OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Mahoning County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Biographies

Source:
20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio
and Representative Citizens -
Publ. Biographical Publ. Co.
Chicago, Illinois -
1907
 
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN to 1907 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  DAVID MACKEY

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 723

  JAMES MACKEY, one of Youngstown's leading citizens, whose professional work as a surveyor has kept his name before the public for many years, was born at Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio, Feb. 7, 1829, and he is a son of James and Margaret (Early) Mackey.
    
As the name indicates, the Mackeys originated in the Highlands of Scotland, and the founder of James Mackey, who settled in Pennsylvania and there reared a family.  James Mackey, Sr., father of James, was born in 1776, in Chester County, Pennsylvania, and in 1805 he came to Ohio and settled in that part of Trumbull County which later became Mahoning County.  He was a man of education, a mathematician and a surveyor, and with other enterprises, he became associated with Robert Montgomery in building of one of the first furnaces on Yellow Creek.  He kept the accounts of the firm until the beginning of the war of 1812, when he joined the Fourth division of Ohio militia, in which he was paymaster and also adjutant, and was accorded the rank of major, by which title he was subsequently known.
     In 1816 Major Mackey entered into partnership with Colonel William Rayen in a mercantile business at Youngstown, which continued for several years.  Prior to 1823, when he was married, Major Mackey purchased a large tract of land northeast of the village, and on this he settled, making it his home during the remainder of his life, and carrying on farming and stock-raising.  His death occurred Aug. 15, 1844, when he was 68 years old.  During the whole of his active life he had done surveying, and his son's proficiency as a civil engineer may be a direct heritage from the father.  Sept. 10, 1823, he married Margaret Early, who survived until May 14, 1870.  Her parents, Thomas and Jane Early, who were born in Ireland, settled in Coitsville township, Mahoning County, Ohio.  Major Mackey and wife had eight children, three of whom died in childhood.  There are but two survivors, namely: James and his youngest sister, Letitia, who is the wife of Andrew Kirk.
     Major Mackey
was the type of pioneer whose value to a community cannot be over-estimated.  He served as township clerk, county commissioner, a member of the legislature and treasurer of Trumbull County, while in his immediate neighborhood there was no necessity to elect or appoint by law, for he was naturally fitted to be a leader and safe adviser.
     James Mackey, Jr., was afforded common school and academic training before he entered the Cleveland University.  Here he prepared himself for the work for which he felt himself especially fitted, and proved himself so competent and accurate, that he had filled but a few contracts before he was invited to become a member of a commission made up of five representative engineers and surveyors of Ohio and Pennsylvania, to establish for all time the boundary line between the states.  Mr. Mackey has probably had as much experience in the surveying of coal lands and mines as any man in his profession, his work being marked with the certainty and accuracy which precluded all kinds of litigation.  About  1875 he began also to survey and plat town sites and his work in this line has been vast.  With his brothers, the late David and Robert Mackey, he promoted and constructed the first street railroad in Youngstown, the old horse-car line, which was then an enthusiastically welcomed public utility.  Of this enterprise he served for seven years as president, when the pressure of professional work made it seem advisable that he resign this office, as well as curtail his activities in a number of other directions.
     Mr. Mackey, like other members of his family, has always been identified with the Democratic party, but he has never been convinced that his duty as a good citizen necessitates his acceptance of public office.  Neither has he accepted many positions on directing boards of business or other enterprises, his tastes lying more in the direction of a private life and close attention to his professional work.  Large demands have come to him in this line, and these he has met with the efficiency which has made his name one of note in civil engineering all over the state.  He spent upwards of fifty-three years in and about Youngstown in his profession.
     On Oct. 30, 1862, Mr. Mackey was married to Mary H. Ruggles, who was born in Canfield, Ohio, a daughter of Azor and Adeline M. Ruggles.  Mr. and Mrs. Mackey have had five children, namely: Robert M., who died in infancy, Charles L., Grace, Margaret H. and Nellie.  The beautiful family home, which is the center of much social life, is situated just east of the city limits, no McGuffey street.  Mr. and Mrs. Mackey are members of the Episcopal Church, worshipping with the congregation at St. John's, of which Mr. Mackey was a member of the vestry for a number of years.
     Mr. Mackey was a member of the original board of trustees of the Rayen School, and after serving continually for twenty years, he refused to accept the position longer on account of his professional duties.  His portrait is published on a neighboring page of this volume.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 511
 HON. ROBERT MACKEY

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 501

  HON. HUGH ALEXANDER MANCHESTER

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 593

  JOSEPH G. McCARTNEY

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page  623

GEORGE M. McCLURE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 629

 

ROBERT McCURDY.  For more than a quarter of a century the late Robert McCurdy was the president of the First National Bank of Youngstown, one of the most important institutions of northern Ohio.  He was much more - an honorable, upright citizen, a man of sterling worth in every relation of life, and a stanch supporter of everything that related to the well-being of the city of Youngstown.  He was born at Castle Finn, county Donegal, Ireland, June 24, 1842, and was the son of Dr. Robert McCurdy, who came to America when Robert Jr., was a child of 11 months.  Settling on a small farm near Crab Creek, Mahoning County, Ohio, he practiced his profession as opportunity offered, and also cultivated his land, in order to provide for the needs of his eight children.  Of these still three survive, namely: Dr. John McCurdy, Mrs. Mary Bentley and Samuel D. McCurdy.
     Robert McCurdy
had very little of what may be termed a helpful childhood.  His surroundings were not those to encourage leisure as soon as he became self-supporting, and probably he was earning his own keep in the world when other lads, not much better off, were scarcely thinking about it.  In after years Mr. McCurdy was disposed to look upon his early trials as good discipline, and it is certain that in his case habits of industry and economy were so early implanted that they greatly assisted him through life.   From the public schools he sought self-supporting work in the neighborhood, and, in August, 1861, he accepted a position in the old Mahoning County Bank.  While he retained his humble place, he performed its duties with the same thoroughness that later characterized his management of the First National Bank.
     In becoming even a humble accessory to an important business, a certain standing is assured, and so well did Robert perform the duties assigned him that he attracted the attention of his employers, among whom were some of Youngstown's most eminent citizens.  Before Long a clerkship was found for him when the First National Bank was organized on June 2, 1863.  On June 20, 1865, he was made cashier, in which position he served with such ability and fidelity that when changes came about in the management of the bank, early in 1877, Mr. McCurdy was elected president, which office he served continuously from that time until his death.  During this period, covering some twenty-seven years, Mr. McCurdy gained for the bank a reputation which increased its usefulness and added materially to its strength.
     Although Mr. McCurdy's primary business was banking, he was on numerous occasions interested, for a short time, in some of the city's various important industries, and had a few tentative interests at other points.  He was, however, a citizen devoted to Youngstown and took more interest in forwarding her enterprises than in investing elsewhere, however flattering the outlook might seem.
     During the Civil War Mr. McCurdy was an active supporter of the Government.  At its outbreak he enlisted as a member of the 155th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served three months in Virginia before he was stricken with typhoid fever, which resulted in his being discharged for disability.  He was always a stanch supporter of the Republican party, and took an active part in its campaign work.  On many occasions he served as a delegate to various important conventions.
     On Sept. 19, 1878, Mr. McCurdy was married to Isabella Porter, a daughter of the late William Porter.  Mrs. McCurdy and their three children still survive.  They had two daughters, Isabel and Florence, and a son, Robert H.  The eldest daughter, Isabell, is the wife of J. L. Grandin, a business man of Boston, Massachusetts.  Mrs. McCurdy resides in one of Youngstown's finest residences at No. 726 Wick avenue.
     From early manhood Mr. McCurdy was a consistent member of the First Presbyterian Church of Youngstown, serving its needs in many capacities - as Sunday school teacher, as clerk of the session and as elder for the twenty-six years preceding his death.  In recalling Mr. McCurdy's many spheres of usefulness, his fellow citizens must always associate his memory with the Young Men's Christian Association, the Reuben McMillan Public Library Association, and the Rayen School.  In 1869 Mr. McCurdy became a member of the first committee that met to organize a branch of the Young men's Christian Association.  Throughout the remainder of his life never did he lose his enthusiastic interest in the organization, over which he presided as president for five consecutive years.  At the time of his decease, Mr. McCurdy was one of the trustees of the Reuben McMillen Public Library Association and it was mainly through his efforts that Youngstown acquired the fine library that it now possesses.  He served from 1877 as one of the trustees of the Rayen School and was continually concerned in its improvement and in the maintenance of the high school standard for which it is noted.  He was vitally interested in many other noble and uplifting agencies in his city and gave to them the best that was in him.
     Mr. McCurdy was most charitably inclined, and never turned a deaf ear to an appeal on behalf of a worthy cause.  His privates charities were known only to those closest to him; the amounts so expended in relieving want and destitution were large indeed, and constituted the greater part of his benefactions.  When contributions were solicited for the help of those who had been the victims of any public calamity, his name invariably headed the list with the largest amount.
     Personally Mr. McCurdy attached others to himself irresistibly.  He commanded admiration for his fearless outlook on life and his untiring, energetic and thoroughly sincere struggle against anything that interfered with his convictions of right.  He was one who was always known as a dependable man, one who could never be swayed from the right course by sophistry or by an appeal to his personal feelings.  All those who knew him were not his friends, because he was not in sympathy with much that he found in the mass of his fellow citizens, but none could be found who did not entirely respect him.  His death occurred Mar. 25, 1904, at his home in Youngstown, Ohio, after an illness of two years from Bright's disease.  A portrait of this admirable citizen appears in connection with this article.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 436

  WILLIAM BONNELL McELEVEY, dealer in real estate, stocks and bonds and insurance, with quarters in the Dollar Bank building, at Youngstown, is one of the city's representative business men.  He was born in 1866, at New Castle, Pennsylvania, and was 15 years of age when he came to Youngstown.
     Mr. McElevey was educated at the public schools and was a student in the Rayen School.  During the early years of his business life he was in the iron trade for a time and for five years was assistant superintendent of the Mahoning Valley Iron Company.  He then went to Chicago as secretary and treasurer of the Lake Side Nail Company, at Hammond, Indiana, and later was a broker in coal, coke and pig iron.  He spent ten busy business years in Chicago and then left that great metropolis and returned to Youngstown.  Here he embarked in a general insurance and real estate business.  HE deals also in stocks and bonds and handles safe investments.  In his insurance risks he represents these companies; North British and Mercantile, of New York; the Girard, of Philadelphia; the New Brunswick, of New Brunswick, New Jersey; the Providence Life and Trust Company, of Philadelphia; the Employers' Liability Assurance Corporation, of London; the American Surety Company, of New York; and the Etna Indemnity Company.  Mr. McElevey is also interested in other business enterprises of this locality.
     For a number of years Mr. McElevey had been a member of the First Presbyterian Church of this city.  He belongs to the Youngstown Club and to the Mahoning Golf Club.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 659

William H. McGinnis
 


 

  WILLIAM H. McGINNIS

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 479


John E. McVey
  JOHN E. McVEY

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 569

  ALBERT J. MILLER, a leading merchant at Youngstown, Ohio, whose place of business is at No. 1329 Market street, has been a resident of this city for a quarter of a century.  He was born at Washingtonville, Mahoning County, Ohio, June 5, 1866.  He is a son of George L. Miller, who was born in Pennsylvania, and who, on coming to Ohio, settled in Washingtonville.  During the infancy of his son Albert, George L. Miller removed to Canfield, where he was engaged in business for some years.  He afterwards removed to Niles, which was his place of residence at the time of his death.
     Albert J. Miller was reared and educated at Canfield.  He first entered into business as a butcher and conducted a meat market at Youngstown for eight years, gradually expanding until now he carries on a considerable general mercantile business.  He has excellent accommodations, occupying the entire first floor of a two story building, the dimensions of which are 40 by 123 feet.  In addition to successfully conducting his large business, Mr. Miller takes an interest in all that particularly concerns the city, exhibiting a laudable public spirit and taking part in various movements for the general welfare.  In 1892, Mr. Miller was married to Rachel Jones, who comes from Welsh ancestry.  They have five children, namely: Lloyd, Allen J., Howard, Verna and Bertha.  Fraternally, Mr. Miller is connected with the Woodmen of the World, the Modern Woodmen. the Maccabees and the Pathfinders.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 974
  E. G. MILLER, general manager of The G. M. McKelvey Company, at Youngstown, has been identified with the interests of this city for a quarter of a century.  He was born in Pennsylvania but accompanied his parents to Chicago, Illinois, in early youth and was educated in the schools of that city.
     In all his business career, Mr. Miller has been associated with the mercantile affairs.  His early business training was received in Chicago, from which city he came to Youngstown and accepted a position with the Andrews Brothers, at Haselton. Three years later he entered the employ of The G. M. McKelvey Company and remained with that firm until 1891, when he organized the Albany Dry Dry Goods Company, of which he was general manager until 1894, when he went to New York, where he became associated with the firm of Hilton, Hughes & Company, successors to A. T. Stewart, the great mercantile prince of the country, for so many years.  One year later he returned to Youngstown to accept the management of The G. M. McKelvey Company, with which he has been identified ever since.
     Mr. Miller has other important business connections.  He is president of the Wheeler Mineral Spring Company; a member of the board of directors of the J. B. Pierce Company, wholesale wall paper dealers, of Cleveland; and is a stockholder in other firms.
     In 1896, Mr. Miller was united in marriage with Miss Todd, in Chicago, and they have one son, Forest ToddMr. and Mrs. Miller attend St. John's Episcopal Church.  Mr. Miller has numerous fraternal, business and social connections and among these are:  the Chamber of Commerce, the Youngstown club, the Mahoning Golf club, the Raven club and the Elks.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 719
  EDWARD MILLER, who owns a valuable farm in Springfield township, devotes about 135 acres to general farming, under the best conditions, having a well cultivated and finely improved property.  Mr. Miller was born Feb. 22, 1857, in Poland township, Mahoning County, Ohio, and is a son of James D. and Susan (Kriner) Miller.
     James D. Miller, father of Edward, was born at Downingtown, Chester County, Pennsylvania, Aug. 24, 1820, and died Oct. 2, 1890, aged 70 years, one month and eight days.  He had reached his majority when he accompanied his father, James Miller, to Poland township, where the latter purchased the 100-acre farm now owned by Cyrus Detcheon, who bought it when Mr. Miller was ready to move to . Youngstown, where he died.  After coming to America, James Miller located at Philadelphia and for a time drove a four-horse stage over the route between Philadelphia and Pittsburg.  James Miller had the following children: Alexander, who died in Youngstown; Mrs. Margaret McGee, who also died in Youngstown; Mrs. Mary Holton, who died in Niles; Mrs. Jane Knott, the only survivor, who resides at Rock Island, Illinois; and James D.
     James D. Miller
had but few educational opportunities in his youth, but through reading and observation, he became a well informed man, having a specially good knowlege of history.  He lived in different sections, on various farms, leading an agricultural life.  After 1890 serving in the 100-day service in the Civil War, as a member of Company D, 155th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, he returned to his farm in Poland township, where he remained until 1867, removing then to Lowellville, where he lived until 1870.  Thence he moved to Hillsville, Pennsylvania, afterwards to a farm near Lowellville, and thence to a farm near Mt. Jackson, Pennsylvania.  In  he moved to a farm near New Springfield on which he lived until his death.  He was twice married, (first) to Elizabeth McGowan, by whom he had three children, namely: Alexander, who died at the age of three years; Jennie, deceased, who married Horace Brown; and Elizabeth, who married Barnabas Reed, residing two miles south of Lowellville.  Mr. Miller married (second) Susan Kriner, who was born Oct. 14, 1827, and who died Apr. 2, 1893, aged 65 years, five months and 19 days.  The children of this marriage were: Clara, deceased, who resided at Fayette, Ohio; Charles G., an instructor in the High School, at Archibald, Ohio, and owner of a fine farm and home in Fulton County, Ohio; Edward, whose name begins this sketch; Sophia, who married Cyrus Martin, residing at Hillsville, Pennsylvania; Frederick, who died aged three years; George W., residing at Penn Station, Pennsylvania; and Fannie, who married J. S. White, residing in Columbiana.
     Edward Miller was about ten years of age when his parents moved from Poland township, where he had already made a good record at school.  Later he attended the Normal School at Worthington.  He remained at home until he was 31 years of age, assisting his father in the management and operation of the farm.  Prior to purchasing land of his own, he rented for three years near Lowellville and one year near Mt. Jackson, and then bought 80 acres in Springfield township.  To this he added a piece of over eight acres and subsequently 47 acres more.  In 1896, before coming to his present farm, he removed to New Springfield, and later spent three months in Florida, settling on his present place in the following year.  He made many improvements in what was previously a good property, with a comfortable residence and a barn 32 by 56 feet in dimensions.  The latter he enlarged, making the dimensions 86 by 70 feet, and it is now one of the handsomest and most substantial structures of its kind in Springfield township.
     On Oct. 18, 1888, Mr. Miller was married to Permilla Jane Martin, who was born near Middlesex, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, Feb. 25, 1859.  Her parents, Thomas and Elizabeth (Robinson) Martin, moved to Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, in 1861, and both died near Hillsville, on a farm now owned by their son.  Hugh Martin, the grandfather of Mrs. Miller, came from Ireland, settling at Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, from which point he moved to North Beaver township, near Mount Jackson, about 1829.  The maternal grandparents of Mrs. Miller were James and Jennie (Lusk) Robinson, who were married in 1808 and settled on a farm near Mount Jackson, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, where they died.  The parents of Mrs. Miller had six children, she being the youngest.  The others were: John S., residing at New Castle, Pennsylvania; James R., residing at New Castle: Mary S., deceased, who married John W. Gailey; Cyrus L., residing on the old homestead at Hillsville; Anna E., deceased, who was the wife of William T. Gilmore.
     Both Mr. and Mrs. Miller take an interest in old and historic objects, particularly when connected with their own family history.  They possess several valuable relics which would be gladly accepted by any museum.  One of these is a sugar bowl, of old design, which was a part of grandmother Robinson's wedding outfit, and the granddaughter values it very highly.  Another relic in the family is an old dish, shaped in the form of a duck, which is of an age difficult to compute.  It was purchased of some Swedish emigrants on the docks at that far-away date when the great city of Philadelphia had but three houses on her water front.  Another very interesting object in the Miller home is a mounted snow-white owl, measuring 63 inches from tip to tip of wings which was captured by Mr. Miller about a year ago.  This magnificent specimen, now almost extinct in this section, Mr. Miller has preserved under glass, and it is a beautiful and very interesting ornament.
     In politics, Mr. Miller is a Democrat.  Both he and his wife are valued members of the Baptist Church at Hillsville, Pennsylvania.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 666
  EDWARD E. MILLER - Click Here

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 306

  GEORGE P. MILLER, one of the leading citizens of Smith township, who is successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising on his large estate of 137 acres, which is situated in section 3, was born on this place, and is a son of William A. and Rebecca C. (Pow) Miller.
    
On this old homestead farm, which was settled by Abraham Miller, the father of George P., who came from Pennsylvania at a very early date, William A. Miller, his father, was born, in the little log cabin which was the first home of the family.  He became a prominent and useful citizen, was a trustee of Smith township, a justice of the peace for many years, and was elected county commissioner of Mahoning County.  In politics he was identified was the Republican party, but he served his community faithfully without hope of political favor.  He was a consistent member and an elder in the Presbyterian Church at North Benton.  His death occurred in April, 1885, and then Smith township lost one of her best citizens.
     William A. Miller was married (first) to Rebecca C. Pow, who died in 1876.  The children of this marriage were: George P.; Mary L., who married C. L. Harris, a well known attorney, residing at Eldorado, Kansas: Anna M., who married Homer H. Ward, residing at Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he is a merchant; Ida A., who married F. L. Sage, who is dean of the law school of the Michigan State University, residing at Ann Arbor; and Walter L., residing in Smith township.  William A. Miller was married (second) to Mary Brosius, who now resides at Alliance, and they had one son, Carl E. residing at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where he is a mechanical engineer.
     George P. Miller obtained his primary education in the local schools and then attended Mt. Union College for a time, where he completed the commercial course of study.  He has mainly devoted his attention to farming and stock-raising, being much interested in growing sheep, keeping from 100 to 300 head at one time, a number of these being registered, and all of fine grade.  Mr. Miller has been very successful in his undertakings, and beside assisting himself, has done much toward raising the standard of stock through this neighborhood.
     On March 1, 1888, Mr. Miller was married to Effie M. Lazarus, who is a daughter of Daniel Lazarus, of North Benton, and they have had four children:  William L., Blanche M., Gertrude, deceased, and Daniel H.
    
Politically Mr. Miller is a Republican.  He is a member and an elder of the North Benton Presbyterian Church, to which he has always given a liberal support.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 619
  I. BARCLAY MILLER - Click Here

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 300

  JOHN H. MILLER, a leading businessman of Salem, who conducts a greenhouse at No. 17 West Main street, operates two other similar establishments on his farm of 25 acres, which is situated in Goshen township.  Mr. Miller was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania.  Oct. 30, 1845 and is a son of Joseph C. and Delilah (Hanks) Miller.  The "father of Mr. Miller came to Ohio in the spring of 1882 and resided in various parts of Mahoning County.  His death took place in Berlin township.
     John H. Miller came to Mahoning County in the spring of 1864, and until the following fall he worked as a farmer, in Ellsworth township.  He then went back to Bedford County, only to return to Mahoning in the spring of 1865, and from then until 1872 he was mainly engaged in agricultural pursuits in Green and Goshen townships.  About that time he bought 25 acres of land in section 13, Goshen township, and started immediately to improve the property, which he continued to do as long as he resided upon it.  He started his nursery and greenhouses and when he saw a good opening for the business, in 1881, he moved to Salem and erected his present establishment in the city; his business now requires the resources of all three greenhouses.
     Mr. Miller married Rosa D. Bowman, who was born in Goshen township, and who is a member of an old and prominent family of this section.  Her father was the late Christian BowmanMr. and Mrs. Miller have six children, as follows: George H., residing in Goshen township; Rachel, a public school teacher in Mahoning County; Esther, residing at home; John G., residing at Salem; Emily, residing at home; and Abel R., a resident of Salem.
     Politically Mr. Miller is a Democrat.  While living in the country, he served as school director in district No. 6, and always has done all in his power to advance the interests of education in his community.  He belongs to Salem Lodge, No. 305, of the Elks, and is serving in the office of chaplain.  Since he was eight years of age Mr. Miller has been entirely dependent upon his own efforts and he may justly be called a self-made man.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 871
  JOHN S. MILLER, a leading citizen of Ellsworth township, residing on his finely-improved farm of 276 acres, was born on this place, Dec. 12, 1861, and is a son of Emanuel and Margaret (McNeilly) Miller, and a grandson of James McNeilly.
     The maternal grandparents of Mr. Miller were born in Ireland and emigrated to America, settling in Jackson township, Mahoning County, Ohio, in 1827 and coming to Ellsworth township, in 1830.  The paternal grandparents came to Ellsworth township from Pennsylvania.  Their children were: four daughters, and the following sons, Eli, Jesse, Josiah, David, John, E. P., and Abraham.  The paternal grandfather died at the age of 90
years.
     Emanuel P. Miller, father of John S., was born in 1829 on his father's farm in Ellsworth township, on a part of which he still resides.  He married Margaret McNeilly, who died in March, 1895, aged 62 years.
     John S. Miller attended the district schools of his native township and select schools at Ellsworth, and spent some time as a student at Oberlin College.  He has resided on his present farm all his life, like his father, following agricultural pursuits, but devoting especial attention for the last 18 years to breeding registered Jersey cattle.  Up to 1890 he was in the sheep and cattle business to some extent, but in this year he began his present enterprise, with four head of Jerseys, and now has the finest herd of registered cattle in Mahoning County.  He keeps from 35 to 45 head of milkers, and in 1906 he put on the market over 12,000 pounds of Jersey butter.  He supplies some 50 families at Youngstown with his farm products, for which he receives the highest market price paid.  He looks after his deliveries himself, going to the city every Friday and returning home on the following day.
     Mr. Miller brought the first registered imported male Jersey to Mahoning County, and much of the improvement in cattle in this section may be directly traced to his enterprise, as he raises stock to sell for breeding purposes.  Formerly he has bred only the St. Lambert Jerseys, but is now making the experiment of crossing the same with what is known as the Island-bred.  He has tried various other breds but finds that the Jersey cattle are decidedly the most economical and by far the best for dairy purposes.  He has made this business a scientific study.  High prices do not prevent his buying such stock as meets his requirements, and he is justly proud of a beautiful heifer for which he recently paid the sum of $225.  On his fertile and well-cultivated farm Mr. Miller grows just enough for his own use in taking care of his cattle.  He has erected all of his barns and his residence, and they are substantial in construction and modern and sanitary in their equipments.
     On Oct. 5, 1880, Mr. Miller was married to Jessie May Smith, who is a daughter of Walter and Judith P. Smith, and a granddaughter of Walter Smith, who was a pioneer from Connecticut to Ellsworth township.  Mrs. Miller traces her ancestry back to the Mayflower.  Mrs. Miller, like her husband, was the only child born to her parents. Her father was a soldier in the Civil War, a member of Company F, 41st Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and died from fever, in 1862.  The mother of Mrs. Miller still survives.  She is a daughter of Henry Ripley and a granddaughter of Gen. William Ripley, of Connecticut, who married a Miss Susan BinghamGeneral Ripley came to Ohio on horseback, one of the early settlers in the Western Reserve.  He became a man of great prominence and served twice as member of the Ohio Legislature.
     Mr. and Mrs. Miller have had four children, namely: Walter Waldo, Lulu May, Lester and William RayLester is deceased.  Mr. Miller and family belong to the Presbyterian Church at Rosemont.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 843
  WILSON L. MILLER, residing on his well-improved farm of 120 acres, situated in section 27, Beaver township, is one of the prosperous farmers and stockraisers of this part of Mahoning County.  Mr. Miller was born in Springfield Township, Mahoning County, Ohio, Jan. 9, 1853, and is a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Lower) Miller.
     Henry Miller
, the grandfather of Wilson L., was the founder of the family in Mahoning County, coming in the 20's of the nineteenth century from Maryland.  He acquired about 130 acres of land in Springfield township, a farm that is now owned by Aaron Hoffman.  Samuel Miller, father of Wilson L., was born on the above farm in Springfield township, on which he lived until 1869, when he purchased land in Beaver township.  He had owned 80 acres in Springfield township which was so heavily timbered when he took charge of it that he was obliged to make a clearing before he could find space on which to build his house.  This house subsequently burned down, after which Samuel Miller sold the property.  His farm of 154 acres in Beaver township had been improved by a house and barn, and he resided there until his death, some eighteen years later, at which time he was 60 years of age.  His wife, Elizabeth, was born in New Springfield, Mahoning County, a daughter of Jacob Lower.  She still survives and resides near Geneva, Ashtabula County, Ohio, with a daughter.  Samuel Miller and wife had six children:  Sarah Ann (deceased), who was the wife of William Minter; Tobias, residing in Cuyahoga County; Wilson L., the subject of this sketch; Alice Celesta, who married Isaac Esterly, and resides in Columbiana; Melissa C., wife of Joseph Harrold, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume; and Laura J., who married Isaac Chappell residing in Ashtabula County, Samuel Miller was a member of the Lutheran Church at New Springfield.
     Wilson L. Miller was educated in the district schools, which he attended in Beaver township for some two years.  He has since given his attention to agricultural pursuits, carrying on general farming and stock-raising, and making a specialty of hogs.  Besides the home farm he owns 22 acres in section 16.  He has a valuable property and his surroundings all indicate a high degree of material prosperity.
     On September 7, 1876, Mr. Miller was married to Laura A. Sensenbacher who was born in Springfield township, Mahoning County, a daughter of Gottlieb and Anna (Mollenkopf) Sensenbacher.   The father of Mrs. Miller was born in Germany and was about 18 years old when his parents brought him to America.  They located in Mahoning County, on the Pennsylvania line.  He died June 14, 1891, and his wife's death occurred in the following year.  Mr.  and Mrs. Sensenbacher had seven children, namely: Mrs. Miller; Louisa Mary who married Calvin C. Rummel, and resides in Youngstown; John, residing in Unity township, Columbiana County; Rosa Catherine, who married Henry Wood, residing in Youngstown; Sarah, who married George Beck, and resides in East Palestine; Daniel and Emma, who died in childhood.
     Mr. and Mrs. Miller have one son, Park F., who was born on the present farm, Sept. 10, 1877.  Jan. 24, 1901, he married Blanche G. Wunderlin, who was born in Beaver township, a daughter of Lewis WunderlinMr. and Mrs. Miller have one grandson, from the above marriage, Relph Lewis, who was born July 16, 19045.
     Like his father, Mr. Miller has always been a Democrat.  He is a member of Grace Church, at Columbiana.  A good citizen, he takes an active interest in everything pertaining to the advancement of education, temperance and religion, in his neighborhood.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 454
  GEORGE W. MILLIKIN

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 829

  JOHN S. MITCHELL

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 672

  GEORGE H. MONTGOMERY, a representative citizen of Youngstown, has been county surveyor of Mahoning County, Ohio, since 1897, being his own successor in the office and now serving in his third term.  Mr. Montgomery was born in Youngstown township, Mahoning County, Ohio, in 1873.  His father, Lewis Montgomery, has resided here all his life.  He was the son of Robert Montgomery, one of the early settlers of this section of the state.
     George M. Montgomery, after completing the common school course at Youngstown, entered the Northern Normal University at Ada, Ohio, and completed his course in civil engineering at the Ohio State University in 1896.  He located immediately at Youngstown and became a member of the firm  of Haseltine Brothers & Montgomery, succeeding that of Haseltine Brothers.  On the death of Robert Haseltine in 1905, the firm became Haseltine & Montgomery, general civil and mining engineers.  This is at present the leading firm of its kind in the city.
     Mr. Montgomery married Ella Robinson, daughter of James Robinson, of Niles, Ohio.  They have two children, Mary Louisa and Robert Morris. The family belongs to the First Presbyterian Church at Youngstown.  Mr. Montgomery is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias.  As a good citizen he takes an interest in politics and invariably gives time and attention to secure the election of first-class men, with good records, to positions of responsibility in both local and national affairs.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 638
  HON. RANDALL MONTGOMERY, who, as general manager, is connected with a number of important business enterprises at Youngstown, Ohio, was born on Federal street, Youngstown, in 1851, and has been a citizen of prominence here for many years, serving as mayor from 1888 until 1892, and for four years as member of the Legislature from Mahoning County.
     After completing the public school course at Youngstown, Mr. Montgomery worked for some four years in the grocery store of A. J. Morgan, and was then in the hardware line with Fowler, Stambaugh & Company.  Later he embarked in a plumbing business under the firm name of Montgomery, Thomas & Company, which was the foundation of the immense business of Stambaugh, Thompson & Company.  Mr. Montgomery was in the plumbing business for nine year, but prior to this he had worked several years in the oil fields.  He was elected mayor of Youngstown while in the plumbing business, from which he then retired.  After completing a very popular administration as mayor, Mr. Montgomery was then elected to the State Legislature and served with distinction, for four years.  Subsequently he was appointed city commissioner and one the death of Mr. Holmes, he became general manager of the Youngstown Consolidated Gas and Electric Company, the Youngstown & Sharon Street Railway, the Valley Street Railway, the Sharon & New Castle Street Railway, the Wheatland Street Railway, the Shenango Valley Electric Light Company, and the Sharon Gas & Water Company.
     Mr. Montgomery is also a member of the board of directors of the Chamber of Commerce and is a trustee and president of the Youngstown Hospital Association.  Fraternally he is an Elk, a Knight of Pythias, an Odd Fellow and a 32nd degree Mason.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 791
  RENWICK H. MONTGOMERY, M. D.

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 329

  ALEXANDER H. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 316

  CHARLES A. MOORE, M. D.

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 337

  HON. EDMOND H. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 310

  HON. EDMOND H. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 941

  JOHN A. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 727

  JOHN J. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 316

  WILLIAM B. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 985

  WILLIAM B. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 985

  WILLIAM G. MOORE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 290

  D. J. MORGAN

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 630

  D. J. MORGAN

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 630

  DAVID G. MORRIS

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 939

  JOHN D. MORRISON

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 792

  R. M. MORRISON, M. D.

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 338

  WILLIAM A. MORRISON, M. D.

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 697


Henry K. Morse
  HENRY K. MORSE

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 539

  HALSEY H. MOSES

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 292

  JAMES V. MURPHY

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 308

  R. B. MURRAY,

 


Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 842

  R. B. MURRAY, who has attained much prominence in the practice of his profession, is one of the leading attorneys of Youngstown, in which city he was born, and is the son of Ira and Hannah (Carothers) Murray.
     Ira Murray was born in New York in 1806, and came to Wayne, Ashtabula County, in 1821, but subsequently located in Youngstown in 1826, where he practically passed the remainder of his life, engaged in following his trade as a tanner.
     R. B. Murray was reared in Youngstown, attending the public schools of the city and later attending Allegheny College, of which he is now a trustee, and the University of Michigan.  After leaving the latter institution he opened an office in Youngstown in 1868 and embarked in the practice of his profession, and has been in continued practice since that time.  For a period of 16 years, from 1870 to 1886 inclusive, he was associated with the Hon. A. W. Jones, but since then has been alone the greater part of the time, and has long enjoyed one of the most extensive and lucrative practices in the city.
     Mr. Murray was married in 1872 to Sophia Bond, of Geneseo, New York.  She died on Nov. 19, 1885, leaving no children.  Mr. Murray's second marriage occurred on June 30, 1897, to Wealthy A. Darby, of Meadville, Pennsylvania.
     While never seeking political preferment, Mr. Murray has always been an active party man, and has always worked for the success of his party without any expectation of personal reward.  He is a member of the following fraternities: Phi Beta Kappa, a Greek fraternity, which was founded in 1775, by Washington. Jefferson and others, at William and Mary College, Virginia, and of which he is one of the two members now in Mahoning County; a member of the Masonic order for many years.  He is now and for most of his life has been an active member of the Trinity M. E. Church, of which he has for a number of years been a member of the board of trustees.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 297
  FRANK S. MYERS, M. D.

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 338

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MAHONING COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights