| The boundary lines of Lordstown
were originally run by the surveying party of the
Connecticut Land company, and, like the other townships of
the county, has always been considered as embracing an area
of five miles square, but subsequent investigation ahs
revealed the fact that this township contains but 14, 492
acres, and is the smallest township in the county. The
surface is generally of beautiful rolling land, and consists
of a sandy loam and clay soil.
From the southwest to the northwest, diagonally across
the township, with a variable width of a half mile or less,
extends a gravel and sand ridge. On the northeast side
of this ridge the soil is of a sandy loam, and on the
southwest side is the rich loam especially productive of
wheat. Grazing is general throughout the township, and
many of the farmers take special pride in raising fine-wool
Much of the land has been redeemed from boggy wastes to
fertile fields by artificial drainage, and lands, once
producing cranberries in wild profusion, are now productive
farms, dotted with substantial farm residences and well
HENRY THORN came from Virginia
in 1822, and built the first log cabin in Lordstown, about
two and one-half miles east of the center; soon after his
brother William came and settled near him. He
soon after moved south of the center where he died.
JOHN TAIT and his brother
Robert settled together on lot number fourteen, north of
the center, in 1824. They began blacksmithing, and
were the first to engage in blacksmithing in the township.
Robert Tait purchased a farm northeast of his brother
where he now resides, and is the oldest pioneer now living
in the township. In 1826 Thomas Pew settled
near the Woodward residence, immediately south of the
center. In this same year William Moore settled
on what was then known as the "old Indian trail, which lead
from the salt springs in Weathersfield to Sandusky, and his
log-cabin stood about forty rods north of the present
Ohltown road, on lot number seventy-three.
In 1826 Lyman
Lovell, Peleg Lewis, John Lewis, Samuel Bassett, Peter
Snyder, Leonard Miller, Thomas Longmore, and John
Owens lived north of the center, and Andrew Grove
and James Preston lived south.
From this time the township began to improve and
increase in population; small tracts of land were sold to
suit the small means of the purchasers, thus affording homes
for a greater number of families; but as some grew richer
they began purchasing more land, and the farms grew larger,
but the number of families less. The census reports
show that in 1860 this township had a population of nine
hundred and ninety; in 1870, eight hundred and fifty; and in
1880, eight hundred and four.
FIRST OFFICIAL ACTS, AND
Meander, southeast of the center. The present
steam saw-mill was first built about 1850, and the Simon's
steam mill in1860.
In January, 1830
another district was made and the others changed.
Altogether the householders of Lordstown at that time were,
Cunningham, John, Jr.
Kidler, Andrew, Jr.
Kidler, Andrew, Sr.
Lewis, John & David
Longmore, Alexander & Thomas
Sankey, Joseph C.
Thorn, William & Henry
Of these early householders Andrew Grove
is the only one now living in the township. Though
Robert Tait had settled here earlier his name does not
appear in the records and he probably was not a householder
at the time. Also Thomas Duncan, who came in
1829, probably was not yet on the list of householders.
There may have been others residing in the township whose
names are not on this list, but if there were they could not
at this time be ascertained; so the list is given to show
the extent of the settlement of the township in 1830, three
years after its organization, whereby some estimate can be
made of the many changes in the last fifty years.
The list also shows the names of those who were taxed
for the first schools, and was made for that purpose.
The first school-house at the center stood a short
distance south, near "the ledge," and was a small log cabin.
The first teacher of whom any account can now be
ascertained, was Anna Harmon. She was a dear
lover of Bohea tea, and carried it with her to school, and
always kept a tin full hot by the school house fire, and
many times "Aunt Anna," as she was called, found more
than tea grounds in the bottom of her tin. It seems
that "Aunt Anna" had limits in which she thought it
necessary that the pioneer youthful mind should be
circumscribed, and hence at the beginning of the school the
first class would begin at "crucifix" and the other class at
"baker," and at the close, finish as usual at "The Fox and
the Bramble." Next term the same ground would be
patiently and with profound gravity gone all over again.
The next teacher was John Fullerton, an old bachelor,
who was given to mirth, and indulged in occasional "sprees,"
but succeeded, however, in pushing the expanding mind of the
scholars as far as the English reader, and the "rule of
three," which then embraced the highest branches of
education, and was deemed amply sufficient for all the
demands of life. Granville Sears afterwards combined
his trade of making boots at night with teaching school in
the day time; and it is related of him that in an emergency
he could "lay about him with a hickory gad" in a way that
commanded the respect if not the admiration of the students
of his academy.
About 1840 a frame school building was erected at the
center, on the site of the present district school-house,
which was burned down, but another soon replaced the loss.
The first select school was taught by Joseph King,
now a minister of the gospel in Pittsburg. He was a
great worker in the cause of education, and subsequently, as
his school increased in numbers, taught in the town hall,
and succeeded in fitting many teachers for successful work,
and secured quite a reputation for the school at Lordstown.
After him came his brother, John King; then Mr.
Campbell, and after that the interest in the school
seemed almost entirely lost, until S. F. De Ford
came, who was an excellent educator, and he taught two terms
in the old hall, but afterwards began and finished the
Lordstown academy; the school was very successful for some
time. After De Ford, R. W. Duncan taught
the school four years. The school was afterwards
allowed to cease, and in 1870 the building was sold for a
cheese factory but about 1877 the township purchased the
building for township purposes.
In 1875 the Lordstown Educational society was formed,
of which A. G. McCorkle, James Wilson, Jr., D. K.
Woodward, George W. Harshman, John C. Pew, and L. C.
Longmore, are the working members. This
organization proposes to engage teachers for a graded school
and pay from their own treasury the amount necessary to
employ competent teachers over and above what the township
trustees will alow to be paid for teachers from the public
fund. The board of education this year made this a
graded school and has been very successful. The
building is well adapted for the school and for the various
purposes of public necessity for which it is used, and
especially is the school a credit to the township and speaks
well for the citizens, especially those who have labored so
faithfully in behalf of education and intellectual
improvement in this township.
TEMPERANCE AND MORALITY.
EARLY MEETINGS AT OHLTOWN.
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH,
THE UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH,
THE DISCIPLE CHURCH,
THE ENGLISH LUTHERAN CHURCH -
THE LADIES AID SOCIETY.
EDEN GRANGE NO. 1,294,
NOTES ON SETTLEMENT.
an old resident of Lordstown township, was born in
Austintown in 1807. His father, Michael Ohl,
a native of Pennsylvania, came to Ohio in 1804 or 1805, and
settled in Canfield township, Trumbull county, for a short
time, and then moved to Austintown, where he lived many
years. He then came to Ohltown, Weathersfield
township. The town derived its name from Mr.
Ohl. He was a farmer by occupation, though he was
interested in milling considerably. The family is of
German descent. There were thirteen children in his
family, seven boys and six girls. Mr.
Charles Ohl came to Lordstown in 1839, and
located upon the farm where he now resides. His house
was destroyed by fire about a year ago, yet Mr.
Ohl in his old age is again building. In 1838 he married
Miss Elizabeth Robb, daughter of John
Robb, of Lordstown township. Eight children
were the fruit of this union. Mrs. Ohl
died in August, 1874. She was a member of the United
Brethren church. In politics Mr. Ohl is
GRANVILLE W. SEARS
who came to Lordstown in 1829, was born in Northampton
county, Pennsylvania; died on the home farm, Dec. 8, 1877,
aged seventy-one years, one month and twenty-six days.
He left at his death, his wife, who is now living, five
sons, three daughters, forty-four grandchildren, and four
great grandchildren. He was a carpenter by trade and
put up most of the early houses in this locality, and built
the locks on the canal from Newton Falls to Youngstown.
He was married, in 1830, to Rebecca Weaver, who was
six years younger than her husband. They had a family
of the following children: Polly, deceased;
Catharine, now Mrs. George Wonders;
Rebecca, deceased; Mary Ann, deceased;
Mariah, now Mrs. William Hahn,
Lavina, now Mrs. Crandall Semple,
Isaac, Jacob, Abram D., Samuel, and George
A. Mr. Bailey was known as a prominent man in all
public affairs of his neighborhood, especially in the
Lutheran church, of which he was a devoted member, and its
most zealous supporter, liberal almost to a fault in
contributing both his time and money to the support of the
church and the spread of the gospel. His house was
known as the Lutheran hotel of Lordstown, and the ministers
of the gospel always had a kind welcome there. He came
to the township a poor man, having only $4.50 in money;
contracted for one hundred acres of land, which, by hard
work, rigid economy, and frugal living, soon became his own.
Abram D. Bailey was born Apr. 14, 1839, and was
married to Mary J. Wonders in 1860, who was born Mar.
4, 1837. To them were born the following children:
Laura (married), Sarah Josephine, James
Ulysses, Harry Tecumseh, Mary Ann,
Maria Antoinette, Edith Ione, Agnes
Lavina, and Carroll Bismarck. He
settled on his father's farm immediately after marriage,
where he has since lived, and where all his children were
born. He has served two terms as trustee, being the
first Republican elected in this strong Democratic locality.
He, like his father before him, is a leading member of the
Lutheran church, to which he is earnestly devoted; was a
member of the building committee of the new church, and has
been trustee of the same for many years. In 1864 he
served one hundred days as member of the One Hundred and
Seventy-first Ohio National guard, and with his regiment was
taken prisoner at the battle of Cynthiana, Kentucky, by
General Morgan. While on their way to
Richmond they were over taken by the Union forces under
General Burbridge, near Augusta, paroled and sent
to John son's Island, where Mr. Bailey
did guard duty until the fall of the same year, when he was
was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, Sept. 20, 1815.
His father, John C., was a native of New Jersey, and
lived and died in that State. The family is of Irish
descent. James Cassidy came to Ohio in 1837.
He was a tanner by trade. He came to Lordstown in 1838
or 1839, and built a tannery at the center and followed his
business for eight years, then went upon the farm, where he
now lives. He has made dairying his chief occupation.
He was married in 1839 to Miss Elizabeth Struble,
daughter of Jacob Struble, of Sussex county,
New Jersey. They have had four children, Granville,
Adelaide, Elby, and John.
Granville was killed at Vicksburg while bravely fighting
in defense of his country. Mr. Cassidy
is a member of the Disciple church. Politically he is
a firm Democrat.
JAMES WILSON, JR.
JAMES WILSON, SR.
SAMUEL R. GREINER
and his wife, Rebecca (Sechler), of Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, moved to Lordstown, Trumbull county, about
fifty years ago. They settled on and cleared up the
place on They raised a family of eight children, of whom
are still living: L. F., Julia (Hoffman), Catharine
(Craver), C. E. Hannah (deceased), Rebecca, Samuel
E. KISTLER, a well-known citizen of
Warren, was born in Lordstown in 1835. In 1859 he
married Mary A. Harris, of Lordstown, and resided at
Newton Falls for ten years, engaged in the manufacture of
harnesses. In 1869 he removed to Warren, where he has
since been engaged in the livery business.
WILLIAM SALEN, SR.
(deceased) was a native of Ireland, and born in 1803.
He came to America in 1825, and first settled in Pittsburg,
Pennsylvania, where he remained five years, and then came to
Lordstown, Trumbull county, Ohio, settling upon the farm now
occupied by his son. In 1830 he married Miss
Isabella McRora, and had six children, four of whom died
when quite young. He died in 1858 on the farm where he
settled, leaving a wife and two children to mourn his loss.
His wife died in 1869. They were for many years
members of the Presbyterian church of Warren.
William H. Pew, the elder of the two sons who survived
them, was married in 1857 to Miss Angeline, daughter
of Thomas Woodward, of Jackson, Mahoning county.
He died in February, 1861. John C. Pew was born
on the home farm in Lordstown (where he still lives), Sept.
3, 1837. In June, 1863, he was united in marriage to
Miss Elizabeth Pew,
daughter of Seymour Pew, of Warren. She died in
May, 1864. Oct. 11, 1866, he married Miss Mary
Ernest of Braceville, Trumbull county. Three
children were born of this union - Adelbert E.,
Jennie C., and Blanche M. Mr. and Mrs. Pew are
members of the Disciple church of Lordstown.
the third settler in Lordstown township, was born in Ireland
in 1767 and emigrated to America in 1823. He came to
Ohio the following year and settled in Braceville township
for a year or two, then came to Lordstown and located upon
the farm where his son George now lives.
There were eight children in the family, four boys and four
girls. Mr. Longmore was a weaver by
trade, though he he carried on farming. He died
in 1848. Mrs. Longmore died in 1851.
Mr. George Longmore has always lived upon the old home
farm. He was married in 1867 to Miss Emily Fishel,
daughter of Samuel Fishel of Southington township.
They have no children, Martha and Blanche.
Mrs. Longmore died Feb. 6, 1881. She was a
member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Longmore is
also a member.
LEONARD WOODWARD, an
early resident of Lordstown township, was born in
Pennsylvania, May 25, 1804. His father, Jehu,
was a native of Pennsylvania. Mr. Leonard Woodward
came to Lordstown in 1831 and settled upon the farm where
his son now lives. He began in the woods, but by hard
work he soon had a fine farm. He was a carpenter by
trade. He was married Mar. 20, 1831, to Miss Annie
Moherman, daughter of Frederick and Mary Moherman,
of Austintown. By this union there were nine children,
six of whom are living - Mary, Rachel, Elizabeth, Almira,
John, Amanda, Orlando, Delbert, Charles. Mary,
Elizabeth, Amanda, are deceased. Mr. Woodward
died Aug. 22, 1867. She was a member of the Disciple
church and a devoted Christian. Mr. Woodward
was justice many years. He was respected by all who
JACOB HARSHMAN was born
in Washington county, Pennsylvania, Dec. 4, 1821. His
father, Jacob H., was a native of Washington county,
Maryland, near Hagerstown. He was born in 1790.
The family is of German descent, Mathias Harshman,
grandfather of Jacob Harshman, the subject of this
sketch, reared a family in Maryland. He moved to
Pennsylvania in 1800 and settled in Washington county, and
lived there till 1807, then came to Ohio, locating in
Youngstown township. He was among the early pioneers
of the township. Living here seen years he moved to
Austintown, where he resided several years, then moved to
Weathersfield. In 1831 or 1832 he came to Lordstown,
where he lived till his death in the winter of 1837, leaving
a family of ten children and a widow to mourn his loss.
Mrs. Harshman died in the fall of 1851. Mr.
Jacob Harshman, Sr., went back to Pennsylvania in 1813,
where he remained till 1836, then returned to Ohio and
located in Lordstown. He was married in 1814 to
Miss Elizabeth Moninger, daughter of John Moninger,
of Pennsylvania. The had nine children, of whom
eight are living at the present time - Mathias, John,
Mary, Catharine, Jacob, George W., Elizabeth, Levi, Ephraim.
Mathias is deceased. Jacob Harshman, the
fifth child, has lived in Lordstown since 1836. He was
married in 1840 to Miss Catherine Jones, daughter of
Samuel Jones of Lordstown. Eleven children have
been born to them, ten of whom are living. Mr. and
Mrs. Harshman are members of the Methodist church, also
five of the children. Mr. Harshman has been
justice of the peace twenty-four years. In politics he
is a good Democrat.
END OF CHAPTER XXII - LORDSTOWN TWP.
RETURN TO TABLE
OF CONTENTS >