OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
Historical Atlas
Paulding County, Ohio

ILLUSTRATED
Containing Maps of Paulding County, Townships, Towns and Villages,
Compiled by O. Morrow and F. W. Bashore
ALSO
Maps of the United States and State of Ohio.
Together with a Statement of the Settlement, Growth and Prosperity of the County,
Including a Personal and Family History of Many of its Prominent Citizens.
Illustrated
Madison, Wis.:
The Western Publishing Co.
1892

  Washington Twp. -
JOHN and ANDREW GAINES are farmers.  They were born in Kentucky, as slaves of Joseph Hughes, who liberated them at the beginning of the war, and they soon afterward came north to seek home.  They were industrious, hard working young men, and to-day have a well improved farm, the result of their own good management.  They each vote the republican ticket and are members of the Baptist church.  They removed to Paulding county, Washington township, where they resided ever since.  Andrew married Miss Mary Simmons, daughter of M. C. and Charlotte Simmons.   By this marriage four children were born, viz.:  Ida, Burton, John H. and Gertrude.  John is yet single and is a thorough-going, industrious young man.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 81
  Blue Creek Twp. -
WILLIAM GALLOWAY is a native of the "Buckeye state," and was born in Shelby county, Mar. 24, 1854, a son of Henry and Sarah (Redman) Galloway, the former of Maryland, and the latter a native of Ohio.  r. Galloway, our subject, was the youngest of eight children born to these parents, and grew to manhood in his native county.  He enlisted in the regular United States army on May 20, 1878, as a member of Company G, Twenty-fifth regiment of infantry, and was discharged on the 19th of May, 1883, having served a term of five years.  Mr. Galloway located in Paulding county in 1883, and on the 12th day of July, 1884, was wedded to Miss Martha, the daughter of Arthur and Mary J. (Holly) Mines of Indiana and Ohio respectively.  Their children are Charles A., Frederick D., Henry A. and Irene.  Politically, Mr. Galloway is a republican, and he is esteemed in all the relations of life.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Benton Twp. -
HIRAM K. GAUT, a real estate and insurance agent, is the worthy mayor of Payne.  He was born in Harrison county, Ohio, June 11, 1841, the son of Joseph and Sarah McClish) Gaut, natives of Ohio.  He was educated in the common schools and resided upon the homestead farm until Nov. 22, 1831, when he entered the army in Company C, Sixty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served until Apr. 3, 1865.  At the close of the war he settled in Indiana and followed various occupations.  In 1869 he came to Payne, returned to Indiana in 1871, and subsequently embarked in the mercantile and lumber business in the former place.  In 1872 he was appointed postmaster and filled the office until 1885; in 1882 was elected justice of the peace and served for nine years, and in 1883 was the choice of hte people for mayor of the town.  He has served in the last position continuously ever since and also held the office constable for three years.  He established his real estate and insurance business in 1882, and has been successfully engaged in the same.  His marriage, which occurred in 1866, to Miss Elizabeth, the daughter of Christian Stabler, of Paulding county, resulted in the birth of H. E., Caroline A., the wife of M. O. Lawson; Franklin L., Alpheus, Cora A., Grade D., Peter E., and Nora E.  Mr. Gaut is a member of the John Stabler post, No. 179, G. A. R., Payne lodge, No. 725, I. O. O. F., and the K. of P., No. 377.  Mr. and Mrs. Gaut  attend the Disciples church, in which the former is an elder.  Politically he belongs to the republican party.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Blue Creek Twp. -
JOHN GEARHART is one of the enterprising young men of Blue Creek township, and was born in Defiance county, Oct. 3, 1857, the son of John and Mary (Hottle) Gearhart, of German parentage.  Mr. Gearhart was the fourth in order of birth of six children born to these parents, and his education was received in the neighboring schools.  He located in this county in 1888, and has since been one of its progressive citizens.  His marriage occurred on the 24th of November, 1881, when Miss Mary Wells became his wife.  She was born in Defiance county, Sept. 29, 1860, the daughter of Henry and Jennie (Coleman) Wells.  The issue of this union was one daughter, named Lilah Gearhart.  In politics Mr. Gearhart is a believer in the doctrines of the democratic party, of which organization he is an ardent supporter.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Benton Twp. -
RHINEHART GEARLING - One of the prominent and influential men of Paulding county is Rhinehart Gearling, who was born in Hesse, Darmstadt, Germany, in October, 1824.  His parents were Rhinehart and Elizabeth Barbara Gearling, natives of the Fatherland.  At the age of twenty-six the subject of this sketch, in 1850, emigrated to the United States and first located in Crawford county, Ohio, where he remained for two years, working at farming.  He then went to Mansfield, where he found employment in a livery stable for three years.  In 1855, on coming to Paulding county, he settled in Benton township upon 160 acres of land, which he had purchased.  He added to this land until at present he is the owner of 396 acres of good ground, 150 of which he has succeeded by hard work in getting under cultivation.  He has built a fine residence upon his land and all his buildings have modern conveniences.  Mr. Gearling led to the altar in 1855 Miss Mary Riley, a native of Germany, and unto this union these children have been born: Mary, Michael, Rhinehart, Gotlieb, Louisa, the wife of David Shiffer; Kate (deceased), who married Frank Kerns; Conrad, Adam, Christian and Caroline.  The father of these sons and daughters is a democrat in politics and has filled the office of township supervisor.  He and his wife are members of the Lutheran church and the family enjoy universal popularity.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Blue Creek Twp. -
HIRAM GEBHART - Since 1882, Hiram Gebhart ahs been an influential citizen of the township in which he lives.  He has been justice of the peace since 1883, and acted as deputy sheriff of Butler county, Ohio, under Robert Andrews for two years.  Mr. Gebhart is a son of Daniel and Christina (Lingle) Gebhart, of German lineage, and he was born Sept. 3, 1825, in Butler county, Ohio.  He grew to years of maturity in Madison county, and was given a common schooling.  Farming has been his life work, and in this calling he has been successful.  He was married in Montgomery county, Aug. 3, 1851, to Miss Nancy Emrick and their happy union has been blessed by the birth of William H., Susanna, now Mrs. John M. Jackson ; Sarah, Edwin C. and Samuel.  The farm which Mr. Gebhart owns is a well cultivated piece of property upon which buildings of a substantial order have been erected.  He is a leading citizen and an expert and successful agriculturist.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Latty Twp. -
JAMES H GENSEL. - The subject of this sketch was born in Carbon county, Pa., Jan. 2, 1837.  He is a son of Gideon and Elvina (Easterline) Gensel.  The father of our subject was a native of Berks county, Pa.  John Gensel, the paternal grandfather, was a son of a German emigrant who settled in Berks county at an early date, and was John GenselJohn Gensel, the grandfather of our subject, was a soldier of the war of 1812; he married Susan, a daughter of Frederick Helwick, and they were the parents of nine children: Gideon, Jacob, Lydia who married Jesse Spangler; Eliza, who married Enoch Spangler; Katie who married George May; Betsey, who married Samuel Mowery; Phoebe, who married Daniel Hains; Mary, wife of Henry Sherman and Annie who married Daniel Sharp, all of whom are deceased excepting Mrs. George May and Mrs. Samuel Mowery.  His second wife was Rachel the widow of Judge Haize, of Mercer county, Ohio, who survived him.  But little is known of John Gensel by his descendants, excepting that he was a weaver by trade, which he followed for an occupation until 1815, when he moved to Pickaway county, Ohio, and settled upon a farm in Salt Creek township.  He subsequently moved to Allen county and settled in Jackson township, where he died upon his homestead in 1864, at the advanced age of eighty-five, his wife having died some years previous.  He was a Lutheran, and a consistent member of that church.  He was an old line whig until the formation of the republican party.  Gideon, his son, was born in Berks county, Pa., in 1802, and was a carpenter by trade, which he followed for a living in his young days.  When the Lehigh canal was under construction, he returned to Carbon county, and entered the employ of the late Judge Asa Packer, as one of his superintendents, constructing the locks upon the canal.  He subsequently returned to Pickaway county, Ohio; later settled in Allen county.  In 1866 he came to Paulding county and purchased a farm of eighty acres in Benton township, where he died June 8, 1881.  In 1862 he joined company I, Forty-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry, served two years, and was discharged for disability.  He was three times married.  His first wife was Eliza Kendel, who died after six months of marriage.  By his second wife, Elvina Easterline, he had four children: John F., who died at Chattanooga, Tenn., while in the United States service as a member of company I, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry; James H., Jacob W., who served in the Eighty-first Ohio volunteer infantry, and Frances M.  Her death occurred in 1846.  By his third and surviving wife, Elizabeth Hoover, who resides upon the homestead in Benton township, he had seven children: George, who served in an Ohio regiment; Thomas, deceased; Monroe, deceased; Columbus, Alfred, Andrew J. and Stephen A.  Our subject, James H. was raised and educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-one he went to Pike's Peak and engaged in mining.  In 1859 he went to Tennessee, and was employed upon the construction of a number of the railroads in that state and in Mississippi; later he went to Texas and engaged in railroad` work.  He returned to Mississippi, and in June, 1861, enlisted in company K, Twentieth Mississippi volunteers, Confederate states army, and served until the close of the war.  He was taken prisoner at Fort Donelson, and sent to Camp Douglas, Chicago, and from there to Vicksburg, Miss., and exchanged.  He participated in the engagement at Fort Donelson, and served under Hood and Johnson in the Atlanta campaign, Stone Mountain, Peach Tree Creek, and in the  North and South Carolina campaign.  At the close of the war he returned to Mississippi and followed various occupations until 1867, when he returned to Allen county, and engaged in railroad work until August, 1871, when he purchased his farm in Latty township.  Mr. Gensel married, July 25, 1869, Miss Mary S., daughter of William Akerman of Allen county, Ohio, and by this union they are the parents of nine children: Oliver Clinton (deceased), William Gideon, Elvina Elizabeth, Keziah Ruth, Henry Marion, Mary Lucretia, John Cleveland, Ivey Rosetta and Byron Albert.  Our subject was elected township trustee in 1891, and is now filling that office.  Politically, Mr. Gensel is a democrat, and is a member of the P. of H., Latty grange, of Grover Hill, and is one of Latty township's enterprising and progressive citizens.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 65


Hon. J. L. Geyer
  HON. J. L. GEYER

Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 21

  Benton Twp. -
FRANK GIDEON, junior member of the firm of Gideon Bros., manufacturers of lumber, is a son of Henry and Lydia (Bedleheimer) Gideon with his parents moved to Adams county, Ind., where he was raised and given a common school training.  His youth was spent upon the farm, and, in 1873, with his brothers, Henry and John, he purchased 160 acres of land, and established a mill which is now operated by them.  Another mill is also run in section 29, Benton township.  Mr. Gibson is also engaged in farming, in which pursuit he is successful, operating a farm of eighty acres in Adams county.  In 1872, his marriage to Miss Kate, the daughter of David Mumma occurred, and two children, Rolla and Glenn, are the issue of this union.  Politically, Mr. Gideon is identified with the democratic party.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Benton Twp. -
HENRY L. GIDEON, deceased, was born Aug. 6, 1848, the son of Henry and Lydia (Bedleheimer) Gideon, of Franklin county, Ohio.  He was reared to manhood in Adams county, Ind., and at the age of eighteen years found employment as a brakeman on the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne & Chicago R. R. for three years.  He then engaged in the lumber business in Benton township, Paulding county, in partnership with his brothers, John and Frank, under the firm name of Gideon Bros.  Miss Hannah E., the daughter of James Stevens, of Adams county, Ind., became the wife of Mr. Gideon in 1868, and now resides upon the farm where they settled in 1873.  Henry L. Gideon departed this life on the 18th of December, 1888, his death resulting from Bright's disease of the kidneys.  He was an energetic business man, and his demise left a vacancy in the ranks of the leading citizens of Paulding county.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Latty Twp. -
BYRON J. GILBERT, the only male descendant of the above mentioned,  is a native of Ohio, born in Licking county, Oct. 11, 1849.  He was educated in the common schools and at the age of fourteen entered the employ of his father.  In 1880, in connection with W. W. McClure, he rented the saw mill which they operated for six years.  At the expiration of this time Mr. Gilbert purchased the mill and removed it upon its present site.  He now operates it in connection with his farm.  Mr. Gilbert has added a planing mill to his former establishment.  This mill gives employment to four men and has a capacity of 5,000 feet of lumber per day.  Two buildings, one of which is 26x60 and the other 16x60 are used in this enterprise and they are fitted up with improved machinery, the engine being of thirty-horse power.  Mr. Gilbert was united in marriage with Mary C., the daughter of Elwood Pease, of Washington township, on the 30th of December, 1870, and the union has been blessed by the birth of six children.  They have been named Elwood, Philander, Marion M. (deceased), Maggie C., Emma L. and Edna J. Gilbert.  Politically the subject of this sketch adheres to the principles of the republican party and belongs to Latty grange No. 621, P. of H.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has served as steward.  At present he is superintendent of the Sunday school and has his heart in his work.  Mr. Gilbert is at the present time school director of his township.  He is one of the leading and influential men of his county, and a citizen who commands the respect of all with whom he comes in contact.  Mrs. Gilbert, a lady widely and favorable known, is a fitting companion to her husband and with him enjoys high social rank.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 66
  Paulding Village -
GUY GILBERT, proprietor of the City Livery and Sale stable, of Paulding, Ohio, was born in Tompkins county, N. Y., Apr. 13, 1846.  He is the son of Lorenzo D. and Rosetta (McIntire) Gilbert, who were natives of York state, where they married in early life.  Our subject remained in his native county until fifteen years of age, when he removed to Wayne county, Ohio, with his parents, where he grew to manhood.  He received his education in the common schools.  At the age of sixteen years he began an apprenticeship at the saddler's trade, which he followed continuously until 1879, when he located in Paulding county, where he followed farming successfully until December, 1888, when he engaged in the livery business in Paulding, and has, by giving undivided attention to business, made a success, never failing to please his patrons, for they always received good turnouts and kind, courteous treatment.  He is a lover of of good horses and keeps on hand as fine drivers as northwestern Ohio affords.  Mr. Gilbert is one of the progressive young men, always ready to assist in all public and benevolent enterprises.  Fraternally he is a member of the I. O. O. F.  In 1869 Mr. Gilbert was united in marriage with Miss Caroline Shoup, of Burbank, Wayne county, Ohio, which has resulted in the birth of three children, as follows:  Charles E., George W. and Frank T.  Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert are worthy citizens and highly esteemed whenever known.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 70
  Latty Twp. -
PHILANDER GILBERT (deceased) was born in Livonia, Livingston county, N. Y., Feb. 5, 1813.  He was the son of Reuben Gilbert and was raised in his native county, where he received a fair education.  He learned the carpenter's trade and in 1832 came to Ohio and settled in Licking county, where, in connection with his uncle, David Hawley, he erected in St. Albans township a water power grist and saw mill, which was operated until 1861.  At this time he removed to Franklin county and purchased a steam saw mill, which he continued to run until 1866.  He removed the concern to Latty township and located it upon the land where his widow at present resides.  This mill was destroyed by fire in 1870 but nothing daunted, he rebuilt it upon the same site where it remained until its removal to the present situation.  It is now owned by his son Byron J. Gilbert.  Mr. Gilbert also purchased eighty acres of land which he cleared and cultivated until it ranked as one of the finest pieces of property in the township.  In 1872 the postoffice of Gilbert's Mills was created and our subject was appointed postmaster, which office he held until 1885.  Mr. Gilbert was married three times.  is first wife was Miss Rhoda Goddard, who died in 1838, leaving two children: Orville (deceased), and Mary C., wife of Andrew Stevenson, of Ringgold county, Iowa.  His second marriage was to Miss Margaret, the daughter of William Armstrong, of Franklin county, Ohio, who bore her husband four children, as follows:  Olive E., wife of T. E. Du Bois, of Council Bluffs, Iowa; William (deceased), Sarah J. (deceased) and Byron J.  Mrs. Gilbert died in 1854 and Mr. Gilbert married as his third wife Miss Catherine Sewell, of Knox county, Ohio, and a native of Ireland.  This union has resulted in the birth of Sarah A. , wife of W. W. McClure, of Latty township, and Kate, wife of S. A. Gusler, of the same place.  Mr. Gilbert departed this life April 16, 1887.  He had been a prominent and active member of the community in which he resided and his memory will long be cherished, not only by his loving descendants, but by all who knew him and for whom he did many kind acts.  He was an active member o the Methodist Episcopal church and had filled the offices of class leader, steward and trustee.  Mr. Gilbert was an ardent republican, and while he never sought office, did not refuse to take upon himself the duties and responsibilities thrust upon him by his admiring friends.  He filled the office of the justice of the peace and acted as school director for many years as he was a firm friend of education.  Mr. Gilbert was also a member of the P. H. Latty grange, of Grover Hill.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 66
  Washington Twp. -
DR. D. C. GOINGS - The subject of this sketch was born at Rumley, Shelby county, Ohio, May 19, 1839.  He was a son of Joel W. and Elizabeth (Cole) Goings.  His father was of Indian race and his mother of Irish descent.  His father belonged to the tribe of Wapoo.  Our subject was the seventh son of his father's children, and commenced doctoring at the age of twelve years.  His practice is through faith, and claims he was taught by the spirit is his knowledge in the healing power.  He received a collegiate education, and has practiced his profession through the states of Pennsylvania, New York, and Ohio.  He was married in Shelby county, Ohio, in June, 1861, to Rebecca, daughter of Archibald Fox, a full blooded Indian.  By this union they have had born to them eight children:  Joseph, Wesley, Lavenia Luella, wife of Charles Williams; Balaam, Craig, Charles, Julia and Isabella, deceased.  Politically our subject is republican, and has filled the office of township trustee.  His religious convictions are with the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a member.  Mr. Goings is also a member of the Masonic order, and is connected with a lodge at Shippenville, Penn.  He located upon his present place in Washington township, Nov. 5, 1881, on which he has placed substantial improvements and is one of the well-to-do men of his township.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 81


L. S. Gordon
L. S. GORDON

Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page

  Benton Twp. -
DR. C. V. GORRELL - Prominent among the well known physicians of Paulding county is Dr. C. V. Gorrell, who was born in Trumbull county, Jan. 4, 1843, the son of Joseph and Easter (Glass) Gorrell, natives of Beaver county, Penn.  In 1845 the parents removed to Wells county, Ind., where the subject of this notice received hsi education and was reared to manhood.  In 1862 he enlisted in company K, Seventy-fifth Indiana volunteer infantry, and served loyally until the close of the war.  At the battle of Hoover's Gap, Tenn., he had the misfortune to lose the sight of his right eye by a part of a gun-cap, which entered the ball.  He participated in the engagements under Gen. Rosecrans, was with Sherman on his march to the sea, and took part in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and the campaign to Atlanta.  At the close of the hostilities, Mr. Gorrell returned home and read medicine under Dr. J. L. Metts, of Indiana, and graduated from the Fort Wayne medical college in 1884.  In 1870 he began the practice of his profession in Summitville, Ind., where he remained for four years.  On account of ill health Dr. Gorrell then located at Clyde, Iowa, where he practiced until 1880, and in August of that year removed to Payne, where he has since resided.  In April, 1869, Miss Alfonna, the daughter of David Hayden,  of Allen county, became the wife of Dr. Gorrell (deceased), Orleno G. Gorrell, Claudius D. Gorrell and Erma Wilde Gorrell.  Fraternally the doctor is a member of the Masonic order, I. O. O. F. and G. A. R.  The family are members of the Disciples church.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Auglaize Twp. -
FRANCIS M. GRANT, a highly respected carpenter and blacksmith of Auglaize township, is a native of Sandusky county, Ohio, and dates his birth from the 15th of December, 1866.  He is the son of Joseph and Sarah (Netcher) Grant, of German extraction, and after obtaining an education in the common schools began life for himself.  His blacksmith and carpenter shop is located in the village of Arthur, which is his place of business.  Mr. Grant is an aggressive republican, deeply interested in politics.  He was married on the 2nd of November, 1887, to Miss Cora Mansfield, and unto the union one child named Ida May has been born.  Mrs. Grant is the daughter of Peter and Ellen (Perkins) Mansfield of English lineage, and honored residents of this county.  The family of Mr. Grant are attendants of the Christian church, in which they enjoy high standing.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 38
  Emerald Twp. -
JAMES H. GREEN, a popular farmer and at one time teacher, was born in Maryland, July 21, 1831.  He is the son of John and Susanna (Shimer) Green, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of New Jersey.  They had ten children, viz.: Zachariah, Barbara, Elizabeth, Catherine, William, Humis, James H., Mary A., Martha J. and Susanna.  James H. Green, began his business life by work by the day and month during the summer seasons and attending school in the winters.  In 1853 he taught school and continued that occupation until 1860.  Aug. 19,1861, he enlisted in company F, Thirty-eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, and was a participant in the following battles:  Mill Springs, Perrysville, Stone River, Tenn., Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and others of minor importance.  He was discharged Sept. 13, 1864, and now draws a pension of $10 per month.  Mr. Green who is a republican in politics, is an admirer of James G. Blaine.  He has held the offices of clerk and assessor for two terms each in Emerald township.  His marriage to Miss Mary,  the daughter of Harrison and Delilah (Barber) Knisely took place Sept. 12, 1855, and two years later he located in this township, where he has since resided.  His children numbered twelve, named:  Sarah E. (deceased), Cyrus(deceased), Mary A., wife of J. F. Yencer; Robert F. (deceased), William A., Delilah, Benjamin F. (deceased), Nora A., Charles T., John A., James H. and Edith A.  The family are members of the Methodist church and are highly respected in the community in which they reside.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 58
  Brown Twp. -
BENTON GRIMES was born in Logan county, Ohio, Sept. 19, 1847, and is the son of Andrew and Louise J. (Dunson) Grimes, of Irish and German extraction.  The subject of this mention is the eldest child of these parents and grew to manhood in Brown township, Paulding county, where he was taken at the age of four years.  He was educated in the common schools and early chose the pursuit of farming as his life work.  Mr. Grimes was married Feb. 6, 1876, to Samantha J. Moore, born in Paulding county, Aug. 9, 1853, the daughter of William and Elizabeth J. (Mahan) Moore and this union has been blessed by the birth of one child, a daughter named Maggie May.  Mr. Grimes is one of the leading democrats of Brown township and has acceptably filled several of the minor offices.  With his wife and daughter he belongs to the United Brethren church.  Mr. Grimes is an authority on all matters pertaining to agriculture and his farm of eighty acres is finely improved and cultivated.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 49
  Brown Twp. -
WILLIAM GRIMES is a native of Brown township, Paulding county, Ohio, and is the son of Andrew Grimes and Louisa Grimes who are elsewhere mentioned in this volume. He was born Sept. 10, 1857, and his boyhood years were passed upon the farm.  He was educated in the common schools and later in life was married to Miss Ida C., the daughter of Daniel and Charlotte May.  The marriage occurred Apr. 28, 1883, and has resulted in the birth of the following children: Edgar E., Jennie M., born Feb. 4, 1885 (deceased); Harry E., born Apr. 16, 1887; Frank E., born May 22, 1889, and Maud C., born Sept. 27, 1891.  In connection with farming, Mr. Grimes raised fine horses.  He is considered one of the leading farmers and citizens of the township and his success has been achieved by thrift, energy and good judgment.  He is a democrat politically, and a member of the I. O. O. F., lodge No. 737, at Oakwood.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 49
  Auglaize Twp. -
FREDERICK GROSSENBACHER, a successful farmer of Auglaize township, was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Naftzger) Grossenbacher, who emigrated to this country in 1847, locating in Wyandot county, Ohio.  Here they remained for four years, when they removed to this county, and settled on the Gotlieb Overmiller farm, as it is now known.  The father entered this land and lived upon it until his death, on June 29, 1871, his wife surviving him until June 18, 1882.  At the age of twenty-two years, Frederick Grossenbacher enlisted in company K, One Hundred and Seventh Ohio volunteer infantry, and served for three yeas.  He took part in the following engagements:  Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Morris Island, Sumterville, and many skirmishes which occurred along the line of march.  He received his honorable discharge at Charleston in June, 1865, and was mustered out at Camp Cleveland.  Returning home, our subject continued to work on the farm with his father until his marriage, which occurred Oct. 1, 1874, at which time Miss Rosanna Friedly, a daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Vonbalmoog) Friedly became his wife.  The parents of Mrs. Grossenbacher were natives of Germany and Switzerland respectively.  The children born to our subject and wife were an infant, deceased, Frederick e., Emma E., Robert W., Anna M., Stella M., and Florence P., all living at home.  Mr. Grossenbacher, who is an active democrat, was elected trustee of the township two years ago.  He and family are members of the Reformed church, in which they occupy high standing.  The former owns eighty acres of fine land, of which fifty-two are improved.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 38
  Emerald Twp. -
PHILIP GUILLIAM - One of the oldest living residents at this time in Emerald township is Philip Guilliam, an enterprising agriculturist, who is a native of Prussia, born Nov. 17, 1827, the son of Lewis and Katie (Renolet) Guilliam, also of Prussia.  Our subject came to America in 1852 and located in Buffalo, where he lived for two years employed in a saw mill.  By way of the canal he came to Auglaize county, and from there went to Minnesota, spending two years in traveling, thence to Emerald township, where he located and has since lived.  He engaged in the manufacture of timber, in connection with his farming, until August, 1862, when he enlisted in company K, One Hundred Seventieth Ohio Volunteer infantry, and served faithfully until the close of the war.  He participated in the battle of Gettysburg, Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg and others, and was badly disfigured, for which he draws a pension of $8 per month.  He is the owner of forty acres of land and has the oldest house in the township, having been among the early settlers.  His marriage to Miss Katie Renolet, the daughter of Paul and Mary Renolet, on Christmas day of 1856, resulted in the birth of these children: Mary, the wife of E. Glassmeyer; Annie, wife of Carl Shockow; George, Peter, Frederick, Pet, and infant deceased, Daniel, Henry, Franklin, Alfred, Thomas and Ada Belle.  Mr. Guilliams life of probity and energetic labor has won for him the esteem and regard of his neighbors and all who come in contact with him.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 58

NOTES:


 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights