Portrait and Biographical History of
Guernsey County, Ohio
Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co.,
HERE TO RETURN TO
BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
THE ROSAMOND FAMILY, whose
history forms so large a part of that of the vicinity of
Fairview, is a German origin. The first ancestor who can
be identified came from Hamburg, Germany, and, having been a
Drill-Sergeant in the army, was carried to the British Isles by
King William the Third. His wife accompanied him
upon the passage, and it is related that at the conclusion of
one of the battles of that time this woman was seen turning over
upon the field the bodies of the slain, looking for her husband;
but he, having escaped death, saw her and hailed her, whereupon
at the sound of his voice she exclaimed, "If that be you, I will
turn over no more;" and the result was that she was permitted to
remain with him throughout the campaign.
The Rosamond family in Ireland centered about
the villages of Drumshanbo and Ballinamore, in County Leitrim,
and the men were farmers and linen-weavers. At the
conclusion of the battles waged by King William, his
officer of this name was offered a township of land in this
vicinity, to be held forever without rent, but he refused it;
and the reply made to him, that his children would curse him for
the refusal, has come down with the traditions of the family.
In 1796 Philip Rosamond emigrated to America,
spending some time in Philadelphia, Pa., and first settling near
St. Clairsville, but removing to a farm just west of Fairview,
at what was, and sometimes still is, called Fletcher, where he
kept the first state office and office on the Zane Trail,
between Wheeling and Zanesville. The town of Fairview was
not then laid out. A few years later he was joined by his
brother Martin, and in 1841 their brother William
(father of Edward Rosamond, of Cumberland) followed, but
contracted on the voyage an illness, which soon ended fatally.
The wife of Philip was Mary Bennett. To them
were born ten children: Nancy, James, Mary, Martin, Fanny,
Eliza, Jane, Edward, Margaret and William, none of
whom are living. James, born March 17, 1788, was a
merchant, with stores at Fairview, New Birmingham (Milnersville)
and New Comerstown. At Birmingham he was associated with
John Orme, now of Cambridge, and at New Comerstown with
James Dent. Of his children, Margaret
married William C. Browne, then a merchant at Fairview,
later of Cadiz, and now a banker at New Philadelphia; Sarah
A., or "Tal," married Harrison R. Pumphrey, of
Croton, Licking County; Mary married Edward McMackin;
and James Henry married Amanda M. Campbell; but
all are now dead except Suc T., who lives unmarried, at
Croton, Ohio. Hattie, daughter of Margaret,
married William H. Hunter, one of the proprietors of the
Steubenville Gazette, and lives in that city. Of
Mary's children, William alone survives, at
Cincinnati. Fred L. Rosemond, only child of
James Henry, is a practicing attorney at Cambridge.
Tracing the descendants of others of Philip's
children, we find that the following children of Fanny, Mrs.
Thompson, survive: William and Florence,
of the city of Columbus; of Jane, who married Rev.
Thomas J. Taylor, a preacher of note, Frances, wife
of John W. Umstot, of Senecaville, and Martha,
Mrs. Talbot, of Albuquerque, N. M. Fannie's
grandchildren are: Ada, May and Frank R. Smith;
Mrs. Thomas G. Kerr, of Cambridge; and William Smith,
of Mt. Gilead, children of Ebenezer and Eliza Smith.
The children of Edward (Canada Ed) are Dr. W. B.
Rosamond, of Milnersville; Mrs. Mary Craig, widow of
John Craig, of Washington; Mrs. Fannie Shipley, widow
of Samuel Shipley, of Fairview; James R. Rosamond,
of Hendrysburgh; and Margaret, wife of Thomas Blaser,
of Oxford Township.
Another brother of the first Philip who came to
Guernsey County was Edward, who married Sarah Dowler.
Both died in Cambridge and are buried in the old cemetery there.
Of their six children, one was Nancy, who married
Jesse Barkis and afterward Thomas Ruckle, and one of
whose children by the former marriage is Mrs. Julia Davis,
relict of James Davis, of Cambridge; another was James,
father of Mrs. Melissa Romans, of Quaker City; and
another was the Edward known as "Morristown Ed."
While the spelling of the family name among these
persons varies from Rosamond through Rosemond to
Roseman, it is believed from the forms of the name found
in the European languages that Rosemond most nearly
conforms to the original.
SOURCE #2 - Portrait and Biographical History of
Guernsey County, Ohio -
Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895
- Page 314
WILLIAM B. ROSAMOND, M. D.
The city of Milnersville, Guernsey County, is not behind other
places of similar size int he number of prominent physicians who
reside there, and among those who have became well and favorably
known we mention our subject. He was the fourth in order
of birth of the family of Edward and Mary A. (Montgomery)
Rosamond, and was born in Fairview, this county, Nov. 13,
The father of our subject, who was a native of Ireland,
was born in 1808. About 1835 he crossed the Atlantic, his
destination being Canada, and two years later he was married to
Miss Montgomery the daughter of William and Catherine
(Graham) Montgomery, also natives of Ireland, who emigrated
to Canada the same year in which Mr. Rosamond made the
In 1842 the parents of our subject located in Fairview
County, this state, where the father died in 1876. The
mother, who was born in 1816, survived until 1892, when she too
passed away. Edward Rosamond was a pharmacist in
Ireland, but after coming to America learned the stone-cutter's
trade, which vocation he followed through life. His family
comprised the following-named children: Catherine,
now deceased; Fannie, Mrs. Samuel Shipley, who resides
near Fairview; Mary, now Mrs. John Craig, a
resident of Washington, this state; Sarah, deceased;
James R., who married Martha McKeever, and lives at
Hendrysburg, Ohio; Margaret J., the wife of Thomas
Slaser, who lives near Fairview; and our subject.
The education of William B. Rosamond was carried
on in the schools of his native place, and in the spring of 1866
he began his medical studies in the office of Dr. McConnell,
then a noted physician of that locality, remaining with him for
several years. In 1871 he entered the Cincinnati College
of Medicine and Surgery, and while there he took a special
course in surgery, gynecology and optomology. After he was
graduated from that institution he appeared before a naval board
of examiners at Philadelphia, Pa., and after passing his
examination, remained in that city for four months, receiving
private instruction from the faculty in one of the hospitals.
He afterward returned to Fairview, but finding an opening for
his profession at Milnersville, came hither and has since
devoted is energies to carrying on his practice.
Dr. Rosamond was married, in 1873, to Miss
Mary M., daughter of Huffman and Catherine (Allison)
Kimball, and to them have been born four children: Kitty,
deceased; Mary C., Fanny A. and George K.
(Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B.
Sarchet - Illustrated - Vol. I. B. F. Bowden & Company,
Indianapolis, Indiana - 1895 - Page 262