OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
Historical Atlas
Paulding County, Ohio

ILLUSTRATED
Containing Maps of Paulding County, Townships, Towns and Villages,
Compiled by O. Morrow and F. W. Bashore
ALSO
Maps of the United States and State of Ohio.
Together with a Statement of the Settlement, Growth and Prosperity of the County,
Including a Personal and Family History of Many of its Prominent Citizens.
Illustrated
Madison, Wis.:
The Western Publishing Co.
1892

  Brown Township -
CHARLES HAKES, one of the representative men of this county, was born in Huron county, Ohio, October 9, 1834, the son of Robert and Clarissa C. (Dresser) Hakes, who removed to Paulding county in 1837, locating on the Auglaize river in Brown township, in the forest, becoming one of the pioneers.  Our subject was but a child three years of age when his parents removed to this county, and here grew to manhood a farmer's boy, acquiring a common school education; upon arriving at his majority he began life empty-handed at farming, and by hard work and economy soon established himself.  Apr. 12, 1860, he married Miss Isabel G. Hankins, who was born in New Jersey, the daughter of Samuel S. and Ann P. (Gulic) Hankins, early settlers of this county.  Seven children blessed this union, viz.:  Frank A., George R., E. May, Mary A., Charles E., Clara Isabella and Sarah L.  Mr. Hakes in October, 1861, answered to the call for 75,000 three years' men, by enlisting in company F, Thirty-eighth regiment Ohio volunteer infantry, being mustered in at Nicholsville, Ky.  His company was assigned to the Fourteenth army corps, Third division of the Cumberland.  He was appointed first sergeant soon after entering the service; later he was promoted to the office of second lieutenant, participating in several hard battles, and during the battle at Mission Ridge. Nov. 25, 1863, he was shot through the body and was absent from the regiment in the hospital, from which he was discharged Sept. 24, 1864, on surgeon's certificate of disability.  He proved himself a brave soldier and a kind, indulgent officer.  Mr. Hakes returned home and resumed farming, which he followed with success until nominated and elected by the republican party to the office of county recorder, being re-elected twice, thus serving nine successive years to the entire satisfaction of the people.  That party nominated and elected him auditor of county two terms in succession.  During his official life he became thoroughly known throughout the county, and no man stands higher in the estimation of the people.  Mr. Hakes is the author of the only complete set of abstract books of Paulding county.  He has mastered the art of book keeping by his own efforts, and is often employed as an expert accountant.  He now resides on his farm, one-half mile north of Oakwood, enjoying the fruits of his earlier life.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 49
  Brown Township -
M. W. HAKES, marshal of Oakwood, was born in Charloe, Ohio, July 15, 1850, the son of Robert and Susanna C. (Kingery) Hakes, of English and German extraction.  The father was born in Cortland county, N. Y., July 3, 1811, and the mother was a native of the town of London, Marion county, Ohio, her birth having occurred Aug. 30, 1823.  Their marriage took place on the 29th of August, 1846, and the children born to them were: Jemima, wife of E. G. Daish; William (deceased); John P., of Oakwood, and M. W. Hakes.  The immediate subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, and at the age of twenty years engaged in farming, in Brown township, which he continued for two years.  He then removed to Monroe township, Putnam county, and was engaged in the pursuit of farming until 1878.  Returning to Brown township, Mr. Hakes settled upon the farm of his half-brother, Charles Hakes, where he remained four years, moving in 1882 to the village of Oakwood, where he erected a commodious dwelling house.  Mr. Hakes was elected commissioner and marshal of the town by the republicans, and he acceptably fills his office, being a man of good judgment and one well fitted for official duties.  He was married to Miss Clarine A. Hart, Aug. 16, 1868, at the residence of John Prowant, of Putnam county, Rev. Prowant performing the ceremony.  Mrs. Hakes was the daughter of William and Margaret Hart, and bore her husband these children: Frederick E., Eva B., William R. and Clarence E., who died Sept. 8, 1885.  The mother departed this life July 28, 1890, her death being caused by malarial fever and heart disease.  She was a devoted wife and mother and a lady favorably known in the community.  Mrs. Hakes was a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a lady highly respected by all who knew her.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 49
  Emerald Twp. -
WILLIAM H. HANENKRATT, a prosperous farmer and thresher, was born May 7, 1844, in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, the son of Frederick and Maria (Sweitzer) Hanenkratt, natives of Switzerland, who came to America in early life and were married in this country in 1843.  They had nine children whose names were William, Ann E. (deceased), Maurice, Benjamin (deceased), Tebo and Andrew A. (deceased).  Mr. Hanenkratt, Sr., was a fruit grower by occupation and also followed farming.  The death of his wife occurred Jan. 2, 1885.  William Hanenkratt remained with his parents until he was twenty-six years old.  Aug. 16, 1868, he married Miss Sophia, the daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Lutnon) Smith, natives of France, who died in 1866 and 1879 respectively.  Mrs. Hanenkratt was the youngest child born to these parents and her birth occurred June 24, 1848.  Her husband after his marriage located where he now resides and is the owner of 200 acres of fine land.  At present he is preparing for the erection of a large and commodious residence, and in connection with his farming has been engaged in threshing for twenty-three seasons.  He is also interested in thoroughbred sheep, and is trying to introduce the Shropshire breed, in which he takes great pride.  Mr. Hanenkratt is the father of ten children as follows:  Cora, wife of H. Deisler; Hupert H., Albert A.  (deceased Mar. 22, 1875); Willard P., Gertie, Carrie M., Ottillia, Homer W., Charles E., and Sophia A. He is a representative citizen of the township.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 58
  Auglaize Twp. -
W. H. HARDESTY, an industrious farmer of Auglaize township, was born in Allen county, Ohio, Mar. 2, 1842, the son of E. and Margaret (Hill) Hardesty, of English origin.  The mother died in 1849, and the father was again married, his wife's maiden name being Mary HendersonW. H. Hardesty received a common education and when twenty-one years of age began the struggle of life.  He joined company A, Twentieth regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry, for three months' service, and was discharged from the hospital with an almost total loss of sight.  Re-enlisting in company C, One Hundred and Fifty-first Ohio volunteer infantry for the hundred days' service, he participated in the skirmishes about Washington city.  Returning home he located in Lima and engaged in saw-milling for eighteen months.  Mr. Hardesty was married on the 29th of October, 1863, to Miss Rachel R. Greer, who bore him three children, namely: Emma B., wife of Manuel Lloyd; Joshua G., and Elijah R.  Mrs. Greer, who was the daughter of Joshua and Rebecca Greer, was born Dec. 14, 1839, and departed this life Sept. 14, 1889.  Her husband, who survives her, is a member of the Methodist church.  He is a republican in politics and a pensioner.  On account of his failing eyesight, he has retired from active work, and is superintending the improvements being placed upon his farm.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 38
  Blue Creek Twp. -
E. HARLAN was born in Columbiana county, Ohio, Oct. 24th, 1850, the son of Elwood and Rebecca (Rudisal) Harlan.  He grew to manhood in his native county and began life for himself at the age of twenty-one years, and on the 17th day of January, 1872, he was united in marriage with Miss Celestia, the daughter of John Miller.   Mrs. Harlan departed this life in September, 1873, leaving one child, Maggie C. by name (who is now the wife of F. P. Davis).  Mr. Harlan then removed to Dekalb county, Ind., where he was again united in marriage on the 30th day of December, 1875, with Miss Mary E. the daughter of Daniel and Margaret (Osborn) Hoffman.  He then engaged in saw-milling in Dekalb and Steuben counties, Ind., following this occupation for six years; at this time he removed to Paulding county, Ohio, and erected a mill on the land known as Halsey land.  This mill he operated for eight years and then removed it to his own land in section 19, Blue Creek township, Paulding county, Ohio.  Here he has been successful and his patronage is large and lucrative.  Mr. and Mrs. Harlan are the parents of two bright children, William D. and Lottie A. by name.  Mr. Harlan is one among the leading republicans in his township, and by his life of probity and industry has gained the confidence and esteem of those with whom he comes in daily contact.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43


Henry Harris
Carryall Twp. -
HENRY HARRIS, one of the enterprising and progressive citizens of Carryall township, is the son of Samuel and Mary A. (Bailey) Harris, and dates his birth from the 5th day of August, 1845.  His parents, both natives of England, emigrated to America in 1843, and located in Knox county, Ohio, where they followed farming.  Prior to coming to this county, the father had been a civil engineer, in the employment of the government.  His death occurred Feb. 2, 1875, and his widow resides in Antwerp, this county.  The early life of Henry Harris was spent in the counties of Knox and Defiance, and his preliminary education was obtained in the common schools.  Later he attended the university at Berea, Ohio, and upon finishing his course, began the pursuit of farming.  In 1856 he removed to Paulding county, locating in Crane township, where he remained until 1858.  At this time he moved to Carryall township, where he has ever since resided.  Mr. Harris was united in marriage with Miss Jennie E. Cottrel, on Christmas day, 1871, and their children are Lillian a graduate of the public schools and at present taking a collegiate course at Oberlin, Ohio; S. Lloyd, Louis C., Guy (deceased) and Bertha L.  Mrs. Harris is the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Bridge) Cottrel and was born May 26, 1854.  On May 2, 1864, Mr. Harris enlisted in company A, One Hundred and Thirty-second Ohio volunteer infantry, for 100 days, and received his discharge September 10th of the same year.  During the greater portion of his service he was in the Tenth corps of the army of the Potomac.  In 1872 Mr. Harris became interested in the Antwerp Hub & Spoke factory, of Paulding county, and at the present writing he is the president of this establishment.  As a business man he is keen and successful, and as the result of his good judgment and ability is enjoying prosperity.  HE is a republican in politics and belongs to the lodge of I. O. O. F., No. 463, and encampment 87.  With his family he attends the Presbyterian church, in which organization he has held the principal offices.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 53
  Paulding Village -
R. S. HARRIS, a popular grocer of Paulding, Ohio, was born in Rochester, N. Y., Sept. 5, 1834, the son of C. S. and Ellen (Walton) Harris.  He was educated in the public schools at Rochester, learned the carriage painter's trade, and made it a specialty for fifteen years in different parts of the country, then located in Cleveland, Ohio, and was in business there for several years.  He came to Paulding, Paulding county, Ohio, Sept. 1, 1883, and embarked in the mercantile business.  Mr. Harris has so conducted himself and his business as to give satisfaction to his friends and gain the good will of all.  He is a democrat and belongs to the Masonic fraternity and I. O. O. F.  In 1885 Mr. Harris established his present business and he has been successful in this pursuit.  He was married in 1878 to Miss Amanda M. Adkins of Kentucky, and they enjoy high social rank and the esteem of the community in which they reside. Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 70
  Blue Creek Twp. -
WILLIAM HARRIS was born in Virginia, and is the son of Charles and Abbie Harris, who, though free, were reared upon a plantation.  Mr. Harris was the seventh of twelve children, and was reared to manhood in his native state.  His father was a boatman, running from Lynchburg to Richmond, Va., and the subject of this notice assisted him on the boat.  Our subject removed from Virginia to Pike county, Ohio, and here married, Jan. 2, 1855, Miss Mary Ball, who was a native of Virginia.  Mr. Harris followed farming until February, 1864, at which time he enlisted in company G, Twenty-seventh Ohio volunteer infantry, and saw active service until the close of the war.  He received his honorable discharge at Smithville, N. C., on the 21st day of September, 1865.  Returning to his home he farmed for a while, and in 1868 removed to Paulding county, where he located in Blue Creek Township.  He now owns 200 acres of good property as the result of his hard work, and the land is well improved.  Politically, Mr. Harris is a stanch supporter of the republican party, and has held some of the minor offices of the township.  He is the father of Samantha, Victoria, Thomas, William E., Bearittear, Lizzie, Charles, John, Priscilla, Lena, Mary and Annette.  Mr. Harris is a respected member of the community in which he lives, and has many friends.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Emerald Twp. -
JOHN HASH, JR., the subject of this biography, is a well known farmer and prominent citizen of Paulding county.  His parents were John and Catherine (Himes) Hash, of Germany, and his birth occurred on the 16th of December, 1849.  He, in company with his parents, came to America in 1853, and remained with them until he had reached the years of maturity.  He was married Feb. 19, 1871, to Caroline Sultzman the widow of Christian Sultzman whose death occurred Aug. 8, 1866.  After his marriage Mr. Hash began farming for himself, and has been successful in his chosen calling.  Five children were born to this union, named Frederick W., Henry, Caroline, Mary Z. and John A.  Mr. Hash is an active democrat, a lover of fine horses and a genial friend.  They, as a family, are Lutherans in their religious belief.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 58
  Benton Twp. -
DR. JOHN HERROD. - One of the enterprising young physicians of this county is Dr. John Harrod, who dates his birth from the 4th of January, 1863.  He is the son of Morgan and Belinda (Beam) Harrod, natives of Knox county, Ohio, and was born in Allen county, Ind.  His early education was obtained in the common schools and at Taylor university, Fort Wayne, Ind.  After graduating from this institution, he taught school for five years, and in 1883 commenced the study of medicine under the direction of D. J. L. Smith, of Hoaglin, Ind.  Mr. Harrod graduated from the Eclectic institute of Cincinnati in 1887, and commenced the practice of his chosen profession the same year at Payne.  He is considered one of the leading physicians of the locality in which he resides and the future is bright before him.  Dr. Harrod was happily married to Miss Lucinda Berkhold, on Christmas day, 1889, and they have one son, named Paul.  Mrs. Harrod is the daughter of John M. Berkhold, of Benton township, Paulding county.  Politically the doctor is an adherent to the principles of the democratic party.  Fraternally he is a member of Payne lodge, No. 725, I. O. O. F.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Emerald Twp. -
DAVID HETRICK was the oldest of a family of fifteen children born to John and Susanna (Shauver) Hetrick, of Pennsylvania, who located in Richland county, Ohio, in early life.  He was born in Richland county, May 31, 1838, and made his home with his parents unitl he became of age.  He worked by the day and month until 1962, and then interested himself in the pursuit of farming.  He led to the altar Miss Mary E., the daughter of Gustave and Mahala (Wells) Skiver, and this union was blessed by the birth of these children:  Ida, the wife of W. Barcaw; Francis, Ella R., Farris (deceased), Lorenzo, Arthur, Emery and Edna.  Mr. Hetrick was the democratic trustee for his township for one term, and served the people faithfully in that position.  It is entirely proper to add in this sketch that Mr. Hetrick is a good man and a worthy citizen.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 59
  Blue Creek Twp. -
JOHN B. HOMER, a representative farmer of Blue Creek township, was born in Seneca county, Ohio, Oct. 4, 1860, the son of Peter and Margaret (Culp) Homer, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America in 1845 and located in Seneca county.  He was the youngest born of six children and attended the common schools of the neighborhood.  After leaving school he began life for himself as a tiller of the soil.  For nineteen years he operated a saw mill with good success.  In 1883 he located in Paulding county and three years later went to Jay county, Ind.  In 1886 he returned to this county and has since resided there.  Mr. Homer in a democrat, although he is not actively engaged in the politics of his party.  He was married in Logan county, Ohio, Sept. 11, 1870, to Miss Lillie B. Bliss, a native of Wyandot county, born in October, 1855.  She became the mother of seven children, as follows:  Howard H., Bertha (deceased), Frank B., Nellie B., Edward, William T. and James C.  Mr. Homer is not only an enterprising business man and thus a useful member of the community, but he is a good citizen in every sense of the word.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Blue Creek Twp. -
JUSTUS W. HUFFMAN is a native of Ohio, born in Shelby county, June 7, 1854, the son of Amos and Mary (Woodruff) Huffman.  He is the only surviving child of a family of three and his mother died when he was but six years of age.  He was left to the care of his aunt, Lydia Huffman, and she proved a mother to him.  On the 25th of March, 1875, Mr. Huffman was joined in wedlock to Miss Margaret, the daughter of David and Elizabeth (Arbogast) Latimore, of German and Irish extraction.  The offspring of this union was seven children, named Lizzie M., Hattie M., Arty G., Jessie C. (deceased), Lillian, Merrill and Tacy.  Politically, Mr. Huffman is a republican and one of the representative young men of the county.  He located upon the farm where he now lives in 1887.  He and wife are members of the United Brethren church.  The father of our subject served for eight months in the late war, and, returning home, died of injuries received while in the army.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 43
  Emerald Twp. -
JESSE HUGHES

Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 59

  Benton Twp. -
W. R. HUGHES, an extensive manufacturer of title and brick, is a native of Ohio, born in Logan county, Sept. 16, 1847, the son of W. P. and Maria (Watson) Hughes.  Mr. Hughes was raised in Logan county, remaining upon the homestead farm until twenty-one years of age.  In 1880 he came to Paulding county and purchased his present farm of eighty acres.  Four years later he organized a company consisting of himself, A. M. Bailey and W. H. Stewart, for the manufacture of tile and brick.  The partners subsequently sold their interests to R. Bartlett and Thomas Finon, who are associated with Mr. Hughes at the present time.  They are doing a prosperous business and turn out first-class work, which finds a ready sale.  Mr. Hughes was married to Mary E. McCrary, Oct. 5, 1873, and is the father of five children, named Osceolla, Corrill O., Wilkinson E., Blanche G. (deceased), and William R.  Mr. Hughes has made a substantial success of life, which few men from so humble a beginning accomplish.  He is self-made in every respect, and is one of the leading citizens in the township of his residence.  In 1865 he enlisted in company I, One Hundred and Ninety-second Ohio volunteer infantry, and served until the close of the war.  He is a member of the John M. Stabler post, No. 179, G. A. R.  The tile and brick establishment of W. R. Hughes & Co., was erected in 1884 by W. H. Hughes, A. M. Bailey and Wade H. Stewart.  The two latter gentlemen sold their interests in 1889 to Robert Bartlett and Thomas Finon.  The manufactory has a capacity of 10,000 brick and 6, 400 tile per day, and employ six hands.  They have one kiln, three doving sheds, 100x20 and 100x25, and the engine which is used is of ten-horse power.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40
  Benton Twp. -
HENRY HYMAN, the efficient ex-treasurer of Paulding county, now the genial banker and hardware merchant of Payne, Ohio, is a native of Prussia, born in Nassau on the 6th of April, 1846.  He is the son of William C. and Margaret (Upperman) Hyman, who are mentioned elsewhere in this work.  Mr. Hyman was educated in the schools of Huron county, Ohio, and was reared on the farm.  At the age of twenty-six he engaged in the manufacture of staves in Ohio and Indiana, and in 1880 located in Payne, where he embarked in the lumber trade.  Subsequently he established a hardware business and in connection with it manufactured staves.  In 1888 he was elected county treasurer on the republican ticket and filled that position with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents.  In 1871 Mr. Hyman married Miss Caroline, the daughter of George Schonebarger of Wyandot county, and they are the parents of five children, whose names are Charles, Harry, Ralph, Noble and an infant at present unnamed.  Mr. and Mrs. Hyman are members of the German Reformed church of Payne, in which organization Mr. Hyman holds the office of deacon.
Source:  Historical Atlas of Paulding Co., Ohio - Publ. 1892 - Page 40

NOTES:


 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
PAULDING COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights