OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County, Ohio
Published:  Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co.,
1895

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1895 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
  THOMAS M. JOHNSON.  Quaker City (formerly Millwood) has its full quota   of vigorous, enterprising, thoroughgoing business men, whose popularity is based upon their social qualities and their well known integrity and business activity.  None among these is better liked by those who have business dealings with him than be of whom we now write, and who is one of the leading boot and shoe merchants of the city.
     Mr. Johnson is a native of this county, and was born Feb. 6, 1829, to James R. and Priscilla (Israel) Johnson, early pioneers of this section.  They were natives, respectively, of Hartford County, Md., and Belmont County, this state.  The father emigrated to Guernsey County in 1816 or 1818, locating at once on a farm in Oxford Township, on the old Wheeling road.  He continued on that farm for a number of years, placing it under good tillage, and then removed to another tract, where his death occurred. 
     The parent family of our subject embraced six children, of whom the eldest, Basil I., is living in Quaker City; Annie C., deceased, was the wife of Henry McCormick; our subject was the third in order of birth; Ellen E. is now Mrs. William P. Hartley; Susan, married Robert McBurney; and James S. is in the business in this city.
     Thomas M. Johnson was reared on his father's farm in Millwood Township, and gained his primary education in the common schools of the district.  The knowledge gained therein was later supplemented by attendance at the Madison College of Antrim, this state.  On completing his studies he began teaching schools, following this vocation with great success during the winter season of nine successive years.  The summers were occupied by him either in far work or as partnership with his brother Basil I. and engaged in the mercantile trade in this city, this connection lasting for several years.  Then our subject, disposing of his interest in the business, built the depot at Quaker City.  This was in 1853, and it was the first ever erected between Wheeling and Cambridge.  From that until 1863 Mr. Johnson was employed as a general merchant, and engaged extensively in stock-buying.  He was also Postmaster form 1861 to 1864, being among the first appointed in the county under Lincoln's administration.  In 1863 he was elected Treasurer of Guernsey County, and in order to perform well the duties devolving upon him in this responsible position was obliged to give it his entire attention.  On the expiration of his first term he was re-elected, retiring from the office in September, 1868.  That year he was employed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company as their agent at Quaker City, and for four years rendered his employers satisfactory service. 
     In the year 1872 Mr. Johnson, in company with Isaac W. Hall, organized the Quaker City National Bank, of which he was elected Cashier.  This position he held until 1884, the year in which he was made Secretary of the Quaker City Window Glass Factory.  This proved a very successful venture, and Mr. Johnson remained a stockholder in this company until 1890, when he embarked in his present business.
     The lady to whom our subject was married, September 7, 1854, was Miss Margaret S., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Lennington) Irwin.  Margaret Irwin was a very prominent and successful school-teacher, and taught for some four or fie years in the schools of Londonderry and Madison Townships, this county, and subsequent to her marriage she taught jointly with her husband in Millwood, now Quaker City, one term.  To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born three children.  Laura E. is the wife of Prof. S. J. Finley, of Knoxville, Iowa; Thomas H. is Secretary and manager of the Enterprise Window Glass Factory, at Dunkirk, Ind.; and Hattie P. is the wife of Prof. w. H. Gregg, of Quaker City.  The entire family are members of the Christian Church, and are ever ready to aid in its social and benevolent work.  In politics our subject is a true blue-Republican, and cast his first vote for Winfield Scott.  He has been honored by his fellow-townsmen with various positions of honor, among them that of Justice of the Peace, School Director and Supervisor of the Census.  He is one of the active business men of the city, and as an earnest and public-spirited citizen commands the regard of all his friends and neighbors.
SOURCE #2 - Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County, Ohio - Published:  Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895 - Page 330


John Judy

MARY (SEATON) JUDY, whose pleasant home at No. 69 East High Street, New Philadelphia, bespeaks the culture and refinement of the owner, is a native of this place, where she has passed nearly her entire life.  She is the widow of JOHN JUDY, who was likewise born in this city , and who was long esteemed one of the leading business men of the place.  He was a son of JOHN and Maria (Tschudy) Judy, the former of whom was a native of Switzerland, but who emigrated to the United States in 1803, and became a permanent resident of this county.  The latter at the time of her marriage with Mr. Judy was a Mrs. Schaffer, and by her first union had three children, Maria, Elizabeth and Mathias.  She became the wife of John Judy Aug. 30, 1808, the ceremony being performed in Hagerstown, Md.  Two sons and a daughter were the result of their union, namely: Susan, John and David.  The daughter became the wife of Abraham Knisely, and died in 1833.  John Judy was a tailor by occupation, and became well-to-do.  Personally, he was noted for his sterling integrity and uprightness of life.  His death occurred Oct. 1, 1871, at the advanced age of ninety years.  His wife died Sept. 18, 1858.
     JOHN JUDY, the eldest son of the foregoing, was born Jan. 4, 1812, and passed his boyhood on a farm, where he remained until he was seventeen years old.  He then began learning the carpenter's trade, which he followed for some five years.  Subsequently his attention was principally given to farming for many years, but he was also to some extent engaged in the manufacture of brick.
     On various occasions Mr. Judy held honorable positions, both in civil and religious circles.  For nine years he served with credit to himself as Justice of the Peace, but he was not desirous of filling pubic capacities, and could rarely be prevailed upon to do so.  He was, however, Treasurer of the American Bible Society for sixteen years, and for the last thirteen years of his life a large portion of his time was spent in the department of Sunday-school work, not only in this county and state, but in others.  He stood in the front rank of workers in this field, and believed with all his heart that the Sunday-school should be recruited the laborers for the Master's vineyard.
     The first marriage of John Judy was celebrated in 1832, when Miss Elizabeth Landes became his wife.  Her parents, Felix and Christina Landes, were among the early pioneers of this place, having emigrated hence from Virginia.  Mrs. Elizabeth Judy departed this life Aug. 21, 1863.  Oct. 16, 1864, Mr. Judy wedded  Christina, daughter of David and Lydia Kitch, who were also early settlers of this county, and were from Pennsylvania.  The death of Mrs. Judy took place August 27, 1869, less than five years after her marriage.
     April 13, 1870, John Judy married Miss Mary Seaton, the ceremony being performed at Pana, Christian County, Ill., where the lady was engaged in teaching at the time, having followed this calling for more than fourteen yeas, six years. of which time she taught in New Philadelphia.  In that city she taught her first term in the high school, and for five years was one of the noted educators of New Comerstown.
     Mrs. Judy was the daughter of Andrew and Celinda (Neighbour) Seaton, who were natives, respectively, of Boston, Mass., and New Jersey.  The father died in 1841, aged forty years.  He was a son of Andrew and Mary (Bowers) Seaton, the latter of whom lived to the remarkable age of eighty-six.  Mrs. Celinda Seaton, whose home is in New Philadelphia, is now in her eighty-seventh year.  Her father, Nicholas Neighbour, and her mother, who born the maiden name of Sharp, were natives of New Jersey.  By her first marriage she had two children, Mary and Lucy, the latter the wife of W. A. Vancil, a retired farmer, whose home is in Waverly, Ill.  After the death of her first husband, Mrs. Seaton became the wife of Dr. R. Powelson, who died Nov. 9, 1893, at the age of eighty-two years.  They had one daughter, Elizabeth, who is the wife of D. C. Gentsch, a medical examiner in the pension office at Washington, D. C.
     Grandfather Andrew Seaton was born in the state of New Hampshire, as was also his wife, but the name of the town is not known.  He lived for many years at a place called Hancock, that state, where he conducted a large mercantile business.  He also spent some time engaged in business at Amherst, from which city he removed to the vicinity of Boston, and finally to the Hub City.  He was at one time the proprietor of the Neponset Hotel, at Neponset, Mass., and also lived at one time in Charlestown, that state.  Here moved with his wife and family to Ohio in the year 1818, settling in Medina Township, where his two eldest sons, Andrew and Read, had preceded him, and where he continued to reside until the time of his decease, which occurred in 1826, aged sixty-three years.
     Mrs. Mary S. Judy is the owner of some very interesting relics of the last century or two.  One of these trophies is the translation of the Bible into German, accompanied by numerous comments of the translator, the celebrated Martin Luther.  This invaluable work is twice the size of the large encyclopedia, and would be a prize eagerly sought for by public museums or private collectors.  At the time of Mr. Judy's death, which occurred in May, 1880, he left a valuable estate and his family well provided for.
SOURCE #2 - Portrait and Biographical History of Guernsey County, Ohio - Published:  Chicago: C. O. Owen & Co., 1895 - Page  149

NOTES:  

 

..

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
RETURN TO
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights