OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

.

BIOGRAPHIES

Source::
HISTORY OF BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the
Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Brown County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Published:  Chicago:  W. H. Beers & Co.
1883
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 

  Pleasant Twp. -
DAVID THOMAS, of David & E. J. Thomas, attorneys at law, Georgetown, was born in Scott Township, Brown Co., Ohio, May 20, 1826.  His father, Jacob Thomas, was a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Brown County, in 1818 or 1819.  He was a prominent farmer of Scott Township during life, and died Jan. 7, 1852.  Mr. Thomas' mother was Mary Reynolds, a native of New York.  She is still living, and resides in Scott Township.  Mr. Thomas is the second child of a family of eleven children, six of whom are living.  He was reared on the homestead farm, and in early life taught school.  He then attended Augusta College, Augusta, Ky., and subsequently taught school again.  He was a law student with John G. Marshall and C. A. White till his admission to a bar, at Portsmouth, Ohio, in November, 1850.  He was first engaged in the practice of law at Felicity, in Clermont County, where he remained until the fall of 1855.  He then came to Georgetown, where he has since been engaged in practice.  In 1859, he became a member of the law firm of White, Thomas & Taylor, and, in 1861, of White & Thomas.  In 1863, David M. Pearson became a law partner, the firm of Thomas & Dunn was formed, which continued two years.  Charles B. Fee was a partner one year.  In 1879, his son, Edwin J., was admitted to practice at the bar, and the firm of David & E. J. Thomas was formed.  The firm probably enjoys the best paying practice of any law firm in Georgetown.  Mr. Thomas was a Democrat in early life, but changed his views and voted with the Republicans till 1872.  He then became a Liberal, and has voted with the Democratic party since.  He has never held office.  Mr. Thomas became a member of the Odd Fellow fraternity at Felicity, in 1864, and is now connected with Confidence Lodge, 307, of Georgetown.  He was married, Feb. 26, 1854, to Elizabeth J. Pearce, a native of Clermont County, Ohio.  Of their five children, two are living - Edwin J. and David, Jr.  Mrs. Thomas is a member of the Presbyterian Church.  Mr. Thomas has been a farmer and land-owner since 1863, and at present owns a large amount of land in Brown County.  He attributes his success in life to large purchases in land when the price was low, and their subsequent rise in value.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 43
  Lewis Twp. -
ANDREW J. THOMPSON, Superintendent of Brown County Infirmary, Georgetown, is of German and English extraction, and both his paternal and maternal ancestors were early settlers in Pike Township, Brown County, where he was born May 23, 1836.  He grew to manhood on his father's farm and enjoyed the benefit of a fair education.  In August, 1862, when Confederacy had already threatened the destruction of the United States, he enlisted under Capt. Foster in the Fourth Ohio Independent Cavalry and served until the close of the war.  He participated in the battles of Raymond, Miss., Champion Hills, Vicksburg and many skirmishes.  He was serving as Private Orderly for Gen. McPherson, and was by his side when the General fell.  After his return home in June, 1865, he resumed farming, and, in 1867, married Augusta daughter of James F. and Elizabeth (Allen) Davis  To this union two children have been given.  Mr. and Mrs. Thompson were residing in Clark Township, in 1873, when he was chosen to fill the position in which he has so honorably discharged his duties for ten years.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 119
  Scott Twp. -
F. W. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. New Hope, was born in Pleasant Township, May 23, 1847; he is the son of William and Jane (King) Thompson.  His grandfather, Edward Thompson, settled in Brown County in 1796, and here married Susan Feagin she was the daughter of Capt. Feagin and the sixth child of a family of nineteen children born to Capt. Feagin by one wife.  She died Oct. 29, 1855, in the seventy-sixth year of her age.  Capt. Feagin was a native of Virginia, and served his country with honor during the whole of the Revolutionary war as Captain.  In 1786, he emigrated from Loudoun County, Va., to a place called Kenton Station, in Kentucky, where he located a large tract of land.  By some mishap he lost his land, and, in 1796, he removed to Brown County, settling in sight of where Georgetown now stands.  After opening a farm, he, with several of his sons and their families, removed to Fayette County, Ohio, where he died in July, 1815.  The subject of this sketch was the oldest in a family of six children.  He was educated at Decatur College, and adopted the occupation of farmer and trader, at which he is now engaged, being the owner of a fine farm of 106 acres.  In 1872, he married Ella Sells; she was born in Brown County in 1848, and was a daughter of Benjamin Sells, a retired farmer.  Their union was blest with four children - Erma Lee, King Gibson, Benjamin Sells and Lulu Belle.  The parents are both members of the Presbyterian Church, in which Mr. Sells has been a Trustee.  He is a Republican.  From his grandmother's obituary we copy the following:  Died - On the 29th of October, 1855, Mrs. Susan Thompson, consort of Edward Thompson, Esq., in the seventy-sixth year of her age.  The deceased was a daughter of Capt. Feagin, and the sixth child of a family of nineteen living born children of Capt. Feagin’s by one mother.  Capt. Feagin was a native of Virginia, who served his country with honor through the whole of the Revolutionary war in the capacity of Captain.  In 1786, he emigrated from Loudoun County, Va., to Kentucky, intending, when he embarked with his family aboard the boat to go to Limestone, now Maysville, but they stopped for several years at Kenton Station, and while there he located a large tract of land, which he by some mishap lost.  In 1796, he removed to Brown County, and settled in sight of where Georgetown now stands.  Several of his sons settled around him, but after opening farms they all left the country and located in Fayette County, where the Captain died in July, 1815.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  257
  Scott Township -
J. G. THOMPSON, wagon-maker, New Hope, was born in Scott Township Nov. 2, 1818.  His parents, James and Margaret (Gibson) Thompson, were natives of Pennsylvania, of Irish descent.  They emigrated to Brown County in 1810, and settled in Pike Township, where they remained until the father’s death.  Our subject was educated in the subscription schools of his day, and learned the trade of a wagonmaker and carpenter, in which occupation he is still employed.  On May 16, 1844, he took to himself a wife, who survived her marriage but five years.  On Oct. 21, 1852, he married Elizabeth (Gibson) Purdum, widow of William Purdum, and by her has had seven children—Enoch, William J., Andrew J., Helen (wife of Newton C. Wardlow), Mary E. (deceased), John (deceased) and MarcenaMr. T. is a Democrat, a member of the Christian Union Church, and an Odd Fellow.  He is a man of sound judgment and decided opinions, and expresses his opinion without regard to the public mind.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  256
  Clark Twp. -
JESSE P. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Hamersville, was born in Pennsylvania Feb. 19, 1806.  He is the son of John and Margaret (Mitchell) Thompson, natives of Pennsylvania, he of Irish, and she of Welsh descent.  Our subject received a limited education in the subscription schools of Adams County, Ohio, and remained on the farm until eighteen years of age, when he commenced learning the wagon-maker's trade, at which he worked twenty years.  He carried on a shop in Clark Township this county, for several years, and throughout his business career was characterized by his honest dealings with his patrons.  When he came to this township he settled on 100 acres of acres of heavy timbered land that was willed to him by his father.  He was married in 1829 to Matilda Lawrence daughter of Jacob Lawrence, of Adams County.  She was a school mate of our subject's, and he thought in his school days that he would marry her, but did not tell of it until after they were married, when she confessed to having thought the same thing.  Their union was blest with these children - Christine, Barbara Ann (wife of S. H. Ellis), Thomas H. B., (a farmer of Kentucky), John L., Milton, Sarah E. (wife of Samuel Williams), James and Semantha (wife of Henry Snider).  Mrs. Thompson died in 1878, in the full faith of the Methodist Church, in which her husband is a local preacher.  He is a Republican, and has held most of the offices in the township.  He is the owner of a farm of 140 acres upon which he lives.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  193
  Eagle Twp. -
JOHN THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Fincastle, was born May 24, 1837, in Winchester Township, Adams Co., Ohio.  He was reared to manhood on a farm and received but a limited education.  In October, 1861, he married Mary C. Parish, daughter of William and Elizabeth Parish.  To them have been born two children, viz.: Louis E. and Warren.  In the Autumn of 1858, Mr. Thompson moved from Adams County to Fincastle, Brown County, where he remained until the spring of 1863.  He then located on a farm one mile west of Fincastle, where he still resides.  He has served as treasurer of Eagle Township four years, in which capacity he still officiates.  Is the owner of forty-three and one-half acres of land in a good state of cultivation.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  230
  Byrd Twp. -
JOHN M. THOMPSON, insurance agent, Decatur, is the son of J. P. and Amelia Thompson.  He was born at Decatur May 20, 1858, and has maintained a residence there ever since.  He attended the village schools until 1876, when he entered the Normal School at West Union, then under the superintendence of Prof. W. A. Clark.  In 1877, he attended the Normal School at Decatur, under the instruction of Prof. William Stevenson, and fitted himself for a teacher, but has never followed this avocation.  He has been variously engaged, and is now in the insurance work.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  304
  Huntington Twp. -
JOHN S. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Hiett, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in the year 1845, and is a son of John and Agnes (Stewart) Thompson, natives of Scotland.  Mr. Thompson died in 1857, aged thirty six years; and in 1858, Mrs. Thompson and her son, John S., came to this place, where he has since made a permanent home, while she resides in Kentucky.  She had two children, viz., Ludwig and our subject.  John S. was married in 1865 to Jane, the daughter of Amos Evans, by whom he has had four children, viz., Agnes, Amos, Ludwig and Robert.  Mr. Thompson owns a good farm, which is the place the Evans family settled on in 1800.  He is a neat and tidy kind of farmer, and a progressive man in every respect.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  176
  Pike Twp. -
LEWIS THOMPSON, merchant, New Harmony, was born Nov. 28, 1840, in Clark Township, Brown Co., Ohio, and is a son of Lewis and Nancy (Brooks) Thompson.  Subject's father was born in Virginia in 1800, and died in Ohio, where he emigrated to in an early day, at the age of sixty-two.  Lewis is the second child and son of his father's family, and was married in 1870 to Melissa FrazeeLewis at the age of twenty-three, began business for himself.  He first engaged in huckstering, this he continued until 1871, being the year after his marriage, at which time he began in the dry goods and grocery business at New Harmony, where he has been very successful.  He is Postmaster at New Harmony and has filled that position for ten years.  He obtained a common school education.  Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are the parents of four children, all living - Nelson, Jesse, William H. and Toley.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  220
  Pleasant Twp. -
DAVID B. THOMPSON, clerk of the National Union Hotel at Georgetown, was born in Clark Township, Brown Co., Ohio, July 2, 1841.  He is a son of William Thompson, a native of Pennsylvania, and Sarah (Liming) Thompson, a native of Brown County.  The former died in 1872, and the latter in 1847.  Mr. Thompson was the fourth son and fifth child of a family of eight children - seven now living.  He grew to manhood on the homestead farm, receiving a fair English education in the district schools.  When twenty years of age, and just at the commencement of the civil war, Mr. Thompson enlisted in Battery I, First Regiment Ohio Artillery, serving one year in the Army of the Potomac.  During the latter part of his service, Mr. Thompson almost suffered the loss of his voice from a painful throat disease, and received an honorable discharge for disability.  He returned home, and was soon after employed as clerk in a store, at Brownsville, owned by Thomas Doughty, where he remained fifteen months.  He then came to Georgetown (in 1870) and secured employment in his present position.  Mr. Thompson was married, Nov. 26, 1864, to Mary Elliott, a native of this county, and a daughter of William Elliott.  One child was born to this union - Sarah E. who received a good education at Ursuline Convent, in the northern part of Brown County, and now resides with her uncle, James W. Thompson, near Mt. Orab, Green Township.  Mrs. Thompson is connected by membership with the following organizations:  M. E. Church, Masonic Lodge (Chapter and Council), Confidence Lodge and Georgetown Encampment (I. O. O. F.), Knights of Pythias, all of Georgetown, and the Masonic Mutual Benefit Association of Maysville, Ky.  "Dave" Thompson, as he is familiarly called, has served twelve years in his present position, and is well known to a host of commercial men, travelers, and nearly all the residents of Brown County.  His genial manners, frank heart, and the kind attention he bestows on each and every one of his guests, have won for him universal regard and esteem.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 44
  Pleasant Twp. -
W. JESSE THOMPSON, of Thompson & Fite, attorneys at law, Georgetown, was born in Clark Township, this county, Oct. 20, 1835.  His father was William Thompson, a native of Pennsylvania, and accompanied his father, John Thompson, a pioneer M. E. minister of Adams, and subsequently Brown County, Ohio; father grew up in this county, and married Sarah Lining, a native of this county.  Mrs. Thompson died in 1847, and her husband in 1872.  They were the parents of eight children, seven of whom are yet living.  Our subject is the fourth child and son of these parents, and remained on the home farm until attaining his majority.  He received a good English education, and for seven years in his early life was a school teacher.  He then commenced the study of law, and was admitted to practice in 1866.  Soon after, he became associated with David D. Devore in law practice.  Judge David Tarbell was a partner about one year, the firm name being Devore, Tarbell & Thompson.  In May, 1871, Rufus L. Fite became a partner, and on Jan. 1, 1876, Mr. Devore retired from the practice and the firm has since been Thompson & Fite.  The firm are doing a good business, and are well known throughout Brown County.  Mr. Thompson has always been a Democrat, and once filled the office of Prosecuting Attorney of the county by appointment, being subsequently elected and re-elected.  He is a member of of the Masonic Lodge, Council and Chapter, and Confidence Lodge, No. 307, I. O. O. F.  He was married, in the spring of 1863, to Rebecca Metzger, a native of Brown County.  Of their seven children, six are living - Sarah A., Mary D., William M., Annie P., Jessie and Margaret.  Mahala is deceased.  Mrs. Thompson and the four oldest children are members of the M. E. Church.  Mr. Thompson is one of the active and influential citizens of Georgetown, and is a Trustee of the Georgetown & Sardinia Railroad Company.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 43
  Pleasant Twp. -
WILLIAM THOMPSON (deceased) was born Oct. 7, 1808.  He was the son of Edward and Susan (Feagins) ThompsonSusan Feagins was a daughter of Capt. Daniel Feagins, an account of whom is given in the history of Pleasant Township.  William received a common school education, and became a miller.  His father was also a miller, and owned the three mills on White Oak, just west of Georgetown.  Two of them he built.  He was a man of more than ordinary enterprise and was successful in business.  William was married June 4, 1835, to Jane C. King, a daughter of Victor and Mary Ann (Mickle) King, who emigrated to Pleasant Township, Brown County, from Pennsylvania.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson are Mary Jane (Coner), Susan (McCalgin), Abbie (Lewis) (deceased), Frank W., Martha W. and Victor.  Mrs. Thompson is still living about one mile west of Georgetown.  She was born Mar. 29, 1814.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 44
  Clark Twp. -
WILLIAM G. THOMPSON, farmer, P. O. Locust Ridge, was born Nov. 28, 1836.  He is the son of Lewis Thompson, a native of Virginia, of Scotch descent, and Nancy (Brooks) Thompson, a native of Brown County, of English descent.  Our subject was reared on the farm and educated in the public schools of his county.  He chose farming for a life occupation and has since followed that time-honored calling, with good success, now owning a good farm in this township.  He was married, in 1857, to Miss Mintie Bartholomew, a native Brown County.  She is an intelligent and pleasant lady and, with her husband, a consistent member of the Disciples' Church.  Mr. Thompson is a prominent Odd Fellow, a Democrat and a highly esteemed citizen.  He served for a time as Trustee of his township.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  193
  Clark Twp. -
J. THORNTON, farmer, chair manufacturer and proprietor of saw mill, P. O. Hamersville, Ohio, was born in Maryland Apr. 26, 1826.  He was the seventh son of John and Letitia (Matthews) Thornton, natives of Pennsylvania, he of English and she of Irish descent.  They emigrated to Ohio in 1830, and settled in Clermont County, where they lived with their family of seven sons until 1843, when the father died.  The mother survived him nine yeas, dying in 1852.  After locating in Clermont County the father and sons engaged in the saw mill business in Bethel; they soon added to their business the manufacture of wagons, which they continued until the breaking-out of the rebellion, which seriously interfered with their business; they continued, however, and manufactured wagons for the Government until 1862, when they sold out their business in Bethel and moved into Clark Township, Brown County, where they built the Thornton Mill and Chair Factory, in which they still continue, having had their mill once consumed by fire.  They own nearly a section of land and the handsomest residence in the township, the latter costing nearly $6,000 in its construction.  The subject of this sketch is the only one of the boys that ever married, and he has married twice.  His first wife, whom he married 1850, was Elizabeth Morris, daughter of J. P. Morris, and grand-daughter of Senator Thomas Morris.  She died in 1857, leaving three children, and on Feb. 13, 1872, our subject married Clara D. Cook, daughter of James Cook.  Mr. Thornton and his brothers, in their manner of living, formed an example of successful communism; they worked together, owned their property in common, kept no book accounts with each other, and when one died he relinquished all his right in the property to the survivors.  The two youngest, George and our subject, are the only ones now surviving.  The eldest, James, died in 1868; Samuel, in 1840; Isaac, 1850; W. P.., 1878; Charles, 1882.  W. P. was a prominent man during his life, and at the time of his death was a member of the Board of County Commissioners.  The brothers were all men of more than ordinary intelligence, and men who deserve more than a passing notice in a local work like this.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  194
  Clark Twp. -
HENRY W. TRISLER (deceased), born near Hagerstown, Md., Dec. 31, 1789, and died Dec. 10, 1880, being ninety years eleven months and eleven days old.  His father, Michael, when John was about ten years old, moved to Lexington, Ky., and soon after died, leaving John and his brothers to support the family.  John Trisler was married in 1811 to Fanny Reed, and came to Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio, at that time almost an unbroken forest.  He, with a few others, erected the little stone church on Shinkle Ridge.  In 1825, he lost his first wife, and afterward married Catharine Gray and moved to Tate Township, Clermont County, where he became one of the Charter members of Antioch Church, and where he remained until 1870, when he disposed of his farm and afterward lived with his children.  At his death he left thirteen children, ninety-two grandchildren, over one hundred great-grandchildren and six great-great-grandchildren.  On the 11th of December, grandfather Trisler was interred at Mt. Zion Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  194
  Clark Twp. -
JOHN TRISLER (deceased), born near Hagerstown, Md., Dec. 31, 1789, and died Dec. 10, 1880, being ninety years eleven months and eleven days old.  His father Michael, when John was about ten years old, moved to Lexington, Ky., and soon after died, leaving John and his brothers to support the family.  John Trisler was married in 1811 to Fanny Reed, and came to Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio, at that time almost an unbroken forest.  He, with a few others, erected the little stone church on Shinkle Ridge.  In 1825, he lost his first wife, and afterward married Catharine Gray and moved to Tate Township, Clermont County, where he became one of the Charter members of Antioch Church, and where he remained until 1870, when he disposed of his farm and afterward lived with his children.  At his death he left thirteen children, ninety-two grandchildren, over one hundred great-grandchildren and six great-great grandchildren.  On the 11th of  December, grandfather Trisler was interred at Mt. Zion Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  194
Pleasant Twp. -
GEORGE P. TYLER

Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  45


.

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights