OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
Historical Atlas
Paulding County, Ohio

ILLUSTRATED
Containing Maps of Paulding County, Townships, Towns and Villages,
Compiled by O. Morrow and F. W. Bashore
ALSO
Maps of the United States and State of Ohio.
Together with a Statement of the Settlement, Growth and Prosperity of the County,
Including a Personal and Family History of Many of its Prominent Citizens.
Illustrated
Madison, Wis.:
The Western Publishing Co.
1892

  Emerald Twp. -
CASIBIANCA LAYMAN. - This estimable gentleman was born in Union county, Ohio, on the 25th of October, 1849.  He is a successful farmer and stock-raiser, and is a younger brother of Henry Layman, who is elsewhere mentioned.  Starting life at the age of eighteen years he has been successful, and now owns over fifty-five acres of good land, which he and his wife care for.  He located in Emerald township in 1885 on the farm where he now lives, and has cleared twenty-three acres.  Mr. Layman selected as his life companion Miss Mary E., the daughter of John H. and Sarah L., David J. and Harry E.  Mr. Layman is a member of the Christian church, and in politics is a republican.  He is one of the leading citizens of his township.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 59
  Emerald Twp. -
REV. HENRY LAYMAN is one of the nine children who were born to Jacob and Elizabeth (Crotinger) Layman, natives of Pennsylvania.  The father, whose birth occurred in1808, died in the spring of 1861, and is wife, who was born in 1813, remained in Union county, Ohio, supported by her children, who were named John, Lavina, wife of John Romine; Susanna, wife of Jacob Freshwater; David, Henry, our subject; Lucinda wife of Martin Webb; Isaac C. B. and George.  Rev. Henry Layman is a native of Union county, and first saw the light on Dec. 17, 1842.  At the age of twenty-six he began farming for himself, though he had formerly followed the cooper trade.  In the fall of 1869 he removed to Jay county, Ind., and followed farming for seven years, when he came to this county and has since improved his farm and built a beautiful home.  He is the possessor of 236 acres of well improved land.  Mr. Layman,  who began preaching in 1890, has charge of the Fairview and Flat Rock churches, and has been township trustee for three terms.  He was also a member of the township board.  May 2, 1864, he entered company A, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, and was mustered out of the service Aug. 24, 1864, at Camp Chase, Columbus, Jan. 7, 1869, Mr. Layman led to the alter Miss Abigail Ann Elizabeth, the daughter of Levi and Elizabeth (Michaels) Jenkins, natives of Maryland, of German extraction.  Their children are Flora M., Alice E., John W., Sarah A., Charles E., Emanuel C., Amy D. and Harvey E.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 60
  Washington Twp. -
DANIEL LEATHERMAN (deceased) was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, May 4, 1823, the son of Daniel and Sophia (Swelly) Leatherman, of German extraction.  He received his schooling in his native county, and there grew to manhood.  During the late war he was a member of company H, Ohio volunteer infantry, and served for a short time.  Mr. Leatherman was married Sept. 26, 1847, to Miss Mary A. Alstetter, who was born in Hamburg, Germany, April 7, 1827, the daughter of Peter and Catherine (Gable) Alstetter.  These parents came to America in 1829, and located in Smithsburg, Md., later removing to Allen county, Ohio, where they led the lives of farmers and where their deaths occurred.  The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Leatherman were named: Matilda, wife of George Butler; John, Jacob, Elizabeth, wife of Martin Wise; Joseph (deceased), Samuel (deceased), Nettie, wife of Noah Myers; Peter, Charles (deceased), Philip, Annie and William.  The death of Mr. Leatherman occurred on the 29th day of June, 1881, and in his death the community lost one of its most honored residents.  During his life he had been a valued member of the United Brethren church, to which his widow and surviving children belong.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 81
  Washington Twp. -
PETER LEATHERMAN, born in Allen county, June 10, 1864, is the son of Daniel and Mary (Alstetter) Leatherman, of German origin.  He reared and educated in his native county, and there married, on the 8th of September, 1887, Miss Marinda Taylor, the daughter of Jacob and Martha (McIntyre) Taylor.  The union of our subject and his wife has resulted in the birth of three children, whose christian names are Addie, Edward and Florence.  Mr. Leatherman owns a fine farm of eighty acres, on which he resides, where he enjoys the fruits of his own labor, and is an ardent supporter of the democratic party and one of the enterprising young men of Washington township, and respected by all who know him.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 81
  Blue Creek Twp. -
JOSHUA LEE was born in Harlan county, Ky., and is a brother of Elihu Lee.  He came to Paulding county, Ohio, in 1887, and located upon his farm in Blue Creek township, where he has been successfully engaged in farming.  This occupation he chose as his life work, and after obtaining a common education he started out in life with but little.  He was married in Lee county, Va., on the 22nd of July, 1867, to Miss Susan, the daughter of Joseph and Catherine Watkins natives of Kentucky.  Seven children blessed this union, namely:  Joseph B., Stephen L., Miami C., James, John, William and Margaret E.  The family are members of the Untied Brethren church, in which they enjoy good standing.  Mr. Lee is one of the active republicans in this township, and has held the minor township offices.  He is a man universally respected by all with whom he comes in contact, and he has many friends.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Harrison Twp. -
JOHN R. LEETH, a highly respected citizen of Harrison Township, is a native of Pike county, Ohio, and dates his birth from the 11th of February, 1850.  His parents, Perry  and Lydia (Parker) Leeth, were of Irish origin and reared their son to manhood on the farm, giving him a common school education.  In 1881 he removed to this county, where he has since resided, and owns a good farm, which is well cultivated.  The marriage of MR. Leeth with Miss Almira Rose, the daughter of William and Malinda J. Roberts, of German extraction, occurred on the 31st of December, 1876, and unto this union have been born these children:  Algon (deceased), Lydia J., Lenora, Fairy, Andrew M. and Michael M.  Mrs.  Leeth was born in Gallia county, Ohio, June 26, 1858.  Her husband is a democrat, and the family are members of the United Brethren church.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 61
  Blue Creek Twp. -
ALEXANDER LEHMAN is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Cumberland county Apr. 21, 1844.  He grew to manhood in Allen county, Ohio, and there received his educational training.  He was happily married in his native county, on the 7th of September, 1869, to Elizabeth J. Yarletts, a daughter of John Yarletts, and to them have been born:  William Edward on June 4, 1870; John A., Ida M. (deceased), Cora B., Myrtle R., Frank O., Alice M., David E. (deceased), and Alfred C.  Mrs. Lehman was born, in Dauphin county, Penn., on Aug. 3, 1849.  Mr. Lehman located in Paulding county in 18895, and upon his pleasant farm, which is well cultivated, he has many fine horses.  He is a stanch democrat, and with his family belongs to the Lutheran church.  He enlisted in company K, Fifty-fourth regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry, on the 28th of January, 1864, and served until August, 1865.  On account of disabilities received while in the service, he draws a pension.  Mr. Lehman is highly respected in the community in which he lives, and has many friends who wish him well.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Benton Twp. -
JACOB LEHMAN was born in Somerset county, Penn., Oct. 8, 1809, the son of Jacob and Mary (Berutreager) Lehman, of French and German extraction.  At the age of ten years, Jacob was taken by his father to Tuscarawas county, where the latter died in 1825, his wife departing this life ten years later.  Our subject learned the carpenter's trade and carried on this business in connection with mill-wrighting for many years, both in his native and Paulding counties.  Oct. 24, 1851, he settled in Benton township, upon his present farm, which consists of one hundred and twenty acres of land, entered June 6, 1839.  This farm was in the wilderness at the time of Mr. Lehman's purchase, but by hard work he has accomplished the clearing process, and now it is considered one of the finest in the county.  In 1880 he retired from active work, and is spending his declining years in the midst of peace and plenty.  In early life Mr. Lehman was a democrat, but later he voted the republican ticket, and has since been a supporter of that party.  In 1836 he married Susannah Lavengoode, of Pennsylvania, who died Jan. 26, 1856, leaving seven children, as follows:  Mary A., wife of W. T. Cress, of Benton township; Catherine, wife of Ephraim Stabler; Hannah (deceased), who married John Wilderson; Peter, John, Susannah (deceased), who married George Frederickson, and Samantha, who was twice married, first to Julian Vendeeley, and then to John Foreny.  Mr. Lehman's second marriage was to Mrs. Elizabeth M. Wiley, the daughter of O. Woodcock, of Knox county.  He is a member of the German Baptist church, and has been deacon in the organization for years.  He is a representative citizen, the embodiment of those qualities which go to make up honorable manhood, and by his energy, probity, tact and good nature, has become one, of the popular as well as progressive citizens of his township.  Peter Lehman, the eldest son, is a native of Tuscarawas county, born Sept. 16, 1843.  His education was received in the common schools of Benton township, where, with his parents, he located in boyhood.  In 1861 he enlisted in the Sixty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, company C, and re-enlisted Dec. 10, 1863, serving until July 20, 1865.  He served his country faithfully, and participated in the following engagements:  Fort Donelson, Thompson Hill, Champion Hills, Vicksburg, Black River, Kenesaw Plains, Brush Mountain and Atlanta, Ga.  His regiment then followed Hood to Tennessee, and was with Sherman from Atlanta to the sea.  Mr. Lehman was at the siege of Savannah, Ga., and was one of eight in the first boat that crossed Broad river to drive the rebels out of the intrenchment.  At the close of the war he returned to Benton Township, and, locating upon the homestead farm, remained there until he purchased a home in Harrison township.  In 1876 he returned to Benton, and in 1884 bought his present place, which he has improved.  He married Miss Mary E. Stabler, who died, leaving John A., Elizabeth M., Samantha, Samuel and William.  Mr. Lehman has filled the offices of town trustee and supervisor, and in the discharge of his official duties he manifested business qualifications of a high order.  Rev. John Lehman was born Feb. 24, 1845, was reared upon the homestead farm in Benton township, and received his education in the common schools.  In the spring of 1864 he enlisted in company C, Sixty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served loyally until July 10, 1854, participating with his regiment in the engagement around Atlanta, and Sherman's march to the sea.  Returning home after the close of hostilities, he in 1879 located upon his present farm, and is the possessor of one hundred and twenty-seven acres in section 18.  In 1883 Mr. Lehman was appointed by the elders of the German Baptist church to the pastorate of the Flat Rock congregation, and he has since presided in that position.  He has filled the positions of trustee, constable and supervisor, and in his politics he is of the republican belief.  His marriage occurred May 24, 1866, at which time Miss Savannah J., the daughter of William P. Schock, became his wife.  They are the parents of Delbert, William E., Janette E., Jacob E. and Samuel H., and enjoy general popularity in the community in which they reside.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Blue Creek Twp. -
WILLIAM LEHMAN is a native of Cumberland county, Penn., and first saw the light Oct. 1, 1850, the son of David and Margaret (Bookwalter) Lehman, of German extraction.  Mr. Lehman obtained a common education in his boyhood, and grew to years of maturity in Allen county on the homestead farm.  Apr. 17, 1876, his marriage with Miss Lucretia Logan was solemnized, and their children are:  Maud G., Daniel E., Margaret, Rolly E. and Lucretia (deceased).  Mrs. Lehman was born in Allen county, Ohio, Oct. 11, 1858, and she departed this life on the 16th of July, 1885.  Mr. Lehman located in this county in 1882 and is a progressive and energetic citizen.  Politically he is a democrat and a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Paulding Village -
JUDGE LAFAYETTE LEWIS, born June 24, 1846, is a native of eastern Ohio.  His parents were Morgan and Margaret Lewis, honored residents of the county in which they resided.  The subject of this notice was reared on his father's farm and received a good education.  In 1852 he located in Van Wert county, and engaged in farming with good success.  He purchased his present farm in Latty township, Paulding county, Ohio, in the year 1884 and has since resided upon it.  Mr. Lewis was elected in 1890 to the high position of probate judge of Paulding county, which he now occupies.  He is a democrat in political sentiment and has discharged the duties of the minor township offices with satisfaction to all concerned.  Judge Lewis was united in marriage with Miss Lucinda, the daughter of Jacob Dibert in 1874.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which organization he is a licensed exhorter.  In 1864, Judge Lewis enlisted in the Seventy-eighth regiment of Ohio volunteers, and was with Gen. Sherman on his march to the sea.  He served until the close of hostilities.  In all the walks of life, Judge Lewis is highly esteemed, and, with his cultured wife, enjoys high rank in the social scale of Paulding county.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 71
  Crane Twp. -
WILLIAM LEWIS, a native of Warren county, Ohio, and prominent citizen of Paulding county, was born Mar. 18, 1636, the son of John and Sarah (Thatcher) Lewis, of New Jersey.  Their deaths occurred in Warren county.  Receiving a common school education, William Lewis resided with his parents until twenty-six years of age, when he was united in marriage with Miss Hannah J., the daughter of James and Caroline (Stokes) Graham, of New Jersey, of Irish-American extraction.  Mrs. Lewis was born in Warren county, Ohio, in 1843, and by her marriage with William Lewis, became the mother of eight children, whose names are as follows: Elva, the wife of John Cole; Caroline, wife of C. Drake; Anna, wife of Edgar Fry; David T., James, John, Mary and Jennie. She was a member of the Christian church, near Greenville, and died in1879.  Mr. Lewis again married on June 15, 1881, when Zora Stevens, the daughter of John and Rebecca (Woods) Woods became his wife.  Three children were the result of this marriage: Albert and Elbert (twins) and Harrison.  The family are members of the Christian church and enjoy social popularity.  Mr. Lewis, who is a republican, is the possessor of forty acres of land, of which twenty-five are cleared.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 56
  Paulding Twp. -
WREXHAM LEWIS - One of the venerable citizens of Paulding county, Ohio, is Wrexham Lewis, who is now enjoying the fruits of a well-spent life in retirement.  He was born June 27, 1812, while his father, Peter Lewis, was in the commissary department in the war of 1812.  His grandfather, Noble Lewis, served seven years under Washington in the Revolutionary war.  The mother of our subject was Elizabeth (Masse) Lewis.  Her husband, Peter Lewis, was a hatter by trade, and in 1816 he liberated his slaves, sold his home and removed to Chillicothe, Ohio, where he purchased 640 acres of partly cleared land.  Here his family sickened, and becoming disheartened, they returned east to Columbia where the mother died, leaving four small children.  Soon after the only daughter died, and Mr. Lewis removed to Greensburgh, Penn., and here married.  His children were bound out, our subject being taken by a farmer who could not teach him a trade.  So at the age of fifteen years he was taken to Pittsburg, where he was bound out to Mr. F. C. Davis and began learning the art of marking chairs and ornamenting.  HE remained here three years and then worked as a journeyman some time for his board and washing.  He painted the first canal boat which floated down the Erie canal and also the first passenger car which crossed the mountains.  He also painted the first canal boat which plied on the Wabash canal, and was owned by Mr. McCormick was the proprietor.  The first grist mill in the county was erected at Junction, by Messrs. Sirenos, Most & Co., and also painted by him.  Mr. Lewis worked for a while in Leesville, but was obliged to take in payment guns, watches and horses.  Later he built a house, and Feb. 4, 1840, married Margaret, the daughter of John and Isabell (Moderwell) Majors.  Mrs. Lewis was born July 30, 1821, ad by her marriage became the mother of Dessie, wife of John Cox; Artemus F., Stanley, Emma, now Mrs. Sylvester Emerson; Luella, wife of Dr. John Hosford, and Laura, the wife of Eli Adams.  Mrs. Lewis left a farm, and went to Bucyrus, where he worked at his trade, and then exchanged it for eighty acres of wild land, where the town of Latty is now situated.  On arriving in Paulding county, Mr. Lewis found his land covered with woods, but settling to work, he soon had a portion of it cleared and then erected a house.  He lived here and then bought eighty acres just north of the town, which is still his home.  Just before the railroad was built, Mr. Lewis located at Latty, in which place he laid out seventy acres and made for himself a good investment.  He has been in poor health for some time and his eyes are weak.  He cast his first vote for Andrew Jackson, and, save at the election of Lincoln, his votes have always been cast in favor of the democratic candidates.  Mr. and Mrs. Lewis, who have lived together over fifty years, are held in the highest esteem by all who know them.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 78
  Auglaize Twp. -
ENGLEBERT LINK, one of a family of ten children, was born Nov. 7, 1846, and was reared to years of maturity by his parents.  His education was received in the schools of his county.  He remained with his parents until the death of his parents in 1878, when he began life for himself as a teacher in the spring of 1871.  He has taught twenty-eight terms of school in five districts of the county and has been successful in his calling.  Mr. Link is eminently a self-made man, and whatever success he has achieved has been the reward of diligent and persevering labor.  He was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth, the daughter of Nicholas and Mary (Vanvlervah) Schoonover, on the 13th of October, 1881, and are the parents of four children: Earl N., Oscar R., Flora V. and Heber G.  Mr. Link is an adherent to the principles of the democratic party, has held the minor township offices and acted as assessor for three terms with satisfaction to the people and credit to himself.  Three of his brothers served during the late war, one of whom, Harman Link, a private in company B, Forty-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, was killed in battle as Dallas, Ga.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 38
  Auglaize Twp. -
FRANK S. LINK, a successful farmer of Auglaize township, is a native of Baden, Germany, and was born on Nov. 18, 1848, the son of Gallus and Josephine Link, natives of Germany.  The parents emigrated to this country in 1854, and located in New York, where they remained for one year.  New Jersey was their next stopping place for one year and a half, then Sandusky county, Ohio, and in 1862 the family moved to this township, where our subject now resides.  He was one of ten children, and received but a common school education.  As a democrat he has held the office of supervisor and other minor positions in the county.  Mr. Link was married to Miss Amelia, the daughter of Joseph and Polly (Wilhelm) Heister, on Aug. 14, 1876, and the union resulted in the birth of five children as follows:  Emma, George, Alice, Alonzo and Elmore.  The family are members in good standing of the German Reformed church.  Mr. Link has been prosperous in business and now owns eighty acres of the finest improved land in the county.  One of his brothers, a private in company B, Forty-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, was killed in the battle at Dallas, Ga.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 38
  Auglaize Twp. -
HENRY LINK, a thriving farmer of Auglaize township,, was born in Baden, Germany, June 14, 1837.  He came to this country and located in Paulding county, where he has since resided.  Mr. Link took part in the war between the states, as a member of company C, Fifty-seventh regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, having enlisted Nov. 9, 1861.  He participated in the battles of Shiloh, Corinth, Holly Springs and Vicksburg, where he was wounded in the side; Jackson, Miss; Mission Ridge, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, and on July 22, 1864, was taken prisoner and confined in Andersonville, where he suffered all the tortures of prison life.  He was exchanged in September, and was taken to the honorable discharge.  Returning home, Mr. Link engaged in farming, and as a democrat held the office of trustee for one term.  Nov. 14, 1865, he married Miss Adeliza Iddings, the daughter of Townsend and Harriet (Williams) Iddings, of Irish extraction, and is the father of William H., John, Clarence H., Jefferson, Anna D. and Curtis Cleveland.  The family are devout members of the United Brethren church.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 38
  Brown Twp. -
ROBERT H. LIGHTHILL - Prominent among the retired farmers of Brown township, Robert H. Lighthill holds a conspicuous place.  He is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in Beaver county, May 29, 1827, the son of George and Jemima (Hendricks) Lighthill, the former being a nephew of R. M. Johnson, at one time vice-president of the United States, and the latter of whom is a cousin of the late Thomas Hendricks of presidential fame.  In 1837 George Lighthill removed to Richland county, Ohio, where he engaged in farming.  He located in Paulding in 1852, being preceded there by his son, who had remained in Richland county but a short time.  Mr. Lighthill, the subject of this mention, married, Dec. 18, 1851, Lydia, the daughter of John and Annette (Randal) McMannis, who was born in Wayne county, Ohio, Aug. 16, 1835.  Mr. Lighthill obtained his land from the government, taking out a patent deed, and he is one of the oldest settlers in the county.  He has held the office of township trustee and other positions for which he was well fitted, being in his political belief a democrat.  Mr. and Mrs. Lighthill are the parents of Mary A., wife of H. Hoover; Thomas, B. D., Jefferson, Helen (deceased), Lanada, wife of Charles Matson; Annaretta, wife of B. D. Claypool; George, Nelson W., Jemima (deceased) and John M.  In their religious views the family are Free Thinkers.  They are highly respected in the community in which they live.  Mr. Lighthill is a member of the Grange, No. 627, of Paulding county.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 50
  Brown Twp. -
REV. SPENCER LIGHTHILL, younger brother of Robert H. Lighthill, was born in Beaver county, Penn., May 31, 1836, and in company with his brother came to Paulding county in 1851, where he has since resided.  He received his education in the schools of the day, and grew to manhood on the farm.  His marriage occurred June 28, 1860, when Mary, the daughter of Thomas and Polly Hamilton, became his wife.  Mrs. Lighthill was born in Allen county, Ohio, Dec. 28, 1838, and was there reared to womanhood.  Her parents are both deceased.  The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Lighthill are Rosa A., wife of Heimal Knapp; Henry F. and Ellsworth T. (deceased).  In 1863 Mr. Lighthill enlisted in company I, One Hundredth Ohio volunteer infantry, for three years, but not being able to serve, he was sent home in August of the same year..  He is a carpenter and stone-mason by trade, and has followed these occupations all his life.  Since 1877 Mr. Lighthill has been a minister in the Dunkard denomination, and he has preached in nineteen different states.  He retains many recollections of pioneer days, when the old settler spent the greater part of his time in hunting.  Rev. Mr. Lighthill is a pensioner, and though never actively engaged in politics, is a supporter of the democratic party.  He is highly esteemed in his township, and has always been forward in supporting schools, churches and all educational and reformatory movements.  Henry F. Lighthill is the son of Rev. S. H. Lighthill, above mentioned, and is one of the enterprising young agriculturists of the township.  He born Jan. 11, 1863, was reared upon the farm and obtained his education in the neighboring schools.  He was married Jan. 11, 1884, to Miss Anna, daughter of Edwin Bobinmyer, and the children that have brightened the family circle are: David E., Ethel G., and Clinton H.  Politically Mr. Lighthill is a democrat.  In connection with his farming, he raises fine horses.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 50
  Paulding Twp. -
JACOB LONG, a successful farmer of Paulding township, Paulding county, was born in Coshocton county, Ohio, Feb. 18, 1833, the oldest son of John and Esther (Caner) Long, both natives of Westmoreland county, Pa.  They were the parents of ten children, six sons and four daughters.  The father was a shoemaker by trade, married in Pennsylvania, and removed to Coshocton county, where he lived for several years.  Purchasing land in Holmes county, he resided there until 1852, when he sold his land and located ten miles east of Lima, in Allen county.  He owned 140 acres of land, which he cultivated and lived on until his death, in March, 1889, at the age of eighty-three.  His wife preceded him to the grave in May, 1888, aged seventy-two years.  They were devout members of the Christian church, highly respected in the county of their residence.  Jacob Long, the subject of this notice, received a limited education, and as he was the eldest son, he took an active part in supporting the large family of which he was a member.  He remained with his parents until his marriage, which occurred in the fall of 1854.  On year later he removed to Paulding county, locating three miles southwest of where Paulding now stands, and purchased eighty acres in the woods which he cleared and upon which he erected the primitive log cabin so familiar to the pioneer settler.  He depended on the game of the forest for his meat, and the skins of animals were used as tax money.  He endured all the hardships of the early days, helping to make all the first roads in the vicinity.  Mr. Long added to his farm 120 acres, making in all 200 acres, a large share of which is under cultivation.  His buildings are fitted with all the modern conveniences.  Mr. and Mrs. Long raised a family of sons and daughters named: William, Alden, John, Louise, wife of Isaac Snyder; Melanchton, Lydia, wife of W. G. Loyd; Hattie and Emmet.  The parents are worthy members of the Lutheran church, and enjoy the esteem of all who know them.  Mr. Long, who is liberal minded in politics, is one of the substantial farmers of the county, having seen it prosper through the years in which he made it his home.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 78
  Paulding Twp. -
JOHN H. LONG, one of the successful young men of the county, is a native of Paulding township, and was born Nov. 27, 1858, the third son of Jacob Long.  He was reared in his native county receiving a common school education, and chose the calling of the farmer.  In 1879, he purchased his home of forty acres, clearing the same and erecting thereon a log cabin.  In 1881 he moved onto the land, and now has it well improved, adding in 1890 forty acres more.  Mr. Long was united in marriage to Miss Martha L. Fisher, on the 14th of November, 1880, and is the father of Chloa M., Grover A. and Adam E.  An infant unnamed, is deceased.  Mrs. Long was born in Perry county, Ohio, the daughter of John and Charlotte (Jonas) Fisher, of German extraction.  She and her husband are members of the Lutheran church, and enjoy the respect and confidence of a wide circle of friends.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 78
  Benton Twp. -
THEOBOLD LOTHAMMER, a retired farmer, is a native of Alsace, France, having first seen the light in 1808.  His parents were Theobold and Catherine (Moses) Lothammer, residents of Alsace.  After acquiring his schooling, Theobold Lothammer, Jr., learned the trade of wood turner, and followed the same until he emigrated to America in 1854.  His first settlement was made in Crawford county, Ohio, where he remained for a time, and then purchased 160 acres of land in section 7, of Benton township.  In company with his family he began the process of clearing his tract and built the little log cabin so familiar to every pioneer.  Subsequently, Mr. Lothammer added to his previous purchase until he possessed nearly 300 acres, and when his sons left their home to begin life for themselves, he presented each one with a farm of forty acres.  He had married, early in life (1832), Mary M., daughter of Joseph Gamber, of France, and the issue of this union was ten children, as follows:  Theobold (deceased), Joseph, of Indiana; Anthony (deceased), Mary M. wife of Henry Stillsemberg; Theressa, wife of Peter Brady of Benton township; Ignatius of Benton; Maurice, of Benton; Agatha the wife of Frank Quince, and two who died in infancy.  In religious belief the family are communicants of St. John's Catholic church, at Payne.  After a long life of usefulness Mr. Lothammer, at the death of his wife, Aug. 15, 1889, retire from active business, and now resides with his son, Ignatius.  The latter is the fourth son in the order of birth, having been born in Alsace, Aug. 6, 1865.  He was reared in the township where he now lives, and received his education in the schools of Paulding county.  Through life he has followed the occupation of a farmer and has been successful in his calling.  Leaving the old homestead in 1880, he settled upon his present place.  His marriage occurred in 1881, when Miss Kate, the daughter of Jacob Roswurm, of Erie county, became his wife.  She was born in Germany, Nov. 17, 1862, and by her marriage became the mother of three children; Francis C., Mary M. and Frederick I.  Mr. Lothammer, who is a stanch supporter of the democratic party, affiliates with the member of the St. John's Roman Catholic church, at Payne, and is one of the representative citizens of Benton township.  Maurice Lothammer, a brother of the foregoing, dates his birth from the 18th of September, 1864.  He, like his brother, received his schooling in Benton township, and was reared to manhood as a tiller of the soil.  February, 1887, he purchased eighty acres of land and settled upon forty acres adjoining his present farm, which is well improved.  Subsequently he sold, in 1890, to Mr. Birkhold, this land, but has continued to make purchases until he now owns 120 acres of ground.  He was united in marriage in February, 1878, to Miss Annie, the daughter of William Gillin, of Benton, and one child, Francis A., blessed this union.  Maurice Lothammer is a genial gentleman, and one of the leading farmers of the township in which he resides.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Paulding Village -
HENRY LUDWIG, groceryman at Cecil, Ohio, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in West Salem township, Mercer county, on the 3rd of January, 1851, the son of Abraham and Anna (Gongway) Ludwig.  He was raised on the homestead farm and received his educational training in the schools of his township, learning, in connection with farming, the trade of a carpenter.  When he reached the age of eighteen years he left home and followed his occupation in various places. coming, in 1883, to the county of Paulding, where he worked at his trade.  Late in the fall of 1891 Mr. Ludwig purchased his present place of business, and is now successfully engaged in conducting the same.  Politically he is identified with the democratic party, although he is in no sense of the word an office seeker.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 71

NOTES:


 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights