OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Fulton County,  Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The County of Fulton
A History of Fulton County, Ohio

Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association
1905

Transcribed by Sharon Wick

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1905 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  GEORGE O. MEEKER, one of the representative farmers of York township, was born in East Cleveland, Cuyahoga county Ohio, on the 18th of October, 1840, and is a son of John O. and Mary (Henderschott) Meeker, the former of whom was born Aug. 20, 1816, in the State of New Jersey, and the latter was born on the 6th of December, 1819, their marriage having been solemnized in East Cleveland, Ohio, Sept. 5, 1834.  The father was an excellent mechanic and was employed as such for a considerable time, but the major portion of his active career was devoted to farming in which he met with a due measure of success.  In 1868 he came with his family to Fulton county and located on a farm in Royalton township, where his death occurred in April, 1888.  His devoted wife survived him by a number of years, continuing her residence on the homestead farm until her demise, which occurred in February, 1905, a zealous member of the Disciple church.  They because the parents of four sons - George Oliver, Walter Smith, Clarence Henry, and Frank E.  Walter and Clarence were soldiers in Ohio regiments during the Civil war, and the latter died as the result of disabilities incurred while the service, his death occurring Dec. 28, 1863, at which time he was aged twenty years, six months and twenty-eight days.  Walter and Frank are prosperous farmers and popular citizens of Royalton township.  George O. Meeker was reared to maturity in his native county, receiving a good common-school education, and he accompanied his parents on their removal to Fulton county, in 1868.  Here he assisted for some time in the operation of the homestead farm of his father, after which he engaged in the same line of enterprise on his own responsibility, eventually becoming the owner of a farm in Royalton township, where he continued to reside until 1884, when he sold the property and purchased his present fine homestead, in Section 9, York township, the same comprising seventy acres and being equipped with excellent improvements.  Mr. Meeker has never been an aspirant for public office but has always taken a loyal interest in public affairs, and has exercised his franchise in support of the principles and policies of the Republican party.  He served for a time as school director.  He and his wife are members of the United Brethren church and are active in its work.  On the 1st of November, 1864, in Morenci, Mich., was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Meeker to Miss Hattie McQuillin, daughter of David and Lydia McQuillin, early settlers of this county.  Mrs. Meeker's father and mother became the parents of five sons and six  daughters.  One son, James A., was first lieutenant in Company I, Thirty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, in the early part of the Civil war, being later promoted to captain of his company and dying from the effects of a wound received in the battle of Missionary Ridge.  His body was brought to the old home, in Fulton county, and was interred in the in the Salisbury cemetery, where his former comrades erected a handsome monument to his memory.  John and Thomas McQuillin also were soldiers in the Civil war.  Edward, Thomas and William are deceased, and of the sisters of Mrs. Meeker the following is a brief record: Eliza is the wife of John Hefflebower, of Michigan; Nancy is the wife of Jeremiah Miller, of Delta, this county; Delilah is the wife of Levi Alwood, of Tennessee; Rachel is the wife of William Daily, of York township.  Mrs. Meeker is the youngest of the children.  Mr. and Mrs. Meeker have one child, Abbie Mary, who is now the wife of John F. Hettinger, county surveyor of Fulton county.  They reside in the city of Wauseon and their only child is Hattie Louisa, named in honor of her two grandmothers.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 443
  FRANK C. MERRILL at present township trustee of Fulton township, and one of the extensive farmers and popular citizens of this section, was born in the township where he now resides, on the 7th of August, 1859, being a son of Osias and Jane (Vaughan) Merrill, the former a native of the State of Maine and the latter of Holmes county, Ohio.  They were children at the time when the respective county, Ohio.  They were children at the time when the respective families came to Fulton county and settled in the same neighborhood in Fulton township, about 1838.  Osias and Jane (Vaughan) Merrill were reared and educated in this county, the latter dying on the homestead farm in Fulton township.  Her husband later consummated a second marriage, and he was a resident of Swan Creek township at the time of his death.  Of the four children of the first marriage Frank C. was the third in order of birth.  Horace A. is a successful lawyer in the city of Toledo; James Eugene is the present auditor of Fulton county; and Minnie is the wife of William Biddle, residing on the old Merrill homestead, which was also the Vaughan homestead.  Frank C. Merrill passed his boyhood days on the home farm, and after duly taking advantage of the local school privileges he continued his studies in the graded schools at Wauseon.  After leaving school he resumed his connection with the agricultural industry, with which he has ever since been prominently identified, saved for a period of three years, during which he conducted a general store in the village of Ai.  He inherited one hundred and thirteen acres, to which he later added by the purchase of a contiguous tract of fifty-six acres, his farm being one of the best-improved and best managed in the township of Fulton.  Mr. Merrill has always affiliated with the Republican party, and has been a zealous worker in its ranks, usually attending the county conventions and at all times showing a public-spirited concern in local affairs.  He has previously been called upon to serve as township trustee, to which office he was again elected in 1904.  His honored father was likewise prominent and influential in local matters, and for a period of six years, from 1865, he held the office of county auditor, and he was also a member of the State constitutional convention of 1873, a stanch supporter of the Union during the Civil war and he was an ardent Republican from the time of the organization of the party until the time of his death.  His remains were laid to rest beside those of his first wife, in the cemetery at Ai.  Frank C. Merrill is a member of Swanton Lodge, No. 555, Free and Accepted Masons, and with Berry Grange, No. 1111, at Ai.  In 1882 Mr. Merrill was united in marriage to Miss Etta Nobbs, a daughter of James H. and Anna (Fetterman) Nobbs, representatives of prominent pioneer families of Fulton county, where Mrs. Merrill was born and reared.  Her paternal lineage is of English and her maternal of German extraction.  Mr. and Mrs. Merrill have seven children: Herma, Clayton, Florence, Roy, Lucy, Koryl, and Mildred.  Herma is now the wife of William Walters, and they reside on a farm adjoining that of her father.  Mr. Walters is a son of Orlando Walters, mentioned elsewhere in this publication.
Source: The County of Fulton - A History of Fulton County, Ohio - Publ.: Madison, Wis. Northwestern Historical Association - 1905 - Page 447

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FULTON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights

.