OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Fulton County,  Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The County of Fulton
A History of Fulton County, Ohio

Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association
1905

Transcribed by Sharon Wick

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1905 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  AMOS JOHNSON is the owner of a valuable farm in Franklin township, his place being located one-half mile north of the village of Elmira, which is in the adjoining township of German, in which latter township he was born, on the 22d of August, 1851, being a son of William and Margaret (Krantz) Johnson.  His father was born in England, where he was reared and educated.  He came to America as a young man, in company with his brothers, George and Daniel, and their sister Mary, who was the wife of Benjamin Lee, who likewise came with the family.  Daniel died shortly after they had established a home in the United States, and George die not long survive.  William came to Fulton county and took up a large tract of land in German township, where he also erected and equipped a grist-mill, on the banks of Bean Creek, near the line between German and Franklin townships.  The locality became known as "Johnson's Mills," and this was one of the early mills in this section, proving a boon to the settlers.  William Johnson operated the mill a number of years, and he also built a water power saw-mill and later operated a steam-power mill in the same locality, and he developed much of this land and was a successful farmer, continuing resident of German township until his death.  His wife was born in Pennsylvania and came to Fulton county with her parents when a child.  After the death of her first husband she married Jackson Clingman, and her death occurred two years later, no children having been born of her second marriage, but of the first, six were born:  Eliza died in childhood; Maria is the wife of Isaac Smith and they reside near West Unity; Maria is the wife of Isaac Smith and they reside near West Unity, Williams county; Amos was the next in order of nativity; William, Jr., died in infancy; George is a prosperous farmer of German township; and William (2d) resides in the city of Toledo.  Amos Johnson passed his boyhood days on the home farm which was the place of his birth, and he was given the best educational advantages to be had in the schools of this section of the state, having been a student in the public schools at Waterville, Lucas county, and Stryker, Williams county.  He has made farming his life vocation, having instituted his independent operations in the line when twenty-two years of age, when he located on his present farm, in section 4, Franklin township, where he has ninety-three acres of excellent land, under effective cultivation and improved with good buildings and other accessories.  He gives his attention to diversified farming, also raises excellent grades of live-stock, and he is known as a reliable and loyal citizen.  He was but eleven years of age when he became doubly orphaned, and he has departed on his own resources ever since, having lived in Williams and Lucas counties during his minor years; having worked  early and late, and he did not fail to insist on a due quota of time for study in the schools of the respective localities.  In view of what he has accomplished through personal effort his success is the more pleasing to note.
     He has served as school director several times.  He and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Elmira, of which he is a trustee.  Mar. 13, 1873, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Sheets, who was born and reared in Jefferson township, Williams county, daughter of the late Isaac Sheets, and of this union ten children have been born: Eva is the wife of Parker Greeley, of Franklin township; Charles resides in the city of Toledo; Bertha remains at the parental home; Rollin and Rose are twins, the former being now a resident of California, and the latter is the wife of Joel Zoar, of Fayette; Alva is a farmer of German township; George is associated in the work of the home farm; Augusta is a wife of Arthur Gigax, of Elmira; and Harvey and Early are at the parental home.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 658
  ARBY JOHNSON is a representative of one of the well-known families of Fulton county, where he has lived from the time of his birth, and he is numbered among the prosperous farmers and popular and loyal citizens of Dover township.  He was born in Amboy township, this county, on the 3d of March, 1851, and is a son of Sullivan and Adelia (Worden) Johnson  His father was born in the State of Vermont, where the family was early founded, the date of his birth having been July 1, 1814.  He came to Ohio as a young man, having received a good common-school education, and his marriage was solemnized in Toledo, which was then represented by only three buildings.  He came with his wife to Fulton county in 1838 and became the owner of a farm of one hundred and twenty acres, in Amboy township, having reclaimed the greater portion of the tract from the virgin forest.  He impressed himself deeply upon the civic and public life of the community, ever holding the unqualified confidence and regard of his fellow-citizens, and being called upon to serve in various offices of public trust.  He held, at different intervals, practically all of the township offices, including that of justice of the peace, of which he was incumbent about thirty-six years, and he served as sheriff of the county four years, giving an admirable administration and one that called forth unqualified popular approval and commendation.  For a number of years prior to his death he lived retired, in the village of Metamora, where he died on the 17th of May, 1897, at the venerable age of eighty-three years.  His wife was born in the State of New York, on the 21st of April, 1818, and died, Aug. 7, 1905.  Following is a brief record concerning the eight children in the family: Falena is the wife of Thomas Whitney, of Lorain county, Ohio; Roba is the wife of Myron Richardson, a farmer of Fulton county; Ann is the wife of Joseph Warren, of Tedrow; Alice is the wife of Levi Chamberlin, of Ypsilanti, Mich.; Jennie became the wife of Alphonso Covill and died in Colorado; Hattie is the wife of David S. Brown, of Lyons, Fulton county; George is a successful farmer of Amboy township; and Arby is the immediate subject of this review.  Arby Johnson grew to manhood on the home farm and was accorded the advantages of the common schools, and his vocation throughout his independent career has been that of agriculture and stock-growing.  In 1895 he took up residence on his present well-improved farm, which comprises eighty acres.  He gives a stanch allegiance to the Republican party, and though he has never been ambitious for office, he served four years as deputy-sheriff under the regime of his father and two years under that of Sheriff Alfred F. Shaffer.  He is affiliated with the Tedrow lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and with the Masonic lodge in the village of Lyons.  In 1878 Mr. Johnson was married to Miss Effie A. Sellers, who was born and reared on the farm where she and her husband now reside, the date of her birth being Aug. 16, 1859.  She is a daughter of Elias and Emeretta Sellers, the former of whom was born July 15, 1834, the latter in Summit county, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1836, and she was about twenty years old at the time of coming to Fulton county, where she met and married Elias Sellers, who was one of the honored pioneers of Dover township and who was one of the representative farmers of the county, his death here occurring on the 17th of May 1904.  His wife now resides in Tedrow.  They became the parents of two daughters, of whom Mrs. Johnson is the elder.  May, born Apr. 27, 1866, is the wife of Frank A. Potts, and they reside in Chattanooga, Tenn.  Mr. Sellers served three years as a soldier in the Civil war, having enlisted as a member of Company H, One Hundredth Ohio volunteer infantry, of which he was corporal at the time of receiving his honorable discharge.  Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have seven children, whose names with respective dates of birth are as follows:  Davis B., Dec. 30, 1881; Floy, Dec. 13, 1883; Marvin E., Feb. 1, 1885; Otis, Nov. 15, 1887; Sullivan, Nov. 12, 1891; Ruth, Apr. 19, 1893; and Beulah, Feb. 19, 1904.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 404
  GEORGE DANIS JOHNSON, who is one of the representative farmers and stock-dealers of Amboy township and also the owner of a finely-equipped carriage and wagon emporium in the village of Metamora, was born on the old homestead farm where he now resides, in Section 15, Amboy township, on the 16th of April, 1853, the date bearing its measure of significance in that it indicates that his parents must have been early settlers in this section.  He is a son of Sullivan and Fidelia (Worden) Johnson, natives of the Vermont and New York, respectively, and both represented families long identified with the annals of America.  Sullivan Johnson settled in Amboy township in 1844, this section at that time being a portion of Lucas County, and his original homestead was the one now owned and occupied by the subject of this review.  The original farm comprised eighty acres, the most of which was covered with a heavy growth of native timber, and the father cleared and improved the property, to which he later added an adjoining forty acres, developing one of the best farms in this part of the county.  He continued his residence on the homestead until 1896, when he removed to Metamora, where he lived retired until his death, which occurred on May 18th of the following year, at which time he was in his eighty-third year.  His devoted wife passed away Aug. 7, 1905.  They became the parents of eight children, namely: Philena, wife of Thomas Whitney; Roby, wife of Marvin D. Richardson, Ann, wife of Joseph B. Warren; Jennie, deceased wife of Alfonso A. Covell; Alice, wife of Levi Chamberlin; Hattie, wife of Davis Brown; Arby, a resident of Fulton county; and George D., subject of this sketch.  For more than half a century Sullivan Johnson was prominently identified with the civic and industrial history of Amboy township, and no man in the township was held in higher confidence and regard.  He held practically every office of importance in the gift of the people of the township, including that of justice of the peace, of which he was incumbent many years, making the office justify the name and wisely adjudicating difficulties for his friends and neighbors, who had confidence in his integrity, fairness and discrimination.  He served two terms of two years each as sheriff of Fulton county, and his record in the office is recalled as one of the best made in the annals of the county's history.  He was at first a Whig and later a Republican.  George Danis Johnson was reared to manhood on the home farm, was afforded a good public-school education, and he was signally favored also in having the guidance of a loving and intelligent father and mother.  He early began to assume personal responsibilities in connection with the work of the home farm, and ever since he was fourteen years of age he has been engaged in the buying and selling of live-stock, being one of the best judges of stock in the county and being still one of the extensive buyers and shippers of this section.  For several years also he was identified with the wholesale butchering business in Metamora and Toledo.  In 1904 he engaged in the retail carriage and wagon business in Metamora, as a member of the Johnson & Scheuer, and in March, 1905, he became the sole owner of the business.  He purchased the old homestead of his father in the year 1896, and has made the place his home from the time of his birth.  In politics Mr. Johnson is a loyal and uncompromising advocate of the principles and policies of the Republican party, and he served two terms as trustee of Amboy township.  He is affiliated with Royalton Union Lodge, No. 434, Free and Accepted Masons; Lyons Chapter, No. 75, Royal Arch Masons; and Toledo Commandery, No. 7, Knights Templar, taking deep interest in and showing marked appreciation of  the time-honored Masonic fraternity.  Mr. Johnson has been twice married.  Nov. 2, 1879, he wedded Miss Margaret Biehl, daughter of Conrad and Catherine Biehl of Amboy township, the parents having been born in Germany and having come to Fulton county in an early day.  Mrs. Johnson was summoned into eternal rest on he 31st of July, 1901, having borne six children, of whom one survives, Carma, who still remains at her parental home.  Feb. 12, 1903, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage to Miss Cora Jones, daughter of John and Arabella Jones, of Hillsdale county, Mich, where she was born and reared.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 406
  JOHN HOWARD JOHNSON, a prominent and highly-successful physician and surgeon of Wauseon, was born in Springfield, O.  He is the son of W. S. Johnson, who makes his home with him.  The subject of this sketch received his literary education in the Cleveland, O., schools where he made and enviable record as a brilliant student.  He was one of a class of ninety-one to graduate from the medical department of the University of Cleveland in 1897.  For one year he practiced his profession in the city of Cleveland, when he removed to Wauseon, where he has built up a large and lucrative, his practice calling him to all parts of Fulton county.  Doctor Johnson has always taken an active interest in public affairs.  At present he is serving as president of the board of education, having been elected first to the board in 1900.  The same year he was appointed to the office of coroner of Fulton county,  to which office he was elected in 1901 and re-elected in 1904.  In politics he is identified with the Republican party and is now serving as a member of the county executive committee.  In 1901 he was appointed surgeon for the Montpelier division of the Wabash railway, a position which he still holds.  In fraternal matters he is identified with the Masonic fraternity.  His repeated election to office and his appointment to such an important office as that of division surgeon of a great railway system speaks volumes for the push and energy of the subject of this sketch.  He holds these important positions because he merits them, and not because of the influence of prominent and influential friends.  By his rapid advancement he has shown clearly what a young man can accomplish if he will but apply himself and strive with all his might to succeed in anything he may undertake.  He married Miss Christine Bollmeyer, the daughter of John C. Bollmeyer, deceased, who at the time of his death was editor of the Democratic Expositor.  During the second administration of Grover Cleveland, Mr. Bollmeyer was postmaster of Wauseon.  He was prominent for many years, not only in Wauseon but also in Fulton county.  The subject of this sketch and wife have two children, John Gordon Johnson and Howard B. Johnson by name.  Surely Dr. Johnson deserves to be proud of the record he has made, and it is to be hoped that his rise in the profession will continue until his death.
Source 4: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 407
  S. M. JONES, local representative of the general produce firm of The Smith & Jones Company of Cleveland, O., at Wauseon, was born in Cleveland.  He was educated in the public schools of that city and afterwards thoroughly trained for the business he is now engaged in.  The firm which Mr. Jones represents established a branch office at Wauseon on July 21, 1904, locating opposite to the depot of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railway, a very desirable place for that line of business.  In the brief period of six months the Wauseon branch did a business of fifty thousands dollars.  The subject of this sketch, a brother of one of the members of the firm, has removed to Wauseon with his wife and intends to make it his permanent home.  His ability as a business man is recognized by the members of the firm for which he operates, and so thoroughly does he enjoy their confidence that he is given full control of the Wauseon branch.  His judgment is accurate and he makes no mistakes in his dealings with his customers, all of whom respect him both as a man and a business man.  To stand so high in the estimation both of his employers and his customers means much to him and he has just cause to be proud of the enviable record he has made.  Certainly no mistake has been made in the matter of entrusting the business of this branch entirely to him.  The main office of the firm of The Smith & Jones Company is at No. 100 Broadway, Cleveland, O.  The commercial rating of this firm is highly satisfactory, showing that it has met with success in its operations.  It deals in everything that the farmer has to sell, paying the highest market prices.  Mr. Smith, the senior member of the firm, is recognized as one of the oldest and best known produce merchants in fifty years.  Mr. Jones, the subject of this sketch, has had a large experience in the business of buying and selling produce, and prior to coming to Wauseon was for many years connected with the main office.  During the coming year he hopes to do a business of two hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars for his firm, and nothing short of that amount will satisfy him.  All produce is shipped directly to New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Newark and Cleveland.  The farmers of Fulton county now have an opportunity to dispose of their produce at the highest market price in cash, and they, no doubt, cordially welcome the establishment of a branch of the firm at Wauseon.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 408

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FULTON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.