OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

.

BIOGRAPHIES

Source::
HISTORY OF BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches,
Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of
Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the
Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of
Brown County; Constitution of the
United States, Miscellaneous
Matters, Etc., Etc.
ILLUSTRATED
Published:  Chicago:  W. H. Beers & Co.
1883
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 

  Clark Twp. -
JAMES McBETH, farmer, P. O. Hamersville, was born in Brown County, Ohio, Nov. 29, 1821.  His parents were Samuel and Frances (Pitzer) McBeth, both natives of Pennsylvania, the former of Scotch and the latter of German parentage; his early education was obtained in the neighborhood district school; he ha been a farmer and trader all of his life, and is now the owner of 380 acres of well-cultivated land.  Mr. McBeth is an earnest supporter of the principles adopted and set forth by the Democratic party, and has officiate as Justice of the peace, and was Township Trustee twenty years.  He was married to Elizabeth Spiers, a native of Brown County, and a daughter of John Spiers.  Eight children are living - Emily, Frankie, Pierce, Samuel O., Ella, Charles C., Warren F., Misa M. and Lee P.  Mr. McBeth, wife and daughters are members of the Disciple Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  187
  Clark Twp. -
DRS. McCASKEY & LOVE, Hamersville, are prominent physicians of this village.  The former, Hugh McCaskey, was born in Beaver County, Penn., in 1813; his parents were Robert and Jane (Curry) McCaskey, natives of Pennsylvania, of Scotch and Irish descent; he received his early literary education at Augusta College, Kentucky, and subsequently attended medical lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati.  He first commenced the practice of his profession at Newark, Ohio, where he remained four years; he then removed to Ripley, this county, and three years later to Virginia.  In 1849, he located at Felicity, Clermont Co., Ohio, where he resided fifteen years; he then removed to Batavia, the county seat of Clermont, where he practiced eight years, and also served as United States Pension Agent; he then went back to his native place, but in 1877, located at Hamersville, where he has met with good success.  The Doctor is a prominent Freemason, and has passed all the chairs in the subordinate lodge; he has been a close student through life, and is well posted on general subjects.  He was united in marriage, in 1841, to Rebecca A. Tucker, daughter of Richard Tucker, and a native of Clermont County.  They have two children - Eleanora and Adda (wife of Dr. Love).  Doctor and Mrs. McCaskey are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which the former has officiated as Steward.  He is Republican in politics.
     DR. JOHN H. LOVE, the junior partner of this firm was born in Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio, Nov. 23, 1847; he is the son of Charles and Elizabeth A. (Hover) Love, the former a native of Brown and the latter of Clermont County, Ohio; his grandfather, Alexander, first settled in Brown County about 1800.  Mr. Love departed this life in 1877; Mr. Love is still living, and resides in Clark Township.  The subject of this sketch received a good English education, and graduated from the Ohio College of Medicine and Surgery, at Cincinnati, in 1870.  The same year, he came to Hamersville, and commenced the practice of his profession.  The firm are doing a good business, and also are the proprietors of a drug store in the village.  Dr. Love is Democratic in politics, and has officiated in Township Treasurer.  He was married, in 1875, to Adda McCaskey, a daughter of the senior member of the firm.  They have one child, Hugh M., born Sept. 26, 1878.  Mrs. Love is a member of the M. E. Church.

     T. B. McCHESNY, blacksmith, Hamersville, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, June 4, 1837.  He is a son of Abner and Eliza (Early) McChesny, the former a native of New Jersey, of Irish descent, and the latter of Maryland, of English parentage.  He received his education in Clermont County, and when eighteen years of age, learned the blacksmith trade with John Early of Hamersville.  He has been engaged at his trade ever since, and has met with good success; he owns his shop, home property and eight acres of land adjoining the village.  In 1876, he invented a patent road scraper and cultivator, which has had a very good sale, and is in general use in this and adjoining counties.  Mr. McChesny was married, in 1859, to Martha Burton, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Henry Burton.  They have four children - Anna Eliza, wife of L. A. Rees, a farmer of Lewis Township; Charles V., a student at the National Normal University, of Lebanon, Ohio; Maggie and May.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  187

  Washington Twp. -
J. B. McCLAIN, M. D., Sardinia, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, July 4, 1830.  His parents, Wesley and Mary (Blackman) McClain, were born near Egg Harbor, New Jersey.  Mr. McClain was the fourth son and child of a family of six children, all of whom lived to the age of seventy years.  Dr. McClain is the eldest son of his father's family.  When eighteen years old, he engaged in teaching which he followed for seven years.  In 1848, he commenced reading medicine with Dr. John H. Moore, of Clermont County.  He read three years, and attended the Starling Medical College of Columbus.  He was engaged in merchandising in Point Isabel, Clermont County, from 1854 to 1861, when he began the practice of his profession in Laura, Miami County.  In 1866, he came to Sardinia, where he has since pursued his chosen avocation.  Oct. 29, 1850, he married Emma Higby, a native of Cincinnati, and a daughter of John Higby, of Clermont County.  She was born Nov. 11, 1832, and died Mar. 10, 1861, leaving three children - Laura G. wife of Isaac Weston; Mary L. and Charles M.  Dr. McClain was again married, Oct. 7, 1861, to Melissa D. Ford, a daughter of Thomas M. and Elizabeth (Day) Ford, born in Clermont County Mar. 24, 1846.  They have had two children - Wesley S. and Jessie B.  Dr. McClain has always taken an active part in political affairs, and has figured rather conspicuously in local politics.  His affiliations are with the Democratic party, and with them he has performed an important part.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 290
  ANDREW J. McFERREN, dealer in  pumps, Five Mile.  The subject of this sketch was born Apr. 9, 1825, in Hamilton Township, Warren Co., Ohio.  In his youth he was trained to the pursuits of farming, and for many years, also, worked at the carpenter's trade.  On Dec. 4, 1850, in Warren County, he married Miss Esther E. Terwilliger, daughter of Henry and Mary Terwilliger.  By this union there has been an issue of two children, one of whom is now living - Amanda, the wife of Timothy W. Talley.  In 1853, Mr. McFerren moved from Warren to Brown County, and located in the western portion of Green Township, where he now resides.  He is the owner of eighty acres of land, and at present represents, as an agent, the Arthur Lyon three valve chain pump, manufactured at Loveland, Ohio.  For seven years this gentleman has served as Trustee of Green Township, performing the duties of his office with entire satisfaction.  When two years old, the mother of our subject, who was born in Ireland, was brought with her parents to America, and with them located in South Carolina.  James, the father of our subject, was a native of Tennessee, and when a boy was by his mother taken to South Carolina (his father being deceased), where he married.  In 1813, he came to Warren County, Ohio, where he died about the year 1868; his wife died in 1855; they had in all eleven children.  The parents of Mrs. McFerren emigrated from New York State to Warren County, Ohio, at quite an early day.  They settled in Hamilton Township, where they remained until their decease, he having died in 1862, and she in 1846.  We take pleasure in presenting to the public the record of this worthy family.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  264
  Pleasant Twp. -
JAMES M. McMICHAEL, farmer, P. O. Higginsport.  He was born in Mason County, Ky., Nov. 17, 1823, and is the son of William and Agnes (Kerr) McMichael).  His father's nativity was in Ireland; his another was born in Pennsylvania, but of Irish ancestry.  The common schools of Ohio and Kentucky afforded him his education.  His father removed to this county in 1839, and James M. has pursued the farmer's calling since, and now owns a pleasant little farm.  He is a Democrat, and his wife a Methodist.  Mr. and Mrs. McMichael were married on New Year's Day, 1857.  Her maiden name was Hannah Staton.  She was a native Kentuckian, of English extraction.  Their four children are all living and are named Martha Ann, Mary E., William and Eliza.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  30
  Huntington Twp. -
T. W. MADDOX, farmer, P. O. Hiett, was born in this township in the year 1834, and is a son of Thompson and Sarah (White) Maddox, old settlers in this county.  Our subject was reared on the farm and in the district schools received the rudiments of his education; he was married to Dorcas the daughter of Thomas and Lucy (Shelton) Weeper, of Brown County, Ohio, in 1856.  After his marriage, he located in Sprig Township in Adams County, Ohio, where he lived for some years, when he returned to the neighborhood of his birth.  He owns 135 acres of well improved and highly cultivated land.  He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and he and wife are members of Methodist Episcopal Church, to which they have been connected for a number of years.  He began exhorting in the Methodist Church, and in 1870 was licensed as a local minister in the same church.  Since then he had labored whenever his health would permit, filling local appointments made by himself.  They are both exemplary and consistent members of the church.  To Mr. and Mrs. Maddox nine children have been born, of whom eight are living, viz., Samuel E., Lizzie, Thompson W., Lucy, David D., Sarah A., Robert, Katie and an infant.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 169
  Lewis Twp. -
ALEXANDER MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Feesburg.  The parents of this gentleman were George and Mary (Myers) Martin, both natives of Virginia, where they married.  In 1823, they, with a family of six children, emigrated to Augusta, Ky., and, in 1824, settled in Brown County, on Bullskin, near Clark's Mill.  Eighteen months subsequent they bought a farm near Feesburg; living in this vicinity until about 1872, when he died, aged about eighty-two years.  His wife followed in two years.  Their family consisted of twelve children, of whom four daughters and two sons are now living.  Alexander, the fourth eldest, was born in Virginia in 1817, and since 1824 has been a resident of Brown County, Ohio, save one year.  He received a common school education in Brown County, giving his time to his father during his minority - part of the time on the River, boating to New Orleans.  To this pursuit he gave some time after his marriage, in1846, with Sarah, daughter of Bazel Norris, who is mentioned in the pioneer department.  She was born in Lewis Township, Brown County, Ohio, in 1827.  The children of this union are nine, all now living.  Mr. Martin owns twenty-two and three quarter acres of land in R. Lawson's Survey, No. 1716.  He and wife are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Eden.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  107
  Union Twp. -
ALEXANDER B. MARTIN, a prominent farmer and tobacco dealer of Ripley, Brown County, was born in Union Township, Nov. 3, 1815.  His parents, Elijah and Rebecca (Boggs) Martin, were natives of Maryland and West Virginia.  The former was born in 1778 and the latter in 1782.  Edwin and Hannah Martin, grandparents of Alexander Martin, removed to Maysville Ky., among the earliest pioneers, and both died there.  Elijah Martin was reared near Wheeling, W. Va., and in 1804 he removed to Maysville, Ky., where he lived two years, then located near Aberdeen.  Brown County.  In 1812, he recruited the First Ohio Rifle Company and was chosen its captain, and served in that capacity in the war between the United States and Great Britain, for the term of one year.  He then returned home and resumed farming, which he followed till his death, in August, 1855.  He filled the office of Justice of the Peace for twenty years, and was prominently identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He was deeply interested in that church, and was for many years a leading member.  Mrs. Martin died March, 1860.  Mr. Martin, our subject, is the youngest child of a family of eleven children.  He was reared to manhood on a farm; when thirteen years old he took charge of the farm and supported his parents till their death.  Mr. Martin is one of the leading business men of Brown County.  For thirty-four years, he has been engaged in growing tobacco, raising from 20,000 to 37,000 pounds annually.  Since 1850, he has bought and shipped tobacco and pork, doing an extensive business.  He was connected with John Buchanan in business for a time, and with Leggett & Co. for six years.  He is one of the oldest and most successful tobacco dealers and shippers of Brown County.  Feb. 8, 1838, he was united in marriage with Miss Prudence McNown, a daughter of James and Prudence McNown.  Mrs. Martin, a native of Huntington Township, was born Dec. 25, 1818.  Of ten children by this union, seven are living - Eliza, wife of Dr. J. L. Wylie; Hiram, Edgar, Rufus, Mary H., Frank D. and Alexander B., Jr.  Calista, Albert and Charlie are deceased.  Mr. Martin is connected with the Masonic fraternity, and in politics is a Republican.  He is the heaviest stockholder in the Independent Agricultural Society of Brown County.  He owns 502 acres of well improved and highly cultivated land.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  75
  Huntington Twp. -
EDMUND MARTIN, dealer in fine horses, Ripley.  Among the shrewd, enterprising and successful business men of Brown County, Edmund Martin  sands prominently to the front.  He is a native of the county, was born in 1837, and is a son of Edmund Martin, Sr. who was a horseman of considerable note, and who at the age of about twenty-eight years, began dealing in horses, which he shipped to the New Orleans market.  He was successful in his dealings and was a man noted for promptness in meeting and discharging his obligations.  He accumulated a good property, which consisted of 470 acres of excellent land, now owned by his children, who are well-to-do and respected citizens; courteous in his deportment and of pleasing, affable manners, he made many friends.  The boyhood of Edmund, Jr., was passed upon the farm, and having a love for horses, he early in life began dealing in the equine species, and has sent a number of cargoes to the New Orleans market, and thousands of head to the Boston and New York markets.  His superior judgment of horses is recognized by dealers and others in want of good animals and his recommendations are always accepted.  In 1857, he received the indorsement of a number of the officials of the State, from the Governor down, recommeding him to the British Government as an infallible judge of horses , and a man in every way honorable and responsible.  In support of this document, he, in 1857, shipped a cargo of horses to England, and accompanied the same in person.  This movement was influenced by the "Empire Horse Association" to encourage Mr. Martin to put American horses on the English market, so supply the armies of Russia and Turkey then at war.  To Boston he has shipped on an average 350 horses per year, and has sent many lots to Baltimore, Albany and Buffalo.  He is a gentleman of commanding personal appearance, and his extensive intercourse with the world has given a quiet dignity and ease of manners that is singularly marked in him, his urbanity and high social qualities make him a most pleasing companion, whose presence is always sought by his innumerable friends.  In 1862, he was married to Miss Catherine, the accomplished daughter of Robert Stephenson, by whom he has had seven children living, viz., Minnie, Fannie, Katie, Edmund, Berna, one unnamed and Eva, deceased.  Mr. Martin owns 200 acres of finely improved land on which he resides.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  170
  Union Twp. -
ELIJAH MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Ripley, was born in the township of his residence Jan. 25, 1834.  He is a son of Samuel and Rachel (Campbell) Martin, the former a native of Washington County, Ohio, and the latter of Mason County, Ky.  Mr. Martin was born July 19, 1802, and Mrs. Martin in 1807.  They were married in1825.  Mr. Martin's parents moved from Maysville, Ky., to Brown County in 1806.  They both ended their days in this county, after spending several years as pioneers.  Samuel Martin died May 16, 1878, and his wife, Aug. 3, 1849.  Mr. Martin married for his second wife Clarissa Ellsbary, and for his third wife, Rebecca A. Debolt, now the wife of Campbell Howard.  Our subject, Elijah Martin, was reared to manhood on a farm, and was educated in the common schools.  Sept. 10, 1861, he enlisted in the Fourth Independent Company Ohio Cavalry.  He was scouting during the yeas 1861-62.  Jan. 8, 1862, he fought in the battle of Silver Creek, and subsequently  at Black Water, Briton's Lane; then accompanied Gen. Grant's army to Holly Springs, thence to Louisiana and to Vicksburg, participating in it siege and all the engagements.  He afterward joined Sherman, and went on his noted "march to the sea."  He was engaged in all the battles of the "march," and was mustered out at East Point, Ga., and was honorably discharged Sept. 10, 1864.  He then came home and resumed his avocation of farming, which he has since followed.  He was married, Mar. 17, 1859, to Miss Louisa Howard, a daughter of Cyrus Howard.  Mrs. Martin was born in Union Township May 12, 1838.  She died Apr. 19, 1860.  Mr. Martin was married the second time, Oct. 16, 1866, to Mary A. Campbell, a native of Ripley, where she was born, Dec. 24, 1841.  She was a daughter of Alexander Campbell,  of Brown County.  Four children were the issue of this union - Cyrus H., born Aug. 30, 1867; Flora A., born Aug. 31, 1869; Lulu, born Sept. 15, 1871; and Samuel C., born Sept. 30, 1873.  Mrs. Martin is a member of the M. E. Church.  Mr. Martin is one of the charter members of G. A. R. Post at Ripley.  In politics, he is a stanch Republican.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  75
  Huntington Twp. -
EZEKIEL MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Aberdeen, was born in this township in 1840, and is a son of Edmund and Mary (Greene) Martin.  Edmund Martin was a son of Elijah Martin, of whom mention is made elsewhere.  After his marriage, Edmund settled where his son Quincy now lives.  He was a successful business man, and accumulated a good property.  To him was born nine children, six of whom are living and reside in this county - Adaline, Samuel, Edwin, Ezekiel, Reuben and Quincy; the deceased are Rufus, Johnson and AlexanderMr. Martin was born Nov. 5, 1795, and died Aug. 25, 1855.  Our subject was reared on the farm and received only a common school education.  HE owns eighty-eight acres of excellent land, and is one of the enterprising young men of Brown County.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  170
  Pike Twp. -
GEORGE W. MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Mt. Orab, was born July 31, 1853, in Hamilton County, Ohio, and is a son of Gano and Elizabeth (Nash) Martin.  Gano was born about 1812, in Hamilton County, Ohio, and was married three times.  The first wife that was blessed his home was Anna Curry; second, Elizabeth Nash, the mother of our subject, and the third Rachael Merritt.  To these unions were born eight children, of whom five are now living.  George is the third son and fifth child.  He was married, Jan. 14, 1875, to Ella Heltman.  Soon after his marriage, he began farming as a renter, thus he continued for three years, when he engaged in the mercantile business and keeping the post office.  He acquired a common school education in the common schools.  He and his family in March, 1882, moved from Hamilton County, Ohio, into Brown County, where he purchased a farm of 113 acres in Pike Township, where they now reside.  Mr. and Mrs. Martin are the parents of two children, both live.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  218
  Union Twp. -
HENRY MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Ripley, is a native of Union Township, Brown County, where he was born Mar. 28, 1828, and is the fourth son of Henry and Phebe (Campbell) Martin, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Brown County.  For a long period he filled the chair of Associate Judge, and was many years Justice of the Peace.  The date of his settlement in Brown County could not be obtained, but the family were among those of its early pilgrims.  The subject of this sketch was married in March, 1856, to Miss Mary, daughter of Henry Prince (deceased), a native of Russellville, where she was born.  He was widely known, and a popular hotel proprietor for many years, at the latter named place.  Our subject settled upon his present estate in 1857; now consisting of one hundred and eleven acres, valued at $100 per acre, and is conceded to be one of the finest locations in the county.  Mr. Martin has served for twenty years as School Director, in an Elder in the  Presbyterian Church at Ripley, and numbers among those of the oldest living settlers of the county.  To the union of this honored couple five children have been born, four of whom are living, viz., Alice B., Lizzie, Harriet N. and Thomas, all of whom reside on the homestead.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  75
  Huntington Twp. -
HENRY V. MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Aberdeen, was born in this township Nov. 25, 1844, and is a son of Ephraim and Mary Ann (Helm) Martin, of whom mention is made in this work.  Our subject was reared on the farm and had only the advantage of a common school education.  He has been twice married; first, Jan. 15, 1867, to Miss Eva J., the daughter of William Galbreath, of Aberdeen, Ohio, by whom he had seven children, four living, viz.: Maud, Frank, Mary and Charley.  Mrs. Martin was born Feb. 9, 1845, and died Feb. 8, 1879, aged thirty-four years.  His second marriage was celebrated with Sallie V., the sister of his first wife, May 26, 1881.  Mr. Martin owns 200 acres of well-improved land; he is a member of Charter Oak Lodge, No. 149, A., F. & M. of Aberdeen, and also a member of Maysville, Ky., Chapter, No. 14, R. A. M.  He and his estimable wife are members of the church, and live consistent with the requirements of the same.  Mr. Martin is one of Brown County's enterprising and successful farmers. 
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  171
  Huntington Twp. -
JAMES H. MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Aberdeen, born at the old home of his father, in the year 1832, and is a son of Ephraim and Mary Ann (Helm) Martin, of whom mention is made in his work.  Ephraim was a son of Elijah Martin.  Our subject was reared on the farm, and in the district schools received a common education.  Has been married twice: first, in 1854, to Margaret, the daughter of Jesse Ellis, an old settler, who bore him four children, one of whom is living namely, Mary wife of Ivan Shelton.  The deceased are Ephraim, Charlie and one unnamed.  Mrs. Martin died in 1860, at the age of twenty-six years; his second marriage was celebrated with Sarah, the daughter of Thomas Neeper, of this county in 1864.  Six children are the result of this last marriage, namely, Lucy, Carrie, Belle, Myra, Reuben and Anna; he is a member of Charter Oak Lodge, No. 149, F. & A. M., of Aberdeen; he owns 270 acres of improved land, which is all under good cultivation; he and his wife are members of the Christian Church of Bethlehem.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  171
  Huntington Twp. -
QUINCY MARTIN, dealer in horses, Aberdeen, was born on the old home farm of Edmund Martin, in this township, Sept. 10, 1850, and is a son of Edmund Martin, whose sketch appears in this work.  The boyhood of our subject was passed on the farm, and, in the district schools, he received a practical education.  He remained with his parents until he attained his majority, after which he continued on the farm, and engaged in buying and selling horses and cattle in the local market.  For nearly one year, he conducted a general store in Manchester, Ohio, which he sold, and returned to his farm; he owns 156¼ acres of well improved and highly cultivated land.  He was married May 30, 1877, to Miss Irene, daughter of Capt. I. Worstell, of Aberdeen, an old settler whose biography appears in this work; he is now paying exclusive attention to the pursuits of the farm, and has been successful in his undertaking.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  171
  Huntington Twp. -
REUBEN MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Aberdeen, was born in this township in 1849, and is a son of Edmund and Mary Martin of whom mention is made in this work.  Our subject was reared on the far, and, on Feb. 24, 1881, married Miss Maria A., daughter of John L. Brown, of Indiana, by whom he has had one child, viz., John L. B.  Mr. Martin is one of Brown County's young and progressive farmers; he owns 135 acres of excellent land, which is one of the best improved farms in the township.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  170
  Huntington Twp. -
THOMAS M. MARTIN, farmer, P. O. Aberdeen, was born in this township Nov. 23, 1842, and is a son of Ephraim and Mary Ann ( Helm) Martin.  Ephraim was a son of Elijah Martin; was married to Mary A., the daughter of Samuel Helm, Feb. 16, 1826.  After his marriage, he bought 265 acres of land, where he now resides.  He was successful during his life, and accumulated a good property.  To him were born ten children, five of whom are living, viz., Samuel H., James H., Edmund B., Thomas M., and Henry V.  Mr. Martin was a member of Charter Oak Lodge, No. 149, F. & A. M., he was born Mar. 2, 1800, and died Dec. 27, 1867; she was born Sept. 4, 1806, and died Mar. 11, 1864.  Our subject was married, May 1, 1866, to Eliza J., the daughter of Massie Beasley.  He owns 175 acres of excellent land, which is well improved.  To Mr. and Mrs. Martin have been born four children, viz., Mary J., Chambers B., Clara W. (deceased), and Albert R. (deceased).   Mr. Martin is a member of Charter Oak Lodge, No. 149, F. & A. M., to which he has been connected for a number of years, and has held the office of Senior Warden for three years.  His wife was born in this township in 1844.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  171
  Perry Twp. -
THOMAS B. MATTHEWS, hame manufacturer, St. Martin’s, son of William C. and Mary (Nash) Matthews, was born in Columbia, Hamilton Co., Ohio, July 11, 1848.  He was a broom-maker by trade, working chiefly at his trade, chiefly in the winter season.  He was married in Columbia, Apr. 20, 1870, and has three children—Lilly M., Jessie P. and Louis H.  He was engaged in a hame factory  in Linwood several years, and was also engaged in carpentering several years.  In October, 1877, he came to this township and rented a building of John Ferris, at Ferristown, where he is now engaged in the manufacture of hames quite extensively; runs a twenty-five horse-power engine, and has all the latest improvements in the business, and manufactures mostly the heavy draft hames, and employs two or three men continually, besides himself.  He manufactures annually about thirty thousand pair of hames.  Mr. Matthews is a member of the Odd Fellows society.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 141
NOTE:  Definition of 'hame':  
two curved pieces of iron or wood forming or attached to the collar of a draft horse, to which the traces are attached.
  Union Twp. -
GEORGE W. MEFFORD, farmer, P. O. Ripley, son of George and Polly Mefford, was born in Union Township Oct. 24, 1824.  He was brought up on his father's farm and educated in the district schools of his native place.  Feb. 21, 1847, he was married to Rachel D. Burgett, a daughter of Abram and Rebecca BurgettMrs. Mefford, a native of Union Township, was born Jan. 6, 1822.  Of nine children by this union, five are living - Mahala B., born Jan. 7, 1848; Mary M., born Dec. 18, 1851 (wife of Fred Seipelt); James B. W., born Sept. 13, 1853, married Jan. 17, 1876, to Mary L. Glaze, and has four children - Estella A., Ina F., Elbert F. and Osmer W.; William D., born Feb. 13, 1862; and Eda G., born Apr. 16, 1868; Rebecca E., born Sept. 20, 1850, died Nov. 29, 1876; Amanda E., born Aug. 2, 1855, died Nov. 2, 1874; Clara A., born Oct. 8, 1857, died Jan. 28, 1879, and Effa J., born Aug. 1,  1859, died Jan. 31, 1867.  In 1845, Mr. Mefford bought his preset farm, which contains 99 acres.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  77
  Union Twp. -
JOHN W. MEFFORD, farmer, P. O. Ripley, is a son of George and Polly (Ellis) Mefford.  He was born in Union Township Feb. 3, 1814.  His father, a native of Pennsylvania, was born Nov. 22, 1786.  His father, John Mefford, was born Apr. 19, 1764, and in 1787 removed with his family to Mason County, Ky., where he lived a short time; then came to Levanna, Brown County.  Their immigration from Pennsylvania was by flat-boat.  They descended the Ohio River to Roup's Run and spent the night in the hollow trunk of a monster sycamore tree.  Mr. M. purchased a tract of 500 acres and located on it.  He died Apr. 21, 1834.  George, the father of our subject, was reared to manhood on the farm.  He engaged in transporting produce and provisions to New Orleans, and made eighteen trips.  He was for several years a member of the Board of Township Trustees, and was also identified with the Baptist Church.  His death occurred Oct. 30, 1872.  His wife preceded him in 1832.  John was reared a farmer boy.  Sept. 25, 1834, he was united in marriage with Anna Pangburn, daughter of Lyons and Rebecca Pangburn.  She was born in Union Township Aug. 31, 1817.  Fifteen children were the fruits of this union; of these, twelve are living - George W., Melissa (wife of Perry Drake), Clamenza E. (wife of David Smith), Lyons P., Elizabeth H. (wife of Aaron Burgett), John W., Joseph P., Flora D. (wife of Jacob White), Emma C. (wife of N. Burgett), Thomas E., William P., and Emma C.  Mr. Mefford has occupied the Mefford homestead since 1842.  He owns 131 acres and is engaged in agriculture.  He and wife are members of the Christian Church.  He has served as Deacon for thirty-five years.  Politically, he is a Republican.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  77
  Jefferson Twp. -
SAMUEL F. MEFFORD, farmer, P. O. Russellville, was born July 27, 1817.  His parents were George and Polly  Mefford.  George was about eight years old when his father, John Mefford, with his family emigrated from Kentucky to Adams County (now Brown).  After their arrival in Ohio, they were obliged, during the first night, to camp in the root of a large hollow Sycamore tree.  The following day, they again started on their journey and arrived at their destination.  They settled about one mile nearly east of where Pisgah church is located.  The first thing done to erect a log cabin, after which they began to out down the timber which surrounded them.  Amid those scenes of pioneer life George Mefford remained at home till he was about twenty-five years of age; he then married Polly Ellis by whom he had seven children four of whom are still living.  She died about 1832-33, and he married Mrs. Matilda Evans, a widow lady, who died in July, 1871.  George Remained on the farm which he bought before his marriage, located near the old homestead, until his death, which occurred in October, 1881.  Samuel F. son of George Mefford and subject of this sketch, was reared to manhood  on a farm, and like his his father received but a limited education.  In August 1837, he married Emma Davis, daughter of Samuel Davis.  To them have been born seven children, four of whom are still living, viz.:  John D., Melinda J., Vincent W. and Adaline.  In 1849, he bought the farm on which he resides, located about one and one-half miles nearly south of Russellville.  He has served as Township Trustee, is a member of the Christian Church, and the owner of 171 acres of land.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  240
  Jefferson Twp. -
WALKER MEFFORD, minister, Russellville, was born Apr. 22, 1834, in Brown County, Ohio.  His parents were Joshua and Susan (Hodkins) Mefford.  He was reared to manhood on a farm, and received an ordinary English education.  On March 17, 1853, he married Martha A. Mitchell, daughter of George Mitchell, by whom he has three children, viz.:  Lucinda E., Frank J. and Martha P.  Shortly after his marriage he moved to a farm in Jefferson Township, where he remained perhaps ten years.  In 1863, he moved to Russellville, where he still resides.  He has engaged in various pursuits until 1879, in which year he opened a hardware store at Russellville.  He is a member of the Christian Church at Russellville, for which denomination he has officiated as pastor since 1875.  He is a self-made man; to having had the opportunity to attend college, but being determined, to fill a position, by which he might benefit his fellowmen, he began a course of hard study at home, when the toils and cares of the day were over.  After making himself thoroughly familiar with the necessary requirements, he was duly admitted into the Southern Ohio Conference as an ordained minister.  He has been successful in business, owing to his industry, perseverance and determination to succeed.  He is well worthy the esteem shown him by the society in which he moves.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  240
  Lewis Twp. -
J. A. MEHARRY, farmer, P. O. Feesburg, is a son of John Meharry, who was born in Ireland in 1794, and, when about three months old, with his parents set sail for the United States.  They landed, and settled in what afterward became Byrd Township, Brown County, Ohio, on the East Fork of Eagle Creek.  Here the young couple purchased a tract of land, and set to work in earnest.  Erelong, they had born to them a daughter, and soon after the messenger of death visited the family and tore it from the mother and wife.  The father married again, and at his death, in 1813, had by his second wife eight children.  The widow survived him until 1837, when she died in Ripley.  Of the last children, David and Samuel the only survivors, reside in Indiana.  Among the last children were two regularly installed ministers in the M. e. Church, and several others who became exhorters in the same church.  John was raised in Brown County form infancy.  He was energetic and industrious; and a member of the M. E. Church.  He died in 1862, a well-esteemed citizen, father, husband and friend.  His wife was Sarah, daughter of Nicholas Wood, of Kentucky, where she was born.  She died about 1836, and was the mother of six children, of whom one only now survives, viz.:  John A. Meharry whose name heads this sketch.  He was born in Byrd Township, Brown Co., Ohio, in 1826, was raised to farm life and acquired a common school education.  In his early life, he devoted about one year to clerking in Maysville, Ky., but resumed farming, which has ever since received his attention.  In 1854, he moved to near Higginsport, and in 1865 purchased his present farm of 104 acres.  Since his residence in Lewis Township, he has been prominently associated with the School Board of the township, served as Township Clerk two terms, and as Justice six years.  His wife was Martha, daughter of Samuel Hemphill.  She was born in Lewis Township in 1833.  To them four children were given, three of whom are now living.  Samuel Hemphill was one of the early settlers of Brown County, and was also a patriot in the war of 1812.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 108
  Clark Twp. -
DAVID METZGER, farmer, P. O. Hamersville, was born in Lewis Township, Brown Co., Ohio, Dec. 28, 1851.  He is the son of Joseph and Nancy (Watson) Metzger, the former and native of Brown County, Of German descent, and the latter a native of Clermont County, of Irish descent.  Our subject received a limited education in the common schools, and from his youth to the present, has been engaged in farming.  In his farm operations, he has met with good success, and now he owns a good farm near Hamersville, upon which he resides.  Mr. Metzger was married to May E. Shinkle, a daughter of Walter Shinkle, an early settler of Brown County, where she was born.  Mr. Metzger's grandfather, Conrad Metzger, emigrated to Ohio from Pennsylvania in 1802, and, in the same year, located in Lewis Township.  Our subject and his wife are members of the Christian Church; he is a Democrat.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  187
  Pleasant Twp. -
L. B. MILES, M. D., D. D. S., one of Georgetown's most enterprising citizens, was born at Baltimore, M. D., July 26, 1832, of Scotch and Welsh parentage.  His ancestors and many relatives have been participants in the several struggles of our country, usually in high military positions.  His grandfather, Aquilla Miles, Jr., was a native of Maryland, of Scoth and Welsh extraction, and was a saddle by trade.  He was engaged in the war of 1812, and in September, 1814, participated in the defense of Baltimore under Gen. Winder, when the British forces marched through that city, and suffered the loss of the commander, Gen. Ross returning from the destruction of Washington.  Acquilla, in the fall of 1838, removed with his family from Maryland to a farm in Knox County, Ohio, and subsequently to near Columbus, Ohio, where he died in August, 1858.  He had married Elizabeth Hughes, a native of Maryland, and of Welsh descent, and they had a family of four children, a daughter of three sons.  The subject of this sketch was the second child and eldest son.  He passed his boyhood days at Mt. Vernon, Ohio, preparing for college.  He entered the Freshman
Class at the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, and subsequently the Sophomore Class of Oberlin College, graduating from the latter institution in 1849.  In early life, Dr. Miles studied for the ministry, but afterward abandoned his theological studies and began his medical education.   He first placed himself under the tuition of two eminent physicians of Mt. Vernon—Drs. Russell and Thompson, remaining with them four years.  He then attended a course of lectures at the Cleveland Medical College, practiced one year at Lexington, Richland Co., Ohio, and subsequently graduated in 1857.  After graduation, he returned to Cleveland, and there commenced active practice, also purchasing an interest in a drug store.  Dr. Miles remained at Cleveland till the commencement of the war, enjoying a very lucrative practice and trade.  He then disposed of his drug stock, and started for St. Louis, Mo., via Cincinnati, with the intentions of practicing surgery.  While waiting a few days in the latter city, he attended lectures in the Ohio Dental College, and became so favorably impressed with this branch of medical science, that he resolved to adopt it.  He therefore continued in attendance at the college, and was duly graduated in 1862.  He followed his profession about one year, and on Mar. 28, 1863, located at Georgetown.  His knowledge of his profession, coupled with his kind and courteous manners, soon won for him a large custom, and his practice attained a value of $6,000 annually for several succeeding years.  During this time, Dr. Miles erected two large and handsome brick residences in North Georgetown, among the finest in the village, one of which is well-known as Fair View Place.  He owns over six acres of land just within the village limits, and has lately constructed another fine residence for his own use, which he has named Bellevue Place.  Dr. Miles has been in constant practice since his location in the village, and has made many warm personal friends.  He was united in marriage, Oct/ 11, 1854, to Harriet C. Abbey, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, and a daughter of Perley Abbey, a prominent architect and builder of that city.  She is a great niece of
Samuel Goodrich, the widely popular author — "Peter Parley.”  They have three children—Lulu C., Clarence D. and Perley A.  Dr. Miles and. family are members of the Good Templars Lodge, of Georgetown, his wife, daughter and son, having been charter members.  He is also connected by membership with Confidence Lodge, No. 307, I. 0. O. F., of Georgetown, and is a regular attendant to the services of the M. E. Church. In 1873, a meeting was called at Cincinnati to devise means to construct the Cincinnati, Georgetown & Portsmouth Railroad.  Dr. Miles was made Chairman of the Executive Committee, and afterward worked up a large interest in Georgetown, and Bethel, Clermont County, in favor of the road.  In 1876, this interest was revived, and at this second called meeting, the Doctor was again appointed to fill his former position.  This time he determined that “success” should be his motto, and he labored day and night, in season and out, for the success of this enterprise. Within six
months’ time the road was constructed to Hamersville, and there stopped for the want of money to bridge across White Oak Creek.  Dr Miles personally solicited over $53,000, while also holding the office of both Chairman and Secretary of the Executive Committee.  He was also Superintendent of the Georgetown Division for some time.  Realizing the efforts of Dr. Miles in their behalf, the people of Georgetown in convention
assembled, passed a resolution thanking him for his labor in this enterprise, and asked the railroad company to name the engine which should draw the first passenger train to Georgetown, the “Dr. L. B. Miles.”  This resolution was favorably received by the board, and no doubt will be favorably acted upon.  It is safe to say there is no man in Brown County who has labored so energetically and unceasingly for the success of the Cincinnati, Georgetown & Portsmouth Railroad as Dr. L. B. Miles.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 30
  Pleasant Twp. -
CHARLES MILLER, farmer, P. O. Higginsport, was born in Germany Apr. 7, 1850, the son of Saul and Catherine (Ruck) Miller.  In 1866, he emigrated with his parents to America and settled in Brown County.  For six years, he work by the month on farms, receiving from $8-1/3 to $18 per month.  In 1873, he was married to Mary, daughter of Peter and Mary Ann (Jenika) Hartmetz.  Mary was born in Brown County, but her parents were both natives of Germany.  Mr. and Mrs. Miller have three children - Emma, Louisa and Edward.  Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Miller has been Trustee.  He owns a farm of 128 acres.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  31
  Franklin Twp. -
CHARLES L. MILLER, hotel, Arnheim, proprietor of hotel and saloon, was born in Germany May 1, 1833.  He accompanied his parents to America in 1837.  His father, Christian Miller, located in Franklin Township, on a farm of 120 acres now owned by Isaac Waters.  He was a lock and black smith by trade, but did not work at either trade after coming to Brown County.  He died in 1845; his wife in October, 1869.  Mr. Miller was reared on the home farm, living there till nineteen years of age.  He then went to Campbell County, Ky., where he "farmed it" for four years.  Returning to Franklin Township, he was married, Jan. 26, 1856, to Charlotte Neu, a native of this county.  He subsequently bought a farm exceeding 100 acres, which he farmed, personally, until October, 1881.  He then sold a portion of the land, but still owns seventy-seven acres.  In October, 1871, he commenced in his present business at Arnheim, in which he has been moderately successful.  Mr. Miller is a strong Democrat, and once served his neighbors as Road Supervisor.  Five children have been born to himself and wife - Lizzie, wife of Ethan A. Lindsay; Charlotte, wife of James H. Courts; Charles; Laura; and Freddie C.  Mr. Miller is one of the most prominent German citizens of Arnheim and Franklin Township, as is well known throughout Brown County.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  206
  Lewis Twp. -
J. R. MILLER, farmer, P. O. Feesburg.  The gentleman whose name heads this sketch was born in Clermont County, near Felicity, Mar. 4, 1822, and from fourteen years of age lived in Brown County, on the farm now owned by A. B. Manchester.  He was raised to farm life and assisted his father until May 29, 1851, when he married Harriet, daughter of Stephen Bolender, whose history appears in this volume.  She was born Dec. 22, 1832, in Lewis Township, Brown County.  Soon after marriage, they settled in Taylor's Survey, No. 1659, where he owned fifty acres, subsequently owning other land, which he traded for his present farm in 1859.  It consists of sixty-four acres in R. K. Mead's Survey, No. 1662, under good cultivation.  He and wife have seven children, viz., Granville P., Irminda J., Phebe A., Rebecca C., Stephen W, Hattie E. and William H.  The family are members of the Christian Church.  His political ideas are Democratic, as were his ancestors.  During the war of the late rebellion, he was thrice drafted, but being a liberal contributor to the finances to suppress the rebellion, he did not enter the ranks.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 111
  Jefferson Twp. -
JOHNSON MILLER, farmer, P. O. Russellville. Samuel Miller, father of the subject of this sketch, was born about 1782 in Pennsylvania.  In his youth he learned the trade of a millwright, which he followed the greater portion of his life.  He married Lydia Baird, by whom he had nine children, all of whom but one grew to manhood, there being no daughters. He emigrated to Brown County, Ohio, about 1824, and settled on Straight Creek, near Ripley, where he remained perhaps five years, when he moved to what is now known as Jefferson Township, and settled about two and a half miles west of Russellville, where he remained until his decease in 1852.  His wife died during the winter of the same year.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, a man of sterling worth and reliable character, and respected by all who knew him.  Johnson Miller, subject of this sketch, was born Aug. 27, 1827, in Brown County, Ohio, near Ripley.  His youth was spent on a farm, and he received but a limited education.  In 1849, he went to Brazil, Clay Co., Ind., where he ran a mill for perhaps ten years.  In 1862, he returned to Brown County, Ohio, and settled on a farm located west of Russellville, in Jefferson Township.  In December, 1862, he married Sarah E. Gilbert, a lady of culture and superior intellectual powers, born Apr. 2, 1834, and daughter of John and Lettie Gilbert, of Tippecanoe County, Ind.  This union has been blessed with three children—John G., Mabel M. and Blanche L.  Mr. Miller has been successful in business, is the owner of 126 acres of land, and a member of the F. & A. M. Lodge, at Russellville.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 240
  Scott Twp. -
R. F. M. MILLER, farmer, P O. Wahsburg, son of John A. and Jane (Spires) Miller, was born Oct. 29, 1835, in Scott Township, Brown Co., Ohio; his father was a native of Brown County, and his mother of Pennsylvania.  Mr. Miller was educated in the common schools of the county.  His father died when he was ten years old, and he and his brother, two years older, took charge of the farm and assisted their mother to raise the family.  Mr. Miller was married in 1855, to Martha McCoy, daughter of James and Sarah (Fite) McCoy, who was born Oct. 17, 1835.  They have  ten children living - James A., Frank A., John C., William H., Lillie A., Mary E., Nancy E., Thomas L. H., Nettie J. and Richard Lee.  James is married to Ella, daughter of Hiram DayMr. Miller, wife, James, John and Lillie, are members of the Christian Church.  Mr. Miller is also a School Director and a member of the Township Board.  He is a quiet industrious farmer.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  252
  Eagle Twp. -
RUDOLPH MILLER, farmer, P. O. South Fincastle, was born in January, 1808, in Germany; his parents were Rudolph and Mary Miller; he was reared on a farm, and received a fair German education.  In December, 1832, he married Mary S. Loganbaehl, by whom he has six children, viz., Charles, Jacob, Frederick, Philip, Lewis and Elizabeth.  In August, 1846, he emigrated to America, and came to this township, where he still resides.  Mr. Miller contributes liberally to all enterprises which prove beneficial to the county; is a member of the German Lutheran Church, and the owner of 195 acres of land.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  227
  Franklin Twp. -
JAMES MOORE (deceased), an honored citizen of Franklin Township, was born in Byrd Township, near Russellville, Brown County, Ohio. Dec. 4, 1800.  His father was Moses Moore, a native of Scotland, and of Scotch-Irish descent.  The subject of this notice was reared in this county, living in it all his life, with the exception of a twenty years' residence in Adams County, Ohio.  He was a resident of Franklin Township twenty-six years, and one of its best citizens, till his death, which occurred Mar. 5, 1882.  H is buried in Beard's Cemetery, near Russellville.  Mr. Moore married Mary Rhodes, a native of Ohio.  Of the eleven children given them, eight are living - Caroline; Robert C.; Emily, wife of Wilson Young, a farmer of Franklin Township; Eleanor, wife of William Bohn, a farmer of Washington Township; John; Elizabeth, wife of Frederick Grosse, a farmer of Jefferson Township; Amelia; and Katy Ann, wife of Lewis Meyers.  Mrs. Moore is still living, and resides on the old homestead of 187½ acres.  This land is farmed by the two sons, Robert C. and John.  The former was born in Adams County, Ohio, Mar. 2, 1843, and resided with his father all his life, and is yet a resident on the home farm.  He was married, Feb. 10, 1870, to Laura, daughter of Robert Dunn, a farmer of Washington Township.  They have five children - Mary E., Callie A., Robert J., Laura S. and John T.  James Moore was a member of the Presbyterian Church at Russellville; Republican in politics, as are also his sons, Robert C. and John.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  207
  Byrd Twp. -
JAMES P. MOORE, farmer, P.O. Decatur, is a son of Samuel and Betsy (Gilliland) Moore, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively.  He (Samuel) came to Adam County with his father, James Moore, in 1815.  James was a native of Rockbridge County, Va., and ranked among the early pioneers of Adams County; he died in 1835.  Samuel is at this time living in the seventy-seventh years of his age.  His wife (Betsy died in 1862.  The subject of this sketch was born on the homestead in Liberty Township in 1830.  Securing such education as could be had in the schools of the day, he followed teaching for twenty years in the district schools of Brown, Adams and Champaign Counties.  He was married in his native township, Adams County, in 1856 to Miss Mary A., daughter of William B. Ellis.  To them eight children have been born seven of whom are living, viz., William E., Samuel A., Louis E., John T. Lorena, Ella C. and George H.  Mr. Moore moved to Brown County in 1869, and settled on his present estate, consisting of 157 acres, valued at $40 per acre.  He is Township Trustee and School Director, and an Elder in the Liberty Presbyterian Church.  He was appraiser of the township in 1880, and served on the committee of elections, and has always taken an active interest in public affairs.  Politically, he is a Republican.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  303
  Pleasant Twp. -
JOHN R. MOORE, Prosecuting Attorney of Brown County, Georgetown, was born at Russellville, Jefferson Township, Sept. 2, 1846.  He grandfather, James Moore, was of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and located in what is now Jefferson Township, Brown Co., Ohio, in 1796 or 1797.  He was an Associate Judge of the first court in Brown County, held at Ripley,  in 1818.  Mr. Moore's father was James B. Moore, born in 1800, and a farmer through life.  He was a Whig politically, and died in May, 1868.  He married Mary A. Eyler, of Winchester, Adams Co., Ohio, a daughter of Joseph Eyler, who lived to a ripe old age.  Mr. Moore grew up on the homestead farm, and received a good literary training in the Miami University at Oxford, Ohio; he remained a good literary training in the Miami University, at Oxford, Ohio; he remained there three years, graduating in the class of 1869.  Soon after leaving college, he commenced the study of law with J. R. Cockerell, of West Union, Adams Co., Ohio, with whom he prosecuted his studies till his admittance to the bar, at Columbus, in the spring of 1871; he also taught school a short time during this period.  The same year he was licensed to practice, Mr. Moore came to Georgetown and opened a law office, remaining alone in his practice until Nov. 3, 1879, when a partnership was formed with A. E. Moore and George W. Harding, under the firm name of Moore, Harding & Moore.  In November, 1881, A. E. Moore retired from the firm (removing his practice to Cincinnati), and the firm has since been Moore & Harding.  In the fall of 1878, Mr. Moore was elected to his present office.  He is a member of the Masonic and Knights of Pythias Lodges.  He was married, May 10, 1871, to Lizzie McKibben, a native of Georgetown.  They have two children - Mary and NellieMrs. Moore is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  32
  Union Twp. -
JOSEPH A. MOORE, farmer, P. O. Ripley, is a son of William J., and Mary (Curry) Moore, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Virginia.  His paternal grandparent, William Moore, was born in Ireland, and when twelve years of age crossed the ocean to America.  His permanent settlement was made in Mason County, Ky., where he died.  William, Jr., moved to Pleasant Township, Brown County, at a very early day, and purchased a large body of land, selecting a site for his residence near Georgetown.  He dealt extensively in flour and pork, and stock-raising, and undoubtedly was the most extensive farmer of the early times.  He was a large and undoubtedly was the most extensive farmer of the early times.  He was a large money loaner, and a representative and self-made man in every respect.  He raised a family of twelve children, eight of whom are living.  The youngest son, William S., was a physician, and at the breaking-out of the war enlisted as Surgeon of the Sixty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was killed by a solid shot at Gettysburg.  The subject of this sketch was born in Pleasant Township, Brown County, Aug. 14, 1822.  He was raised on a farm, and his educational advantages only such as could be had in the rude school buildings of the day.  His marriage to Miss Nancy J. King occurred in 1847.  She was a daughter of Absalom and Margaret King, early pioneers of the county (both deceased).  To this union four children have been born - the eldest, Edwin K., married Eva, daughter of Gen. Carlton, a Lieutenant in the Regular Naval United States Service; Mary L., wife of Henry C. Loudon, a son of Gen. James Loudon (deceased), who was one of Brown County's prominent men; Henry L., a graduate of Dartmouth College, N. H., at this time Principal of a public school at Minneapolis, Minn., was united in marriage to Miss Nettie Center, a native of Lake City, Minn., where he, Henry, was formerly engaged as a teacher; J. Frank, youngest son, at present serving a third year at Dartmouth, and will graduate in 1883.  Mr. M. has been largely engaged in leaf tobacco trade, but at this writing is caring for his landed estates, being an extensive land-owner.  He has lately purchased his present farm a few miles from Ripley, upon which he is making extensive repairs, and when completed, will be one of the finest in the county.  Mr. M. has been enrolled for years a member of the Masonic order, and is one of the oldest living and respected pilgrims of Brown.  His father died in this county in 1858.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  78
  Washington Twp. -
JOSIAH MOORE
(deceased), the son of John and Frances (Graham) Moore, an account of whom appears in the township history proper, was born in what is now Brown County (then Adams), Ohio, Aug. 6, 1807.  He was reared on his father's farm and received a liberal education under the instruction of his father, who was a scholar and teacher.  On the 28th of December, 1828, he was united in marriage with Patsy Gilliland of the pioneer family of that name, settling in what is now Brown County.  To this union was born one son - C. B. Moore - now a resident of Hillsboro, Ohio.  Mrs. Moore died Oct. 9, 1831, and on the 12th of the following March Mr. Moore was married to Phoebe Rondabush, a member of the Rondabush family, of Clermont County.  There were born to the second marriage seven children, two of whom died in infancy.  The eldest, Theresa A., married J. R. Cluxton, and they now reside in Hillsboro, Ohio.  The second daughter married G. W. Henderson, of Warren County, this State; and the next daughter married G. G. Crane, a farmer of Clermont County, Ohio, where the couple now reside.  The youngest daughter, Mary G., is unmarried, and resides with her sister, Mrs. Dr. Henderson.  The only son, Oren B., is a resident of Sardinia, this county.  Our subject died Aug. 3, 1850, in the forty-third year of his age.  He was a man of good education and much intelligence; had a pleasing address, and possessed splendid social qualities.  He was an active worker in the Presbyterian Church at Sardinia, of which he was a worthy member and a liberal supporter.  In politics, Mr. Moore was a Free Soiler, and afterward a strong and prominent Abolitionist, and in 1843 was chosen by the Free Soil party of Brown County as their candidate for Representative, but, the party being in the minority, he was defeated.  He was an advocate of temperance, and in the laying-out of Sardinia, which village he, in connection with William Lilly, was the original proprietor of, it was generally understood that it was to be a temperance town.  He became an active and enterprising business man of the village, and his death was deplored by the community.  Mrs. Moore, his wife, died in 1874, aged sixty-three years.  Oren B. Moore, son of our subject, and the only representative of the Moore family in Brown County, was born in this county in the year 1845.  He received his education in the common schools of his native village (Sardinia). In 1870, he married Miss Lizzie J. Campbell, of Sardinia, and to them have been born three children.  Mr. Moore have inherited many of the good qualities of his father and grandfather.  He displays much of the spirit of enterprise possessed by his father, and has made a number of improvements that are a credit to the village.  Until his marriage, Mr. Moore was engaged in farming, since which period he has been speculating in stock and tobacco.  In 1879, in connection with W. G. Campbell, his brother-in-law, he embarked in the hardware business at Sardinia, and continues in that employment.  Since 1880, he has been dealing quite largely in the leaf tobacco trade.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page 290
  Perry Twp. -
THOMAS MOORE, farmer, P. O. Fayetteville, son of Levi and Mary (Morgan) Moore, was born near Perrintown, Clinton Co., Ohio, Dec. 6, 1825.  In 1837 his parents came to the southern part of this township, where they bought sixty-three acres of land on the Georgetown pike, and built the house where J. J. Jacquemie_ now lives.  His father died there in 1844.  His mother also died in this township about 1857.  Thomas was married in this township in 1849, to Ellen, daughter of Richard K. and Agnes (Bamber) Holden, born in this township.  They have eight children, born in this township - Agnes, Rachael, Thomas, Mary, John, William, Anna and Ellen.  Mr. Moore now has nineteen acres of land on the Georgetown pike,  three-fourths of a mile south of Chasetown.  He has been Supervisor four years, and School Director three years.  Family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  144
  Green Twp. -
WILLIAM MOUNT, farmer, P. O. Five Mile; the subject of this sketch was born Sept. 22, 1839, in Warren County, Ohio.  His parents were John and Mary (deceased) Mount; they had five children, of whom three are yet living - William, Samuel and Nancy.  They, after their marriage, lived in Warren County until her death in August, 1863.  John  Mount then married Nancy Goodridge, and is now living in Highland County.  Our subject has from his youth up, devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits.  In November, 1859, in Warren County, he married Eliza A. Krownover, by whom he had five children, three still living - Maria A., Wilson and Laura F.  She died in September, 1867, and he again married, Mar. 1, 1872, Mary J. Young, born in November, 1850, daughter of Duncan and Elizabeth Young.  To them have been born five children, four living - Elizabeth, Sarah C., Cornelius and Leonard.  In March, 1878, Mr. Mount moved from Highland County, where he resided ten years, to Brown County, and located in Green Township, where he now resides.  He has served as Trustee of Green Township, and is the owner of 100 acres of good land.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  265
  Perry Twp. -
NICHOLAS J. MUEL, farmer, P. O. Fayetteville, son of Joseph and Janette Muel, was born in Belgium in 1823.  He came to the United States in 1848, and was married in this township in 1850, to Catharine, daughter of Henry J. and Mary J. (Bowen) Leonard.  They have a fine family of seven children, all born in this township.  Soon after his marriage he came to the southeastern part of this townships, where he bought twenty acres of his present farm of eighty-eight acres of land.  Himself and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  144
  Perry Twp. -
DANIEL F. MURPHY, farmer, P. O. St. Martin's, son of Daniel and Johanna (Fitzgerald) Murphy, was born in Cork County, Ireland, June 8, 1808.  He was married in Ireland to Mary Kaley, by whom he had four children, one now living - Catherine a nun in the Ursuline Convent of St. Martin's the past eighteen years.  Mr. Murphy came to this country in July, 1848, landing at Boston, where he remained one year, and then went to Oneida County, N. Y., where he was engaged in farming.  In April 1864, he settled on the farm he now owns, of fifty-one acres, which he had bought four years previous.  His wife died in this county in 1853, and he again married in November, 1856, to Bridget Hogan, by whom he has six children - Daniel, David, Richard, William, Dennis and Mary.  Mr. Murphy and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  144
  Perry Twp. -
DAVID MURPHY, farmer, P. O. Fayetteville, son of Daniel Murphy, was born in Cork County, Ireland, in 1810.  He came to this county in 1852, and bought fifty acres of land on Solomon's Run.  He has been a hard-working, industrious man and is highly respected by the community in which he dwells.  By industry and economy, he has added to his little farm till he now has over 200 acres of fine land, one and one-half miles northeast of Fayetteville.  He was married in Ireland before coming to this country to Hannah O'Connell, by whom he has four children - Daniel, John, Hannah and Katie.  He has been Trustee of this township one year.  The family are members of the Catholic Church..
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  144
  Green Twp. -
JOHN F. MURPHY, farmer, P. O. Union Plains.  The subject of this sketch was born June 23, 1847, in Fayette County, Penn.  In 1849, with his parents, Henry and Jane Murphy, he came to Ohio, and they located near Buford, Highland County, for one year, thence located near Danville, where his father died in 1879.  His mother yet survives her deceased husband, and is now living in Highland County.  They were the parents of four children, three of whom are now living.  The subject of this sketch from his youth has been engaged in agricultural pursuits and received an ordinary common school education.  He married Miss Elizabeth Shaffer, by whom he has four children - Foster E., Oscar A., Jessie A. and Henry.  For one year subsequent to his marriage, Mr. Murphy lived in Highland County, thence he moved to Adams County, where he remained two years.  He then returned to Highland County, where he located eight years.  In the spring of 1879, he located in the northern portion of Green Township, Brown County, where he now resides.  This gentleman is one of the self-made men of Green Township, having made all he has by his industry and hard work.  Politically, his views are Democratic; he is the owner of 193 acres of land.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  268
  Union Twp. -
M. M. MURPHY, druggist, Ripley.  Hercules Murphy, the grandfather of our subject, was a native of Tyrone County, Ireland, and settled in Manchester, Ohio, about the year 1800, and subsequently moved to Highland County, where he died.  M. M. Murphy was born at New Market, Highland Co., Ohio, in 1829, and is a son of Daniel H. and Melissa (Barrere) Murphy, both natives of Highland County.  His grandfather, George W. Barrere, was a native of Kentucky, and of French extraction, and came to Ohio about the year 1838.  He was a prosperous and successful merchant at Ripley for many years, in the dry goods business; also operated largely in the pork packing business, and shipped many cargoes to New Orleans and other points.  In 1861, he closed up his mercantile affairs; and in 1862 was appointed Internal Revenue Assessor for the Sixth Ohio District, which office he filled until removed by Andy Johnson in 1866.  He continued in the revenue business with his successor, Collector White, and was killed in 1868, being one of the unfortunate passengers on the ill-fated steamer Magnolia, whose boiler exploded on her passage up from Cincinnati, in March of that year.  He was one of the charter members of the Masonic Lodge.  M. M. Murphy was trained to a mercantile life in his father's store.  He served in the Quartermaster's Department, under Capt. Gater, in the Army of the Tennessee, receiving his appointment in 1862; and was attached to Grant's army, at the capture of Vicksburg, July 4, 1863; by reason of sickness, returned home soon after.  He immediately took position as Clerk in the office of Assessor of Internal Revenue, continuing in that position until 1870; since which time he has been continuously engaged in the drug business.  He was married in Sept. 1870, to Miss Ella Brogan a native of Newport, Ky.  Mr. M. has served Ripley as its Mayor for two terms, and as Councilman the same length of time; and for several years a member of the Board of Education.  Mr. and Mrs. Murphy have two children - Melissa and Nanny.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  79
  Perry Twp. -
RICHARD MURPHY, farmer, P. O. St. Martin's, son of Daniel and Johanna Murphy, was born in County Cork, Ireland, in 1804.  He was married in Ireland to Johanna Bailey, by whom he had four children, one living - Daniel.  In 1854, he came with his family to the United States, and settled in Huntington Township, this county.  In 1865, he came to this township and bought seventy-five acres of land about two miles northwest of St. Martin's,, where he now resides.  Himself and family are members of the Catholic Church.
Source: The History of Brown County Ohio - Chicago - W. H. Beers & Co. - 1883 - Page  144

 

.

.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
BROWN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights