Portrait and Biographical History of
Guernsey County, Ohio
Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co.,
HERE TO RETURN TO
BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
JOHN W. CALE. One of the
honored veterans of the great war of the Rebellion who
efficiently served his country during its dark days in the
sixties is John W. Cale, of Lore City, Guernsey
county, a man who has served his country well, both in times of
war and times of peace, and who has long ranked among the
leading business men and influential citizens of the locality.
Mr. Cale was born on April 17, 1843, in Jackson
township, Guernsey county, Ohio, the son of George and
Margaret (Wilson) Cale. The father was born in
Loudoun county, Virginia, and came to Guernsey county with his
parents, George and Rachel (Cross) Cale, when
the son, George, father of the subject of this
sketch, was only eight years old, in 1824, and entered
government land and began the work of clearing the lands and
erecting a home in the forests, with but little other company
than Indians and wild game. They were of the hardy pioneer
stock and became prominent in the affairs of the times.
George Cale, the father, grew into sturdy
manhood, and followed the vocation of his father, a farmer.
He prospered and became a large land owner and sheep raiser, one
of the first extensive sheep raisers in the county. When
he began sheep raising and for yeas afterward, the sheep pens
and sheds were adjacent to the home, so that the wolves might be
kept away from the sheep at night. He was always a
Republican, different from all his ancestry, and was strong in
the faith of the doctrines of the party, being of an old
Virginia family. He was prominent in the affairs of the
community and foremost in all movements calculated to advance
the best interests of all the people. He was a man of
little education, and realizing the lack of it, he was careful
in the education of the children of his family. He had but
two children, a son, John W., the subject of
this sketch, and Margaret, now Mrs.
John R. Secrest, a farmer of Johnson county, Kansas,
and a member of a prominent pioneer family of Guernsey county,
The father, George
Cale, in addition to general farming and sheep-raising,
was also an extensive tobacco grower, his farm products being
hauled to Zanesville for market. He was a prosperous man
along all lines, his large land holdings developed fine veins of
coal underneath, and his coal royalties made him a prosperous
man. His wife, Margaret Wilson, was of
Scotch-Irish descent and was born in few months after her
parents, James and Margaret Wilson, came to
America and settled in Guernsey county, Ohio, where they ever
are of Revolutionary stock. The great-grandfather, who was
also George Cale, was a Revolutionary soldier,
and his son, John, grandfather of the subject
of this sketch, was a soldier in the war of 1812.
George Cale, the father of the subject, died on
June 16, 1907, at the age of ninety-four years, his wife having
preceded him by almost twenty-five years, her death occurring in
July, 1887, and both are buried in the Senecaville cemetery.
At the time of the father's death he had held to his lands
longer than any person then living in Guernsey county.
John W. Cale spent the years of his childhood
and youth on his father's farm and attended the district
schools. He early manifested a fondness for trading and
commercial pursuits. He attended the Cambridge high school
for two years, preparing himself for teaching, and at the age of
twenty-one he began teaching school in the home district school.
When the Civil war broke out he enlisted in the Union army as a
member of Company D, One Hundred and Seventy-second Regiment
Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in 1863. The regiment was later
consolidated with the Forty-seventy Ohio Volunteer Infantry and
served in the Army of the Cumberland and saw hard service
covering a period of fourteen months.
Mr. Cale was married Dec. 28, 1865, to
Harriet J. Rose, daughter of Abraham and Eliza
(Wells) Rose. To this union were born five
children, all sons: George Wilson,
deceased; Abraham F., deceased; Ralph
A., deceased; Charles H., a physician
in Belmont county, Ohio, and an infant son who
died when only four days old. When married Mr.
Cale was teaching school and during his teaching period
taught in all one hundred and twenty months and all of this in
three districts, his home district, Byesville and Hartford.
During his time of teaching he attended the summer terms of
Muskingum College, of New Concord, Ohio, and graduated in 1871
in the classical course. While teaching he studied
theology and was admitted to the ministry in the Methodist
Episcopal church. For four years he gave his entire time
to the ministry and was connected with Stafford circuit in
Monroe county, Ohio. He was later connected with the
Methodist Protestant church and from 1889 for several years he
occupied the pulpit at Stockport and Zanesville, Ohio. He
has always been a very busy an, as his little son once explained
by saying: "Father teaches school five days in the week, coon
hunts at night, buys wool and sheep on Saturday and preaches on
On Oct. 1, 1876,
Mr. Cale was made the Baltimore & Ohio railroad agent
at Campbell station, now Lore City, and in this position he
served the company for twenty-nine years. His son,
George William, was connected with him in this duty and
died in the service of the company. In addition to all
these duties, Mr. Cale was extensively engaged
in shipping sheep. He shipped sheep from Vermont and Ohio
into the Western states as far west as Oregon. He has been
a raiser and breeder of fine stock of all kinds, cattle, horses
and sheep, and a breeder of thoroughbred stock. He has
been an extensive buyer and shipper of stock, from thirty-to
fifty cars annually, and buys wool every season extensively and
ships sometimes as much as two hundred thousand pounds a year.
His stock has always been prize winners at the county, district
and state fairs, where exhibited.
Mr. Cale is a Republican in politics and always
has been active in affairs, never holding any office, but always
working in the party ranks. He is a member of the Knights
of Pythias. He has been for years active in all wool
Growers' Association. He is now president of the Tri-State
Wool Growers' Association, and no man has been more active in
the work of the these associations. He has become the
owner of land amounting to about three hundred acres in Wills,
Center and Jackson townships, and a modern home in Lore City,
where he lives. He is a man of positive convictions and
always a man of his word. His broad views and charitable
disposition, as well as his liberality, make him beloved by all
who know him. A man of wide acquaintance and business
activities and wherever known he has a reputation for integrity
and square dealing in all of his transactions.
Mrs. Cale is a woman of fine instinct and
broad, charitable character, active in all good works in which
the community in which she lives is interested. Always
devoted to her family and her home, she has also found time to
minister to the needs and wants of those less fortunate.
The Cale home in Lore City has always been
prominent in the social life of the community and well known for
its genuine, yet unostentatious hospitality.
Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County, Ohio -
Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895 ~ Page 801
JAMES M. CARSON, deceased, was
one of the enterprising and progressive business men of
Cambridge, Ohio. He was elected to the responsible
position of Auditor of Guernsey County, and made a competent and
trustworthy official. When his term of office had expired,
he entered the employ of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company
as their agent at Cambridge, and continued to be one of their
most trusted and valued employees until his death, which
occurred Sept. 8, 1880.
Mr. Carson was one of the native citizens of
this county, his birth having occurred Feb. 18, 1830, in
Birmingham. His father, William Carson, was a
miller by occupation, and both he and his wife, formerly Mary
McGrew, died when their son James was a mere child.
The youth was trained to clerical duties, and when he reached a
suitable age became Deputy for his brother-in-law, Thomas W.
Peacock, who was then County Clerk. The knowledge
which the enterprising young man acquired by industry and
observation gained for him the good-will of those in authority
over him and led to his subsequent election as County Auditor.
From the time of casting his first vote he was an ally of the
Democratic party. Socially he was a member of the Masonic
May 5, 1853, James M. Carson married
Josephine Sarchet, who has lived in this county all her
life, and is a lady justly esteemed by all who knew her.
Death bereaved her of her two children, a son and daughter.
William, born Jan. 25, 1855, died Dec. 8, 1880, at the
age of twenty-three. Martha C., who was born May 6,
1856, was called to the silent land June 22, 1876.
William had been for some time a telegraph operator and
possessed good business ability. He married Clara,
daughter of Hugh Brome, and their daughter, Wilma,
is now living with her grandmother. Mrs. Carson is
a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which
her husband was also connected during his life.
Source: Portrait and Biographical History of
Guernsey County, Ohio - Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen &
Co., 1895 ~ Page 143
ALEXANDER CLARK, one of the
public-spirited citizens of Cambridge, is a native son of the
place, and in this locality has passed his entire life.
For a number of years he served as Township Trustee and has
always used his influence in favor of the Republican party.
In January, 1889, he was elected to act on the State Board of
Agriculture, and has been re-elected to the position twice, and
at the present time is serving his third term.
The parents of A. J. Clark were Stephen B.
and Jane (McCracken) Clark. The former, a native of
Frederick County, Md., was born Sept. 27, 1810, and was a son of
John Clark, also a native of Maryland. The latter
in turn was a son of one Richard Clark. Our
subject's father attended the country schools until fourteen
years old, when he removed to this county, after which he
studied in the local schools for perhaps two years. After
completing his studies, he assisted his father in the local
schools for perhaps two years. After completing his
studies, he assisted his father in making brick and in building.
On graduating from the Cambridge City School, he was given a
certificate to teach, and did so for one term in this place, and
later in Jacobsport, Tuscarawas County. During this time
he took up the study of medicine under Dr. Miller.
Nov. 26, 1839, he married Jane McCracken,
and after their union he entered the
Cincinnati Medical College, this being in 1844. His
medical education was finished in the Philadelphia Medical
College. After practicing until about 1854, he entered the
drug business, to which he gave his attention for six years and
then retired, in 1860. In partnership with William
Rainey, he constructed the old red building known as the
First National Bank, which was put up in 1864. Mr.
Clark was one of the Organizers of the institution,
and for years was President of the bank. In 1863 he built
a large and handsome residence, in which he continued to dwell
in peace and comfort until he was called to his final rest, June
Of the nine children born to S. B. and Jane Clark,
the oldest, William, is now a resident of Lincoln, Neb.,
where he is engaged in medical practice. He was Surgeon of
the Fourth Army Corps during the war, and went with Sherman on
his march to the sea. John R., the second son, held
the rank of Second Lieutenant in Company B, Fifth Ohio Infantry.
From exposure and privation he was taken ill, and continued to
be a sufferer until his death, which took place May 6, 1890.
A. J. is next in order of birth. Margaret
became the wife of W. S. Head, of Cambridge.
Thomas Chalmers is now living in Cambridge. Mary O.
is the wife of W. A. Burt, of Columbus, Ohio.
Ida and Josiah died when young, and Lotie the
youngest, is the wife of H. C. Young, a banker of
A. J. Clark was born Mar. 18, 1841, and passed
his boyhood on his father's farm, where he obtained a practical
knowledge of agriculture that has been of untold benefit to him
in his after life. His early education was such as the
district schools afforded, supplemented by private reading and
study. On reaching maturity, he concluded to make farming
his life work, and at once began operating the place3 where he
still lives. This comprises two hundred and twenty acres
in Cambridge Township, Guernsey County, and is well improved
with good buildings, fences, etc. During the Morgan raid,
Mr. Clark lost a very fine barn by the marauders.
Mr. Clark was a member of Company A, One Hundred
and Seventy-fourth Regiment,, Ohio National Guards. His
mother, Mrs. Jane Clark, who is a daughter of William
and Margaret (McClarry) McCracken, was born in Cambridge,
and is still living, though at the advanced ate of seventy-five
years. Her declining days are passed in comfort and
surrounded with everything that her kind and dutiful son can
think of to make her happy.
Source: Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey
County, Ohio - Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895
- Page 303
JOHN BARGAR CLARK.
Whatever of success has attended the efforts of John Bargar
Clark, one of the popular councilmen of Cambridge,
Guernsey county, has been entirely owing to his own endeavors,
his energy, industry and natural ability. From small
beginnings he has attained a prominence in the county which
entitles him to be regarded as one of its representative
citizens. He has maintained the reputation of his
ancestors, long well established in this locality, for honesty
and industry. He was born at Tippecanoe, Harrison county,
Ohio, in 1859, and he is the son of John Miller and Elizabeth
(Smith) Clark. The father devoted his life to farming
and country blacksmithing and his death occurred on his farm in
Jefferson township, Guernsey county, in January, 1901. His
widow is still living on the old home place there, having
attained the advanced age of eighty-two years. Her oldest
son, George W. Clark, makes his home with her and manages
John B. Clark grew to maturity
on the home farm and he went to work in the fields when quite
small and when twelve years of age he began working in his
father's blacksmith shop and worked there for about fifteen
eyras, becoming a very skilled workman, enjoying a wide
reputation in his locality in this line of endeavor. He
then came to Cambridge and for seventeen years ran a barber shop
here, which was one of the most popular in the city. He
next engaged in the restaurant business on Wheeling avenue, near
Seventh street, and he maintained the same with very
satisfactory results for about two years and a half. On
Aug. 1, 1909, he opened the Princess theater, in the same block
on Wheeling avenue, which he has managed very successfully to
the present time and which was a popular gathering place for
those seeking wholesome amusement from the start, and he has
continued to be well patronized and popular with the masses.
Politically, Mr. Clark has always been a
Republican and active in public affairs. While living in
Jefferson township, he was acceptably served as township clerk
soon after reaching his majority. In the fall of 1909, he
was elected to the city council of Cambridge and he is making a
splendid record in this capacity. He is a member of the
Modern Woodmen and the United Presbyterian church.
Mr. Clark was married in October, 1887, to
Mary Catherine Taylor, who was born near Winterset, Madison
township, this county, the daughter of James and Elizabeth
(Smith) Taylor, old residents of that part of the county,
where they were well known and highly respected. They are
both now deceased. Mrs. Clark grew to maturity in her
native community and was educated in the public schools.
She is the mother of one son, Raymond Smith Clark a lad
Temperamentally, Mr. Clark is a genial, obliging
and sociable gentleman who has made many friends since coming to
Source: Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County,
Ohio - Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895
JAMES G. COMBS.
From small beginnings, James G. Combs, well known citizen
of Byesville, Guernsey county, has gradually attained a
prominence in this locality which entitles him to be regarded as
one of our progressive citizens and therefore worthy of rank
among them in a biographical compendium of the nature of the one
Mr. Combs was born near Winterset, Guernsey
county, Ohio, in June 1855, and he is the son of William and
Delilah (Kimble) Combs. The father was born in Fayette
county, Pennsylvania, and in 1820 he grew there to maturity and
received his education, coming to Guernsey county, Ohio, in
1838. He followed farming and here he was married to
Delilah Kimble, a native of Jefferson township, this county.
She was the daughter of Adam and Mary (Huffman) Kimble,
the father a pioneer here, having taken up land from the
government. Their family consisted of four children:
George W., who lives near Winterset; Martin,
deceased; James G., of his review, and Mary Catherine,
wife of George Lanning, who is engineer of the rolling
mills at Cambridge. William Combs and wife lived
near Winterset, until about 1900, then moved to Cambridge and
lived with the daughter, Mrs. Lanning. The death of
William Combs occurred in March, 1910, and he was buried
on Easter Sunday. He would have been ninety years of age
the 16th of the following May. He was a grand old man whom
everyone respected and admired, becoming a man of good standing
in his community. He was for many years school director
and trustee of his township two or three terms. He was a
deacon in the Baptist church for many years, holding this office
at the time of his death. He was a good and useful man in
his community. The death of Mrs. William Combs
occurred in August, 1906. She was a woman of many
praiseworthy characteristics, like her husband.
James G. Combs grew to maturity on the farm near
Winterset, and he devoted his attention to farming, also worked
a great deal at the carpenter's trade. He was married on
April 4, 1878, to Allie J. McColley, daughter of
William and Sarah (Saviers) McColley. She was born and
reared near Antrim, this county. Her father was born in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1825, and there he grew to
maturity, locating in Antrim about 1841; her mother was
born in Madison township, this county. Her grandfather,
John Saviers, came here at an early date and took up
government land and figured prominently in the early history of
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Combs
continued to live on the farm in their neighborhood until
November, 1908, when they moved to Byesville, where they still
reside, but still retain their farm near Winterset, where he
farms and keeps stock. Like his honored father before him,
he has taken the part of the broad-minded citizen in local
affairs. Politically, he is a Democrat, and is a member of
the Baptist church, while his wife belongs to the Presbyterian
church. They have three sons and two daughters: William
Delno is a dentist and is located at Kenton, Ohio; Harry
L. is in the Adams Express office at Columbus; John
is in the drug business with his father in Byesville; Kittie
May and Pearl are both in Byesville and assist in the
drug store, which is a neat and model one and where a large
trade is carried on at all times. Fraternally, Mr.
Combs is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
When Adam Kimble and John Saviers came to
this county they both located near where the town of Winterset
is now. It was a virgin forest, through which Indians and
wild beasts roamed. These gentlemen located on adjoining
farms, which they purchased direct from the government.
They were great hunters and found deer and other game abundant.
They found a white deer which they protected from other hunters,
making a pet of it. Like their fellow pioneers, they built
log cabins in the woods, and they were molested by the wolves,
which kept up their howlings in the night. They spun flax
and made their own clothing, some of, which the subject still
remembers. Grandmother Kimble had a loom and did
her own weaving.
Source: Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County,
Ohio - Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895
JOHN S. CONNER has made
Cumberland his place of abode for the past thirty years, and has
been a factor in its growth and prosperity. He owns
considerable valuable farm land, among which is a tract of one
hundred and sixty acres, his father's old homestead, and several
smaller farms of ninety acres, or so. Since he was
fourteen years of age, he has been a member of the Cumberland
Presbyterian Church, and has been an Elder in the local
congregation for about forty years.
Born in Spencer Township, this county, Mar. 12, 1822,
Mr. Conner is a son of John and Lettie (Leedom)
Conner. The father of the former also bore the
Christian name of John. He was born near Pittsburg,
Pa., and in early life was a tailor, but subsequently devoted
himself to farming. About 1808 he settled at Claysville,
Ohio, where he entered one hundred and sixty acres, which he
cleared and improved. He also entered a similar amount of
land in Spencer Township, which he gave to his two sons.
He was a devout member of the Presbyterian Church. His
wife, Mary, nee Stevenson, survived him
many years, dying about 1840. Their family comprised the
following: James, John, Jr., Robert, Joseph, Rebecca,
Catherine, Eliza Jane and Mary, all of whom married
with the exception of the youngest. John Conner,
our subject's father, was born in Elizabethtown, Pa., in 1792,
and with his parents removed to Ohio in the early days of its
history. He served in the War of 1812, under General
Harrison. After taking possession of the eighty
acres which were given him by his father, he entered eighty
acres more, and in time his possessions numbered three hundred
and twenty acres. He died in this city, at the age of
eighty-three years, after having been a resident here for some
ten or twelve years. He was a Whig, and later became
identified with the Republican Party. During the war he
lost a fine horse, when General Morgan made his famous
raid. Until 1834 he was a Presbyterian, but at that time
Rev. I. W. Shock held a revival service in this place,
and as the result Mr. Conner with many others,
transferred his allegiance to the Cumberland Presbyterian
denomination. To himself and first wife, Lettie,
were born eight children: Mrs. Mary Thompson; Thomas; Mrs.
Eliza Torrence; Robert, a physician; John S.; Emily; Mrs.
Rebecca Young, who died in Iowa; and Martha Dolman
who is now a widow. The second wife of John Conner
was a Miss Lockhart. Mrs. Lettie Conner was born in
Philadelphia in 1791. Her father, Thomas, was a
farmer, and a pioneer of Muskingum County, this state, where his
death occurred. He was an officer in the war of the
colonists for independence. By his wife, who was a Miss
Smith, he had one son and four daughters.
The education of John S. Conner was obtained in
a primitive log schoolhouse. When only fourteen years of
age he began to earn his own living, and formed habits of
economy and industry which have been the basis of his success in
later life. He was married, Sept. 9, 1846, to Maria
Lippitt, who was born in Noble Township, Morgan County,
Ohio. The young couple immediately began housekeeping on a
farm of one hundred acres in Noble Township, and later added
eighty acres to the original tract. In 18623 Mr. Conner
removed to his father's homestead, which he had purchased, and
afterward disposed of his farm in Noble County. He
continued to cultivate his farm assiduously until 1864, when he
came to pass the remainder of his life in Cumberland.
During the Morgan raid a number of promising horses was
taken from the farmers without compensation, and our subject was
a victim. While living on the farm he always kept a good
grade of stock. In early life he was a Whig, but on the
formation of the Republican party espoused its principles.
He is now a Prohibitionist, and takes an active part in
conventions of the party.
To Mr. and Mrs. John S. Conner were born seven
children, three of whom are living, namely: Narcissa wife
of Rev. James Best; Reland S.; and Lora, wife of
Dr. R. D. A. Gunn of Cleveland, Ohio. Mrs.
Conner is a daughter of Joseph and Melinda (Rice) Lippitt.
The former was born July 22, 1791, came to Ohio about 1814, and
entered a section of land in Noble Township, Noble County.
Jan. 25, 1817, he was married and took his wife to his new home.
He cleared a farm, on which his death occurred about 1841.
His wife, who was of English descent, and born Jan. 15, 1790,
died about 1858. They had the following children:
Sarah, Benjamin, Maria (wife of our subject), Alfred R.,
Christopher, Elihu and Warren. Elihu enlisted
in an Ohio regiment in the late war, and died in Virginia,
leaving two sons and three daughters. Mrs. Conner
is now a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, but
before her marriage was identified with the Protestant Methodist
Source: Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County,
Ohio - Published: Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895 -