OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 


Welcome to
Williams County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

.

BIOGRAPHIES

Source #3
Commemorative Biographical Records
of
Northwestern Ohio

including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton.
Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co.
1899

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< PLEASE CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX LIST
>

  DANIEL COLBORNE McTAGGART, M.D.  The medical fraternity of this section is noted for skill and learning, leadership therein not being easily obtained, and the subject of this sketch, a well-known physician of Bryan, may well take pride in his high standing.  Thorough preparation, united with fine natural gifts, assured his success from the start, even against able professional competitors, while his worth as a man and a citizen has contributed largely to the esteem in which he is held in the community.
    Dr. McTaggart is of Scotch descent, and displays the best characteristics of that "canny" race.  His ancestral home was at Tarbert, Argyleshire (a small seaport not far from Glasgow, Scotland), at the mouth of the river Clyde, where the family has for several generations been connected with the fishing business. John McTaggart, his grandfather, was well advanced in years when he decided to seek a new home in Canada, and in 1844 he set sail from Liverpool with his entire family except one daughter, who married Archibald McMillan and went to Australia.  On landing at New York they immediately proceeded to Elgin county, Canada West (now Ontario), locating in the vicinity of St. Thomas.  The region was then covered with primitive forest, and the journey was made for many miles along a narrow trail through the woods; but the shrewd pioneer had faith in the future of the locality and purchased a tract of six hundred and forty acres, which he and his sons cleared and improved.  He and his estimable wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Love, died there, and the remains of both were interred in the cemetery at St. Thomas.
     Of the five sons, the eldest, Archibald, who was married in Scotland, took up government land near Port Bruce, in the same county, where he erected a sawmill, and he still (1898) resides there at the advanced age of ninety-four.  John was married in Scotland, and made his home upon a part of his father's purchase.  Duncan, who was also married in Scotland, located on a portion of the new homestead.  Godfrey married in Scotland, and his death occurred in Canada some years ago.  Donald, our subject's father, located on the homestead, and thus the family was kept practically in one neighborhood.  The descendants are now numerous in that locality, and the name is associated with a high order of citizenship.
     The late Donald McTaggart was born in Scotland in 1814, and was educated for the ministry, the family being devout Presbyterians; but after seven years of study in a theological seminary he abandoned the idea, preferring agricultural work at the new home.  At the time of the removal to Canada he was about twenty-three years old and unmarried, and not long after his arrival he was married at the homestead to a Miss Esseltine.  She died some years later, and he formed a second union, with Miss Sarah House, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Bacon) House, and a direct descendant of Lord Bacon, of England.  By his first marriage there were two sons: John, who married Irene Stokes, and Isaac, who married Almeda Topping, both brothers being now residents of Springfield, Ontario.  By the second union there were four children: Henry Alexander, who graduated at a medical college and engaged in practice at Yellow Springs, Ohio, where he died in the fall of 1877, at the early age of twenty-four, unmarried; Daniel C., our subject, who is mentioned more fully below; Mary, wife of William H. Healey, of Longwood, Florida, and Sarah M., who died at the age of four years.  The mother of this family is still living, at the age of seventy-seven, and makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Healey.
     The father died at the old homestead in Canada in 1891, aged seventy-seven, having resided there continuously for nearly fifty years.  He was greatly respected in the community for his high character, and although he was never an office seeker he took an active and influential part in local affairs, and in the work of the Reform party, frequently serving as a delegate to county conventions.  During his earlier years he was engaged in the lumber business, but later he devoted his attention to agriculture.  In religious faith he was at first a Presbyterian, having been reared in that Church, but after his second marriage he united with the Methodist Church, of which he remained a devout member.  His earnestness and zeal in the cause was shown in many ways, and for years he was in active service as a class leader and superintendent of the Sunday-school.
     Doctor McTaggart was born July 19, 1856, and his boyhood was spent at the old home in Canada, his education being begun at Mapleton with Doctor Leonard Luton as his first teacher.  Later he attended the grammar school at Springfield, Ontario, and when about eighteen years old he entered upon an apprenticeship with a brother in the carpenter and house building business.  At the age of twenty-four he began the study of medicine at St. Thomas, his preceptor being Doctor Leonard Luton, under whom he had begun his elementary education years before in the schools of Mapleton, and who had later established a fine practice as a physician.  In the fall of 1885 our subject entered Pulte Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1887 he finished his course, being one of six students in a class of twenty-six to take special honors.  On April 1, of the same year he located at Bryan, engaging in general practice, and he speedily built up a large and lucrative business.  He is a prominent member of the Homeopathic Medical Society of Ohio, and at present holds the office of medical examiner of the Pulaski Council, National Union, and of Friendship Hive of the Knights of Ladies of the Maccabees, both at Bryan.  In politics the Doctor is a stanch Republican, and although he does not aspire to official distinction his interest in educational affairs has led him to accept a place on the board of education of his city.  He and his family are identified with the Church of Christ at Bryan, and they are connected with the bet social circles of the locality.  Their home on the southeast corner of Main and Mulberry streets is a pleasant one, being both tasteful and commodious, and the Doctor occupies an elegant suite of offices there, consisting of three rooms on the ground floor.
     On December 6, 1880, Doctor McTaggart was married at Mapleton, Ontario, Canada, to Miss Addie E. White,  and the following children have blessed this union: Eva A. born Sept. 6, 1881, who died June 27, 1896; Hazel S., born Dec. 11, 1885; Mildred, born Mar. 10, 1889; and Kenneth White, was born June 25, 1897.  Mrs. McTaggart is a daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth (Hull) White, prominent residents of Mapleton, Ontario, her father having been for a number of years a magistrate at that place.  He was born near Stuttgart, Germany, and in early life engaged in business as an architect and builder, having been thoroughly trained for successful work in those lines.  For a number of years he resided near Toronto, but since retiring from business he has made his home upon a farm at Mapleton.  He and his estimable wife have reared a family of seven children: David, who married Miss Annie L. Linderderry, and resides at the homestead; Miss Carrie, who resides with her parents; Tillie, who married Doctor G. H. Gilbert, of Cleveland, Ohio, and has a son, Doctor F. at Marysville, Ohio; Annie, wife of Doctor I. B. Patterson, of Milford, Indiana; Addie E., wife of our subject; and Charles A., a practicing physician at Cleveland, Ohio.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton.  Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899  - Page 228.
  JONATHAN MARKEL.     More than half a century has passed since this gentleman arrived in Williams county, and he is justly numbered among her honored pioneers and leading citizens. During this time he has been actively identified with her agricultural interests, and is now residing in Section 4, Pulaski township. His valuable farm of one hundred and fifty-two acres was a wild wooded tract when he purchased it in 1848, paying for the same about five hundred dollars, but his arduous labors have been well rewarded, and it is now one of the best and most attractive farms in the community.
     A native of Ohio, Mr. Markel was born January 1, 1825, in Pickaway county, a son of Abraham and Mary (Stumpf) Markel, natives of Berks county, Pennsylvania. In connection with farming the father also followed carpentering for some years in Pickaway county, Ohio, whither he had removed in an early day. There he died in March, 1845, aged sixty-two years, and his wife passed away at the residence of her daughter in Jefferson township, Williams county, at the age of eighty-two years. Eight children constituted their family, namely: Amos, Jacob, Margaret, Mary, Jonathan, Hester, and two who died in infancy.
     On his father's farm in Pickaway county, Jonathan Markel continued to reside until coming to Williams county in the spring of 1845, working for his brother Amos, in Jefferson township, three seasons, and for A. W. Boynton, at Pulaski, for one year. In 1849 he located upon his present farm in Pulaski township, which he had purchased the year previous, and to its cultivation and improvement he has since devoted his energies with gratifying results. In March, 1882, he had the misfortune to have his house and its contents destroyed by fire, but has since erected a pleasant residence, and the other buildings upon the place are in harmony therewith.
     On July 4, 1849, Mr. Markel was married to Miss Sarah Jane Clampitt, who was born in Wayne county, Indiana, May 8, 1825, a daughter of John and Mary (Beeson) Clampitt, both natives of Guilford county, North Carolina, the former born May 21, 1803, the latter on June 12, 1804. In 1840 Mr. and Mrs. Clampitt came to Pulaski, Williams county, Ohio, where he worked at his trade of blacksmithing until his death, which occurred June 2, 1854. Subsequently his wife found a pleasant home with our subject, where she passed away February 21, 1882. They were the parents of nine children: Sarah J., David A., Elizabeth E., Edward B., Benjamin F., Mary, Samantha C, John W. and Jabez B. Mr. and Mrs. Markel have reared two children, namely: Sarah E. Boynton, now the wife of Bartlett Thompson; and Florence Rose Leek, wife of Sherman Kelly.
     Politically Mr. Markel is a Republican, and his fellow citizens, recognizing his worth and ability, have elected him to several local offices of honor and trust. For the long period of seventeen years he creditably served as trustee of Pulaski township, and for six years was infirmary director. Both he and his wife are leading and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Pulaski, and enjoy the respect and esteem of all who have the pleasure of their acquaintance. For almost fifty years they have traveled life's journey together, sharing with each other its joys and sorrows, its adversity and prosperity, and now in their declining days they are surrounded by a host of warm friends who appreciate their sterling worth.
Source: Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton.  Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899  - Page .276

NOTES:

 

NOTES:

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
WILLIAMS COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights