History of Belpre, Washington Co., Ohio
By C. E. Dickinson, D. D.
Formerly Pastor of Congregational Church
Author of the History of First Congregational Church
Published for the Author by
Globe Printing & Binding Company
Parkersburg, West Virginia
CHAPTER XVII -
THE first settlers in
Belpre were nearly all from New England and most of the men were
Revolutionary soldiers. The original settlers in New
England were puritans, who not only fully believed the verities
of Christianity but made their religion the rule of their
conduct in every day life. Many changes in this respect
were wrought during the colonial period. There were many
important duties which claimed immediate and earnest attention;
among these were the building of homes, preparing the soil for
cultivation, establishing new settlements, guarding against
Indian attacks, and the founding of civic, social, and
educational institutions. Such important matters tended to
turn the thoughts of many away from the practical duties of
religion. There were also the French and Indian Wars
during the later years of the seventeenth and the first half of
the eighteenth centuries which exposed many of the young men to
the demoralizations of army life. Many of the religious
writers of that period very sadly deplored the changes,
specially among young men, through these causes.
The vicisitudes of army lime during the Revolutionary
period, the absence from home and from church privileges, and
the association of our officers with the French had also reduced
the number of church members among our officers and soldiers.
Several of the pioneers who made their home in Belpre
were decidedly christian men who were governed by the puritan
principles of their ancestors. Although a majority were
not church members all had positive religious convictions and
favored the establishment of churches and religious
In their plans for the first settlement the Ohio
Company arranged for the employment of a religious teacher.
Among the first settlers in Belpre Colonel Ebenezer
Captain Benjamin Miles and Colonel Israel Putnam were
mentioned as specially interested in the establishment of religious
institutions. In March, 1789, about the time the first
settlers commenced to prepare their log cabins in Belpre. Rev.
Daniel Story arrived at Marietta as a religious teacher provided
by the Ohio Company and for a number of years he ministered
alternately in the different settlements, visiting Belpre once in
five weeks, though these visits were sometimes omitted during the
As soon as Colonel Ebenezer Battelle had
completed his Blockhouse religious services were commenced in Belpre
in one of his rooms, and when Mr. Story was not
present the services were conducted by Colonel Battelle
who usually read a sermon from some eminent divine.
The uncertainty respecting the future of the Colony
occasioned by the Indian War caused a delay of several years in the
organization of a church and the First Church of Marietta was not
organized until Dec. 6, 1796; this church embraced members in four
settlements and a Deacon was chosen for each of these localities,
namely. Marietta, Belpre, Waterford, and Vienna, Virginia,
This officer for Belpre was Captain Benjamin Miles
who held the office until the time of his death in 1817. As
early as 1801 an Ecclesiastical Society was organized in Belpre to
which was given charge of religious affairs, and during this or the
following year a log meeting-house was erected on the bluff a little
above the old cemetery, the site of this building and also a part of
the cemetery have been carried away by the river.
In Williams History of Washington County we find the
following record. "At a business meeting of the Religious
Society held March 1st, 1802 it was resolved that the Society meet
every Sabbath at ten o'clock and that the preachers perform forenoon
and afternoon service with one hour's intermission and that persons
be appointed to read the sermons and prayers, also that the singers
be earnestly invited to attend; also that a contribution be taken on
the first Sabbath of each month to enable us to pay for regular
preaching." A little earlier at a meeting of the Society, "Perley
Howe, Judge Foster, and William
Browning were appointed a committee to collect subscriptions and
to appropriate the amount towards the building of a school or
meeting-house on the Bluff." At a later meeting held in the
"meeting house on the bluff," as it was ever after called, the
committee reported "an excess of twelve shillings, nine pence which
sum was laid aside for current expenses."
In account of early schools we find mention of a log
school-house, and it seems probable that the building was used for a
time for both church and school purposes.
Rev. Samuel P. Robbins, the successor of Rev.
Daniel Story, commenced preaching at Belpre once a
month in 1805. At a meeting of the Society Octo. 27th "it was
voted that Isaac Pierce, Daniel Loring, and
Nathaniel Gushing, be requested to read sermons alternating,
during the three Sundays of the month when Mr. Robbins
would be absent. It was farther voted that Deacon Miles
and Colonel Putnam be appointed to pray at these meetings.
In 1809 "Deacon Miles, Perley Howe and
Benjamin F. Stone were appointed to read and pray, and in 1810
this duty devolved on Isaac Pierce, B. F. Stone, and
Colonel Cushing. At a meeting July 19th Rev. Mr.
Langdon was hired for one year."
About 1808 the question arose whether they would repair
the meeting house or build a new one. It was decided to
The subject of a new building came up again in 1819 and
after necessary preliminaries it was decided to build of brick in
what is now the cemetery. This house was enclosed and occupied
in 1821 but not completed until several years later. These
efforts to hold regular and continuous religious services were
certainly commendable and manifested the character of the pioneers.
We of a later generation owe very much to the faithfulness of these
men in laying the foundations of intelligence and religion in the
In 1805 Rev. Thomas Robbins, a missionary in the
Western Reserve, visited Marietta for the purpose of assisting in
the Ordination of his cousin Rev. Samuel P. Robbins.
He preached two Sundays in Belpre and was invited to remain as
permanent pastor but the invitation was not accepted and Mr.
Robbins returned to his wider work in the new settlements in the
Reserve and a few years later returned to New England.
On Friday, November 25,
1826, at a preparatory lecture the members of the First Church in
Marietta residing in Belpre resolved to request letters of
dismission for the purpose of organizing a separate church. It
was also voted that the Articles of Faith and Covenant of the Parent
Church should be adopted by the Belpre Church. These persons
were granted letters of dismission Dec. 14th and on Jan. 1, 1827,
with the aid of Rev. Luther G. Bingham, then pastor of the
Marietta Church, the "First Congregational Church of Belpre" was
organized, consisting of the following members: Irene Benedict,
Sophia Browning, Hannah Stone, Susannah Stone, Deborah A. Dana,
Abijah Wedge, Lucinda Wedge, Dea Perley Howe, Lucy E. Gilbert,
Josiah Whiting, Sarah Whiting, Elihu Clark, Deborah Clark, Rowena
Putnam, Charlotte L. Putnam, Sally Goodno, Benjamin H. Miles, Maria
Miles, Elizabeth Bell, Barzillai T. Miles, Hannah Miles, Amos
Fisher, Huldah Fisher, Stephen Guthrie. Perley Howe was chosen
deacon and held that office until his death. Benjamin H.
Miles, son of Deacon Benjamin, was also chosen
Deacon soon after. Rev. Jacob Little ministered to the
church about one year and he was succeeded by Rev.
Augustus Pomeroy. In 1829 Rev. Aldison Kingsbury
became joint pastor of this church and the Presbyterian Church of
Warren, a position which he held with great acceptance for ten
years, when he was dismissed to become pastor of a Presbyterian
church at Zanesville, Ohio. This church continued its union
with the Warren church in the support of a minister for a few years,
longer and then assumed the support alone and for some time received
aid from the American Home Missionary Society.
For a considerable number of years this church was
sustained by most of the families in the Township. Wagons,
well loaded with the large families of that period, came in the
morning to the church where a preaching service was held about half
past ten o'clock, a noon intermission was held, during which the
worshippers partook of the bountiful lunch which they had brought
from home; a few years later, after the establishment of a Sunday
School, its sessions were held during this intermission. The
congregation assembled again in the afternoon for another sermon,
which they returned home in season to attend to the evening chores.
In 1858, after Belpre Village began to assume some importance,
frequent services were held there and in 1869 the present house of
worship was erected. From that time services were held both in
the village and in the old brick church until the Center Belpre
Congregational Church was organized.
CENTER BELPRE OR PORTERFIELD CHURCH*
The Center Belpre Church
was organized in 1880 consisting mostly of members of the old church
residing in that vicinity. The old brick meeting house in the
cemetery was sold and the congregation worshipped for several years
in the school house. In 1889 a convenient house of worship was
constructed. This building was repaired in 1917 and is now an
attractive community center. A very interesting Sunday School
is sustained and a preaching service is usually held every two
weeks. This church is supplied by the pastor of the village
The honor of
establishing the first Sunday School in Belpre belonged to
Mrs. Lucy E. Gilbert. Mrs. Gilbert, then Miss Lucy
E. Putnam, attended school in Marietta about 1818 when the
first Sunday Schools were established there. She became
very much interested in these schools and in their work.
When she returned home she gave such an interesting account of
the work that she was requested to organize such a school in
Belpre, which she did about 1820 or 21 and she was a teacher in
the school for more than forty years; there are persons still
living (1917) who were her pupils. Sunday Schools had not
then been adopted by churches as they were a few years later,
but were voluntary organizations maintained by a few persons
desirous of benefitting the rising generation. This school
was held in the brick meeting house and after a time was adopted
by the church and was held during the intermission between
morning and afternoon services. The exercises consisted of
repeating passages of Scripture and questions and answers from
the Westminister Catechism. Some years later they used
“Union Questions" published by the American Sunday School Union.
Sunday Schools have also at different times been sustained in
† The Railway Station
is Porterfield and the Post Office Center Belpre.
There was occasional
preaching at Newbury by itinerating Methodist preachers as early
as 1800. In 1811 or 12 a Society was formed which held
services in the School house until 1829 when a house of worship
was erected which was occupied for about fifty years and was a
source of much good in the community.
A partition about four feet high divided it in the
center, the men sitting on one side and the women on the other,
and it was a brave youth who dared to sit with his girl and
endure the gaze of all eyes. The pulpit was a square box,
the minister shutting the door after him; when he knelt not even
the top of his head was visible. In time the interior of
the church was remodeled, the partition removed and the pulpit
changed. The more noise a minister made the better he was
considered, and at times there was great excitement in the old
church.” In 1879 it was decided to remove to Little
Hocking. Services were held in the school house until the
present edifice was built and dedicated in 1881.
In addition to the church at Newbury, there were
occasional services held by itinerating Methodist ministers from
Virginia in various homes in the township but the
commencement of this part of the history was in 1820 when a
class of thirteen members was organized with Daniel
Goss as leader. Of this number two soon withdrew and
two were expelled leaving nine.
About this time a log meeting house was erected near
the Little Hocking about one mile north of Porterfield
Station, and in the vincinity of the home of Daniel
Goss. All traces of this building have disappeared.
The following statements are taken from historical
paper prepared by Mrs. C. L. McNeal and presented at a
Semi-Centennial Celebration in the village church.
In 1822 a class of twenty-one members met in the school
house on the farm of Joseph Newbury near the site
of the present Rockland Church with Joseph O’Neal leader.
(This was probably the same class just mentioned.)
In 1827 under the pastoral labors of LeRoy
Swornstedt seventeen members were added to the church. In
September of this year a subscription paper was circulated for
the purpose of building a meeting house at Cedarville (now
Rockland) with the following unique heading: “We, the
undersigned subscribers, believe that it would be of importance
to the Methodist Society in Belpre to build a house of worship,
not only for their own convenience but for all those that may be
willing to attend. It is understood by all those who are
acquainted with the form of Methodist meeting houses that the
seats are free for those who do not belong to the Society in
time of worship. We, the undersigned do hereby agree to
pay the amounts to our respective names subscribed to the
Trustees of the Methodist Church in said township who may be
appointed to superintend the building of said meeting house, to
be applied as they may think proper.
There were subscriptions from fifty cents to forty
dollars. One subscription of $4.50 was to be a hat—did not say
whether it was to be a ladies or man’s hat. Another of
$5.00 was to be paid in nails.
About April 1st, 1832 work was commenced on the
proposed meeting house and the ninth day of June following the
third quarterly meeting was held in the building. The work
was greatly facilitated by the memorable flood of 1832 on which
the lumber was floated by Daniel Ellenwood
from the mill on Little Hocking. This is memorable as being the
first building in Belpre township that was raised without liquor,
and at which there was neither accident, nor want of help,
notwithstanding the protest of many people against the innovation.
In 1842 the Belpre Society consisted of seventy-five
members and was divided into two classes. Colbert O’Neal
was leader of Class No. 1 which met in the brick School house on
the plain not far from the present home of D. S. Abbot.
Daniel Goss was leader of Class No. 2
which met in the church.
In 1866 a house of worship was built in the growing
village of Belpre, at a cost of $6,500. This was dedicated
February 24, 1867 by Dr. Reid of Cincinnati. This
building was called Lewis Chapel in honor of
Frederick and Mary Lewis, who contributed $1000 toward its
erection. Josiah Henderson presented the Society
with a bell at a cost of $440. The lot was given by Mr.
Hamilton Browning. The stones of the foundation
were quarried and laid in place by the late L. J. Finch,
Leander Cunningham, and Jack Simpson.
The building was largely the work of Calvin Leisure, E. E.
Cunningham, and Colbert O’Neal.
The first organ was purchased during the pastorate of
Rev. J. E. Sowers at a cost of $350.00. B. F. Stone
donating his commission of $75.00.
In 1869 the B. & O. Railway Company paid to Lewis
Chapel $700.00 as damage for running within one hundred feet
of the building. By this means the Trustees were able to pay
the balance of debt on the building and organ.
During the pastorate of Rev. Grey
Amherst the church was repaired and the famous old gallery
removed, the parlors and vestibule added and a furnace put in.
During the pastorate of J. W. Orr the basement
room was enlarged, the floor cemented, the steps made, cement walks
laid, and a new bell secured.
In 1866 certain
persons desiring to celebrate the Centennial of Methodism in
this country started an enterprise in the Northwestern part of
the township which was named the Centennial Church. A
small house of worship was erected which was afterwards turned
into a dwelling. About ten years later it was decided that
this was an unnecessary multiplication of churches and the
members seem to have been transferred to Little Hocking Church.
The Village and Rockland churches form a circuit and
are served by the same Pastor. The church at Little
Hocking is in a circuit with churches in Athens County.
The first Universalist
Church in Belpre was organized January 17, 1824 and embraced
several leading families. A house of worship was erected
in 1835 in the Middle Settlement near the Putnam home
where services were maintained for three quarters of a century.
In 1852, several members were dismissed from this church in
order to organize a branch church at Newbury near their homes.
This was called The Second Universalist Church of Belpre.
A convenient house of worship was erected on the hill near the
home of Judge Walter Curtiss. This
building was to be free for the use of all religious services
when not used by the Universalists. After about forty
years it seemed wise for the members of this church to transfer
their services to the village of Little Hocking. What
material from the old building was available was used in the
erection of a larger building at Little Hocking in 1891.
In 1912 the First Universalist Church abandoned their house of
worship near the Putnam home and constructed an
attractive building in Rockland. The same pastor supplies
both these churches.
These churches are now in a flourishing condition. They
have vigorous Sunday Schools also Ladies Aid and Missionary
Societies and are earnestly striving to extend the Kingdom of
A Baptist church was
organized at Little Hocking in 1889 and a house of worship built
and dedicated 1892.
This church owed its existence quite largely to the
influence of Dr. and Mrs. M. A. Villars. It was
supplied for some time by Rev. Watson Dana
and considerably increased in membership.
The church is now supplied in connection with several
other churches in the vicinity.
There is a Sunday School in the Mullen School House, a
Mission of the First Baptist Church of Parkersburg, and
occasional preaching services are held there. The Sunday
School is well sustained.
AFRICAN METHODIST CHURCH
There were but few
colored people in Belpre previous to the civil war. A
colored man did not feel entirely safe so near the border of a
Slave State. After the War and the abolition of slavery
colored people gradually came in to engage in various
employments until they became quite numerous, and they were
usually law abiding and industrious citizens and also desired to
worship God. Though usually made welcome in the churches
they preferred to worship by themselves and in 1868 an African
Methodist Church was organized. They worshipped for a time
in the room used by the colored school. In 1875 a house of
worship was erected on Florence street. The church has
increased in numbers and importance and regular services are
held. They are supplied in connection with a church in
A local preacher
organized another colored church here in 1870, which flourished
for a time and they built a house of worship on upper Walnut
Street. This house was occupied for several years but it
was found difficult to sustain two churches by the limited
number of colored people in the village. The building was
considerably injured by floods and about 1910 was sold and
devoted to other uses. Most of the colored people now
worship with the church on Florence Street.
ROMAN CATHOLIC - pg. 188
Saint Marys Roman
Catholic Church was organized at Little Hocking in 1879 and a
neat frame Chapel built the same year. Quite large
congregations gather there from the surrounding country. A
Priest from Athens officiates.
A small frame chapel has been erected on upper Main
Street in the Village where occasional services are held.
Most of the Roman Catholics in the Village attend services in
There was a very
interesting girls Missionary Society organized in 1831. This
Society consisted of twenty-four members twelve from
Congregational families and twelve from Methodist families.
Each member over twelve years old paid twelve and
one-half cents a year or what was then known as a shilling.
Members under twelve years of age gave six and one-quarter
cents, or sixpence, (silver coins were then in circulation
representing each of these sums.)
This Society continued for eight years and it is
interesting to record this early manifestation of friendliness
between the children. The Congregational portion of the
money was given to help educate a boy in Ceylon; the Methodist
to Methodist mission work. Miss Elizabeth Ellenwood,
who died January 23 1915, aged ninety years was a member of this
There was a
Ladies Society known as the Friendly Group connected with the
Congregational church for many years which contributed a
specified sum each year toward the pastors salary, provided for
a variety of repairs on the church building and parsonage,
sustained social gatherings, and was useful in many ways.
This Society was superceded by “The Ladies Aid” in 1898, which
has continued the work so well commenced. Carpets have
been laid on floors, rooms have been painted and cleaned,
banquets provided for, and aid given to the poor during the
subsequent years. There are other similar organizations,
equally efficient, connected with the other church in Belpre,
and these are often united in branches of charitable work which
pertain to the whole community. It is true in all
Christian communities that in nearly all charitable work first
appeals are made to the churches. This is true because the
churches are always leaders in the unselfish work of aiding the
needy. In our civil war the churches of our country united
in sustaining the Christian Commission, which contributed large
sums of money to provide comforts and care for soldiers in camps
During these years of intense suffering occasioned by
the terrible war in Europe appeals have been made to the
churches to aid the millions who have been made widows and
orphans or deprived of limbs or eyes through this wicked war.
We would not overlook or undervalue the many and very generous
contributions of organizations and individuals outside the
churches but we mention the charitable contributions of the
churches because they are recognized as representations of
Christianity and not only from their professions but from their
practices the public have reason to expect them to be leaders in
good works, and at the present time in all parts of our country
they are contributing to the aid of millions of those suffering
from the European war.
BURIAL OF THE DEAD
The first death
in Belpre was that of Captain Zebulon King
who was murdered by Indians May 1st, 1789 while clearing the
land on his claim. The place of his burial is unknown.
It is probable that his body and those of several others who
died during the first decade were buried in private grounds.
A cemetery was laid out very early on the bluff a little below
the site of the first log meeting house, as this was about half
a mile above Farmers Castle it seems probable it was not laid
out until after the Indian War. Here are graves of most of
the first settlers although a part of the original ground has
been carried away by the river. The following inscriptions
from the old cemetery were obtained by E. B. Dana for
A. T. Nye, Esq., previous to 1881.
(1) —Over (or near?)
this spot were buried Capt. King, Jonas Davis, Mrs. Armstrong
and her three children, all of whom were massacred by the
Indians in this vicinity.
Mrs. Armstrong and her children on the Virginia
shore, during the years 1791-5. This stone is erected to
rescue their names and fate from oblivion. Erected by
George Dana, 1836.
(2) —To the memory of
Col. Daniel Bent a native of Mass, who died
April 4, 1848. Aged 74 years. Mary, wife of
Col. Daniel Bent died June 10, 1851 in the
84th year of her age.
Stone, who departed this life March 24, 1801, in the 60th
year of his age. A Captain and an active officer in the
American Revolutionary War, one of the first settlers of this
town. An affectionate husband, a tender parent, beloved
and respected by all who knew him.
William Dana, a revolutionary soldier, born in
Massachusetts, emigrated to the west in 1788, and settled in
Belpre. Died in 1809 aged 69 years. Captain
Dana spent a part of the first year in Marietta, went to
Belpre in 1789. Mary, wife of Captain
William Dana, a native of Massachusetts died in 1852,
aged 79 years.
(5) —In memory of
William Browning a native of Massachusetts whence he
emigrated to the then western wilderness in 1789. He lived
to behold, and contributed in causing these valleys to give
place to the arts and comforts of civilized life. Died
August 1825 aged 56. In memory of Abigail
Browning, wife of William Browning and
daughter of General Rufus Putnam, who
departed this life February 24, 1803, aged 35. In memory
of Mary Browning, wife of William
Browning Esq., formerly wife of Peregrene
Foster, Esq., who died September 1825, aged 65 years.
Howe, wife of Perley Howe, and daughter of
Rufus Putnam (whose dust lies here) died Sept. A.
D. 1822 aged 55 years.
(7) —In memory of
Jonathan Haskell, a native of Massachusetts, who
departed this life December 6, 1810 in the 62nd year of his age.
(8) —In memory of
Daniel Loring, who died 31st July 1825, aged 73
In memory of Mrs. Lucy Loring
consort of Daniel Loring, Esq., who died 8th of September,
aged 75 years.
(9)—In memory of
Major Robert Bradford who died September 11, 1822 in the
72nd year of his age, was a revolutionary officer and one of the
first settlers in this county. Captain and Mrs.
Benjamin Miles were buried in this cemetery but their graves
could not be found.
list of officers and soldiers of the Revolution buried in Belpre
so far as known is as follows:
William Dana of Charleston or Worcester Mass.
(2) —Major Jonathan
Haskell born in Massachusetts. Commissioned Major in
the regular service. Stationed at Marietta 1791. Died 1810
aged 62 years.
Nathaniel Cushing; born near Boston, Mass. \
(4) —Colonel Israel
Putnam, born Salem, Mass. Served in regiment with his
father General Israel Putnam.
Jonathan Stone. Born Braintree, Mass. Served in
Northern army under Gen. Rufus Putnam and General
Alexander Oliver of Massachusetts.
(7) —Colonel Daniel
Bent of Massachusetts.
Fletcher, soldier, Lowell, Mass.
Oliver Rice, Massachusetts.
Benjamin Miles, Rutland, Mass.
Robert Bradford, Plymouth, Mass. Lineal
descendant of Governor Bradford.
Zebulon King of Rhode Island, killed by Indians in
1789 (old cemetery.)
Foster from Rhode Island.
Sparehawk. These men were not only among the heroes who,
by their sacrifices, gave us the best country in the world, they
were the pioneers of our favored town of Belpre. They
deserve to be honored by their successors to the latest time.
The citizens of Belpre should secure the old cemetery from all
encroachments by a strong and durable fence and the ground should be
kept in such order that when the sons and daughters of Belpre shall
visit their old homes they may not only walk among the graves of the
honored dead but may also tell their friends how faithfully the
memory of these heroes is kept fresh by the care of their resting
The first deaths in the Lower Settlement (Newbury) were
Mrs. Brown and child and Persis Dunham murdered by
Indians who were buried on the farm of Truman Guthrie
near the river. Burials were made near this spot until about
1825 when this cemetery was abandoned on account of occasional
floods and another opened on higher ground near the school house.
In 1871 the tomb stones were removed from the old cemetery and a
marble monument was erected bearing this inscription.
"Anthony Spacht and wife Catharine, Hannah,
wife of Joseph Guthrie, Stratton, Leavens, Bliss, Dunham, one
woman and two children killed by Indians; these and some names not
now remembered died and were buried on this spot between 1790 and
1810. Erected by some of their descendants as a token of their
memory. Erected in 1871."
There is a small neighborhood cemetery about one and
one-half miles north of Porterfield station, used by families in the
The principal cemetery, now used by nearly the whole
township, is known as the Rockland cemetery. This was laid out
about 1821 and the old brick meeting house stood within its bounds.
After the organization of the Center Belpre Church this building
fell to them and after the erection of their house at Porterfield
the old brick was demolished.
It is quite generally conceded that this was a mistake
for a chapel is needed in every considerable cemetery where services
may be held for strangers and for bodies brought from a distance,
and the old building was well adapted in size and locality for that
purpose. It has been suggested by some of our citizens that a
chapel should be erected in the Cemetery to be used when needed.
If the citizens should decide to build such chapel we will take the
liberty to suggest that it be erected as near
GEORGE A. HOWE
GEORGE HOWE BOWER
the site of this old building as possible and architecturally be a
duplicate of the Chapel built here in 1821.
This cemetery was considerably enlarged in 1895, and in
the nature of things the graves are constantly increasing in number.
A few revolutionary soldiers are buried here and a large number of
soldiers of our civil war. The beautiful and patriotic
services of decorating the graves of soldiers with flowers on May 30
is still performed and this festival has been adopted by many who
make it an occasion for decorating graves of their friends.
One of our best loved
American poets wrote:
"All that tread
The globe are but a
handful to the tribes
That slumber in its
The number of those whose
mortal bodies have been deposited in Belpre Cemetery is even now
larger than that of those who occupy our homes and the former
citizens who shall return to this home town after absence of a score
of years will find more familiar names on tombstones than familiar
faces among those they meet.
It is a privilege as well as duty of those who are
alive to keep the place of the dead beautiful, and attractive and it
is a satisfaction to us while living to know that those who follow
us will continue to honor the memory of the dead.
- END OF CHAPTER XVII -