A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


 History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, Ohio
Published:  Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bros.

Trumbull County, Ohio

     The name of this township was doubtless derived from the original proprietor of the land, Captain James Johnston, of Salisbury, Connecticut, father of the late Edward Walter Johnston.  the township is in number six of the second range.  It was surveyed by Nathan Moore and his assistant in the year 1802.  It was then an unbroken wilderness uninhabited by any save the savage or wild beast of the forest.  The first settler was a family by the name of Bradley, consisting of himself, Captain Bradley his wife, Senath, and their three sons, Thaddeus, Moore Bird, and Ariel  They bid adieu to their native

[Pg. 401]
town, Salisbury, Connecticut, on the 7th of June, 1803, and performed a journey of five or six weeks and six or seven hundred miles, reaching Canfield, this State, before they made a stop.  Mr. James Bradley at that time was a man not far from fifty years of age, and his sons were young men just in the strength of early manhood.
     Mr. Bradley and family remained at Canfield a few days to visit friends of former acquaintanceship, after which they resumed their journey by marked trees and bridle paths, making their way from one clearing to another, which however, were few and far between.  After a few days they came to the last opening, about five miles distant from the locality selected for a home in the new township.  The whole region at that time for a space of ten miles square around this spot selected for spending the remainder of their days, was an unbroken wilderness, uninhabited. Their neighbors were a family by the name of Barnes between this and Vienna, one family in the southwest part of Bazetta, between this and Warren, on what was known as the Quinby farm, a few families in Vienna, a few in Gustavus, and a few in Kinsman.  They camped the first night in the township by a little stream, taking rest preparatory to the work of penetrating the unbroken forest still further on the morrow.
     Captain Bradley and his family settled on a lot a little west of the center, but he subsequently removed to a farm in the west part of the township, where he lived about fourteen years, and died respected at the age of sixty-two. His widow lived fifteen years longer and died a venerable matron of four-score years, June 15, 1832. From the time she left the family of Mr. Barnes, in Fowler, and came into this township, it was a year and some months before she saw again the face of a white female.
     Of the sons of Captain Bradley, Thaddeus, the eldest, spent much time from home aiding the family by such employment as he could find in Ravenna or the neighboring settlements in merchandising or teaching till he at length returned and settled in the west part of the township, where he died in October, 1865, at the old homestead which was afterwards owned by James D. Bradley, his oldest son.  About six hundred acres of land was inherited by his three children and a granddaughter.  Moore Bird, the second son, after laboring a few years in clearing away the forest, turned his attention to the study of medicine.  He was the first medical student under the instruction of Dr. Peter Allen, and after studying and reading with him for a time he practiced his profession in Mansfield and eventually settled in Pennsylvania, where he died, leaving a widow.  Ariel, the youngest son, engaged in the more rugged employment of clearing the farm.  He was the hero of the axe, who felled the first tree previously noted.  But his strong constitution gave way under toil and disease and subsequently he too studied medicine, with his brother, and practiced as a physician.  Late in life he married Miss Laura L. Barstow, who still lives, the widow of the first physician of the township.
     The next arrivals were two young men, who were carpenters, without families.  One was a mill-wright. They set themselves to work to look up a suitable location for a mill seat, and fixed upon a site in the northeastern part of the township.  Those young men were Jared Hill and James Skinner.  They came in July. 1804, and staid until winter, raised their saw-mill, then left until the next season.  They went to Canfield, married, and soon after came back with their wives.  When they moved in they came up through the first range, through Vernon, and cat a path a mile and a half to make an opening to get their teams through to their new abode in the wilderness.  There they remained, and as the men were mechanics, their wives were sometimes left alone from Monday morning until Saturday night, their nearest neighbors being a camp of Indians a half mile down the stream from the mill.
     In about a year and a half after their settlement Messrs. Hill & Skinner had their sawmill in use to the very great accommodation of the settlement.  They soon added a grist-mill which further accommodated the inhabitants.  Before the erection of this mill their nearest place for grinding was at Orangeville, Pennsylvania.  Of these families Miss Sallie Hill died July I, 1822, aged forty years, and Jared Hill, Esq., died July 6, 1839, aged sixty-five years.
     A few weeks after Hill and Skinner first came, in September, 1804, came a Mr. Jaqua with his family, which consisted of himself and wife and

[Pg. 402]
five children, two sons and three daughters.  This family settled near the cross roads east of the center. In this family was the first marriage in the township.  Solomon Brainard was married to Charity Jaqua.  The exact date is not known, but it was in less than two years after the family came as it was before June, 1806.  Mr. Jaqua was the first magistrate chosen in the township. His two sons died in a time of sickness which will be noted in the proper place.  The family removed to Pennsylvania, where they lived the remainder of their days.  Of the family of Solomon and Charity Brainard, the second son, John Brainard, after laboring for a time as a clothier and also as an engraver, occupied the chair of a professor in the homeopathic college in Cleveland.
     In the spring of 1805 David Hine and a Mr. Hanchet, single men, came and put up a shanty where Mr. Henry K. Hulse afterwards lived, west of the center, but they did not remain.
     Probably the next family which came in was that of Mr. Zebulon Walker.  He came in the late part of the summer or in the fall of 1805.  His family consisted of a wife and several children. He first settled near Mr. Jaqua, on the northeast corner of the cross-roads.  He built a small house and made a little improvement, which he subsequently exchanged for a lot towards the north part of the township, to which he removed and afterwards left town.  As near as can be ascertained the first white child born in the township was a child of Mr. Walker.
     Most, or all of those mentioned in the above, were from Litchfield, Connecticut.
     November 2, 1805, brought in quite an addition to the settlement:  Four families came from Warren, Connecticut. Daniel Hine, Jr.; Erastus Carter, Howard Fuller, and Benjamin Andrews.  There were also some young men who came with them, among whom were Augustus Adams, Josiah Finney, and a Mr. Breman.  This company were three days coming from Youngstown. Mr. Carter settled near where Mr. Dunbar's tavern afterwards stood, and the others in different parts of the township.  They engaged immediately in putting up their cabins for shelter for their families for the coming winter.  While in the midst of their work in rolling up their logs for Mr. Fuller's house, Mr. Hine had his leg broken below the knee, which laid him up for most of the winter.  When Mr. Hine first came he stored his goods in the shanty built by his brother and Mr. Hanchet, and it was there he was cared for until he recovered from his injury.
     Mr. Carter did not unload his goods until he had rolled up a house for hnnself. About one year after Mr. Carter came into the township he lost his infant child. It was buried in what is now the graveyard for the township, and was the first grave made in the ground, and this was probably the first death which occurred among the early settlers. Mr. Hine dug the grave.
     In June, 1806, the next year, added another company to the settlement. Daniel Hine, Sr., David Webb, William McKey, and Morris Smith arrived with their families.  This company suffered from sickness on the road. Mrs. McKey was so unwell that she was obliged to stop at the house of Isaac Woodford, in Vienna, where they had serious sickness, the complaint being dysentery.  Daniel Hine settled on the place afterwards owned by William Boor, but later, in a few years, left for Canfield, where he removed his family. David Webb settled on or near the place where his late widow, Sarah Webb, lived and died, afterwards occupied by Mr. Hale.
     Mr. McKey settled where his son Henry McKey afterwards lived.  These families furnished a large accession to the number of young people in the township.  Mr. Hine had two sons and three daughters. Mr. Webb had five sons and two daughters, and Mr. McKey had three children.  Daniel Abell, subsequently Major Abell, another single man, came in June, 1806.  Nathan Webb, the eldest son of David Webb, a clothier* by trade, soon turned his attention to secure a site for his business.  He first attempted to build a little below the mill of Messrs. Hill & Skinner.  After he had spent one season in building a dam the result of his labor was swept away by a freshet, and he subsequently secured the privilege of the water-power at the mill of Hill & Skinner.  He returned to Connecticut and married Miss Anna Gregory, from Milton, with whom he settled on the place which for many years he afterwards occupied.  His wife was a professor of religion before she left Connecticut, and did much to advance the cause of Chris-

[Pg. 403]
tianity in the new settlement.  Mr. David Webb was found dead in his bed on the morning of March the 22d, 1827.  He was seventy-one years old.  His widow, Sarah Webb, was also found dead in bed on the morning of October 6, 1852.  She was ninety-two years old.
     Mrs. Laura Hine, wife of David Hine, Jr., died September 15, 185 1, aged twenty-one years.  She was honored in the memory of all who knew her.
     Mr. Augustus Adams, who came in November, 1805, settled on the lot afterwards occupied by Frederick Stevens.   He married one of the daughters of David Hire, Sr.
    Mr. Ahell commenced the improvement where Ebcnezer Jackson afterwards lived, but went back and was married to Miss Root, and when he returned he settled on he place afterwards owned by Mr. Bennett.
     About the time that Mr. Abell commenced his improvement on the west street the son of Captain Bradley commenced the improvement which they subsequently occupied near Mr. Abell. The improvement first commenced by Mr. Abell was' afterwards occupied by Mr. Spencer, and still further north on the place occupied by a Mr. Dickerson, Mr. Consider Faunce settled. He remained there till his death, which occurred April i, 1819, at the age of sixty-nine.  His widow lived to an advanced age, much esteemed as a mother in Israel, and died at the house of her son, Joseph Barstow, March 19, 1848, aged ninety-eight years. 
     About this time also we find the family of Mr. Lilly settled at the center, on the place afterwards owned by Rev. O. S. Eells; also a son of his and a Mr. Hunt settled at the south part of the township on the center line, Mr. Hunt nearly opposite where Mr. E. Allen's barn stood and where the old mill was in use for a long time. Mr. Lilly was farther south. In the fall of 1810 the widow Anna Jackson came in and settled first with her two sons, John and William, on the place, a long time afterwards owned by Mr. Amzi Webb; John was married and William was single at that time.  They subsequently removed to the south part of the township, purchased the improvements made by Mr. Hunt and Mr. Lilly, and after about five or six years their older brother, Ebenezer, came, and settled where his widow fifty years afterwards was living.  Mrs. Anna Jackson died June 22, 1818, aged fifty-eight years.  Mr. John Jackson moved east of the center.  About the same time, 1810, Mr. Amasa Hamlin settled in the west part of the township on the farm afterwards owned by Mr. Greer, formerly by Mr. Joseph Barstow.  Mr. Hamlin afterwards left.


     In the winter and spring of 1811 the settlement was visited with distressing sickness.  It prevailed so extensively that the well were not enough in numbers to take care of the sick.  While many recovered there were four young persons who died.  Jesse Perry was the first. His parents lived somewhere near the center, but as he was not in a situation to be taken care of there he was removed to the house of David Webb, where he died.
     The disease, typhus fever, prevailed in the family of Mr. Webb, and their daughter, Debby Webb, died May 2, 1811, aged eighteen years.  Two sons of Mr. Jaqua died also about the same time, of the same disease, and also a young man, William Adams, who died of consumption.  It has been stated that Mr. Adams was the first adult who died in the township.  He died at the house of his brother, Augustus Adams.  Also the wife of William Key died not far from this time.  Her health was poor when she came into the county, and while here was always
a feeble woman.  These funerals were solemn and sad gatherings in the wilderness for the little community with scarcely enough to assist at the necessary preparations.  Sometimes they had
the aid of Mr. Crosby, a local Methodist preacher from Vernon, to conduct religious services.  Sometimes some of the settlers offered a prayer, and sometimes the dead were taken up in silence and borne away to the grave.  The first of the settlers who aided in a religious service at funerals was Mr. Hamlin.  Said one of the witnesses on one of these occasions: "Although I had no particular interest in religious subjects at that time, I did feel thankful that we had some one among us who could pray at a funeral."


     The first attempt to hold anything of the character of the social religious meetings on

[Pg. 404]
the Sabbath was not until some time after the arrival of the company in June, 1806. As we have remarked, there were a number of young people in the company, some of them singers, and nearly all accustomed to attend meetings on the Sabbath before they came West.  Although not professors of religion, and none of them feeling qualified by religious experience to conduct the devotional exercises of religious worship, yet they agreed to meet on the Sabbath and join m the exercises.  Mr. Daniel Mine, Jr., invited them to meet at his house the first Sabbath of their meetings.  Dr. Wright, of Vernon, was providentially visiting the sick in the place, and learning of the meeting he attended and assisted by leading the congregation in prayer, in connection with their reading and singing.  As there was, however, no one among them of sufficient confidence and Christian experience to lead the devotional exercises of public worship, after a few times these meetings were suspended, and no more regularly religious meetings were held on the Sabbath, till after the arrival of Mr. Hamlin, and as far as can be learned, not till after the season of sickness.  Mr. Hamlin was a Methodist of very respectable qualifications, and consistent religious character, of a liberal mind and disposed to seek and promote religious society.  After becoming acquainted with the community and ascertaining the willingness and desire to have meetings for worship on the Sabbath, he invited the people to meet together, and met with them. 
     By his influence and aid the meetings were conducted by prayer, singing, and reading discourses, and by such free conference as the members present were disposed to engage in.  This was the beginning of the permanent establishment of public worship on the Sabbath in this place. It is believed that from this time it has been habitually maintained.  There was at that time no ecclesiastical organization, but all met together simply for worship. The preachers of all denominations, either residing on the border or traveling through as missionaries, occasionally spent a Sabbath or called at other times and gave them a sermon.
     Among the early preachers who visited them was Mr. Crosby from Vernon, already mentioned; Father Badger from Gustavus, and Mr. Robbins, a Congregational missionary from Vernon;  Mr. Darrow from Vienna, a Presbyterian; also Mr. Sheldon from Fowler, and Elder Rigdon, a Baptist missionary, and later, Mr. Simon Woodruff and Mr. William Hanford, missionaries from the Connecticut Missionary society.
     During the occasional visits and the labors of these men there was an interesting revival of religion, in which some of the leading heads of families were hopefully converted to Christ, and who have since been pillars in the different churches here. Mr. Crosby, after a few visits finding a number of the Methodist denomination, suggested to them that if they would request it of the conference they would probably send a circuit preacher, who would gather a class and make a regular preaching station at this place. It was accordingly done abbot the year 1812.


Rev. James McMahan is remembered as among the first circuit preachers, and he was on the circuit in 1813. It was then known as the Mahoning circuit, belonging to this conference, which was set off in 181 2 from the Baltimore conference.
     This was then a frontier circuit, extending north into .Ashtabula, and west into Cuyahoga and Portage counties. The preachers sometimes got swamped between their appointments.  One of them, somewhere in the valley of the Mosquito creek, was compelled to seek a dry spot in the midst of the wide waters and swamp for the night.
     The meeting for forming the class was held at the house of Mr. Lilley, nearly across the street from the house now used. Among the male members were Mr. Hamlin, Mr. Spencer, and probably Mr. Dickinson, and soon after Mr. Judson Tyrrel.  The wives of most of these were with their husbands.  Other names were also associated, but the early records were lost and they can not be ascertained.
     The Presbyterian or Congregational church was organized October 16, 1814, under the labors of Rev. William Hanford, a missionary of the Connecticut Missionary society.  It consisted at first of six members—Solomon Brainard and his wife, Nathan Webb and wife, and Amzi Webb and wife. The church was organized in a log school-house, the first one built in the place. It

[Pg. 405]
stood on the south side of the street and nearly opposite the east school-house. Rev. Osias S. Eells was installed pastor of the Congregational church October 10, 1827.  At the time he came they met in a hewed-log school-house, standing on the northwest corner at the center.  At that time a frame meeting-house was in course of erection on the southeast corner, where Andrews & Finney's store afterwards was built.
     Although the house above mentioned was the first school-house, a school was commenced before that house was built.
     The first school was taught by Miss Elizabeth Hine, daughter of Daniel Hine, Sr., who afterwards became Mrs. Thaddeus Bradley.  It is said that it did not begin until after the removal of Mr. Hine to Canfield, and that she was sent for to come back and teach the school.  It was taught in the house built by Mr. Zebulon Walker on the corner opposite the house of Mr. Wilbur.
     The log school-house was built in 18— and the next school-house was a hewed-log house and was built where the house and store of John Jackson, Esq., stood afterwards.  This second school-house was built for the double purpose of school and church, and had a stand arranged for the minister's use.
     This settlement, together with all the other new settlements, experienced some alarm from the war on the frontier at that time.  War was declared January 19, 1812, and forces were raised by draft for the defense of the frontier.  The militia mustered at that time under Colonel Hayes, of Hartford.  At first both Mr. Hill and Skinner were drafted, but Mr. Skinner did not go on account of some lameness.  About two months after the first draft a rumor was set afloat that the enemy were landing at Cleveland, and all the enrolled men were called out to go immediately.
At that time nearly all the able bodied men in the settlement left. Mr. Daniel Hine was never enrolled in the militia on account of his broken limb.  He, together with some old men past the age of service, were about all who were left behind.
     The alarm proving to be false, most of the men went no farther than Austinburg or Harpersfield, from whence they returned, but some of them went out to Erie county, to Camp Avery, near where Milan now stands, and were in the service about six months. Before this time Mr. Judson Tyrrell had come and settled in the township, and was among the men who remained in the service. Subsequently his brother, Sherman Tyrrell, came and settled near.  The Dickenson family also were in the township.  So also were the Halsteads, and many others whose history we are not able to get in full.  Some families were brought in later by relatives or interests already here. A son and daughter of Captain Johnston, from whom the township was named, came in.  Colonel Walter Johnston in 1828 settled first where Dr. Moore Bradley afterwards lived, but who subsequently left it for his brother-in-law, Captain Ebenezer Mix, who came in later, and Colonel Johnston moved into the house of his son, Herman Johnston. Captain Mix died November 21, 1839, aged sixty-three years. His wife, Sally Mix, died July 27, 1846, aged fifty-six years.  Colonel Johnston died December 2, 1849, aged sixty-eight years.  Mr. George Root, a brother of Mr. Abell, came into the country early and took up a lot of land, and returned, but did not come to take up his residence until eighteen years afterward.  In the interval another brother came to make a permanent home.


     About 1830, through the aid of Mr. John Boone, afterwards of Mecca, a very respectable emigration of Protestant Irish commenced a settlement in the northwest corner of the township, and though Mr. Boone himself resided in Youngstown he came, after a short time, and occupied a farm in the northwest corner of the township, and as the settlement increased they became organized into schools and a Methodist society, and afterwards secured for themselves a good substantial house of worship. The settlement embraced parts of Gustavus, Greene, and Mecca.
     Mrs. Rosier, on the north line of the township, was there before the settlers came from Ireland.
     In the southeast corner of the township commenced a settlement in 1840.  Messrs. Thomas Tudhope and Alexander Curry were the first persons of the company who came.  The first family from Scotland was that of Mr. Robert Hamilton.  They were afflicted in crossing the ocean by the loss of a son, whose mortal remains were consigned to the deep.

[Pg.. 406]
Mr. Dewy was in the neighborhood during the time the first Scotch settlement came.  The district was afterwards almost exclusively Scotch.  They established their school and often had religious worship among them.  They were mostly Presbyterian.  While Mr. Dewy resided in that district, and Mr. Halstead where Mr. Gomery afterwards lived, and Mr. Van Aikin where Mr. Stodard afterward lived, there was a meeting of United Brethren maintained, and also another class in the northeast, or what was called the Henry settlement, but their regular appointments have ceased.


     Johnston was originally embraced in a poll district with Vernon, Hartford, and Fowler, elections being held in Hartford in the Hayes neighborhood.  Subsequently Mecca and Bazetta were attached to Johnston, which formed a new election district.  The first election for the township was held in this township October 9, 1816, at the house of Abijah Perry, near the center.  Captain Jaqua was made chairman of the meeting, and Nathan Webb and Jared Hill judges.  The election resulted as follows: Jared Hill, clerk, Samuel Hine, Jr., David and John Jackson, trustees. Mr. Rose and Mr. Dawson, of Mecca and Bazetta, were among the officers elected.

Biographical Sketches,



     CAPTAIN JAMES BRADLEY and family were the first settlers of Johnston township.  Mr. Bradley was born in Connecticut June 18, 1755, died March 3, 181 7.  His wife, Asenath Bird, was born June 10, 1752, in Connecticut, and died June 10, 1832. They had three children — Thaddeus, Dr. M. B., and Dr. Ariel. Dr. Ariel

[Pg. 408]
Bradley was the first settled physician in Johnston township.  Thaddeus Bradley was born in Vermont February ii, 1787, died October 7, 1865.  He married Elizabeth Hine.  She was born in Connecticut February 16, 1790, and died February 13, 1867.  They had a family of six children — Mary, James D., Dr. Moor C, Lester, Timothy, and Myron.  James D. Bradley, the son of Thaddeus and Elizabeth Bradley, was born March 14, 1817, died March 11, 1875. He married February 8, 1859, Laura A. Minor, born February 17, 1831.  They have two children—Frank T. and Dudley A.  Dr. Moore Bird Bradley, the
second child of James and Asenath Bradley, was born in Vermont, May 2, 1790, died February 16, 1841.  He was the father of eight children.  Dr. Ariel Bradley, the third child of James and Asenath Bradley, was born in Vermont in July, 1792; died in Johnston township October 7, 1859.  He came to Ohio with his parents at the age of nine years, where he lived until his death. He studied medicine and was the first practitioner in Johnston township.  He was married in 1828 to Laura L. Barstow, daughter of Joseph and Betsey Barstow, both natives of Sharon, Connecticut. Laura was born in 1809, in Norway, New York, and came to Ohio with her parents in 1818 and settled in Johnston township where she still lives.  Her father was born in 1781, October 2, died at the age of eighty-eight years. Her mother was born in 1787, died aged seventy-seven years. Ariel and Laura Bradley had one child, Reumah, born in March, 1829, died in 1854.  She married Buell Pelton.  They had two daughters, Emma A., and Reumah. Emma was born in June, 1851.  Reumah was born in 1853.  Ariel Bradley served in the War of 181 2.  Mrs. Bradley was one of a family of eight, as follows: John, Laura, Wallace, Samuel, Emma, Mary A., Adaline, and one that died in infancy.

     GEORGE ROOT was born in Connecticut, 1789, died 1869.  He came to Ohio in a very early day and purchased land in Johnston township.  He returned to Connecticut and married Mary Johnston, born 1799, died 1853.  They had nine children, all dead but three.  Mr. and Mrs. Root were members of the Congregational church.  Shortly after their settlement their little log hut was burned and they were left without shelter in the wilderness.  Eunice C, the second child, was born in 181 9, in Connecticut, and came to Ohio with her parents and married in 1842, Giles L. Day, son of Giles and Hannah
.  He was horn October 30, 1815, in Vermont, and came to Ohio with his parents.  He died April 1, 1S79, after a lingering illness of twelve years.  They had six children. Maty R., deceased, Emma A., Cornelia R., Elvia V., Alvira, and Mary L.  Mr. Day was lieutenant of the home guard.  He was a member of the Disciple church for a number of years, then took up the faith of Spiritualism.  His parents came to Ohio about the year 1829.  They had a family of eleven children.  Giles L. and Eunice C. Day have six grandchildren.

     HEZEKIAH GREEN was born in Maryland in 1801, died in 1879.  He married in 1828 Comfort Burnett, born in Hubbard township in 1804, the first white child born in Hubbard township; is still living.  They had seven children. Seth, the second child, was born in 1832, and came to Johnston township with his parents in 1836.  He married in 1860 Miss Sophia Skinner, daughter of Sherman and Betsey Skinner.  She was born in Johnston township in 1840.  They had four children, Carrie, Lydia, Harley and ArbaMr. Green is a farmer.  Mr. and Mrs. Green are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mrs. Green's grandparents, James and Nancy Skinner, were the first settlers in Johnston township.  They came from Connecticut. Mr. Skinner was loved and esteemed by every one that knew him.

     REV. OZIAS EELLS came to Johnston township, Ohio, in March, 1827, and was soon employed to labor as a minister of the gospel.  He enjoyed the privilege to live in the pious family of Deacon Nathan Webb.  The house for public worship was constructed of hewed logs and stood on the northwest corner of the land in the center of the town.  In this house he officiated twice on the Sabbath and attended a prayer-meeting in the house of a member of the church in the course of the week.  He was influenced to locate in this locality on account of an expected donation of fifty acres of land, situated in Mecca, belonging to William Ely.  This land, which he received, together with fifty acres obtained at a vendue sale, was a great pecuniary help to him.  He visited the families and took a census of the town, and at that time there were sixty families.

[Pg. 409]
He was to some extent engaged in the instruction of the young, and prepared three young men to enter the Western Reserve college, at Hudson.  In addition to a subscription for the support of his work in Fowler, where he was also engaged to preach, assistance was furnished by a missionary society in Massachusetts. Mr. Eells says the church furnished suitable accommodations for him to live in a married state, and that a good Providence provided a suitable person for his wife, and they were married by Rev. Harvey Coe, of Vernon. He attended a meeting of the presbytery of Grand river, was examined and received as a member.  After preaching about six months he received a call to take the pastoral charge of the church in Johnston and another in Fowler.  The call was accepted and the installation services were held in Mr. Robert Morrow's house, Rev. Wells Andrews preaching the sermon.  In 1831 the presbytery appointed him to attend the general assembly in Philadelphia.  .After the establishment of Oberlin college and young men from that institution could be obtained to preach, some of the members were desirous of procuring the services of one of them and Mr. Eells was dismissed.  He accepted an invitation to preach in other towns and thus continued his ministerial labors.  After fifty years of married life his golden wedding was celebrated, on which occasion a large number of neighbors and friends assembled, and pleasant it was to all, and a number of valuable gifts were presented to the esteemed couple.

     TRUMAN BUELL was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, in 1784; died in 1867.  He was married in 1804 to Nancy Hinman.  She was born in 1785; died in 1866.  They had eight children— George, Ezra, Albert, Alban, David, Lorain, Mary, and Angeline. George, the oldest son, was born in 1809, in Litchfield, Connecticut, and died in Johnston December 27, 1869.  He married Mary Halcomb, of Connecticut.  She was born November 28, 1806, and died in Johnston in 1867.  She was the daughter of Amasa and Abigail HalcombGeorge Buell came with his family of four children to Johnston in 1846.  His children were as follows:  Truman S., George P., James K., and Mary L.   James K. was born December 31, 1842, and was married, in 1869, to Susan Moran, daughter of William and Elizabeth Moran.  She was born in Ireland.  They have three children—Georgiana, Mary V., and Carrie M.  Mrs. Susan Buell's parents, William and Elizabeth Moran, were born in Ireland, Leitrim county.  He was born in 1784, and died in the ninty-seventh year of his age; his wife was born in 1800, and died in her eightieth year.  The had nine children — John, Alice, Mary A., Robert S., Eliza, Jane, William B., Francis E., and Susan M.  They settled in Vernon in 1846.  Warren Buell was born August 13, 1800, in Hartford county, Connecticut.  He married, in 1823, Electa Squires, born in 1798 in Connecticut.  They came to Ohio in 1832, and settled in Johnston township, where they still reside.  They had seven children; six are living, and one died in infancy Daniel W., Harvey L., Wayne, Zenas W., Norris L., Celestia A. Mr. Buell is a blacksmith.  Harvey L., the second child, was born in Connecticut in 1827, and came to Ohio with his parents.  He was married April 23, 1862, to Elizabeth M. Tennant, daughter of William H. and Elizabeth Tennant, born in Scotland, May 25, 1845.  They have one daughter, Lizzie, born in 1869.  Mr. Buell is a general farmer, and has a farm of fifty acres. William Buell, son of Norman and Emily Buell, was born in 1823, in Connecticut.  He came to Ohio in 1841, and settled in Portage county, where he resided until 1851, then moved to Johnston township.  He married, in 1848, Harriet Curtis, of Geauga county, Ohio, born in 1825.  They have four children—Charles L., Mora (deceased), Ida, Franklin, and FrederickMr. Buell follows the lumber business. Mr. and Mrs. Buell are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

     MATTHEW MILLER (deceased) was a native of Ireland, born in 1732, emigrated to Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, about the year 1760; was a Revolutionary soldier; married in 1762, Margaret Corrnehan, and had a family of nine children, three boys and six girls, named as follow:  Robert, William, and Isaac; Jenny, Betsey, Nancy, Mary, Margaret, and Dorcas, all of whom lived to be married and raise families, except William, who lived in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, until 1814, when he moved to Millersburg, Holmes county, Ohio, where he died in 1817, at the age of eighty-five years. 

     ISSAC MILLER, deceased, son of Matthew Miller,

[Pg. 410]
was born in Greensburg, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, February 8, 1798; was married to Sophia Dabney, January 26, 1819; moved to Holmes county, Ohio, where he lived thirteen years, thence moved to Youngstown, Mahoning county, in January, 1832. May 1, 1850, he moved to Farmington, Trumbull county, and resided there until November, 1854, and then moved to Johnston township, where he died April 2, 1875.  He had a family of seven sons and five daughters: John, Lucinda, Robert, Nathaniel G., Margaret Mary, Elizabeth, Ebenezer D., William (first), Sophia, Catherine E., William (second), and Isaac J. Four are living and married; six died in childhood, and one in California in 1851, aged twenty-one years.  Nathaniel G. was married to Maria Reader about 1848; lived in Bristol township, Trumbull county, and died at the age of thirty-four years; had a family of four boys, viz: Isaac Jefferson, Frank R., Charles, Clinton; three of whom are married and one single.  Lucinda Miller was married to Jared Housel September 6, 1839, and lives in Farmington; has had a family of six children, five living and married, viz: Mary Jane, Isaac, George A., Sophia, and Ira.  Sylvanus died in the Union army at the age of nineteen years.  Margaret Miller was married to Ephraim Boon, and since then has lived in Gustavus township; has a family of three children, namely: Addie, Miller, and Thomas, of whom Addie and Thomas are married, and Miller is deceased. Catherine E. Miller was married to Frank B. Wood, August, 1857, and since has lived in Johnston township; 0has a family of three girls, one married and two single—Orissa A., Edna I., Maud E. Isaac J. Miller was married to Ella M. Fairchild, October 5, 1870, and has since resided in Johnston township, Trumbull county.  He has a family of four children, as follow: Jay E., Katie E., Arvine D., Isaac J.  The occupation of the sons and sons-in-law of the subject of this sketch is farming.

     ISAIAH BARTLETT, born in Plimpton, Plymouth county, Massachusetts, June 12, 1793, married Miriam Mason, born in Litchfield county, Connecticut, in 1795.  They resided in Litchfield until 1833, when they removed to Johnston, Trumbull county, Ohio, and settled where their son Robert now lives, and resided there until their death.  Mr. Bartlett died in 1S67; Mrs. Bartlett in 1870.  They had a family of five boys and three girls, as follows: Rev. P. M. Bartlett, president of Marysville (Tennessee) college; Jerusha (Jackson) deceased ; Lucius, now in Warren; Rev. Alexander M., professor of Greek and Latin in Marysville college; Mary E. (Leroy) in Kansas; Emma C. (Root), and Robert A., on the home place in Johnston, and S. F., in Warren.

     HARVEY SELLECK was born in Salisbury, Connecticut, in 1805, and came to Ohio in 1828 and settled in Johnston township.  He married Lucia Landon, born in Salisbury in 1805, died in 1871.  They had a family of two daughters, Samantha (deceased), and HarrietMr. and Mrs. Selleck are members of the Congregational church, being among the founders of the Congregational society of Johnston. Mr. Selleck is a general farmer.

     CHARLES W. BRINSMADE was born in Salisbury, Connecticut, in 1809.  He came to Ohio in 1850 with his family, and settled in Medina county.  He married Maria E. Lockwood, born June 12, 1813, died November 28, 1875.  They had a family of nine children, viz: A. F., Alonzo L., Charles P., George E., Almira P., Frances M., Wesley H., and two that died in infancy. A. F. Brinsmade was born in 1834, in Salisbury, Connecticut, and came to Ohio with his parents and married Harriet S. Selleck.  He is a farmer.

     DANIEL HINE was born in Litchfield county, Connecticut, in 1777; died in 1859.  He married Laura Finney, who was born in Connecticut in 1779, and died in 1850.  They came to Trumbull county and settled in Johnston township.  They brought with them two children — Josiah and Wealthy.  The remainder were born in Ohio, their names being Lester, Niram, Chancy, and Lucinda.  Mr. Hine was married again in 1852 to Mary Palmer, who was born in 1785, and died in 1870.   Mr. and Mrs. Hine were members of the first Congregational church.  He was a farmer.  His parents and four brothers followed him to Ohio. Lester, the third child, was born in Johnston township January 3, 1809.  He was married in 1860 to Eliza Bradley, who was born in Connecticut, and died in 1864.  Mr. Hine is a farmer. Josiah Hine was born May 23, 1803, and died July 26, 1879.  He was married March 5, 1848, to Desire B. Pitcher.  She was born January 27, 1822, in Norwich, Connecticut, and came with her parents to Ohio in

[Pg. 411]
1846, and settled in Johnston township.  They had five children, three of whom are living.  The first and second were twins, born in 1848, both now deceased. George, born in 1850, resides in Colorado; Mary E., born in 1852, resides at home; Daniel E., born in 1860, resides at home.

     ABIEL CRAM was born in New Hampshire in 1802, July 30th. His parents moved to Vermont and in 1817 came to Ohio, and settled in Monroe township, Ashtabula county, and in 1819 moved to Pennsylvania, where he was married, in 1827, to Sarah Madlam. She was born in Pennsylvania in 1810, and in 1865 came to Ohio and settled in Johnston township.  They had eight children; two died in infancy, two in youth: Mary, John, Horace, Sarah, Hannah, NancyJohn died in the army, shot May 21, 1861; was m company L, Sixteenth Pennsylvania cavalry.  The first, third, and fourth are living.  Mr. Cram was a farmer.  He died June 21, 1878.  His wife survives him.  They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Horace, the third child, was born September 30, 1832, in Pennsylvania. He married in 1858 Nancy Duffield. She was born in 1828, July 30.  They have two children, William A. and Sarah E.  Mr. Cram is a farmer.  They are members of the Methodist Protestant church.

     DAVID AILING, a native of Connecticut, married Clementine Judd, of Connecticut.  They came to Ohio in a very early day and settled in Vienna township, and afterwards moved to Johnston township.  They had seven children. Edward, the second child, was born in Connecticut in 1807, He married Charlotte Roberts, born in Connecticut in 1811.  They have three children, Luther, Lucius, and Charley. Mr. and Mrs.  Ailing are members of the Congregational church.  He is a general farmer. Luther, the first child, was born in Johnston township in 1833.  He married in 1854 Miss Jane Moran, daughter of Francis and Bridget Moran, born in Ireland in 1832. They have four children, Augustus, Estella, Frank,' and Alvia.  Mr. Ailing is in the saw-mill business, and also manufacturing pumps.

     THOMAS MILLIKIN was born in county Leitrim, Ireland, on the i6th day of May, in the year 1816; died in Johnston in the year 1875, December 19th.  He came to America in 1831, and in 1842 married Tamar Clark, daughter of John and Mary Clark. She was born in Pennsylvania December 4, 1818, and came to Ohio in 1840 and in 1842 came to Johnston township.  They have a family of eight children, all living:  George R., John C, Thomas J., Richard, James T., Charles W., Allen, and Mary E.   Mr. and Mrs. Millikin are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  He was a farmer; held the office of township trustee for several years.

     JAMES CURRIE was born in Scotland, where he died leaving a wife and nine children, who came to America in 1845, ^^'^ settled in Johnston township, Trumbull county.  Mrs. Currie's maiden name was Marian Hamilton.  The children were Catharine, Margaret, Alexander, Ellen, Marian, Jeannette, John, James, Isabelle.  Alexander and James reside in Johnston township and are unmarried.  They follow farming on a farm of two hundred and forty-one acres.  Alexander was born August 29, 1822, and James
in 1835.  They are extensive sheep raisers.

     REUBEN MOWREY was born in Connecticut in 1753, and died in Gustavus township in 1841.  He married Lucy Couch, born in 1755, died in 1839; they had ten children.  Isaac, the youngest child, was born May 9, 1800, and came to Ohio with his parents in 1812.  He married Betsey Pelton, born August 22, 1803.  They had ten children. Eunice, the fifth child, was born September 11, 1832, in Gustavus township, and married in 1854 T. A. Bradley.  They have one child, Mary P., born May 20, 1867.  They reside in Johnston township.

* A maker of cloth, formerly used.



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights