| Vienna has a gently undulating
surface and a fertile soil, consisting of clayey loam with
some sand and gravel in places. Most of the land is
free from excessive moisture, and is well adapted to
agriculture and grazing. The drainage is by several
small water courses flowing toward all points of the
The township is thickly populated and contains a large
number of fine houses, large and well improved farms and
other evidences of the thrift and prosperity of its farmers.
The mineral resources of Vienna have been found most
valuable. A good quality of coal is found, and mining
has been carried on quite extensively from 1868 until very
recently. Quite a large mining village, which sprang
up eat of Vienna center, is now in a state of dilapidation,
partly deserted, showing plainly that the coal interest is
now on the wane, the best mines having been worked out.
Vienna center, a quiet and pretty country village, is
on the mail route from Warren to Sharon. The place
contains two churches, two hotels, four stores, a drug
store, and a book store, as well as shops of various kinds.
Brookfield station, on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
road, three miles east, is the nearest railroad station for
passengers. The Vienna branch of the New York,
Pennsylvania & Ohio railroad passes near the village, but
this road no longer runs passenger trains.
Vienna lies east of Howland township, north of Liberty,
and south of Fowler. Brookfield adjoins it upon the
east. Vienna is the fourth township in the second
The territory now
known as Brookfield and Vienna was originally owned by
Uriel Homes, Ephraim Root, and Timothy Burr, of
Connecticut. Mr. Holmes was principal agent,
and in 1798 came out with a surveying party to lay out the
farms. The part of the country chosen for the first
settlement was Vienna. After spending some time here
the party returned to the East, and in the spring of 1799
came again to Vienna bringing others with them, for the
purpose of settlement. Isaac Flower and
Dennis Palmer brought their families; no other families
came until 1802.
according to good authority, made a permanent settlement in
the year 1799. His second wife, the widow of Asa
Foote, lived to be one hundred years old, and was the
oldest person that ever died in the township. Dorothy
Gates, mother-in-law of Solomon Payne,
was the next oldest, and died at the age of ninety-nine.
Lavinia Flower, daughter of Isaac and
Bathsheba Flower, was the first white child born in
Vienna. She was born in 1801, and died in 1881.
She became Mrs. Steele and lived in
Painesville, Ohio. Isaac Flower died in
1813, at the age of fifty-seven.
FOOTE, step-son of Flower, came into this township
early, but settled in Fowler.
Of DENNIS PALMER but little is
known save that he was one of the surveying party in the
employ of Mr. Holmes. Among this party was a
young man named Samuel Hutchins who had been brought
up by Holmes. For his services rendered the
surveyors he was allowed to choose one hundred acres from
any part of the township. He selected land on the east
[PHOTO OF ICHABOD PAYNE]
[PHOTO OF MRS. BETSY J.
center road, three-fourths of a mile west of the place now
known as Payne's corners; this was probably the first
farm owned by any inhabitant of the township. In 1802
he married Freelove Flower, and settled upon his
land, where he lived until too old to labor; then moved to
Warren. His marriage was the first that took place in
1802 ISAAC WOODFORD
and family settled south
of the center on lot twenty-five. This made the third
family in Vienna. They came from Connecticut by way of
Pittsburg with ox teams and the old Yankee ox-cart, and the
greater part of the way from Youngstown to Vienna, they were
obliged to cut their way through the woods. Deacon
Woodford, as he was generally called, was a pious,
God-fearing man. At the age of twenty-four he united
with the church in his native town, and throughout his life
adhered to the motto, "As for me and my house, we will serve
the Lord." After his arrival in the new settlement, he
commenced holding regular religious services on the Sabbath.
Up to this time there had been no religious meetings of any
kind. He not unfrequently was the only one to take the
lead in the meetings and the Sabbath-school. He was
also instrumental in forming the Presbyterian church of
Vienna. Deacon Woodford died at the age of
The year 1802 also brought from Connecticut the
families of Joel and Isaac Humason, Simeon Wheeler, Seth
Bartholomew, and Sylvester Woodford. About
the same time came Samuel Clinton, who located near
the center. Joel and Isaac Humason settled on
the farms now owned by George Patterson and Henry
Fowler; Simeon Wheeler on the I. B. Payne farm;
Woodford on the George Chamberlain farm; and
Bartholomew on the Niles road. Some of these
settlers had been in the township working upon their lands
and preparing homes for their families every summer from
1798 until the time of their removal.
In 1803 or 1804 SAMUEL LOWREY
and SAMUEL LOWERY, Jr., settled on the Rogers farm
west of the center. Other settlers of about the same
period were Joseph and Abiel Bartholomew, Isaac Scott,
William Clinton, and Calvin Munson. In 1805
these were followed by John Clark, Shelden Scofield,
Andrew, Hugh, and James Mackey, William Lafferty
and his son John, Chauncy Hickox, and J. J.
Truesdell. In 1807 Epenetus Rogers
(one of the original surveying party) and Jesse Munson
arrived. Few came in the years 1808-9-10. In
1811 Amasa Scoville and Job and Noah
DARIUS WOODFORD, who located on lot ten, a younger
brother of Isaac Woodford, came to the township about
the year 1804, and lived until he attained the ripe old age
of eighty eight years. He was among those who came in
those very early days from Connecticut to Vienna, and by
whose industry and energy the forests were converted into
fruitful fields and comfortable homes, and a foundation laid
for the present prosperity we find in all parts of the
township. Mr. Woodford was one of the earliest
temperance advocates in the township, and certainly this
fact is worthy of record, for he lived when the times
demanded for every half day of log-rolling or barn raising a
good quantity of whiskey. Those early pioneers were
very friendly, and during the first years of the settlement
liberally assisted each other in erecting houses, barns,
stables. The people would turn out en masse and in a
single day would perform wonders. It has been stated
in a reminiscence given by I. B. Payne that when
Samuel Hutchins' barn was struck by lightning the
neighbors for quite a distance turned out, hewed the timber
for another, framed it, raised the barn, put on the roof and
siding, shaving the shingles (from the tree) finishing it
all up and hauling in a load of hay in a single day.
The barn was 28 x 38 feet and is still standing and in good
repair. He says a barn for Mr. Giddings and a
house for Jared Spencer were built in the same way,
one day for each building. These were in the west part
of Brookfield township, which was then part of Vienna.
These wholes-souled men, generous to a fault, needed
restraining influences of good men like the Woodfords
to establish Christian principles for the coming generation.
JAMES J. TRUESDELL, a native of Connecticut, came to
the township in 1805, and settled in the southwestern part,
when he died in the year 1852. His was of the earliest
families who came to the township. He was a prominent
man of his day, and served as justice of the peace in all
about eighteen years.
His son, Harry Truesdell, now residing a short
distance north of Vienna center, is a representative of
former times, having been born the 20th of August in the
year 1799, and is now in the eighty-third year of age.
In 1834 he was married to Miss Emeline Woodford, the
oldest living representative of Deacon Woodford, and
a relative of Governor Woodford of Connecticut.
Mr. Truesdell served as justice of the peace
twenty-one years between 1842 and 1872.
Mr. and Mrs. Truesdell are in the enjoyment of
remarkable health and strength of mind for people of their
age. They possess powers of recollection to a
remarkable degree, and have been useful members of society
in their long earthly sojourn in his land.
The foregoing list gives the names of those early
settlers who came at a time when the township was an
unbroken forest, abounding in all kinds of game - bear,
wolves, deer, turkeys, etc. - from which the pioneers were
supplied with all the meat they had. Rude cabins of
logs were put up, covered with bark, greased paper serving
in place of window glass. Huge chimneys constructed of
sticks and mortar, with a fire-place, served as a place to
cook their frugal means and to warm them, the light of the
fire serving to light the whole cabin. Cabins being
erected, the next ting was to clear some land, and they went
at it with a will. The forest began to melt away
before the woodman's ax and let the sun shine in the around
the cabins. Corn was planted but coons, squirrels, and
other animals shared with the settlers, leaving but little
oftentimes for the harvest. Wheat was sown afterwards
and with better success, but the one great difficulty with a
new comers was the need of a mill where wheat could be
ground. The most convenient one in the whole country
was at Beaver, Pennsylvania, and that was fifty miles away.
The little settlement would send one of their number with an
ox cart loaded with wheat made up by the different families,
each sending a little, to be ground. This trip usually
took about a week's time, but the journey was so long,
tedious, and irksome, that the hand mill was resorted to.
This mill was simply a large, mortar into which the grain
was put and pounded with a large pestle until fine enough
for use. The block was cut form some huge tree, and
then by burning and cutting away the center a large hole was
made. The pestle was made from a sapling or piece of
timber. The grain, after being pounded fine enough for
cooking purposes, needed seasoning to render it palatable.
For salt the settlers had to go to the salt springs in
Weathersfield township with their kettles, and boil salt for
a week or ten days, and then get but little.
About the year 1814
STEWART, from Center county, Pennsylvania, purchased
quite a large tract of land in the southeast corner of the
township and settled there with quite a large family.
His descendants still living on the same lands are now quite
The settlement had received a serious back-set during
the war with Great Britain, but after its conclusion many
families arrived who, after hard labor, gained pleasant
homes and prosperity.
was elected, and qualified on the 26th day of August the
were quite numerous, through never
troublesome, in the early years of the settlement. The
forests lying between the Mahoning and Shenango river were
favorite hunting-grounds with them. They left just
before the war, and few, if any, ever returned.
SOLDIERS OF THE WAR OF
who left their homes in Vienna to serve in the War of 1812
were, as far as known -
Captain, Asa Hutchins;
privates, Isaac, Humason, Chauncy Alderman,
William Bartholomew, John Lafferty, Abijah T. Bolton, Isaac
Woodford, Samuel Gleason, and probably some others.
birth and the first marriage have already been mentioned.
The first death was that of Abiel Bartholomew,
who was killed by a falling tree in January, 1805.
The first saw-mill was built by Samuel Lowery
near the southwest corner of the township on Squaw creek.
The first store was opened in 1820, by Isaac Powers,
at the center.
The first law-suit was tried before Squire Clinton
in 1806. A wife entered complaint against her husband
for maltreatment. Whiskey was the cause of the
The first orchard was set out by Simeon Wheeler
on the I. B. Payne farm. Some of the trees are
now fifty feet high and more than two feet in diameter.
Fifty-six bushels of apples have been picked from a single
The first frame building, a barn, was erected by
Joel Humason, and the second frame barn by Simeon
Wheeler. Both are still standing Isaac Humason's
frame house is said to have been the first erected in the
THE FIRST SCHOOLS.
The first school
was taught a mile south of the centre in the summer of 1805,
by Miss Tamar Bartholomew. It is stated that a
hog-pen was temporarily used as a school-house.
this may be, it is certain that the building afterwards
became a hog-pen. The following winter taught school
in a log cabin on the farm of Samuel Clinton.
The first school house built in
the township was a frame building 20x26 feet, erected at the
centre of 1806. Andrews Bushnell, of Hartford,
taught a school in that house the following winter, it being
the only school in the township. Now the township has
eleven schools, all well filled with pupils.
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
THE METHODIST CHURCH.
MRS. ELIZA HUMASON
about 1850. The society for many years has been large,
strong, and flourishing.
THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.
old cemetery at the center is the resting-place of many of
the pioneers of Vienna. Root and Holmes, proprietors
of the land of the township, donated to the Presbyterian
church two acres to be used as a burial-place. The
remains of Abiel Bartholomew were the first buried in
this cemetery. His death occurred in 1805.
Common flag-stone was the material used for the first
head-stones. Rude lettering and still ruder attempts
at ornamentation can still be seen upon some of these old
stones, but the devastating hand of time has already
rendered many inscriptions illegible. Costly monuments
of polished marble and granite now stand side by side with
these humbler testimonials of respect to the memory of those
who for long years have been resting here- their generous
toil and life's task completed.
In 1872 the
old ground being nearly all filled, it was thought advisable
to enlarge the size of the yard, and an additional acre of
ground was according purchased.
Trumbull lodge No. 532, Independent Order pf Odd Fellows,
Vienna, Ohio, was instituted July 24, 1872, with the
following charter members: R. H. Law, J. L. Russell, H.
H. Carey, J. B. McNaughton, H. Bittaker, George Young, 1.
Horn, W. Crollman, David Wilson, John P. Rosser, I. A. Beggs,
John Bowen, A. C. Burnett, and E. E. Folsom.
The first officers were I. A. Beggs, N. G.; J. B.
McNaughton, V. G.; D. H. Wilson, secretary; J.
L. Wilson, permanent secretary; and H. H. Carey,
treasurer. The number who have been initiated as
members of the lodge since its formation up to March,
1882, is one hundred and five. Fifteen or twenty have
also been admitted by card. The number of members in
good standing is sixty-two.
ROYAL TEMPLARS OF TEMPERANCE.
TEMPLE OF HONOR.
MANUFACTURE OF RAKES.
ICHABOD B. PAYNE
JAMES J. AND ELIZA HUMASON.
HARRY TRUESDELL was born
in Connecticut in 1799, and came with his father, J. J.
Truesdell, to Trumbull county in 1805, locating in
Vienna township; married Miss Emaline
Woodford in 1834. No children. Mr.
Truesdell served as justice of the peace for twenty-one
years; township clerk several years. Mr.
Truesdell is excelled by few in correct business habits.
TREAT came from Milford, Connecticut, where he was
born in 1795, to Trumbull county, in 1818, locating where
Mr. Alexander Stewart now resides, in
Vienna township. He married Miss Mary
Humason in 1820. The names of their children are
as follows: Elizabeth A. Bushnell, residing in
Johnston township; Sidney C., residing in Hazelton;
G. A., residing in Vienna township, one died in
infancy; Mary E., died in 1865; Julius,
died in 1858. Mr. Treat is now one of the
oldest and most respected men in Vienna, having been a
consistent member of the Presbyterian church since 1852.
H. HUMASON, born in Vienna in 1839,
married Miss Juliette A. Betts, and has five
children—Martha, at home; James H., Charles,
John, and Frank. Three died young.
Mr. Humason is proprietor of the rake factory
which was established in 1879, and employs from ten to
fifteen hands; manufactured in 1880 about three thousand
rakes. Present capacity about four thousand per annum.
The rake manufactured by the Vienna Rake company is of
superior quality and excellent finish, being manufactured
from the best of slack timber. One of the most
important features of this rake is the substitute of the
steel spring by which the rake is completely under the
control of the operator.
near New Haven, Connecticut, in 1769. He came to
Vienna township, Trumbull county, in September, 1804,
locating on the farm now owned by his son Randil.
He married Miss Sarah Hungelford.
The fruits of this union were five children— Randil,
residing in Vienna township; Rillson, dead; Lucy
Scoville, dead; Diadamia Reader,
residing in Ashtabula county; Susanna Newbern,
residing in Iowa. Randil Munson married
Miss Lucinda Loveland in 1819. They have four
children living—H. B., in Wisconsin; Erpi,
residing in Bazetta township; H. N., in Mecca
township; Charles, died in the army; and A. C. Mr.
Munson has always been a farmer, and has worked on
the farm where he now resides, ever since his first
settlement in the county. He is the oldest settler
(1881) now living in Vienna township.
R. BARTHOLOMEW, born Aug.
13, 1831, in Vienna township, removed with his father to
Cuyahoga county, when three years of age, where he remained
until he was twenty-two years old, when he returned to
Warren, where he resided fifteen years; returned again to
Cleveland, where he was engaged in contracting about seven
years, whence he returned to Vienna township, where he now
resides. He married Miss Phila E. Truesdell,
1854. They have eight children: Ida A. Gillson,
resides in Chicago; C. J., in Vienna; Mary E.
Wemberg, Chicago; Milton O., William S.,
Frank P., Susan M., Eugene E., at home.
ISAAC WOODFORD, SR.,
came from Connecticut to Trumbull county in 1802, locating
on the farm now owned by Albert Powers, Vienna
township. He married Miss S. Cowles.
There were twelve children; ten grew to maturity.
Mr. Woodford was elder of the Presbyterian church
from the time of its organization. His son Isaac
married Miss Phebe E. Merritt. The names of
their children are as follows: Frank, residing in
Kansas; Jerusha M. Sanford, resides in Vienna;
Isaac W., in Vienna; Lovilla M. Struble, dead;
Eliza and Martha E. died young. Mr.
Wood ford has always been a farmer, having resided on
the same farm forty-eight years.
TIMOTHY NORTON came
from near Hartford, Connecticut, in 1819, locating in Vienna
township. He married Annie Humason.
They had eight children; six grew to maturity—Mrs. H.
Greenwood, residing in Vienna township; Mrs.
Nancy Greenwood, in Pennsylvania; Merit,
MERIT NORTON, born in
Trumbull county in 1822, married, first, Diadamia
Cratsley. Their children are: Edson,
residing in Pennsylvania; Luther, in Akron;
Rosaline Lampson, in Pierpoint, Ohio; Celestia Cowan,
in Cortland; Emerson, at home; Allie, at home.
Mr. Norton married for his second wife Mrs. Betsey
Wilson; no children. Mr. Norton has never
been an aspirant for office, preferring the quiet and
independent life of a farmer. He has resided on the
same farm twenty-nine years. His son Charlie
was accidentally shot and killed Aug. 27, 1879.
GREENWOOD came from Massachusetts in 1813, locating
where his son, Nathaniel C., now resides. He
married Sarah Webster. They had eleven children, six
only living: Nathaniel C., residing in Vienna
township; Harriet, in Fowler; Morgan, in
Fowler; Betsey, in Vienna; Oliver died in
Indiana in 1879; Frank died in Indiana in 1880; the
other children died young. Nathaniel C. Greenwood
was born in Massachusetts in 1809. He married Miss
Ladora A. Wright in 1833. They had four children,
as follow: Leander, residing in Fowler; Hiram,
in Howland; Holmes, in Vienna; Ellen Rogers,
in Vienna. Mr. Greenwood followed the
occupation of a gunsmith over five years. He is now
engaged in farming.
ANDREW MACKEY, a native of
Ireland, came into Trumbull county in 1805. He married
Miss Mary Murray. They had six children, none
of whom are now living. Andrew Mackey,
Jr., was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in
1779. He married Miss Jane Scott.
They had seven children, six of whom are living, viz:
Mary, residing on the old homestead; James;
John died in 1853, aged twenty-eight years; Eleanor
Munson, residing in Vienna; Robert, residing
in Howland; A. H. residing in Vienna; Elizabeth,
residing in Vienna. Mr. Mackey was one
of the most enterprising farmers of Vienna township, having
two hundred and twenty-five acres of land under cultivation
at the time of his death.
ABRAHAM WARTMAN was born
in Pennsylvania in 1768 and came to Vienna in 1827, locating
on the farm now owned by his son Solomon. He
married Miss Ann M. Rhodes. They had eleven
children, six of whom are living, viz: Catherine
Hake, residing in Missouri; Rebecca Hake,
residing in Vienna; Solomon, residing in Vienna;
Sarah Shaffer, residing in Howland; Elizabeth
Wehrenberger, residing in Lordstown; Rachael
Hake, residing in Missouri; Marie Hake died in
1877; Jonathan, Abraham, Matthias, and
Henry, are also dead. Solomon Wartman
married Miss Louisa L. Whitten in 1839, September
27th. Five of their children are living: Cline,
residing in Vienna; Elizabeth A. Hulse resides in
Illinois; Solomon resides in Vienna; Mary A.
is at home; Louisa L., Lucy, and James are
dead. Mr. Wartman is a tanner by trade, having
learned the trade from his father, but is now engaged in
farming. He pays special attention to stock raising,
dealing principally in fine stock, especially fine wooled
sheep. He is also proprietor of the old saw-mill,
which is located near his home.
came from Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1808, into
Vienna township. He married Miss Amelia
Ball, by whom he has twelve children. The names of
those living are Harvey, residing in Summit county;
Robert, residing in Iowa; John, residing in
Hartford township; Archie, residing in Fowler
township; Emily A. married Edwin Griffin
in 1850, has two children, and lives in Vienna township;
Erastus and Augusta A. at home. Mr.
Griffin was a natural mechanic, being able to make
anything in wood and iron. He died in 1860, aged
twenty-nine years. He was a man of remarkably even
temper, never known to be thrown off his guard.
was born on
Long Island in 1788, came to Trumbull county in 1812 and
settled in Vienna township. He was drafted from
Vienna in the War of 1812 and served in that war. He
carried on a tannery in Vienna, also shoemaking in
connection with farming. Later in his life he
conducted a hotel at Vienna. After the War of 1812 he
married Lydia Lowry and raised a family of two
daughters and six sons all of whom are living. He
lived to the advanced age of ninety-three, dying in 1881.
His son, Royal L. Rogers, was born in Vienna,
Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan. 9, 1820. With his brother
he began keeping hotel, and in 1834 was married to
Caroline, daughter of Samuel Wise, an
early settler in Youngstown, where Mrs. Rogers
was born Jan. 29, 1827. After marriage he continued in
the hotel business and for sixteen years was located at
Johnson centre. He resided in Ashtabula county for two
years. In the spring of 1874 he came to Warren where
he now resides. He is the owner of a large farm in
Ashtabula county and another in Weathersfield, Trumbull
county. He is the father of three children,
Amarillis, James C., with his father in business,
and Alley R., now a student at Oberlin College.
END OF CHAPTER XIV - VIENNA TWP.
TABLE OF CONTENTS >