OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Mahoning County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Biographies

Source:
20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio
and Representative Citizens -
Publ. Biographical Publ. Co.
Chicago, Illinois -
1907
 
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN to 1907 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  W. B. HALL, treasurer and manager of the Realty Trust Company, and secretary of the Mahoning County Abstract Company, with offices on the northeast corner of Central Square, Youngstown, was born in this city, in 1867.
     After completing his education in the Youngstown schools, Mr. Hall served in a clerical position with the Youngstown Rolling Mill Company, now the Carnegie or American Steel Hoop Company, for about 10 years.  He then became clerk of the probate court under Judge George E. Rose  From this position he went to the Mahoning Abstract Company and continued as manager until 1903.  This company was established in 1892 by A. E. Adams, and Mr. Hall has been identified with it since 1896.  In 1903 the Realty Trust Company was organized, mainly through Mr. Hall's efforts, and the outstanding capital of the Mahoning County Abstract Company was purchased by the Realty Trust.  It was incorporated with a capital stock of $50,000, with John Stambaugh as president; H. M. Robinson, now of Pasadena, California, as vice president; and W. B. Hall as secretary and treasurer.  The business is to buy and sell real estate, execute private trusteeships, and a commission and brokerage business and to act as agents for property.  Large blocks of land are bought and sales made according to desired investments.  Mr. Hall is an active, astute business man and has other business interests in addition to those mentioned.
     In 1898 Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Carrie H. McKinnie, who is a daughter of George McKinnie, of Youngtown.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 762
  FRANK B. HALLER, one of New Middletown's enterprising and successful business men, in the line of contracting and building, was born in Springfield township, Mahoning County, Sept. 7, 1865, and is a son of Benjamin W. and Margaret (Snyder) Haller.
     The father of Mr. Haller was born in Springfield township in 1837, and was a son of Conrad and Mary (Wizeman) Haller, probably born in Germany, who came to Springfield township at an early date.  Conrad Haller acquired 10 acres of land on the North Lima road, on which he spent the remainder of his life.  Benjamin W. Haller was reared on the homestead and when he grew to manhood he learned the business of pump-making, but subsequently bought a farm of 112-1/2 acres of land in section 17, Springfield township on which his widow still resides, his death having taken place in 1899.  He was always a strong supporter of Democratic policies and was equally devoted to the faith of the German Lutheran Church.  He married Margaret Snyder, who was born in Beaver township, Mahoning County, Ohio, and is a daughter of Philip Snyder, who was an early settler in Springfield township, coming from eastern Pennsylvania.  There were nine children born to these worthy people, namely: Henry, residing at Leetonia; Mary, who married Jonas Seidner, residing in Springfield township; Francis, residing in Springfield township, is a business partner of Frank B.; Conrad, residing at New Middletown; Jonathan residing in Springfield township; Frank B.; James, formerly of Springfield township, died in 1898; Hattie, who married Samuel Pitts, residing on the old homestead; and Ezra, residing at New Middletown.
     Frank B. Haller was educated in the schools of Springfield township and remained at home until his marriage in 1896.  He learned the carpenter's trade after trying farming and huckstering for a time, and after moving into New Middletown, began contracting, in partnership with his brother Francis.  When they began business they gave employment  to about five men, while they now control a volume of business that requires at least 11 men.  The Hallers have erected the best and most substantial buildings that have gone up in the last decade, in this section, and the firm is one of the most prosperous.
     Mr. Haller
was married Nov. 26, 1896, to Hattie Elnora Livingston, who was born in Springfield township, and is a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Mauch) Livingston.  Her father was born in this neighborhood and was left an orphan at the age of eight years.  He died Mar. 3, 1902, aged 42 years.  John Mauch, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Haller, was an old settlers of Springfield township.  Mrs. Livingston still survives and resides at Youngstown.  Mrs. Haller was the second born in a family of four children, the others being: Clara, who died, aged four weeks; Lawrence, deceased; and William, residing at Youngstown.  Mr. and Mrs. Haller have one daughter, Edith Mabel, who was born Mar. 22, 1898.  Although but nine years of age, this little maiden has shown remarkable musical talent and is an excellent performer on the piano.
     In politics Mr. Haller is a Democrat.  He is a very busy man and has never consented to serve in any office except that of school director.  Prior to the disbanding of the Junior Order of the U. A. M., he was a member of that body.  He belongs to the German Lutheran Church.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 780
  GUSTAVE V. HAMORY

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 809)

  GEORGE W. HARDING, a retired farmer of Canfield, owner of 800 acres of valuable farm land in Ellsworth township, Mahoning County, Ohio, was born July 24, 1834, in Ellsworth township, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Borts) Harding.
     George Harding
was born in 1792, in Berks County, Pennsylvania, and at the age of 15 came to Ohio with his parents and settled in the timberland north of Canfield.  During these days meat was very scarce, but game of many kinds was very plentiful, and upon one occasion, when the rest of the family was at church, he and his brother killed and dressed eight wild turkeys.  After the land was cleared and cultivated, it was not necessary to supply them with meat.  George was one of a family of seven children: Jacob, John, George, and four daughters.  He remained at home until his marriage to Elizabeth Borts, whose father was also one of the early settlers of North Canfield, after which he bought a farm of 89 acres in Ellsworth township.  He first erected a log house, which was subsequently replaced by a frame building, in which the subject of this sketch was born.  He was a very successful farmer and dealt extensively in cattle, buying in the spring and selling in the fall, after feeding on grass during the summer months.  He also dealt in sheep, horses, colts, etc.  He died on his farm in 1877, and at that time was the owner of 800 acres of land.  His wife died in 1866.  Their only child was George W.
     George W. Harding
was reared in Ellsworth township, and attended the district schools.  He, early in life, devoted a great deal of time to his father's business, often assisting his father's eastern patrons in getting cattle ready for the trip.  When just a mere boy he learned to handle a horse, and being the only child, soon became associated with his father in the business.  He was married at the age of 25 and continued to remain at home for several years after his marriage.  After leaving his father's home he purchased his grandfather Borts' farm of 184 acres in Ellsworth township, on which in 1879-1881, he built a large twelve-room stone house, which is one of the finest homes in that section of the county, and cost between $15,000 and $20,000.  He has always followed stock raising, dealing in cattle, sheep, horses and hogs, and during the war he was very successful in sheep raising and selling wool.  He continued to reside on this farm until 1895, when he removed to Canfield and built his present fine residence and barn on West Main street.  He continued to add to his land, and with what he inherited from his father, he at one time owned 1,100 acres of well improved land in Ellsworth township, part of which he has given to his children, his son James having charge of the old home farm.
     Mr. Harding married Lucretia Musser, who was born near Petersburg, Pennsylvania, a daughter of John Musser  Three children completed their family, namely: James S., who married Cora Bowman, resides on the home farm of 184 acres in Ellsworth township; Mary, who married C. M. Kirk, has one child, Donald; Alura widow of Charles Buck, lives with her father, and has one child, Bernice.  Mrs. Harding died in 1902, after a two weeks' illness caused from an injury received while she and Mr. Harding were driving across the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks on a cold winter's day, when their vehicle was struck by a train.  Mr. Harding was also seriously injured at the time.  Mr. Harding is a stockholder in the First National Bank at Youngstown, Ohio, and owns government bonds.  He also has stock in the Equity Savings Bank of Youngstown, Ohio, and has been a stockholder and director of the Farmers' National Bank at Canfield since its organization.  He is an attendant and liberal contributor of the Presbyterian Church of Canfield, and was a member of the building committee at the time of its erection.  His portrait, with that of his wife, herewith presented, will be welcomed by their numerous friends throughout the county.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 739
  WALLACE K. HUGHES, M. D.

Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 695

  WILLIAM HULL emigrated from Hartland, Connecticut, to Ohio in 1805, and first settled in Vernon, where the family resided till 1821, when they removed to Hartford, and in 1831 located at Burg Hill, on the farm now owned by his son Osman.  He married Annie Hyde in Hartland, Connecticut, Sept. 18, 1802.  Their children were Harriet, wife of Elisha Beman, of Gustavus; Horace; Clarissa, wife of Alexander Morris; William, John, and Emeline, wife of Simeon C. Baker.  Mr. and Mrs. Hull were members of the Congregational church, and during their life most worthy citizens.  They lived to a good old age, he dying Nov. 30, 1857, at the age of seventy-eight years, and she living till July 11, 1874, reaching the advanced age of ninety-five years and eight months.  Osman Hull retains the old home, and is now an enterprising and prosperous farmer, in  early life, however, having been a mechanic.  He married Miss Lorinda Roper, of Braceville, Apr. 22, 1841.  They are both earnest Christian workers in the temperance cause.  Their sons of Ransom and BrunellMr. Hull is in politics a Republican.
Source: 20th Century History of Youngstown & Mahoning Co., Ohio and Representative Citizens - Publ. Biographical Publ. Co. - Chicago, Illinois - 1907 - Page 286

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MAHONING COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights