OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Mahoning County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Biographies

Source:
20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio
and Representative Citizens -
Publ. Biographical Publ. Co.
Chicago, Illinois -
1907
 
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN to 1907 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  BENJAMIN F. BAILEY, one of the best-known citizens of Smith township, who has resided on his present valuable farm of 120 acres, which is situated in section 14, for considerably over a quarter of a century, was born at Lordstown, Trumbull County, Ohio, Oct. 11, 1845, and is a son of Peter and Rufina (Kistler) Bailey.
     The Bailey family came to Mahoning County from Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, the grandfather, Abraham Bailey, settling at a very early date in Austintown township, where his son, Peter, was reared.  They were of German extraction and Peter learned both the German and English languages, and later taught both German and English schools in that neighborhood.  Later he engaged for four  years in clerking, in the general store of John R. Church, at Canfield, but after his marriage he moved to Newton township, Trumbull County, where he resided for many years.  He then settled at Lordstown, which was his place of residence until his death.
     Benjamin F. Bailey was educated in the public schools of Lordstown, and resided in that place until his marriage, in January, 1870, to Sarah Kistler, who is a daughter of Daniel B. Kistler, late of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.  They have had seven children born to them, as follows:  James E., residing at Meadville, Pennsylvania, where he is a chief train dispatcher for the Erie Railroad; Charles D., residing at Mt. Union, Ohio, where he is part proprietor of the Mt. Union grist mills; George S., a residence of Alliance, who is train dispatcher for the Lake Erie, Alliance & Wheeling Railroad; Martin F., who resides at Mt. Union, where he is engaged in a mercantile business; Seymour L., residing at Rock Falls, Iowa, where he is operator and station agent for the Rock Island Railroad; Mary, who married William Armstrong, a merchant, residing at North Benton; and Collins, who is deceased.  Mr. Bailey's surviving children are remarkably well placed in life and are representative members of society in their various communities.
     After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Bailey resided for a short time in Newton township, Trumbull County, then removed to Leetonia for a few years and afterwards to the farm in Smith township, in 1878.  For two consecutive years, Mr. Bailey served as road supervisor of his district, and proved himself a capable and careful public official.  He is a liberal supporter of the public schools and for many years has been one of the leading men of this section in promoting moral measures of all kinds for the general welfare.  Personally, he is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Newton township, in which he is an elder, having held this honorable office for seven years.  Politically, he is a Democrat.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens, Publ. by Biographical Publishing Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Pages 709
  SETH LUCIAN BAILEY, a representative citizen of Coitsville township, residing on a well-improved farm of 93 acres, in section 19, was born in Coitsville township, Mahoning County, Ohio, Jan. 19, 1833, on his father's farm of several hundred acres which lay in both Mahoning and Trumbull Counties.  His parents were David and Elizabeth (Early) Bailey.
    
The paternal grandfather of Mr. Bailey, David Bailey, was born in Connecticut, and came to Ohio with his family, in 1800, taking up several hundred acres of land lying in Coitsville and Hubbard townships, in both Mahoning and Trumbull counties.  The grandfather died on his farm near Hubbard, aged about 40 years.  His son David, father of Seth L., was also born in Connecticut and was eight years old when his parents moved to Ohio.  He married Elizabeth Early, a sketch of whom will be found in this work.  There were 10 children born to this marriage, all of whom reached maturity, and seven of whom still survive.  Both parents died on the farm near Hubbard, full of years and high in the esteem of those who had known them well.
     Seth L. Bailey was reared on the home farm and obtained his education in the schools of the neighborhood before he left home and later spent one term at the High School at Pulaski, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania.  On the home farm in early manhood, he did a large amount of stock and wool-buying, and was much interested in raising stock.  When 23 years old he went to Champaign County, Illinois, where he remained on the farm for a time and then accepted a position as deputy for the county clerk of Piatt County, Illinois.  He remained in that State for three years and then went back to the home farm for two years.  After his marriage, in 1860, he moved to Sandy Lake, Mercer County, and during a residence there of nine years, he bought and sold three farms and was extensively interested in buying and selling wool and also in the oil business.  Mr. Bailey had a fine opening for business in Tennessee, about this time, but he did not accept on account of his wife's people wishing her to remain nearer the old home.  In 1870 he purchased the place on which he lives and he owns also a valuable tract of 10 acres situated about one mile west.  He has made many improvements on his land here and has a very valuable property.  He does little farming, devoting his attention to the raising of fine stock.  At one time he made a specialty of white faced cattle, known as Herefords, and he has owned some very valuable herds.  Prior to going to Illinois, he was in business for himself, buying and selling cattle and also did business for Milton Powers.  His extensive dealings made necessary many trips to New York, Chicago and other points, and he is well posted concerning all kinds of stock and their markets.
     On Mar. 8, 1860, Mr. Bailey was married to Marilla Stewart, who is a daughter of William Stewart, and they have had five children: Blanche, Inez, William Orrin, Clyde Lester, and one deceased.  The eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bailey was educated in the local schools and the Rayen High School at Youngstown, and was a successful teacher in Coitsville and Hubbard townships.  She married David Black and they have one son, LucianInez, the second daughter, was educated at Grove City and Poland and taught school in Poland and Coitsville.  She married William G. Cowden.  William Orrin, who is a farmer in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, was elected at Grove City, Mercer County, and subsequently graduated at Valparaiso College, Indiana, and for a number of  years taught school at Hazelton, Ohio.  For some time he was a bookkeeper and treasurer for Black Brothers Milling Company, at Beatrice, Nebraska.  He married Anna Moore, of Lawrence County, and they have four children: Lloyd Lester, Harold Moore, Russell Dale and Cecil.  Clyde Lester, who is a commercial traveler, representing Darling & Company, of the Union Stock Yards, Chicago, was educated at Grove City and later taught school at Thorne Hill and New Bedford.  He married Brittomarte, Roatch, who is a daughter of Col. David E. and Alice D. (Sala) Roatch.  During the Civil War, Colonel Roatch enlisted as a private, serving three months in the 19th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, subsequently re-enlisting, in 1861, in Company I, First Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he became a first lieutenant.  His next enlistment was in the 98th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, after the battle of Perryville, in which he was promoted to a captaincy, later was made major and still later, lieutenant-colonel.  He served two months on General Beatty's staff.  After the close of the war he became a prominent citizen of Carroll County, where he served two terms as sheriff.  His death occurred there in 1897.  Mr. Bailey and family belong to the Hopewell Presbyterian Church at New Bedford.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 735 - 736

Hon. Frank L. Baldwin
  HON. FRANK L. BALDWIN

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 561

  LOUIS F. BARGER, treasurer and superintendent of The Mahoning Gas Fuel Company, at Youngstown, has been a resident of this city since the spring of 1888.  He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Mr. Barger was reared and educated in his native State, studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1866.  For a few years he practiced his profession in Philadelphia and through the northwestern part of Pennsylvania.  He then became interested in the oil fields and remained more or less identified with the industries of the oil sections until April, 1888, when he came from Oil City to Youngstown, at that time assuming the duties of his present position.  During the Civil War, Mr. Barger served in both the land and sea forces of the Government.  He was a member of the expedition sent to the West Indies to annex the island of Santo Domingo, and was also with the expedition under Commodore Shuefeldt to Tehuantepec and Nicaragua, in the interests of the ship canal.
     In 1876, at Geneva, New York, Mr. Barker was married to Louise Page, and they have two children, namely: Helen Margaret, who married John Searight, residing- at New Castle, Pennsylvania; and Adele C., who resides with her parents.  Mr. Barger is a Knight Templar Mason.  He belongs to George G. Meade Post No. 1, G. A. R., of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 851
  ALMUS BEARDSLEY & SON, owners and proprietors of Dean Hill Dairy Farm, one of the largest and best equipped dairy farms in Mahoning County, consisting of 340 acres of land, situated northwest of Canfield, in Canfield township, are representative men of this section.  Almus Beardsley was born on his father's farm in Canfield township, near his present residence, in Mahoning County, Ohio, Jan. 2, 1828, and is a son of Philo and Lois (Gunn) Beardsley.
     Philo Beardsley was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, and he was a son of Philo Beardsley, who spent his life on his New England farm.  His children were:  Birdsey, Jasiah, Philo, Curtis, Almus, Agnes, Anna and Sarah, all of whom have passed away.  Curtis, Jasiah and Almus all settled in Mahoning County.  The latter made a prospecting visit to Canfield township, visiting all this locality on horseback, and after locating a claim in the green woods that then covered all the land, he returned to Connecticut and was there married to Lois Smith Gunn, who was a daughter of Chauncey Gunn.
    
After marriage, Philo Beardsley and bride, accompanied by Curtis Beardsley, left the comfortable old homestead in Connecticut, with a huge covered wagon drawn by a team of strong horses and driving a yoke of oxen, and penetrated into the deep forest where was situated the pioneer farm that was to remain their home until death.  It is probable that they lived in the wagon until the first log cabin was constructed, as many other settlers did, but the first rough house was later replaced by a larger and better one, in which Almus Beardsley was born.
     Philo Beardsley purchased 130 acres and to this he kept adding until, at the time of his death, he owned 200 acres, and he cleared the larger portion of this land himself.  He carried on general farming for many years and kept sheep and cattle.  He was one of the founders of the cheese industry in this section, and devoted much attention to the production of fine cheese and butter.  His dairy was one of the first that was successfully operated in this neighborhood.  His first wife died after the birth of 12 children, and Mr. Beardsley was married (second) to Mary Smith.  The children were all born to the first union and were as follows:  Chauncy, deceased; Daniel, deceased; Mary, deceased; Birdsey; Mary (2); Almus; Frederick, deceased; Louis, deceased; Kezelia; Keturah, deceased; Philo A.; and a babe, deceased.  Mr. Beardsley was left a widower a second time.  He lived until an aged man.
     Almus Beardsley was reared on the home farm and had but few educational opportunities, attending an old stone school-house in the neighborhood for a short time.  The study of his grammar book for a half day convinced him that he liked better to drive horses than to attend school.  There was plenty of work to do on the home farm and there was a great abundance of everything for material comfort and Mr. Beardsley made no hard effort to save his money before he was 25 years old.  Wages were not very high in those days and he has sheared sheep for three cents a head.  When he was about 21 years of age he had his first experience away from home.  An Irish drover wished his assistance to drive sheep from Canfield township to Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  The outward trip took considerable time and the walking was not always good, but the drovers delivered the sheep safely and on their return journey made the trip from Harrisburg to Pittsburg, in five days.  Mr. Beardsley was paid at the rate of $1 for every 40 miles.
     After his marriage, in 1853, Mr. Beardsley rented the old home farm from his father for 11 years, although he already owned 27 acres which he had purchased from Mr. Wadsworth and to which he kept adding as opportunity offered.  His residence tract of 40 acres he subsequently bought of J. L. Caldwell, and, at the time of purchase, there stood an old brick house on the place.  This residence did not agree with Mr. Beardsley's ideas of improvement and he tore it down and in place erected his handsome eight-room brick home which is both comfortable and attractive, and he also has added large barns and other necessary buildings to provide for both his agricultural operations and his dairying.  He has spent many hundreds of dollars in making these admirable improvements.  He has two silos, has put stone foundations under his buildings and has done a large amount of tiling.  Although he has been a very successful farmer, he has made the most of his ample fortune in cattle and has done especially well with sheep.  For the past 15 years he has been associated with his son in a retail dairy business, the milk, cream and butter from the Dean Hill Dairy Farm commanding a high price at Youngstown.  Mr. Beardsley has never lost his youthful interest in horses, and for years has made a specialty of raising Shetland ponies which are disposed of all over the country.
     On Sept. 26, 1854, Mr. Beardsley was married to Mary P. Dean, who is a daughter of Hiram and Ruby (Mason) Dean, and they have had the following children: Dock, who died at the age of two years; Frederick, who died aged two years; Ruby, deceased, who was the wife of Ewing Gault, residing in Jackson township; Sarah, who married Willis Wilson, who is a mail carrier at Canfield, has three children, Wilbur, Earl and Pearl; Ensign, residing in Green township, married Flora Stewart, and they have four children, Daniel, Ruby, Noble and Almus; and Hiram, who is associated with his father in the management and operation of the Dean Hill Dairy Farm.
     Mr. Bearsley and family belong to the Christian Church, in which he is a deacon.  In politics, he is identified with the Republican party, and on its ticket has been elected road supervisor, in which office he served with efficiency.  He is a member of the Grange at Canfield.
20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 783
  ENSIGN N. BEARDSLEY, residing on his valuable farm of 133 acres, situated in section 24, Green township, is a successful farmer and dairyman and is also a representative citizen of this neighborhood.  Mr. Beardsley was born in Canfield township, Mahoning County, Ohio, Oct. 2, 1873, and is a son of Almus and Mary P. (Dean) Beardsley, the latter of whom died Dec. 5, 1905.
     The Beardsley family is of English extraction and the founders in America came to New England in colonial days.  From there the sons and daughters in succeeding generations have spread through many states, the first one coming to this section of Ohio being Captain Philo Beardsley, the grandfather of Ensign N.  He was a native of Connecticut and was a very early settler in Canfield Township, where his son Almus was born Jan. 2, 1829.  The latter is one of the old and substantial citizens of that township.  He was one of the early encouragers of the Grange movement and has been identified with the development of other interests.  In politics he is a Republican.
     Ensign N. Beardsley was reared in Canfield township and educated in the public schools and the Northeastern Ohio Normal College at Canfield.  He was also a student for a short period in the agricultural department of the Ohio State University at Columbus.  His one surviving brother, Hiram J., farming in Canfield township, and his one sister, Sarah T., who married W. C. Wilson residing at Canfield, also enjoyed excellent educational advantages.  Mr. Beardsley is considered a very capable farmer and an equally successful dairyman.  In the latter industry he has well-fitted quarters and conducts his business along modern lines.
     On May 6, 1895, Mr. Beardsley was married to Flora Stewart, who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, and is a daughter of Josiah Stewart, late of Franklin Square, Ohio, Mr. and Mrs. Beardsley have had eight children, the four surviving being: Daniel S., Ruby, Noble W. and Almus L.  Mr. Beardsley is a friend of education, and his children will have many advantages.  In politics he votes generally with the Republican party, but claims a right to act independently when his judgment urges him to do so.
     Mr. Beardsley has long been a member of Greenford Grange No. 1085, Patrons of Husbandry, of which he is now master, and is always ready to take part in movements looking to the development for better agricultural conditions.  He is a member of the Disciples Church at Greenford.
20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 863
  HIRAM JOHN BEARDSLEY, township trustee of Canfield township and manager of the Dean Hill Dairy Farm, was born in Canfield township, Mahoning County, Ohio, Aug. 3, 1878.  After completing a preparatory course at the Canfield Union School, he attended the Northeastern Ohio Normal University at Canfield, and was graduated in the scientific course in 1897.  He has lived on the home farm all his life and given intelligent attention to the management of its varied interests.  The Dean Hill Dairy Farm is known all over this section and its fancy creamery butter finds ready sale, the output being over 10,000 pounds annually.  There is a record showing that 4,368 cows were milked here in four months.  The dairy now has a fine herd of choice cows and on the farm there are some 70 head of cattle and 60 head of sheep.  The farm raises and sells Jersey cattle, Berkshire hogs, Shetland ponies and Shropshire sheep.  Hiram John Beardsley is agent for the Cleveland Dryer Company's fertilizers and the Perfection Spring Lock Wire Fencing.
     On June 8, 1903, Mr. Beardsley was married to Ellen Zieger, who is a daughter of John and Clara (Martin) Zieger, and they have one son, Ward Dean.  Politically, Mr. Beardsley, like his father, is a Republican, and was first elected township trustee in 1900, and was re-elected in 1905.  He is a member of the Canfield Grange.
20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 784

Lloyd Booth
  LLOYD BOOTH

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 579

  JOHN BRENNER, president of the John Brenner Jewelry Company, at Youngstown, established this business and conducted it alone for 27 years, and enjoys the distinction of being the oldest continuous business man on Federal street.  Mr. Brenner was born in Europe and was 14 years of age when he accompanied his parents to Youngstown, Ohio.
     Mr. Brenner entered the jewelry store of Mr. Bakody, in this city, where he learned the jewelry business, remaining with him for five years, engaging then in business for himself, beginning in a small room of 24 feet dimensions, on Federal street.  This business has expanded until it occupies the present commodious quarters on West Federal street.  In 1904, Mr. Brenner had his business incorporated, under the laws of Ohio, as the John Brenner Jewelry Company, with a capital stock of $20,000.  The officers are: John Brenner, president, Conrad Brenner, vice president, and Carl Brenner, secretary and treasurer.  A general business is done in diamonds, watches and all kinds of jewelry, a specialty being made of diamonds.  The house stands very high in the trade and they are rated as reliable, first class men of business. Mr. Brenner is also president of the Youngstown Cattle Company, which is extensively interested in the growing of cattle and fruit in Cuba, where they own a large amount of land.  In the Youngstown Cattle Company he has as associate officers, F. W. Young, of Mineral Ridge, as vice president, and Albert H. Buehrle, as secretary and treasurer.  Since its organization, Mr. Brenner has been president of the Masonic Temple Company.
     In 1879 Mr. Brenner was married to Mary Wellendorf, of New Castle, Pennsylvania, and they have one daughter, Irma who is the wife of B. Frank Thomas, of J. R. Thomas Sons.  The family belongs to the First Reformed Church, in which Mr. Brenner has been an elder for many years.  Fraternally, Mr. Brenner is a 32nd degree Mason and has been treasurer of Western Star Lodge for 12 years.  He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, belonging to the committees on streets and membership.  He is a man of great public spirit, energy and enterprise and stands as a representative business man of this city.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 763
  ENSIGN N. BROWN, attorney-at-law, at Youngstown, with law office in the Maloney block on Wick avenue, was born in 1854, at Canfield, in Mahoning County, Ohio,a and is a son of Richard and Thalia F. (Newton) Brown.
     Richard Brown
, born in Derbyshire, England, was a son of Captain John Brown, an officer in the English army, and came to America about 1845. He married Thalia F. Newton, a daughter of Hon. Eben Newton, who settled in Mahoning County in 181 5, and who lived his whole life at Canfield, with the exception of a few years during which he practiced law at Cincinnati.  He was the first judge of Mahoning County, was a member of the state senate and in 1852 was elected a member of congress from this district.  Some time after 1860 he served again as a member of the Ohio state senate.
     Ensign N. Brown was an infant when he was taken to New York city, where he \vas carefully reared and educated, his father being a merchant there.  In 1878 he returned to Canfield, called there to look after his grandfather's interests, and, in accordance with the wishes of the aged jurist, he entered upon the study of law in the office of Judges Van Hyning and Johnston. In 1880 he was admitted to the bar at Columbus, and then located at Youngstown, where he has gained a prominent position in the profession. He is a member of the Law Library Association.
     In 1876 Mr. Brown was married to Jeanette Cooper, of New York City, and they have two daughters, Genevieve Newton and Bessie HuntMr. Brown has always taken a good citizen's interest in politics, but has never consented to be a candidate for office.  He is one of the leading Masons of the city, having been identified with the fraternity for thirty years, and is past master of the Blue Lodge. He is a member of St. John's Church.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page
  HARVEY O. BROWN, general merchant at New Springfield, is one of the leading men of this place, where he has been established in business since 1896.  He was born in Springfield township, Mahoning County, Ohio, July 28, 1871, and is a son of Jeremiah and Sophia (Miller) Brown.
     Harvey O. Brown
was reared on his father's farm and in boyhood attended the district schools.  Later he went to school in Canfield and then engaged in teaching in Mahoning County, for four years.  He also took a commercial course in Duffy's Business College, at Pittsburg, after which he went to New Cumberland, West Virginia, where he worked for one year in a pottery.  After his return to Springfield township he taught school for two more years and then embarked in his present enterprise at New Springfield.  Mr. Brownhas an immense store, one that would do credit in every way to a large city and does an approximitely large business.  He began with quarters but one-third the size of his present commodious two-story building, the latter of which he erected in 1905, forced to do so by his rapidly increasing trade.  Here he has 55 to 60 feet on the second floor, while in the rear he has a store room for farm machinery which gives 60 by 40 feet of space and in addition he has a large warehouse.  All this space is needed to accommodate his large and varied stock of goods, which include dry goods, groceries, hardware, farm implements, buggies, wagons, paints and oils, in fact about everything a rich surrounding agricultural community requires and a critical town taste demands. He runs a delivery wagon and in addition to his own services, requires the assistance of three capable clerks.
     On Aug. 25, 1898, Mr. Brown was married to Jennie Rinkenberger, who was born on a farm in Springfield township, one-half mile from New Springfield.  Her father, William Rinkenberger, resides with Mr. and Mrs. Brown. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have five children, namely: Harvey Guy, aged seven years; Helen, aged five years; Pauline, aged three years, and Burton Jeremiah and Elbert William, twin sons.
     Mr. Brown is identified with the Demo party.  For four years he was township clerk and has served two years as school director.
He is treasurer of the New Springfield Butter Manufacturing Company, and is one of its directors. His fraternal connection |is with the Knights of Pythias, being a member of Manitou Lodge, No. 383, at North Lima.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page
  JEREMIAH H. BROWN, a retired citizen of New Middletown, for many years was a prominent agriculturist of Springfield township, and resided on his well-improved farm of 105-1/2 acres.  He was born Mar. 24, 1834, in Springfield township, Mahoning County, Ohio, and is a son of David and Hannah (Flaucher) Brown.
     The parents of Mr. Brown came to Ohio from Pennsylvania, the father acquiring 80 acres of land in Springfield township, on which he lived for many years prior to moving to Grundy County, Iowa, where both he and his wife died.  They had the following children: a babe that died in infancy; Nancy, who married Isaac Snyder, residing in Kansas; Jeremiah; Eli, residing in Grundy County, Iowa; Leah, deceased; and Manassas, residing at Devil's Lake, North Dakota.  In politics, David Brown was a Democrat.  He was a consistent member of the German Baptist Church.
     Jeremiah Brown remained at home until he was years of age, obtaining his education in the common schools of his neighborhood and securing; agricultural training; on his father's land.  He worked for himself for some two years prior to his marriage and then settled on a farm which consisted of 60 acres, the buildings standing in Springfield township but a part of the land being in Pennsylvania.  He operated that farm for six years and then came to the farm on which he lived before moving into New Middletown in 1896.  He made many improvements on his place, remodeled the buildings and introduced modern methods of farming.
     Mr. Brown was married ( first ) to Sophia Miller, and they had three children, namely: Valentine, residing at St. Louis, has two children, Dale and Nora; Harvey O., residing at New Springfield, and Francis, residing in California.  On Apr. 4, 1894, Mr. Brown was married (second) to Rebecca Ilgenfritz, who was born in Springfield township, and is a daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Miller) Ilgenfritz.
     Mr. Brown has been a life-long Democrat, but has never been willing to accept public office.  He is a member of the Lutheran Church.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 782

James H. Brown
  JOSEPH HENRY BROWN, one of the earliest iron manufacturers in the Mahoning valley, was born of English parentage at Glamorganshire, Wales, July 24, 1810.  He was cradled in the iron business, his father and father having been iron manufacturers.  At the age of four he was brought to this country by his parents, who settled in Maryland.  His father, John Brown, erected the Ellicott iron and copper mills near Baltimore.  Here, at an early age, Mr. Brown began to learn the iron business with his father.  His educational advantages being limited, he thirsted for knowledge.  A prominent family gave him access to their extensive library, to the kindness of whom he often after referred as owning much of the success of his life.  Diligently studying at night, possessed of a bight mind and retentive memory, he acquired a good education.  According to an old-time custom, his father claimed his wages until he became of age.  On this account when 20 years old, he left home and sought employment in the iron mills at Montalto, Pennsylvania.  Here he showed such a knowledge of the business that when his father came after him, his employer offered the young man such great inducements that his father allowed him to remain.  He was soon after made manager of the works.  From Montalto he went to superintend the works at Antietam, which his father had built, and later to superintend the mills at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, conducting them all in a most profitable manner.
     In January, 1839, Mr. James D. White of New Castle, Pennsylvania, sent for him to lay the foundation and superintend the construction of the first iron works there.  At the death of Mr. White he leased and ran the null very successfully until it was sold to A. L. Crawford & Company, Mr. Brown purchasing an interest.  The practical management of the concern was left with him.  The partnership being successful, at the end of four years he erected another mill in company with Joseph Higgs and Edward Thomas.  This establishment was considered one of the finest plants in the states.  Additional capital being necessary, three more partners were admitted.  Mr. Brown managed the mechanical portion in a profitable manner, but through the dishonesty of one of the new partners, the financial management was a failure.  About this time the mill burned down and Mr. Brown found himself, after sixteen years of unceasing labor, poor and penniless.  In desperation he, with his younger brother, Richard, drove over to Youngstown, then a village of 2,800 inhabitants, to see if they could not negotiate for the purchase of Wick Brothers' old mill, and move it over to New Castle.  This was in 1855.  The mill had not been running for years, was rusted and neglected, requiring much labor and money to put in order.  The brothers, however, decided to buy it if they could.  "We haven't a cent." they said, "but we know how to make iron."  Their reputation had gone before them, and they soon came to terms with the owners, who agreed to sell the mill on time if they would let it remain in Youngstown.  This they consented to do.  A partnership was formed, called Brown, Bonnell & Company, consisting of Joseph and his brothers Richard, Nathaniel and Thomas Brown and William Bonnell, all of whom had been associated together in the iron business in New Castle, and James Westerman of Youngstown.  The purchasers were to pay $100,000, $25,000 each year for four years.  Repairs were at once begun and forty men with their families moved over from New Castle by stage and canal to work in the mill.  At first the new firm had an exceedingly hard time to keep in business.  It was only by indomitable perseverance that the mill was kept ging.  Youngstown was practically dead then and the people in their joy at having something to do, willingly put up with many inconveniences.  The workmen received no cash, but were paid by the firm's orders on a local store, in which the former owners of the mill were interested.  In spite of all these difficulties, the energetic firm succeeded in paying for the plant in the time specified.  Their motto was "Good iron and fair dealing."  Their success was phenomenal, so that these mills soon became the second largest exclusive iron plant in America and the names of its founders will go down to posterity as the architects and builders of the city's fortunes.  Mr. Brown was the inventor of a number of improvements in the making of iron, which he never patented.  One of them was the method of manufacturing nails with the fiber of the iron running lengthwise instead of across the nails.  This has been the universal way of making cut nails ever since.  He also built one of the first two close-top blast furnaces in this country (not knowing the other was under construction), reconverting blast furnace practice in this country.  In 1875 Mr. Brown, in company with Mr. William Bonnell of Youngstown, and Messrs. Samuel, George W. and Charles B. Hale and Joseph T. Torrence, of Chicago, built the Joseph H. Brown iron and steel works of South Chicago, afterwards sold to the Calumet Iron and Steel Company.
     Mr. Brown was one of the founders of the merchant iron firm of "Cleveland Brown & Company," of Cleveland, Ohio, also one of the founders and one of the early presidents of the Mahoning National Bank and a director of the First National Bank of Youngstown.  He was the president of the Brown-Bonnell Company from its beginning until the sale of his interest to Herbert Ayer of Chicago in 1879.  In political matters he took no important part, but held that it was the duty of every good citizen to always cast his vote.  A man of large brain, well informed on political economy, he was asked to a conference of leading statesmen and frequently was called before the ways and means committee at Washington to give his views.  During his residence at Chicago he was president of the "Tarriff League of America."  After the sale of the Joseph H. Brown Iron and Steel Works at Chicago, Mr. Brown, with his family, returned to Youngstown, at the age of 72, much broken in health.  The death of his wife in June, 1886, was a severe blow to him, and contributed largely to hasten his demise a few months later, Nov. 17, 1886.  He was a member of the Trinity M. E. Church and contributed largely to its support, as he did to all charitable and benevolent institutions in the city, doing so as far as possible without publicity, and no worthy suppliant was ever turned away.
     In 1832 he was married to Miss Susanna Oellig, a daughter of Dr. John Oellig, a prominent physician of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania.  They had twelve children, four of whom died in infancy.  The others are:  Mrs. Edwin J. Warner, Mrs. Cyrus E. Felton, J. Oellig Brown, Edmond L. Brown, Ella Brown, Emily Brown, Mrs. William Powers and Joseph H. Brown, Jr.  The last two are now deceased.
     He was a most affectionate husband and indulgent father, to his friends cordial, generous and pleasant.  His face glowed with benevolence and good cheer.  A man of great business sagacity, high-minded and honorable, of stubborn integrity, his word was his bond.  A portrait of this estimable citizen is published in connection with this article.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 607

Richard Brown
RICHARD BROWN, pioneer iron manufacturer, whose portrait appears on a neighboring page of this volume, was the son of John and Elizabeth (Swain) Brown, natives of England.  He came from a long line of Christian ancestry.  His maternal grandfather was a Wesleyan clergyman, his great-uncle, Joseph Swain, a celebrated Baptist clergyman and composer of the Walworth hymns.  Of his mother, Bishop Scott said, "I have seldom, if ever, seen so ripe a Christian."
     Mr. Brown inherited his aptitude for the iron business from his father and grandfather who had the reputation of making the best iron in Wales.  His father came to this country in 1814, and was one of the pioneer iron manufacturers of America.  Among the plants of his erection the first was at Ellicott Mills, Maryland, where his son Richard was born Nov. 27, 1824.  Mr. Brown received such advantages of education as the local schools of that time afforded.
     When 21 years of age he went to New Castle, Pennsylvania, to join his elder brothers Joseph and Nathaniel who were engaged in the iron business there.  His life from that time on is more interesting than many a story book.  He arrived in New Castle in almost the same condition as that in which Benjamin Franklin entered Philadelphia.  All his earthly possessions consisted of a church letter (which he presented the following Sunday), one hundred dollars in bank notes, and some small change.  Unfortunately, the bank on which the notes were drawn had just failed and he had nothing left but the small change with which to begin life.  He often laughingly asserted that it was the first Sunday in New Castle that his fortunes began because it was then at Sunday-school where he first saw and fell in love with his wife.
     He received a position at the mills as roll turner, at which he earned $1.25 a day by working long hours.  In December, he was taken ill with fever.  It was a year before he could work again.  His illness left him not only weak and out of work but deeply in debt for food and medicine.  Doubtless many a man of less moral strength and courage would have given up in despair.  But out of these trials he emerged all the more determined and hopeful.  He secured a position in Orizaba rolling mill of which his brother Joseph was a partner and manager.  He was accustomed to begin work at five in the morning and work until four in the afternoon at the rolls, and from four until six he worked at roll turning, clearing $3.00 a day, and to earn a little extra money he frequently worked after supper until bed time.
     On Dec. 27, 1849, Mr. Brown was married to Henrietta A. Chenoweth, and they went to England on their wedding tour.  Mr. Brown's purpose was to visit the iron mills of Wales.  The trip from New Castle to New York was in those days a great undertaking.  The young couple were almost a week in reaching Philadelphia, part by stage and canal boat and over the mountains by inclined plane.  From Philadelphia to New York they took the railway train, which required a full half day to accomplish the trip.  This was considered dangerous speed and those who traveled it were thought to be risking life and limb.  Steamboats were considered dangerous experiments and the people had not yet recovered from the excitement of the loss of the steamship President not long before.  When Mr. Brown reached New York with a letter of introduction to Horace Greely he asked his opinion of the comparative safety of the steamship
and sailing vessel.  At Mr. Greely's advice they took the latter.  The trip over was accomplished in 18 days and the return in 30. 
     In 1855 the iron works in New Castle burned down and Mr. Brown and his brother lost all they had.  With a determination that makes heroes of men they sought at once a new enterprise.  Hearing of an abandoned mill at Youngstown, Ohio, Richard and his brother Joseph negotiated for the purchase.  A company was formed including the Brown BrothersMr. Wiliam Bonell and Mr. James Westerman.  With credit and character for their only capital, they gave their notes for $100,000.  With rigid economy and great industry they paid for it in four years.  That they were thenceforth in the highest degree successful is attested by the extensive plant founded by them, called Brown, Bonnell & Company, who products soon became known in all markets of the world. In fact it is the cornerstone upon which has been reared the superstructure of Youngstown's growth and prosperity.
     During the great growth of Youngstown Mr. Brown was interested in many of its manufacturing enterprises.  He retired from business in 1891 and spent his winters at his country residence in Florida.  His blissful married life lasted for over 50 years.  He and his wife celebrated, their golden wedding at Youngstown in the company of 25 nieces and nephews, three of whom were members of his household.  Mr. and Mrs. Brown had no children but had a strong attachment for them, and were called Uncle Richard and Aunt Hetty by almost the entire community.
     Mr. Brown was a most successful superintendent of Trinity M. E. Sunday-school for over 20 years.  He was the leading figure in Trinity Church and it was largely through his efforts and generosity that the present handsome stone edifice was made possible.  In order to help humanity he was identified for years with all the best things in Youngstown.  He has given time, thought, money and influence to practically every good movement.  He was a most liberal giver to each of the five Methodist Episcopal Churches, the public library and Young Men's Christian Association.  For several years before his death he was president of the Board of Trustees of Mount Union College up to which time his interest towards this institution never ceased.  He was a staunch and diligent worker in the temperance cause and in every way possible he sought to elevate and help humanity.  Among his beautiful traits of character which was apparent to all who knew him, was his cheerful view of life and human nature.  He carried a happy heart and more sunshine fell into other lives when he passed by.  On one time an abused confidence seemed destined to bring financial disaster to him when his day for labor was passed.  His attorney said of him: "I had not then nor have I since seen such quiet fortitude in the midst of such adverse surroundings.  I learned then to know why he could have led so noble and good a life.  His Maker had so fashioned him that ot be good and help were but the manifestations of his nature."  At the time of his demise an editorial said "In the death of Richard Brown, Youngstown loses a great power for good.  He was an altruist by nature, and was one of the few men who never allowed anything to dull or blunt his conscience.  He never became pessimistic and in spite of prosperity he never became dazed by the glitter of gold.  He was superior to his environments and lived and died a true Christian.  For years the name of Richard Brown had been synonymous in Youngstown with goodness, kindliness and generosity.  He gave not because of ostentation or for publicity, but through a sense of duty and out of the innate openness of his heart.  Such men as Richard Brown are of more vital importance to a community than fine residences, monuments of art, mills and furnaces, and great bank accounts.
     "He will live long in the memory of the people, not because he made a success in life from a worldly standpoint, not because he acquired wealth, but because he lived without guile, and tried, by the best of his ability to make all with whom he came in contact happy and hopeful."  
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 585

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MAHONING COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights