A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy

 History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, Ohio
Published:  Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bros.

Trumbull County, Ohio
Pg. 549


     Township five of range four lies immediately north of Warren, east of Southington, west of Bazetta, and south of Bristol.  Through it passes two railroads, the Painesville & Youngstown Narrow-gauge, and the Ashtabula & Pittsburg.  The former enters Champion in the southeast of the township, near the old Warren and Ashtabula turnpike, and running northwest passes into Southington south of the center road.  On the State road, near the west line of the township, is a station, but no depot.  The Ashtabula & Pittsburg road enters the township near the southeastern corner, and runs entirely across the eastern half, bending gradually westward.  Thus road has two stopping-places in Champion, the first at Pierce's crossing in the southeast of the township, and the second, known as Champion, at the crossing of the center road.  These are both flag-stations, and are likewise unprovided with depots.
     The land is almost unvaryingly low and level.  Numerous springs furnish a good supply of water, and a number of small streams constitute the drainage system.  The northwestern part of the township is the most undulating, but even here there are no prominent elevations.  The water-shed dividing the waters which go northward into Lake Erie from those which seek an outlet into the Ohio river system, extends diagonally across the township from near the southwestern corner toward the northeastern, and, curiously enough, the land constituting it is apparently the lowest and levelest in the township.  Young's run is a small stream draining the eastern and southeastern portions of Champion.  The land adjacent to it differs from the rest of the township in having a more sandy soil.  The soil generally is clay.  A number of small streams or swales drain the northern portion.
     The northern half of the township formerly contained numerous swamps.  Much labor has been expended upon them, and the land after being properly drained is found to be superior to the drier soil in productiveness.  Long swamp extends a distance of a mile or more along the line of the Ashtabula & Pittsburg railroad, and still invites the labor of the husbandman for its reclamation.


     A heavy growth of valuable timber originally covered the surface of this township; none better could be found in the county, and if it were now standing it would be worth thousands of dollars, but the greater portion of it was destroyed by girdling and by fire before timber came to be of much value.  Beech, hickory, oak, maple, elm, whitewood, walnut, and ash were the principal varieties.


who doubtless, had been attracted hither by the abundance of game, had a little village of eight or ten huts which they continued to inhabit after the arrival of the settlers.  they were but a short distance from the settlement in the southern part of the township.  They lived on good terms with their white neighbors, and frequently visited the houses of the latter to grind  their tomahawks and beg food, tobacco, and "fire water."
     Traces of their work can still be seen and arrow and spear heads are frequently found.  In the vicinity of some springs or deer-licks in the southeastern part of the township, the Indians made a number of excavations, sufficiently deep to hide their bodies, and, having concealed themselves in these places, they watched and waited until an unsuspecting deer approached near enough to be shot.  Many a fine buck fell a victim to the unerring aim of the cunning savage.


     Campion was among the latest settled of the townships of Trumbull county.  Excepting a few families who came here in 1806 to 1808 and settled in the southern half of the township, no settlers came for about twenty years.  The land of the township was held by Henry Champion, an original member of the Connecticut Land company.  After disposing of a few farms to the first settlers it appears that he resolved to hold his land until it had increased in value largely, and for this reason refused to sell, except at prices which no settlers were willing to pay.  But while the owner was awaiting this augmentation of the value of his property, death summoned him from earth, and the land came into the possession of his heirs, his son, Aristarchus Champion, and his son-in-law, Henry C. Trumbull.  The land was then divided, Champion receiving the western half of the township and Trumbull the eastern.  About 1826 they sent on Mr. Cole to survey it, and also established an agency for its sale.  But after twenty years of waiting, the prices which could be obtained for the land were little in advance of those paid by the first settlers of other townships.


     The first improvements made in this township were made on land which is now the farm of Silas McMahan, on the State road, by a man named Nichols.  He remained in the township but a few years and nobody now living remembers him.
     The first permanent settler was
William Rutan, who came from Pennsylvania and settled in 1806.  He was a man of sterling worth, an obligating neighbor, an upright Christian, esteemed alike by old and young.  For many years he was a deacon of the Presbyterian church.  Modest and unassuming, his face is remembered by old people as the very picture of honesty and goodness.  He was the father of one son and one daughter.  The son, Henry L. Rutan, lived upon the old homestead and died an honored citizen in 1881, at the age of seventy-six.  The daughter, Catharine, married Solon Gilson, and died quite young.     John Rutan, William's brother, settled in this township soon after the latter did, but moved to Richland county with his family after residing here a few years.

     Asa Lane, a brother of Mrs. William Rutan, came to the township about 1807, and settled on the present Ashtabula & Warren road north of the Rutan farm.  After remaining four or five years he and his family removed.

     Andrew Donaldson settled on the farm adjoining William Rutan's upon the north and remained twenty years or more.  He removed to Parkman, where some of his children had gone previously.

     William Croninger settled in the same neighborhood at about the same date.  He remained until after the War of 1812, then moved away.

     John Chambers purchased and settled upon the farm where Croninger had made the first improvements.  HE and his wife Mary  were from Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.  Mrs. Chambers died in 1829 aged forty-nine.  Mr. Chambers moved to Mesopotamia in 1836, and died there in 1848, at the age of sixty-eight.  Their children were:  Hannah, Eliza, Johnson, Thompson, Wiley, Mary, and ClintonThompson is living in Hudson, Portage county; and Mary (Mrs. Edward Pierce), in Champion.  The others are dead.  Hannah (Laird) died in Dakota; Eliza (Pierce), in Champion; Johnson, in Champion; Wiley, a Michigan; and Clinton, in Mesopotamia.

     William Woodrow, from Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, bought land in this township in 1806 or 1807.  In 1807 he made a clearing and built a cabin.  In May, 1808, he moved to Champion with his family, which then consisted of his wife and two children.  They sent their goods to Pittsburg to be shipped thence to Beaver and remain there until they could be brought to Champion.  Mrs. Woodrow rode a horse and carried her son John, then about two and a half years old, in her arms.  The horse was loaded also with saddle-bags, in which a few household articles were packed.  Mr. Woodrow went on foot and drove two cows.  Upon his back he carried a knapsack and in it his son Smith, who was then about six months old.  The family took up their abode in a log-house, perhaps 15x25 feet on the ground, and twelve feet from the ground to the eaves.  A floor above and one below were made of split oak timber.  The chimney was built of straw, split sticks, and mortar.  Though especial pains were taken to have as much mortar on the inside as was possible, the chimney often caught fire, but was easily repaired.  Of the trials which beset this family during the first years of their housekeeping, Mr. Smith Woodrow, who furnished these details to the writer, gives many interesting reminiscences. 
     When Mrs. Woodrow came here she forgot her scissors and left them in her Pennsylvania home.  It soon became necessary to make her husband a pair of pantaloons, but how could she cut them?  Her woman's wit suggested a way out of the difficulty.  Accordingly she got the cloth and marked it, and going to the chopping block cut them out with an axe.  It is not likely that Mr. Woodrow's garment was a stylish fit, but they served the purpose for which they were intended and lasted equally as well as they would had they been cut by a fashionable tailor.
     Mr. and Mrs. Woodrow were the parents of nine children, whose names were: John, William Smith, Martha, James Boyd, Morgan, Mary, Henry, Calvin and Alvin (twins).  Two survive, William Smith and Mary.  John married Polly Cox, of Bristol, settled upon the State road in Champion and died there.  His son Newton now lives upon the place;  W. Smith married Eunice L. Holt, a native of Massachusetts, and settled in Warren, his present residence; Martha died at the age of fifteen; James Boyd remained single and died when about twenty-eight; Morgan married Mary Cleveland, of New York State, settled in Warren, moved west and died in Michigan; Mary married John Ewalt and resides in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania; Henry lived and died upon the old place in Champion.  He married for his first wife Lydia Woolcott, of Farmington; for his second, Zeviah Elwell; and for his third, Fannie EsterbrookCalvin died when about one year old and Alvin at the age of twenty-three.  William Woodrow about the 1st of May.  Her husband's death occurred twenty days later.  Mrs. Woodrow, nee Martha Smith, was of Scotch birth.  Both became members of the Presbyterian church in 1808, and led pure and useful lives characterized by benevolence and generosity.  Isaac N. Woodrow was born in Champion May 17, 1839, and married Miss Mary Smith, of Akron.

     Stephen Reeves bought John Rutan's farm, but left it and moved to Warren after a few years.
     In 1826 there were but four families residing in Champion, namely: the Rutan, Woodrow, Donaldson, and Chambers families.  Every farmer had a sugar camp and manufactured sugar and syrup enough to supply the family wants.


     The family of Edward Pierce was the fifth one in the township.  Mr. Pierce bought two hundred acres in the southeast of the township, where his son Edward, now lives, paying $500 for the same, and in 1828 moved from Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, and settled upon it.  Edward Pierce died in 1844, in his sixty-fifth year.  His wife Elizabeth died in 1843, at the age of sixty-eight.  Their children were Samuel, Elizabeth, Joseph, Edward, and Robert, all are dead except Edward, who is now sixty-nine years old.  He has always lived upon the old homestead, and intends to spend the remaining days of his life upon the place where his father and mother spent the most of their lives. He was married in 1848 to Miss Mary Chambers, daughter of John Chambers, of Mesopotamia township.  She was born in Champion township, and is doubtless the oldest person living in the township of those who were born in it.  They have had four children, three of whom are living.  Mr. and Mrs. Pierce are members of the Presbyterian church.  He has held several of the township offices, has been justice of the peace six years, and is a most worthy citizen.  Samuel Pierce died in Kentucky.  Elizabeth married Samuel Booth, of Champion, for her first husband; for her second she married William Dudley.  She died in Ashtabula county.
Joseph Pierce lived in Kentucky and Indiana, and died in the latter State.  Robert also lived in Kentucky, but moved to Illinois, and died.
     Joseph Pierce, son of the brother of Edward Pierce, Sr., settled on the farm where he now lives, in the east part of the township, in 1835.

     The Foulks came to Champion about 1829.  George settled in the east of the township, but afterwards moved to Pennsylvania, and died.  Daniel Foulk settled in the southeast of the township on the line.  Both he and his wife died here, but none of the family now remain.

     Benjamin Ross, in 1829, on the north, and remained some fifteen years.

     William Durst was one of the earliest of the later settlers.  He bought a farm, and settled at the junction of the State road and turnpike.  He paid $4.00 per acre for the land.  His sons, David and Lewis, are residents of this township.

     John Thompson and Joseph Cook were settlers of 1829-30, but sold out and left.

     John Mikesell and John Hall were pioneers who located on the turnpike.  Hull sold out and left.  Mikesell died in the township.  Clinton Mikesell lives on the old place.
     Several others made beginnings on the turnpike from 1829 to 1835, but left after a few years.

     Thomas Packard settled on the farm where he now lives in 1835, and began when all about him was in a very wild condition.

     Abram Weiss was an early settler at the center.  His widow is still living.  Two sons, Amos and Freeman, reside in the township.

     Ebenezer L. Smith came to this township early.  He died in December, 1881, and Mrs. Smith in January, 1882.  The family still remain.

     James and Samuel Walker were among the early comers, and settled in the eastern part of the township.  Both have sons living here.

     Horace Harper, one of the earliest of the second instalment of settlers, made the first improvements on the farm where he now resides in the south of the township, west of the turnpike.

     John N. McCombs, a settler of 1837, has lived in the township since that date.

     Albert Osborn, north of the center, is another of the pioneers who is still living.

     Simon Burstler, on the old Donaldson farm, is one of the comparatively early settlers.  His father came here with him.  His mother died not long ago, at a very advanced age.

     John Anderson has resided in the township many years.

     William McMurray, deceased, was a comparatively early settler.  His family still remain.

     On the Fowler road, in the northwest of Champion, were two old settlers, Benjamin Fowler and Daniel Hartman.  Some of the Hartman family still remain.
     From the beginning of the sale of land until 1840, settlements and improvements were made rapidly.


     Champion was an inviting field to the sportsman for many years after the game had been driven from other townships.  Besides the bears and wolves, deer and turkeys abounded.  Frequently they came in sight of the houses in the day time, and if a family needed a supply of fresh meat a few hours of hunting usually sufficed for obtaining it.
     Wolves were so destructive........ ...MORE TO COME UPON REQUEST


     The first road built through Champion was the old State road, used as a military road during the War of 1812.  It passed by the site of the county infirmary, and followed the general direction of the present State road, though with many twistings and turnings to avoid swamps and keep on the high ground.  Many low places were covered with considerable depth, and traveling over such spots became a difficult matter.  The present State road was........................MORE TO COME UPON REQUEST














     The graveyards of Champion are three in number, and situated one at the center, one adjacent to the Presbyterian church on the turnpike, and the third near the old Methodist church on the State road.  The cemetery at the center is the oldest.  It was purchased by the township for public use about 1840.  It is quite neat and tastily kept.  The oldest gravestone in it bears the date of 1842, and was erected to the memory of Caroline, daughter of A. and P. Rudisill, who died at the age of three years.  The graveyards adjacent to the two churches mentioned are small and but few interments have been made in them.




     William Woodrow was the first justice of the peace.
     William Rutan built the first frame house in the township.
     William Woodrow built the first brick house in 1828, and John Chambers the second in 1829.
     The first religious services in the township were conducted by Revs. Jones and Leslie, of the Presbyterian denomination, and held at the houses of Mr. Rutan and Mr. Woodrow.
     Sabrina Lane
, afterwards Mrs. Wheeler, was probably the first child born in the township.  She was born about the year 1807.
     The first death was that of a child of Asa Lane.
The first marriage was probably the wedding of a daughter of Mr. Donaldson to Mr. Norton, of Parkman.
     Isaac Lane kept the first tavern, in the south of Champion, some thirty-five years ago.  Edwin Weiss kept a public house at the center later.
     Thomas Hodds, an Englishman, kept a small grocery on the main road south of the State road, about 1850.  This was the first store.  Champion is too near Warren to offer any inducements for merchants to locate here.
     Three water saw-mills have been in operation in this township since the advent of the settlers of 828; and during recent years a number of steam saw-mills.  There never was a grist mill or a distillery in Champion.
     The first saw-mill was built by William Durst, and was situated on Young's run.  The second was on the same stream and was erected by Edward Pierce.  Both were run several years.  Another water saw-mill was built in the western part of the township, on Chocolate run, later, but it was not a success.




     HORACE HARPER, an old resident of Champion township, was born in Charlestown, New Hampshire, Nov. 3, 1796.  His father, John, was also a native of New Hampshire.  Mr. Horace Harper came to Ohio in 1819 and settled in Farmington township, Trumbull County, for seven or eight years, when he returned East and resided in New York for three years.  He then came to Ohio and located in Champion township upon the farm where we now find him.  He began in the woods and cleared up a good farm.

 , an early settler of Champion, was born Mar. 4, 1806, in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.  He came to Ohio in 1833, and settled upon the farm where his son Taylor now lives, in Champion township.  He came from Pennsylvania with an ox team.  His brother Samuel came at the same time.  Mr. James Walker, was a carder and cloth-dresser by trade.  He was the first carder in Warren.  He cleared up a good farm in Champion, which he carried on in connection with his trade.  He died July 25, 1878, leaving a family of eight children to mourn his loss.

     THOMAS PACKARD, a well-known resident of Trumbull, was born in Berlin township, Mahoning county, March 27, 1809.  His father, Garret, was a native of Virginia and came to Ohio in 1803, first locating in Austintown township for a short time, then moved to Deerfield where he resided until 1809, then moved to Berlin township, Mahoning county.  He purchased his land of General Perkins, and suffered all of the trials incident to pioneer life.  Mr. Thomas Packard, the subject of this sketch, was the first white child born in the township.  Garrett Packard lived in Berlin until his death, which occurred Nov. 20, 1820, aged forty-four years.  He left a family of ten children and widow to mourn his loss.  Thomas Packard came to Champion township Mar. 31, 1835, and located upon the farm where we now find him nicely situated.  He, like his father, began in the woods and cleared up a nice farm, the fruits of which he now enjoys.  He was married in 1832 to Miss Sarah Russell, daughter of Robert Russell of Austintown township.  Ten children have been born to them, seven of whom are living.  Three of the sons were in the war.  Mrs. Packard died in April, 1880.  She was a faithful member of the Disciple church at Warren, and a loving Christian mother.  Mr. Packard is also a member of the Disciple church and a most worthy citizen.

     JOSEPH PIERCE, a well known resident of Champion, was born in Armstrong, Clarion county, Pennsylvania, in 1808.  His father, Peter Pierce, was a native of New Jersey, and came to Pennsylvania when very young in company with his parents, who settled in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, for a few years, then moved to Indiana county, Pennsylvania, where he cleared up a farm, and reared a family of six children, all of whom lived to maturity.  Mr. Peter Pierce died in Champion, Dec. 7, 1866, while on a visit to his son Joseph.  He was a cooper by trade, and was among the early settlers of Clarion county, Pennsylvania.  There were eight children in his family, five of whom are living.  Mr. Joseph Pierce left Clarion county April 14, 1835, with a four-horse team, and arrived in Champion on the 19th of April.  He stopped with his cousin, Edward Pierce, a short time while a cabin was being erected, then moved upon his present farm which was then a dense forest.  Mr. Pierce was married in 1832 to Sarah R. McKee, daughter of Samuel McKee, of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.  They have had six children, only two of whom are living.  Mrs. Pierce died in 1856.  He was married the second time in 1857 to Miss Eliza Chambers, daughter of John Chambers, of Champion.  Mrs. Pierce died in August, 1877.  She was a member of the Presbyterian church.  Mr. Pierce is also a member.  In politics Mr. Pierce is a sound Republican, and has held several township offices - has been magistrate six years, and is till serving.

     JOHN N. McCOMBS, an old resident of Champion, was born Oct. 5, 1807, in Poland township, Mahoning county.  His father, William, was a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in 1800; settled upon the farm where Morris McCombs now lives.  He was a pioneer in the wilds of Ohio, and did much in his day toward improving the county.  He cleared up a good farm and lived upon it till his death.  There were ten children in his family.  Mr. John McCombs came to Champion township in 1837, and located upon the farm where he now lives.  Like the early settlers of Champion he made his farm.  He was married in 1836 to Miss Jane B. Scott, daughter of Matthew Scott, of Liberty township.  Three children were born to them.  Mrs. McCombs married, in 1847, Miss Laura E. Scott, sister of his first wife.  He had four children by his second wife.  Mr. and Mrs. McCombs were members of the Presbyterian church.  Politically Mr. McCombs was a Republican.  He has held several of the township offices.  He has been trustee several terms, also assessor, thus showing the confidence placed in him by his fellow-citizens.

     DANIEL HARTMAN was born in Clinton township, Pennsylvania, in 1810.  His father, Nicholas Hartman, was also a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in 1834, and settled in Jackson township, Trumbull county, now Mahoning.  The following year Mr. Daniel Hartman came to Ohio and located in the same township, where he resided nearly two years, then came to Champion township and settled upon the farm where his widow now lives.  He was one of the first settlers in the western part of the township.  He cleared up a good farm and lived to enjoy the fruits of his labor till 1865, when he died leaving a family of ten children and a widow to mourn his loss.  Seven of the children are now living.  Mr. Hartman was formerly a member of the United Brethren church.  He was married in 1837 to Miss Catherine Fowler, a daughter of James Fowler, of Pennsylvania.  She was born Jan. 13, 1814.  Mr. Hartman was well known and highly esteemed by all who knew him.

     ALFRED OSBORN, an old resident of Trumbull county, was born in Youngstown June 25, 1808.  His father, Joseph Osborn, was a Virginian by birth and came to Ohio in 1804 or thereabouts, and settled in Youngstown township, in the western part, and was among the early pioneers.  He cleared up a good farm.  He died in1846, leaving a family of ten children and a widow.  Mrs. Osborn followed her husband in about nine years.  She was in her eightieth year.  Mr. Alfred Osborn came to Champion township in 1838 and is consequently among the early settlers of the township.  The forest yielded to his axe and in a few years he had a good farm.  He was married November 1, 1838, to Miss Lena Kyle, daughter of John Kyle, of Kinsman township.  This union was blessed with two children, only one of which is living.  Mrs. Osborn is a member of the Methodist church and a devoted Christian.  Mr. Osborn has been an active, enterprising man in his day.  At the present time he is nearly blind, though he bears up under the misfortune bravely, knowing that he has lived an honest, upright life.

     AMOS WEISS was born Jan. 24, 1826, in Austintown township.  His father, Abraham Weiss, as born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in about 1823 or 1824, settling in Austintown, where he lived till 1839.  He then moved to Champion township, and settled upon the farm where his widow and one son now live.  Mr. Weiss died in September, 1853, leaving a family of nine children.  Mr. Amos Weiss has always lived in the township since his coming from Austintown.  He is engaged in general farming.  He was married in April, 1849, to Miss Hannah Price, daughter of John Price, of Champion township.  Six children are the fruits of this marriage: John P., Charles, Saloma, Walter, Nellie, and Mary.  John and Charles are deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Weiss are members of the Disciple church.  Politically Mr. Weiss is a Republican.

     JOHN ANDERSON was born in Ireland Mar. 5, 1817, and came to America in March, 1837, landing at New York after a passage of six weeks and three days. He lived about one year in Pennsylvania, then came to Ohio and resided in Warren and Liberty townships two years.  He then returned to Pennsylvania and was employed for two years in the construction of the canal at Greenville, then returned to Ohio and located upon the farm where he now lives.  The farm was but partly improved at the time of his coming, though now he has a fine home.  He has made dairying and stock raising his chief business.  He was married in 1844 to Miss Catherine Hyde, daughter of Captain Ira Hyde, of Farmington.  They have had six children - Oliver, Ella, Eliza, Ira, Perry, and Mary The last three are deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are Methodists; and are esteemed by all who know them.

     ISAAC LECHLEITNER was born Apr. 15, 1818, in Northampton county, Pennsylvania.  His father, George Lechleitner, was also a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in 1831, and settled in Jackson township, Trumbull county, now Mahoning, and lived here till his death, which occurred in November, 1860, leaving a family of six children, three of whom are living.  Mrs. Lechleitner died November, 1880.  Mr. Isaac Lechleitner came to Champion in 1844, and located upon a farm where we now find him most pleasantly situated.  He began in the woods and cleared up a good farm; has one hundred and seventy-three and one-half acres of excellent land.  He was married, in 1843, to Miss Sarah Clemmens, daughter of Daniel Clemmens, of Jackson township.  They have three children - Louis, Eli, and Nancy E.  Mr. and Mrs. Lechleitner are devoted members of the United Brethren church.  Mr. Lechleitner is one of the substantial and well-to-do farmers of the township.

     WILLIAM CLEMMENS was born in Jackson township July 4, 1824.  His father, Daniel Clemmens, was a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in 1821 and settled in Jackson township, and was among the early settlers.  He began in the woods, and by hard labor, for which the Clemmens family is well known, he soon he had a good farm, upon which he lived until his death, in September, 1873, leaving a family of eleven children, ten of whom are living.  Mrs. Clemmens died several years before Mr. Clemmens.  Mr. William Clemmens came to Champion in 1844, and was married two years afterwards to Miss Eliza Hoover, daughter of Jonas Hoover, of Bazetta township.  They have had seven children, four of whom are living.  Mr. Clemmens began in the wilderness and cleared up a good farm.  Mrs. Clemmens did her first cooking by the side of a stump for some time, and therefore knows something about the trials of pioneer life.  Mr. and Mrs. Clemmens are supporters of the United Brethren church.  Politically he is a good Republican.

     JOHN OSBORN was born in Canfield in 1828.  His father, Jonathan, came from Virginia to Ohio in about 1804, and settled in Canfield and was one of the early settlers in the township.  His father, John Osborn, lived in Canfield till his death.  He doubtless began in the wilderness and cleared up a good farm.  There were ten children in the family.  Mr. Jonathan Osborn came to Champion township in 1845, and settled where John Osborn, the subject of this sketch, now lives.  He died in March, 1867, leaving a family of six children, five of whom are living.  Mrs. Osborn died in 1850.  Mr. John Osborn, the subject, has a farm of two hundred acres of good land.  He was married in 184 to Miss Eliza eth Shively, daughter of Jacob Shiveley, of Bristol township.  They have five children, four of whom are living.  Mr. Osborn is a good farmer and merits the esteem of all who know him. 

     EDWARD JONES was born in Austintown township Dec. 19, 1828.  His father, John, was also a native of Ohio, and was the first white child born in Warren township (according to some accounts).  Caleb Jones, grandfather of Edward, came to Ohio in a very early day.  The family was of Welsh descent.  Mr. John Jones spent his days in what was once Trumbull county.  He went to Austintown township when he was a young man, and cleared up a good farm, which is now occupied by Mr. A. B. Jones, and lived here until his death in 1837.  Mrs. Jones died in Feb., 1878.  Mr. Edward Jone_ came to Champion Mar. 19, 1850, and settled one mile east of his present farm.  He cleared up a good farm and lived upon it ten years.  He then moved upon the one where he is now located.  He was married Aug. 19, 1846, to Miss Martha J. Osborn, daughter of Abram Osborn of Austintown.  They had eight children, five of whom are living.  Mrs. Jones died in February, 1874.  She was a member of the Disciple church, a faithful wife and loving mother.  Mr. Jones is an active, wide-wake farmer.  Stock raising is his chief business.  He has a fine farm, which he keeps in the best of condition, showing industry and thrift.

     ROBERT RUSSELL was born in Austintown township in 1820.  His father, Robert Russell was a native of Virginia, and came to Ohio in 1802, and first settled at Mentor, where he resided till 1806; then moved to Austintown was a pioneer in the township; built up a good farm and lived upon it till his death in January, 1879.  Mrs. Russell died in 1873 or 1874.  There were nine children in the family, six of whom are living.  Mr. Robert Russell, the subject of this sketch, came to Champion in 1851 and settled upon the farm where he has since lived.  He has one hundred and twenty acres of good land, and is engaged in general farming.  He was married in 1851 to Miss Elizabeth Lanterman, daughter of William Lanterman, of Austintown.  They have three children - George C., Alice E., Cornelia J.  Mr. and Mrs. Russell are members of the Disciple church.  Politically he is a Republican.

     WILLIAM HUNT was born in Canfield township, Mahoning county, Dec. 31, 1824.  His father, Samuel Hunt was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in about 1820, and settled in Canfield township, where he lived till 1846, when he moved to Champion township.  He began in the wilderness and cleared up a good farm upon which his widow and son, C. F. Hunt, now live.  He died Dec. 26, 1879, in his seventy-ninth year.  There were eleven children in his family, eight of whom are living .  He was a member of the Presbyterian church, as was Mrs. Hunt.  Mr. William Hunt has lived upon the farm where we now find him since 1852.  He is engaged in general farming.  He was married in 1850 to Miss Sarah Ann Weiss, daughter of Abram Weiss, of Champion.  Mrs. Hunt died in March, 1872.  There were seven children, six of whom are living.  He was married in the second time in 1872, to Miss Ramsey, daughter of James Ramsey, of Canfield.  Both are members of the Methodist church.

     DAVID LEACH was born Oct. 16, 1815, in Sussex county, New Jersey.  His father, John,  was a native of New Jersey, and came to Ohio in 1820, and settled in Austintown township, Trumbull county, now Mahoning.  Her he resided several years, and was among the early settlers of the township.  He was a blacksmith by trade.  He died in 1826 or 1827, leaving a family of eleven children and a widow to mourn his loss.  His family moved to Lordstown township in 1827 or 1828, and were among the earliest settlers in Lordstown.  Mrs. Leach, mother of David Leach, died in 1875 in her ninety-fourth year.  Mr. David Leach came to Champion in 1876, and located upon the farm where we now find him.  He has made it a practice to move once a year since his marriage.  He was married Sept. 30, 1838, to Miss Effie Jones, daughter of John Jones, of Austintown.  They have had five children, three living.  Mr. and Mrs. Leach are members of the Disciple church.  In politics a sound Republican.

     N. D. FOLSOM was born in 1837 in Weathersfield township, Trumbull county.  His father, Jonathan, was a native of Essex county, New York, and came to Ohio in 1834.  He located in Weathersfield township, where he resided till 1864, being engaged in farming in the meantime.  He then moved to Howland township, where he has since lived.  Mr. N. D. Folsom came to Champion township in March, 1880.  He is superintendent of the infirmary farm, and gives the best of satisfaction, fulfilling his duties faithfully and well.  He was married Nov. 29, 1879, to Miss Mary McMullen, daughter of Washington McMullen, of Brookfield township.  Mr. and Mrs. Folsom are consistent members of the Disciple church.  In politics Mr. Folsom is a sound Republican.



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights