FIFTH OHIO CAVALRY
The work of raising this regiment was begun
early in August, 1861, under the direction of Major General
Fremont. The first name, "Second Ohio Cavalry," was
changed to "Fifth" by Governor Dennison, upon the removal
of General Fremont. From the first of November to
the February following, the regiment remained at Camp Dennison,
engaged in preparation for active service. on the
twenty-sixth of this month, marching orders arrived for Paducah,
Kentucky. Although poorly equipped, the orders were
joyfully obeyed, and, after reporting to Brigadier General W. T.
Sherman at Paducah, it proceeded to Fort Henry, thence to
Danville, and it proceeded to Fort Henry, thence to Danville,
and finally up the river to Savannah. Previous to the
battle of Pittsburgh Landing, the battalion was on numerous
scouts, and had several skirmishes with the rebels in the
vicinity of Purdy. Early on the morning of the sixth,
while the men were preparing breakfast, the rebels began a storm
of attack. The cavalry were soon the aim of the enemy's
artillery, yet not a man of this raw cavalry regiment, in this
the first fight - and that fight Pittsburgh Landing - failed to
stand his ground. In fact, the behavior of officers and men
throughout this closely-fought and trying battle was highly
commended by Generals Grant and Sherman. The Fifth
advanced with the army in the slow siege of Corinth. The
first and second battalions brought on the battle of Metamora.
They fought bravely, capturing many prisoners. The third
battle was with General Rosecrans at Corinth, and the command
again behaved well. A part of it checked the advance of
Van Dorn's ten thousand in the battle of Davis' Mill. The
conduct of this heroic handful of men shone so brilliantly, in
contrast with the shameful surrender of Holly Springs, that it
caused General Grant to recount their valor in general order,
requesting the whole army to follow their example, and ordering
that the "Fifth Ohio Cavalry inscribe on its colors, in addition
to "Pittsburgh Landing, " the name "Davis' Mill." On the
twenty-first of March, the regiment moved from Germantown to
Memphis, and again picketed that city. While here,
numerous expeditions were made southward against the enemy's
cavalry, by which the regiment sustained some heavy losses in
killed, wounded, and prisoners. The corruption at Memphis
was indescribable, and the men, in spite of discipline, would
find ways of reaching the city. At length orders came, and
the command moved toward Camp Davis, Mississippi, where it was
joined by the Third battalion, under Major Smith, which had been
detached for more than a year. While this battalion was
acting independently, it was engaged in forty-seven skirmishes
and actions. It captured more than three hundred
prisoners, and as many horses and mules. It marched over
fifteen hundred miles. In all, the number of killed and
captured did not exceed twenty-five. Resting but one day
after the union of the three battalions, the work of the
regiment was entered upon - the protection of Corinth. In
anticipation of spending the winter at Camp Davis, a complete
camp had been built, when from Major General W. T. Sherman came
the order "March at daylight (October 17, 1863) toward
Chattanooga." There was skirmishing on the twentieth at
Cherokee station; the twenty-second, twenty-third and
twenty-fourth were likewise employed. Arriving at
Chattanooga, a part remained there and at Mission Ridge,
guarding trains, while a part served upon the field, and
followed the retreating rebels as far as Ringgold. After
this time this command is heard of at Knoxville and other
important points, bearing no small part in the service of
suffering and enduring as well as acting. During the
spring of 1864, the regiment effected a veteran organization.
July 13th, it reached Cartersville, and remained the rest of the
summer, protecting the railroad from the incessant attacks of
the rebel cavalry. On the seventh of November, it was
transferred to General Kilpatrick's cavalry division. Here
the work of concentration had been going on for some days; but
so short was the time allowed that hundreds of men were
necessarily organized into a dismounted brigade. The First
Ohio squadron, Captain Dalzell, was here attached to the Fifth.
The cavalry arrived at Atlanta, November 14th, and the following
morning commenced the "March to the Sea." The Fifth was in
all the operations of the command, many of them arduous and
dangerous, until after the fall of Savannah, when it was placed
near King's Bridge. On the twenty-eighth of January, 1865,
the command, for the first time, trod the "Sacred Soil" of
chivalric South Carolina. On the eighth of February, the
Third brigade, of which the Fifth was now a part, completely
routed General Hagan's brigade of six regiments, capturing five
battle-flags and a number of prisoners.. After further
marching and skirmishing for more than a month, it was
temporarily stampeded with its brigade, March 10th, in a night
attack, by three divisions of the rebels under Wade Hampton,
losing seventy-three killed, wounded and missing. It was
in the final actions of Sherman's army at Averysborough and
Bentonville, and was the first regiment to enter Raleigh, and
restore the National flag to the dome of the capitol.
After the close of the war, it occupied western North Carolina,
preserving the peace in the turbulent districts, until October
30 1865, when the glorious career of the gallant, Fifth ended,
and its members resumed their places as citizens of the
FIELD AND STAFF.
Major Phineas R. Minor
Major Joseph Smith
Veterinary Sergeant John G. Colvin
Captain Joseph C. Smith
First Lieutenant Caleb Marker
Second Lieutenant Lewis C. Swerer
First Sergeant Robert F. Alexander
Quartermaster Sergeant William S. Harraman
Sergeant John N. Parmerlee
Sergeant Silas M. Brawley
Sergeant John Wilkins
Sergeant Alexander C. Ford
Corporal Leander M. Brawley
Corporal Uriah Vandeweer
Corporal Samuel Swerer
Corporal Adalbert Hazeltine
Corporal Robert Clark
Corporal Calvin Brumbaugh
Corporal Archibald Bell
Corporal Robert M. Wollerd
Bugler Adam Wirts
Bugler, David A. Eliassen
Farrier Alexander Keggy
Farrier David Hart
Saddler Charles Braffett
Wagoner Josiah D. Phillips
|Aker, James W.
Bowerox, John R.
Boyer, Jacob B.
Brawley, Charles H.
Conoway, James M.
Cullins, Thomas H.
Enochs, Lewis E. D.
Fleming, Holly H.
Grayhann, James F.
Harreman, William B.
Judy, John N.
McCowen, John C.
McKee, Robert T.
McManus, Charles H.
|McPherson, John J.
McWhinney, John W.
Purviance, Marcus D.
Reid, William P.
Rough, Jacob F.
Spencer, Lemuel J.
Spencer, William S.
Stout, Dewit C.
Swain, Martin A.
Swain, Walter B.
Tucker, James H.
Vanausdal, Arthur L.
Walls, Jacob C.
Williams, Alexander D.
Captain Phineas R. Miner
First Lieutenant Charles B. Cooper
Second Lieutenant John D. Truitt
First Sergeant Robert W. Morgan
Quartermaster Sergeant David Culver
Sergeant John W. Slayton
Sergeant John W. Christman, sr.
Sergeant William A. Snyder
Sergeant Isaac N. Shelby
Corporal Charles Harbach
Corporal William Shearman
Corporal John H. Lonk
Corporal Isaac Masony
Corporal Eli Minor
Corporal Andy M. Weller
Corporal Robert Steel
Corporal Ferdinand Rice
Bugler James Long
Bugler Frank McFarland
Farrier John G. Colner
Farrier Samuel Cuert
Saddler John H. Bruse
Wagoner Ephraim F. Barnes
Blair, John W.
Brock, Thomas M.
Campbell, William L.
Christman, John W., jr.
Christman, John D.
Cooper, Thomas P.
Colibill, William H.
Collum, Squire L.
Emerson, Nathan C.
Harris, Gavland W.
Homer, John F.
Jarrett, James M.
Knisly, John W.
|Miles, Edward F.
McGrew, George W.
Patterson, William H.
Robinson, John H.
Randall, Asa B.
Ridgeley, John H.
Simpson, Jeremiah T.
Shippy, John F.
Shelly, Richard L.
Shippy, Sylvester T. P.
Town, Charles W.
Thayer, Albert N.
Thomas, Marcius L.
Waters, Thomas Y.