In 1806 the people residing in range two (south) and town three,
by petition to the proper authorities gained their Liberty, and
the land situated south of Vienna, with Hubbard on the east,
Mahoning county south, and Weathersfield west was organized as a
township, taking the name of Liberty.
The north part of the township is generally level; the
east and southeast rolling and more broken between Church Hill
and Girard. In the north the soil is a heavy clay, but
toward the east it is more of a gravel or sandy nature, and the
south is generally of clay. The usual farm products are
produced here with good average yield with other sections of the
county. Coal is the chief production, and this is strictly
a mining region, the chief industry being in this line. It
was first discovered and the first mine was opened in 1860 on
the farm of Alexander McCleery. The land was leased
by one Strain, from Mr. Cleery, and operations were
commended. The first drilling was made without success;
another start was made and a five foot vein was struck which was
worked out, but as it did not prove to be profitable the lease
was sold. Governor Tod afterward visited the mine,
which was obstructed by "horse-backs." He made some effort
to encourage the work by advising the owners to work around the
obstructions, but the mine was abandoned.
About 1865-65 the Church Hill Coal company was formed
and opened a bank at the village, which has been successfully
The Briar Hill company afterwards opened Kline coal
bank in 1868, which is also in successful operation.
The Garfield bank, on Wright's farm, the Hancock
bank, on the farm of Calvin Denison, and Bank No. 9, have
all been opened recently.
The Mahoning river flows across the southwest corner of
the township, into which the land in the northwest part is
drained by Squaw run. The western part is drained by Crab
creek and its tributaries. The Lake Shore & Michigan
Southern and the Atlantic & Great Western railroads extend
across the southeast corner, and the latter has a branch, which
with the Ashtabula, Youngstown & Pittsburg and Painesville &
Youngstown railroads extends across the southwest.
It is not known with absolute certainty who was the first
settler in Liberty. The late Samuel Dennison is
authority for the statement that Jacob Swager was the
first, and as Mr. Dennison was about sixteen years of age
when he came with his father in 1801, his recollections are
entitled to great credit. Robert Stewart, now
living in Brookfield, who came with his father in 1800, and was
nine years old, thinks that Henry Swager, a cousin of
Jacob's, was the first to commence the subjection of the
wilderness of old Liberty.
Valentine Stull came in 1799, and from his
grandson, John E. Stull, it is learned that when his
grandfather came to Liberty there were but four families here,
and that Henry Swager was one of them, and must have been
here as early as 1798.
came alone in 1799, and
purchased a half section of land, lots eleven and twelve, to
which he removed his family from Washington county,
Pennsylvania, in 1800.
Mr. Swager settled on what was
known afterwards as the Henry Ricard farm, immediately
west of Church Hill, on the east and west center road, on the
northeast corner of lot number eight. He lived here for
several years, when he sold to Jacob Boyd and purchased a
farm of one hundred acres in the southeast part of the township,
where he lived until the age of over ninety-seven, when he died.
He was a great hunter, and many were the bears, deer, wild
turkeys, and other game that fell victims to the unerring aim of
Liberty's pioneer marksman.
James Matthews came in 1798, and settled in the
southwest part of the township on lot number one, where he
continued to reside until 1825, when he removed to Warren
township. Mr. Williams kept the first public house
in early days, and also erected and operated the first
distillery in the township.
came in 1798, and settled about
one-half mile from Girard toward Church Hill.
emigrated from Virginia in 1802,
and settled on the northwest part of lot nineteen, the same lot
on which his grandson, James Nelson, died.
James Ramsey removed from Lancaster county,
Pennsylvania, in 1800, and settled on lot number nine, south of
Mr. Stull, and known afterwards as the George Herring
farm. George Campbell, a native of Ireland, but
for some years a resident of Lancaster county, Pennsylvania,
came to Liberty as early as 1800-1, and settled on the north
part of lot number seven, where he lived until his death in
1847. He was the father of eight sons and six daughters,
all of whom lived until mature age. About this same time
James Applegate came and settled on lot number five in
the southeast part of the township, on the west side of the road
where William Watson now lives, and who for some unknown
reason committed suicide by hanging himself.
John Thorn, whose wife was a sister of James
Matthews, came soon after his brother-in-law, and bought a
lot of forty acres on the north side of the Mahoning river, on
which he built a tannery. He was the father of James
Thorn, who afterwards became a noted teacher in Liberty and
Youngstown. It is related of this teacher that when a
child he was twice rescued by his mother from drowning in the
vats of his father's tannery, near which their dwelling was
William Stewart came from Huntingdon county,
Pennsylvania, when his son, Robert was nine years
old, and cut his way through the trackless wilds of Liberty from
Youngstown and settled where John B. McMurry now lives.
They arrived in time of heavy rain and flood and were compelled
to live in their wagons for some time.
Some time after their buildings were erected, the
forest around them was so dense, the roads unbroken, the places
of human habitation so few, and the marks of civilization yet so
undefined that when any of the family were out at night but a
little way from the cabins they would soon become lost and their
cries would be answered by those in the house rapping on the
roof for signals.
William Stewart's father settled north of Sodom
in very early times.
John and Abram Nelson
came from Virginia about
1804 and settled in the northwest part of the township - lot
twenty-one - where Abram Storms now lives, and Abram
Nelson built his cabin where Samuel Beemer now lives.
Samuel Dennison settled north of William
Sewart on lot number fifteen, west part.
Neil McMullen settled near the farm residence of
the late James Clark, west of Stewart.
The marriage of
William McCombs, of Poland, to a
sister of John Nelson, was (as is believed) the first
wedding in Liberty.
James Nelson, brother of Abram and
John, was accidentally killed by the fall of a tree while
cutting a road from Painesville to Warren, and on the same day
of his death Abram was engaged at work in the valley of
Squaw creek, in Liberty, and he has often related that at this
time he heard the voice of his brother James calling his
name - Abram - three times in succession, when he left
his work and went to his house expecting to find his brother
James there, and was astonished to find that he had not been
there. In a few days the news came of the accident that
ended his brother's life, which happened on the day and hour
that the voice was heard by Abram in the valley.
This incident is sufficiently authenticated by undoubted
authority and is here recorded for either an item of history or
an illustration of wonderful hallucination.
Andrew Boyd came from Huntingdon county,
Pennsylvania, and settled about one-half mile east of Church
Hill, and started a tannery on the north side of the road,
opposite the present residence of Mr. Leslie, which he
operated about nine years.
James Anderson, a native of Ireland, removed
with his family from Chester county, Pennsylvania, about 1804,
and settled on the farm adjoining Valentine Stull on the
north, where he lived until his death, in 1848.
William McClellan came with his family from
Greene county, Pennsylvania, in 1805, and settled on land in
lots numbers seven and eight, where he lived until 1843, when
his decease occurred.
Nehemiah Scott came form Long Island in 1805 and
made a settlement west of the present residence of Peter
Kline, in a log cabin. He was a hatter by trade and
carried on his trade at his shop, about one-fourth mile from the
Robert Walker came in 1807-8 and settled near
the present residence of Homer Walker, where he kept
store until he moved to the center. His son, Dr. Robert
H. Walker, kept the first store at Church Hill in 1832-33.
These were the early settlers of Liberty, or as many of
them of whom anything can now be found. Others there may
have been and doubtless were, but the memory of their
names with the records of their history have passed into the
grave with them, save what they may have left written not with
the pen, but in the cleared farms and the early planted germs of
civilization now blooming in full fruition in Liberty.
Many of their graves are still kept green in the old burial
grounds at Church Hill. Some of them in after years bade
adieu to the scenes of early conflicts of pioneer life and found
homes else where. While time has crept on and changes have
come, early footprints have long since been worn away, and the
new generations are fast covering them deeper and deeper as the
years bring wealth and prosperity. The log cabins have
given way to many fine residences and beautiful rural homes, and
the lightning express dashes over the blazed route of the
pioneer. Mines of wealth that slumbered beneath the feet
of the hunters and axmen of 1798 now give forth their hidden
treasures to the giant power of steam and the cities of swarthy
workmen gathered about the deepening tunnels.
located near the central part of the township, and derived its
name from the eminence on which it stands and the location of
the church at this point. The name was first selected for
the post-office. Since then the name seems to have been
very appropriately chosen, as there are now five churches
located here: Old-school Presbyterian, Methodist
Episcopal, Welch Methodist, Welch Baptist, and Welch Independent
- the three latter are of recent origin. The village now
has a union school, one dry goods store, drug store, book store,
barber shop, wagon shop, blacksmith shop, shoemaker shop, ten
saloons, and one hotel. Through the saloons outnumber the
churches two to one yet the force and influence of the latter
are amply strong, and the community of Church Hill, from all
appearances, is a quiet and pleasant neighborhood.
The post-office was established in 1833, and Matthew
Walker was the postmaster. The office was first known
as Liberty, but the official department at Washington, District
of Columbia, sent back word that there was another office by
that name. The Presbyterian church was then in course of
erection, and as the location is on something of an elevation
Church Hill was suggested and accepted.
The pioneer religious organization of Liberty was effected by
the Associate Presbyterian congregation. The history of
this congregation begins with the early records of Liberty
township, and indeed is one of the oldest organizations in this
part of the Western Reserve. The last pastor, David
Goodwillie, D. D., having voluntarily resigned his pastorate
of fifty years in the year 1875, is now living in Girard, and
kindly furnished the following history of the congregation:
About the beginning of the present century a number of families
located in this neighborhood while as yet it was an unbroken
forest. Among these were William, James, Joseph, John,
David, and Robert Stewart, from Marsh creek, Adams
county, Pennsylvania. They were members of the Associate
Church. They settled in the northwest part of Coitsville
and the southeast part of Hubbard. James Davidson,
from Ireland, settled in the east part of Youngstown; James
Applegate, from the Forks of the Youghiogheny, Pennsylvania,
John Denison, from Washington county, Pennsylvania, and
Alexander McCleery, from Ireland, in the east part of
Liberty, and Samuel Ferguson, from Ireland, William
Ralston, from Scotland, John Ramsey, from Washington
county, Pennsylvania, and William McKinley, from
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in the west part.
These men and their families did not leave their
religion behind them when they came to this wilderness, but in
their log cabins remembered the Lord God of their fathers, and
in 1803-1804 they invited Rev. James Duncan, pastor of
the Associate Congregations of Mahoning, Little Beaver, and
Brush Run, to preach for them occasionally, which he accordingly
did with great encouragement, holding the meeting in the log
cabins, and in the woods.
In the year 1804 he organized in congregation in
Poland, and during the same time preached one third of the time
in Liberty, where in the (PAGE 433)
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH, CHURCH HILL.
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD SCHOOL)
The settlement about the present village of Girard was later
than the general settlement of the township, and was no doubt
first made near the early mills located on the river.
Special interests began to center here more extensively on the
construction of the old Pennsylvania & Ohio canal, from Girard
to Niles, in 1837.
About this time the original Girard plat was made by a
company formed at Warren, among whom was Governor David Tod.
Since then many additions have been made, principally along
the lines of the railroads and bounded on the east by the State
road. The Hartzell plat lies immediately north of
the old Girard plat; north of this is the Stambaugh and
Bush plats. The Osborn plat lies immediately
south and Morris plat south of this. Between the
latter and the Mahoning river Arms, Morris, and Tod
made an additional plat, and across the river is Rayen's
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH (GIRARD)
The first society of the
Methodist Episcopal church at Girard was organized by Rev.
Dillon Prosser in 1843. It consisted of Peter,
Hannah, and Mary Carlton, Mary and Mrs.
Hollingsworth, Abigail Osborn, Betsey McLean, and Samuel
McMillan - the latter was appointed class-leader. The
place of worship was a log school-house built on the ground now
occupied by the residence of Obadiah Sheadle. Soon
afterward they removed to a room in the store of Mr.
Hollingsworth, afterwards the residence of George Spray,
were services were held until the completion of the new frame
school-house in which the meetings were then held. In
1852, after a great struggle to secure the necessary funds, a
small chapel of very plain style was built without steeple,
belfry or other mark to distinguish it from the surrounding
buildings, except, perhaps, the two doors in front and windows
This was their home for twenty-seven years. The
following have served this congregation: Dillon Prosser
(1843), Ira Norris and Allen Foutz (1844), W.
F. Day (1845), A. Norton, and J. L. Holmes
(1846), A. Keller and S. Hubbard (1847), A.
Keller and H. Kellogg (1848), W. N. Reno
(1849), A. Reeves and W. N. Reno (1850), D. C.
Wright and J. H. Vance (1851), J. H. Vance
(1852), J. W. Weldon (1853), S. K. Paden (1854),
N. C. Brown (1855), S. Heard (1856-57), J. W.
Hill (1858-59), R. M. Bear (1860), E. Wade
(1861-62), F. Vernon (1863), W. Hays (1864-65),
J. H. Vance (1866-67), L. W. Ely (1868-69), W. A.
Clark (1870), T. Guy (1871-73), C. T. Kingsbury
(1874-76), J. H. Staratt (1877-80), and Thomas
McCleary, the present incumbent. The present house was
dedicated Jan. 18, 1880, by Rev. C. H. Payne, president
of the Ohio Wesleyan university, from II Chronicles, vi., 18,
"But will God in very deed dwell with men on the earth?"
This edifice is of Gothic style, with main audience room 40 x 50
feet, with transepts, right, left, and in front, 10 x 28 feet,
cut off on the inside by folding doors, which throw all the
rooms together when required, with a seating capacity of four
hundred and costing about $4,500. The total indebtedness
was discharged at the dedication exercises, and the building is
certainly a fit temple for the purpose to which it is dedicated.
THE DISCIPLES CHURCH (GIRARD)
The first meetings of this denomination were held in the school
hall, and among the ministers who preached during that time were
Walter Hayden, Gideon Applegate, Orin Higgins, and
others. The organization was effected February 5, 1867, by
Orin Gates, who was sent by the missionary society of the
church for that purpose. The original officials were
Charles C. Fowler, James Shannon, and Ambrose Mason,
elders; William Shannon, Laura Gilbert, Alice Harper,
Louisa D. Fowler, Nancy Reel, Elizabeth Reed, Malinda and
Minerva Phillips, Elizabeth Stanbaugh, Cyhthia Young, Collins
Atwood, Elizabeth Gantholtz, and Florence McLain.
The present number of members is about sixty. The
present church building was erected in 1871 at the time of
Rev. N. N. Bartlett's ministry, and was constructed by
William and James Shannon and John Reed,
building committee, and Charles Fowler, contractor and
carpenter. Among the ministers who have served this
congregation from time to time were Henrey S. Hanselman, N.
N. Bartlett, and S. S> Bartlett. The society is
now in a good, prosperous condition, with a Sabbath-school of
about fifty members. The present officials are James
Shannon, Alanson Miller, and C. H. Stanbaugh, elders;
William Wallace, and Frederick Coonly, deacons,
and A. Wayne Kennedy, treasurer.
APOSTOLIC CHRISTIAN ASSEMBLY.
The society was organized in 1878 by Rev. J. Bollinger,
who preached until last year, when he was succeeded by Rev.
Meetings of this denomination had been held
previous to the organization at the residence of William Ludt,
in Girard; and the first minister of this denomination was
Rev. John Bakody. The original members were:
Mr. and Mrs. William Ludt, Charles and Mrs. Schenoenfeld,
and Mrs. Mary Fachield The present beautiful little
church at Girard was built in the year above mentioned at a cost
The society now numbers about fifty members, and is in
a general state of prosperity, having regular services with the
expectation of soon organizing a Sabbath-school. The
society is composed of Germans who are wholly orthodox in their
belief; and their efforts to maintain a church of their own
people is commendable, and should be successful.
THE LUTHERAN CHURCH (GERMAN.)
The building in which this society holds services at present, is
situated on the State road about one-half mile north of Girard.
The first house built by this society was a log building, and
was situated on the site of the present church. The
present hose was erected in 1833; and among the early members of
the church were Henry Barnhisel, Peter Reel, George Hood,
Jacob Reel, and others. Among the ministers who
have served this society were Rev. Morris Smith, Rev. Hess,
Rev. Baker, Rev. Paultzgrow. The membership now
numbers about forty, and services are held regularly at the
above place, under the present ministry of Rev. Meisner.
The cemetery grounds adjoining belong to the church.
THE GIRARD UNION SCHOOL.
The general movement for improvement of the educational
facilities at Girard was begun about 1860. On March 12,
1861, the local directors of school district number two, Liberty
township, namely, J. C. Allison, Abner Osborn, and
Henry Barnheisel, with a committee appointed by the people
consisting of William Johnson, Edward Ray, Martin Houston,
Abner Rush and H. P. Gilbert, met together for
the consideration of a plan for the erection of a suitable
school building. Abner Rush was appointed treasurer
and clerk for the purpose of effecting this object. The
present commodious brick building was then soon erected and
completed at a cost of about $21,000, when Hugh Caldwell,
now of Cleveland, Ohio, was first engaged as principal. In
September, 1870, the present principal, A. Wayne Kennedy,
took charge of the school with three assistants, and has
continued in charge since with commendable success, the school
increasing until now there are seven apartments with the
following assistants: Miss Kit McGlarthery, Lara S.
Schaeffer, Lizzie Kennedy, Della V. Reed, Mary E. Walker,
and Louise M. Hauser. The whole number in the
school is now three hundred and three. During the
superintendency of Mrs. Kennedy the following persons
have been graduated from this school, namely: Charles Allison
(engineer), William Lotze (telegraph operator),
Evan Jones, and Ella Bowman. Frank E. Buntz,
was called away from his class just before graduation to enter
the naval school at Annapolis, Maryland.
The curriculum of the school embraces philosophy,
geometry, astronomy, and various higher branches of science and
mathematics, and the school is now in the zenith of prosperity,
and every indication bespeaks success. The building is
conveniently and pleasantly located, and both in external
appearance and the design for which it was built is a pride and
honor to the people of Girard.
COURT LILY OF GIRARD NO. 6625.
This court of the Ancient Order of Foresters was organized Jan.
31, 1880, when the following officials were elected: D. J.
Woodford, C. R.; John Bevan, sub-C. R.; Morgan
Thomas, F. S.; Morgan L. Jones, R. S.; Benjamin
Parry, treasurer; William Moss, senior woodward;
John Phillips, junior woodward; John Jinkins, senior
beadle; L. D. Jones, junior beadle. The charter
members were T. W. D. Jones, D. J. Woodford, and L. D.
Jones. The society makes allowance of $5 per week in
cases of sickness; also appointing attendants in cases of
necessity. At this time it has a membership of
twenty-eight, and meets every alternate Saturday night in Odd
AMALGAMATED ASSOCIATION OF
IRON AND STEEL WORKERS.
Shiloh lodge of Ohio No. 16, was organized Aug. 4, 1876, with
the following officials: Thomas S. Evans,
president; John Bevans, vice-president; Thomas D.
Davis, recording secretary; James Richards, guide;
John Evans, I. G., Roderick Evans, O. G. The
society is organized for mutual aid and protection, and holds
its meetings in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows hall.
GIRARD LODGE NO. 432, INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS.
This lodge was instituted July
20, 1869, by Horace Beebe, special deputy G. M. The
charter members were: S. J. Lambert, Calvin Eckman, Hugh
Gilmore, Horatio M. Prindle, C. D. Goodrich, John P. Miller, L.
Beaver, W. F. Adams, Jacob Stambaugh, Emanuel Hartzell, Jr., H.
A. McCartney, Evan Morris, and C. S. Miller.
The first officials were: Jacob Stambaugh, N. G.;
Evan Morris, V. G.; S. J. Lambert, secretary;
Hugh Gilmore, treasurer.
The lodge is now in a prosperous condition and holds
its regular meetings in its own lodge rooms on Liberty street,
with the present officials: Robert Shaw, N. G.; John
Allen, V. G.; Elias Lewis, secretary; C. G.
Goodrich, F. S.; and E. Hartzell, Jr., treasurer;
with a present membership of fifty-nine.
FRIENDSHIP LODGE NO. 65, KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS.
The above lodge was organized Mar. 12, 1874, by Adams
Emerson, G. C. The first officials were: E.
Hartzell, Jr., C. C.; Jopseph Hull, V. C.;
M. L. Kazertee, K. of R. S.; L. S. Fowler, M. of F.;
Edgar Cranton, M. of E.; S. E. Knight, prelate.
The following, including the above officials, were the
charter members: James H. Gifford, E. Hartzell, Jr., J.
Jones, C. D. Goodrich, John Wilkes, A. J. Jewell, James Jones,
Robert Thompson, and Thomas Hughes. The lodge
meets regularly in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows hall,
and now has a membership of twenty-five, with the following
officials: W. J. Walters, C. C.; A. E. Hartzell,
V. C.; C. D. Goodrich, K. of R. and S.; A. J. Jewell,
M. of F.; E. Hartzell, M. of E.; S. E. Knight,
THE GIRARD STOVE WORKS.
The above extensive manufactory
is located on the west side of the river at Girard village.
It was first established about 1867 by Lambert Crawford
and C. B. Vanbroclin, who operated about six months when
Crawford sold to George Johnson, and
Faulkenstein about the same time became a member of the
firm. About this time the works were closed and so
remained about one year, when it passed into the hands of
Hartzell, Lambert & May, who operated about one year.
Hartzell then bought Lambert's interest, which was
transferred to his son, Alonzo H. About this time
A. J. Cartney and Jacob Stambaugh, were members of
the firm, when C. R. Johnson purchased an interest of the
latter; also Robert Walker and D. T. Kincaid
purchased a one-fifth interest each. The company was then
incorporated with Jacob Stambaugh president, C. R.
Johnson secretary, and S. H. Wilson, superintendent,
the latter having purchased the interest now owned by John R.
Walker, John Stambaugh, A. J. McCartney, D. T. Kincaid, and
S. H. Wilson. The foundry now requires from eight
to ten moulders, one machinist, two stove mounters, one pattern
maker, two blacksmiths and helpers, one engineer, two cupola
tenders, and is now producing all kinds of work in this line.
The utmost capacity is a five-ton casting. From seven to
eight stoves are turned out per day, together with other odd
castings to the amount of ten to twenty hundred pounds. A
specialty is made of coal-tank cages and coal cars. Three
and four of the latter are made per day. The works now
have one fifty inch cupola running a daily heat and near full
capacity. The engine used is a forty-horse power, and the
works are in active and successful operation.
THE GIRARD FLOUR MILL.
The present flouring-mills located at Girard were built about
1840-41 by Jesse Baldwin and Abner Osborn.
The present company, under the name of Morris, Prindle &
Co., runs the mill to a capacity of sixty or seventy barrels per
day, having four run of buhrs propelled by waterpower derived
from the Mahoning river. The company is doing a general
shipping and local custom trade.
tannery which stood on the site of the present extensive tannery
of Krehl, Hauser & Co., was built and operated for
some time by Elmadorus Cranden. The above company
came into possession in 1860, and in 1873 very extensive
improvements were made and other improvements have from time to
time been made. The present capacity in six hundred sides
of leather per week, requiring the assistance of twenty-five and
more hands. The company now makes a specialty of harness
and belt leather, also the manufacture of bands for driving
machinery and fair line and collar leather. The present
complete appliances are all new and the company is operating
with every indication of success and increasing prosperity.
THE GIRARD SAVINGS BANK
The bank was organized in 1873 under the general banking law of
the State. The original officials were: R. H. Walker,
president, and O. Sheadle, cashier. The latter has
served in this capacity since, and is the present able and
efficient cashier of the bank. The original company was
composed of R. H. Walker, William B. Leslie, R.
L. Walker, Evan Morris, John Morris, and O. Sheadle.
The incorporation was made with a capital of
$50,000, and the deposits now amount to $100,000 with a surplus
fund of $12,500.
The banking of this firm has been managed with
commendable efficiency, and no losses have ever been experienced
since the organization, and the operations have embraced a
general banking business of almost ten years.
The present company is composed of R. L. Walker,
William B. Sampson, Zenas Kline, I. R. Hayes, Rebecca and
Margaret Leslie, and O. Sheadle, cashier; the
company owning its own banking house on Liberty street.
The present condition is in every way indicative of future
success, and general confidence is felt in the condition and
management of the bank.
THE CORNS IRON COMPANY ROLLING-MILLS.
These large and flourishing
works were first established here in 1872-73 by a joint stock
company, known as the Girard Rolling-mill company. The
present company is operated by the following officials: Henry
Wick president; Myron C. Wick secretary, treasurer,
and general manager, who with John C. Wick compose the
present company, the works now being superintended by T. H.
Joy. The works now employ one hundred and
fifty-three hands, and have fourteen puddling furnaces, three
heating furnaces, one eighteen inch muck-mill, two batteries,
one of four and the other of two boilers. Special
attention is paid to the manufacture of irons for agricultural
implements, guard and finger irons, drag and brace bars, knife
back, iron cylinder bar, and tooth iron for threshing machines,
also chain, nut, and bolt iron. Present capacity nine to
ten hundred tons per month.
THE GIRARD IRON
The above furnace was first located here about 1866 by
John Tod, J. G. Butler, William Richards, and Joseph
Fleming. The present company is composed of A. M.
Byers, and Joseph Fleming of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania,
with W. R. Drake, of Warren, as manager. The
company has lately made considerable repairs and many
improvements. The appliances now consist of the furnace
sixty-six feet high with boilers of sixteen feet, two
Robinson, Ray & Co. blowing engines of eighty-four inch
cylinders, four pumps, eight cylinder boilers forty-four feet
long, a cast-iron tower with Crane Brothers' automatic
hoist, a fine stock-house two hundred feet long and sixty-wide;
also two hot blasts. The furnace has a capacity of twenty
thousand tons per month, and has convenient connections with the
Ashtabula & Painesville, also the Mahoning division of the New
York, Pennsylvania & Ohio railroads.
is a small
village in the northwestern part of the township. The
settlement here was made more prominent about 1865 when the coal
bank was opened. The place derived the name from the
following incident: About 1840, when the temperance
question was strongly agitated, Dr. Fisher gave a lecture
on that subject at Church Hill, and those who were interested in
the cause prevailed on the doctor to deliver a lecture in the
school-house where the above village now stands.
The lecturer did not meet with the success he anticipated, and
at the next lecture at Church Hill he jocosely remarked that he
had not been successful in his effort at the school-house and he
feared that the locality was a perfect Sodom; and from that time
this name has been retained. The village has some lines of
trade represented but operations in mining are the main
The Methodist Protestant church is located at the
THE EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION CHURCH.
This organization first held
meetings at the house of George Herring, where Rev.
Henry Yambert preached as early as 1822. A few
years after a church was built on the south side of the road
about one and one-fourth miles from Girard, between Church Hill
and the former village. This building was afterwards moved
to the present location, in the northeast part of the township.
Besides Rev. Yambert, who was the first preacher
of this denomination in the township, there were many others who
from time to time served this congregation. Among these
were - Revs. Crossman, Staley, G. S. Domer, Long, Crowther,
Rank, Van Dorsal, Beatty, Wyckle Hollinger, Somers, Brown,
Poling, Dunlap, Weaver, and C. F. Harting, the
William Herring was one among the first
class-leaders, also afterwards Jacob Miller. George
The present trustees are Jacob Miller, William
Frazier, and Simon Goist, and the society is now
under the jurisdiction of the Pittsburg conference.
THE METHODIST PROTESTANT CHURCH.
This society was organized Feb. 22, 1862, by Rev. Henry
Palmer. The original members were John and PHoebe
Hawkins, Julius Truesdale and wife, Isaac D. Bard and
wife, James H. Bard and wife, Abraham Storm and
wife, Washington Powers and wife, John Barber and
wife, Samuel McKenzie and wife, Wilson and Mary J.
Powers, Henrietta and Sylvanus Moser, John S. Bennett and
wife, Isaac Sutton, Cornelius Shook, Delilah Shook, Sarah
Shook, Ann and Lucinda Storm, Arabella Denison, Harriet Goist,
E. E. Goudy, Frank Allbright, Elizabeth and Julietta Miller,
John Turner, Belinda Frazier, John Miller, Maria Hickox.
John Hawkins was the first class-leader and J. H. Bard,
steward. The church building was erected in 1872,
dedicated on June 26th the same year. Rev. Thomas .
Colhour preached the dedication sermon. The building
committee consisted of Isaac D. Bard, J. S. Denison,
Wesley Triplet, Henry H. Jones, and A. S. Stewart.
The following ministers have served this congregation:
Henry Palmer, J. H. Mason, T. H. Colhour, C. P. Jordon, John
Hodgkinson, C. P. Goodrich, McLaughlin, Henry Palmer, C. K.
Stillwagon, William H. Gladden, E. A. Brindley. The
society belongs to the Pittsburg conference, Trumbull circuit.
The Sabbath-school was organized in 1862 with John Hawkins
as superintendent. The first meetings of the society were
held in the school-house of district number four for many years
previous to the organization of the church proper. The
revival of 1862, under Rev. Henry Palmer, was a special
season of ingathering to the church, since which time there have
been many revivals under the various ministers. The
present membership numbers thirty-eight, and the society is in
NOTES OF SETTLEMENT.
settled in Liberty in the first settlement of the township.
He erected a rude pole shanty in the east part of the township,
in the place where Stewart Denison now lives; purchasing
six hundred and forty acres of land, and lived there until his
death, October 29, 1821. He was seventy-three years of age
at the time of his death. His children were Samuel,
James, Henry, John, David and Margaret, all now dead.
Samuel, the oldest of the children, married Betsy
Stewart, and lived upon the old homestead. They were
the parents of twelve children, of whom ten are yet living.
Samuel Denison was a leading farmer in his township, and
in influential and enterprising citizen. He held the
office of justice of the peace for thirty-five years. He
died in 1869 at the age of eighty-seven or eighty-eight.
The surviving members of the family are Francis, John, Mary
(Holland), Stewart, Calving, Eliza (Applegate), Sarah
(McMullen), Amy (Henderson), Esther (Baily), and Margaret;
all reside on a part of the original farm in Liberty except
John, who resides in Champion, Mrs. Holland in
Mahoning county, and Mrs. Applegate in Youngstown.
John Denison is a farmer of Champion, born June 4,
1818. He has been married twice. Stewart Denison,
born in 1822, married in 1845 Rosannah Russel, of Vienna.
SAMUEL GOIST was
born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, June 3, 1801. His
father, George Goist, was a native of Pennsylvania.
He came to Ohio in 1801 or 1802, in company with two of the
family, coming on a flat-boat of their own construction as far
as Beaver, then by teams through the wilderness to Liberty
township, where they all settled. Mr. Goist began
in the woods but soon had a good farm under cultivation, and
lived upon this until his death. There were six children
in his family, three boys and three girls. All of the
girls are living. Mr. Samuel Goist learned the
wagonmaker's trade and followed this occupation until within a
short time before his death, which accidentally occured on
November 7, 1878, caused by being thrown out of a buggy.
Mrs. Samuel Goist, daughter of Isaac Hoffman, was
born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, August 26, 1806. She
is still living with one of her daughters, and is a smart
energetic lady. There were born to Mr. and Mrs. Goist
eight children, five of whom are living. Mr. John M.
Goist, one of the sons, of whom this information was
obtained, resides in Liberty township. He was married in
1861 to Miss Rebecca Hoffman, daughter of Washington
Hoffman, of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania. Three
children were the fruits of this union. Mrs. Goist
died in 1869. Mr. Goist was married in 1871 to Miss
Mary A. Kirk, daughter of Josiah Kirk, of Jackson
township, Mahoning county. One child by this marriage.
He has made farming his chief occupation though has worked some
at wagon-making and milling.
born in Liberty township in 1835. His father, Samuel
Goist, was one of the early settlers of the township.
Mr. Goist has always lived in Liberty. Farming and
milling have been his chief occupations. He was married in
1858 to Mis sMary A. Shiveley, daughter of Daniel
Shiveley, of Liberty township. They have three
children - Alice L., William H., and Iva F. Mr.
Goist is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
and also of the Grangers.
JOHN C. WILKIN
an old resident of Liberty township, was born in Allegheny
county, Pennsylvania, October 16, 1804. His father,
John, a native of Ireland, came to America in an early day
and located in Allegheny county, where he was engaged in farming
for many years. He died in Pittsburg, leaving a family of
nine children, three of whom are living. Mr. Wilkin
purchased land in Liberty, previous to 1800, though he soon sold
it, as he did not care to go into the country where there were
more Indians than white men. Mr. John Wilkin came
to Ohio in 1834 and settled in Champion township, Trumbull
county. He here began in the woods, but soon had a good
farm as a reward for his hard labors. He lived here ten
years, and then moved to Howland township where he resided seven
years, then back to Champion for seven years, then to Liberty,
where we now find him. He has a good farm of one hundred
acres. He was married in 1826 to Mrs. Mary Scott,
daughter of William Scott, of Pennsylvania. He had
nine children by this marriage. Mrs. Wilkin died in
1845. In 1847 Mr. Wilkin was again married - to
Miss Rosannah Oaks, daughter of Isaac Oaks, of
Pennsylvania. There were five children by this marriage.
Mrs. Wilkin died in 1856. For his third wife Mr.
Wilkin married in 1857 Miss Matilda Clark, daughter
of William Clark, of Liberty township, by whom he had one
child. She died in 1866. He was married the fourth
time in 1867 to Miss Elizabeth Oaks, a sister of
his second wife. Mr. Wilkin is a member of the
Presbyterian church; Mrs. Wilkin of the Baptist church,
Mr. Wilkin is still an active, energetic man, a good
neighbor and citizen.
WILLIAM WARD, a
well-known resident of Trumbull county, was born in England in
1806, Jan. 11th, and came to America in 1818 with his parents,
William and Sarah Ward. They at once went to
Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, where they lived till their deaths.
Mr. Ward, the subject of this sketch, came to Ohio in
1826 and located at New Lisbon, where he was engaged in the iron
business two years, then went back to Pittsburg, where he
manufactured nails fourteen years. He then
moved to Niles, Ohio, where he and his brother, James Ward,
and Thomas Russell built the iron mills of James Ward
& Co. Mr. Ward resided at Niles thirty-six years.
He came to Girard in 1878, and is now engaged in farming.
He was married in 1825 to Miss Ann McIntosh, daughter of
Duncan McIntosh. Ten children were the fruits of this
union, five of whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Ward
are members of the Presbyterian church. In politics he is
a firm Republican. He has been one of the active business
men of the county, and is held in esteem by all.
MCCLELLAND, an old resident of Liberty township, was born
in Liberty, April 10, 1811. His father, William
McClelland, came from Pennsylvania or New Jersey, somewhere
near Monmouth, though he was living in Greene county,
Pennsylvania, when he came to Ohio, which was in 1805. He
located in Liberty township, and was one of the early settlers,
and knew well from experience what the trials and hardships were
to which the pioneers were subject. He cleared up a good
farm and resided upon it till his death, which occurred Jan. 23,
1843. Mr. William McClelland was a member of the
Presbyterian church, of which he was an elder for many years,
being appointed when he was twenty-four years of age.
Three of his children lived to maturity - Robert, Ann, James.
Mr. James McClelland has always lived near his old home.
He has made farming an occupation, though not exclusively.
He has been justice of the peace six years, giving the best of
satisfaction in his official position. He is a stanch
Republican and a worthy citizen.
ABNER OSBORN, a
well-known resident of Liberty township, was born in Youngstown
township, Sept. 5, 1810. His father, Joseph Osborn,
was born in Virginia and came to Ohio in 1804, locating in
Youngstown township, Trumbull county (now Mahoning), and was
among the early pioneers. Like other old settlers in the
wild country of Ohio at the time, he began in the woods with a
dense wilderness about him in all directions, though he
succeeded in making a good farm and lived upon this till his
death, which occurred Feb. 17, 1846, aged seventy-two years.
There were eight children in his family, four of whom are now
living. Mr. Abner Osborn came to Girard in 1841.
He helped build the present grist-mill in company with Josiah
Robins and Jesse Baldwin. Mr. Osborn has been
engaged in various occupations. In connection with farming
he is interested in coal business in Carroll and Columbiana
counties. He was married in 1839, to Miss Abigail
Allison, of New Lisbon, Columbiana county. Six
children have been born to them, five of whom are living.
One son was killed in the Rebellion. Mrs. Osborn is
a member of the Methodist church. Politically Mr.
Osborn is a good Democrat and is one of the enterprising men
of the county.
EDWARD MAHAN was
born in 1812 in Ireland, and came to America in 1831, landing in
Quebec after a perilous voyage of five weeks and four days.
His father, Thomas, came to America about eighteen months
afterwards, and at once came to Ohio where his son resided in
Trumbull county. Here he remained several years, then went
to Guernsey county, Ohio, where he died in 1841. There
were nine children in his family, five boys and four girls.
Six of the children came to this country. Mrs. Mahan
died in Bristol some years after the death of Mr. Mahan.
Mr. Edward Mahan has always lived in Liberty township since
1831, with the exception of eighteen months in Guernsey county.
He learned the brickmakers' trade and followed this for over
thirty years, then went upon the farm where we now find him.
He was married in 1835 to Miss Lydia McFarland, daughter
of William McFarland, of Coitsville, Mahoning county.
They have had twelve children, all of whom are living and are
the joy of their parents in their old age. Mr. and Mrs.
Mahan are members of the Methodist church and are good
an old resident of Trumbull county, was born in Austintown, June
10, 1812. His father, John C., a native of New
Jersey, came to Ohio in a very early day, and was among
the pioneers of the section. Mr. Gideon Carlton
lived in Austintown till he was eighteen years of age, then went
to Lordstown with his parents and resided there till 1845, when
he moved to Champion township, living there five years, then
came to Liberty township and made it his home till 1864, then
moved to Weathersfield township and remained there till 1879,
then moved back to Liberty, where we now find him on the north
half of his father's old farm. He was married in 1835 to
Miss Mary Brougher, daughter of John Brougher of
Youngstown. By this union there were seven children.
Mrs. Carlton died in March, 1850. Mr. Carlton
was married the second time on Oct. 10, 1850, to Mrs.
Sarah McKinley, daughter of Archibald Prince, of
Hubbard. He had four children by this marriage, two of
whom are living. Mrs. Carlton is a member of the
Disciple church. In politics Mr. Carlton is a firm
Republican, and is held in high esteem by all.
F. T. ADAMS, an old
resident of Trumbull county, was born in Weathersfield township,
Sept. 23, 1817. His father, David A. Adams, came
from Connecticut in an early day and located in Weathersfield
township, and was one of the first settlers. He lived in
Weathersfield till his death on October 3, 1855. He was
born Feb. 10, 1784. Mrs. Adams was born April 26,
1794. She died Dec. 21, 1864. There were seven
children in the family- four boys and three girls. Mr.
F. T. Adams has always lived in the county, is
engaged in general farming, and has one hundred and fifty-eight
acres of land. He was married in1848 to Miss Elizabeth
Nelson, daughter of John Nelson, of Liberty township.
This union has been blessed with six children, two of whom are
living - Charles F. and Calvin A. Mrs. Adams
is a member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Adams
is a Republican and a good citizen.
JOHN B. TULLY,
a well known resident of Liberty township, was born Sept. 4,
1817. His father, James Tully, father of James,
came from Ireland before the Revolutionary war. He was a
cooper by trade though he did not follow this exclusively, as he
was upon the sea several years - made a voyage to the East
Indies. During the Revolutionary war he was taken prisoner
at Quebec. After the war he settled in Virginia for a
short time, when, having trouble with the Indians, he moved to
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and from there to Washington
county. He participated in the famous whiskey insurrection
at Ginger Hill. In the spring of 1804 he came to Ohio and
located in Liberty township upon the farm where Mr. J. B.
Tully now lives, having previously purchased it. He
cleared up a fine farm and lived upon it until his death, in
1830. There were seven children in the family.
Mr. James Tully lived upon the farm until 1861, his
death occurring in this year, Mrs. Tully died in 1852.
There were four children in this family. Mr. John B.
Tully, the subject of this sketch, lives upon the old home
farm; he is engaged in general farming, trough he works at his
trade some - that of a carpenter, also wagon-making. He
was married in 1850 to Miss May J. McGlatery, daughter of
Joseph McGlathery, of Liberty township. Three
children are the fruits of this marriage: Josephine A.,
Hagar, Austa. Hagar is deceased. Mrs. Tully
and her daughter are members of the Disciple church.
Mr. Tully is one of the substantial citizens of the
TULLY, brother of John B. Tully,
was born in Liberty township in 1824, and has always lived upon
the old home farm. He has one hundred and thirty-two acres
of excellent land. He was married in 1850 to Miss Emily,
daughter of Samuel Geddis, of Liberty township.
They have had five children, three of whom are living, In
religion Mr. Tully is very liberal.
was born in 1823 in Columbiana County, Ohio. His father,
Jacob Shook, was a native of Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio
in an early day and settled in Columbiana county, where he
resided several years, then moved to Liberty township, Trumbull
county, where he lived until his death, in 1858; Mrs. Shook
died in 1836 or 1837. Five children in the family, three
of whom are living. Mr. John Shook is engaged in
general farming and is one of the successful farmers of the
township. He was married in 1845, to Miss Leah Hays,
daughter of William Hays, of Liberty township.
Seven children have been born to them, five of whom are living.
Mrs. Shook died in 1878. Mr. Shook is one of
the most enterprising men of the township, and is held in high
P. GILBERT, was born in Austintown
township in 1818. His father, Henry Gilbert,
was born in Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in company with his
parents and settled in Austintown township, Trumbull county, now
Mahoning. He moved to Liberty township in 1821, where he
worked as a carpenter until 1837, when he went to Bazetta
township and cleared up a farm, living there until his death,
which occurred in 1855 or 1856. There were ten children in
his family, four of whom are living. Mrs. Gilbert
died in 1861. Mr. H. P. Gilbert has lived in
Trumbull county since 1821, with the exception of a short time;
was engaged in mercantile business at Austintown twenty-seven
years, though is now interested in coal. He was married in
1845, to Miss Laura A. Rush, daughter of Abner
Rush, of Liberty township. Five children have been
born to them, three of whom are living. Mrs.
Gilbert is a member of the Presbyterian church: Mr.
Gilbert was in the One Hundred and Fifth Ohio infantry,
was discharged in 1865 for disability. He is a Republican.
J. C. BOWMAN, M. D.,
an old physician of Girard, was born in Elkton township,
Columbiana county, Ohio, in 1819. His father, David,
was a native of York county, Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in
an early day, settling in Elkton township, where he lived till
his death, which occurred in 1819. Dr. Bowman
studied medi cine with Dr. Hahn, of North Lima,
Columbiana county; attended lectures at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and
graduated at the Eclectic Medical institute in Philadelphia, in
1855. He practiced several years in Beaver township,
Columbiana county, now Mahoning, before graduating. Since
1855 he has practiced in Southington, Beaver, and Girard, coming
to Girard in 1862. He has a good practice. He was
married in 1840 to Miss Sophia Hahn,
daughter of John Hahn, of Beaver township. They
have had seven children, three of whom are living. Mr.
and Mrs. Bowman are members of the
Evangelical Association. In politics Mr. Bowman
was formerly a staunch Abolitionist, but is now a firm
Greenbacker, being strongly opposed to National banks. He
is a good physician, and is held in esteem by all.
one of the old residents of Girard, was born in Venango county,
Pennsylvania, May 3, 1821. His father, John Rayen,
was a Pennsylvania and came to Ohio in 1827, and located at
Youngstown when it was a very small part of the city. He
lived here till 1833, when he moved to Champion township, where
he resided till his death, which occurred in 1852, leaving a
family of seven children and widow to mourn his loss. Two
of the children died before this. Mrs. Rayen is
still living. Mr. William Rayen came to Girard in
1853 or 1854, and has been engaged in business at this place
ever since; first is the flax business, afterward in mercantile,
in which we now find him. He was married in 1849 to
Miss Lucy Moser, daughter of John Moser, of Liberty
township. They have had three children, two of whom are
living. Mr. Rayen is one of the active
business men of the township. Politically he has been a
Republican, though is inclined toward Greenbackism.
was born in Weathersfield township in 1822. His father,
Edward Wilson, was born in Youngstown township; he died in
1836, leaving a family of eight children. Mr. William
Wilson, grandfather of Joseph, was born upon the
ocean while his parents were on their way to America. He
came to Ohio about 1800 and was among the pioneers of Ohio.
There were two or three houses in Youngstown at that day.
He cleared up a good farm, which remains in the family.
Mr. Joseph Wilson was well known throughout this part of the
Reserve at a great hunter. Mr. William Wilson came
to Liberty township in 1847, from Niles, and settled in Girard.
About five years ago he moved upon the farm where he now lives.
He is a wagonmaker by trade, though he follows farming to some
extent. He was married in 1845 to Miss Martha McCartney,
daughter of Andrew McCartney, of Liberty township.
They have had six children, four of whom are living.
Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are members of the Methodist church.
He is a Republican.
J. B. HOOD
in Liberty township, Trumbull county, in 1830. His father,
Amos Hood, came from Washington county, Pennsylvania, to
Ohio in 1808, in company with his father, George Hood,
and settled in Liberty township near the center of the town.
Mr. George Hood was a pioneer and passed through the
trials and hardships incident to pioneer life. He began in
the wilderness and cleared up a good farm. He died in
1846. There were nine children in his family, six boys and
three girls. Mr. Hood was a farmer by occupation.
Mrs. Hood died in 1852 or 1853. Mr. Amos Hood
spent the most of his life in Liberty. He died in
December, 1873. Mrs. Hood, wife of Amos Hood,
died in May, 1864. There were five children in the family,
three of whom are living. Mr. J. B. Hood has ever
lived in Liberty township. He is engaged in general
farming and is highly esteemed by all. He was married in
1856 to Miss Elizabeth Strock, daughter of John Strock,
of Southington. They have two children - Vernetia
and Ellis R. Politically Mr. Hood is a
W. B. SAMPSON, was
born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in February, 1831.
His father, William Sampson, was a native of Pennsylvania
and lived and died there. Mr. W. B. Sampson came to
Ohio in 1843 and has since lived and died there. Mr. W.
B. Sampson came to Ohio in 1843, and has since lived at
Church Hill, Liberty township. He married Miss Amanda
Walker, daughter of R. H. Walker of Church Hill in
1855. They have had four children, Hattie J., John W.,
William H., and Robert H. Mrs. Sampson is a
member of the Presbyterian church. Mr. Sampson is
quite extensively engaged in stock business, and is one of the
energetic, wide-awake farmers of old Trumbull. He is a
DR JOHN McCARTNEY,
a well known physician of Girard, was born in Girard Sept. 26,
1838. His father, James McCartney, a native of
Ohio, is now living at Girard. Dr. McCartney
studied medicine with Isaac Barclay, M. D., and attended
lectures at Cleveland Medical college, and graduated in 1861.
He has since practiced at Girard with the exception of three
years at Hubbard. Dr. McCartney has built up a good
practice. He was married in 1872 to Mrs. Sarah Packard,
daughter of John Crum, of Austintown township.
Mrs. McCartney died in 1875. She was a member of the
Lutheran church. Dr. McCartney is a Free Mason -
politically a good Democrat.
GEORGE H. BEAVER,
a representative of an old family of Liberty township, was born
in Liberty Oct. 27, 1843. His father, Samuel Beaver,
was a native of Perry county, Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in
1822 in company with John Stambaugh, of Youngstown.
He came to Liberty township in 1832 and settled upon a farm in
the southeastern part of the township. He died in 1880.
There were eleven children in the family, five of whom are
living. Mrs. Beaver is still living. Mr.
George Beaver has always lived in the county, residing in
Hubbard twelve years and then remaining time in Liberty
township. Farming has been his chief business, though he
has been engaged in the stock and ship business more or less.
He was married in October, 1867, to Miss Rebecca D. Miller,
daughter of Jacob Miller, of Liberty township. They
have three children. Mr. Beaver has been township
trustee two years, also school director and member of board of
JOHN WALTERS was
born in Germany Dec. 9, 1820. He came to Ohio and located
in Warren, Trumbull county, residing here one year, then went to
Youngstown, living there about twelve months, then to Liberty
township, where he was engaged in the coal business for a short
tie, then came to Girard and went into mercantile business, in
which he remained till his death, which was accidentally caused
by the explosion of kerosene il, Dec. 10, 1861, leaving a family
of nine children and a widow to mourn his loss. He was a
member of the Lutheran church and was highly esteemed by his
fellow-townsmen He was married in 1846 to Miss Sophia
Bishop, daughter of Jonas Bishop. She was born
LOTZE was born in Germany in 1830, and came to America in
1830 landing in New York. He lived in Rochester and
vicinity about two years, then moved to Sharon, Pennsylvania,
where he resided three years, being employed as an engineer and
manager in furnace in the meantime. He then came to Ohio
in 1855 and worked one year in Vienna at his trade - black-smithing.
He then moved to Weathersfield township, living here one year,
and in 1857 came to Girard and has since resided here. He
is now engaged in the jewelry business in connection with the
drug business, being assisted by his son. He was married
in 1853 to Miss Catherine Kick, daughter of Henry
Kick, of Germany. They have had seven children, six of
whom are living. Mr. and Mrs. Lotze are members of
the German Reform church. He is a member of the Knights of
Pythias. Politically, a sound Democrat.
T. F. HAWLEY, a
well known druggist of Girard, was born in Painesville, Ohio, in
1840. His father, Cyrus A. Hawley, was born in
Fairfield county, Connecticut, and came to Painesville in 1834,
and was among the first business men of the town. He was
engaged in the drug business in Painesville till 1853, and then
travelled six years through the South for a firm in
Philadelphia. He came to Girard in 1867. Mr. T.
F. Hawley has been engaged in the drug business at Girard
since 1867. He was married in 1865 to Miss Flora
Spencer, daughter of H. N. Spencer, of Geauga County,
Ohio. They have two children. Mr. Hawley has
been postmaster ten or twelve years, and is at the present time.
He is a member of the Masonic lodge at Youngstown. He was
in the Nineteenth Ohio infantry three months, and afterwards in
the Forty-first Ohio, and served throughout the war, enlisting
in 1861 and discharged in 1865. Mr. Hawley may well
take pride in his military record. He was wounded six
times and carries as many scars to this day.
KREHL, an enterprising business man of Girard, was born in
Germany in 1840, and came to America in 1853. He at once came
to Ohio and located in Canfield, Mahoning county, where he resided
about four years, and then went to Poland township, remaining two
years, when he came to Girard, where we now find him extensively
engaged in the tannery business, employing between thirty-five and
forty men most of the time. He rebuilt the tannery he now
occupies in 1860, though he has made many additions, thus making one
of the largest tannery establishments in northeastern Ohio. He
was married in 1861 to Miss Sanzenbacherb, daughter of
Jacob Sanzenbacher, of Lawrence county, Pennsylvania. By
this union there were three children. Mrs. Krehl died
in 1870, and Mr. Krehl was married in 1872 to Miss Mary
Krehl, daughter of Frederick Krehl, of Indiana.
There were three children by this marriage. Mr. and Mrs.
Krehl are members of the Lutheran church. Mr. Krehl
is an active, wide-awake business man
GOODRICH was born in Hubbard in 1843. His father,
Roswell Goodrich, was a native of Connecticut, and came to Ohio
in 1838 or 1839, and settled in Hubbard, where he was engaged in a
grist-mill until 1844, when he removed to Liberty township and
purchased the Holliday mills. Mr. Goodrich resided here
until 1852, then moved to Vienna township where he lived until his
death, which occurred in 1853, aged seventy-three years.
Mr. C. D. Goodrich, the subject of this sketch, came to Girard
in March, 1860, and learned the cabinet-maker's trade, serving three
years as an apprentice and one year as a journeyman, then began
business for himself in 1864 in Hubbard and remained in it six
months, then came back to Girard, where he has since been one of the
active business men. He was married in 1864 to Miss Mary A.
Keefer, daughter of John Keefer, of Mercer county,
Pennsylvania. They have had seven children, six of whom are
living. Mr. Goodrich is a Free Mason Odd Fellow, and
Knight of Pythias. He has been justice of the peace for ten
years, also township trustee, and member of board of education;
politically he is a Republican.
A. J. BROOKS was born in Weathersfield township, Trumbull
county, Ohio, Sept. 11, 1844. His father, Thomas Brooks,
a native of Ohio, is still living in Weathersfield. The
family are among the early settlers of the township.
Dr. Brooks studied medicine with Dr. Casper, of
Niles, and graduated at the Cleveland Medical college in 1871,
and has since practiced at Niles, Church Hill, and Girard,
coming to the latter place in November, 1880. Dr.
Brooks has a good practice and is well liked. He was
married in 1873 to Miss Sylvia J. VanHorn, daughter of
Abram VanHorn, of Carroll county, Ohio. they have two
children, Hattie A. and Harvey T. Mr. and Mrs.
Brooks are members of the Disciple church. He is a
member of the Foresters; politically he is a Republican.
a well-known merchant of Girard, a member of the firm of
Hartzell Bros., was born in Germany in 1851, and came to
America in 1867, and at once came to Ohio and located at Girard,
where he has been in business. The firm does an extensive
business in dry goods, hats, caps, etc. He was married in
1877 to Miss Rachel Lambert, daughter of S. J. Blanche.
In politics he is a Conservative. He is an active business
RETURN TO TABLE
OF CONTENTS >