OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Fulton County,  Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The County of Fulton
A History of Fulton County, Ohio

Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association
1905

Transcribed by Sharon Wick

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1905 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  RICHARD H. SCOTT is numbered among the enterprising and representative agriculturists of Royalton township; he is also vice-president of the Fulton County Savings Bank, of Lyons, and he is an honored pioneer of the county, where he has made his home for more than half a century.  Mr. Scott has the distinction of being a native of the national metropolis, having been born in New York city, on the 9th of June, 1836, and being a son of Robert and Eliza (Halsey) Scott.  His father was born in Glasgow, Scotland, whence he came to America in youth, and the mother was a native of the city of Boston, and a member of one of the old Colonial families of New England.  This worthy couple was numbered among the prominent pioneers of Fulton county, Ohio, having located in Royalton township in the early '50's.  Here the father secured eighty acres of wild land, heavily timbered, the property being located in Section 8, and he cleared and improved the place, with the aid of his two sons.  Both parents continued to reside on this homestead until death, honored by all who knew them.  Of their two children the elder, Walter, was killed on shipboard, on the Indian ocean, while en route from New York city to Canton, China.  Richard H., the younger son, was reared to the age of seventeen years in New York city, where he received good educational advantages, and the year 1853 marks the date of his arrival in Fulton county, where he gave material aid to his father in his reclamation of the homestead farm, and he also cleared from the wilds a portion of the farm upon which he now resides.  He has one hundred and sixty acres of most arable land and has made the best of improvements on the place, including the erection of a handsome residence, making the farmstead one of the most valuable and attractive in this part of the county.  Mr. Scott was a loyal soldier of the Union during the War of the Rebellion, having enlisted, on the 16th of October, 1861, as a private in Company I, Sixty-seventh Ohio volunteer infantry, which was assigned to the Army of the Potomac, and he was an active participant in all the engagements in which his command took part until he was compelled to retire, by reason of physical disability, having received his honorable discharge in January, 1863.  In politics he has been identified with the Republican party from the time of its organization, and the confidence and regard of the community has been manifested in his being called upon to serve in various offices of distinctive trust and responsibility.  He was trustee of Royalton township for fifteen years, and was a member of the board of county commissioners for two terms, of three years each.  He was one of the organizers of the Fulton County Savings bank, at Lyons, has been a member of its directorate from the start, and for the past two years he has been vice-president of the institution.  He is a member of Baxter Post, No. 238, G. A. R.  In 1853 Mr. Scott was united in marriage to Miss Lucy A. Hilton, daughter of Jesse and Cynthia (Travers) Hilton, of Royalton township, and one son was born of this union, George C. who married Miss Lottie Hoag and who died in 1902 leaving one son, Charles E.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 540
  CHARLES L. SEWARD is properly given representation in this volume by reason of his standing as one of the progressive farmers  and highly esteemed citizens of Royalton township, his finely improved farm lying contiguous to the village of Seward, which was named in honor of the family of which he is a member.  He was born on the homestead farm, in Royalton township, Aug. 15, 1862, and is a son of Charles N. and Lucy (Roop) Seward.  His paternal grandfather, David Seward, a native of Connecticut, settled in Wayne county, Michigan, in 1834, and somewhat later, while making a visit to Monroe, that State, he was taken ill and there died.  His wife, whose maiden name was Susanna Smith, was born in Delaware county, N. Y., and they became the parents of eight children, namely: Lambert, Parmelia (Mrs. Samuel Richards), Paulina (Mrs. Thomas Lee), Aaron, Versal, Charles N., and Orsemus.   In 1839 the widow and her children removed to Fairfield township, Lenawee county, Mich., and there she passed the remainder of her life.   Charles Nelson Seward, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Delaware county, N. Y., Mar. 17, 1823, and was eleven years of age at the time of the family removal of Michigan, where he was reared to maturity.  On the 1st of January, 1840, he located in Royalton township, Fulton county, Ohio, where for many yeas he successfully followed the carpenter trade, becoming one of the leading contractors and builders of this section and being identified with the erection of a large number of the first houses in the township, and he also assisted in the construction of the old plank-road, one of the first improved highways in this part of the county.  In the early pioneer days his services were also much in requisition in the manufacturing of coffins.  Sept. 5, 1852, he married Miss Lucy Roop, daughter of John and Mary (Mills) Roop, of Amboy township, and they became the parents of five children, namely:  Melvin D., Alvin T., Ida (Mrs. Edgar Fuller), Charles L. and William H.  Charles L. was reared to manhood in Royalton township and duly availed himself of the advantages of the local schools during his boyhood and youth, and he has always followed farming as a vocation.  He located on his present farm in 1901, the place comprising one hundred acres and being under a high order of productivity and improved with excellent buildings, making it one of the model farms of the township.  He is a loyal supported of the principles and cause of the Democratic party, and has served two terms as justice of the  peace and one term as trustee of his native township.  He is affiliated with Royalton Union Lodge, No. 434, Free and Accepted Masons; Lyons Chapter, No. 175, Royal Arch Masons, and Eastern Star, Magnolia Chapter, No. 87.  July 29, 1883, Mr. Seward was united in marriage to Alice, daughter of Benson L. and Mary (Young) Barden, honored pioneers of Royalton township and widow of Alonzo Patterson.  Two children were born on her first marriage - Mary E., deceased wife of George S. Brown, and Welcome, who remains with her mother.  Mr. and Mrs. Seward have one son, Charles Lewis, who is associated with his father in the management of the home farm.  Both the father and mother of the subject of this sketch are living and have spent fifty-three years of their life together.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 544
  ABRAM HOLMES SMITH, senior member of the Delta Milling company, is one of the early settlers of Fulton county, and during his residence of fifty-seven years has witnessed the phenomenal growth and prosperity of his adopted county with feelings of pride.  He was born in Reed township Seneca county, O., Feb. 2, 1832, and is a son of Elijah and Delano (Holmes) Smith, the former being a native of New York and the latter of Maine.  The parents were married in Scipio township, Seneca county, in 1829, the wife dying at the age of nineteen, when Abram was an infant three days old.  Elijah Smith remained a resident of Seneca county until 1838, when he removed to Crawford county, and coming to Lucas county in 1847, he located on a farm four miles southwest of Delta.  Here he resided until 1870, when he removed to Wauseon and there died two years later, aged sixty-five years.  Two children were born to father's first marriage, Abram being the only surviving one.  Elijah Smith and second wife were the parents of two children: E. J. Smith, a farmer living on the old homestead, and Mrs. Mary E. McComb, of Ogden Center, Mich.  Abram Holmes Smith attended the district school until 1849, after which he spent one school-year at the Republic Academy, Seneca county, an institution under the management of Professor Harvey, subsequently Superintendent of Public Instruction for the State of Ohio.  Farming in season and teaching during the winter months constituted the work of Mr. Smith until 1869, when he removed to Wauseon and there engaged in the manufacture of  carriages, operating a plant employing from eight to ten mechanics.  As this business venture did not prove profitable he abandoned it and served as an employee of Lyon, Clement & Greenleaf in the milling business for seven years.  In November, 1889, he formed a business partnership with W. H. Lambert, a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere in this work, and together they purchased the Delta mill of Charles Cullin,  In 1900 this plant was destroyed by fire.  Since that time a new mill has been erected and incorporated, the capitalization being twenty thousand dollars, of which Smith and Lambert own ninety per cent.  The mill has a capacity of seventy-five barrels per day and employs nine persons.  In political views Mr. Smith has been a Republican since the organization of the party and he cast his first vote for president for Gen. John C. Fremont.  He has held the office offices of clerk, trustee and treasurer of York township, clerk of Clinton township and of the school-board while a resident of Wauseon.  For twenty-one years he served as one of the school examiners of Fulton county.  With his wife he is a member of the Congregational church, but as this denomination is not represented at Delta, he worships with the Presbyterian church, being one of the ruling elders.  In 1855 he was wedded to Miss Clotilla I. Tremain, a native of Seneca county, who was born in 1835 and came to this locality when one year old.  Her father, Warren Tremain, was the first justice of the peace of York township, many years before the organization of Fulton county.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had four children.  They are:  Eva A., now Mrs. Bate of Bellview, O.; W. L., a merchant of Delta; Delana and Adda having died in infancy.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 563
  ALBERT H. SMITH, a well-known and highly esteemed member of the agricultural community of Fulton township, was born on the old homestead, where he now resides, on the 27th of February, 1857, and is a son of Frederick and Margaret (Nort) Smith  The former was born in Germany in 1821, and was a son of Frederick Smith, Sr., who with his family emigrated to America in 1831, when his son, Frederick Smith, Jr., was a lad, ten years of age.  Frederick Smith, Sr. on coming to Ohio, first settled in Tuscarawas county, but later came as a pioneer to Fulton county, where he engaged in farming and where he spent the remainder of his life, dying at an advanced age on the old homestead, now owned by his grandson, Albert H. Smith.  Fredrick Smith, Sr.'s wife was also a native of Germany and was about eighty years of age at the time of her death.  Here Frederick Smith, Jr. grew to manhood on the farm in Fulton township and followed farming until 1882, when he and his wife removed to Swanton, where both are happily spending their declining years.  They became the parents of five children, namely: George, who is a retired farmer, residing in Holland, Lucas county; Albert H., who is the immediate subject of this review; Edward, who is a prosperous farmer of Fulton township; Charles, who is engaged in the drug business in Swanton, as a member of the firm of Price & Smith; Margaret, the wife of Edward Ott, of Toledo; and Louis, who died in infancy.  Albert H. Smith has passed his entire life on the old homestead farm, and his educational advantages were those afforded in the public schools of the locality.  He has won success in connection with the great farming industry, and his place is one of the model farms of the county.  He devoted considerable attention  to the raising of live-stock of superior grades, and also to dairying, and he is held in high esteem in the community which has represented his home from  the time of his birth.  He is a stanch advocate of the principles of the Democratic party, and Mrs. Smith and their children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Apr. 13, 1882, Mrs. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Delilah Snyder, daughter of Jonas and Susanna (Hostetter) Snyder, both of whom were born in Pennsylvania, where they were married.  Shortly afterward they came to Ohio and located in Fulton township, this county, where both died at the age of sixty-two years, Mr. Snyder having been a representative farmer of the township.  Mr. Snyder and wife became the parents of seven daughters, namely:  Minerva, who became the wife of Albert Stillwell, both being now deceased; Elizabeth, who is the wife of Hiram Toland, of Forest, Hardin county; Emma, who married Albert Robinson and is now deceased; Alice, who is the wife of Watson Gardanier, of Fulton township; Isabel, who is the wife of Peter Shaffer, of Amboy township; Delilah, who is the wife of Mr. Smith of this sketch; and Cora, who is the wife of Manasses Sipe, residing near Manchester, Mich.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith became the parents of four children, of whom three are living.  Frederick G., born Sept. 1, 1884, is now a teacher in the public schools of Swanton.  He was graduated in the high school of that place and later attended the normal schools at Ada, Ohio, and Angola, Ind.  He still remains at the parental home when not engaged in the work of his profession, Leo C., born Apr. 18, 1885, left the Swanton high school at the beginning of his senior year and then entered the Davis Business College, in Toledo, where he took a commercial course.  He passed the winter of 1904-5 in the farm West and is now assisting in the work of the home farm.  Hope Isabel, born Sept. 13, 1892, died at the age of ten years, and Edna Susanna, the youngest of the children, was born Mar. 17, 1894.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 566
  GEORGE W. SMITH, proprietor of the leading meat-market of Metamora, and also a buyer and shipper of live-stock, is an able and popular business man and has passed his entire life in Fulton county, with the exception of about one year.  He was born in Pike township, Oct. 28, 1867, and is a son of Rufus and Elizabeth (Slocum) Smith.  The father was born in Northampton, Mass., in 1822, and was for many years engaged in the hotel business in his native State, where his marriage was solemnized, his wife being a native of Washington Co., N.Y.  In 1862 they came to Fulton county and located in Pike township, where the father developed a fine farm of fifty acres, upon which he still resides, being held in unqualified esteem in the community.  His devoted wife passed away on Dec. 23, 1897.  Their children are: Allister, Alice (wife of Henry Gifford), Alfred, Albert, Frank, Charles, Edward, George W. and SumnerGeorge W. Smith was reared to manhood on the home farm, and to the public schools of his native township he is indebted for his early educational advantages.  He remained identified with the work and management of the home farm until 1892, when he located in Amboy township, where he was successfully engaged in farming and stock-growing until the autumn of 1903, when he removed to Toledo.  In June, 1904, he came to Metamora and purchased the meat-market which he has since successfully conducted, catering to a large and representative trade, and he also does a profitable business in the buying and shipping of stock, especially cattle.  In politics his proclivities are indicated by the stanch adherence he accords to the Republican party, and, fraternally, he is affiliated with Lyons Lodge, No. 622, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  Oct. 27, 1892, Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Blain, of Amboy township, and a granddaughter of Charles and Rachel (Bartholomew) Blain, natives respectively of Onondaga and Montgomery counties, N. Y.  They came to Fulton county prior to 1845, and the grandfather died in 1902, aged eighty-four years.  He reared six sons and three daughters, and four of his sons and two of his sons-in-law were Union soldiers in the Civil war.  The father of Mrs. Smith enlisted in the regular army in 1865, serving three years on the western frontier.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith have two sons - Dallas, born Aug. 17, 1893, and Florence, born Nov. 10, 1897, both attending school.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 567
  GILBERT SMITH, a retired farmer and highly respected citizen of Swanton, is a native of Seneca county, N. Y., where he was born on July 7, 1846.  He is a son of Colwell Smith was a farmer by occupation, having followed that calling with unusual success for many years.  In 1866 he removed from New York State to Lanawee county, Mich., where he and his wife continued to reside until his death in April, 1905.  He was eighty-six years of age at the time of his death, and his widow is now eighty-three years old, and resides in Senica, Mich.  Of the eight children that were born to this venerable couple all are still living - certainly a happy as well as a remarkable state of affairs.  They are:  George W., the eldest, express agent at Sterling, Ill., who served three years during the Civil war in the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth New York infantry, was wounded at Petersburg, Va., June 16, 1864, and discharged from the service because of that disability; Gilbert, the subject of this sketch; Jones, a laborer, residing near Adrian, Mich.; Thomas, a farmer of Lenawee, Mich; Howard, of Seneca, Mich.; Coe a resident of Morenci, Mich.; Jennie, the widow of Frank Van Dorn, a resident of Adrian, Mich., and Irvin, who resides at Seneca, Mich.  All are married and have families.  Gilbert grew to manhood in his native county and received his education by attending the public schools.  On Dec. 26, 1863, at the age of a little past seventeen, he enlisted as a private in Company C of the One Hundred and Twenty-sixth New York infantry (the same regiment in which his brother served), and was assigned to duty with the Second Army Corps in the Army of the Potomac, sharing the honors of that grand old army in the suppression of the Rebellion.  He participated in the battles of the Wilderness, Poe River, Nye River, Spottsylvania, North Ann and Cold Harbor.  In the last named engagement he received a wound which not only disabled him from further active service in the army, but has practically unfitted him for the arduous duties of life.  The wound was received while making a charge to dislodge the Confederate sharp-shooters, who were concealed in the trees and elsewhere and were harassing the command on the firing-line.  While the charge was successful, it was made at the fearful cost to the forty brave volunteers who participated in it.  A minie-ball entered on the right side of Mr. Smith's body and, striking the fourth rib, passed out on the right side of the spinal column, just "grazing it."  The wound was identical with that which cost the life of President Garfield.  After being in Stanton Hospital at Washington, D. C., until the fall of 1864, Mr. Smith had recovered sufficiently to enable him to perform light duty, and he was  detailed as an orderly in the hospital, in which capacity he served until the close of the war.  On June 8, 1865, he received his final discharge.  After his return to his parental home in Seneca county, N. Y., he accompanied his parents to Lawrence county, Mich., the following year.  After his marriage he came to Swanton and located on a farm half a mile south of the village, where he made his home for twenty-four years.  Since December, 1904, he ahs been a resident of Swanton.  Owing to the severity of his wound, he receives a liberal pension from the National government.  In politics he is an upcompromising Republican.  The only public office that he has filled is that of assessor of Swan Creek township.  He is actively identified with Quiggle Post No. 289, Grand Army of the Republic, and is an earnets member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  On Feb. 19, 1870, he was united in the bonds of matrimony with Miss Fannie M. Hinkley, natives of Massachusetts.  To this union there were born the following children:  Herbert L., Floyd D., George W. and Stella.  All are married, Stella being the wife of Lloyd Mizer, of Swanton.  Mrs. Smith died on Sept. 19, 1901.  On Dec. 13, 1902, Mr. Smith was married a second time, the lady of his choice being Miss Myrtle A. Jackson, the daughter of William H. and Harriet R. (Geer) Jackson, formerly of Swan Creek township, but now of Colton, O.  William H. Jackson enlisted as an officer in the Thirty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry and served throughout the Civil war.  To William H. Jackson and wife the following children were born:  James E., and Susan E. are deceased.  Chester D. served in the Spanish-American war, being a member of Company C of the Sixth Ohio volunteer infantry.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 568
  HIRAM B. SMITH, a successful farmer and stock-raiser of Swan Creek township, is a native of Milan, Huron county, O., born Feb. 16, 1862.  He is the son of John and Bertha (Barber) Smith, both natives of the State of New York.  Their family consisted of three sons and one daughter, deceased, as follows:  William, a resident of Swanton; Alfred, who is on the farm with his brother Hiram; Hiram B., and Susan who was the wife of Theodore Little of Swanton, where she died, leaving two daughters.  Hiram B. Smith accompanied his parents to Fulton county when he was a child of four years.  Here he grew to manhood, was educated and has since resided.  He began his life career as a farmer, in which he has been more than usually successful.  His home farm is one of the best improved farms in Fulton county.  The buildings are new and modern, including a large double-barn, built in 1901, and capable of holding thirty-five head of stock and sixty tons of hay.  It is a handsome structure and modern in all of its appliances.  In addition to the home estate and adjoining it Mr. Smith owns a tract of eighty acres of well improved and valuable land.  In political views he is a Republican, but in religious matters he is not identified with any religious body.  The maiden name of the lady whom he married, on July 24, 1881, was Miss Evlyn Kyper, a daughter of Cyrus and Cynthia M. (Spaulding) Kyper, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Fulton county.  Cyrus Kyper removed to Ohio and located in Fulton county in pioneer days.  Here, in sight of his daughter's present home, he owned a large tract of land and was quite prosperous in agricultural pursuits.  He died at the age of forty-two years, and is survived by his widow who still resides on the old homestead.  The family comprises a son and a daughter, the former, William by name, being a teacher at Angola, Ind.  To Hiram B. Smith and wife four children have been born.  They are:  Clarence C. principal of the Lyons, O., public schools, who was educated at Delta high-school, Oberlin college and the Angola, Ind., Normal,  and married Miss Chloe Putnam of Fulton township; Hazel Grace,  a young lady at home; Eva Maude, a student of the public schools, and Fred Dana, an infant six months old, the pet of the family.  The grand-parents of Mrs. Smith were natives of Maine.  Mr. Smith is a genial, companionable gentleman, whose hospitality is unbounded, in which he is joined by his amiable wife.  Their beautiful modern home is the central attraction in the community, where it far excels all rivals and evinces the public spirit and progressiveness of the owners.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 569
  WALTER SMITH - The fair land of hills and heather claims this venerable and honored citizen as a native son, and he is a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of Fulton county and is to-day numbered among the prominent farmers and influential citizens of Royalton township.  He was born in Roxburghshire, Scotland, on the 26th of May, 1826, and is a son of John and Margaret (Scott) Smith, who immigrated to America in 1842 and who took up their residences in what is now Royalton township, Fulton county, Ohio, in the same year.  The old homestead farm is now owned by Adner Frantz and wife.  John Smith cleared a portion of his farm and became one of the influential and popular citizens of the county.  He died in 1859 at the age of forty-eight years, and his wife passed away some years later.  They became the parents of seven children, all of whom accompanied them to America: Betsey became the wife of James Cuthbert, Jane married Alvin Hamlin, James was the next in order of birth, Margaret became the wife of A. M. Williams, and the other children were Catherine, Walter and William S.  The subject of this review is now the only survivor.  Mr. Smith secured his educational training principally in his native land, and was about sixteen years of age at the time when he came with his parents to Fulton township, and during the long intervening years he has continued to be a resident public-spirit and as a man of the highest integrity in all the relations of life.  He grew to manhood on the home farm and during his entire independent career has continued to be associated with the agricultural interests of the county in whose development and progress he has materially assisted.  In 1855 Mr. Smith located on his present farm, which has thus been his home for a half century, and he has developed the same into one of the finest places in this section.  His landed estate comprises two hundred acres - eighty acres in Royalton township, eighty in Chesterfield township, and forty acres in Lenawee county, Michigan, the homestead being all in one body, however, the Michigan portion being in the adjoining township of Seneca.  Mr. Smith reclaimed this entire farm from the wilds, and in view of the conditions which are in evidence to-day, bespeaking all of thrift and prosperity, he has no reason to feel that he has been denied a due reward for his many years of toil and endeavor.  In politics Mr. Smith gives his support to the Democratic party.  May 25, 1856 stands as the date of the marriage of Mr. Smith to Miss Eleanor H. Smith, daughter of Charles D. and Jane B. (Helmes) Smith of Royalton township, and they have four children: Edwin J., Charles E., William M. and Walter Scott, all of whom are well established in life, honorable and useful citizens in their respective fields of endeavor.  Mr. Smith's parents were both natives of Orange county, New York, and were numbered among the pioneers of Fulton county, Ohio, having taken up their residence in Royalton township about 1835.  The father secured one hundred and twenty acres of government land, reclaiming the same to cultivation, and there he and his wife continued to reside until their death.  Of their eight children six attained maturity namely: Eleanor H., wife of the subject of this sketch; Martin; Louisa, wife of John Atkinson, of Delta, Ohio; Lotan, a resident of Royalton township; Margaret, wife of Dr. Selah W. Moulton; and Charles B., a resident of Royalton township.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 570
  CHARLES E. STRONG, one of the prominent farmers and honored citizens of Pike township, is a member of one of the sterling pioneer families of the Buckeye State and is a representative of stanch New England stock.  He is of the eighth generation in direct descent from John Strong, who was born in Taunton, England, in 1605.  The worthy ancestor removed to London and later to Plymouth, England, from which latter place he set sail for America on the 20th of November, 1630, in the ship "Mary and John," commanded by Captain Staub, and the passenger list numbered one hundred and forty persons.  The vessel arrived at Nantasket-Hall, Plymouth colony, Massachusetts, on Sunday, May 30, 1630, and there, in the following December, John Strong was united in marriage to Miss Abigail Ford.  He died Apr. 14, 1699, leaving eighteen children, fifteen of whom had children at the time of his death:  there were one hundred and fourteen grandchildren and thirty-three great-grandchildren.  The direct line of descent is traced to the subject of this sketch through Jedediah Strong, son of John, the founder of the family in America.  Jedediah Strong was born May 7, 1637, and on the 18th of November, 1662, he was united in marriage to Freedom Woodward, who died in May, 1681.  On the 19th of the following December he married Abigail Stebbins, who died July 16, 1689.  In January, 1691, he married Mary Hart Lee, who died Oct. 10, 1710.  Jedediah Strong lived with his first wife for a period of nineteen years, with his second wife seven years, and with his third nine years, and notwithstanding his three marriages he lived thirty-three years as a widower and sixty-one years unmarried.  During the years 1677-8-9 he was paid eighteen shillings a year for blowing the trumpet to summon the people to church on Sunday.  He died May 22, 1733, leaving fourteen children.  His son, Jedediah Strong, Jr., was born, Aug. 7, 1667, and on the 8th of November, 1688, was united in marriage to Miss Abby Ingersoll who was born August 24, 1663.  He was a farmer in Northampton, Massachusetts, until 1696, when he removed to Lebanon, Connecticut, where there were but four white families settled at the time.  He was killed by Indians, at Wood Creek, New York, Oct. 12, 1709, leaving eight children.  His son Ezra, the next in line of direct descent, was born Nov. 2, 1702, and on the 12th of January, 1730, was married to Miss Abigail Caverly, who was born in 1715.  Ezra Strong was a farmer at  Lebanon, Connecticut, where he died Mar. 7, 1785, his wife passing away in 1788; they became the parents of twelve children.  Philip Strong, son of Ezra and Abigail (Caverly) Strong, was born, Feb. 9, 1735, and in 1757 or 1758 he married Rhoda Payne, who was born in1739, and he died Sept. 13, 1789, having been a farmer and drover by vocation and having been one of the first settlers at Warren, Litchfield county, Connecticut.  His wife died Nov. 10, 1825.  It is a matter of record that in her younger days she was a woman of prodigious strength, and that she raised a large tub of clear water to her mouth and drank to the health of her betrothed, asking him to return the compliment; she became the mother of fifteen children.  The next in line of descent to the subject of this review was Stephen Strong, who was born at Warren, Connecticut, Jan. 28, 1770.  Feb. 3, 1792, he married Lydia Hine, who was born Jan. 3, 1775, a daughter of Daniel and Lydia (Beecham) Hine, of New Milford, Connecticut.  He died Dec. 8, 1852, his children having been eight in number, his son, Stephen Hine Strong,  was born Aug. 8, 1804, and was married, on the 14th of January, 1830, to Therza J. Everett, who was born in Warren, Connecticut, Feb. 25, 1807.  She died Jan. 6, 1878, and his death occurred in 1898.  They became the parents of ten children, whose names, with respective dates of birth, are here entered:  Francis Marion, Nov. 5, 1830; Flora J., Jul. 7, 1832; Abbie M., May 10, 1834; Charles E., subject of this review, Oct. 24, 1835; Edwin H., Aug. 3, 1837; Mary A., Mar. 20, 1839; Elijah M. Jan. 3, 1841; William H., Oct. 17, 1842; Stephen A., Jan. 19, 1845; and Frederick, Jan. 24, 1848, his death occurring on the 21st of the following April.  Charles E., Edwin H., Elijah M. and Stephen A. were all in active service as Union soldiers in the Civil war.  Charles E. enlisted in Company E, First Ohio Light Artillery, and remained in service until the close of the war, having taken part in the battles of Stone River and Nashville and in more than forty skirmishes.  He received his honorable discharge on the 9th of July, 1865.  Charles E. Strong was born in Warren township, Litchfield county, Connecticut on the 24th of Oct. 1835, and two years later, in 1837, his parents immigrated to Ohio, settling in Medina county and passing the remainder of their lives in this State.  Charles  was reared to the strenuous discipline of the pioneer farm, and has ever followed agriculture as his life vocation.  He continued resident  of Medina county until 1874, when he came to Fulton county and located on the farm which is now his home.  He has made excellent improvements on the place and it is now one of the attractive and valuable rural farms of the county, comprising eighty acres of land, all available for cultivation.  Mr. Strong is a stanch Democrat in his political adherency, and is affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic and the Grange.  On the 19th of September, 1865, Mr. Strong was united in marriage to Miss Helen M. Graham, who was born in Medina county, Ohio on the 3d of September, 1846, being a daughter of Alanson and Jane (Stephenson) Graham, of English and Irish descent, respectively.  Mrs. Strong was summoned to the life eternal on the 18th of January, 1896, and is survived by two of her three children.  Effie L., who was born Feb. 5, 1867, was married, on the 16th of December, 1885 to John A. Gay, and she died Dec. 21, 1891.  Edwin G., born Sept. 22, 1869, is now a resident of North Dakota. Orlo F., the youngest of the children, new has charge of the operation of the homestead farm.  He was born on this farm, on the 18th of May, 1875, was educated in the public schools, has continuously been associated with his father in farming operations, and he now devotes considerable attention also to the dairying business.  On the 4th of February, 1899, Orlo F. Strong was united in marriage to Miss Edna C. Allen, who was born in Fulton county, on the 11th of September, 1879, being a daughter of Charles E. and Sarah J. (Smout) Allen, both of whom were likewise born in this county, the former on the 22d of October, 1850, and the latter on the 9th of May, 1854: They still reside in Royalton township, where Mr. Allen is a prominent farmer.  Mr. and Mrs. Orlo F. Strong became the parents of two children, of whom the elder is deceased.  Eva Helen, born Feb. 25, 1901, died on the 17th of March, 1902.  Charles A. was born Aug. 22, 1902.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 587
  ELIJAH M. STRONG - In connection with the preceding sketch, dedicated to Charles E. Strong, brother of Elijah M., is given a specially complete genealogical record, and by reason of this fact it is not necessary to re-enter the family in the present article, since ready reference may be made to the one mentioned.  Elijah M. Strong is one of the representative farmers of Pike township, where he has a well improved estate of 120 acres, devoted to diversified agriculture and stock-growing.  Mr. Strong was born in Medina county, Ohio, on the 3d of Jan. 1841, and is a son of Stephen H. and Thirza J. (Everett) Strong.  He was reared to manhood in his native county, in whose common schools he secured his early educational training.  He was but twenty years of age at the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion, but he forthwith signified his loyalty and patriotism by tendering his services in defense of the union.  In 1861 he enlisted as a member of Company E, First Ohio Light Artillery, with which he served three years, seeing much of the strenuous duty of the soldier and taking part in many skirmishes and a number of important battles.  He received his honorable discharge on the 2d of September, 1864, having made a record which stands to his perpetual honor.  In March, 1866, Mr. Strong came to Fulton county and located on the farm where he now resides.  His farm was in the midst of a tract of virgin forest, three milest square, and his original residence was a board shanty of primitive order.  He has reclaimed his land to cultivation and has made the best of improvements throughout, including the erection of an attractive residence and other good buildings.  As a young man he was engaged in teaching in the district schools at intervals, for a period of ten years.  In politics Mr. Strong is a stanch Republican, in 1890 he served as land-appraiser, and he was incumbent of the office of township trustee several terms.  He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and has been identified with the Grange from the time of its organization.  He is one of the influential, zealous and prominent members of the United Brethren church at Winameg, Ohio, and is particularly active in the work of the church, contributing liberally of his time and means to the support of the organization and its various collateral benevolences.  His wife also is a devoted member of the same religious body.  In 1869 Mr. Strong was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Sindel, who was born in Fulton county, in 1851, being a daughter of John and Harriet Sindel, honored pioneers of the county.  Mr. Strong died in November, 188, and in 1893,  Mr. Strong married Mrs. Mary E. (Cately) Denius, widow of Samuel Dinius.  She was born and reared in Fulton county and is a daughter of Judge S. H. Cately, deceased, of Delta, Ohio.  She had three children by her first marriage, and they were reared and educated by herself and her second husband, and they also reared Miss Estella Converse, a daughter of Mr. Strong's sister.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 589

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FULTON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.