OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Union County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

BIOGRAPHIES

History Union County, Ohio
Publ.  By B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana
1915
 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1915 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
 
 

CHARLES RAUSCH.  A public spirited citizen of Mill Creek township, Union county, Ohio, is Charles Rausch, a man who has taken a prominent part in the various activities of his county for many years.  A native of the county, he has spent all of his here thus far and is well known throughout the county.  He has been serving as county commissioner since 1910, and in this position is rendering faithful and painstaking service to the citizens of the county.  He has been active in church work and in all the various phases of community life which affect its welfare.
     Charles Rausch, the son of John and Caroline (Horch) Rausch, was born in Darby township, Union county, Ohio, September 29, 1863.  His father was born in the same township, March 12, 1838, while his mother was a native of Germany and came to the United States with her parents when she was two years of age.  After the marriage of his parents, they located in Darby township, where they lived until 1865, at which time they moved to Mill Creek township, settling there on February 26, 1865.  In Mill Creek township John Rausch and his wife spent the remainder of their lives.  He was an industrious farmer and accumulated a farm of two hundred and ten acres in Mill Creek township.  John Rausch and his wife were both loyal members of the German Lutheran church, and liberal supporters of all the activities of his denomination.  Ten children were born to John Rausch and wife, eight of whom are now living: Charles, of Mill Creek township; Amelia, the widow of J. M. Burger; Anna, the wife of John Mader; Clara, the wife of Philip Casper; Maggie, the wife of C. L. Koerner; Leo P., who married .Anna Wolfe; Pauline, the wife of Peter Renner and Albert, who is still unmarried.
     Charles Rausch was about two years of age when his parents moved from Darby township into Mill Creek township, and here he has lived since that time.  He was educated in the German parochial schools and also in the public schools of his township, remaining in school until he was eighteen years of age.  After his marriage. at the age of twenty-three. he began farming in Mill Creek township, and now has a well improved farm of one
hundred and ten acres five miles southeast of Marysville, on the Columbus  and Marysville pike.
     Mr. Rausch was married August 29, 1886, to Anna K. Mader, the daughter of George Mader, a native of Germany, and was born in Darby township, this county, October 27, 1863.  To Mr. and Mrs. Rausch have been born six children: Ida, born in March, 1888, the wife of William Casper; Ernest, born in 1890; Bertha, born in 1893; Martha, born in 1898; Edgar, born July 4, 1900; Hulda, born May 7, 1903.
     Mr. Rausch and his family are earnest members of St. John's Lutheran church of Darby township, and Mr. Rausch was superintendent of the building of the church which was erected in Darby township.  He was treasurer of the church for eight years and also trustee for fifteen years.  Politically, he has been one of the leaders in the Democratic party in township and county affairs for many years, and has also served as a delegate to conventions on numerous occasions.  His party nominated and elected him to the position of county commissioner in 1910, re-electing him in 1912.  He has given this office his careful attention and, as a public official, has served the interests of the people in a very satisfactory manner.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 755


George W. Ream,
Residence

GEORGE W. REAM

Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 1016

 

ESAU REED.  The most of the citizens of Union county, Ohio, are engaged in farming, and it is safe to say that the largest portion of the bank deposits of the county are the result of the busy farmers of the county.  Taylor township boasts of many excellent fanners and among them Esau Reed occupies a prominent place.  He has lived on his present farm since 1874, and all of the improvements which are now on his farm have been placed there by him since that time.  He has taken an active part in the civic life of his community and has served as trustee for several years, filling this important position with eminent satisfaction to his fellow citizens.  He is essentially a self-made man and his broad acres are a glowing tribute to his ability as a farmer.
    Esau Reed, the son of William and Catherine (Harding) Reed, was born May 29, 1846, in the state of West Virginia.  His father was a native of Virginia and his mother of Pennsylvania, and they were married in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where they lived until they came to Union county, Ohio, where they settled in Taylor township in 1857.  A short time after wards they moved to Madison county, Ohio, but three years later returned to Union county, where they spent the remainder of their days. William Reed and wile were the parents of eight children, four of whom are now living: Harriette, of Union county; Amanda J., the wife of Hamilton Rittenhouse, of Ostrander, Delaware county; Martha, the widow of Le Roy Weaver, of Plain City, Ohio, and Esau, of Taylor township, this county.
     The education of Esau Reed was received in the schools of Madison county, Ohio, and also those of Union county.  He was eleven years of age when his parents moved from Pennsylvania to Union county, and consequently most of his life has been spent within the confines of this county.  He remained at home until he was twenty-three years of age and then began working for himself.  At the age of twenty-six he was married and started to build up a farm of his own.  As he prospered year after year he added to his land holdings until he is now the owner of two hundred and three and one-half acres of fine land a little more than a mile from Broadway.  He and Mrs. Reed own sixty-three acres of land in Liberty township, and all of his farm is the direct result of his own initiative. He has lived on his present farm since March 3, 1874, and during the long years which have elapsed since that time he has ever been regarded as one of the leading agriculturists of the township. 
     Mr. Reed was married on the 13th day of February, 1873, to Winnie Smith, who was born in Darby township, this county, educated in the common schools and later became a student of Wesleyan College at Delaware,  Ohio.  After completing her college course she taught school until her marriage.  She is a woman of refinement and culture and has always been interested in church and social service work in her county.  Mr. Reed and his wife have no children of their own, but have reared a son.  Ernest C. Colby, whom they took at the age of four years from the Orphan's Home at Cleveland, Ohio.  They gave him all the tender care they would have given to a child of their own and have the satisfaction of knowing that he has become a useful member of society.  He was educated in the common schools and later graduated from the high school at the early age of sixteen.  He then entered the Northern Ohio Normal School at Ada, and graduated from the agricultural course in that splendid school.  Since then he has been engaged in farming and with marked success.  Ernest C. Reed married Bertha Lash, and has two daughters, Pauline and Ernestine.
     Mr. Reed and his wife are loyal members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Broadway.  Fraternally, Mr. Reed is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while, politically, he has been a life-long Republican, and has served for six years as trustee of his township.  His son has served as township clerk for two terms and is a Mason.  Mr. Reed is a fine type of the splendid American citizen who takes an intelligent interest in the life of his community and always stands ready to help all worthy causes.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 734


Mr. & Mrs.
Jefferson L. Richey

JEFFERSON L. RICHEY

Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 752


Mrs. Dora C. Robinson
Mrs. Laura Robinson
Guido Robinson
THE HISTORY OF THE ROBINSON FAMILY - Edwin H. Robinson.
     The ancestors of the Robinson family were French Huguenots who escaped to London, Great Britain, after the massacre of Saint Bartholomew, Aug. 23, 1572, and after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes (a proclamation by Henry IV, King of Navarre and France, in 1598, giving to the Protestants religious freedom) by Louis XIV, King of France, in 1685, at which time five hundred thousand Protestants took refuge in foreign countries. A great many of them found friendly refuge in England.
     Among their first efforts was the establishment and endowment of a college known as the Huguenot, or French school.  Many of these refugees were men of wealth, literary men, artists, ministers, lawyers, and men of many other vocations who were amply able, they thought, to endow a college to give their descendants an education and teach them trades or fit them for business, boarding and clothing them till they were fourteen years old.  This school was so carried on till the middle of the nineteenth century, when such institutions, of which there were many in London and vicinity, endowed by public spirited individuals and societies, were all wiped out of existence, the funds thus obtained going into the general school fund.  So passed out of existence the old Huguenot school at which many of England's prominent men of the last century received their first education.  Among others were Sir Robert Peel, Lord John Russell and Lord Palmerston who went to the school by permission to begin their education, and were school mates of John Robinson hereinafter mentioned.
     William Daniel Robinson, a descendant of an artist by the name of Robson, who was one of the Huguenot refugees and who was appointed carver and gilder to the crown by Charles II (which position was held by several of Robson's descendants), was born in London, on Feb. 6, 1799.  He was married in London, in All Hallows church, to Mary Taylor of Oxfordshire, England.  She was of an old English family who were freeholders, owning four hundred acres close to the village of Faringdon in Oxfordshire.
     To William D. and Mary (Taylor) Robinson were born William Daniel, Dec. 1, 1799: John, Mar. 21, 1802; Samuel, Jan. 16, 1805; Elizabeth, Sept. 15, 1806; Anna, Dec. 3, 1807; Edward, Mar. 29, 1810 (died in 1813); Frances Johanna, Nov. 15, 1813.  All these children were born in Saint Ann Court, Great Russell street, London, Great Britain.
     William Daniel, Jr., was reared and educated by his grandmother on the farm in Oxfordshire.  His grandfather, who was a captain in the British navy, was killed during the Revolutionary War with the American colonies. William D., Jr., was married to Rebecca Lewis and to this union several children were born, only three living to maturity, William D., John and Gilbert.  He emigrated to America, landing in New York in September, 1832: in June, 1834, he came to Concord township, Delaware county, Ohio, where he lived a happy and contended life, dying in his seventy-sixth year.
     John Robinson, the son of William D. and Rebecca (Lewis) Robinson, was reared by his parents, his father dying at the age of forty-four years, and his mother dying broken hearted at the loss of her husband a few months later, thus leaving the children orphans.  They struggled through childhood.  Johanna died young: the other girls married, one marrying John Landon, the other Edward Foot, both men of business in the city of London.
     John and Samuel became experts in the art of wood carving and also in carving molds for making composition ornaments for picture frames, finishing the frames and gilding them.  They established a factory for carrying on that business, of which they had a large amount to do, shipping quantities of picture and mirror frames to the eastern cities of the United States of America.  They also did a large amount of the ornamental work in Windsor palace, when that royal mansion was remodeled during the years 1826 and 1831.  Early in 1832 the factory was set on fire by a discharged employee and was totally destroyed.  The insurance expired a few hours before the fire was discovered.  The whole business was a total loss.  They had some little savings with which they thought to start again, John to go to New York and start in a small shop and build up as business should warrant.  Samuel was to remain in London to do the same, but he did not succeed, and, taking to drink, he died, leaving a wife and three children.
     John Robinson (then in his thirty-second year) was married, Aug. 13, 1833, at Box Hill, county of Surrey, England, to Elizabeth Hayes, who was born Apr. 7, 1812, near to the city of Bristol, Gloucestershire, England.  She was brought up and educated by her half sister (her father having been married twice), who had married a wealthy shipbuilder of Bristol by the name of Richard Teast.  They lived in Soho Square, London.  After their marriage John Robinson and his wife sailed from London Oct. 28, 1833, for New York, and after a voyage of some weeks arrived in that city Dec. 11, 1833.
     In March, 1834, after looking over the prospect of building up his old business in the New World, and things not appearing favorable, the idea struck him that he would buy a farm.  So after looking over a number of farms on Long Island and not being suited, he determined to go farther west and see if he could find something more pleasing to his artistic eye.  He packed a knapsack and started out on foot to take a look at the country and find a farm.  He walked across New Jersey and Pennsylvania into Maryland, where, resting one Sunday in a place called Hagerstown, he that day, the first time in his life, saw colored people sold at auction as slaves.  From there he walked through western Pennsylvania into Ohio, where after many weary tramps he found, on the west side of the Scioto river, about seventeen miles north of Columbus (then a village - Franklinton was then capital of Ohio), a tract of wild forest land possessed of enough sylvan picturesqueness to suit him.  Never thinking of the hardships and labor he would have to go through before he could make a farm of it, he purchased four hundred acres of William S. Sullivant, paying twelve hundred dollars for it.  Then he walked back to Brooklyn, Long Island, where he had left his wife and brother, William, and his wife and their two children.
     When he returned to Brooklyn in May, he found a three-pound son had been born to him.  So insignificant a piece of humanity was it, that it never cried till seven weeks old.  This baby was born on the 11th day of April, 1834, and after much care and anxious attention they succeeded in rearing it to maturity.  The mother and father devoted every moment they could spare from the incessant labor of making a home in the wilderness to the education of their infant son, and they proved to be very successful in their efforts, \()V that son (who is the writer of this family history) has every reason to feel grateful to them for the liberal education they gave him.
     During the year 1835, the father, after a year of incessant labor in clearing away the forest and preparing land to grow some grain to give them something to live upon (of meat there was plenty running wild in the woods), lay stricken by malaria fever for months.  When he did get up, the strong man was a mere wreck of his former self, totally unfitted for the labor which lay before him.  He succeeded, by hiring some of the neighbors, in clearing about thirty acres, when he had to give up that kind of work.  He was forced to do something else to earn a living, as during this time the small sum of money he had brought with him had been expended in building him a house.  It was a large two-story structure, furnished with furniture and pictures he brought from London by water all the way to Columbus - by sea to New York; New York to Buffalo by canal; Buffalo to Cleveland on Lake Erie by vessel; Cleveland to Columbus by canal; Columbus to Dublin and thence to the new house by an ox-team.
     He was badly in debt.  Get out he must or lose what little he had, so he tried carving butter molds and other things, but they did not bring in any money.  In 1839 he found by trying with his family that he could take portraits of his neighbors, sketching with pencil, then coloring them with water colors.  They became very popular and for miles people came to have their pictures made at one dollar apiece.  After a time all those people who felt able to afford such luxuries were supplied and he had to look farther afield.
     In the fall of 1841 he prepared a lot of stretchers - small wooden frames with muslin stretched over them and with white paper glued on that to paint on.  Then he started in a one-horse wagon on a trip through the Southern states.  He worked through Kentucky, Tennessee, and part of Alabama, coming home in April, 1842.  So successful was the venture he determined to repeat it the following autumn and this time went as far south as Tuscaloosa, Alabama.  At the latter place, in the latter part of February, 1843, he learned that a daughter had been born to him on the eleventh of the month, whom he named Mary Charlotte Tuscaloosa.  There also he learned that portrait painting was about to come to an end for the Frenchman, Daguerre, had perfected his process of producing a picture on a prepared plate in a camera, thereby knocking the portrait painter out of business.  But he returned in April, 1843, with enough money to pay off his debts and have some left.
     About this time William S. Sullivan and others of a scientific bent determined to make a study of the cryptogamia (non-flowering plants) of the United States, make drawings and describe their habitats and manner of growth.  John Robinson, owing to his education and artistic ability, was chosen a fitting member of the association.  While thus engaged much time was used in observing the growth of very delicate mosses which found a convenient location in a deep ravine made by the run, which came from the west through the home farm and made its junction with the river.  By the frequent visits he and I (E. H. Robinson, Sr.) made to this secluded spot we aroused the curiosity of some of the neighbors.  They could not under stand why we would go to so uninteresting a place (to them), so we were watched, and various were the stories told of treasure the old Britisher had buried somewhere near there.  Several excavations were made by them with out any satisfactory results, and all the explanations would not satisfy them.
     Feb. 13, 1845, Edward Robinson was born to John and Elizabeth (Hayes) Robinson.  On the twenty-first of the following month the home with all it contained was completely destroyed by fire and, unfortunately, there was no insurance on the house.  The savings of years all gone and six half-clad youngsters (for that day was warm, so coats and shoes were in the house) went to the home of my uncle William.  In a few days a log cabin was built.  The morning after the fire my father, going to Columbus to get some things to furnish his cabin and clothe his family with, met William, Joseph and Michael Sullivan.  When he told them of the disaster, William handed him a check for five hundred dollars.  When father asked him, "When shall I pay this?" he answered, "When I ask for it." Thus it was father was enabled to pay the men (they were all poor) for helping him build our home - and arouse fresh wonder as to where the old Britisher got his money.  The house was rebuilt on the old foundation that summer and we lived in it the next winter.  My mother for years after moving into the new house, suffered from inflammatory rheumatism, sometimes being as helpless as an infant.  After the house was burned and the cellar was filled up with the debris which was never cleared out, she never had the rheumatism again and became a healthy woman.
     Many and terrible were the hardships and privations this couple of untrained pioneers (John Robinson and wife) had to struggle through in providing food and clothing for so many.  The people, who were few and far between, were perfect strangers in every way, in education, habits, and mode of thinking and living.  Father had never seen a tree cut down.  He had never seen an American axe, much less did he know how to use one, but he was an apt scholar and soon picked up knowledge of woodcraft.  The most difficult task was to get an understanding of the people.  Several of the neighbors had been soldiers in the war with England of 1812 and looked upon an Englishman with aversion and suspicion almost amounting to hatred.  Wild animals were numerous and sheep and other small domestic animals had to be housed every night.  Even children were not safe far from the house during the day, for wild hogs and wolves were always prowling through the woods.
     By letting twenty-acre pieces of land by leases to different men who were to build each a cabin, clear and fence the land, and by so doing to have use of it for seven years, about sixty acres of the original farm were cleared.  Father still was engaged with the mosses till 1848, when Sullivan determined to build a house in Columbus to live in (he had always lived in the country.)  He wished to have it finely finished with a liberal use of wood carving.  His example was followed by others building fine houses and, consequently, father had all the carving to do.  People in many other cities also had work done.  Many opportunities came to him to do ornamental work for public buildings.  Ohio's state capitol has many pieces of carving in stone, copies after models made by him.
     During the years 1847, '48, '49, '50 and '51 father made a very full collection of the fungi of Ohio, making water color pictures of them and also described their growth and habits.  The work was sent to Germany to be published, was completed and started for America in 1855, but the vessel with all on board went to the bottom.  There never was a reprint made.
     In March, 1852, he (John Robinson), sold the farm to Luther and Franklin White who, with their brother-in-law, Alvah Smith and family of Springfield, Massachusetts, moved to the farm in April, 1852.  The Whites sold the farm in January, 1853, to John Courtwright and went back to Massachusetts.  Their business was making daguerreotype portraits.  The Smith family moved into the city of Delaware in April, 1853.  Our family occupied part of the farm during the summer of 1852 while father looked for another home.  After a long search he found a farm on Little Mill creek belonging to Jonathan Burroughs, which he purchased and the family moved on to it Mar. 21, 1853.  This is the home of Guido Robinson now and has been in the family ever since purchased in 1853.  He improved the place by building an addition to the house and several outbuildings, thereby making a commodious and comfortable home.  Here he spent his declining years in favorite pursuits, reading. carving and painting, doing some carving for public buildings, some for private houses, and doing far more for himself and children.  He also painted many pictures (in oil colors) of scenery viewed by him in his life.
     May 10, 1879, his wife, my mother - one of the  best women who ever graced this earth - died.  With her went out his better half, his life was but a weary vigil until the end which came Nov. 27, 1893.
     The children of John and Elizabeth Robinson were Edwin Hayes, born in Brooklyn, Long Island, Apr. 11, 1834; Alvred John, July 24, 1836, in Delaware county, Ohio; Rubens William, Apr. 8, 1839, same county; Arthur Samuel, Nov. 9, 1841; Mary Charlotte Tuscaloosa, Feb. 11, 1843;
Edward, Feb. 13, 1845; Guido, Mar. 17, 1848.  All grew to maturity.
     Guido Robinson has a fine farm of one hundred and thirty-five acres, known as the "Locust Grove Stock Farm," in Dover township at the junction of the Dry Run and Springdale roads about eight miles northeast of Marysville.  He began farming for himself at the age of twenty-two by renting his father's farm of two hundred acres in this township.  He rented for a few years and then bought his present farm on which he has since resided.
     Mr. Robinson was married in 1873 to Laura J. Andrews, the daughter of William and Effie (Welch) Andrews.  to this union were born five children, Girrard E., Beale A., Ellis A., and GraceHayes, a twin and Grace died at the age of six months.  Girrard first married Edna Green, and later Lucille Jefferson.  To his second union were born two daughters, Dorothy F. and Mary PBeale married Florence Plank, and has two children, Alice E. and Mary P.  Beal married Florence Plank and has two children, Alice E. and Beale A., Jr.  Ellis married Laura Brown.  Grace, deceased, was the wife of William Mackan and left her husband with two daughters, Elsie B. and Laura L.  The mother of these five children died in 1884.
     Mr. Robinson was married a second time Nov. 12, 1885, to Dora C. Brucker, the daughter of Michael and Elizabeth (Freimetzer) Brucker.  Her parents were natives of Bavaria, Germany, and on  coming to America first located near Columbus, Ohio, later settling in Richwood in this county, where they spent the remainder of their days.  To this second marriage of Mr. Robinson was born one daughter, Inez F.  She married Walter F. Cody and had children, Esther J. and Guido W., twins.  The son died in infancy.
     Fraternally, Mr. Robinson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has been identified with this fraternity for the past forty five years.  Politically, he is a Socialist and has always taken an intelligent interest in the welfare of his party.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 872

A. B. Robinson
AARON B. ROBINSON.    To attain a worthy citizenship by a life that is always honored and respected even from childhood, deserves more than passing notice.  A man may take his place in public life through some vigorous stroke of public policy and even remain in the hearts of friends and neighbors, but to take the same position by the practice of an upright life is worthy of the highest praise and commendation.  Aaron B. Robinson, a retired merchant and lawyer of Marysville, Ohio, is a man who has spent his whole life in Union county and the four score and two years which he has lived here have served to gain for him a place among the most representative citizens of the county.  A man of high moral character, unimpeachable integrity, persistent industry and excellent business judgment, he has stood for the best interests of Union county.  Today there is no citizen of the county who is better entitled to representation in the annals of his county's history.  He served with distinction in the War of the Rebellion and in peaceful pursuits since that memorable struggle he has been no less distinguished.

Page 621 missing.

 

 

kinds.  He continued in the mercantile business until a few years ago when he retired from active life and turned his business over to other hands.
     Mr. Robinson was married to Keziah Wilkins, the daughter of Alfred and Harriet Wilkins, and to this union four children were born, Harriet E., Gertrude, Martha C. and Alfred J.
     Mr. Robinson and his family are consistent members of the Presbyterian church, to whose support they have long been generous contributors.  Politically, he has been a life-long Republican and has taken an active part in local and state politics.  He served as a member of the Legislature for two terms and was an active and valuable member of various committees in that body. In all of the relations of life he has acted his part well and now he can look back over a long career which has been spent worthily in the service of his fellowmen. It is a pleasure to honor such men and this brief biography is but a feeble tribute to one of Union county's grand old men.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 620-622


Aaron F. Robinson
AARON FAY ROBINSON.     One of the substantial business firms of Milford Center, Ohio, is the Robinson & Richter Company, dealers in hardware, implements, etc.  Aaron Fay Robinson, the senior member of the firm, started in business here in 1900, and for the past fifteen years has been building up a trade which has increased year by year until it now extends over a large extent of territory.  Mr. Robinson is a man of excellent education, has taught in the high school of his county and has all of those characteristics which go to make a successful business man.  Of irreproachable character and with a high standard of integrity, he has won the esteem and confidence of the people of this community and justly merits inclusion among the representative men of his county.
     Aaron Fay Robinson, the son of John W. and Sarah (Coe) Robinson, was born in Marysville, on the Waldo road, Dec. 30, 1863.  His father was born in Ohio and his mother in Pennsylvania, and to them were born seven children: Heber, of Marysville; Mary, the wife of A. E. Piatt, of Marysville; Aaron Fay, of Milford Center; Jennie, the wife of Albert Burnham, of Union township; James E., an attorney in Marysville; Carrie, the widow of John Longbrake, of Marysville; and Clyde, of Allen township.
     John W. Robinson was reared in Darby township, Union county, Ohio, where he was born and has been a life-long farmer.  He owns a farm of two hundred and twenty acres in Paris township, where he lived until five years old, when he moved to Marysville to spend his declining years.  His wife died in 1899, at the age of about sixty.  Both were members of the Presbyterian church and Mr. Robinson is a deacon in the Marysville church at the present time.  He has been a prominent man in his community and has held various township offices during his active career.
     The paternal grandparents of Aaron W. Robinson were John W. and Mary (Mitchell) Robinson, pioneer settlers of Union county, Ohio.  They came here when the Indians were roaming the forest and here they built their home in the dense woods and commenced life under pioneer conditions.  He lived to be about fifty-six years of age and his widow survived him many years, being about eighty-five at the time of her death.  The grandparents of Aaron F. Robinson reared a large family of children, Mitchell, James W., Aaron B., John W., Robert, Emma, Martha and some who died in childhood.
     The  maternal grandparents of Aaron F. Robinson were Daniel and Mary (Gladden) Coe, natives of Pennsylvania and early settlers in Union county.  Mary Gladden came to this county with her parents when she was a little girl.  In 1849, during the gold field excitement, Daniel Coe made the long overland trip to California and died out west.  His widow remained in Ohio and died on the old home place where she had started housekeeping in Union county and was buried in the Milford Center cemetery.  A large family of children were born to Daniel Coe and wife, Philip, Joseph, Moses, Mary, Sarah, Mattie, Olive, Jennie and some who died in childhood.
     Aaron F. Robinson was reared on his father's farm in Paris township, attended the country schools of the neighborhood and later graduated from the Marysville high school in 1883.  He then taught school for five years, spending three terms in the district schools of Union township, one term in Paris township and one term in the high school at New California.  He then married and went to farming in White county, Indiana, and farmed for five years near Reynolds.  He went to Monticello, Indiana, in 1892 and engaged in fire and life insurance for two years, after which he went to Chalmers, Indiana, and embarked in the hardware business.  A few years later he moved back to Union county, Ohio, and went on the road as a traveling salesman for the Warder, Bushnell & Glessner Company at Springfield, Ohio.  He also traveled for a time for the Detroit Heating and Lighting Company.  He spent about four years on the road and in 1900 came to Milford Center, Union county, Ohio, and bought the store with which he has since been connected.  He purchased the store of Thompson & Connor and later took Mr. Connor into the business with him.  Mr. Connor was his partner for two years and then F. C. Richter bought Mr. Connor's interest, and it has since been known as the Robinson & Richter Company.  They have a large and well assorted stock of general hardware and have built up a big business in Milford Center and the surrounding community.
     Mr. Robinson was married Feb. 24, 1887, to Harriett Burnham. the daughter of Nicholas and Emeline (Hopkins) Burnham.  To this union three children have been born.  Ernest, Lucille and Carrie.  Lucille who has taught five years, graduated in the 1915 class of Wooster College.  Carrie has taught for three years in the Milford Center high school. 
     Mrs. Robinson was born in Union township, Union county, Ohio, and her parents, both now deceased, were also natives of this county.  There were four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Burnham, Albert, Simeon, Elizabeth and Harriett.  The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Robinson were Jacob and Eliza (Meacham) Burnham.  They had three children, Nicholas, Hiram and Eliza.  Jacob Burnham died Apr. 23, 1866, and his wife died Aug. 30, 1886.  Jacob Burnham was a son of Eliphaz, who, in turn, was the son of Ebenezer Burnham.  Ebenezer Burnham was born in Windsor, Vermont, Nov. 23, 1761.  The maternal grandparents of Mrs. Robinson were Benjamin and Elizabeth (Williams) Hopkins.  They were one of the pioneer families of Union county, Ohio, where they lived to old age.  Six children were born to Benjamin Hopkins and wife, Emeline, John, George, William, Mary Ann and Harriett.
     Mr
. Robinson and his family are consistent members of the Presbyterian church, to which they give their earnest support.  He is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, Royal Arch Masons, Raper Commandery of Urbana and Aladdin Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.  He also holds his membership with the Milford Center Knights of Pythias.  In politics, he has been a life long Republican and has been one of the leaders of his party in local affairs.  He has served as trustee of his township, as a member of the school board for several terms and has also been a member of the city council.  In addition to his interests in the hardware business he is a director in the Maddock Textile Company, of Milford Center.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 680

Benjamin L. Robinson
BENJAMIN LEE ROBINSON.     One of the largest farmers and most successful stock raisers of Darby township, Union county, Ohio, is Benjamin Lee Robinson, who was born in the township where he is now living about fifty years ago.  Practically all of his life has been spent in this county and all that he has today has been earned by his own unaided efforts.  His fine farm of two hundred acres on the Unionville and Marysville road, eight miles south of Marysville, is a splendid tribute to his industry and perseverance.  He has taken a prominent part in township and county affairs and has filled the office of county commissioner with credit to himself, as well as the office of township trustee.  In every phase of his community's life he has borne his share of the burden and for this reason is eminently entitled to a place among the representative men of his township and county.
     Benjamin Lee Robinson, the son of Alexander and Edith (Penrose) Robinson, was born Jan. 17, 1860, in the town of Unionville Center, Union county, Ohio.  His father was born in this same township and was the son of Thomas Robinson and wife, natives of Scotland.  Thomas Robinson came to this country from his native land and located in Union county, where he and his wife reared a family of several children, Thomas, Alexander, Moderwell, Patterson, Dickson, and others who died in childhood.  Alexander Robinson grew to manhood in this county, married and had two children, Charles and Benjamin Lee Charles Robinson married Lily Shank and has four children, Joseph, Edith, Harold and Wayne Alexander Robinson was a farmer and stock buyer most of his life although he was in the grocery business early in life.  He died when a young man.
     Benjamin Lee Robinson first went to the Unionville Center schools and later, after the death of his father, he went with his mother to Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and attended school in that place.  Before reaching his majority, he was put out to work for his board and clothes and when old enough he began working out for himself by the month.  Before his marriage he bought a small tract of nine acres and with this humble start on his agricultural career, he has made rapid strides toward pecuniary independence.  His present farm of two hundred acres indicated in a measure the success which has attended his efforts.  He has made all the improvements on his farm and now has one of the most beautiful country homes in the county.
     Mr. Robinson was married in 1882 to Sarah Andrews, the daughter of Monroe and Anna (Sager) Andrews.  To this union have been born three children:  Guy, of Union township, who married Clara McCloud and has one daughter, Rachel; Anna, who is still at home; and Ethel, who is teaching school at Unionville Center.
     The father of Mrs. Robinson was born in Rutledge, Vermont, in 1814, and came to this county with his father when a young lad.  His parents died when he was still a boy and he was bound out, as was the custom of his day, to a man who agreed to take him and give him schooling and furnish him with clothes.  However, he ran away from the man to whom he was bound out and went to Urbana, Ohio, where he learned the trade of a blacksmith.  Later he went on a farm and eventually became the manager of an elevator at Unionville Center.  Twelve children were born to Monroe Andrews and wife, four who died in infancy, Elizabeth, Mrs. Alvira Smith, Mrs. Sarah Robinson, Ira, Anthony, Edgar, Tinnie and Rilla.
     The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and interested in its welfare.  Politically, Mr. Robinson is a stanch Republican and has always been active in political affairs in his township and county.  He served with credit for six years as commissioner of Union county and at the present time is filling the important positions of trustee and member of the school board of the township.  In every capacity where he has served his fellow citizens he has given them faithful and efficient service and is richly deserving of the high esteem in which he is held throughout the county.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 792
  EDWIN H. ROBINSON

 

Source: History Unioyr5rr5r5r5rr5r5rrrrrn County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 872

 

F. SCOTT ROBINSON.     The Robinson family, worthily represented by F. Scott Robinson, have been residents of Union county, for more than ninety years, and have been leaders in the affairs of this county during all of that time.  Mr. Robinson has been a life-long farmer and now owns one hundred and twenty-eight acres of well improved land in Darby township.
     F. Scott Robinson, the son of David M. and Mary J. (Valentine) Robinson, was born in Union county, Ohio, Jan. 27, 1864.  His parents reared a family of five children, four of whom are still living:  John W., born Sept. 6, 1854, married Rosa A. Robinson, June 13, 1878, the daughter of William H. Robinson; Albernon M., born Dec. 19, 1855, and now a resident of Unionville Center; David E., born Jan. 24, 1858, married Ada K. Shively, Mar. 22, 1883, now living in Akron, Ohio; F. Scott, with whom this narrative deals, and one who died in infancy.
     David M. Robinson
was born in Union county, Ohio, Sept. 1, 1824, the son of John W. and Elizabeth Robinson.  John W. Robinson was born Feb. 11, 1803, and died May 6, 1853.  His wife, Elizabeth Robinson, was born May 27, 1803, and died Sept. 18, 1872.  John W. Robinson and wife, the grandparents of F. Scott Robinson, came to Union county, Ohio, from Pennsylvania shortly after the organization of the county.  They were true pioneers and underwent many hardships in their early married life in this county.  At one time Mrs. Robinson had a narrow escape from being run down by a pack of wolves.  She was going through the woods carrying a lunch to her husband when she was beset by them, but fortunately escaped from being injured.  John W. Robinson was a prominent man in Darby township for many years, and held the office of justice of the peace for a long time.  David M. Robinson and Mary J. Valentine were married Oct. 5, 1853, at Frankfort, Ohio; he died Aug. 5, 1907, and his widow is now living with her son, Algernon, at the advanced age of eighty-three.  David M. Robinson was a life-long farmer and an elder in the Presbyterian church for more than fifty years.
     F. Scott Robinson was educated in the schools of Union county and remained at home until his marriage.  He then began farming for himself on a part of the old homestead farm, and here he has been living for nearly thirty years.  He divides his attention between the raising of grain and live stock in such a way as to secure the maximum results from his labors.
     Mr. Robinson was married Oct. 9, 1886, to Viola Wetzel, a daughter of Abraham and Fannie (Huntzberger) Wetzel, and to this union two sons have been born. H. E. and Roy F.   H. E. was born June 14, 1888, and is a graduate of the Unionville high school and the Lima Business College.  He was married Sept. 27, 1909, to Lela Mapes, a daughter of L. O. and Louisa (Brown) Mapes. and has one son, Leroy Robinson, who was born June 27, 1912.  H. E. Robinson and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Unionville Center, while he is a Republican in politics.  Roy F. Robinson attended the schools of his neighborhood and graduated from the Unionville Center high school.  He was married on Mar. 23, 1912, to Christina Schoby, and to them have been born one son, Russell, born Sept. 9, 1914.  Roy is now living in Unionville Center.
     Mr. Robinson has been a life-long Republican, but has never taken an active part in political matters.  He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church, to which they give their hearty support at all times.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 823

 

GUY A. ROBINSON.     The Elite stock farm, which lies about two miles east of Milford Center, is the home of Guy A. Robinson, one of the most prosperous young farmers and stock raisers of Union county, Ohio.  The Robinson family have been residents of Union county for many years and prominent factors in every phase of its history.  Mr. Robinson excels as a stock raiser, his hogs, sheep, cattle and horses are all registered stock and find a ready sale throughout many states of the Union.
     Guy a A. Robinson, the son of Benjamin and Sarah (Andrews) Robinson, was born in Darby township, Union county, Ohio, Dec. 4, 1882.  His parents were both born in the same township, his father being a son of Alexander and Edith (Penrose) Robinson.  Three children have been born to Benjamin Robinson and wife, Guy A., Anna and Ethel.  The two others are living with their parents near Unionville Center, this county.
     Guy A. Robinson was educated in the common schools of his township and then graduated from the high school at Unionville Center.  He remained at home until his marriage and then began farming for himself on his present farm of one hundred and thirty-four acres in Union township.  He gives most of his attention to stock raising and handles Poland China hogs, Shorthorn cattle, Shropshire sheep and Percheron horses, and all of his stock is eligible to registry.  He gives particular attention to his hogs and cattle and ships them for breeding purposes over many of the Eastern states.
     Mr. Robinson was married Feb. 14, 1907, to Clara McCloud, the daughter of David and Clariet (Morse) McCloud, both of whom were natives of this county.  Mrs. Robinson's mother died in 1904, while her father is now living with Mr. and Mrs. Robinson.  Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. McCloud, three of whom died young, while one is the wife of Mr. Robinson, and Bertha, who married S. J. Craig, of this township.  Mr. Robinson and his wife have one daughter, Rachel, who was born Feb. 27, 1912.
     Fraternally, Mr. Robinson is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, of Marysville, and the Knights of Pythias at Milford Center.  The Republican party has claimed his support since he reached his majority, although he has never taken an active interest in political matters.  Mr. Robinson is still a young man and is at the beginning of a long and useful career, and it is safe to assume that in the years to come he will be ranked among the most substantial farmers and stock raisers of his county.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 838


James E. Robinson

JAMES E. ROBINSON.     Standing out distinctly as one of the central figures of the bar of his county, is the name of James E. Robinson, of Marysville, Ohio.  Prominent in the legal circles and equally so in public matters in his county, with a reputation in one of the most exacting professions, he has won a name for service in a calling which has included many of the representative men of Union county.  Characterized by perseverance and directing spirit, two virtues that never fail, such men always make their presence felt and the vigor of their strong personalities serve as a stimulant and incentive to the young and rising generation.  To this energetic and enterprising class Mr. Robinson very rightfully belongs.
     James E. Robinson, an attorney at Marysville, Ohio, was born in Paris township, Aug. 15, 1868.  He is the son of John W. and Sarah (Coe) Robinson.  His father was born in Darby township, in January, 1831, and is still living in Marysville.  John W. Robinson was actively engaged in farming until 1911 when he retired from active farm life and moved to Marysville to spend his declining years.  He and his wife are the parents of seven children; J. Heber, of Marysville; Mary E., the wife of Allen E. Plate, of Marysville; Aaron F., of Milford Center, a hardware merchant; Jennie C., the wife of Albert Burnham, a farmer of this county; Carrie B., the widow of John M. Longbrake, of Marysville; J. Clyde, of Milford Center, and James E.
    
The boyhood days of James E. Robinson were spent on his father's farm in this county.  He received a good common school education and then graduated from the Marysville high school, after which he spent two years in Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware and one year at the State University at Columbus.  He studied law with an uncle and took a course of law for one year in the university, being admitted to the bar in 1893.  For the first six years he practiced his profession at Richwood and rapidly forged to the front as one of the leading lawyers of his county.  He was elected on the Republican ticket to the office of prosecuting attorney and served two terms in this capacity, giving entire satisfaction to the citizens of his county irrespective of their political affiliations.  At the expiration of his second term he formed a law partnership with William T. Hoops, and in the fall of 1912 Clarence A. Hoops entered the partnership.  On Sept. 16, 1914, W. T. Hoops died and the firm name is now Robinson & HoopsMr. Robinson has been connected with many of the most noted legal cases coming before the bar of Union county and has won a reputation as a pleader before the jury which has extended far beyond the confines of his immediate county.
     Mr. Robinson was married May 31, 1895, to Lulu D. Flickinger, the daughter of J. M. and Sarah (Haines) Flickinger. Mrs. Robinson is a graduate of the Richwood high school.  To this union four children have been born: Pauline, a graduate of the Marysville high school and now a student in Miami University; Sarah L. and Eloise, students in the high school at Marysville, and James Edgar, who is still in the grades.
     Mr. Robinson and his family arc members of the First Presbyterian church of Marysville and are generous contributors to its maintenance.  Politically, he has always been identified with the Republican party and has been one of its leaders in county affairs for many years.  He is a man of sterling qualities and because of his high professional standing he is eminently deserving of the position he holds in the esteem and confidence of his fellow citizens.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 604

 

HON. JAMES W. ROBINSON.     Among the few men who had the honor to represent this district in Congress was the late J. W. Robinson of Union county.  He was a lawyer of much ability; studied under Otway Curry; graduated at the Law School of Cincinnati in the spring of 1851.  The same season he was admitted to the bar in London, Madison county, immediately forming a law partnership with Mr. Otway Curry, the same continuing until the death of the latter in 1855, except about one year.   Then after a few years alone he took for his partner his brother, Col. A. B. Robinson.  In 1869 Leonidas Piper was admitted to the firm, and after that it was known far and near as one of the ablest firms in law in central Ohio.
     In 1851 Mr. Robinson was elected prosecuting attorney, in 1858 was elected to a seat in the State Legislature and re-elected in 1860.  In 1864, upon the resignation of A. J. Sterling, he was elected to fill the vacancy caused by that officer's resignation.  In 1872 he was elected to Congress, served two years and was a candidate in 1874 for re-electon, but that was an "off year" with Republicans in Ohio and he was defeated.  After his return from Washington his health became impaired and he did not press his law business with his usual vigor.

Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 805

 

PEARL O. ROBINSON.     The Robinson family has been identified with the history of Union county, Ohio, since the year 1800, when Samuel Robinson received a deed for six hundred acres in what is now Darby township, for the sum of seven hundred dollars.  The patent for the land was signed by John Adams, then the President of the United States, and Timothy Pickering, the secretary of state.  This large tract of land has been in the hands of the Robinson family since that time, and Pearl O. Robinson, whose history is here presented, owns, in partnership with his brother, Louis B., two hundred and forty-seven acres of the original homestead.
     Samuel Robinson, the first member of the family to come to Union county, was born in York county, Pennsylvania, in 1774, and came to Ohio as a surveyor with a man by the name of Sullivan in the latter part of the eighteenth century.  They surveyed all of the land through this section of Ohio and subsequently Mr. Sullivan deeded Samuel Robinson six hundred acres in Darby township, although it was many years after this before Union county was created.  Samuel Robinson and wife reared a family of six children, Dickson, James, Hunter, Margaret, Martha and JosephMargaret married Samuel McCullough and Martha married Richard Beard.  Martha is the only one of these six children now living and she makes her home in Cleveland, Ohio, with her daughter.
     James
Robinson, one of the sons of the first member of this family to come to Union county, is the grandfather of Pearl O. RobinsonJames Robinson, familiarly known to his friends as "Groundhog Jim," was born in 1816 in Darby township on the same farm now owned by Pearl O. and Louis B. Robinson. James Robinson and wife were the parents of two children, Bruce and Fredonia, who died at the age of eighteen.  James Robinson died m 1872.
     Bruce Robinson, the father of Pearl O., was born in Union county, Nov. 9. 1845, and died in July, 1909.  His wife, Irene Baxter, was born in Champaign county, Ohio, Jan. 18, 1845, and died in February, 1909.  Bruce Robinson and Irene Baxter were married Dec. 4, 1866, and to them were born four children, three of whom are living: Pearl O., of Darby township; Lacy M., a teacher in the Normal school at Plain City, Ohio; and Louis Baxter, who makes his home in Plain City.
     Pearl O. Robinson was born in Darby township, Union county, Ohio, Sept. 12, 1869, and has spent his whole life in Union county.  He received a good common school education and later graduated from the Plain City high school.  He then entered the University of Michigan and graduated from that university.  For the next sixteen years he was in the school room as a teacher.  He taught in the Dwight L. Moody School of Massachusetts, the high school at St. Louis and the High School of Commerce in New York City.  He then resigned in order to take up the general agency of the G. & C. Merriam & Company, publishers, for the state of Ohio, and he and his brother now represent this company, who are the publishers of the Webster International Dictionary.  He owns, in partnership with his brother, two hundred and forty-seven acres of the old homestead, although he now makes his home one and one-third miles north of Plain City in Jerome township.  He has a beautiful country home surrounded by eight acres of land well laid out.  He and his brother give their careful supervision to their farm and rank among the most extensive stock raisers in the township.  They raise full-blooded Percheron horses and red Duroc Jersey hogs.
     Pearl O. Robinson was married June 26, 1901, to Elizabeth M. Lane, the daughter and only child of Doctor ]Milton and Sophronia (McCloud) Lane, both of whom are deceased.  Doctor Lane was born in Indiana and his wife was born in Amity, Ohio.  Doctor Lane was a graduate of the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia and his wife was a graduate of the Women's Medical College of Chicago.  He died Sept. 16, 1889, and his widow died Sept. 10, 1904.  Mr. Robinson and wife are the parents of four children, three of whom are living: James L., born Sept. 30, 1903; Martha Ann, born Sept. 23, 1906; and Jane Osborne, born Feb.  7, 1909, Elizabeth May, a twin sister of Martha Ann, died at the age of five months.
     Fraternally, Mr. Robinson is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, of Plain City.  He and his family are members of the Presbyterian church and he is serving as an elder in his denomination.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 630

 

THOMAS L. ROBINSON.    The Robinson family located in what is now Union township, Union county, Ohio, in the year 1800, and the family have been actively and prominently identified with the history of this county since that year.  James D. Robinson, the father of Thomas L. was the son of Thomas Robinson, who located in the county in 1805.  Thomas Robinson, who was the grandfather of Thomas L. Robinson, with whom this narrative deals, had two brothers, James and Samuel, who located in this county in 1800, although the county was not formally organized until several years later.
     The late Thomas L. Robinson, was born in Jerome township, Union county, Aug. 4, 1858, and died at his home in Leesburg township, Dec. 14, 1911.  He was a son of James D. and Algilana (Wood) (Mitchell) Robinson, his mother being a daughter of Luther and Rosanna Wood. and the widow of Albert Mitchell  Six children were born to James D. Robinson and wife:  James E., Thomas L., Albert W., Henry M., Myrtle, and Ida, who died in infancy.
     James D. Robinson was born in Darby township, Feb. 9, 1816, and died in Plain City, Ohio, June 1, 1900.  He was the son of Thomas and Sarah (Moderwell) Robinson, who emigrated from York county, Pennsylvania, in 1805, and settled on the farm where their son, James D., the father of Thomas L., was born.  Thomas Robinson the grandfather of Thomas L., was born in 1776, and died in Jerome township, in this county, in 1853.  Six children were born to Thomas and Sarah (Moderwell) RobinsonPatterson; Sarah J., the wife of George Pollock; James D.; Thomas; John M.; and Alexander.
     James D. Robinson
lived on his father's farm in Darby township until he reached the age of twenty, when he married Martha Eliza Mitchell, the daughter of George and Margaret Mithell, their marriage occurring Jan. 12, 1838.  He continued to reside on his father's farm until Sept. 20, 1850, at which time his wife died.  Three children were born to this first marriage of James D. Robinson and wife:  Thomas Fulton, who died in infancy; Martha, the wife of W. L. Curry, and Georgiana, the widow of the late Otway Curry.  After the death of his first wife, James D. Robinson married Mrs. Algilana (Wood) Mitchell, and in 1868, moved with his family to Piqua, Ohio, where he lived until 1878.  In that year he returned to Union county and lived on the Rickard farm near Plain City, for a few years.  He also lived in Leesburg township for a time, but in 1889 he moved with his family to Marysville, where he lived for the next several years.  He then removed to Plain city, where he was living at the time of his death in 1900.
     Thomas L. Robinson was educated in the district schools of Union county, and completed his education at Piqua, Ohio.  He was married Dec. 5, 1888, to Mary Clevenger, the daughter of John P. and Harriett (Wells) Clevenger, and to this union two children were born, Walter W., born Nov. 12, 1894, and Frances W., born June 21, 1899.
     Mr. Robinson's father, John P. Clevenger, was born in Green county, Ohio, Mar. 19, 1825, while her mother was born Jan. 2, 1827.  Mr. Clevenger came with his parents to Union county, Ohio, when he was nine years of age and settled on a farm near Pharisburg.  He remained at home until his marriage, Dec. 8, 1850, to Harriet Wells, a daughter of James and Elizabeth Wells.  Mr. and Mrs. Clevenger lived happily together and were permitted to enjoy their golden wedding anniversary.  Four children were born to them, James T., Warren W., David L., and Mary E., and all of them participated in the fiftieth anniversary of their parents' marriage with the exception of David, who died in infancy.  Mrs. Clevenger was born near Bainbridge, in Ross county, Ohio, and came with her parents to Union county when a small girl, and settled in Leesburg township.    After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Clevenger went to housekeeping on the farm where they resided until the death of Mr. Clevenger, May 20, 1910.  Mrs. Clevenger now lives a part of the time with her son, Warren W., and the remainder of the time with her daughter, Mrs. Thomas L. Robinson.
     Mr. Robinson
owned a well-improved farm of one hundred and fifteen acres at the time of his death.  The farm is one of the most productive in the county, and is now managed by his two sons.  Mr. Robinson was a member of the Knights of Pythias at Pharisburg.  He was reared in the Presbyterian faith, but since there was no church of this denomination near his home, he became a member of the Congregationalist church and gave to it his hearty support.  He was superintendent of the Sunday school for several years and was an elder in the church at the time of his death.  The Robinson family have all been stanch Presbyterians and for more than a century this family have been prominent in this denomination.  Politically, Mr. Robinson was a Republican and had served his fellow citizens as trustee of Leesburg township.  He was a man of high ideals, devoted to his home and family and lived such a life as to commend himself to those around him.
Source: History Union County, Ohio - Publ. by B. F. Bowen & Company, Inc., Indianapolis, Ind. - 1915 - Page 642

NOTES:

 

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
UNION COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights