Source: History of Wayne County, Ohio : from the days of the
pioneers and first settlers to the present time -
Indianapolis, Ind.: R. Douglass, 1878, 887 pgs.
PAINT TOWNSHIP was organized March 5, 1816, and was named so because there was a spring in existence where the village is now located, the waters of which resembled red paint, and imparted its peculiar color to the earth and other objects it touched. The population in 1870 was 1,418.
THE FIRST SETTLER.
The first man that settled in this township was Michael Waxler, who
emigrated from Harrison county in 1810. He was emphatically a
backwoodsman of the highest development of type, dressed in buckskin
breeches, hunting-shirt and moccasins, and usually armed with his
scalping-knife, tomahawk and rifle. As the brave man is proverbially
generous, even so was our hero, and many persons shared his hospitality.
He frequently hunted with old Lyon and Bill Harrison, the former an
ubiquitous character throughout the county, and pseudo-chief of a nameless
tribe of Indians. It is related of Mr. Waxler that he
encamped on e night where Winesburg now is situated, and barely escaped
destruction from a gang of wolves which attacked him, and to which he
offered stout resistance until morning, having, meantime, killed several
and, in true Indian style, scalped them.
OFFICERS OF PAINT
The following is a list of the
Justices of the Peace for Paint township, with date of commission, since
THE MARTYRED LOVERS OF THE FOREST
We will mention James Galbraith's legend of the Popolat Rocks in this connection. These rocks took their name from a young Indian - Prince Oppopolat, or Turkey Gobbler - who was banished from east of the Blue Ridge, in Virginia, by his tribe, before the discovery of America, with Fisfisalee, or Pheasant Tail, with whom he had fallen in love, both of whom lived in their banishment one winter at the Popolat Rocks in Paint township. Oppopolat suffered death from his own tribe for daring to make a wife of Fisfisalee, a beautiful member of a tribe with whom they were at war. It was here that he was seized and carried home to meet his unwelcome doom, whilst Fisfisalee accompanied him to the Ohio and three herself into the river.
THE MOST SINGULAR MAN.
One of the most singular men that ever graced Mt. Eaton was Mr. George Phouts, who got up a political music band in 1840. He was upbraided for his unwarrantable pretensions to piety, when he asserted it was nothing for him, as he had once been a Brigade Inspector, a Representative, a Master Mason, an anti-Mason, a temperance and anti-temperance man, an advocate of universal as well as partial salvation, a persecuted Christian and an abused infidel, a thrice-broken merchant, sometimes an honest man and sometimes a rascal, and that when he was a lawyer he played aristocrat and democrat at different times. He preferred like Cesar, to be the first man in the village than the second in the empire; hence wanted Mt. Eaton incorporated, so he could be its Mayor. He was an ambitious fellow, a phrenological puzzle, and withal a clever fellow, of high talents and varied learning. He quit Mt. Eaton in disgust in 1853, went to Missouri and died there.
Fisher, father of Hiram Fisher, of Paint township, was born in
Virginia, in the year 1765, and removed to Westmoreland county, Penn, in
1771. In 1792-93 he attended a meeting to consider the Excise Law,
then held in Pittsburg, Penn., presided over by Albert Gallatin, who was
born in Geneva, Switzerland, just four years before Mr. Fisher was born in
Virginia. Daniel Bradford was Secretary of the meeting, at which a
committee was appointed to draft resolutions expressive of their feelings,
and present to Congress an address stating their objections and grievances
of the law, and praying for its repeal. He then removed to Jefferson
county, Ohio, near Steubenville, where he lived some ten or twelve years,
when he emigrated to Paint township, Wayne county, in 1814, and settled on
the farm now owned by his son Hiram, where he died May 25, 1849. He
voted for George Washington when he was elected to the Presidency of the
United States the first time in 1788.
Houmard was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, April 29, 1802, and
removed to America in 1825, reaching New York, after a voyage of
forty-four days, July 28, of this year. He was married, prior to his
emigration from Switzerland, to Mary Ann Rosalie, April 15, 1825, sailing
June 14, 1825, in search of a new home in the Western world.
The original dimensions of it were 20x30 feet, and it was constructed of logs, not hewed until after the house was erected. It was composed of two rooms, the second one on the east side being nearly square, and without being filled or mudded. Here his family, consisting of wife and child, passed the winter of 1826. The cabin was without a floor, the fire-place was in the center of the room, and, as companions of his family, the cow and calf were wintered in the same room, the cabin being house and stable both. The milk was kept in white walnut troughs, strained through old garments and clothes, and the churn was made of a hollow cherry tree, with a board nailed on at the bottom.
Combining his fine memory with his long-kept diary, he makes a very agreeable sort of a French lexicon. An evening spent with him, if for no other purpose than pour passer le temps, is quite enjoyable. He has acquired a partial knowledge of the English tongue, and intelligibly addresses himself to conversation. He practices the courtesies so characteristic of his people, is buoyant, vivacious and full of the gaiete de coeur of the true Frenchman. He is a relic-hunter and keeper, and possesses specimens that would adorn the shelves of the antiquary. He has a sword made in 1414; a coin bearing the image of Louis XVI., who was beheaded, the neck of the image bearing a cross-scar, and the crown on the reverse side all cut and hacked, as with knives. He lives in quiet seclusion upon his farm, a respected citizen, a kind and accommodating neighbor, devoted to his family and strongly attached to his kindred.
*First French Settlers in Paint Township - David Houmard and family were the first French settlers in Paint township, coming in 1825. Joseph Perrott was the second, in 1829, and Emanuel Nicolet, in 1830. In 1834 the immigration became rapid, and many families arrived in the township.
Tasker was born in Fairfax, Virginia, 1787;
removed to Ohio in 1820, settling in Paint township, where he lived and
died July 4, 1835. He was married September 7, 1815, to Jancy
Jenkins, of Romney, Hampshire county, Va., where she was born December
18, 1797. When he removed to Wayne county, Reasin Franks,
brother of Peter Franks, of Saltcreek township, assisted him in his
passage. Hooking two of his horses into Tasker's wagon, and he
furnishing two, the journey was entered upon and successfully
accomplished. Mr. Tasker engaged in farming until his death.
Like other of the pioneers, he and his family felt the pressure of hard
times and were witnesses to the hardships and one daughter - the later
becoming the wife of William Rogers, of Wooster, and who died
August 30, 1876. His three sons, James William and Isaiah, all live
in Wayne county.
formerly known as Paintville, was laid out as early as 1813 by
William Vaughn and James Galbraith. Elijah Carr is
said to have built the first cabin in the village, and Samuel Shull
kept the first tavern. The first preacher in the village was
Archibald Hanna (Presbyterian), who conducted religious services
for several years in a tent in the woods.
The Dutch War. - In 1844 a riot occurred in Mt. Eaton, at Stinebruner's grocery, where a French and Dutch dance was in progress. The English, it seems, were the aggressors in this so-called Dutch war. Windows were smashed in and knocked out, teeth were violently jarred from unwilling jaws, many were badly bruised and wounded, and some shooting was done. The civil authorities were invoked, and order was restored without loss of life.
Postmasters. - The following is a list of Postmasters in Mt.
Eaton, from 1822:
Westcott, M. D., was born in Trumbull county, Ohio,
January 6, 1817. His father was a ship carpenter, whom the son
assisted in various ways, and with whom he remained until he was seventeen
years old. He read medicine with Dr. J. Welsh, of Waynesburg, Stark
County, Ohio, with whom he staid five years, and then went to the Ohio
Medical College - old school - under Dr. John Mussey.
Charles C. Roth, M. D., was born in the
Kingdome of Wertemberg, October 6, 1827, and emigrated to America in 1853,
landing at New York after a voyage of forty-five days. He remained
in the city in one of the hospitals for eighteen months, upon a small
salary, when he removed to Winesburg, Holmes county, Ohio, and began
practice with Dr. Peters. He removed to Mt. Eaton in 1856, which has
since been his home.
William Lucas, a native of Northamptonshire, England, immigrated to America in 1832, the same year settling in Mt. Eaton. Three years thereafter he married Ruth Geiger, who was the first woman he saw in Paint township; had six children, two sons and four daughters. He began keeping hotel in 1836 in Mt. Eaton, and, with the exception of nine years similarly spent at other places, he has been in the hotel business in this village. His wife, so well and favorably known as "Mother Lucas," died in January, 1873. Robert A. Lucas and wife have charge of the hotel.
George Mathoit, a native of South France, removed to Paint township and settled in Mt. Eaton in 1837. He was married to Cecelia Dodez, of Paint township, and died April 20, 1872. He engaged in the furniture business after his arrival, and continued therein until his death. A. C. Mathoit, his son, was born September 23, 1842, and, with David Ketterer, conduct and are proprietors of the steam furniture works of Mt. Eaton.
Gustave Shaffter was born in Berne, Switzerland, June 10, 1837, and came to America in 1858, his brother, Florian Shaffter, accompanying him. They removed to Mt. Eaton in 1864, and became partners in the manufacture of wagons and buggies.
James Y. Pinkerton was born in Somerset county, Pa., April 1, 1802. He removed to Wayne county and settled near Mt. Eaton in 1823 and ever after lived an honored, worthy and esteemed citizen of Wayne county. He was well and popularly known throughout his township and the county; was elected at different times Justice of the Peace of his township and served in the capacity of County Commissioner to the satisfaction and approval of the public. He was married to Lydia Beam, with whom he lived for nearly 44 years, and had been an active, ardent and faithful member of the Methodist church for nearly 43 years preceding his death. Whether as Justice of the Peace, as Surveyor or Commissioner, he endeavored to perform the trusts committed to him with impartiality, fairness and local interests of his neighborhood all his life. He died at his residence, near Mt. Eaton, September 22, 1875. His son, Van Buren Pinkerton, occupies the old homestead and is an honorable and influential citizen of the township.
Matthew Pinkerton was born in Somerset county, Pa., May 30, 1817, and removed with his father to Wayne county April 17, 1823. His father died September, 1860, aged 86 years. His occupation was that of farmer and stock-dealer, living on the farm for 44 years. He has held nearly all the offices attainable in Paint township. He was six years a merchant in Mt. Eaton, has held the office of County Treasurer for two terms, was a stockholder in the old Commercial Bank of Wooster, to which the city he removed in March, 1867. He issued the currency known as the "Pinkerton Checks" during the war.
was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, January 27, 1811. His
father was a farmer, and immigrated to Stark county, Ohio, in 1815,
settling on the Steubenville road, two miles east of Waynesburg. The
subject of this notice spent his early years with his father, laboring on
the farm, going to Canton afterward and learning the trade of tailoring.
Conrad Haverstock, a native of Switzerland, came to America with his parents, who settled in the State of New York, subsequently removing to Tuscarawas county, Ohio, in 1812, and to Paint township in 1817, settling on the farm now owned by Daniel Haverstock, where he lived and died in his 75th year, 1830. He entered the farm from the Government. He was married to Margaret Richard, of Bedford county, Pa., and had ten children, all of whom are dead but Daniel, who now lived upon the owns the old farm. He was a member of the Lutheran church, and is buried in Mt. Eaton. Daniel Haverstock, only remaining son of Conrad, was born in Bedford county, Pa., August 27, 1806; came to Paint township, with his father, and has pursued the vocation of farmer all his life. He was married to Rebecca Kiser, of Paint township, and has had ten children, three of whom are dead. His wife died May 13, 1868.
Henry Lash was born in New Jersey, Feb.
11, 1801, in Sussex county, near Newton, the county-seat. His father
was a farmer, and of German descent, with whom he remained till the
attainment of his majority, when he married Miss Nancy Craven, of
Pennsylvania. He continued with his father, working upon the farm,
for about three years after his marriage, when he accepted Greeley's
advice and went West, settling first in the woods in Paint township, about
two and a half miles from Mt. Eaton, bringing with him his wife and two
- The church of Paintville - now Mt. Eaton - was
organized June 20, 1818, with thirteen members. The Rev. James Adams
officiated at the organization. To date of June 20, 1872, the church
has had five pastors and nineteen ruling elders. The membership at
present numbers seventy-eight. The entire number of members received
into the church of Mt. Eaton, from its organization to July 4, 1876, is as
follows: On examination, 243; on certificate, 166; a total of 409.
The first church was a log
structure, situated in the present cemetery grounds, and was built about
Evangelical Lutheran Church. - The first record of this congregation goes back to 1832, the church being built, however, many years prior to this date, a log house, its site near where the present St. Paul's church now stands. The members (about twelve families) were mostly Pennsylvania Germans. Rev. E. Greenewald, took charge in 1832. In May, 1836, he was succeeded by Rev. J. B. Reck, who was in turn relieved in the summer of 1843 by Rev. Edwin Melsheimer, continuing pastor until Oct., 1846, when Rev. William B. Rally, pastor of St. Paul's church, Mt. Eaton, supplied the church pro tempore. Here the record of the church closes.
St. Paul's Church - This congregation of the Reformed Lutheran church originally attended the Evangelical Lutheran. In the summer of 1842 the new church was built, the pastor, Rev. A. L. W. Begemann, and Rev. David Kammerer officiating at laying its corner-stone. It was finished in 1846. In March, 1845, Rev. Robert Kochler became minister of St. Paul's, serving one year. Rev. W. B. Rally was his successor, continuing until 1851. The congregation separated into two, a German and French, the former electing Rev. Johann Ackeret for its pastor, while the latter recalled Rev. Kochler. The congregations retained their common property, creed and name. Rev. Ackerret served the German congregation until 1868. Rev. Philip Decker was his successor. He resigned in 1876, and was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. H. Nau.
Jacob Fraze was born in New Jersey 1772, and was a millwright by trade. From New Jersey he removed to Westmoreland county, Pa., thence to Tuscarawas county, Ohio, and thence to Paint township, Wayne county, 1822, to where his son George now lives. He had visited the county prior to this, however, and in 1821 had built what was known as Grable's grist and saw mill, for which he received 105 acres of land, and on which he settled April 1, 1822. When he took possession of the farm its whole improvement consisted of an unchunked, undaubed, unfinished cabin, scarcely a tree felled, and not a root or grub taken out. On this farm, Mr. Fraze remained, cultivating it, and by turns working at his trade, until his death, in February, 1833. He was a capital mill-wright and master of his craft, and was known far and wide, and was often known to hide when persons would call at his house to get him to repair their mills. He was of German origin, and an excellent German as well as English scholar. He was married in 1827 to Rachael Willard, of Tuscarawas county, Ohio, and had three children.
George Fraze, the only son of Jacob Fraze, was born April 1, 1821, at Putnam's Mill, Stark county, Ohio, and came to Paint township with his father, where, with the exception of three years, which he spent in acquiring the trade of wheelwright and chairmaking, he has since resided. He was married March 4, 1846 to Sarah Adams, of Paint township, and has had eleven children, nine of whom are living. His son John is a graduate of Mt. Union, and of the Law College at Ann Arbor, and is practicing law at Akron, Ohio,. Mr. Fraze is one of the most intelligent men of his township, progressive and enlightened in his opinions, and characterized by his ready co-operation in useful and important enterprises. He possesses a cool, calculating mind, is stern in his convictions, and has the ability to fortify and defend them.
Eli Brown was born on Brandywine
creek, Lancaster county, Pa., and was of Quaker, Dutch and Irish
parentage. He emigrated to Sugarcreek township, Wayne county, in
1810. He was a school teacher and surveyor, and for ten or twelve
years gave attention to surveying, meantime entering six quarter sections
of land in Paint township. So, preferring the farm to the compass,
he settled on the premises now owned by Mrs. Sarah Brown, mother of
Charles H. Brown. He died April 28, 1839, having had six
children, two sons and four daughters.
WEST LEBANON is a
small village, three miles northeast of Mt. Eaton, and was laid out in
1833 by Philip Groff and Rev. William Butt. Frederick Bysell, it
is claimed, built the first house and kept the first tavern and
postoffice. Mr. Joseph Harry, who came to Paint township in
1824, and who now lives in West Lebanon, is of opinion that Isaac
Stine built the first cabin, on lot 21, in the village, and that the
first Postmaster was Adam Zarling. The office was
established, he says, in 1835. Philip Groff, one of the
founders of the village, was a native of West Lebanon, Lebanon county,
Pa., and hence, in memory of his native town, called it West Lebanon.
John Hoke is the present Postmaster, and was appointed January 1,
1868. James Kilgore was the first postmaster in what was
called East Lebanon, in Sugarcreek township, in 1833. Michael
Hawn, a Revolutionary soldier, born 1741, and died 1844, aged 103
years, is buried in the Lutheran graveyard at West Lebanon.
A. M McMillen, M. D., was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, near Steubenville, in 1816. His father was a mill-wright and farmer, with whom the subject of this sketch remained during his earlier years. After preparing himself for the school-room he began teaching, and for eight years devoted himself to this employment. He read medicine in Canal Fulton with Dr. Howard, and graduated at the old Medical College of Cleveland. He began practice at West Lebanon, in 1849, continuing there until his death which occurred May 4, 1874. He was married in the spring of 1849 to Rebecca Neeper, of Lancaster county, Pa., by which union there were eight children. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of Mt. Eaton.
D. H. McMillen, M. D., a nephew of Dr. A. M. McMillen, was born in Stark county, Ohio, near Greenville, October 13, 1848; read medicine with his uncle and graduated from the Cincinnati College of Medical Surgery in June, 1874. He began practice with his uncle in July, 1874, and continues the same in West Lebanon. He was married January 6, 1876, to Miss J. A. Braden, of Sugarcreek, township
Abraham Bales, father of Jacob Bales the grandfather of Solomon Philip and Daniel Bales, came to Wayne county in the fall of 1811 on horseback, and then seventy-five years old, from Lebanon county, Pa., and entered all the land between Solomon Bales' and West Lebanon - 993 acres; buying in addition to this a quarter section in Stark county. He died with his son, Caleb Bales, in Wayne county, at the age of eighty-eight. These 993 acres were divided among nine children, Jacob receiving the 145 acres where Daniel Bales now lives.
was born in Lebanon county, Pa., 1787, and removed to Wayne county
in 1812, locating on the farm now owned by his son Daniel.
He was married October 5, 1812, to Sada Bowers, of Lebanon
county, Pa., and died March 11, 1871, having had born to him nine
children, three sons and six daughters. He had seven brothers and
one sister, all of whom are dead. Caleb was his youngest
brother, and died in Sugarcreek township during the summer of 1876.
Jacob lived fifty-nine years upon the old homestead, and during
that time not a death occurred among the members of his family, which
was composed of nine children, although three have died since his death.
His wife died June 2, 1874, and at the time of his death he had