The original proprietors of the land now contained in this
township were David Huntington, Nathaniel Shalor, Samuel P. Lord,
Sylvester Mather, and Richard McCurdy; and it embraces by the
land company's survey 17,247 acres. Afterwards a special
survey was made for these proprietors by David Wolcott,
when it was found that the former survey was in error by two hundred
and seventy-five acres short, the surplus accruing to the
purchasers. The above-named
[Page 479] -
persons formed a company and received the deeds of the lands from
the Connecticut Land company, dated Sept. 20, 1798. In 1802
the company formed by the proprietors, as above
mentioned, had the land surveyed in separate portions and divided
Nathaniel Shalor received for his share the northern part
of the tract beginning at lot number one
and extending to lot number thirty-seven, inclusive, comprising in
all 7,300 acres.
David Huntington received lots numbers eight and
Sylvester Mather received lots numbers thirty-nine and
sixty-five, inclusive, and altogether amounting to 4,469 acres.
Richard McCurdy received lots numbers sixty-six and
ninety, and all inclusive, or 4,118 acres.
S. P. Lord received lots numbers ninety-one and one hundred on
the southern border, and all inclusive, or 1,635 acres.
From these proprietors the early settlers made their purchases, and
soon the settlement of Bazetta began.
LOCATION AND BOUNDARY
POPULATION AND INDUSTRIES
[Page 480] -
ricultural department, while there is some attention paid to
stock-raising, grazing, etc.
MILLS AND FACTORIES.
THE DIAMOND CHEESE FACTORY
THE CORTLAND CHEESE FACTORY
settler in Bazetta was Edward Schofield, who came to
the township about 1804, and settled on the farm now owned by N.
A. Cowdery, on lot twenty-two. He was born in Connecticut
in 1777, and came to the Reserve in 1797. He assisted in
surveying lots in many of the townships and finally settled in
Bazetta, alone, with his nearest neighbor five miles distant.
In 1817 he was elected to the State Legislature. He was a
pious man, often preaching the gospel to the early settlers, and was
largely instrumental in founding the early religious organization of
the township. He is remembered as a generous and liberal man,
eminently given to hospitality.
About the same time with Schofield John Budd and
family came and settled south of Schofield, on the farm
now owned by William B. Kennedy – lot thirty-two. After
him came Henry K. Hulse, and settled on the farm now owned by
Ephraim Post—lot eight–north of Schofield and Budd;
also Joseph Pruden came and settled north of Hulse,
on the present William Davis farm—lot nine. John
Godden came about this time, but he did not live long, having
died about 1810, and was buried in the orchard lot on the Davis
farm. Joshua Oatley and Moses
Hampton also came about this same time.
These constituted the settlements made in Bazetta up to
the year 1811. In the spring of this year
Sr., came from Pennsylvania and settled where Mr.
Pruden had first settled, now owned by his son William,
where he planted the first orchard in the township. He was
accompanied to the new settlement in Ohio by his wife, who yet lives
in Bazetta, and is the oldest living settler in the township.
She was born in New Jersey July 1, 1784, and is a granddaughter of
General Stark, of the Revolutionary war; her maiden name was Ann
Luce. At the age of four years her father moved to
Washington county, Pennsylvania, where she was afterward married to
William Davis, Jan. 1, 1804. She was soon left,
by the misfortune of her husband, with a large family and consider
able debt on the farm; but being possessed with remarkable energy, a
good constitution, and health, she inspired her children with energy
and perseverance that soon cleared the farm of debt. She was
left a widow in 1860, the long illness of her husband finally ending
in his death.
MRS. DAVIS was one of the original
members of the Disciple church, and is the only surviving member of
that pioneer band. In addition to her own large family she
gave a home to three orphan children, who were the subjects of her
care with her own. She is now in her ninety-seventh year, and
for several years a cataract in the eyes has almost totally
destroyed her vision, and the past few years have rendered her frail
in body and mind, but she has tender care from
William B. Kennedy
[Page 481] -
solicitous children, and her last days, so far as human hands can
minister, will be smoothed peacefully down to the end.
Soon after Mr. Davis, Benjamin Rowlee came with
quite a large family of young men and women, also widow Dixon
and family, James Parker, and Moses
McMahon with their families. In the following year (1812)
the war commenced, which very much retarded the growth of the
Bazetta settlement, and which also affected the prosperity of the
pioneers for some time. The men of the settlement, with their
neighbors throughout the section of country, who were capable of
bearing arms, were soon called upon to leave their just begun work
when most it needed their care, and go in defence of their country.
The oat crop was then ready for gathering, and some of the fields
had been mown down, and yet lay in the swath. Some was
standing, but the men had to leave all and go.
In these early times very little could be lost without
serious damage to the meager supply of the pioneer, whose simplest
wants were hardly supplied by the hardest toil.
Let us turn back a leaf in the history of Bazetta, and
see an example of patriotism, and especially of female courage and
hardihood as shown by the early mothers of the township. The
men were gone at their country's call, and the harvest stood half
cut. in the fields, and was fast going to waste, and they could ill
afford to lose it. They saw that it depended upon them to save the
harvest, while they already had the care of large families and the
various other household duties to perform, but with commendable
spirit and hardy ambition they repaired with their little ones to
the fields, and having arranged for the keeping of the infants in
the shades of the forest by the older children, they, with sickle,
pitchfork, and rake in hand, entered the fields, and saved the
grain. On the return of the men they found the harvest well
cared for and the other work of the household and farm had suffered
but little if any during their absence.
Among those who were called away at this time were
Henry Hulse, Benjamin and Constant
Rowlee, James and Walter Dixon, William Davis, and
Samuel Tanner. After a few skirmishes with the Indians at
Sandusky they all returned safely home except Walter Dixon,
who had been wounded but who subsequently recovered.
At this time the larger part of the township was almost
an unbroken forest, with here and there a log hut, some of them
without floor, save the ground; no doors except what were provided
by hanging bed quilts across the opening. The windows were
made by holes cut through the logs or the mud chinking, over which
greased paper was pasted. The better cabins were provided with
puncheon floors, but at best they were rude cabins and but meagerly
furnished. The pioneer had little time and perhaps less desire
to provide himself with luxurious comforts; his life was one of toil
and privation, and was spent before the days of luxuries came.
His strong frame, bent with toil, lies in the rural graveyard,
and his hardened hands lie folded and quiet at last, while others
reap where he has sown.
[Page 482] -
the only town in Bazetta township, and is pleasantly situated on the
New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio railroad, in the northeastern part
of the township. It is now a thriving town of six hundred and
fourteen inhabitants, and contains three churches, two newspapers,
stores, mills, and other industries and business operations and
enterprises. Two hotels and two livery stables provide for the
wants of the traveling public. H. G. Bacon in the
principal dealer in groceries of all kinds, and C. C. Clawson
is largely engaged in a dry goods and general mercantile business.
J. A. Bradford deals in all kinds of furniture. These
are a few of the prominent business firms of the village.
The town was
formally incorporated in 1874, and at the first election under the
incorporation the following officials were chosen: Asa Hines,
mayor; W. W. Post, clerk; E. A. Faunce, treasurer;
Joseph Young, marshal; A. S. Gilbert, R. D. Larned, J. H. Post,
M. Bacon, M. Craft, and A. G. Miller were elected
Gazette was established May 19, 1876, and is devoted to general and
local news, and has for its motto “One country, one currency, and a
credit based upon coin.” The
[Page 483] -
paper was first started by W. A. Craft, publisher, and
John Johnston, editor. The latter has since become
The Cortland Era is a sprightly little paper, and has
for its object “the greatest good to the greatest number.” It
is independent in politics and is issued by Caldwell &
Cortland is more noted for its educational advantages, her citizens
having made special efforts in securing the location of a large and
commodious union school-building, fitted with all the modern
facilities for educational pursuits.
CORTLAND HIGH SCHOOL.
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
[Page 484] -
THE DISCIPLES CHURCH
THE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
From the best authority, in the absence of the records, the date of
the organization of this society was about 1830. At this time
the first building was erected, but the rapid growth of the society
soon necessitated the building of a new edifice, and the old church
was abandoned, and was refitted for a hall. The new building
was begun in 1879, and is now (1881) finished. It is a large
and commodious brick structure of modern architecture, with audience
rooms having a seating capacity of over four hundred, also lecture
room, basement, and other chambers, eight in all. The society
now has a membership of about one hundred and twenty, formed into
four classes, of which C. C. Clawson, Mahlon Craft, and F.
A. Richards are the leaders. The board of trustees is
composed of Solomon Cline, Mahlon Craft, C. C. Clawson, A. J.
Larned, August Hayden, B. F. Meek, and F. A. Richards;
and the present pastor is Rev. J. H. Starrett.
THE UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH
This denomination has organized several societies in the township.
The one in Cortland was organized in 1869, when the church building
was erected. Rev. W. H. Millar was the first pastor.
He came from Portage county, and took charge of this congregation,
and the one in the south part of the township. The board of
trustees, elected at the quarterly conference at the time of the
organization, was composed of Rev. W. H. Millar, Rev.
Silas Caster line, Thomas Kennedy, James Hulse,
and D. P. Hayden. The latter was steward and David
Wilson leader. The membership at that time numbered about
twenty-seven, and was scattered over a great extent of territory.
The church building was dedicated in January, 1870, and the
dedicatory exercises were presided over by Bishop J. J.
Glossbrenner, of Virginia. The present membership numbers
about fifty, under the pastoral charge of Rev. D. A. Bonewell.
The present officials are Silas Casterline, James
Hulse, Thomas Kennedy, Fitch Mapes,
and Orville Hayden, trustees. The latter is also
class leader and William Roberts steward.
THE TEMPLE, OR WEST BAZETTA CHURCH.
is located in the
southwest part of the township, and was organized by Rev. W. H.
Millar in 1856. The membership at the first organization
exceeded one hundred, but at present is very much diminished in
[Page 485] -
THE INDEPENDENCE CORNER CHURCH.
is located in the northeast corner of
the township. The society was organized about 1840.
THE BAZETTA, OR KENNEDY CHURCH,
was established about
1840. Rev. D. A. Bone well is the present pastor.
THE RIDGE CHURCH.
church building was erected in 1842.
[Page 486] -
JAMES HERVEY POST.
WILLIAM B. KENNEDY.
[Page 487] -
NOTES OF SETTLEMENT.
LEBBEUS BEACH came from Hartland,
Connecticut, and settled on a farm in Hartford township in 1812.
He was born in the year of Independence—1776—and was married to
Hope Spencer (who was born same year) in June, 1799.
The children were—Harry, Seneca (deceased), Julia,
now Mrs. M. Scott, of Gustavus,and Laura, now Mrs.
Hulburt, of Ashtabula county. The family, with the
exception of Laura, he brought with him; he was also
accompanied by the aged father of his wife (Frederick) who
was eager for the conquests of the new country. He lived in
Hartford until 1855, eventually moving to Gustavus, where he lived
with his daughter Julia until 1859, when he died. He
was known as a farmer but held the office of justice of the peace
for twenty-four years.
DR. HARRY BEACH was born May 20,
1800, and was married to Mary Chew (born in 1805) in
1823. To them were born the following children: Emily, now
Mrs. Ephraim Post; Leonora, deceased;
Francis, of Meadville, Pennsylvania; Allison, of
Wisconsin; Curtland, member of company A, Forty-first Ohio
volunteer infantry, died at Nashville, Tennessee, in 1862. The
doctor was, as is seen by the above, a farmer's son, but was given
the advantage of the common school, of which he made the best use
and was fit to begin the study of medicine, which he did in the fall
of 1820, under Dr. Wilcox, of Hartford. There he
remained two years, after which he studied under Dr.
Fowler, of Brookfield, and commenced practice in the latter
place in 1824, continuing two years. He then settled in
Fowler, where he continued a successful practice for fifty years,
until now at the age of eighty years he has retired from active life
and lives with his daughter, Mrs. Post, in Cortland.
He is widely known for a life of great usefulness in his profession,
and also as the oldest living physician in Trumbull county.
MOSES COOPER POST was born in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, May 26, 1822, and came to Ohio with
his father when about five years of age. He lived on the farm
with his father until he was about twenty-one, when, May 28, 1843,
he was married to Emily C. Freer, who was born Apr. 26, 1823.
They are the parents of the following children: Olive
Cornelia, born Mar. 20, 1844, who was married to J. W.
Hathaway, and moved to Marietta, where she died; Harriet
Orissa (deceased), born Mar. 26, 1846; Orpha Amanda,
born Sept. 29, 1848, now Mrs. Burt Swager;
Wills Watson, Apr. 10, 1851; Ella Ophelia,
Aug. 6, 1854, now Mrs. Lewis Hutton, of
Bristol; Cora Estella, Aug. 16, 1857, now Mrs.
Homer Smith; Jennie E. (deceased), born July
22, 1860; Alta B., born May 21, 1864; and Candace E.,
born Mar. 13, 1867. Soon after his marriage Mr. Post
began life for himself, but with very little capital, in the milling
business, having built his first mill on Walnut creek. He is
now engaged with his brother Hervey in the milling business,
operating the only flour-mills in Bazetta. He was captain of
the Independent Rifle company that existed here in former years,
whose musters occurred twice in the spring and once in the fall.
His business relations have precluded his service in any public
office except that of town trustee, which he held two terms; was
elected to other offices, but for the above reasons he declined to
serve. By hard work, industry, and economy, he has arrived at
his present well-known position of affluence in this community, in
which he has spent the quiet, but busy years of his manhood.
EPHRAIM POST was born Nov. 13, 1828,
and was married to Orpha Hawley, who was born Feb. 14,
1826, and died Sept. 2, 1870. He was again married Sept. 11,
1872, to Emily (Beach) Trowbridge, who was born
Mar. 16, 1830. His children are Jay, born Oct. 7, 1856;
Viets C., born Oct. 25, 1858, now living in Warren; Loren E.,
born May 3, 1861; Harry S., born Aug. 28, 1864; Lizzie
May, born Nov. 5, 1867. Mrs. Emily
Trowbridge, present wife of Mr. Post, had a family
of four children, two now living: Charles A., born July 20,
1848, living in
[Page 488] -|
Fowler; Edward M., deceased, born Nov. 19, 1850;
Frank B., deceased, born Jan. 21, 1854; Nora, born Dec.
11, 1857, now Mrs. C. C. Craft. Mr. Post, with
whom the venerable Dr. Harry Beach (father of Mrs.
Post) now makes his home, was born on the Post
homestead farm, where he now lives, and where his youth
and manhood years have been spent, and where he row expects to
remain during life. He is a farmer by occupation, has held the
office of councilman of the village of Cortland, and he and his wife
are members of the Disciple church.
[Page 489] -
H. G. BACON
[Page 490] -
WILLIAM H. CLAWSON
CALVIN C. CLAWSON,
MARTINEUS E. FREER
[Page 491] -
JAMES ATKINSON, SR., was a son
of General Atkinson, of the Revolutionary war.
He settled in Bazetta township, on the west side of Mosquitocreek,
where he lived for a number of years, afterwards moving to the
western part of the State, where he died at the age of ninety-two.
His son James came with his father when only three years of
age. At about the age of fourteen he began work at the county
infirmary, where he continued under employment until 1852, when he
was made overseer of the institution. In 1852 he was married to
Elizabeth Weiss, who died in 1857 or 1858. They
were the parents of two children—Milton E., and Mary E.
He was again married, in 1870, to Lucy A. Fox, to whom were
born the following children: Charles W., James M., Millie W.,
Kittie, and Terry S. He was a farmer by occupation,
also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He died
in Champion township at the age of fifty-three.
MILTON EMON ATKINSON, M. D.,
was born Apr. 22, 1855, at the county infirmary, of which his
father was overseer. He was married May 7, 1878, to Jennie
E. Harsh, who was born in 1858. They are parents of two
children, the first having died in infancy, and Lena May.
He first at tended school at the Western Reserve seminary, after
which he began the study of medicine under Dr. D. B. Woods,
of Warren. He then began the regular course at Ann Arbor university,
Michigan, which was not quite completed when, at the death of his
father, he returned home and afterwards finished his studies at
Wooster. He located in his profession at Cortland in August,
1878, where he is now actively engaged in a successful and extensive
JOHN BRADFORD was born in Trumbull
county, Ohio, and settled on a farm between Cortland and Warren,
where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1853. He was
married to Jane Meek, and to them were born the
following children: William (deceased), James, Mary
Ann, now Mrs. Ross Wakeman, of Iowa;
Olive, now Mrs. H. K. Hulse, of Iowa; Elizabeth,
now Mrs. Napoleon Gretsinger, of Iowa. He was a
stone-mason by occupation, and a member of the Baptist church.
James Bradford was born Apr. 20, 1842, and was married
May 5, 1863, to Jennette Hulse. To them were
born the following children: William, Lucy, Rhoda, James, and
Rena. He was again married, to Mary Hulse,
and they now have one child, Clara. Mr.
Bradford was raised on the farm until about the age of sixteen
years, when he went to work at the carpenter trade with Thomas
Kennedy, working with him until he learned the trade. In
1866 he engaged for himself, and continued until 1878, when he
commenced the furniture business in Cortland. He began with a
capital of about $5,000. His trade has continued to increase,
and he is now operating a business of $2,500 per annum. He is
engaged in the general furniture trade on Market street, next door
east of the post-office, and is a member of the Independent Order of
CHARLES OLIVER, a native of
Germany, left home when about eleven years of age, and went on the
ocean as sailor. He afterwards rose to the position of mate,
and followed seafaring life for thirteen years. He married
when about twenty-five in New York, Mary Park, a
native of Ireland, and with whom he became acquainted during a trip
across the ocean. He came subsequently to Trumbull county, and
settled in Bazetta, where he and his wife are still living. He
continued his former occupation, being captain and mate on Lake Erie
for number of years. He has nine children living, as follows:
William, at Braceville center, born June, 1843, married
Zelia Dice and has two children, Jennie (Clark)
at Howland Springs, Maggie (Dice) in Braceville;
Mary (Kean) and Minnie (Lawrence) in
Carroll, Ohio; Frank in Bazetta, Emma, Ella,
and Nettie at home.
RETURN TO TABLE
OF CONTENTS >