OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Van Wert County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

Source:
HISTORY
of
VAN WERT and MERCER COUNTIES,

OHIO
with
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers
Publ.
Wapakoneta, O.
R. Sutton & Co.
1882


YORK TOWNSHIP

pp. 269 -

     This township is bounded on the north by Ridge Township, east by Jennings Township, south by Mercer County, and west by Liberty Township

Early Settlement

     There were ten pioneer families who settled in this township at an early day.  These were the families of John Heath, John Rich, Jesse Tomlinson, John Bevington, Washington Mark, John McCollum, and Robert Thomas, who settled in the southwest part, while Jacob Goodwin, John Goodwin, and John Keith settled in the southeast part.  The arrivals in 1846 were largely as follows:  Ferdinand Jackson, Daniel Burris, Samuel Moore, Sylvester Wollery, John Powers, and James Wilson.

Incidents

     The first grist-mill was a horse-power mill on the north bank of Jennings Prairie, and owned by Mr. Clark.  It was afterwards removed by Lewis Culver, and remodelled to grind corn and wheat.  The second mill was built by D. Walters near Venedocia.  The first saw-mill was erected by ex-Gov. William Bebb, of Butler County, near Venedocia.  First gunsmith, John Heath; shoemaker, John McConn.  The first couple married were Lewis Tomlinson and Rachel Boroff; the second Joseph Moore and Jane Keith; and the third, Silas Martin and Sarah Dunkin.  The pioneer school-house was built on the land of Jesse Atkinson, the second on land of John Arnold, and the third on land of Jacob Goodwin.  The "bull plows" were used here, which consisted entirely of wood.  Benjamin Griffin built the first frame, and Mr. Albans the first brick house.  The fir and hoop-pole trade was extensive, and found a market at Delphos.
     The early religious societies were formed at pioneer residences; one organized at John Arnold's, a second at D. Williams', and a third at Reuben Harp's.  These societies were "Methodist, "United Brethren" and  "Christians," or "New Lights," respectively.  The inhabitants are largely Welsh, or their descendants, forming a strong community.  They have two churches in the township, one of which is at Venedocia, and very strong.

Land Entries

Sec. Name Acres Year
1 James McCray 153 1836
  John Zimmerman, 173 1836
  John Weikart 160 1836
  Alex. Chevers 80 1836
  Michael Todd 80 1836
2 Michael Yoakam 87 1836
  Fred Carey 87 1836
  James H. Young 160 1836
  Andrew Foster 160 1836
  H. D. V. Williams 174 1841
3 Daniel Canfield 80 1836
  John F. Edgar, 334 1836
  Robert Edgar 254 1836
4 Samuel D. Edger 334 1836
  James Donaldson 334 1836
5 Henry Zimmerman 174 1836
  John Gongway 160 1836
  John M. Donaldson 40 1836
  Alex Biddle 174 1836
6 Samuel Painter 332 1836
  Joseph Nofzgar 348 1836
7 A. Cochel 80 1836
  Theo. B. Thomas 80 1836
  Levi Rowland 328 1836
  James Steel 124 1837
  Evan B. Jones 41 1839
8 Evan B. Jones 120 1836
  John Weikart 40 1836
  James G. Donaldson 320 1836
  Alex. Biddle 160 1836
9 Evan B. Jones 560 1836
  A. Chchel & H. Tolerton 80 1836
10 James Hooper 320 1836
  Samuel Francher 160 1836
  Peter Bevelthymer 160 1836
11 James M. Young 160 1836
  Andrew Foster 80 1836
  David Cook 160 1836
  George McMarrian 80 1836
12 Robert Lysle 640 1835
13 Lewis Culver 200 1833
  William Morman 240 1835
  John Arnold 120 1836
  John L. Harter 80 1837
14 Benj. Strothers 320 1836
  Samuel Stiles 160 1836
  James Walters 40 1836
  Christian Woods 80 1337
  Philip Scrock 40 1839
15 Andrew Cochel 160 1836
  Daniel Arnold 160 1836
  Joseph Saint 240 1836
  James Wilson 40 1839
  John Williberg 40 1841
16 Robert McQuoron 80 1859
  George Clouse 80 1859
  Jacob Debert 80 1859
  Francis Feltus 80 1859
  F. C. Elson 80 1859
  Robert Walcutt 80 1859
17 Evan B. Jones 320 1836
  John M. Donaldson 160 1836
  Hugh Lynn 160 1836
18 Evan B. Jones 361 1836
  Henry Newman 165 1836
  Josiah Castel 40 1836
  James Ross 82 1836
19 Henry Newman 165 1836
  James Clingan 160 1839
  George B. Ellis 246 1838
  John Hughes 80 1838
20 John Heath 80 1836
  Andrew Coil 120 1836
  Joseph Heath 40 1836
  George Rees 80 1836
  Henry Newman 160 1836
  James Lavin 160 1836
21 John Towns 200 1836
  Robert Thomas 40 1836
  Thomas Towns 40 1836
  James Lavin 40 1837
  John Powers 80 1838
 
Sec. Name Acres Year
21 Tobias Moore 880 1839
  John Cunningham 40 1839
  George Knox 80 1839
22 Reuben Waites 80 1836
  William McClure 40 1836
  Levi Saint 240 1836
  William Lynn 40 1836
  Mary E. Reed 80 1839
23 Levi Culver 80 1836
  Samuel stiles 40 1836
  Alex. McVickers 120 1836
  John A. Freeman 160 1836
  Lantz Shannon 160 1836
  James Mitchell 80 1836
24 Wesley Rush 200 1833
  Ebenezer Culver 80 1834
  Lewis Culver 40 1834
  Washington Marks 320 1832
25 Washington Marks 120 1832
  John Keith 240 1832
  Jacob Goodwin 40 1837
  John Keith 80 1838
  Isaac Miles 80 1838
  Edward Williams 40 1839
  Jacob Goodwin 40 1851
26 Samuel McClain 320 1836
  John Smith 320 1836
27 William McClain 480 1836
  Samuel McClain 160 1836
28 Robert Thomas 80 1835
  Samuel Moore 120 1836
  Jesse Miller 40 1836
  Sylvestus R. Wollery 80 1836
  John Town 40 1836
  Joshua Breidenstine 160 1836
  Daniel Barris 40 1837
  Jesse Atkinson 40 1835
  John Cost 40 1846
29 Jesse Atkinson 80 1836
  S. R. Woolery 80 1836
  John McCallam 40 1836
  John Sherwood 240 1836
  Henry Newman 160 1836
  C. Elliott 40 1839
30 John Stacts 167 1836
  Abram Rankin 160 1836
  Wesley Minor 160 1836
  Eli M. Denison 83 1837
  George M. Ells 83 1837
31 Jesse Tomlinson 80 1834
  John Heath 242 1835
  John Sheets 246 1835
  Francis Elliott 82 1838
32 John Tomlinson 160 1835
  Jesse Atkinson 120 1835
  John McNeil 80 1836
  Furman Jackson 40 1836
  J. W. Morton 80 1836
  William Carder 40 1837
  John Ross 40 1837
  John McCallam 40 1839
  Elizabeth Bevington 40 1851
33 Thomas Hughs 160 1849
  John Griffith 80 1850
  L. Bawe 80 1849
  James Mark 240 1833
  John Morris 40 1850
  Sarah Marks 40 1834
34 Lucinda Marks 80 1833
  James Marks 120 1833
  Matilda Marks 40 1835
  George Vanemon 120 1836
  William Lake 120 1836
  A. McClung 40 1837
  John House 80 1838
  Washington Marks 40 1839
35 Robert Leslie 320 1835
  Jonathan Vanemon 160 1835
  James Edger 160 1826
36 William Marrs, Jr. 240 1835
  Robert Stram 80 1836
  William Farris 320 1836

Organization

     The township was organized in 1837, forming one of the original townships of this county.  At a session of the commissioners, held at Van Wert, June 3, 1837, the following action was taken: -
     "A petition being presented for a new township to be set off and called York, it is ordered that township No. 2 S., R. 3 E., be organized under the name of York; and ordered taht the qualified electors meet

Page 270 -
at the house of Mr. Wollery on the 15th instant for the purpose of electing officers for said township."

     Abstract of votes cast in York township at the election held Oct. 18, 1840.  Names of electors: -

Francis Elliott,
Robert Thomas,
John McCallum,
David Walters,
Jesse Atkinson,
John Arnold,
Joshua Goodwin,
Joseph Clark,
Jacob Ross,
Jacob Miller,
Joseph Moore,
James Walters,
William Marrs,
John Heath,
Lewis Culver,
Josiah Clink,
Jesse Tomlinson,
John Keith,
Tobias Moore,
Joshua Bridenstine,
William Morman,
Adam Wolford,
S. R. Woolery.

     We hereby certify that the number of electors at this election amounts to twenty-three.
     John Arnold, Sylvester Wollery, and Joshua Goodwin, Judges.

     At this election Wilson Shannon received seventeen votes and Thos. Corwin five votes for Governor.  For Congress, William Sawyer had seventeen votes and P. G. Goode five votes.  For Representative, Lorin Kennedy had seventeen votes, Daniel O. Martin had seventeen votes, George B. Way had five votes, and John Henkel had five votes.  Daniel Reed had twenty-one votes for commissioner, and David McCoy one vote for commissioner.

Early Settlers.

     Edward Smith must be classed among the early settlers, having come here in the autumn of 1838.  He was born in Champaign County, Ohio, in 1829.  He married Elizabeth, daughter of Andrew and Levina Coil, of Mercer County, Dec. 11, 1851.   Their family consists of four children, named John, William, Henry, and RosettaMr. Smith served in Company M, 2d Indiana Heavy Artillery, from Aug. 13, 1863, to Sept. 20, 1865.

     Samuel M. Thomas was born in this county in 1848, being the son of Robert and Mary Thomas, who settled here in 1836.  In 1871, he married Sarah Mortimore, of Mercer County, and has reared a family of four children, named Robert E., Alice, Harry, and Angeline Virtue.

     John F. Tomlinson, one of the oldest citizens of the township, was born in Madison County, May 11, 1818.  Having first settled in Mercer County, he served one term as justice of the peace, and after coming to this county was elected to the same office in 1856, and served until 1874.  In 1857 he married Lydia Worthington, daughter of Abraham Worthington, of Mercer County.  They have eleven children still living.

     Jesse Atkinson, a native of Bucks County, Pa., ranks as one of the oldest settlers of the township, and is at the same time a citizen silvered by age.  In 1853 he went to Kansas, where he has since made his home; but coming here in 1836 and remaining until 1853 entitles him fairly to mention among the settlers of this section.  He was a native of Bucks County, Pa., and married Mary Dine of the same place, in 1820.  They reared a family of ten children, of whom five are still living.  William, the second son, occupies the old home.

     John T. Ross, a native of Franklin County, settled on the Mercer and Van Wert County line in 1835.  In 1851 he married Elizabeth M. Ries, who was a native of Germany.  Mr. Ross served in Company E, Forty-sixth O. V. I., from Sept. 15, 1861, till Aug. 1862.  Apr. 12, 1863, he re-enlisted in the same company, and was finally discharged Aug. 17, 1865.

     John M. Jackson was born in Madison County, Feb. 2, 1835, and was brought to this county by his parents the next year.  His father was one of the earliest chair-makers in this section; and finding sale for his chairs at Fort Wayne, would raft them down the St. Marys River.

     John Bevington, a native of Pennsylvania, was born Sept. 22, 1807, and came to this county in Oct. 1832, thus ranking among the early settlers whose lives were devoted to farming.  He married Elizabeth Heath, who was born in Ross County, Ohio, Jan. 26, 1811.  They reared a family of seven children, named Margaret born Oct. 11, 1828; Henry, born Oct. 7, 1831; Nancy A., born Sept. 28, 1833 (deceased); Rebecca J. ,born Dec. 5, 1835 (deceased); James H., born Jan. 20, 1838 (deceased); Mary, born June 17, 1840; John, born Apr. 9, 1842 (deceased).  Mr. Bevington died July 19, 1841.

     S. J. Rowland, a resident of York Township, settled in this county in August, 1836.  He is one of the substantial farmers of the section in which he lives.  His family consists of three sons, all of whom are at home.

     Lewis F. Ross was born in Mercer County, June 8, 1835.  In 1868 he married Ida E. Roberts, who was born in Knox County in 1852, and has a family of two children.  Mr. Ross has held the office of justice of the peace since 1873.  He served in the war as 1st lieutenant of Company A, Fifteenth O. V. I., from Sept. 10, 1861, to July 25, 1865, by re-enlistment.

Churches.

Zion Welsh Union Church

     This church is also a branch from the Salem Church, which was organized in August, 1863, when they were declared an independent church.  Their church building is 27 by 32 feet, and located at York Township of section 28, five miles southwest of Venedocia.  Their membership is about 60.
     Rev. High Pugh was their first minister, and Rev. J. P. Morgan their present pastor, who has served them for a number of years.  Their Sunday-school is well attended, and a great auxiliary to the church.

Mount Zion United Brethren Church

     This church was organized in 1859, with eighteen members, by Rev. Daniel Hindricks.  They held their meetings in a school-house in the southeastern part of York Township for a number of years.
     In 1867 ot 1868 the society erected a log building 24 by 30 in the southeastern part of York Township, known as the Cottonwood Church, in which they have since worshipped.  Their pastors have been changed every one or two years.  The present pastor is the Rev. James Nicodemus.  Some of the early members were Benjamin Van Eman, Miss Van Eman, Benjamin Goodwin, Charlotte Goodwin, and others whose names cannot be learned.  Present membership about 22.  The church has lost many of its members by removal and by death.

 

 

 

JONESTOWN.

     This village is a station on the Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad, located four miles west of Venedocia, in York Township.  The post-office is known as Tokio.  It contains one grocery store, one saw-mill, and about half a dozen of dwelling houses.

BIOGRAPHIES.

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to TABLE of CONTENTS >

 

 

CLICK HERE to Return to
VAN WERT COUNTY, COUNTY

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights