Welcome to
Wayne County
Ohio

 

PLAIN TOWNSHIP

Source: History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the pioneers and first settlers to the present time - Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878, 887 pgs.
CHAPTER XX.
(Contributed by Sharon Wick)

 

     PLAIN TOWNSHIP was organized in 1817, and was so named from the plains, or glades, which, to a large extent, constituted its timber growths at the time of its first settlement, and which cover large areas of its surface at the present time.  Its population in 1870 was 1,837.  The list of officers of the township appears on the records as follows:

     Justices of the Peace - George McCauley, July 12, 1832; William Kean, April 19, 1833; Benjamin Rogers, May 30, 1835; William Kean, January 20, 1837; Clinton Wilson, January 30, 1837; James A. Hill, June 4, 1838; C. Wilson, January 13, 1840; H. Edwards, January 13, 1840; Jonas May, January 13, 1840; H. Edwards, December 17, 1842; L. H. Upham, December 17, 1842; M. Kauffman, December 24, 1842; M. Kauffman, December 20, 1845;  Eli Jones, December 20, 1845; C. Wilson, April 12, 1848; M. Kauffman, December 16, 1848; Benjamin Eason, December 16, 1848; James Henry, April 11, 1850; George Young, October 19, 1850; J. H. Downing, November 5, 1852; James Henry, April 19, 1853; D. C. Martin, December 1, 1853; James Henry, April 28, 1856; B. F. Zercher, November 12, 1856; G. W. Horn, April 22, 1857; Abram Soliday, April 19, 1859; B. F. Zercher, October 20, 1859; A. Funk, April 17, 1860; J. K. Forbes, April 13, 1861; James Henry, April 21, 1862; A. Funk, April 17, 1863; D. C. Kean, April 15, 1864; James Henry, April 12, 1865; H. W. Walton, April 11, 1868; Samuel B. Kelley, October 20, 1869; H. W. Walton, April 10, 1871; S. B. Kelley, October 12, 1872; Abram Soliday, April 15, 1873; H. W. Walton, April 14, 1874; William Mellinger, April 12, 1875; Abram Soliday, April 13, 1876.

1817 Trustees - William M. McKinley, Anderson Culbertson, John McBride; Clerk - Thomas McMillen; Treasurer - John Nommon; Constable - James King.
1818 Trustees - Alexander Culbertson, William McKinley, David Myers; Clerk - Thomas McMillen; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - Samuel Larrabee, Thomas Culbertson.
1819 Trustees - Alexander Culbertson, William McKinley, David Myers; Clerk - Thomas McMillen; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - Aaron Ball, Isaac Shinneman.
1821 Trustees - Alexander Culbertson, Thomas Wilson, Absalom Runyon; Clerk - Thomas McMillen; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - James Robison, Philip Yarnell.
1822 Trustees - Absalom Runyon, William Goodfellow, John Tryon; Clerk - Thomas McMillen; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - Philip Yarnell, Isaac Shinneman.
1823 Trustees - John McBride, William Goodfellow, Aaron Bell; Clerk - Amariah Wilson; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - Peter Hines, James King.
1824 Trustees - William Goodfellow, John H. Pile, William Meeks; Clerk - John Tauner; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - Francis McHall, Jeremiah Rogers.
1825 Trustees - William Goodfellow, John H. Pile, William Meeks; Clerk - John Tauner; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - A. Cochran, William Smith.
1826 Trustees - Thomas Wilson, William Meeks, John Felger; Clerk - John Tarr; Treasurer - John Nimmon; Constables - John McFall, Aaron Bell.
1827 Trustees - John Tyler, John Lykes, Philip Arnold; Clerk - John Tarr; Treasurer - Joseph Runyon; Constables - John Kennedy, Stephen Williams.
1828 Trustees - John McBride, William Meeks, Abraham Runyon; Clerk - John Tarr; Treasurer - Joseph Runyon; Constables - John McFall, Stephen Williams.
1829 Trustees - Abraham Runyon, John McBride, Dennis Driskel; Clerk - William Kean; Treasurer - Joseph Runyon; Constables - Alexander Culbertson, Jacob Troxel.
1830 Trustees - William Lovett, Dennis Driskel, Amariah Wilson; Clerk - William Kean; Tresurer - Absalom Runyon, Constables - John Rouch, Frederick Fishburn.
1831 Trustees - Green Yarnell, Elijah Yocum, Stephen Williams; Clerk - William Kean; Treasurer - Absalom Runyon; Constables - John Munhall, Thomas Beaman.
1832 Trustees - Green Yarnell, Thomas Culbertson; James Whitcomb; Clerk - William Kean; Treasurer - Absalom Runyon; Constables - Thomas Beaman, Frederick Fishburn.
1833 Trustees - William Sidel, Benjamin Rogers, Jacob Wachtel; Clerk - John Tryon; Treasurer - Absalom Runyon; Constables - John Munhall, Samuel McKinley.
1834 Trustees - William McKinley, Job Yarnell, Clint Wilson; Clerk - William Kean; Treasurer - Absalom Runyon; Constables - Thomas McCauly, Samuel McKinley.
1835 Trustees - Clinton Wilson, Nathan Wilson, Nathan Warner, William Goodfellow; Clerk - William Kean; Treasurer - Clint Wilson; Constables - Brook Lytle, John Leighty.
1836 Trustees - William McKinley, Peter Troxel, Job Yarnell; Clerk - William Kean; Treasurer - Clint Wilson; Constables - Thomas McCully, William Wagner.
1837 Trustees - David Phillips, Henry Swartz, Jacob Wachtel; Clerk - F. H. Foltz; Treasurer - Alexander Culbertson; Constables - Thoams McCully, Alexander Freeman.
1838 Trustees - Robert Moorhead, Henry Swartz, Daniel Black; Clerk - F. H. Foltz; Treasurer - William Kean; Constables - Alexander McCully, William Mason.
1839 Trustees - Robert Moorhead, Samuel Zimmerman, Jacob Soliday; Clerk - Homer Edwards; Treasurer - Henry Swartz; Constables - Alexander McCully, Jacob Nye.
1840 Trustees - Robert Moorhead, Jacob Soliday, Daniel Black; Clerk - Lucius H. Upham; Treasurer - William Kean; Constables - Alexander McCully, E. R. Fox.
1841 Trustees - Jacob Rouch, Jacob Soliday, William Reed; Clerk - J. K. Forbes; Treasurer - William Kean; Constables - Alexander McCully, Mathias Heath.
1842 Trustees - Jacob Rouch, Alexander Culbertson, Robert Eason; Clerk - J. K. Forbes; Treasurer - Robert Moorhead; Constables - J. R. McBride, John Grimes.
1843 Trustees - Alexander Culbertson, William Kean, Robert Eason; Clerk - J. K. Forbes; Treasurer - Robert Moorhead; Constables - J. R. McBride, Benjamin Grimes.
1844 Trustees - William Kean, D. W. Langdon, John Mellinger; Clerk - J. K. Forbes; Treasurer - Jacob Soliday; Constables - M. Heath, Eli Jones.
1845 Trustees - D. W. Langdon, John Mellinger, James Henry; Clerk - M. C. Shamp; Treasurer - Jacob Soliday; Constable - M. Heath.
1846 Trustees - James Henry, Hugh Funk, John Sidle; Clerk - Michael Kauffman; Treasurer - Jacob Solida; Constables - William McMillen, William Lytle.
1847 Trustees - Hugh Funk, John Sidle, Robert Baird; Clerk - M. Kauffman; Treasurer - Samuel Montgomery; Constable - William McMillen.
1848 Trustees - R. C. Baird, Cyrus Baird, Joseph Overholtzer; Clerk - M. Kauffman; Treasurer - John Sidle; Constable - William Lytle.
1849 Trustees - R. C. Baird, Cyrus Baird, John Mellinger; Clerk - John H. Philips; Treasurer - John Sidle; Constables - Ephraim Miller, H. W. Donaldson.
1850 Trustees - Jacob Soliday, David Horn, George Young; Clerk - H. H. Hostler; Treasurer - John Sidle; Constable - J. B. HIleman.
1851 Trustees - Jacob Soliday, David Horn, William B. Anderson; Clerk - Benjamin Eason; Treasurer - David Frease; Constable - Samuel Wile.
1852 Trustees - J. H. Alexander, John Moon, John McKee; Clerk - H. H. Hostler; Treasurer - David Frease; Constable - Samuel Wile.
1853 Trustees - John Sidle, John Moon, Andrew Romich; Clerk - Jesse Crull; Treasurer - David Frease; Constable - Samuel Wile
1854 Trustees - R. C. Baird, J. M. Miller, C. Mellinger; Clerk - Jesse Crull; Treasurer - David Frease; Constable - D. A. Moon.
1855 Trustees - J. A. Lawrence, E. Smyser, Jonathan Montgomery; Clerk - M. H. Dodd; Treasurer - Jacob Rouch; Constable - John H. Wise.
1856 Trustees - Jonathan Montgomery, A. Soliday, C. Mellinger, Clerk - Benjamin Zercher; Treasurer - David Frease;' Constable - John Shamp.
1857 Trustees - A. Soliday, John Crumlick, C. Mellinger; Clerk - P. S. Baker; Treasurer - David Frease; Constable - George Mullen.
1858 Trustees - D. C. Kean, Joseph Yocum, David Hagerman; Clerk - P. S. Baker; Treasurer - John Sidle; Constable - Henry Walton.
1859 Trustees - D. C. Kean, Joseph Yocum, D. Hagerman; Clerk - P. S. Baker; Treasurer - John Sidle; Constable - Henry Walton.
1860 Trustees - Jacob Smyser, J. A. Lawrence, Jefferson Sellers; Clerk - P. S. Baker; Treasurer - John Sidle; Constable - Henry Walton.
1861 Trustees - John Gruey, A. Soliday, Aaron Baird; Clerk - J. B. Myers; Treasurer - J. H. Alexander; Constable - Samuel Anderson.
1862 Trustees - Mark Wilson, D. W. Lilley, J. A. Raudebaugh; Clerk - H. Hostler; Treasurer - N. W. Smith; Constable - H. W. Walton.
1863 Trustees - Robert Wallace, J. G. Yocum, Mark Wilson; Clerk - H. H. Hostler; Treasurer - N. W. Smith; Constable - G. W. Grindel.
1864 Trustees - A. Raudebaugh, Robert Wallace, MArk Wilson; Clerk - H. H. Hostler; Treasurer - N. W. Smith; Constable - H. W. Walton.
1865 Trustees - A. Soliday, Joseph Hare, William Miller; Clerk - J. B. Myers; Treasurer - David Frease; Constable - Peter Starn.
1866 Trustees - Robert Wallace, A. B. Ebright, Jacob Smyser; Clerk - Augustus Kean; Treasurer - Christain Fair; Constable - Peter Starn.
1867 Trustees - Robert Wallace, A. B. Ebright, George Strock;Clerk - Augustus Kean; Treasurer - Christian Fair; Constable - H. w. Walton.
1868 Trustees - Peter Spangler, S. S. Aylesworth, George Strock; Clerk - A. B. Ebright; Treasurer - Jacob Rouch; Constable - T. W. Kendall.
1869 Trustees - Peter Spangler, S. S. Aylesworth, George Strock; Clerk - A. B. Ebright; Treasurer - Jacob Rouch; Constable - T. W. Kendall.
1870 Trustees - C. H. Palmer, Daniel Webster, J. P. Henderson; Clerk - Eli Zaring; Treasurer - N. W> Smith; Constable - George Arnold.
1871 Trustees - C. H. Palmer, Joab Scruby, J. P. Henderson; Clerk - Eli Zaring; Treasurer - N. W. Smith; Constable - Samuel Fishburn; Assessor - Robert Wallace.
1872 Trustees - C. H. Palmer, Jacob Smyser, Christian Fair; Clerk - S. B. Kelley; Treasurer - Thomas McKee; Assessor - Eli Zaring; Constable - Peter Starn.
1873 Trustees - Jacob Smyser, John Soliday, Philip Rouch; Clerk - S. B. Kelley; Treasurer - Thomas McKee; Assessor - Eli Zaring; Constable - Peter Starn.
1874 Trustees - Philip Rouch, Benjamin Low, William M. Gill; Clerk - S. B. Kelley; Treasurer - Peter Spangler; Assessor - Robert Wallace; Constable - Peter Starn.
1875 Trustees - Benjamin Low, John Sparr, Andrew Raudebaugh; Clerk - S. G. Gill; Treasurer - John Shelly; Assessor - W. H. Sidle; Constable - D. R. Houser.
1876 Trustees - John Sparr, Joseph Martin, Daniel Acker; Clerk - D. C. Kean; Treasurer - Thomas McKee; Assessor - Peter Sparr, Jr.; Constable - H. W. Walters.
1877 Trustees - Daniel Acker, N. W. Smith, J. H. Willour; Clerk - D. C. Kean; Treasurer - Thomas McKee; Assessor - Peter Sparr, Jr.; Constable - H. W. Walters.

FIRST SETTLERS.

     John Collier is supposed to have been the first white settler in what is now Plain township, locating on the James Childs farm.  William Meeks, a native of Virginia, was the second, and settled on the farm now owned by John SidleCyrus Baird was the first Justice of the Peace.  George and David Lozier settled upon the prairies in 1814, south of Blachleyville.  They owned farms, and came from Pennsylvania.  Benjamin White, a shoemaker and preacher, who settled where George Felger lives, and old Dan. Miller, who occupied the farm now owned by William Nirods,, and built a saw-mill as early as 1815, were among the early settlers.  He built the first house in Blachleyville, where Swain's hotel stands, kept tavern, sold whisky, went to Indiana and began practicing medicine.  Augustus Case came in as early as 1814.  John Cassiday was the first school-teacher in that settlement.  Elder French (Baptist) was the first minister. 

PHILIP ARNOLD was born in Lehigh county, Pa.  He removed to Plain township in 1812, and settled upon what was known as the Gillis farm.  After his arrival he purchased 320 acres of land from the Eagles, who had entered it.  He had eleven children.  For months they had no bread in the house, and were compelled to live on venison, honey and potatoes.  His son,Thomas Arnold, a native of the same county, was born in 1802, and came West with his father.  He was married in his twenty-fifth year to Sarah Hines.  He cast his first vote in what was called "Blue school-house."

AARON BAIRD was born in Massachusetts in 1767, and was of old English parentage.  He came to Ohio in 1813, and purchased property in Plain township where the late Cyrus Baird lived.  The next spring he brought his family and continued his residence there until his death, Aug. 7, 1826.  He was married to Eunice Murdock, a native of Massachusetts, and had seven children, four boys, named Kendal, Cyrus, Josiah and Alfred.  He was the first Justice of the Peace in Mohican township, then in Wayne county, holding the office nearly nine years.

CYRUS BAIRD, his son, was born March 2, 1804, and at the age of ten removed to Wayne county with his father, with whom he remained till his death, and had ten children.  Aaron, Cyrus and Morgan are his sons.  He was an enterprising, shrewd business man, and a good specimen of the New England gentleman.  Aaron Baird, his son, lives in Plain township, and is a successful farmer and stock dealer.  He is noted for his hospitality and geniality, which qualities characterize his wife, and hence his house is a home to friends and visitors, where all the pleasantly entertained.  Cyrus is a citizen of Wooster.

WILLIAM B. BLACHLEY, M. D., was born in New Jersey, from which State he removed to Washington county, Pa., where he remained twenty years, when he emigrated to Plain township in 1816.  He was twice married, and was the father of nineteen children.  He practiced medicine in Blachleyville nineteen years, when he removed Valparaiso, Indiana, where he died at the age of seventy-four years.  He was a graduate of Princeton, and a member of the Baptist church.  The village of Blachleyville was named after his family.  His son, William Blachley, M. D., was born in Washington county, Pa., Nov. 27, 1799, and came to Plain township with his father, with whom he read medicine and began practice.  He was married in his twenty-fourth year, to Abigail Wells, a native of New Englad, and had twelve children, ten of whom are dead - two daughters only remaining.  The eldest daughter, Abigail, is married to Dr. Hunt, of Shreve, and the youngest to Captain Benjamin, son of Constant Lake, of Wooster.

ROBERT EASON -

JOHN FOLGATE -

WILLIAM GOODFELLOW -

BENEDICT MELLINGER, SR. -

WILLIAM and HENRY ROUCH -

WILLIAM SIDLE -

JOHN TRYON -

TOWNS IN PLAIN TOWNSHIP.

     Millbrook received is title from General Thomas McMillan, who named it and surveyed it.  It was laid out by Elijah Yocum, Aug. 10, 1829, the plat and certificate recorded next day, and found in County Records, p. 315, vol. 7.  The carding mill to the east of was originally a grist mill, built by McMillen in 1816, for John Nimmon.

     Blachleyville was laid out by William B. and William Blachley, Dec. 16, 1833, after whom it was named.  It was surveyed by George Emery, the plat and certificate recorded March 12, 1834, and found on page 210, vol. 11, County Records.

     Jefferson was laid out June 30, 1829, by Stephen Williams and Alexander Hutchinson, and was surveyed by Peter Emery the plat and certificate recorded July 2, 1829, which can be found on page 276, Book G.  It is favorably situated, four miles west of Wooster, and does considerable business.  It had from an early period find mail facilities, the coach line extending from Wooster to Ashland.  This line having been vacated, it was restored two years ago, Charles Lessiter conducting it for one year, when it passed into the hands of Joshua Warner.  George Waggoner is the Postmaster.

     Reedsburg was laid out by William Reed, after whom it was named, Dec. 13, 1835, and surveyed by George Emery, the plat and certificate being recorded Jan. 4, 1836, and found on page 527, vol. 13.  The first settlers of that neighborhood were, Matthias Starn, Joseph Mowery, John Peters, William Hagerman, and others.

     Springville was laid out by David Brown and surveyed by John A. Lawrence, Dec. 16, 1844, plat and certificate recorded Dec. 4, 1845, the record being on page 33, vol. 28.  It was formerly called Buffalo, or Health's Corners.

     Remains of Buffaloes and Cedar Trees - Between Springville and Millbrook the land-owners in plowing, but more especially in ditching, come in contact with the remains of cedar trees.  Half a century ago immense logs were taken out, three feet from the surface, that had lain there for ages, and were sawed into boards.  Trees were found three and four feet in diameter.  More recently, in ditching in the low lands directly south of Millbrook, have been found more of these cedar relics.  What is mysterious about this is the fact that there are no cedar forests in that section, nor have we any knowledge of them from any source whatever.  South and east of the village on the old Culberson farm, and the one where James Bruce lives, were found buffalo skulls and horns, and remains of human bodies of immense size, were found buffalo skulls and horns, and remains of human bodies of immense size.  Here was a field for the naturalist, antiquarian, archeologist, ethnologist, and man with the encyclopedia, and sweet Gonzales, ever smiling James.

JACOB KISTER -

JOSEPH G. YOCUM -

CHURCHES OF PLAIN TOWNSHIP.

     Reformed Church of Reedsburg -
     Lutheran Church -
     Baptist Church of Millbrook.
 PAGE 650

___________________________
*    

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
WAYNE COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created by Sharon exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights