OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 


Welcome to
Williams County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

 

BIOGRAPHIES

Source #3
Commemorative Biographical Records
of
Northwestern Ohio

including the counties of
Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton.
Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co.
1899

< BACK TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< PLEASE CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX LIST
>


Lydia J. Imes
Thomas H. Imes
THOMAS H. IMESMr. Imes, who after years of honest toil is now living retired in the village of Williams Center, Williams county, has spent his entire life in Ohio, his birth occurring in Morrow county, Oct. 2, 1833.
     Mr. Imes was reared upon a farm, and when a young man learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for eight years prior to entering the Union army during the Rebellion.  On Aug. 18, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Eight-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private, was afterward promoted to sergeant, and later was commissioned first lieutenant of his company.  For almost three years he was in active service, and participated in many important engagements and numerous skirmishes, including the battles of Resaca, Rome Cross Roads, Dallas and Kennesaw Mountain; following which came the Atlanta campaign, including the battles of the 22d and 28th of July, 1864, and closing with that of Jonesboro, Georgia.  Then came Sherman's march to the sea, and the siege of Savannah.  After leaving Savannah, Jan. 28, 1865, the Eighty-first participated in the engagements at Little Ogeechee river (near that city), after which came the march through the Carolinas, which brought on the following engagements:  North Edisto River (near Orangeburg), Congaree Creek (five miles from Columbia,) and Camden, South Carolina; the campaign ending with the battle of Bentonville, North Carolina, our subject serving up to and including the surrender of Johnston's army at Morrisville, Apr. 21, 1865.  The war ended, he was honorably discharged July 24, 1865.
     Mr. Imes resumed blacksmithing and in the county of his nativity he continued to make his home until 1866, when he removed to Wyandot county, Ohio, following the sawmill business at that place until the spring of 1868.  After a short time spent in Fulton county, he came to Williams county in the fall of 1868, and here has continued to reside.  At first he operated a rented farm in Superior township, but in the spring of 1870 purchased a tract of land in Pulaski township, one and one-half miles north of Bryan, where he made his home for almost thirteen years.  Laying aside business cares he removed to the village of Williams Center, but still owns a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Center township.  He is one of the self-made men of the county, his well-directed efforts, perseverance and enterprise having gained for him a comfortable competence, which now enables him to spend his declining years in ease and retirement from active labor.
     In Morrow county, Ohio, Mr. Imes married Miss Lydia Jane Russell a native of Muskingum county, Ohio, born Mar. 25, 1834.  They have one son, William C. who is engaged in mercantile pursuits in Melbern, Williams county; their only daughter, Ina, died in childhood.  William C. married Estella Clemens, of Williams county, and they have two sons - Wilber C. and Willard C.  Mrs. Lydia Jane Imes is a daughter of James and Lydia (Perkey) Russell, who were pioeers of Muskingum county, Ohio, the father born in Ireland, the mother in Pennsylvania.
     Mr. Imes always gives his political support to the Democratic party, and his most acceptably served as township trustee for six years.  A genial, pleasant gentleman, he has made hosts of friends throughout his adopted county, and has the respect and esteem of all who know him.
Source:  Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton. - Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899 - Page 372
HON. SOLOMON JOHNSON, There are in every community men of great force of character and exceptional ability, who by reason of their capacity for leadership become recognized as foremost citizens, and bear a most important part in the development and progress of the locality with which they are connected.  Such a man is Mr. Johnson, who is prominently identified with Williams county, his home being Section 11, Springfield township.
     A native of Ohio, he was born Mar. 2, 1850, in German township, Fulton county, a son of George of Catherine (Krontz) Johnson.  The father, who was a miller and farmer y occupation, diTed in German township.  Nov. 28, 1855, but the mother is still living.  In their family were three children:  Sarah (widow of William Ufer), Solomon and Simon.
    
In German township, Fulton county, Solomon Johnson continued to make his home until 1861, at which time he came to Springfield township, Williams county, where he grew to manhood upon a farm, becoming thoroughly familiar with agricultural pursuits, and acquiring his early education in the common schools of the neighborhood.  For four terms he attended the Normal school at Bryan, Ohio, and for one term as assistant teacher in that institution.  For some time he followed teaching during the winter season in Williams, Fulton and Defiance counties, Ohio, and for one year taught in that high school at Evansport, Defiance county.
     Mr. Johnson early became interested in public affairs; in the fall of 1878 Williams county, and was defeated by only thirty votes.  In the same fall he entered the Law Department of the Michigan University at Ann Arbor, where he graduated in March, 1880, and in the same spring he was admitted to the Bar in both Michigan and Ohio.  Locating in Bryan, Ohio, in the winter of 1883, he began the practice of his chosen profession, and there made his home for four years.  He now owns and operates an excellent farm of two hundred acres in Section 11, Springfield township, whose will-tilled fields and substantial buildings indicate the thrift and enterprise of the owner.  On it are seventy thousand tiles, all laid by his own hands.
     In Madison township, Williams county, on Sept. 14, 1882, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Florence M. Bostater, who was born in that county Mar. 14, 1862, a daughter of Doctor Andrew J. Bostater, of Fayette, Ohio.  To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born four children: Frank, born Apr. 7, 1884; Walter, born Feb. 10, 1886; Robert, born Sept. 19, 1890; and Albert, born Nov. 1, 1897.  For a year or so prior to her marriage Mrs. Johnson was a teacher in Bryan.  She began to teach when she was only sixteen years old, and taught ten terms before her marriage.
     The Democratic party ahs ever found in Mr. Johnson a stanch supporter, and in the fall of 1881 he was its candidate for the Legislature from his district; but was defeated by Judge Bowersox, of Bryan, by only thirty-eight votes.  In 1883, however, he was elected by a majority of four hundred and thirty-eight votes over that gentleman, and two years later was re-elected, acceptably serving in that responsible position for two terms. While a member of the General Assembly of Ohio, Mr. Johnson, in addition to other measures of less importance, was the author of the law making the lowest grade certificate for schoolteachers valid for one year instead of for six month, as the law then stood.  He considered it unjust that a teacher should be examined twice in the same school year.  He was also the author of the law that makes a deed for real estate valid as against all parties as soon as it is filed for record, and does not leave the purchaser at the mercy of anyone that might deal with until six months after the date of his deed, as formerly.  The Judiciary Committee, to whom this measure was referred, refused to recommend its passage, but notwithstanding the opposition of that committee Mr. Johnson, by a thorough investigation of the subject, was able to show the justice of the proposed law, and thus secured its enactment.
     Mr. Johnson has also filled the office of township assessor for two terms; school examiner five years; a member of the school board in Springfield township eleven years; and president of the board seven years.  The cause of education has ever found in him a warm advocate, and he has done much toward securing a high grade of schools in his community.  Since the latter part of the '70s he has affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and for two years has been president of the Williams County Farmers Institute of Bryan, Ohio.  He has made two trips to Europe in order to study the customs of the people.  Both in public and private life he has been true to every trust reposed in him, conscientiously discharges his duties of citizenship, and justly merits the esteem in which he is held.
Source:  Commemorative Biographical Records of Northwestern Ohio including the counties of Defiance, Henry, Williams & Fulton. - Published at Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co. 1899 - Page 122

NOTES:

 

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
WILLIAMS COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights