother in his youth never to drink, and has lived his long life true to that promise.  His family are all grown up and doing well, and now as he looks back on his long and well-spent life, he can see but few changes that he could make for the better.  He is a prominent farmer, and one of the most respected and highly honored citizens of this township.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  195
  Huntington Twp. -
ADAM WHITE (deceased) was born in one of the New England States July 13, 1765, and was a son of Peter and Eve (Fox) White, natives of Germany.  In 1795, our subject came to this country, and for five years lived near the mouth of Eagle Creek, then settled where his descendants now reside, purchasing at the time 180 acres of land.  He was married to Susanna Osborne, by whom he had eight children.  He was a prominent man, and held many local offices which he filled with credit and satisfaction.  The following are the names of their children, viz.: Daniel, Solomon and Eve, living; Catherine, Nancy, Adam, Christopher and Anna, deceased.  Mr. White died Mar. 28, 1854.  She died Apr. 6, 1852.  He served in the Revolutionary war, substituting himself in his father's stead.  Eve White, the daughter of Adam White, was born Dec. 23, 1809.  She was married to John White in 1831, by whom she had eight children, viz.: Sallie A., Henry, George H., Elizabeth and Abner, living, and Nancy, Susan and Adam, deceased.  George H. was a member of Company F, Seventieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; enlisted Apr. 7, 1861, served till May 1862, when, on account of disability, he came home on furlough.  In January, 1863, he returned, and Sept. 4, of the same year, was discharged.  Abner was a member of the Sixty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Enlisted Oct. 12, 1864, and served till the war closed.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  177
  Union Twp. -
ALBERT WHITE, grocer, Ripley.  Mr. White began business in this city in 1866, opening on Main street, near the river.  Subsequently, he entered into partnership with with Mr. Devore, which firm continued until the spring of 1879, when the company dissolved, and Mr. White established himself in his present location, and is in the enjoyment of a well-earned trade.  He was born in Clermont County, Ohio, in 1844, and is the youngest son of George B. and Elizabeth (Evans) White.  He was a native of England and a graduate of Cambridge College, near London. He practiced law until he received a commission from King George as Chaplain in the English Army, in which he served on the Island of Madras.  At the close of his service, he set sail to America and located in Clermont County in 1843.  He came to Ripley in 1848. and engaged in teaching school, which he followed until his death in 1851.  Soon after his death, our subject entered the printing office of the Ohio State Journal at Columbus, Ohio, and remained two years.  In 1864, he enlisted in the Fourth Ohio Independent Cavalry, and served until the close of the war.  He participated at the battle of Atlanta July 21, and was assigned to McPherson’s escort, and joined Sherman on his march to the sea.  He was married in 1874 to Miss Mary Kendle, a native of this county, to whom were born three children; one son, Frank, is living.  She died in December, 1880, and he was again united to a sister, Sarah Kendle.  Both were daughters of Leroy J. Kendle, of this county.  Mr. White served as Township Treasurer two years, and is a member of the Blue Lodge of Masons.  He has always contributed liberally to the Methodist Episcopal Church in which he feels an interest, and in all things pertaining to the advancement of religion and education.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  89
  Pleasant Twp. -
COL. CARR B. WHITE (deceased) was born in Mason County, Ky., Feb. 8, 1824.  He was named after old Capt. Carr Bailey, who was seven years a Captain of a Virginia volunteer company during the Revolutionary war.  Col. White was a son of John D. and Margaret R. (Baker) White, native of the Old Diminion.  He accompanied his parents to Ohio when two years of age, and was reared and educated in Georgetown.  In early life he studied medicine, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Penn., about the year 1848.  He immediately commenced the practice of his profession at Point Isabel, in Clermont Co., Ohio.  He subsequently removed to Feesburg and Russellville, in this county, and in 1856 or 1857, located at Georgetown, where he resided till his death.  He was an eminent physician and during his medical career, enjoyed an extensive and lucrative practice.  During the Mexican war he was Captain of Company G, First Regiment Ohio Volunteers, and served Gen. Hamer's Brigade, under Gen. Z. Taylor, for one year, his term of enlistment.  He returned home and there resided till the commencement of the civil war.  He raised a company of volunteers and had the honor to report the first company of volunteers ready for service to the Governor of Ohio.  The company was accepted, and he was made Colonel at the Twelfth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the three months; service.  At the expiration of this time he re-enlisted, and continued at the head of his regiment till the war closed.  He was brevetted in Brigadier General and commanded a brigade.  The full rank was finally conferred upon him.  During the war, he participated in the battles of Carnifax Ferry, South Mountain, South Mountain, Second Bull Run, Antietam and a number of other serious engagements.  He was a "War Democrat," and voted for Lincoln when he was re-nominated.  Col. White's father was the teacher of Gen. Grant, when the latter was a lad, and attending school in the old brick schoolhouse on "Dutch Hill," in Georgetown.  Gen. Grant was sent to West Point at the suggestion of John D. White and the Solicitation of Congressman Thomas L. Hamer.  Himself and Col. White were firm friends, and when he became President he appointed Col. White as Assessor of Internal Revenue of this district, which position he held at the time of his death.  Col. White married Melita E. Waterman, a native of this county.  Two children are living.  The oldest was named Ulysses Grant White, after the General.  When the latter was President, he further remembered the kindness of Col. White and his father, by appointing U. G. as a cadet to West Point.  He graduated from that military post, and entered the army as a Lieutenant, serving as such for a term of years.  He resigned his commission and accepted a position as Civil Engineer on the South Pacific Railroad, serving as such until the financial crisis of '73 caused the company to suspend operations.  He was then appointed an Examiner in the Patent Office, but resigned to accept the position of Chief Engineer, in control of the United States Navy Yard at Boston, Mass, where he now officiates.  Col. Carr B. White was a physician of the very first rank, an excellent soldier and an exemplary Christian.  No man stood higher in the estimation of the people of Georgetown and Brown County.  He departed this life on Sept. 30, 1881, leaving a wife and two children.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 47
  Pleasant Twp. -
HON. CHILTON B. WHITE, of White, McKnight & White, Georgetown, was born in Georgetown Feb. 6, 1826.  He was named after Chilton Allen, who represented a Kentucky district in Congress, for thirteen years.  Mr. White is a son of John D. White, a native of Virginia, and a school teacher and surveyor by occupation.  He removed from Virginia to North Carolina; thence to Kentucky, and in 1825 located at Georgetown, Brown Co., Ohio.  He was Surveyor of Brown County thirteen years and County Treasurer, eight years.  He died at Georgetown in May 1855.  He married Margaret R. Baker, also a native of the Old Dominion.  Our subject is the third child and son of a family of nine children - four daughters and five sons - two of whom are living.  He grew to manhood in Georgetown, receiving a good education in the public schools of the village.  In early life, he taught school for three years, during this time studying law with Thomas L. Hamer.  When the Mexican war commenced, Mr. Hamer was made Major of a regiment, and Mr. White accompanied him to the field, being subsequently made Orderly Sergeant of Company G, First Regiment Mexican Volunteers, from Ohio, his brother, Carr B., being Captain of the company.  During the early part of the war, Gen. Hamer died, and after a year's service, Mr. White returned to Georgetown, finishing his law studies with Sanders W. Johnson, Gen. Hamer's son-in-law.  He was admitted to practice in November, 1848, and soon after formed a partnership with his brother, Grafton B. White, of Wilmington, Clinton Co., Ohio, remaining with him two years.  He then returned to Georgetown and opened an office.  He was a law partner of Col. John G. Marshall for five or six years, and subsequently practiced with Col. D. W. C. Loudon.  In 1876, he became senior member of the firm of White, McKnight & White.  In his legal practice, Mr. White has been uniformly successful.  He owns a good residence, located on fifty-two acres of land, all within the corporate limits of Georgetown, and also a farm of 160 acres in Pleasant Township, two and a half miles north of Georgetown.  Mr. White was united in marriage, Apr. 13, 1852, to Fannie Boyles, a native of Brown County.  Three children were born to them - Edward B., John D. (junior member of White, McKnight & White), and Mary I.  Mrs. White was a member of the Catholic Church, and died in that faith, Aug. 2, 1881.  Mary I. is also a member of the Catholic Church, and received a fine education at Ursuline Convent, at St. Martin's, in Perry Township, this county.  Mr. White's father was a Democrat, and our subject was reared in the political faith of that party.  In 1852, he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Brown County, and was the Democratic nominee for Probate Judge in 1854.  In 1859, he was nominated and subsequently elected to the Ohio Senate from Brown and Clermont Counties, and during his term of service was elected to Congress, commencing this term of service during the extra session of June, 1861.  He was re-elected in 1862, and served till Mar. 4, 1865.  Mr. White was a candidate for the third term.  He carried the district on the home vote by 880 majority, but was defeated in the entire district, by the large Republican vote of the soldiers.  Since that period, Mr. White has taken no active part in politics.  While a member of the Ohio Senate, he was an honored member of the Judiciary Committee.  In 1873, he was a delegate to the Ohio Constitutional Convention, and was appointed on the Judiciary Committee, serving with the following-named gentlemen:  Sherlock J. Andrews, Thomas Ewing, John W. Herron, D. D. T. Cowen, Rufus King, Thomas Thompson, Thomas Beer, Thomas J. Godfrey, Charles H. Scribner, John C. Hale, Mills Gardner, William Sample, Barnabas Burns, Henry S. Neal, Charles H. Michener, Joseph D. Horton and James W. Riley.  Mr. White is probably the oldest living resident of Georgetown, having resided there nearly fifty-seven years.  He is a man of good judgment, unassuming manners, frank and open hearted, and respected and honored by all.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 47
  Lewis Twp. -
JOHN E. WHITE
, merchant, Feesburg, is a native of Italy, and since 1853 an American citizen.  He came to Brown County in 1856, but subsequently spent two years in the South.  At the outbreak of the rebellion, he was in Brown County, Ohio, where he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving until the expiration of his enlisted term, three months when he returned home, and in August, 1862, re-enlisted in Company K, Fifty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving about nine months, when he was discharged on account of a wound received while in the battle of Stone River on Dec. 31, 1862.  His left arm still remains stiff from the effects of the wound.  He returned home, and in 1864 married Harriet Powell, by whom he has five children, all living.  Soon after his marriage, he engaged in farming, which he followed until 1869, when he embarked in the mercantile trade in Feesburg, and now enjoys a liberal patronage in his line, groceries, hardware and confectionery.  He is a man forty-three years of age, and has made his way through life by starting with no means, but with a full determination to succeed.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 124
  Union Twp. -
T. J. WHITE, Superintendent of Boyd Manufacturing Company, Levanna.  Mr. White was born in Mason County, Ky., in 1845, and is a son of Peyton and Virginia (Owens) White, both natives of that State, where he died in 1857.  He left home when nineteen years of age, and three years after engaged as book-keeper in the lumber business at Maysville, Ky.  In 1874, he came to Ripley, and engaged with the Boyd Manufacturing Company as traveling salesman, which business he followed until 1878, when he was installed as book-keeper for the company at Levanna, a position that he filled until 1881, when he was appointed to the superintendency of the mills at that place.  He was married to Miss Anna B., daughter of Philip Rossman, in 1877.  Mr. White has been a member of the I. O. O. F. since 1869.  Mr. and Mrs. White have a family of three children - Thomas J., Jr., John S. and Catharine.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  90
  Lewis Twp. -
WILLIAM M. WHITE, saw-miller and carpenter, Feesburg, is a son of Sylvester White, who was born on July 5, 1891, in what is now Brown County, Ohio, near Higginsport, where he matured as a farmer boy.  His educational privileges were few, but he embraced them as best he could.  He was his father's valuable assistant until his marriage with Margaret Davidson, of Union Township, where she was born Nov. 12, 1807.  Soon after marriage, they settled on White Oak, and have since lived in Brown County, save one year spent in Indiana.  His last earthly residence was in R. K. Mead, Survey, No. 1664, Lewis Township.  On June 5, 1851, his death occurred prematurely and accidentally.  White at a barn-raising, a falling pike-pole struck his head, breaking the skull, and causing almost instant death.  He was a man five feet and ten inches high, strong and energetic.  His children were six in number, of whom four are now living, viz.:  James T., John C., Mary E. and William M.  His widow married for her second husband Alfred Brown, but now resides with her son, William whose name heads this sketch.  He is the youngest child, and was born Sept. 15, 1837, in Pleasant Township, but from nine years of age has been a resident of Lewis Township, where he matured on the farm.  Thus he continued until February, 1865, when he entered the army in Company K, One Hundred and Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war.  He was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., returned home, engaged in carpentering, and in 1869 took in connection the saw-milling business, which he has jointly conducted since; the first mill on this seat was erected in 1848, and succeeded by the present one in 1868.  Mr. White was married, Dec. 18, 1870, to Miss Austrailia Morgan, born Sept. 10, 1850, in Clermont County, Ohio, where she was raised.  She and Mr. White have six children, of whom five are now living.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 123
  Lewis Twp. -
ISAAC D. WILLIAMS
, farmer, P. O. Higginsport, is a son of Isaac D. Williams, Sr., and a grandson of Waldon Williams.  The latter, one of the early settlers of Brown County, purchased a farm on Bullskin about 1813, and remained a resident until about 1829, when he located in Clermont County, but finally settled in Adams County, where he and wife both died.  Of their twelve children, Isaac D., Sr., the seventh child, was born in Lewis Township, in 1817, but matured in Clermont County, and in 1848 married Priscilla, daughter of Jacob Stayton.  In a short time after his marriage was solemnized, Isaac D., Sr., died, leaving a young widow, who, in 1849, had born to her a son, whose name heads this sketch, and on Nov. 4, 1856, Priscilla died, aged thirty-four years eight months and one day.  The subject of this sketch was left parentless at an early age, and was raised by his aunt, Hannah Stayton.  He received a common school education, and has always devoted his time to farming.  To this pursuit, he has given his time closely, and managed economically, which has resulted in the ownership of a farm of ninety acres, the original home of Jacob Stayton.  He was married to Sarah P. Beebe, a descendant of an early pioneer family of Clark Township.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 124
  Clark Twp. -
THOMAS J. WILLIAMS, farmer, P. O. Hamersville, was born in Clark Township Apr. 8, 1844.  His parents were Robert Williams, a native of Delaware, and Jane (Stricklin) Williams, a native of Ohio, both of English descent.  Our subject received a common school education.  In 1879, he engaged in mercantile business in Clermont County where he remained two years, after which he moved to New Hope, this county, where he continued the same business two years.  In 1872, he took full charge of his father's farm of 280 acres, where he now resides.  In 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-eighth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Capt. Ross, in which he was appointed Corporal.  In 1864, he re-enlisted in the same regiment, Capt. Andrew Cochran, and served until the close of the war.  At the battle of Red River he was taken prisoner, and for six months suffered all the horrors of rebel prison life.  H participated in the following engagements:  Battle of Shiloh, Chickasaw Mountain, Port Gibson, Champion Hills, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., and Fort Blakesly and battle of Mansfield.  In 1869, he married Cynthia Ann Milner, a daughter of William Milner.  By her he has had four children, all living, viz., Mattie G., Carl H., Phillip E., Robbie Ray.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  195
  Scott Twp. -
JOSEPH H. WILLS, farmer, P. O. Georgetown, was born in Scott Township Dec. 2, 1810; he is a son of John T. Wills, a native of Virginia, of Irish descent, and Margaret (McFadden) Wills of German descent.  He received a common school education, and in addition to farming, learned the trade of a chair-maker under his father.  HE remained farming for himself.  After several changes, both in occupation and location, he settled in Scott Township, where he now owns 320 acres of land.  On Oct. 1, 1833, he married Elizabeth Hindman, a native of Brown County, and a daughter of William Hindman.  By this union twelve children were born, of whom five survive.  Mrs. Wills died in 1851, and in 1852 Mr. Wills married Hannah, daughter of Josiah Rhoten.  She was born in Kentucky in 1807.  They are members of the Presbyterian Church, in which he was occupied the offices of Trustee, Superintendent of Sabbath School and Member of Session.  He is a stanch Republican, and for years prior to the rebellion, was an active factor of the Underground Railroad.  His second marriage has been without issue.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 258
  Huntington Twp. -
CORNELIUS WILSON, farmer, P. O. Hiett, is a son of Stephen and Mary (Laney) Wilson, when they emigrated to Ohio and settled on land on Brush Fork of Eagle Creek, where he purchased 130 acres of wild land.  He erected a small cabin and immediately began cleaning up and improving.  On this land he made a permanent home and prospered.  He was a Trustee of his township, but in general was a gentleman with little or no aspiration for political honors.  To him were born eight children, six of whom grew to manhood and womanhood, namely, Solomon, John, Cornelius, Mary, Sarah and Lucinda.  Stephen Wilson died Sept. 2, 1871, aged seventy-five years.  His wife died Oct. 20, 1870, aged seventy-five years six months and three days.  Our subject was born on the old home farm in the year29.  His early life was passed on the farm and he received only a common education in the district schools.  He remained with his parents until his marriage, Dec. 25, 1858, to Josephine, the daughter of John W. and Sarah (Haines) Games, old settlers, whose sketch appears in this book.  After his marriage he settled where he now resides, and at present owns 225 acres of well-improved and highly cultivated land.  To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson seven children have been born, six of whom are living, namely, Lillie L., John M., William K., Anna L., Homer G. and Sallie.  Mary deceased, aged eleven months.  He and his wife are members of the Fellowship Christian church, with which they have been connected for twenty years.   Sarah (Haines) Games, mother of Mrs. Josephine Wilson, was a daughter of William and Harriet (McKendy) Haines, who were among the early settlers.  They were from Virginia, and settled here in an early day.  they settled on land now owned by Jeremiah Swisher, which they purchased.  Here they made a permanent home till their decease.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  178
  Pike Twp. -
DAVID WILSON, farmer, P. O. New Harmony, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, Jan. 9, 1826; he is a son of Reuben and Lida WilsonReuben was born in Vermont in 1796, and Lida in New York some time afterward.  They were married in Vermont, and emigrated to Ohio, where they remained until her death.  The father of our subject died in 1849, and the mother, 1859.  David Wilson was united in marriage with Lucinda Winter Jan. 18, 1849.  Soon after he engaged in farming for himself as a renter, thus he continued until he bought twenty-five acres of land but that did not seem to suit him, so he sold, and bought twenty-five acres where he now resides, and has since added until he owns fifty-eight acres, which is in a high state of cultivation.  He acquired a common School Education, and has been Township Assessor of Pike Township, also a member of the Board of Education.  Mr. Wilson was twice married.  His second marriage was celebrated Aug. 14, 1877.  He is the father of twelve children, viz.:  Malinda, John, George, Elizabeth, Reuben, Jane, William, Nettie, Lida, Charles, Louella and Ora D.  Mr. Wilson is a member of the Methodist Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  221
  Sterling Twp. -
GEORGE W. WILSON, farmer, P. O. Eastwood, son of Curtis and Isabel (Gray) Wilson, was born in Sterling Township, Brown Co., Ohio, May 1, 1834.  His father was a native of Vermont, and his mother of Hamilton County.  George Gray, grandfather, was a soldier of the war of 1812, and was the largest man in his regiment, being six feet and seven inches in his stockings, and weighing 250 pounds.  The subject of this sketch was married, in 1862, to Amelia Bell, daughter of Steward and Minerva Rounds.  They have six children - Alice (wife of John M. Arthur), William, Steward, Lawrence, Bertha, Isaac Sharp.  Mr. Wilson was raised on a farm, and now occupies a nice little farm of his own near Eastwood Station on the C. & E. R. R.  He is a Democrat of the old school.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  301
  Clark Twp. -
LEVI WILSON, farmer and dealer in agricultural implements, Hamersville, was born in Clark Township, Brown Co., Ohio, Jan. 26, 1836.  His parents were Levi and Elizabeth (Anderson) Wilson, natives of Vermont, and of English and Irish descent.  Mr. Wilson was reared on the old homestead, and remained there until thirty years of age.  He then engaged in the saw mill and subsequently in the machinery business.  He is agent for the Aultman & Taylor machines, and the "Peerless Reaper."  He handles all kinds of farming machinery, and enjoys a good trade.  Politically, his views are Democratic, and he has served two terms as Township Trustee.  He was married in 1861, to Louise Redman, a daughter of Lafayette Redman, who departed this life May 8, 1874.  Three children were born to them - Lerastus, Lanella and Lafayette.  Mr. Wilson's second marriage was in1879, to Alice, daughter of Thomas Moore, and a native of this county.  They have three children - Alice, Lena and EstellaMrs. Wilson is a member of the Christian Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  196
  Pleasant Twp. -
PETER WILSON, Georgetown, Deputy Auditor, and one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Brown County, was born in England April 30, 1806.  He is a son of William H. Wilson, who was a merchant and manufacturer of woolen goods.  He came to America, in 1818, locating first at Philadelphia, where his family subsequently joined him.  He afterward removed to Pittsburgh, and, on Dec. 24, 1818, landed in Lewis Township, below August, Ky.  Soon after, he removed to Washington, Ky., and subsequently to Missouri.  He came back to Brown County, and was engaged at his business through life.  He resided with our subject some years, and died at his daughter's house, in Cincinnati.  He married Elizabeth Wild, who died many years ago.  "Squire Peter Wilson," as he was familiarly called, was reared in Brown County, and in early life clerked for two years at Augusta, Ky.  He then read medicine with Dr. Keith two years, and afterward went to Georgetown, where he was employed as clerk.  After again studying medicine, this time with Dr. Buckner, in 1826, he engaged in keeping a tavern, on the present site of the American House.  Here he remained in business twenty-years, and became acquainted with nearly all the citizens of Brown and adjoining counties.  In the fall of 1846, he sold his property, and , the following spring, purchased a farm of 250 acres, on Straight Creek, lying in Pleasant, Franklin and Jefferson Townships.  Squire Wilson has resided in one house since 1847, but voted in the three different townships.  He was a "Jacksonian Democrat" in early days, and is still an earnest advocate of the principles promulgated by "Old Hickory."  He has been County Commissioner, Auditor and Treasurer, by appointment, and has been connected with the Auditor's office, in some capacity, almost continuously since 1835.  Squire Wilson was the first Mason initiated into the order in Brown County; was the first High Priest of the Chapter at Georgetown, and the first officer in the Council.  He was Master of the Russellville, Lodge twenty-years.  He has officiated both as a School Director and Examiner.  Squire Wilson was married, in 1826, to Paulina Woods, born on the present site of Georgetown.  Of the thirteen children given them, seven are living - Mary A., Gustavus A., John W., Amanda V., Lewis C., Franklin P. and Bertha J., familiarity known as "Sallie."
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  49
  Clark Twp. -
ROBERT M. WILSON (deceased), was born in Adams County, Ohio, Aug. 1, 1819.  He was the son of Ralph and Martha Wilson, natives of Pennsylvania, of German descent.  He was reared on the farm and received a common school education.  His father dying when he was young, he had to support his widowed mother during his early life, and watched over her affairs until her death.  He took a deep interest in religious matters, and was a consistent member of the Disciples' Church, in which he was a Deacon and Elder.  He was a Democrat in politics, and for several years held the office of Justice of the Peace.  He was twice married, his first wife being Margaret A. Plummer, by whom he had five children, viz.:  S. B. S., a physician of Olathe, Kan.; George W., an attorney of Minnesota; Nathan; Mary, wife of John Mitchell, of this township; and Robert F., a citizen of Olathe, Kan.  His second wife was a widow, who had three children, viz., John J., George P. and Mollie J.  Her maiden name was Lucy M. Moyer, and by her Mr. Wilson had three children - Scott Miller, Harrison C. and Lauretta Bell.  Mrs. Wilson since the decease of her husband and taken control of the farm, which she manages and has worked under her superintendence.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  196
  Jefferson Twp. -
PETER S. WOMACKS, farmer, P. O. Russellville, was born June 2, 1826, in Franklin Township, Brown Co., Ohio.  His parents were Terry and Roxie (Reynolds) Womacks.  He received a good English education, which he acquired, principally, by studying at night in a log-cabin, and burning hickory bark in a fire-place as a means of obtaining light.  When about nineteen years of age he began to teach school, which he followed for perhaps eighteen years, during the fall and winter terms, and during the summer season his time was devoted to farming.  On Apr. 7, 1848, he married Amanda Heaton, by whom he had eleven children, eight of whom are still living; she died in July, 1870.  He again married in December, 1874, this time to Jennie Hunter, by whom he had one child - Ettie L.  He is a member of the Russellville Lodge, F. & A. M., of which he is, with one exception, the oldest member, and has been Worshipful Master for two terms.  In 1864, he was elected Clerk of Jefferson Township, and served one year.  While residing in Eagle Township, he served three years as Justice of the Peace.  He is of Democratic antecendents, of Greenback proclivities and Republican convictions.  Mr. Womacks is one of our substantial, self-made men, and a more honorable, law-abiding citizen of Brown County cannot bring forth.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  244
  Clark Twp. -
GEORGE WOOD, farmer, P. O. Georgetown, was born in Byrd Township, Brown Co., Ohio, Feb. 20, 1834.  His father, Nicholas Wood, was born in Kentucky, and emigrated to Brown County in 1812.  His mother, Margaret (Blair) Wood, was a native of Ohio, and both parents were of English extraction.  His grandfather, Nicholas Wood, Sr., was a soldier of the Revolutionary war, and George Wood, the uncle of our subject, was a soldier in the war of 1812.  The early life of the subject of this sketch was spent in teaching, and for three years he was a member of the faculty of the Commercial College at Cincinnati.  In 1862, he commenced his present occupation of farming, and since that time has successfully followed that peaceful calling.  In 1862, he married Annetta Richards, a native of this county, of English decent, and a daughter of Charles Richards.  They have had the following children:  W. C., Charles E., Emmont W., Lewis E., Maggie E., James E., deceased, and John A., deceased.  The parents are both members of the M. E. Church, in which Mr. Wood has been Steward, Class-Leader and Clerk.  HE is a Democrat in politics, Township Trustee and Township Clerk, and a prominent member of Georgetown Lodge, No. 72, F. & A. M.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 196
  Clark Twp. -
S. S. WOOD, farmer, P. O. Hamersville, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, Apr. 14, 1844.  He is a son of Absalom and Phebe Wood, the former a native of Ohio, of English and German descent, and the latter a native of Kentucky, of Irish descent.  Our subject received a common school education, and for his life work chose the occupation of his father, farming, at which he has since continued.  He married in 1866, to Miss Mary J. Smith, a native of Clermont County, and a daughter of S. S. Smith, a prominent farmer of that county.  Their union was blessed with three children, viz., Alva C., Minnie and Ross.  Mr. and Mrs. Wood are embers of the Christian Church, in which he has been an Elder and Trustee.  He is a Democrat in politics, and has served his district as School Director in the past.  He is a practical farmer and raises, among other stock, some fine horses.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  196
  Perry Twp. -
JOHN WOOD, sample room and grocery, St. Martin's son of Charles and Ann (Morgan) Wood, was born in St. Martin's in 1857.  When seventeen years of age, he went to Cincinnati, where he remained three years.  In the spring of 1878, he opened a sample room and grocery, where he also keeps cigars, tobacco, etc.  He was married Jan. 16, 1882, to Louisa Noel, a native of Kentucky.  Mr. Wood own his place of business, also residence and lot.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  148
  Pleasant Twp. -
B. F. WOODS, Deputy Recorder of Brown County, Georgetown, was born in Pleasant Township, this county, Jan. 8, 1835.  His paternal grandparents were Nathan and Jane Stewart (Wood), natives of Washington County, Penn., who located in this county about 1800.  Both resided here till death.  Mr. Woods' father was John Woods, mother was Lucinda Kirkpatrick, a native of this county, and a daughter of Andrew K. Kirkpatrick.  Mrs. Woods died in March, 1875.  Mr. Woods grew to manhood on the home farm, probably receiving a better education with him one year.  He then learned the photographer's trade, and followed it several years.  In 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Forty-seventh Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served two years, mostly as Orderly Sergeant.  He was honorably discharged Aug. 19, 1862, and was subsequently appointed Deputy to Alfred Jacobs, Sheriff of Brown County, remaining in that position three years.  Since that time, he has officiated in a clerical capacity in nearly all the county offices, mainly in the Recorder's office.  He has been Democratic in politics all through life, and for two or three years office.  He has been Democratic in politics all through life, and for two or three years was an Infirmary Director of Brown County.  He is a member of Confidence Lodge, No. 307 (I. O. O. F.), and Knights of Pythias Lodge, No. 98.  Mr. Woods was united in marriage in May, 1859, to Caroline Hunt, a native of this county.  Ten children have been given them, eight living.  Mrs. Woods is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  49
  Jefferson Twp. -
CASPER B. WOODS, farmer, P. O. Russellville, was born Jan. 26, 1804, in what is now known as Byrd Township, Brown Co., Ohio.  He was the son of Michael and Hester Woods, of whom we have made mention in another part of this work.  He was reared on a farm, and received the rudiments of education in a district school.  On Feb. 17, 1832, he married Eliza Baird, daughter of George and Jane Baird, by whom he had eight children, two of whom are still living, viz.:  Abraham B. and Cynthia B.  She died in March, 1877.  After residing in different parts of the county, he finally settled in 1854 on the farm where he still re-sides, in the eastern portion of Jefferson Township.  He has served as Township Trustee, is a member of the Methodist Church and for many years acted as class-leader.  He is one of our worthy, self-made men, for after his marriage he could barely get the means to procure a complete outfit with which to commence housekeeping.  He is now living with his daughter, Mrs. Sowers, in his seventy-ninth year.  William Sowers, Jr., was born in October, 1844 near Ripley, Brown Co., Ohio.  His parents are Benjamin and Mary A. Sowers.  He remained at home until the breaking-out of the war of the rebellion, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Seventy-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  His regiment was stationed principally at Gallipolis, and in West Virginia, and patroled the Big Kanawha River.  He received an honorable discharge prior to the close of the war.  In November, 1868, he married Cynthia B. Woods, daughter of our subject, born December, 1847.  This union has been blessed with six children, viz.:  Jennie, Mary E., Cora M., Francis B., Daisy D. and an infantMr. Sowers has been successful in both agricultural pursuits and stock-raising, in the latter of which he has acquired considerable repute.  He is of a clever, courteous disposition, hospitable and obliging, and a good conversationalist.  He is a Democrat and the owner of 141 acres of land.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  244
  Jefferson Twp. -
FRANCIS M. WOODS, farmer, P. O. Russellville.  Michael Woods, father of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania.  When a youth, he emigrated to Maysville, Ky., but owing to the depredations committed by the Indians, remained there but a short time.  He then moved into the neighborhood of Augusta, Ky., where he remained till about the year 1800, when he came to Ohio.  Before starting for Ohio, he married Miss Hester Bowman, by whom he had twelve children, seven of whom are still living.  The goods which this couple brought with them to Ohio were all done up in a "red cotton handkerchief," with the exception of the wearing material worn by them.  They settled on the waters of Eagle Creek, in what is now known as Byrd Township, Brown Co., Ohio,  The country at that time was comparatively an unbroken forest.  The dresses worn by his good wife were made of wild nettles, gathered by her own hands.  He continued in his peaceful vocation until the breaking-out of the war of 1812, in which he served as a Captain.  He served for about sixteen years as Justice of the Peace for Byrd Township, and as Associate Judge of the Court of Common Pleas for perhaps seven years.  His success in a certain measure perhaps may be attributed to his wife, for after her marriage she taught him to read, write and spell.  He was a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, serving for a number of years as class-leader.  The Scriptures were read, and prayer offered daily in his house, and frequently for many years he had preaching at his house.  He lived the greater part of his life in the neighborhood of where he first settled, and died about 1874 or 1875, having survived his wife but a few years.  Francis M., one of the sons of Michael Woods, and subject of this sketch, was born in October, 1819, in Brown County, Ohio, and in his youth was trained to the pursuits of farming.  He received a good English education, and subsequently taught school for perhaps five years.  In October, 1846, he married Miss Hannah W. Cappel, daughter of Daniel and Martha Cappel.  To them have been born twelve children, ten of whom are still living, viz.:  Daniel H., Rachel A., Martha L., Caroline A., Sarah D., Michael S., Thomas R., Hester V., Mary F. and Emma K.  After his marriage, he moved to Lewis County, Ky., where he remained for twenty-one years.  In 1854-55, he served in the Kentucky House of Legislature.  He also served as Deputy Sheriff for Lewis County.  In 1870, he moved to his farm near Russellville, Brown Co., Ohio, where he still resides.  He has served as Trustee for Jefferson Township.  He is a gentleman of more than ordinary intellectual capacity, of a frank open nature, and a good conversationalist.  His political views are Democratic; he is a member of the Russellville Lodge of the F. & A. M., and the owner of 101 acres of land.  He is recognized as one of the leading and most intelligent agriculturists of Jefferson Township.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  245
  Pike Twp. -
ANGELINE E. WRIGHT

Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  222

  Washington Twp. -
JOHN WRIGHT, farmer, P. O. Sardinia, was born in Pleasant Township Nov. 7, 1814.  He is a son of George and Elizabeth (Robins) Wright, natives of Pennsylvania.  Mr. Wright was born July 31, 1780, and Mrs. Wright Apr. 12, 1782.  Mr. Wright came to Brown County in the year that Ohio was admitted as a State, and settled one mile south of Georgetown, where he purchased a farm of 115 acres in the woods.  He was a patriot in the war of 1812.  He was married, Jan. 27, 1812, to Elizabeth Robins, who bore him five children, two sons and three daughters, viz.:  John, our subject, Samuel P., born Sept. 22, 1816; Susanna, born May 27, 1819, wife of Sidney Ogden; Sarah, born Nov. 22, 1820; and Seneth, born June 25, 1823, and died July 28, 1830.  In 1827, Mr. Wright removed to Washington Township, where he died Aug. 5, 1853.  Mrs. Wright followed him Nov. 22, 1857.  Our subject is the eldest of five children, and was reared to manhood on a farm.  Mr. Wright was united in marriage to Miss Anna Wardlow, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Wardlow, and a native of Washington Township, where her birth occurred Sept. 9, 1834.  Six children were the fruits of this union; of these, five are living - Joseph W., Nancy (wife of Levi Wardlow), Mary A. (wife of Alexander Maham), Maxamelia (wife of W. F. Wardlow), and Clara A. (wife of Henry Boline), Elizabeth, the eldest, is deceased.  Mr. Wright pursues the avocation of farming and stock-raising, in which he has been successful.  He is identified with the Masonic order, and politically is Democratic.  In 1850, he was elected a member of the Board of County Commissioners, and served in that capacity six years.  In 1872, he was again chosen to that office and served two terms.  He was elected Township Treasurer in 1867, and filled that office eleven consecutive years.  In 1881, he was again elected Treasurer, and re-elected in 1882.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  294

 

.

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights