OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Fulton County,  Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The County of Fulton
A History of Fulton County, Ohio

Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association
1905

Transcribed by Sharon Wick

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1905 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  JOHN GEE, one of the venerable pioneer citizens of York township, was born in Ulster county, New York, on the 27th of May, 1822, and when he was about twelve years of age his parents removed from the old Empire State of Ohio, settling in Seneca county, where he was reared to manhood on a farm.  There he continued to make his home, engaged in agricultural pursuits, until 1865, when he came to Fulton county and settled in York township, where he has ever since resided, save for a period of about four years, which he passed in Clinton township.  He improved a valuable farm, which he still owns, and he is a man who has ever commanded the unqualified confidence and regard of the community in which he has so long made his home.  On the 25th of March, 1849, Mr. Gee was united in marriage to Miss Catherine Grove, who was born in Frederick county, Maryland, on the 23d of December, 1830, and who remained his devoted companion during more than half a century, her death occurring on the 17th of July, 1901.  They became the parents of two sons, William H. of whom individual mention is made upon a succeedant page of this work, and John C., who resides in Eaton county, Michigan.  Mr. Gee is a Republican in his political views and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as was also his wife.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 359
  CHARLES LAMAR GINGERY, of Swan Creek Twp., as one of those progressive farmers & stock-growers who are upholding the High Prestige of the industry of agriculture in Fulton County, and he is known as a citizen of sterling worth and utmost loyalty.  He was born in Wood County, Ohio, on the 5th of December, 1868 and is a son of Emanuel and Margaret Ann (Dewitt) Gingery, the former of whom was born in Seneca county and the latter in Huron county, this state in 1879.  They came to Wood county to the present homestead of their son, Charles L., the place at the time being entirely unimproved and a large portion of the tract was covered with water, being of a swampy character.  The family lived on this place only one year and the father then purchased 120 acres of more elevated land, 1/2 mile East, where he maintained his home nearly 20 years and where his 1st wife died, in middle life.  He later consummated a 2nd marriage and finally returned to Wood county, where his death occurred on the 28th of April, 1905.   of the six children of the first marriage five are living.  Clinton DeWitt resides on a farm adjoining that of Charles L.; Louisa died at the age of twelve years; John A. resides with Clinton, both being bachelors; Hattie L. is the wife of Patrick Foley, a farmer of Swan Creek township; Charles L. was the next in order of birth; and Arthur W. is also a prosperous farmer of the same township.  Charles L. Gingery secured his early educational training in the public schools of Wood and Fulton counties, and his entire life has been identified with agricultural pursuits and stock-raising.  In 1891 he purchased his present homestead of eighty acres, the place being now well improved, nearly the entire tract having been reclaimed and made available for cultivation, thus presenting a radically different appearance then it did when his father first took up his residence on the property.  He has been associated with his father and brothers in the reclaiming and improving of more than three hundred acres of land in this county, principally swamp and brush land.  They also have done many miles of ditching on their own lands and for others, and have assisted in the construction of most of the roads in this part of the county, whose development and civic advancement they have materially contributed.  About a score of years ago the three brothers became associated in raising of high-grade live-stock, including horses, cattle and swine operating in conjunction for seventeen years, since which time Charles L. has continued in the same line of enterprise in an independent way.  He owns thoroughbred Belgian horses, polled shorthorn cattle and Poland-China hogs, and the fine stock of the Gingery Brothers has taken many premiums at the county fair within the last several years.  Charles L. is an active, energetic and able business man, his success in his chosen field of endeavor has been excellent and commands the high regard of the people of the community in which he has lived from his childhood days.  He has been an active worker in the local ranks of the Republican party ever since attaining his legal majority and is a member of the county central committee of the same at the present time.  He has served as ditch supervisor and constable of Swan Creek township and is now a valued member of the school board.  It may be noted that his father also was a stalwart supporter of the Republican party and its principles, having espoused its cause at the time of organization, when it stood as the exponent of the principle that the Union must be preserved, and he was one of the Ohio men who served with utmost loyalty as a soldier in the Civil war, it being altogether probable that his death was hastened by wounds which he received in service.   In 1891 Charles L. Gingery was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Soles, whose death occurred only three months later.  In March, 1893, he wedded Miss Addie Sanders, who was born and reared in Swan Creek township, being a daughter of the late John Sanders, an honored pioneer of the county.  Mr. and Mrs. Gingery have been children: Don, Dora J. and Herman A.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 655
Contributed By: Bob Weaver
  SYLVESTER GREEN, a prominent farmer and popular citizen of Royalton township, was born in Fairfield township, Lenawee county, Mich., on the 28th of June, 1843, and is a son of James and Eliza (McConnell) Green, both of whom were born near the city of Belfast, Ireland, where they were reared and where their marriage was solemnized in the year 1830.  In the same year they left the Emerald Isle and set bravely forth to establish for themselves a home in America.  They remained several years in the State of New York, and then came to Toledo, Ohio, where the father secured employment in connection with the construction of the Maumee canal.  He was thus engaged about one year and then settled in Fairfield township, Lenawee county, Mich., where, in 1840, he purchased forty acres of land, retaining possession of the same about two years, in the same township.  This latter farm he reclaimed and improved and there were both he and his wife continued to reside until his death, which occurred in Sept. 1888, at which time he was seventy-nine years of age.  His widow still survives and has reached (1905) the venerable age of ninety-one years.  They became the parents of ten children, of whom six attained years of maturity - Eliza, James Henry, Sylvester, William, Rachel and George.  Eliza, who is deceased, was the wife of Edwin Smith, and Rachel is the wife of Richard N. MillerSylvester Green had an adequate experience in strenuous work during his boyhood and youth, since he aided in the reclaiming and cultivation of the pioneer homestead, in Fairfield township, Lenawee county, Mich., and his educational training was limited to the somewhat primitive schools of the locality and period.  He continued to remain at the parental home until his marriage, in 1869, when he purchased a farm of eighty acres in his native township, where he continued to reside until 1875, when he purchased forty acres there and then came to Royalton township, Fulton county, where he purchased forty acres, in Section 9, later adding forty acres of adjacent land, clearing a considerable portion of the place from the wild condition, and he has continued to add to his landed estate from time to time until he now owns three hundred and six acres, lying in Royalton township and across the Michigan line in his native township of Fairfield.  It includes also the little homestead of twenty-six and one-half acres where he now resides, a portion of the same being within the corporate limits of the village of Lyons, where he has an attractive home and where he has maintained his residence since the autumn of 1902, being practically retired, though still having a general supervision of his extensive farming interests.  He is a stalwart Republican and has been incumbent of minor offices in his township, including that of land-appraiser.  He is affiliated with Lyons Lodge No. 622, I. O. O. F., and with the adjunct organization, the Daughters of Rebekah, of which latter Mrs. Green also is a member.  He and his wife are prominent members of the Lyons Christian church, in which he is a deacon.  Mr. Green has been three times married.  Aug. 9, 1869, he wedded Miss Lavina Catlin, daughter of Burge Catlin, of Norwalk, Ohio, and she died in 1878, leaving two children - "Almon B., who married Miss Fannie Oaks; and Mary L., who is the wife of Arthur Wood.  For his second wife Mr. Green married Miss Eliza Catlin, sister of his first wife, and she died in 1887, leaving no children.  He later married his present wife, whose maiden name was Celia Catlin and who is likewise a sister of the two former wives of Mr. Green.  No children have been born of this union.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 389
  CONLEY E. GUILFORD is incumbent of the office of treasurer of Fulton county and is a popular and well-known citizen, so that it is incumbent that he be accorded representation in this work.  He was born in the town of Cuba, N. Y., on the 24th of July, 1851, and is a son of Robert G. Guilford, who came to Fulton county in 1858 and located on a farm in Dover township.  In 1863 the father tendered his services in defense of the Union, enlisting in the One Hundred and Twenty-fifty Ohio volunteer infantry, and he sacrificed his life on the altar of his country, his death occurring in 1863.  He was a son of Samuel Guilford, a native of Massachusetts and of old Puritan stock.  The latter removed from Wakefield, Mass, to the State of New York, where he passed the remainder of his life, having rendered valiant service as a soldier in the War of 1812.  The maiden name of the mother of the present treasurer of Fulton county was Phoebe Post, and she was born in Cazenovia, N. Y.  By reason of the loss of her husband a heavy burden of responsibility was thrown upon her shoulders, in the management of the estate and in caring for her children, and it is fitting that in this connection a statement of tribute be paid her memory for the noble and unselfish way in which she performed the duties which thus made so great exactions upon her mind, heart and strength.  She died on the old homestead farm, in Dover township in the year 1869.  Conley E. Guilford is indebted to the public schools of Fulton county for his early educational privileges, having been about seven years of age at the time of his parents' removed to this State, and in order to aid and relieve his widowed mother he early began the battles of life on his own responsibility.  Having been reared on a farm, he naturally initiated his independent career as a worker along the lines to which he had been trained, but he was early called upon to serve in positions of public trust and responsibility.  He was incumbent of the office of clerk of Clinton township about twelve years, and for two years was a valued member of the Wauseon school-board.  In 1872 he engaged in the drug business in Wauseon, continuing in this line of enterprise until 1896 and being numbered among the representative businessmen of the county capital.  In 1881 he was commissioned postmaster, by President Garfield, continuing in charge of the Wauseon office until the accession of Grover Cleveland to the presidential chair.  In 1901 Mr. Guilford became the candidate of the Republican party for the office of treasurer of Fulton county, was elected by a gratifying majority, and the popular estimate placed upon his administration was best indicated by his re-election in 1903.  The routine of the office work was very summarily interrupted in January, 1905, by the daring robbery of the safe in the treasurer's office, and naturally, Mr. Guilford feels greatly disconcerted and aggrieved over the affair, though by no means could have had anticipated or forefended the crime, which entailed a very considerable loss to him personally.  Thus far all efforts to apprehend the guilty persons have proven futile.  No iota of blame attaches to any of the county officials, since every reasonable provision and effort were made to safeguard the county funds.  It is evident that the robbery was committed by experts, the vault and safe having been reduced to a chaotic mass of wreckage by means of nitroglycerine and other powerful explosives.  The county's loss was made good by the insurance company which had indemnified the safe and its contents.  Mr. Guilford has for many years taken a prominent part in the political affairs of the county, and is a leader in the local councils of the Republican party.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and deeply appreciative of the noble and time-honored organization.  In 1881 Mr. Guilford was united in marriage to Miss Florence McConnell, daughter of A. W. McConnell, who removed to Fulton county for Medina county, in 1870, and who now resides in Wauseon.  He served six yeas as auditor of the county and is a well-known and honored citizen.  Mr. and Mrs. Guilford have two sons, Frank R., who is a student in the Ohio State University, in Columbus, and Clarence A., who is attending the Wauseon public schools.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 393

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FULTON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.