OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
Historical Atlas
Paulding County, Ohio

ILLUSTRATED
Containing Maps of Paulding County, Townships, Towns and Villages,
Compiled by O. Morrow and F. W. Bashore
ALSO
Maps of the United States and State of Ohio.
Together with a Statement of the Settlement, Growth and Prosperity of the County,
Including a Personal and Family History of Many of its Prominent Citizens.
Illustrated
Madison, Wis.:
The Western Publishing Co.
1892

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1892 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST OF HISTORY & BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 
  Blue Creek Twp. -
GRANVILLE SAYLER is a man of much prominence and influence in the community in which he resides.  He was born in Harlan county, Ky., Sept. 14, 1845, the son of John G. and Polly (Hall) Sayler, of English parentage.  Mr. Sayler was reared to manhood in his native county, and during the war was a soldier.  He enlisted, in 1863, in company F, Forty-ninth Kentucky regiment, and participated in the battles of Franklin, Nashville and Memphis.  He was discharged Dec. 26, 1864, at Lexington, Ky.  Returning home he married Miss Louise Farmer on the 18th of October, 1865.  Mrs. Sayler is the daughter of John and Susan (Skidmore) Farmer, and a lady widely and favorably known in the community.  By her marriage she became the mother of Angeline, the wife of Milton Belcher; Albert, Sarah (deceased), Ritta, John, Susan, Polly, James, Laura and Joseph.  Mr. Saylor acted as sheriff of Harlan county, Ky., for two years and was justice of the peace for six years.  He located in Paulding county in 1890, and has since been engaged in farming.  Politically he is a republican and a pensioner.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Paulding Village -
ALFRED H. SAYLOR, ex-sheriff of Paulding county, was born July 26, 1861, on the state line between Ohio and Indiana.  His father was Jacob Saylor, and the maiden name of his mother was Elizabeth J. Curtis.  She was the daughter of Gen. H. W. Curtis.  Alfred H. Saylor spent his youth upon a farm, and received his education in the schools Antwerp and the Methodist Episcopal college, of Fort Wayne.  He graduated from Eastman's business college, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and in 1881 engaged in the manufacture of staves at St. Louis, in company with his brother, H. N. Saylor, under the firm name of H. N. Saylor & Bro.  He remained in this city for three years, and then, removing to Payne, Ohio, embarked in the dry goods business.  Subsequently he returned to St. Louis and entered the employ of his brother, and later became one of the firm of Saylor & Co., composed of H. N. Saylor, his father and our subject, for the manufacture of patent coiled elm staves.  Mr. Saylor is still engaged in this business, and has become a successful business man.  In 1889 he was elected to the office of sheriff as a democrat, honorably discharged the duties of that position, and proved himself a worthy and efficient official.  He was at all times prompt in looking after the duties of the office, and in discharging such, showed himself to be a servant of the people.  His social, unassuming way, and the official.  He was at all times prompt in looking after the duties of the office, and in discharging such, showed himself to be a servant of the people.  His social, unassuming way, and the official ability exercised, won for him a host of friends in the county.  Mr. Saylor is a member of the Paulding lodge, K. of P., and is past master workman of assembly No. - , K. of L., of Paulding.  He was married, in 1885, to Miss Carrie C., the daughter of Henry George, and is the father of two bright children, whose names are Alfred H. and Vergie G.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 72
  Blue Creek Twp. -
ANDREW A. SCHILLINGER was born in Crawford county, Ohio, Sept. 4, 1861, and is one of the enterprising young men of Blue Creek township.  He is the son of Jacob and Magdalena (Follmer) Schillinger, of Germany, who emigrated to America in 1853 and located in Richard county, Ohio.  Subsequently they made Crawford county their home and in 1873 located in Paulding, where they purchased a farm and where they now reside honored citizens of the township.  Mr. Schillinger, Sr., owns 160 acres of land in section 13, and here he is engaged in tilling the soil.  Andrew A. Schillinger, the immediate subject of this sketch, is the fourth child and second son born to these parents.  His early life was spent in Mercer county, and he was educated in the common schools.  As a democrat he has acted as constable of Blue Creek township for one year and has acceptably filled this office.  His marriage occurred on the 24th of May, 1891, at which time Miss Maggie Arter, a native of Crawford county, Ohio, born Dec. 26, 1872, became his wife.  Mrs. Schillinger is a daughter of Henry and Sarah (Snyder) Arter, of German and Irish extraction, and is a young lady favorably known in the community.  With her husband, she enjoys universal respect.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Emerald Twp. -
ALEXANDRIA SCOTT, a carpenter and farmer, was born in Ireland, Dec. 25, 1836, the son of Alexandria and Margaret J. (Orr) Scott, of Irish origin.  He was the eldest of six children born to these parents, and their names are as follows:  Alexandria, Robert, James, John (deceased), Sarah and Hugh (deceased).  The death of the mother occurred in her native land in the year 1849; and the father, in 1851, with his four children, set sail for America.  He remained in this country but three weeks, when he returned to Ireland, and engaged in farming, which he carried on until his death, in 1859.  Thus, his eldest son, our subject, was left an orphan at the age of fourteen years to struggle on the best he could.  He engaged as an apprentice in the foundry and machine shop, where he stayed about two years.  The next two years he worked in a paper mill, in Patterson, New Jersey; then he located in Emerald township, in Dec. 1854.  He stopped at Tate's Landing, (now Reid's postoffice), and worked at day labor until 1860.  At this date Margaret J., the daughter of Thomas and Mary (Tate) McKindlas, became his wife, and after his marriage he worked in the Reiniche saw mill until November, 1864, when he enlisted in company L, Tenth Ohio cavalry and was engaged in active service until Aug. 10, 1865.  He took part in the battles of Nashville, Bentonville and other hard skirmishes, and received an honorable discharge.  After his return home form the war he turned his attention to farming and carpentering.  As a democrat, Mr. Scott is quite aggressive and at present is filling the office of justice of the peace.  Mr. and Mrs. Scott are the parents of these children: Mary; an infant, who is deceased; Margaret; Annie, who died in 1865; William, Samuel, Nettie, Annie and James.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 60
  Blue Creek Twp. -
J. T. SCOTT, manufacturer of drain tiles, was born near Lebanon, Warren county, Ohio, Mar. 25, 1851, the son of Richard and Margaret (Lynn) Scott, natives of Ohio and Pennsylvania, and of Scotch-Irish and Irish descent, respectively.  Thomas Scott, the paternal grandfather, was a native of New Jersey, and his father, Jonathan Scott, was also a native of that state and a farmer by occupation.  The great-great-grandfather was one of three brothers who came from Scotland to the United States and located in New Jersey, he being the progenitor of the family in America.  Richard Scott, the father of the subject of this sketch, was reared in Warren County, Ohio, and married in early life.  He was a pioneer farmer, and in 1861 sold the homestead farm, removing with his family to Putnam county, Ohio, and locating upon a section of land.  Subsequently he owned 2,100 acres, and removed to the state of Tennessee, where he died at the age of seventy-eight years.  He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for thirty years, but withdrawing from that body, joined the United Brethren church, of which he served as local minister for the rest of his life.  Mrs. Scott still survives, and is making her home with her children.  J. T. Scott removed with his parents to Putnam county, where he worked on the farm and received a common education.  At the age of nineteen years he started in life for himself, and worked on a farm, receiving but small compensation.  In 1870 he went to Liberty township, Van Wert county, and made his home with his brother-in-law, who was prominent in the county, and while residing here formed a marriage alliance with Miss Margaret, daughter of William and Catherine (Huston) Uhrick Mrs. Scott is a native of Tuscarawas county, and was born June 12, 1851. For a time Mr. Scott farmed on rented land, and after his marriage returned to Putnam county and located at Kalida, where he was engaged in teaming.  In 1878 he purchased forty acres of land on the present site of Scott, Van Wert county, to which he moved in 1881.  He built the railroad depot after the completion of the railroad at that place, and has since added many acres to the town of Scott.  As one of the representative and progressive men of the county, Mr. Scott takes first rank.  He divides his attention between farming and the manufacture of drain tile, in which latter pursuit he has been very successful.  He is a charter member of the order of Red Men, and with his wife is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Under his direction a society was formed and a good frame church has been erected, in which regular services are held.  Mr. Scott was also a prime mover in obtaining a special school district on the south side, and the citizens voted a tax of $300 with which to erect a school building.  When the bonds for which to build the school were offered for sale there was no purchaser, and therefore Mr. Scott resigned from the school board and bought the bonds himself.  The school is graded and has an enrollment of 300 pupils.  Mr. Scott was also one of the charter member of the Patrons of Industry, and he is a valued member of the community.  As a citizen, he has ever looked to the best interests of his town and county, the improvements and enterprises of which have been in a large measure due to him.  He is the father of those children:  Mitta L., Richard S., Margaret C., William Hayes, S. M., Anna E., Jessie (deceased), Fortress, Elizabeth and Ruth.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Blue Creek Twp. -
ANDREW L. SHAFER and his son, Zadock S. Shafer, are among the successful manufacturers of drain tile and pressed brick in the county, and established their factory in 1890.  Its daily capacity is 8,000 tile, or 12,000 brick.  It is the largest tile and brick factory in the county, the goods being of a superior order.  Mr. Shafer, who is a skilled mechanic, was born in Mahoning county, Ohio, Sept. 29, 1832, the son of John and Adecima (Ashbaugh) Shafer, the former being of German parentage and the latter of English extraction.  Jacob Schafer, the paternal grand-father, was a native of Germany, who came to America in his youth.  The maternal grandparent, Andrew Ashbaugh, was born in England, and emigrated to America at the age of twenty years.  John Shafer was a farmer by occupation, and reared a family of four sons and seven daughters.  He was a pioneer settler of Mahoning county, a member of the Presbyterian church, and died at the age of eighty-two years.  Andrew L. Shafer remained with his parents until he reached the age of nineteen years, at which time he began an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade, at which he worked for fourteen years.  In 1864 he abandoned this pursuit and removed to Hancock county, where he engaged in saw-milling.  In 1887 he removed to Scott, Paulding county, Ohio, and became interested,  in company with his sons, in the lumbering business, until the fall of 1890, at which time he sold to his sons, A. A. and F. E. Shafer.  Mr. Shafer is a progressive business man, and the life he has led has been active and useful.  He owns land adjoining the village plat to the extent of thirteen acres, and other town property.  Politically, he is a republican.  Mr. Shafer was married in June, 1855, to Miss Mary daughter of Jacob and Susanna (Aultman) Rummel of German parentage.  She was born in Mahoning county, Ohio, Dec. 13, 1832, and by her marriage became the mother of Alason A., Zadock S., Freeman E., Clarence L. and Alta E.  Mr. and Mrs. Shafer are highly respected citizens of Blue Creek township and widely and favorably known.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Washington Twp. -
JACOB SHAFER is the son of John Shafer, who is elsewhere mentioned in this volume.  He was born on the 22d of February, 1844, in Allen county, Ohio, and at the age of four years came to Paulding county, with his parents, where he grew to manhood on one of the first farms in Washington township, following the occupation of the farmer.  He was married in Putnam county, Sept. 6, 1866, to Miss Susan, the daughter of David and Esther (Shank) Spitnale, and by her he had the following named children:  John W., Hulda E., wife of Elias Bidlack; Elizabeth, Annie, David, Lewis, Lawson, Eula and Clinton J.  Mrs. Shafer was born in September, 1846, and, with her husband, belongs to the Mennonite church.  Mr. Shafer has held many of the township offices, and is a republican in politics.  He has been a worthy citizen of Paulding county since 1868.  On the 15th of July, 1863, he enlisted in company C, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, and received his discharge at Cleveland, Ohio, Mar. 4, 1864.  He took part in the battles of Cumberland Gap and Clinch river, during which engagements he fought bravely and faithfully for his country.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 82
  Washington Twp. -
JOHN SHAFER located in Paulding county when the townships of Washington and Latty were one, the date of his settlement being 1848.  He was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, July 10, 1823, the son of Frederick and Ellen (Scorkins) Shaver, of English and German parentage.  Mr. Shafer received a common education and was married in Allen county, on the 29th of September, 1842, to Miss Susan Dickey.  She was born in Holmes county Sept. 4, 1818, and was the daughter of John and Mary (Deets) Dickey.  The children which bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Shafer are:  Jacob D., John F., William, Daniel A., Jefferson E. and Willomina, Mary E. and Susan A., who are deceased.  Mr. Shafer is one of the leading republicans of Washington township and cast his first vote for Martin Van Buren.  He is one of the pioneer settlers of the county and highly respected for the long life of probity and usefulness which he as led.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 82
  Benton Twp. -
W. A. SHAYNFELT. - One of the young and enterprising citizens of Paulding county, is W. A. Shaynfelt, manufacturer of tile and brick.  He was born June 26, 1864, the son of William and Elizabeth (Lowell) Shaynfelt, of Jay county, Ind., who came to Paulding county and settled in Benton township in 1871.  Subsequently they removed to West Virginia, where the subject of this notice received his schooling and followed farming.  Since the age of twenty-two he followed the latter occupation, but in March, 1891, he connected himself with J. W. Mitchell, under the firm name of Mitchell & Shaynfelt, manufacturers of tile and brick.  They are now successfully engaged in this business, being progressive young men bound to prosper.  Mr. Shaynfelt in his political belief adheres to the republican party.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Benton Twp. -
J. W. SHERER, one of the representative men of Benton township, was born in Allen county, Ohio, July 6, 1854, and was the only son born to James and Margaret (Kennell) Sherer, natives of Virginia and White Haven, England, respectively.  The former was of English and Scotch extraction and the latter of English parentage.  Mr. Sherer spent his early life upon the farm and had the advantage of the common schools until 1873, when he entered the National normal school at Lebanon, Ohio, where he remained for two years, thus preparing himself for teaching at the age of nineteen years.  He was studiously inclined, and a retentive memory, and thus made rapid advancement.  He taught several terms in Allen county, then in 1877 came to Paulding county, where he taught for two years - the first three terms at Royal Oak and afterward at Charloe.  He then in 1879 located in Auglaize county, Ohio, where he engaged in purchasing railroad ties and railroad supply timber.  In 1881 he engaged with N. Moses & Brothers, of Cleveland, dealers in railroad ties and real estate, with whom he remained eight successive years, during which time he was very active in business, having a large field to work over, and was a worthy and trusted employe.  He was practical in his business, and his judgment and honor were never questioned.  In 1889 he resigned and since has given his attention to his farm in Benton township.  He located in Payne in 1885, where he enjoys a good comfortable home, which, along with his farm, is the result of his own efforts.  Politically, Mr. Sherer is a republican and a member of lodge No. 725, I. O. O. F., also of the Defiance Encampment, No. 87.  He was married Oct. 21, 1880, to Miss Lilly J. Staley, daughter of Isaac Staley.  By this union two sons, Edward Earl and an infant, have been born.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Auglaize Twp. -
ADAM SHOLL is a native of Germany, having been born there in October, 1816, the son of John and Elizabeth Sholl, natives of the fatherland.  Adam was the youngest of five children born to these parents, and he came to America when he was but seventeen yeas of age.  He located in Baltimore with his uncle and aunt for a time, and then removed to Greencastle, Penn., where he lived working by the month at $6.00.  From this place he went to Seneca county where he was united in marriage with Miss Maria Hoffman, the daughter of Hood Hoffman of Germany.  Mr. and Mrs. Sholl have been blessed with nine children, namely: Mary (deceased), Joseph, Rosa, Oliver, Margaret, Mathias, Isabeth, Catherine  and Adam, Jr.  The family are members of the Catholic church, in which they enjoy high standing.  Politically, Mr. Sholl is connected with the democratic paty, in whose welfare he is deeply interested.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 39
  Blue Creek Twp. -
J. R. SHOTWELL, dealer in real estate and loans, established his business at Scott, Ohio, in March, 1889.  Here he has worked up a large and lucrative trade, and by his integrity and strict attention to his business affairs enjoys the respect and confidence of the community.  Mr. Shotwell was born in Perry county, Ohio, Sept. 18, 1855, the son of John C. Shotwell, an early settler of the county. He was given a good education, and at the age of nineteen eyars started in life for himself by farming on rented land.  In time he was enabled to purchase land in Hocking county, where he lived until 1882, when he removed to Van Wert county, and, locating in the woods east of Scott, began the process of making a home.  In the fall of 1889 he located in Scott, of which place he is a worthy citizen.  Mr. Shotwell was married Feb. 13, 1876, to Miss Phoebe Paling, of Hocking county, Ohio, but a native of West Virginia.  Mrs. Shotwell is the daughter of Remus Paling, of Hocking county, Ohio.  Our subject is a member of the improved order of Red Men, and though not a partisan in the sense of seeking office is a worker in the ranks of the republican party.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Benton Twp. -
THE SHUGARS FAMILY. - Henry Shugars was a native of Berks county, Penn., and was born in 1813, the son of Michael Shugars.  In 1840 he entered eighty acres of land in Benton township, and two years later settled upon the same, following the pursuit of the farmer all his life.  He lived upon his land until his death, which occurred Mar. 8, 1891, and in his demise the community lost one of its valued citizens.  He married Miss Elizabeth Howman, a native of Pennsylvania, who died Mar. 28, 1866.  Their family consisted of these children: William, who died in the United States service at Washington, D. C., as a member of company I, One Hundred and Thirty-second Ohio volunteer infanty; Barbara, the wife of Daniel Michael, who died July 9, 1889; Catherine, now Mrs. Eli Woods; Franklin and Henry.  Henry Shugars, sr., was, during his life, a member of the Lutheran church.  Franklin, his son, was born Aug. 3, 1849, in Benton township, and was reared to manhood on the homestead, obtaining his instruction in the county schools.  In partnership with Henry, under the firm name of Shugar Bros., he began the breeding of horses and cattle, and cultivated 288 acres of land.  As a republican he filled the office of supervisor for his township, and served the people acceptably.  Mr. Shugars was married in June, 1880, to Miss Ann Brady, of Benton township, the daughter of Michael Brady, an old and well-known resident of the county.  They have three children, called Ella F., Mary B., and William R., and are highly respected in the community where they reside.  Henry Shugars, Jr., was the youngest son of hte parents above sketched.  His birth occurred Feb. 15, 1852, and he was raised and educated in Benton township.  He became a member of the firm of Shugars Bros., formed in 1871 for the purpose of stock raising, and is successful in his calling.  In 1874, Mr. Shugars married Miss Catherine Marion, and the union was blessed with the birth of one child, Viola G., born Mar. 24, 1875.  Mrs. Shugars is the daughter of William Marion, of Benton township, and with her husband enjoys general esteem.  The latter is a republican in politics, and is interested in teh welfare of his party.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Paulding Village -
JOSEPH SILBERBERG is the editor and proprietor of Die Freie Presse, a German weekly democratic newspaper, published at the county seat of Paulding county; it is the only paper printed in German in the county.  It reaches a thrifty, well-to-do and growing class of people, whose sterling qualities as citizens and business men are well known in every community, particularly in Ohio.  The German is, as is well known, inseparably attached to his mother tongue and the customs of fatherland; for this reason he likes to read the news in his native tongue, and to supply this long-felt want Die Freie Presse was established.  Joseph Silberberg, the editor and proprietor of the paper, was born and educated in Germany.  When still a boy he was apprenticed to a newspaper printer, where he learned, during a five years' stay, the intricacies of the publication business.  When twenty-one years of age he came to this country, where he worked in many states as a printer, always anxious to see as much of the people and country as his means would permit him.  Possessing a tendency for close observation and study he soon learned to love our country, its institutions and people, and eighteen years ago, eight years after his arrival, he became an American citizen, choosing this country as his future home.  Mr. Silberberg is a hard worker.  His earnest efforts for his purpose, are thoroughly imbued by patriotic love for institutions and people of his adopted country.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 75
  Harrison Twp. -
ORIN SKINNER is a native of New York and was born in Chenango county, Sept. 20, 1820, the son of Justin and Alma (Norton) Skinner, of English origin.  Our subject is the only son living and his boyhood was spent in York state.  At the age of seventeen years he went to Darke county, Ohio, and began life for himself as a farmer.  Removing to Paulding county, he has become one of the venerable and honored residents of Harrison township.  He is a member of the Dunkard church.  Mr. Skinner was united in marriage to Miss Nargaret C. Renner, a native of Maryland, on Mar. 18, 1853.  Mrs. Skinner was born near Fredericksburg, and when two years old was taken by her parents to Starke county, where they died.  To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Skinner seven children have been born namely:  Henrietta L., the wife of Silas Blazer; Florence B., the wife of Joseph Iveman; Alvin O., Ella, the wife of James Deardorff; John, Alfred and Clarence S.  Mrs. Skinner is a republican and has held the minor township offices.  He was clerk of the township for three years and also held the position of constable for two years.  Mr. Skinner is now retired from the active labor of farm work and living in the midst of friends and relatives; with pleasant and comfortable surroundings, there is no reason why the last days of himself and faithful companion should be crowned with contentment, and all its attendant blessings.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 62
  Auglaize Twp. -
JOEL SLOPPY, a leading agriculturist of Auglaize township, was born in Butler county, Ohio, May 18, 1829, the son of Jacob and Catherine (Heroff) Sloppy, of Pennsylvania.  The parents are now dead.  At the age of seventeen years Joel Sloppy began working as a carpenter and continued the same for fourteen years.  In February, 1865, he enlisted in company C, One Hundred and Ninety-second Ohio volunteer infantry, for one year and served for seven months, being discharged at Winchester on account of illness.  He is a member of the G. A. R., and one of Paulding's best citizens.  Dec. 4, 1854, Mr. Sloppy was married to Miss Maria Borger, a daughter of Jacob and Anna M. (Long) Borger, and they are the parents of seven children: Charles E., Vastina V. (deceased), Sylvanus E., Lily J., wife of G. W. Lloyd; Leander J., Jacob and Anna M. (deceased).  Mr. Sloppy, who has held the office of trustee in this township for six years, is at present serving as county infirmary director.  Fraternally, he belongs to the Masonic lodge, and he and wife are members of the German Reformed church.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 39
  Blue Creek Twp. -
JOSHUA SLUSHER, a thriving farmer of Blue Creek township, was born in Clay county, Ky., Jan. 20, 1854, the son of William and Nancy (Howard) Slusher, of German parentage.  Our subject grew to manhood on the homestead farm, and was educated in the common schools.  Here he was joined in wedlock on Aug. 14, 1873, with Miss Easter, the daughter of Elisha G. and Sarah (Howard) Bingham, of Kentucky.  They are the parents of nine children, whose names are:  Mary, William, Sarah, Philip, Benjamin Franklin, Gillis, Green, Nancy and Calloway.  Mr. Slusher is one of the stanch democrats of the county, and a man highly respected, both as a farmer and private citizen.  The family are members of the Baptist church, and enjoy high social standing.  Our subject located in this county in November, 1889, and has since resided here engaged in tilling the soil.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Benton Twp. -
J. E. SMILEY, a prosperous merchant and manufacturer of Benton township, was born Feb. 10, 1848, in Perry county, Penn.  His parents were Andrew and Frances (Leaheart) Smiley, natives of Pennsylvania.  Our subject was educated in the common schools and at the normal school of Millersville, Penn.  Upon leaving this institution he taught school for some time, until at the age of twenty-four his health failed him and he came west, locating in Clarke county, Ohio, where he followed his profession.  In 1882 he purchased the mercantile business of H. G. Hood, at what is now know as Smiley, and in 1883 succeeded in obtaining the postoffice at this place, naming for himself.  He was appointed postmaster, and has filled the office since to the satisfaction of the citizens.  Mr. Smiley also conducts a saw mill and shingle and basket bottom factory.  He owns about 210 acres of land in Harrison township, and twenty-five in Benton, while his residence and business are at Smiley.  Mr. Smiley was married, in 1880, to Miss Martha A., the daughter of John Bushong, of Champaign county, and they are the parents of Estelle, Warren, alma, Frederick and Ethel M.  Mr. and Mrs. Smiley are members of the Lutheran church, and have the good will and respect of a large circle of friends.  Politically, our subject is a supporter of the republican party.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Carryall Twp. -
A. J. SMITH - Among the early settlers of Paulding county is A. J. Smith, who was born in the year 1816, in the state of New York.  He is the son of Thomas and Jane (Jones) Smith, who removed to Indiana when our subject was a boy, and there reared him to manhood.  His early life was spent in various occupations and in 1856 he came to this county and purchased his present farm of 76 acres, which he has cleared and improved.  Mr. Smith was the first sheriff of the county, being in politics a republican.  His marriage occurred in 1857, at which time Miss Catherine Bogert became his wife.  They have these children: Coe M., Andrew D., William H., Eliza J., Franklin T., John M., Hattie A., Newton C. and Vinnie M.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith rank high in the community which they reside.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 54
  Paulding Twp. -
C. M. SMITH, a skilled workman in wagon making and general repairing, located in Latty, Ohio, in 1884, and has established a good and lucrative business.  He was born in Greene county, Ohio, Nov. 11, 1856, the son of John C. and Emeline (Witta) Smith natives of Virginia and Ohio.  John Smith was a farmer, married early in life and became the father of nine sons, six of whom are living.  He became a resident of Van Wert county in 1862, where he is now living in the enjoyment of healthy old age.  He and his wife are members of the Friends church.  C. M. Smith, our subject, was six years old when he came to Van Wert county.  His education was obtained in the common schools, and as he worked with his father on the farm until he was nineteen years old, when he engaged as a farm hand in Indiana and at carpentering in Michigan.  Returning to Van Wert in 1881, he again farmed his father's place until 1884, when he removed to Latty, where he worked during the first summer at house building, and in 1885 was employed at the Eagle stave works.  Late in the fall he opened his shop, and by his obliging manners he has won a lucrative patronage.  Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Emma Lawhead, of Van Wert county, on April 2, 1882, and to them four children, named Arthur A., Bessie L., Bertha M. and Elmer A., have been born.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 80
  Emerald Twp. -
DAVID SMITH, a successful farmer, is the son of Hiram and Mary (Colar) Smith, natives of Virginia.  He first saw the light in West Virginia, on the 6th of June, 1844, and from that time until he was forty years of age, he resided with his parents.  Nov. 6, 1884, in Milway, Madison county, Ohio, he was married to Miss Nancy Harper, and became the father of one son, named John H. Smith.  Mrs. Smith is the daughter of David and Mary (McMullen) Harper, of Ohio, and is a member of the Presbyterian church.  Her husband, who located in this township Mar. 20, 1889, is a Master Mason, and a supporter of the democratic party.  The family have the respect of a wide circle of acquaintances.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 61
  Benton Twp. -
HENRY J. SMITH, born in Logan county, Ohio, Mar. 4, 1840, is the son of Solomon and Nancy (Jones) Smith, of German and French extraction.  His youth was spent in his native county upon the farm, and May 6, 1861, he enlisted in company F, Twenty-third Ohio volunteer infantry, for three years, and took art in seventeen hard-fought battles. He served for over four years, and received his discharge July 27, 1865.  Upon his return home he engaged in farming in Darke County, Ohio, and there married Miss Elizabeth Kimbel, by whom he had one child, a daughter named Mary A.  Mrs. Smith died in 1872, and Mar. 8, 1874, Mrs. Mary J. Kerns, widow of Henry H. Kerns, and a daughter of H. B. and Margaret A. (Hinkle) Budd, became the wife of Mr. Smith.  Their children are: Allen H., Alice S., Satira E. and Rosa M., who are living, and Stella J., deceased.  Mrs. Kerns had one daughter, Barbara A.  Politically Mr. Smith is a republican, a
nd with his wife belongs to the Methodist church.  He located in Paulding county in 1881, and is a valued citizen of the community.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Latty Twp. -
J. M. SMITH, an industrious farmer of Latty township, was born in Wayne township, Auglaize county, Ohio, on the 23rd of August, 1853.  He is the son of W. B. and Nancy (Clark) Smith, natives of Ohio, and was reared and educated in the common schools of his native place.  At the age of twenty-five years he came to Paulding county and purchased his present farm of sixty acres, which is well cultivated.  In every respect Mr. Smith is a thorough farmer who understands his business and sticks to it closely, the result being that he has obtained success and established himself as a worthy and useful citizen.  His marriage occurred in February, 1877, at which time Miss Rebecca Cox became his wife.  They have three children, whose respective christian names are:  Ernest V., Forest E., and Francis M. Smith.  Politically, Mr. Smith is a member of the democratic party, though not deeply interested in partisan contests.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 66
  Jackson Twp. -
JASPER SMITH was born Mar. 29, 1856, in Allen county, Ohio, the son of Peter and Clara (Edgewood) Snyder, who were natives of New York and Ohio, respectively.  Jasper Snyder, who was raised upon the homestead farm, was educated in the public schools, and at the age of twenty years learned engineering, in which he was engaged for some time running engines at various places.  In 1887 he bought his present farm in Jackson township, which consists of forty acres of good land well cleared and improved.  Mr. Snyder married, in 1873, Miss Alice, the daughter of William Lackey, of Allen county, and seven children came to bless their union, namely: Calvin E., Warren F., Inez E., Carrie Maud, William Jay, Charles A. and Ethel May.  The family are members of the church of Christ, of which Mr. Snyder is one of the elders.  In politics he is a republican and enjoys the general esteem of his fellow townsmen.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 64
  Jackson Twp. -
JOHN C. SMITH (deceased) was a native of Germany, and came with his parents to Stark county, Ohio, when twelve years of age.  In 1863 he removed to Paulding county, and there purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, where his sons now live.  He married Rachel Parrish, who died in 1870, and they became the parents of three children: John C. Smith, Jr.,  was born June 14, 1858, in Stark county, where he lived until six years of age.  He was educated in the common schools.  In 1883 he settled upon his portion of the homestead farm, and is now engaged in the pursuit of agriculture.  He was married to Miss Anna Bercaw, Apr. 5, 1883, and they have three children: Charles H. was born Feb. 8, 1884; George I. was born Aug. 22, 1886, and died Mar. 6, 1888, and Flossie F. Smith was born Jan. 21, 1889.  William H. Smith, the second son, is a native of Stark county, and was born Feb 19, 1863.  After acquiring a common schooling, he, at the death of his parents, went to Emerald township to reside, and has followed the occupation of farming.  He is now living on his portion of the homestead farm.  He married Miss Mittie E. Bercaw, of Defiance county, and they are the parents of two children: Lula R. was born Aug. 27, 1888, and Laura E. Smith was born Dec. 25, 1889.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 64
JOHN S. SNOOK, Democratic Representative from this district, was born Dec. 18, 1862, on a farm in Carryall township, near Antwerp, Ohio; he is the son of William N. and Martha Snook; attended the Antwerp schools, from which he graduated in 1881; in the following year entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, and attended the school for three years; on leaving college he took up the study of law under the instruction of Judge Wilson H. Snook, with whom he spent two years; he then entered the Law School of the Cincinnati College, from which he graduated in June, 1887; commenced the practice of law at Antwerp, moving to Paulding in 1890, at which place he now resides; in 1891 he was married to Edith May Wells, of Crawford Co., Pa.; in 1900 was elected to represent the Fifth Ohio District in Congress by a majority of 3708.
Source: The Biographical Annals of Ohio, 1902 - 1903 - Page 756
  Paulding Village -
WILSON H. SNOOK, ex-prosecuting attorney, and one of the leading attorneys of the Paulding county bar, was born near Antwerp, Ohio, Oct. 30, 1850.  His parents, Wilson H., Sr., and Anna (Murphy) Snook, were both natives of New Jersey, and of German and Irish parentage respectively.  The father of our subject was reared to early manhood in his native state, when he came with his parents William H. and Parmelia Snook, to Defiance county, Ohio, locating at Delaware Bend, in 1826.  Wilson H. Snook, Sr., was the third son, and started in life empty-handed, with a strong determination to succeed, following farming through life in connection with merchandising at Antwerp, the last few years.  He by his active business life and good financiering ability, became well-to-do, leaving a good home for his family at his death, which occurred in November, 1853, aged forty-four years.  At the age of twenty-three years he was married to Miss Anna Murphy, a daughter of Robert Murphy, one of the pioneers of Carryall township, which marriage resulted in the birth of four sons, viz.:  William, Byron, John and Wilson H.  Mrs. Snook died Jan. 2, 1871, aged fifty-eight years.  Mr. Snook and wife were prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  W. H. Snook, the subject of this sketch, was the youngest of the family, and was reared to manhood upon the homestead farm near Antwerp, Ohio, having the advantages of the common school.  Being favored with a studious disposition and retentive memory, he made good use of his time.  He later attended school one year at Newville, Ind., after which he taught in the common schools of the county a few terms.  He then attended school at Maumee City, Ohio, for one year.  In 1869, he entered the Baldwin university, at Berea, Ohio, and spent four years of hard work, when he abandoned school life, resuming farming and teaching school during the winter.  He also began reading law with Hon. L. S. Gordon as his preceptor.  He applied himself closely to his chosen work, and in 1879 was admitted to the bar, at Columbus, Ohio, and immediately thereafter began the practice of his profession at Antwerp, Ohio, where he commanded a lucrative practice until the fall of 1885, when he was elected prosecuting attorney of Paulding county, by the republican party, and re-elected in 1888, having made an efficient official.  He is an able jurist and a safe counselor-at-law.  He is a strong partisan in the republican ranks and was the nominee for the common pleas judge of the district composed of Williams, Defiance and Paulding counties, but the election is now under contest.  He is a member of the lodge No. 335, F. & A. M., at Antwerp, also the commandery at Defiance, Ohio.  Mr. Snook was married Apr. 11, 1877, to Miss Nannie Graves, the daughter of Z. T. Graves, an early settler of Carryall township.  This marriage has been blessed with four children, viz.:  Homer C., Lee May, Otto Ward and Ethel Maud.  Mr. and Mrs. Snook are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and are highly respected citizens.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 75
  Paulding Village -
ALLEN G. SNOW was born in Knox county, Ohio, Aug. 2, 1865, the son of Freeman and Mary (Gann) Snow, of German, French and Scotch extraction.  The early life of our subject was spent in his native county, where he attended the common schools.  At the age of sixteen, he served an apprenticeship of three yeas in the drug store of Edmund Bocking, of Wheeling, W. Va., after which he attended the Cleveland college of pharmacy for about eighteen months.  After his graduation from this institution, on Sep. 13, 1885, he clerked in Cleveland, and in 1890, removed to Paulding, where he took charge of the store owned by Hon. J. L. Geyer.  This he continued until Sept. 8, 1890, at which time he embarked in the drug business upon his own responsibility.  His stock, which is first class, is comprised of drugs, fancy goods, toilet articles, wall paper, artists' materials and school books.  Mr. Snow is republican, and a member of Masonic lodge, No. 417, at East Palestine, Ohio.  He is a  representative and enterprising young man, and if life and health be spared to him, will doubtless have a long and prosperous business career.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 75
  Brown Twp. -
GEORGE W. SNYDER. - Since 1884 George W. Snyder has been a worthy citizen of Brown township, Paulding county.  HE is the son of Jacob and Fannie (Baker) Snyder, and dates his birth from the 25th of June, 1845.  His early life was spent on the homestead farm in Hancock county, and at the age of fourteen years he, in the company with his parents, removed to Henry county, where the latter engaged in farming.  Mr. Snyder obtained a common education, and was married in Putnam county, Ohio, Mrs. Elizabeth Button widow of Otis Button becoming his wife.  Mrs. Snyder is the daughter of James Anderson a respected resident of his county, and by her second marriage is the mother of Sarah (deceased), Robert, George, Cora, Thomas and Ida.  Mr. Snyder is a democrat in politics, and by his life of probity and industry has gained the esteem of all who know him.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page  51
  Benton Twp. -
ISAAC SNYDER, JR., a thriving farmer and justice of the peace of Benton township, was born in Champaign county, Ohio, Jan. 22, 1850.  His parents, Isaac and Eliza (Body) Snyder, reared and educated their son in Benton township, and he spent his early life upon the homestead farm.  In July, 1887, he settled upon his present place and engaged in general farming.  His politics are democratic, and he has held the positions of real estate assessor two terms, treasurer for six years, and supervisor one year.  He has been the justice of the peace since 1889.  His wife, whom he married June 5, 1887, was Miss Louisa Long, the daughter of Jacob Long, of Paulding township, and an honored resident of that place.  Mr. and Mrs. Snyder have two winning children, Elmer R. and Herbert A. by name.  The family are members of the Payne Lutheran church, in which Mr. Snyder is trustee.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
  Paulding Twp. -
LEONARD SNYDER - Prominent among the hard working farmers of Paulding county may be mentioned Leonard Snyder who was born in Hardin county, Ohio, Mar. 30, 1852.  He was the eldest of four sons born to William and Elizabeth (Mathews) Snyder, both natives of Ohio, and of German parentage.  Adam Snyder, the paternal grandfather, was a native of Pennsylvania and one of the pioneer settlers of Ohio.  The maternal grandfather, Samuel Mathews, was also a Pennsylvanian and an early resident of Richland county, Ohio.  William Snyder, the father of our subject,,, started in life a poor man.  He chose the occupation of the farmer, purchased timber land, which he cleared, and became a well to-do man.  He and his wife are enjoying the comforts of a good home after years of hard work.  They are members of the Reformed church.  Leonard Snyder received his education in the district schools of his neighborhood.  He remained at home until he was twenty-six years of age, at which time, on June 12, 1878, he took as his wife Miss Ella the daughter of Jonas and Mary (Stumm) Loutzenhiser.  Mrs. Snyder was born in 1857, and she and husband have adopted a son, named Harmon, whose birth occurred Dec. 9, 1882.  Mr. Snyder, on starting out in life for himself, had but little.  He worked hard and saved $500, and in company with his brother, Ambrose, purchased 40 acres of land.  This they owned for several years, selling in 1882, and coming to Paulding county.  For ten successive years, selling in 1882, and coming to Paulding county.  For ten successive seasons he operated a threshing machine.  Buying 40 acres of land in Paulding he has erected a good frame dwelling and is getting his farm under cultivation.  As a democrat, Mr. Snyder has served as a school director.  He is a member of the Lutheran, while his wife belongs to the Reformed church.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 80
  Paulding Village -
A. M. SPONSLER, the assistant cashier of the Potter bank, and one of the progressive young men of Paulding, was born in Kenton, Hardin county, Ohio, the son of Jacob and Margaret (Slonaker) Sponsler.  The early life of our subject was spent upon the farm and he acquired his education in the schools of the county.  He early engaged in farming and stock raising, and in 1889 came to Paulding and engaged in the hardware business under the firm name of Savage & Co.  In 1890 Mr. Sponsler bought the entire business and built up a fine line of agricultural implements, buggies, wagons, stoves and general hardware.  Late in the fall of 1891, he sold his stock to F. M. Bashore, and then in January, 1892, purchased an interest in the Potter bank, and accepted his present position.  His marriage to Miss Margaret Stevenson, occurred in 1889.  Mr. Sponsler occupies a prominent place in the estimation of his fellow citizens and his great personal popularity has won him a large circle of friends throughout the county.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 75
  Paulding Village -
HENRY E. SPRING, real estate and loan agent, is a son of Henry and Louisa (Seadman) Spring, and was born in Oswego, N. Y., July 30, 1839.  His parents settled in Medina county, Ohio, where our subject was reared and educated.  He learned the shoemakers trade, which he followed for an occupation until 1861, when he enlisted in company K, Eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served three and one-half years, and was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, in the left ankle.  He participated in the following engagements:  Winchester, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Chancellorsville, Antietam, Mine Run, Weldon railroad, North Anna and Cold Harbor.  After the close of the war Mr. Spring was engaged at his trade until 1858, when he settled in Paulding and engaged in teaching, for a number of years, throughout the county, and in 1885 he established his present business. In 1879 he was appointed mayor of Paulding and elected the two following terms.  He was deputy clerk in 1878, under A. D. Fuller.  In 1888, he was appointed by Gov. Foraker, probate judge, to fill the unexpired term of W. G. Lee.  Politically he affiliates with the republican party.  Mr. Spring is past master of Paulding lodge, No. 502, F. & A. M., member of Theo. Merchant post, G. A. R.  He was married in 1863, to Miss Achsa, a daughter of John and Elizabeth Barnes, and by this union they are the parents of four children:  Nellie V., A. Fay, Clark E. and J. Carroll.  Mr. Spring is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is one of the trustees.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 75
  Benton Twp. -
JOHN STABLER - One of the early settlers of Benton township was John Stabler (deceased), who was born in Germany in 1812.  At the age of twelve years he came with his parents to this country, and located in Franklin county, Penn.  Here John learned the trade of a shoemaker, and when a young man settled in Ashland county, where he engaged in farming and his trade: in 1857 he came to Benton township, where his son, John M., now lives.  He entered 360 acres of land, and was one of the expert hunters of this section.  His wife was Elizabeth Wilkerson before her marriage, and the children she bore her husband are: Martha, wife of David Harshman; Mary (deceased) who married Peter Lehman; Susannah, the wife of S. B. Mathers; Rebecca, the wife of J. Kilpatrick; Ephraim M., John M., and three who died in infancy.  The death of Mr. Stabler occurred in 1884, and his wife, who still survives him, resides with her son, John M.  They were members of the Lutheran church.  Ephraim, the eldest son, was born in Ashland county, Ohio, Aug. 31, 1838.  He was reared and educated upon the homestead farm, and in 1864 enlisted in company H, One Hundred and Thirty-second Ohio volunteer infantry.  At the close of the war he located upon his farm, and has been engaged in clearing and improving the same.  He married Catherine, the daughter of Jacob Lehman, in 1856, and eleven children were born to them; Samantha, wife of William King; Mary, wife of George Grooms; Rebecca, married John Barnhill; Samuel, Jacob, John, Edward, Susan, Nora, Daisy (deceased), and JennieMr. Stabler is a progressive and energetic citizen who stands well in his community.  His brother, John M., was born in 1849, and has always lived in Benton township, where he has been engaged in tilling the soil.  He entered the army as a member of company H, One Hundred and Thirty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, and served until the expiration of his term of service.  He was happily united in marriage to Miss Minnie, the daughter of Albert Croomer, and their children are William, Jennie, Mary, Elizabeth, Samuel, Jonathan, Garthey and John.  Politically, Mr. Stabler is a republican and a worthy member of the John Stabler post, No. 179, of Payne.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 41
Paulding Twp. -
EDWARD STALEY, the popular sheriff of Paulding county and the superintendent of the establishment of N. Moses & Bro., dealers in timber and real estate, was born in LaFayette, Allen county, Ohio, Mar. 7, 1862, the son of Isaac Staley, an early and prominent settler of Washington township, Paulding county, and a native of Virginia.  When a child, the subject of this sketch was brought to Paulding county, where he was reared and educated.  At the age of nineteen years he rented the homestead farm, and engaged in the timber business in the vicinity of Melrose.  He also learned the trade of blacksmith and became a good mechanic.  In the fall of 1881 Mr. Staley engaged in business for the firm of N. Moses & Bro., remaining with them for two years.  He then spent one year in prospecting in the mines at Leadville, Col., and in the timber trade, but not meeting with the success he anticipated, in the fall of 1883 he returned to Melrose, where he at once found employment with the above named firm, and since that time he has had full charge of the timber and real estate business in this and adjoining counties.  During his business engagement with the firm Mr. Staley has paid out in Paulding and the counties the sum of $1,000,000.  He has invested his earnings in land, and is engaged in farming by proxy, owning in Washington and Latty townships 400 acres, 100 of which are cultivated.  Starting in life with but little means Mr. Staley has, by integrity, energy and activity, succeeded in becoming one of the well-to-do young men of the county, and is most favorably known.  He is a republican politically; is a member of the F. & A. M.; the Blue lodge, at Paulding, No. 502; is one of the youngest Knights Templar in northwestern Ohio, being a member of lodge No. 30, at Defiance, and he is a charter member of the K. of P. lodge, No. 503, at Melrose.  Mr. Staley was married, in April, 1885, to Miss Elva Day, of Henry county, and the union has resulted in the birth of one child, a daughter, Jessie, born on the 23rd of June, 1886.  Mrs. Staley died July 18, 1886, having been a lady highly esteemed wherever known, and a faithful and loving wife and mother.  During the last campaign Mr. Staley was elected sheriff of th county on Nov. 3, 1891, by a majority of 179, his opponent being Mr. O. H. Saylor, a popular candidate for re-election.  In discharging his official duties, Mr. Staley is giving satisfaction to his constituents, and he is well worthy of the honor conferred upon him.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page betw, 72 & 75
  Washington Twp. -
ISAAC STALEY, a retired farmer, was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, Jan. 7, 1829, the son of John and Arah (Kerby) Staley natives of Virginia and Maryland, respectively, the former of German and the latter of Irish and English extraction.  They came to Pickaway county, Ohio, in childhood and here married, rearing a family of three sons and three daughters.  Mr. Staley died at the age of seventy years, and Mr. Staley yet survives, aged eighty-three years.  Our subject removed to Allen county, in infancy, with his parents, and was frequently nursed by the Indians, as they were numerous in that section during his childhood.  He was reared a farmer boy and received a limited education from the common schools, and during his boyhood days took up blacksmithing in the shop with his father.  He began business at Lafayette, Ohio, were he opened a blacksmith, wagon and repair shop.  Mr. Staley was an expert workman, and made many a breaking plow and other farm tools.  In the fall of 1863, he removed to Paulding county, locating in section 18, Washington township, having to cut his road to his forest home, where he became a pioneer.  He opened a blacksmith shop in which he worked during the day, and at night cleared away the forest where he had his first wheat field.  He followed his trade for thirty years along with farming, becoming one of the well-to-do farmers of his county.  After abandoning his trade he began dealing in timber, after which he was employed by Moses Bros., of Cleveland, Ohio, and for several years was one of the most active timber dealers in northwestern Ohio, and no man stands higher for integrity and honor.  He is an aggressive republican and one of the leaders of his party for years.  He located at Dupont, Ohio, in 1890, where he enjoys all the comforts of life provided by his own hard work and industry.  Mr. Staley is one of the leading Sunday-school workers in the county, and during the first two years in this county, succeeded in establishing five Sunday-schools, and to-day fine church societies flourish as the fruits of his work.  He is also a pioneer temperance worker.  Mr. Staley was married, in 1840, to Miss Martha A. Gilbert, a native of Canada, of English parentage.  By this union are eight children, viz.:  Clinton J., Caroline, wife of Edward Keltner; Mary, wife of Mayland Thompson; Lilly wife of James Sherer; Isaac L., Edward, sheriff of Paulding county, William and Arthur H.  Mrs. Staley died in 1879, having been a life long member of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mr. Staley married again in the fall of 1882.  Mrs. Margaret Kingery became the bride.  Mr. and Mrs. Staley are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Staley has been a member for forty years.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 82
  Jackson Twp. -
JOHN STALEY, a well-known agriculturist, was born in Allen county, May 28, 1839.  Peter and Hannah (Hall) Staley, natives of Virginia, were his parents, and they reared their son on the farm, while his education was acquired in the common schools.  His father and mother having died when he was but fourteen years old, he began to earn his living by working in various places on farms.  This was continued until Dec. 31, 1861, when he enlisted in company I, Forty-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry, for eleven months.  At Vicksburg Landing he was wounded in his right wrist by a musket shot.  He was placed in the hospitals of Louisville, Ky., and Columbus, and Sept. 11, 1862, he was honorably discharged on account of wounds and disability.  He then purchased forty acres of land in Allen county, Ohio, where he lived until March, 1871, when he bought forty acres in Paulding township, where he remained for one year, at the end of which time he bought his present farm in eighty acres.  He took unto himself a wife in the person of Miss Maria J. Akerman, of Allen county, and their marriage occurred in 1860.  They became the parents of ten children, eight of whom are living:  Frank M. who married Miss Alice Holtsbery; William H., who died Nov. 11, 1881; Andrew C., Mary E., wife of Michael Keck; Humphrey O., Hannah E. wife of Albert Good; John R. died Dec. 8, 1881; Letitia R., Keziah M. and James W.  Mr. Staley, who is a republican in politics, has been a school director.  He is a member of the Broughton post, G. A. R., and P. of H., Jackson Grange, of Hedges, and in his business life is a progressive farmer.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 64
  Blue Creek Twp. -
HIRAM STANLEY was born in Harrison county, Ohio, Oct. 16, 1846, the son of James and Susan (Scott) Stanley, of Irish parentage.  The ancestors on the maternal side came from Dublin, Ireland, about the year 1810, and located in Ohio.  Hiram Stanley grew to years of maturity in Logan county, and here received his schooling.  In Harding county, on Aug. 12, 1866, he was united in marriage to Emily C. Decker, the daughter of Ithamore and Charlotte (Wilson) Decker, Germans by birth.  The union resulted in the birth of James F., Charlotte, Theodore and an infant not named.  Mrs. Stanley departed this life in 1875, and Oct. 12, 1876, Mr. Stanley took as his second wife Miss Julia Cox, the daughter of Dennis and Mary (Davis) Cox.  During the late war Mr. Stanley was a member of company F, One Hundred and Ninety-first regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, and on the 22nd of June, 1865, he received his honorable discharge.  He contracted several diseases while in the service, and is now a pensioner on account of disabilities received while in the army.  Politically, he is a democrat, highly esteemed by  his fellow-citizens.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Blue Creek Twp. -
DAVID C. STEWART - Prominent among the leading farmers of Blue Creek township David C. Stewart is deservedly mentioned.  He was born in Shelby county, Jan. 6, 1842, and is the son of Hiram and Elizabeth (Hartsell) Stewart, of German extraction.  He was reared to manhood in his native county, and was married to Miss Mollie Coe, in Logan county, July 12, 1874.  She is the daughter of Alonzo and Anna (See) Coe, and was born in Miami county, Dec. 21, 1854.  The result of this union is the following named:  Anna M., Susan M., William H. and George H.  The family are communicants of the Christian church, in which they enjoy good standing.  Politically, Mr. Stewart is a republican and a member of the grange.  He located in this county in 1880, and upon his farm he raises fine horses and the Holstein cattle.  The family of Mr. Stewart enjoy high rank in the social world.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Blue Creek Twp. -
GEORGE STILLWAGON was born in Richland county, Ohio, Aug. 12, 1842, and his parents are Charles and Rebecca (Swoverland) Stillwagon, of German parentage.  The early life of the subject of this notice was passed in Van Wert county.  He enlisted in April, 1861, in company C, of the Eighteenth regular United States, for five years, and he served until 1862, or until after the evacuation of Corinth, at which time he suffered a sun stroke and was sent home as unfit for service.  His health improved and he re-entered the army as a member of company H, Fourth Ohio Cavalry, and under Capt. King, in the army of the Cumberland; he served until wounded at the battle of Jonesboro, Ga.   He was again sent home on a furlough and after a wound received in February, 1865, he was never able to report for duty.  He was taken to Camp Dennison, and there remained until June 22, 1865, when he received his final discharge.  For eighteen months Mr. Stillwagon was compelled to use crutches while walking.  He was married on Christmas day, 1864, to Miss Sarah Price, a native of Pennsylvania, born Aug. 2, 1843.  She is a daughter of Amos and Sarah (Bergg) Price, and born her husband the following children:  Charles (deceased), Minnie, wife of William Burnsides; George P., John W., Harry (deceased), Asron (deceased), Frfancis M., Clarence E., Sadie M. and Avery.  Mr. Stillwagon was a locomotive engineer on the P., Ft. W. & C. R. R. for nine years; acted in a like position on the G. R. & I. R. R. for five years; acted in a like position on the G. R. & I. R. R. for five yeas, and on the Clover Leaf for three years.  He is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and a republican in politics.  The family are embers of the Christian church and stand well socially in the community.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 44
  Auglaize Twp. -
J. H. STOVER, of Oakwood, Ohio, was born in Hancock county, Ohio, Mar. 6, 1842, the son of Henry J. and Margaret (Bogard) Stover, of German and Irish extraction.  Mr. Stover enlisted on Aug. 6, 1861, in company A, Forth-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, and shortly afterward was transferred to company I of same regiment, having enlisted for three years or during the war, and took part with his regiment in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge, where he was wounded in the left leg, during the former charge on the enemy.  He was also wounded in the head at Rocky Face Ridge, on the 10th of May, 1864.  He was present and participated in all of the battles on the Atlanta campaign, namely:  Resaca, Pickets Mills (where the Forty-ninth lost over 50 per cent, killed).  In fact was under constant fire for 100 days.  After the Atlanta campaign and the battle of Jonesboro had been fought, when Sherman sent part of his army south and part north, the Forty-ninth was among the number that marched north after Hood's army.  The Forty-ninth was then under Thomas' command and participated in the battles of Franklin and Nashville and was among the number of help annihilate Hood's army, during the summer of 1865.  Mr. Stover participated in one of the most hazardous campaigns of his experience in Texas.  He was mustered out at Victoria, Tex., Nov. 30, 1865, having served over four years, having marched over 1,000 miles and fought 23 hard battles and over 100 skirmishes, and has no hospital record.  He enlisted as private and mustered out as corporal.  He received a veteran's medal from the state of Ohio for long and continuous service.  On the 19th of April, 1866, he was married to Miss Clara, the daughter of Joseph and Ann Perkins, of Putnam county, Ohio.  Miss Perkins was born in Leicestershire, England, Feb. 17, 1841, and emigrated to this country with her parents in 1845.  The result of this union was the birth of Edwin M., Dora E., Clara S., Margaret A. and Chloe E. Stover.  The family are members of the Church of Christ, highly respected whenever known.  Mr. Stover located in this county in 1875, and is interested in harness making and the sale of carriages, being connected with the firm of Stover & Son, Oakwood, Ohio.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 39
  Paulding Village -
W. F. STRAW, manufacturer of drain tile and brick, is a native of Crawford county, Ohio, and was born on the 26th of October, 1833, the son of Orrel and Rosetta (Main) Straw.  He was educated in the schools of his county and learned the tinner's trade at Mansfield.  He went to Kenton, Ohio, in 1845, and engaged in the business, following it for ten years, when he removed to La Fafayette, and later to Fort Wayne, where he carried on his occupation.  He then engaged in farming in Illinois for four years, removed to Paulding and established, in partnership with Messrs. Durfy and Segars, a hardware store.  Subsequently Mr. Straw purchased his partners' entire interests and operated the same until 1876.  He then located upon his present place, which he had previously purchased, and which he still occupies.  Mr. Straw is a member of the school board  of Paulding and belongs to the F. & A. M. lodge.  He has been twice married.  Miss Amanda Baird, of Upper Sandusky, who became his wife, died, leaving a daughter, Emily P.  He then carried Mrs. Martha Nash Craig, and four children, two of whom, Charles L. and Rosa M., are living, were born to them.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 75

NOTES:


 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights