...


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 


WELCOME
to
ADAMS COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY
 


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source: 
History of Adams County, Ohio
from its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time
by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers
West Union, Ohio
Published by E. B. Stivers
1900


Please note:  STRIKETHROUGHS
are errors with corrections next to them.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1900 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to GO to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 
  VALENTINE H. HAFER, of Blue Creek, was born in Crawford County, Pa., June 28, 1832.  His father was John Hafer and his mother Elizabeth Blackburn.  Our subject was reared on a farm, and when twelve years of age came to Clayton, Adams County, Ohio.  July 27, 1853, he married Miss Nancy Webb, daughter of Thomas and Jane Cook Webb, to whom has been borne three sons and five daughters:  George F., John W., Mary J., Sarah E., Elatha E. L., Nancy A., James A., and Ida D. A.
    
August 8, 1862, he enlisted for three years at Buena Vista, Scioto County, and has mustered into the U. S. Service as a private at Lima, Ohio, Company H, Capt. Henry, 81st Regiment O. V. I.  He was promoted to Corporal and then joined his regiment under Col. Morton, at Corinth, Miss.  He was in many battles of the war among which may be mentioned Rome Cross Roads, Dallas, Siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, Sherman's March to the Sea, Siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, Sherman's March to the Sea, Siege of Savannah, and Kenesaw Mountain.  Was honorably discharged at Camp Dennison, July 13, 1865. 
     Valentine Hafer is one of the prominent men of Jefferson Township.  He is an ardent Democrat in politics, and a Universalist in religion.  He is now badly crippled with rheumatism contracted in the service of his country, for which disability he draws a pension.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 756
  THOMAS L. HAMER.  Thomas Lyon Hamer, who died on the plains of Mexico on Dec. 2, 1846, to-day is the most alive man in Brown County.
     The worship of ancestors may be laughed down, or cried down, yet it exists.  Hero worship is decried too, but all the same it goes on.  Thomas L. Hamer lived in this world forty-six years.  He has been dead forty-eight years and yet no man in Brown County wields such an influence as he did at the time of his death and which has extended to the present time.  If you visit Georgetown you will see his lawyer's sign in the lobby of the court house, a precious souvenir.  His picture hangs over the judge's seat in the court room.
     In the village cemetery, his tomb is reverently pointed out, and in the village itself, his old home is shown, just as he had left it in the spring of 1846 to go into the Mexican War.  The day when his sacred remains, brought all the way from Mexico, were laid to their everlasting rest was the greatest day ever known in the history of Brown County.  No such funeral honors were ever given any man in Ohio, and none will ever again be given.  It seemed as though the whole population of Brown County had turned out to honor the great man.  The particulars are graven on the memory of every man present at that funeral in characters never to be obliterated.  Thomas L. Hamer was a man of middle height, of slender physique, with a head covered with a shock of bushy red hair, always neat and cleanly dressed, and with smoothly shaven face, and with a personal magnetism which could be felt but not described.  No man could inspire greater personal devotion to himself, and no man of his time ever did.  He was everybody's friend, and his friendship was not seeming but real.  He was a most entertaining conversationalist - brilliant, engaging, interesting - a delightful companion, and as a public speaker, he carried his audience the way he wanted it to go.  Time and again he had cavassed his own county and district and all the people knew him.  They seemed to know him, all at once, on first acquaintance, and they could not forget him.  He moved to Georgetown, Ohio, in August, 1821, just after the town had been laid out, and while it was yet in the virgin forest.  His manners were pleasing, his conversation charmed the hearer, and he won the respect and esteem of every one.  The law business was in its infancy then, and he accepted the office of justice of the peace of Pleasant Township, and also edited a newspaper in Georgetown.  His written articles were as happy as his speeches.  His oratory was artless and natural.  He carried his hearers with him and had great success with juries.  In 1825, he was elected to the legislature.  In 1828, he was an elector on the Jackson ticket and was re-elected to the legislature in 1829.  In December, 1829, he was elected speaker of the house in the legislature.  Mr. Hamer, as a speaker, appointed a majority of his political opponents on seven committees out of eight.  In the election of judges by the legislature, when the Democrats held a caucus in 1830, Mr. Hamer opposed the motion to be bound by this caucus and in the subsequent election he voted against two of the nominees of the Democratic caucus on the ground that the selection of the judiciary should have no connection with politics.  Mr. Hamer, in defending his votes against two of his own party, on this occasion, made a noble speech, which anticipated all the doctrines of the civil service reformers, and should go down to the ages.  He defined his oath as representative to vote according to the dictates of his judgment, and that if his judgment told him that a candidate was not qualified, and he voted for the man notwithstanding, because of his political affiliations, that was not honest; it was not a faithful discharge of the duties he owed to his constituents, and was a violation of his oath.  He said, "I think so, and if any other man thinks otherwise, let him act accordingly.  I never have and never will obey the dictates of party principles, or party caucuses, when by so doing, I must violate my oath as representative, betray my constituents or injure my country."  If nothing made Hamer great, his sentiments before expressed, and his acting up to them were sufficient. It seems that Mr. Hamer's independence of action did not hurt him with his party, for, in 1832 he was elected to congress from his district, and, moreover, he was elected as an independent candidate against Thomas Morris, the regular Democratic candidate, Owen T. Fishback, the Whig candidate, and William Russell the anti-Jackson Democratic candidate.  The vote was, Hamer, 2069; Morris, 2028, and Russell, 403.  In Clermont County, where Morris and Fishback lived, Hamer had only 209 votes and Russell 19, while Morris had 1,319 and Fishback 1,186.  Hamer swept Adams and Brown counties, simply by his eloquence.  Thomas Morris had been Hamer's preceptor in the study of law.  Two months after this Thomas Morris was elected United States senator from Ohio, and the two took their seats at the same time, and each served six years.  Both were Democrats, but differed widely as to their views on slavery.  General Hamer was re-elected to congress from his district in 1834 and 1836.  In the house Thomas Corwin and William Allen were among his colleagues.  In the house he voted that petitions for the abolition of slavery should be laid on the table, and no further action taken on them.  He declined a re-election to congress in 1838, but did not drop out of politics.  His red hair and Corwin's swarthy complexion were common objects of remark in political circles of that time.  There was a magic about Hamer which could be felt, but which could not be described.  Every man who came within the sound of Hamer's voice could feel the spell of it, and ever afterward remember it, but could not describe the phenomenon of it.  When Hamer spoke every one listened, and they gave him their exclusive and undivided attention, no matter how long he spoke.  Old and young alike listened to every word, entranced by his voice and manner.
     Not only was he a speaker, but he was a writer as well, furnishing many articles for the press of his party, and at the same time he carried
PAGE 307
on an extensive correspondence with the most distinguished men of

PAGE 308

 

PAGE 309
would, in 1852, he would have been the nominee of his party for president, instead of General Pierce.  Every one who knew Hamer has expressed that thought, and what every one felt would no doubt have been carried out.  In 1852, the conditions were such that the Democrats were bound to nominate a northern man and one of a military reputation.  General Pierce barely filled the military requirements, but had Hamer lived, he would before then have been governor of the state or United States senator and would have filled the requirements of his party better than General Pierce, and would have been the nominee of his party for president.
     Thus death robbed Brown County, Ohio, of the opportunity of furnishing a president, but by a singular coincidence, General Grant, whom Hamer had appointed from Brown County, Ohio, as a cadet to the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1838, became president of the United States in 1869.  Thus, while Hamer did not live to become president of the United States, as surely he would have been, yet he shaped the career of a boy of his own village, so that this boy afterward became the president of the United States.  Even in the appointment of the boy Grant, as a cadet, Hamer showed himself of noble mind.
     Jesse R. Grant, young Grant's father, was not friendly to Hamer so much so that he could not and would not ask Hamer to make the appointment, but got Gen. James Loudon father of Col. D. W. C. Loudon of Georgetown, to obtain the appointment for hinm, which General Loudon did.  Hamer did not know young Grant's real name but took it to be Ulysses Simpson and sent it in that way, when really it was Hiram Ulysses.  When Grant found that he was appointed as Ulysses Simpson Grant, he adopted taht name and used it ever after.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 305 - 309

  CAPT. WILLIAM HANNAHJohn Hannah, the father of William Hannah, lived in Virginia.  He was the maternal grandfather of John H. Kincaid, who was a prominent citizen of Adams County.  Little is known concerning the early history of John Hannah except that he was a soldier of the Revolution, and the story is told of his having swam the Brandywine.  As the incident has been mentioned in history, it must have occurred at a critical time and was to his credit.
     William Hannah, one of three sons of John Hannah, was born Sept. 13, 1770.  He came from Virginia into Kentucky where he remained a short time, finally coming to Ohio and settling in Liberty Township at Hannah's Run.  During a recent visit to the place, all that was found to remain of the old home was a small heap of stones which marks the place where the chimney stood.  He then went to Cabin Creek where he conducted a ferry.  After twelve years, he returned to Liberty Township and at Hill's Fork purchased 400 acres of land, all in woods.  Here he remained and made his home.  Part of the old homestead is still owned by the family, having been in the Hannah name eighty-seven years.  Mr. David A. Hannah, of Hill's Fork, is the present owner or 134 acres, all in a good state of cultivation.
     Captain Hannah was a soldier of the War of 1812; was made a Captain and served with distinction.  The following anecdote concerning him has often been related by the members of the Hannah family.  The incident occurred while the troops were in camp and mustering at Manchester, Ohio.  One day while at dinner, on the banks of the Ohio, a deer was seen to come out of the woods on the Kentucky shore to get a drink.  Seeing such a sight, the idea uppermost in the minds of the men was to gain the prize.  It was next to an impossibility as it was not thought any one would be able to shoot the deer for the distance intervening was too great.  However, Captain Hannah being a marksman of note was challenged to do so and he accepted the challenge with alacrity.  He aimed at a mark across the river at about ten feet above where the deer was standing, the ball falling broke the deer's back.  The deer was then brought across the river in a canoe and it was needless to state that Captain Hannah remembered his friends.  It is not known what became of the gun with which he shot the deer.  The sword carried by Captain Hannah is in the possession of David A. Hannah, his great-grandson.
     Capt. Hannah was twice married.  His first wife was Martha Moore, by whom he was the father of eleven children.  Of these children, none are surviving, but their descendants are numerous in Adams County.  Joseph and David M. Hannah, of Hill's Fork, and Aaron Moore, of Winchester, are grandsons of Captain Hannah.  In this familly in each generation, there has been a William and a John.
    
One of Captain Hannah's sons, Aaron Hannah, was born in 1803.  He was a man generous to a fault, dispensing his means with great magnanimity.  He married Mary Ann Aerl, by whom he was the father of ten children.  Of these children, five are surviving.  William Patterson Hannah, residing at Boulder, Col.; Isaac Aerl Hannah, at Seaman, Ohio; Mrs. Rebecca E. Kepperling, at Detroit, Mich.; Dudley A. Kepperling, a prominent business man, Chicago, Ill., and Miss Edna Inez Kepperling, Principal of Custer School, Detroit, Mich., are grandchildren of Aaron Hannah.
     Aaron Hannah died Dec. 11, 1890, and is buried at Mt. Leigh, Adams County, Ohio.  His father, Captain William Hannah, died Sept. 10, 1849, and is buried at Kirker's cemetery, where several of his children are buried.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 565
  DANIEL HUSTON HARSHA was born in Washington County, Pa., May 9, 1837.  He came with his father to Adams County, in 1846.  In 1853 and 1853, Rev. James Arbuthnot, James Wright and he conducted the North Liberty Academy.  From 1854 to 1857, he attended Jefferson College at Cannonsburg, Pa., and graduated from the institution in the latter year.  From 1859 to 1860 he again conducted the North Liberty Academy.  Since the latter date he has carried on farming on the farm originally the property of his father.  Mr. Harsha  has shown himself a successful farmer and business man.  He is prudent, careful and conservative in all business transaction and his excellent judgment has enabled him at most times to be on the safe side of the market.
     While a Republican in his political sentiments, he has never sought or held public office.  His tastes are those of a diligent student of literature.  While he has decided views on all the subjects he has studied, he has been content with the pleasures of rural life and has never sought to obtrude his views on others.
     He has, perhaps, obtained as much enjoyment out of his life as those who have made it their mission to antagonize others.  Had he lived in the days of the Greek Philosophers, he would undoubtedly have founded a school whose teachings would have been for each to do the best for himself and leave others to their own enjoyment, but as he did not and does not live in the days in which every kind of philosophy was in fashion, he simply lives up to the principles without giving it a name or public notoriety.  The principles he has lived by have made him a useful, honored and honorable citizen, a valuable unit of our great country and whose record, when sealed by death, will demonstrate that the world was better by his ministry in it and to it.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 758
  PAUL HOWARD HARSHA was born August 19, 1859, in Harshaville, Adams County.  His father was William Buchanan Harsha and his mother, Rachel McIntire, daughter of General William McIntire.  He was the second son of his parents.  He attended the District school in the vicinity of his home and at one time attended the Normal School at West Union, taught by Prof. W. A. Clarke.  He learned the practical business of milling from his father.  From the time he arrived at the age of twenty-one years, until 1884, he was employed in his father's mill at Harshaville, and had charge of the entire milling operations.  In 1884, he took an interest with his father, under the firm name of W. B. Harsh & Son, which has continued to the present time.
     On January 11, 1884, he was married to Miss Ada Barnard, of Cincinnati.  He resided at Harshaville from 1884 until 1892, when he removed to the city of Portsmouth, Ohio.  In 1889, he formed a partnership with John P. Caskey, under the firm name of Harsha & Caskey, and built a mill in the east end of the city of Portsmouth, and that business had continued to the present time.  He was a Portsmouth from August, 1889, but did not remove his family there until April, 1892.  He is the father of four children:  Edith Armstrong, aged fourteen years; Elizabeth Lucille, aged twelve years; William Howard, aged ten years, and Philip Barnard, aged eight years.
     He and his wife are members of the Second Presbyterian Church in the city of Portsmouth.  He has always been a Republican.  He has never held any pubic office except that of member of the City Council of Portsmouth, Ohio.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 758
  PAUL HARSHA was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, April 1, 1800.  He was the second of a family of nine children of James Harsha and Jane White, his wife.  James Harsha was a farmer and resided two miles west of Cannonsburg, from the time of his marriage.  When his family became large, he removed to Westmoreland County, where he resided until his father's old homestead came to the divided among his heirs, when he purchased it and occupied it until his death.  He was out in the War of 1812.  Paul, his son, learned the trade of bricklaying, followed it some time, and while so doing built eighteen houses in Allegheny City for one person, Squire Wright.
     On May 22, 1831, he was married to Martha, a daughter of William Buchanan and his wife, Hannah Houston.  Her father William and his brother John were the only children of a ship owner and Captain, whose wife was a Lady Campbell, of Glasgow, Scotland.  These two boys were sent to school in Philadelphia, while their fathers, with a ship, carried on merchandising between that city and points in the Mediterranean.  He said on one voyage to the Mediterranean from which he never returned.  It is believed his vessel and crew were captured by Algerian pirates.  William Buchanan carried on paper making and book binding, in or near Philadelphia, and manufactured paper on which was printed the currency used by the United States, which was made from bolts of silk bandanna handkerchiefs.
    He removed to Chambersburg, Pa., where his daughter, Martha, was born, Mar. 22, 1810.  In 1812, he moved to Washington County, Pa., and engaged in farming, wool and silk raising.  It is related that his daughter, Martha, at one time, chiefly tended the flock of three hundred sheep.  Paul Harsha, soon after his marriage, settled on a part of the Harsha homestead, and gave his whole attention to farming.
     In 1846, he came to Adams County, and purchased lands at Harshaville of Gen. Samuel Wright and son-in-law, John McCullough.  There was a water grist-mill on the land and Paul Harsha added a saw-mill, both of which were kept busy while the water supply lasted.  A few years after steam power was placed in the mill.  In 1860, the mill was torn down and rebuilt with the best machinery obtainable at the time.  Paul Harsha carried on farming, milling, and stock raising successfully up to his death, Apr. 1, 1876.
     His wife died Mar. 22, 1884.  Paul Harsha had eight children, two of whom died in infancy.  They were William Buchanna, Jane, Daniel Houston, James White, Nathan Patterson and Lizzie H.   James W. died at the age of seventeen.  Nathan Patterson enlisted at the age of eighteen, Sept. 15, 1862, in Capt. John T. Wilson's Company E of the 70th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and died October 9, 1863, at Memphis, Tenn.  Lizzie H. is the wife of Carey Patton, of Denver, Colorado and has a son Paul and two daughters, Mabel of Denver, Colorado and has a son Paul and two daughters, Mabel and Myrtle.  Paul Harsha was noted for his honesty and plain dealing.  He aimed to keep and control his business entirely, and in this way was very successful.
     He was possessed of a practical mind and had a wonderful sagacity to predetermine the results from any business venture.  He was not a member of any church, but was a Presbyterian in his views.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 764
  WILLIAM BUCHANAN HARSHA is the eldest son of Paul Harsha and Martha Buchanan.  Paul Harsha was born April 1, 1800, in Washington County, Pennsylvania.  His wife was born in Chambersburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, Mar. 22, 1810.  Her parents removed to Washington County, Pa., in 1812, and there she was married to Paul Harsha on May 22, 1831.  In 1841, they located near Harshaville in Adams County.  The mill at Harshaville was then owned by Samuel Wright, but was soon after purchased by Paul Harsha.  Our subject was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1832, and came to Adams County with his parents.  The Harshaville mill was the first built in Oliver Township, in 1817, by Gen. Samuel Wright, who, in 1846, sold it to Paul Harsha.  Our subject began work in this mill under his father in 1844, and has been there ever since.  The mill until 1859, when he reconstructed it and operated it until 1882, when it was refitted with new machinery.  It was destroyed by fire in the Fall of 1891, and rebuilt the next Spring.  It has continued in successful operation ever since.
     Paul Harsha, his father, died on his birthday, Apr. 1, 1876.  Our subject conducted the mill alone until 1884, when his son, Paul Howard Harsha, became a partner and has continued as such ever since.  The business is conducted under the name of W. B. Harsha & Son.  At the age of twenty-one, our subject was married to Rachel, third daughter of Gen. William McIntire.  Of this marriage there were two sons, Dr. William McIntire, of Chicago, Ills., and P. Howard Harsha, of Portsmouth, and two daughters, Mrs. Anna McCalmont and Mrs. Minnie McQuiston, wife of Rev. J. A. C. McQuiston, of Cherry Fork, Ohio.  Our subject's wife died in 1865, and he was married in 1871 to Miss Alma McIntire, a daughter of Capt. William McIntire.  "Of this marriage there was born four children, three sons and a daughter, Carey McIntire, Oscar, John W. and Florence.  Our subject has been a Republican all his life.  At the age of seventeen, he joined the United Presbyterian Church and has lived in that faith ever since.  Mr. Harsha is noted for his Christian character and his business integrity.  He is a model citizen and business man and is useful and helpful in all his relations to society.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 767
  JOSEPH WARREN HAYSLIP, of West Union, Ohio, was born May 17, 1826.  His father was John Hayslip, who was born near Winchester, Virginia, in 1871, and came to West Union, Adams County, Ohio, in the year 1808.  His first wife was Margaret Lockhart, who bore him five sons:  Isaac N., Thomas J., John J., James L., and William L., and one daughter, Mary Ann.  After coming to Adams County, John Hayslip married for his second wife Lettie Campbell, a daughter of Frank Campbell.  She was born at Kenton's Station, Kentucky, and was married in 1825.  John Hayslip was a tailor by trade and for seven years kept the old Browning Inn, where Lew Johnson now resides.  He afterwards kept hotel on Main Street, near the old public well.  He was an ardent Whig, and on the day of the great Whig meeting in West Union, in 1840, he asked to the raised in his bed so as to get a view of the procession passing down Main Street, headed by Tom Corwin, the orator of the day.  He died June 9, 1840.  He commanded a company in the War of 1812.
     Joseph W., the subject of this sketch, was a son of John Hayslip and Lettie Campbell.  He was born in West Union, May 17, 1826, and received the rudiments of a common school education, the most of his teaching coming from old 'Squire Ralph McClure. He served an apprenticeship with Peter B. Jones,  of Maysville, at cabinet making, which, together with that of millwright, ahs been his occupation through life.
     On Dec. 25, 18459, he married Lemira E. Montgomery, daughter of Nathaniel Montgomery and Priscilla Rounsavell.  July 18, 1861, he enlisted in the 24th Regiment, O. V. I., Col. Jacob Ammen, as member of the Regimental Band, for three years.  Was at Cheat Mountain, Greenbrier, Shiloh and Corinth.   Organized Second Independent Battery, Light Artillery, in 1864, and was stationed at Johnson Island, Ohio.  Was charter member of DeKalb Lodge, No. 138, I. O. O. F., of West Union.  First vote cast for Zachariah Taylor as a Whig.  Was a Republican for organization of that party.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 757
     JOHN HOLMES was born in Adams County, Nov. 30, 1820, the son of Thomas Holmes and Margaret McClannahan, his wife, and was one of a large family of sons and daughters.  His father was a stern man with much of the iron bound New England Puritan in his make up, and hence the son John was indoctrinated in that school.  He was taught economy and was born with a wonderful energy inherited from a long line of ancestors and the same trait was also cultivated in him by his father.  He was taught the dignity and importance of labor, and no man ever lived in Adams County who worked harder, more hours in the twenty-four, or with more energy than John Holmes.  He believed for himself and those who worked for him in securing more results in the same time than any of his neighbors.  He was born with a thirst for knowledge, which was never quenched in his long life.  Whatever about him, which could be learned, whether from books or from men, he learned it.  In boyhood, he travelled six miles to a school, morning and evening and thought nothing of it.  He soon qualified himself as a teacher and taught Winter terms after becoming of age.  His salary was sixteen dollars per month and board.  July 22, 1846, he was married to Elizabeth Treber, daughter of Jacob Treber, one of the pioneers of the county. She brought into the life partnership the same sterling qualities he possessed, energy, economy, and a determination to succeed.  They located on a farm on Lick Fork, known as the "Hilling Place," which he had bought for $1.60 per acre.  Here their two eldest children were born.  In 1851, they moved two miles east of West Union on the Peebles road, and here Mr. Holmes carried on a saw mill and a farm.  They resided in this home eighteen years, and here eight more children were born to them.  Mr. Holmes was an ambitions man, not only for himself but for his children, and he felt there were greater rewards for him and them in the fertile prairies of Illinois, and in the Spring of 1869, he removed with his family to a farm in Mercer County, Illinois.  Mr. Holmes and his wife, while residing in Adams County, were faithful members of the regular Baptist Church and trained their children in the same.  Mr. Holmes was a citizen respected by all who knew him and performed every duty he owed society, or any part of it.  He was very fond of argument and discussion, for the reason that in that way he learned to look at all sides of a question.  If he could add anything to his store of knowledge, it pleased him just as much as though he had secured a sum of money.
     He was a good conversationalist, and all who spent any time in his companionship were benefited.  He was a close student of politics and of business and desired to be completely informed about them.  From his majority in 1841 until 1856, he was a Whig and became a Republican when that party was formed and adhered to in the remainder of his life.  He was anti-slavery from the time he was of age.  He helped fugitives on their way from their bonds in obedience to the "higher law," and in defiance of human law.  In Illinois, he was a prosperous farmer and stock raiser and lived the same useful life he had lived in Adams County.
     John Holmes was a successful man, made money and accumulated property.  Living according to the principles he did, it could not have been otherwise.  He never forgot his old friends in Adams County and was always delighted to visit the home of his childhood, youth and manhood.  He died on the sixth day of January, 1896, beloved and respected by all who knew him.  His wife, born Mar. 12, 1824, died Mar. 24, 1897.  The best commentary on the life of John Holmes and that of his wife is in their children, eight, of whom five sons and three daughters survive them.  The eldest son, Louis D., is a distinguished lawyer in Omaha, Neb.; Thomas J., is an active and prominent lawyer in Chicago, Ill.; John F., Charles E., and William H., are prosperous farmers in Mercer County, Ill.  The three daughters are married to excellent husbands and are women of great force of character.
     John Holmes impressed the ideals of his own life on those of his sons and daughters, and in that way has conferred great blessings on posterity.  At the time of his death, he had twenty-two grandchildren, all of whom are being taught the same high principles which actuated and governed his life and made him a useful and model citizen.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 763
  THOMAS JEFFERSON HOLMES was born in Adams County, Ohio, Feb. 9, 1860, and resided there until his ninth year when his father removed to Aledo, Illinois.   He acquired a thorough education in the common schools of Ohio and Illinois and in the University of Illinois.  He began the study of law in 1883 and graduated from the Union Law College of Chicago, in 1885, with high honors.  He began the practice of his profession at once in the city of Chicago, and by his thorough legal qualifications, honesty and integrity, he has acquired a lucrative practice and enjoys the respect and confidence of all those who know him.  He was Assistant Corporaton Counsel of Chicago from May 1, 1895, to May 1, 1897, and was assigned to the duty of trying special assessment and condemnation cases, and while so engaged had many other important cases.  He served on the Finance Committee of the Chicago Law Institute for several years, and, in 1899, was made its president.  He was elected Treasurer of the Chicago Bar Association in 1896 and since then has been twice elected to the same office.  During his incumbency of this office, the debt of the association has been largely reduced, and through his skillful financial management, the institution is in a prosperous condition.
     Mr. Holmes is active in a number of political, social and fraternal organizations of Chicago, notable among which are the Hamilton Club and the Midlothian County Club.  He is a thirty-second degree Mason.  In politics he is a staunch Republican, and has always been an active worker and leader in his party.
     In 1892, he was married to Miss Grace Blood, of Santa Cruz, California.  They have one daughter, Devoe
     Mr. Holmes is a thorough business lawyer and has a large practice in real estate and chancery cases.  His office are at No. 512 Ashland Block, Chicago.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 760
  WILLIAM HOLMES was born in Liberty Township, in Adams County on Apr. 29, 1802, and resided there all his life.  When he was a boy and a young man he learned the carpenter's trade and worked at it in the vicinity of West Union up till 1870.  He built many of the residences of West Union.  He was married at the age of twenty, to Nancy N. Chaney, of Highland County.  They located west of West Union on the hill overlooking the Eagle Creek valley, where they resided during their joint lives.  Their children were James, Mary J., John, Cyrena, William, George, Margaret and Nathan.  Three died in infancy.  There are two sons, William and Nathan, three daughters, Mary J., Cyrena and Margaret, still surviving, all of whom reside in Adams County except Cyrena, who resides in Highland County.  William Holmes was a man of powerful physique and nerve.  The following instance is related of him.
     He was suffering from a felon on the index finger of the right hand.  Dr. Wilson, who was attending him, advised amputation and the patient consented.  The Doctor was nervous and could not saw the bone steadily.  William Holmes took the same and separated the bone himself.
     He followed his occupation of carpenter until two years before his death, Sept. 19, 1872, when he died suddenly of apoplexy.  He was a law abiding, useful citizen, who commanded the respect of every one.  His wife, who was born Oct. 15, 1886, died Feb. 14, 1890.  His daughter Nancy married Alex. McGovney and Cyrena married John Willit; Margaret married George W. Crawford and resides at Wrightsville, Adams County.
     William Holmes, son of our subject, married three times: first, to Isabelle Satterfield, daughter of Wesley Satterfield: Second, to Miss Trefts, by whom there are two children, Mrs. E. E. Crawford, of Ashland, Ky., and George Holmes, of Shear Fork, South Dakota.  His last wife was a Miss Piatt.  There are six living children of this marriage.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 765
  ALBERT CLINTON HOOD, the ninth child of John P. and Sarah J. Hood, was born in West Union, Adams County, Ohio, Feb. 28, 1858.  He attended the Public schools of West Union until the age of seventeen, at which time, 1875, he began teaching in the country schools of Adams County.  He followed this business for several years, teaching in the Winter and going to school in the Summer.  He afterward attended the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio, and later the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, and besides, he has accomplished much by home study.
     He filled the following positions in Adams County:  Superintendent of Rome schools, Principal of Manchester High School, Superintendent of Bentonville schools of Peebles schools and of the West Union schools.  Besides, within this period, he taught several Normal schools during the Summer months.  He was County School Examiner from Sept. 1, 1888, to Aug. 31, 1891, having been appointed to the position by Judge I. N. Tolle.
     Since leaving Adams county in 1892, he has superintended the schools of Aberdeen, Brown, County, Ohio; Shiloh, Richland County, Ohio; New London, Huron County, Ohio, and Reynoldsburg, Franklin County, Ohio.  On retiring from the New London Schools in '98 he was invited back to take charge of the Shiloh schools, but declined the offer to accept the superintendency of the schools at Reynoldsburg.  At this place he also conducted a Summer school for the especial training of teachers.  In the year 1900 he accepted an appointment as teacher in the Central High School, Cleveland, Ohio.
     Albert C. Hood was married Nov. 28, 1889, at Peebles, Adams County, Ohio.  The degree of Doctor of Philosophy, and also that of Master of Arts, was conferred upon him in 1899, by Mount Hope College.
     Mr. Hood is truly a school man.  He entered the profession of teaching when quite young.  He began in the country schools and has adhered to the work, being gradually promoted until he has held several responsible positions as Principal and Superintendent.  As a teacher, he is rigid in discipline and thorough in instruction.  He has high ideals and strives to bring his pupils up to them both in education and in conduct.  He has made a careful study of the art of te4aching, having given much time to educational associations and is able to discern the best points of the work.  He does not like sham in any sense nor those who try to practice it.  After leaving the High school as a pupil, he steadily advanced in education until he was qualified for a degree of Doctor of Philosophy.  In addition to the Public school work, he has been connected with private Normal schools where teachers have been trained for examinations and for better work as teachers.  His influence is toward the elevation of the lives of the pupils who come to his schools and in this way his work has been especially successful.  He is industrious, painstaking and careful in whatever he endeavors to do, and this makes him a most useful teacher, inspiring his pupils to be careful in thought and neat in execution.  Even people who do not like him say that he is a good teacher.  As a man, he is thoroughly honest and upright and his character is above reproach.  He belongs to the conservative class.  Of a nervous, sanguine temperament, he is quick to judge and strong in his convictions.  He is not the "first to lay down the old nor the last to take up the new."  His strong point is in counsel and he is a steadfast friend to those whom he chooses as friends.  As a citizen, he takes a quiet but positive interest in public affairs, makes up his own opinions on public questions and exercises the right of franchise in accordance with free convictions.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 769
  JAMES HOOD.  Perhaps no one has been more intimately associated with the history and the people of Adams County than James Hood.  He was born at Connellsville, Pennsylvania, Dec. 27, 1802, and moved with his parents to Adams County, Ohio, in the spring of 1806.  Ever since that time, with the exception of about fifteen months in Clermont county, Ohio, two years in Indiana and one year in Kansas, Mr. Hood resided in West Union.  He learned the tanner' trade with Mr. Peter Schultz, and worked a number of years at that business in the yards now occupied by Jacob Plummer's flour mills.  He then went to Point Pleasant, Clermont County, Ohio, where he worked nearly two years, at the end of which time he turned over the business to Jesse Grant, father of ex-President Ulysses S. Grant.  In 1826, Mr. Hood opened up a general store in West Union, in which business he continued until his retirement from active business life in 1868.
     In 1831, James Hood was elected County Treasurer, defeating David Bradford, who had acted had been as Treasurer for more than thirty years.  It was the boast of Mr. Hood that he was the first man to defeat David Bradford for Treasurer.  He served for ten years and was succeeded by his son-in-law, Andrew Smalley.  Mr. Hood was elected Treasurer as an  Andrew Jackson Democrat, but fell out with the President because he vetoed the bill to make a national road of the Maysville and Zanesville turnpike.  Had the bill become a law it might have made a different town of West Union.  He collected the taxes and kept the Treasurer's office in his store.  His campaign expenses were, on an average, one dollar a year for printer's fees.
     In 1857, Mr. Hood built the flour mills now owned by Mr. Pflaummer.  He also built the house on Main Street, opposite the courthouse, for a family residence, which is now occupied by William Warmsley, and the large building just west of it, for his store rooms, now owned by G. N. Crawford.  By careful attention to business, Mr. Hood accumulated a large sum of money, and was known as one of the wealthy men of county. 
     James Hood was twice married.  His first wife was Mary Ellison, daughter of Robert and Rebecca Ellison, to whom he was married Dec. 2, 1828.  She died May 9, 1838.  The result of this union was  John and Rebecca Ann, twins, Isabella Burgess, James and Hannah.
     On Jan. 9, 1840, Mr. Hood married Isabella Ellison, sister of his first wife, to whom were born the following children: Mary, Sarah, Caroline, Minerva and Samuel.  She died Jan. 8, 1862, and Mr. Hood never remarried.
     When a young man, working at the tanner's trade, Mr. Hood, while wrestling with a young man, dislocated his ankle, which made him a cripple all the rest of his life.  Politically, he was a Whig, an Abolitionist and a Republican.  He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he was the main pillar.  His purse was always open when money was needed for the support of the church.  He was a close Bible student and a writer of great strength.  His writings were mostly of a religious nature and were printed in the West Union Scio and read with great appreciation by its readers.  Mr. Hood was a modest man and all his writings were anonymous under the cognomen, "Ahiezer."  If he had had the opportunity, he would have made his mark as a poet, as he possessed the faculty of rhyming to an uncommon degree and often used it against his enemies to their no small discomfiture.
     Mr. Hood had a common school education and was quite efficient in mathematics.  For several years he served as one of the County School Examiners of Adams County.  He was the first man to introduce the sale of patent medicines in Adams County, from which fact he derived the title of Doctor.  Mr. Hood departed this life Jan. 9, 1890, and was laid to rest in the large vault he had erected for this purpose in his private cemetery in West Union, Ohio.  It may truly be said of him that he lived in another age and with other people, for in his biography he says: "I can look back to the time when West Union, Adams County, and even the State of Ohio, was a dense forest.  I can recollect the stately oaks, tall poplars, lofty walnuts and sugar trees and the thick undergrowth of paw-paws that covered the ground over which West Union is now built.  At that time, we could hear the wolves howling around our cabins at night and see droves of deer passing through our town by day."
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 567
  JOHN HOOD.  The Hood Family is among the oldest families in Adams County, having come to the county when it was yet a dense forest and when the present county seat consisted of not more than a dozen houses.  John Hood, the pioneer of this family, was born in Ireland in the year of 1869, of Scotch parentage.  After coming to the United States, he located at Connellsville, Pa.  Here in October, 1801, he married Hannah Page, daughter of Joseph and Ann Page, who was born in Monmouth County, New Jersey, November 24, 1779.  In 1806, John Hood, with his family, moved from Connellsville, Pa., to Adams County, landing at Manchester, May 5, having floated down the Ohio River in a flat-boat, then the only method of river navigation.  At Manchester a misfortune befell them in the loss of their daughter, Hannah, who was a little more than a year old, leaving them with their eldest child, James.  They located at West Union, where Mr. Hood engaged in the mercantile business.  At this time he bought his goods in Philadelphia and they were hauled across the mountains in wagons.  He built a two-story stone house on the corner now occupied by the drug store and dwelling of C. W. Sutterfield, where he lived and carried on his business.  Four more children were born here, Maria, Joseph, Angeline and John Page, all of whom are now dead.  Angeline became the wife of Andrew McClaren, of Brush Creek, Ohio; John Hood died in West Union, April 17, 1814, and was buried in Manchester.  His wife died in West Union, Nov. 19, 1863, at which place she was buried.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 567
  JOHN PAGE HOOD, the youngest child of John and Hannah Hood, was born at West Union, Adams County, Ohio, Dec. 6, 1813.  His father dying when he was less than one year old, it became necessary for him to look out for himself as soon as possible.  When about ten years old, he became connected with the Village Register edited by Ralph M. Voorhees, where he learned the printing trade.  He afterwards learned the cabinet making trade, at which he worked for several years.  Later he clerked in the store of his brother, James.  Then he engaged in the mercantile business for himself.  He was postmaster of West Union during Lincoln's administration, 1861 to 1865.  A few years after the close of the Civil War, he sold his store and was employed as book-keeper of the West Union woolen factory, which was then in a flourishing condition.  He was cashier of the bank of G. B. Grimes & Company, when death overtook him.  After a short illness, he died from heart failure, Oct. 8, 1879, aged sixty-six years, leaving a widow and nine children, all of whom except the youngest were grown to manhood and womanhood, and all are still living.
     On Dec. 5, 1837, John P. Hood was married to Sarah Jane McFarland, at the home of Rev. Dyer Burgess in West Union, Ohio, where, being a relative of Mrs. Burgess, she had been making her home for several years for the purpose of receiving the best educational advantages of the times.  She was the eldest daughter of Duncan and Nancy McFarland, whose maiden name was Nancy J. Forsythe.  Duncan McFarland, when eighteen years old, came from Ireland to this country with his uncle, Andrew Ellison of the Stone House, and settled in Meigs Township.  The issue of the union of John P. Hood and Sarah J. McFarland was eleven children . Martha, the eldest, died at the age of thirteen years; Angeline married Andrew Kohler; Nancy J. married William H. Wright; Ellen married George N. Crawford; Anna E. married Dr. J. W. Bunn and Sarah B. married John M. Willson.  There were five boys, John A., William, Albert C. and Oscar F.  All except two of the children taught school.  In Mrs. Hood's young days, the teachers of the county were mostly from the New England States, and it was her ambition to make teachers of her daughters.
   
 In politics, Mr. Hood in his younger days, was a Whig.  At the organization of the Republican party, he became a member of it, and so remained until his death.  He was a active member of the United Presbyterian Church, in which he held the most important offices.
     John P. Hood received a good education for the times in which he lived.  He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, possessing strong force of character and much native ability, and was known far and wide for his upright dealings and honesty.  He was a kind husband and an indulgent father and found more pleasure in his home than any where else.  Born of Puritan stock and trained under the rigid discipline of the advocates of this doctrine, he became very methodical in all his manners and customs, and had the complete confidence of his fellow men.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 569
  OSCAR E. HOOD, son of John P. and Sarah J. Hood, was born Sept. 14, 1861, at West Union, Adams County, Ohio.  He received his education in the West Union, Adams County, Ohio.  He received his education in the West Union Public schools and Normal schools.  While in his teens he learned the printing trade with C. E. Irwin, editor of the Adams County, New Era.  After working at this trade for several years, he began teaching in the country schools of Adams County; he afterwards taught for several years in the graded schools of West Union.  He held a five years' teacher's certificate, the highest county certificate granted at that time.  In the Fall of 1893, he retired from the teachers' profession to go into the business of photography in West Union.  He has reached the highest eminence in his chosen profession and is recognized as being among the best photographers in the State.  He was married at West Union, Adams County, Ohio, Feb. 19, 1896, to Mrs. Sallie D. Woodworth, nee Hilebronner, whose father came to this country from Germany in 1835.  One child, Hubert Harold, has been born to them.  Mr. Hood started a milliner store in September, 1897, in West Union, and is not engaged in both photography and millinery.
     He is quite an active worker in the lodges.  He is a member of Dart Encampment, No. 219, at West Union, of which order he has passed through all the chairs.  He has been a prominent member of West Union Lodge, I. O. O. F., for several years and has held all the offices of the order.  He is also a member of Wamsutta Tribe, No. 162, I. O. R. M., at West Union, Ohio, in which he has held all the offices.  He has been twice elected representative to the State Great Council of this order.  He is a member of the Christian Union Church, and in this, as in everything else in which he has been engaged, he is an active worker.
     As a citizen, Mr. Hood takes an active part in local affairs.  He is a man of decided opinions, and having once made up his mind on any subject, does not change his opinions for frivolous reasons.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 761
  JAMES N. HOOK was born on a farm near the Ebenezer Church on the line between Adams and Brown Counties, Nov. 22, 1882.  His father's name was William, who, with his father, James, and two brothers of his father, John and Zaddock, their families and worldly belongings, left Snow Hill on the eastern shore of Maryland, in the Spring of 1809, and crossing the Chesapeake Bay and the Appalachian Mountains, came to Pittsburg.  From that point, they passed down the Ohio River and landed at Maysville, where they crossed over to the Ohio side and settled near the place above mentioned.  Here they purchased land and began the building of houses and barns, and in time were able to surround themselves with the comforts and conveniences of the farmers of the country districts of Southern Ohio.  These people could all read, write and cipher, but knew nothing of the nativity of their ancestors, and it is probable that they have lived for generations near the place from whence they emigrated.  William Hook married Elizabeth Neal, and the subject of this sketch was the eldest of a number of children born to them.  His education was obtained in the country school of the district where they lived except for a term or two, when he was a pupil of William McCalla, who taught a select school at Manchester, and who, in his day, was one of the leading educators of this part of Ohio.  From Mr. McCalla, he learned surveying, which he followed, more or less, all his life.
     When quite young, he commenced teaching school which occupied a part of his time for a number of years until his marriage to Sarah J. Baird, a daughter of Joshua and Susan Baird, which occurred Nov. 5, 1846, near Bentonville, Ohio, the Rev. John P. Van Dyke performing the ceremony.  Seven children were born of this marriage.  Joshua B., who died in the service of his country, in the War of the Rebellion, Dec. 25, 1864; Robert N., William H., Elizabeth Susan, John W., Benjamin F., and Sarah Jane.  But two of these survive.  William H., and John W. Hook.  After his marriage, he followed farming most of the remainder of his life.
     In 1846, he was elected Surveyor of Adams County, which office he held for three years.  In 1851, he was elected Clerk of the Courts, holding that office for one term.  During this time he was admitted to the bar but was never an active practitioner.  He was a candidate for re-election on the Democratic ticket but was defeated, this being the Know-nothing year of 1854, when that party swept everything before it.
     While living on his farm, one mile west of West Union, on Jan, 19, 1860, his wife died, and on Sept. 3, 1860, he married Martha Jane Brawner, of West Union.  Eight children were born of the marriage, five of whom are now living, James N., Joseph, May, Sara and Anna Lou.
    
In 1864, he was elected County Auditor on the Republican ticket and re-elected in 1866, after which he again resumed the business of farming, having purchased the James Anderson farm, one mile east of West Union.   He died on his farm in Franklin Township, Sept. 15, 1885, and at the time was a Justice of the Peace of the Township.  His wife survived him three yeas, having died Sept. 6, 1888.
     James N. Hook was a shrewd politician.  He could anticipate what would please the public better than any man of his time.  Had his ambition been equal to his sagacity and foresight, he might have held some of the best offices in the land.  There was no better judge of human nature than he, but while he could tell all his friends what was best to do, he was unwilling to avail himself of his own knowledge.  He was one of the most sociable and companionable of men, and was universally liked by his neighbors.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page
762
  PHILLIP MICHAEL HUGHES was born in Adams County, Franklin Township, Feb. 22, 1844.  His father was Philip L. Hughes and his mother, Mary Carrigan.  His father was born in Ireland in 1790 and came to his country in 1798 at the age of eight years.  His mother was born in Franklin Township, Adams County.  Her father, Andrew Carrigan, was a native of Ireland.  Peter L. Hughes, father of our subject, had four sons and two daughters who grew to maturity.  His daughter Hannah married John B. Allison, who has a separate sketch herein.  A son, Frank O., and his wife, a daughter of Hugh Breslin, are both deceased.  Mary Hughes, the second daughter, married Joshua Hatcher.  Tobias Hughes married Flora Cannon, a daughter of Eleven Cannon and granddaughter of General Daniel Cockerill.  He died at the early age of thirty-two, leaving his widow and three children.  Another son, John W. Hughes, died in young manhood.
     Our subject obtained his education in the common schools.  He attended a commercial school in Cincinnati in 1863 and 1864, and directly after that began farming on his own account.  bout 1870, Jacob Weaver and his sister had a delightful home just south of the Serpent Mound.  Our subject was a visitor there and soon found out what a good housekeeper and what an attractive young woman Miss Mary L. Weaver was, and he deliberately broke up that pleasant home, by marrying Miss Weaver was, and is deliberately broke up that pleasant home, by marrying Miss Weaver on the fifth of October, 1871.  Jacob Weaver then went to live with his sister and brother-in-law for a year, and his observance of married life was such, that he went and obtained a wife for himself.
     Of the children of our subject, Hannah A., married John E. Swearingen.  They reside at Clintonburg, Miami County, Ohio.  John J. Hughes, a son, aged twenty-two, resides at home.  Our subject's daughter, Kate Mary, is a young woman at home; Ferris L., aged fifteen and Rosa Belle and Mary Grace, younger, are with their parents.  Mr. Hughes has six hundred acres of land in one body in Bratton Township lying between the Baker Fork and the Middle Fork of Ohio Brush Creek.  A more pleasant location was never found by man.  Mr. Hughes has a large and commodious residence.  the suggestion of thrift shows everywhere over his broad acres.  Talk of the pastoral lives of the Patriarchs.  They weren't in it compared with Phil Hughes.  His farm and home are more desirable than the whole belongings of the Patriarch Jacob after he had done up his father-in-law, Laban.  If any one desires to take lessons in thrift and how to care for farms to make them productive, and a delight to every one who has any appreciation of nature, and of the improvements of it by cultivation, let him visit Bratton Township and call on Phillip M. Hughes, John B. Allison and Alfred R. Fulton, and if he does not come away pleased and with a whole swarm of new ideas, then the writer has not told the truth and is incapable of it.  All three named are model farmers and have the finest of farms, but, Mr. Hughes has the advantage in situation.
     In his political faith, Mr. Hughes  is a Democrat.  In his religion he is a communicant of the Mother Church of all, the Roman Catholic.  His wife and children are Methodists.  Mr. Hughes possesses the confidences of it is, that he was President of the School Board of the Township for twelve consecutive years.  He was a Commissioner of the county from 1890 to 1893.  He is strictly honest, honorable, and upright.  He attends strictly to his own business, and does unto others as he wishes to be done by.  As a public officer, he was capable, honest, and efficient.  He is an honor to himself, to his family, and to the community, and his character estimate was furnished by one of his neighbors who knows him so well that he could not possibly be mistaken about him.
     The writer regards him as one of those magnetic men whom it is a pleasure to meet, and would like to live neighbor to him.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 767
  ALLEN VANE HUTSON of Bentonville, was born July 12, 1848, in Sprigg Township, on the farm adjoining the one on which he now resides.  His parents were Henry and Margaret (Vane) Hutson.  Major Hutson, grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ireland.  He located in Kentucky in 1804 on the old Daisy Plantation near Millersburg.  Here he reared a family of children, five of whom lived to maturity.  They were Henry, father of our subject; Henna, who married James Bishop, of Falmouth, Kentucky; Rachel, the wife of Hon. John P. Blomhuff; Elizabeth, wife of William Stevenson, and the wife of William Hurd.  The last named is the only survivor.  Major Hutson removed to Adams County in 1812.  He located on what is known as the Bloomhuff farm, and resided there until his death, at the age of ninety, in the year 1852.  Henry Hutson, father of our subject, married Margaret Vane, who was also a native of Maryland.  His daughter Margaret was born in 1804 and her father left  Maryland for Ohio in 1807.  Henry Hutson resided, for the greater portion of his life, on the farm in Sprigg Township, now occupied by James Froman.  He reared a family of five sons and two daughters, John, of West Union; Handy, deceased; Henna, married first to George Brittingham and afterward to James M. Froman; Allen V., our subject, and Thomas Hamer, of Hillsdale, Kansas.  Henry Hutson was a man of the strictest integrity and of more than ordinary ability.  He was a recognized leader in his community in social, church and public affairs.  He was deacon, clerk and trustee of Union Church at Bentonville, for about forty years.
     Our subject attended the common schools until the age of nineteen when he became a teacher and followed that profession for ten years.  He studied surveying under Nathaniel Massie and Jeremiah Bryan.  He has Massie's old compass which belonged to Gen. Nathaniel Massie.  It was brought to this country by Lord BaltimoreMr. Hutson has an extensive knowledge of French and German and is able to enjoy the best works in each of those tongues.  He was County Surveyor of Adams County from 1877 to 1880, and again from 1887 to 1893.  He made a most efficient officer.  Mr. Hutson is a Democrat in his political views.
Source: History of Adams County, Ohio - by Nelson W. Evans and Emmons B. Stivers West Union, Ohio - Published by E. B. Stivers - 1900 - Page 766

..

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
ADAMS COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights