seventh township in the fourth range, is in the northern part of
Trumbull county, adjoining Ashtabula county. It lies between
Greene on the east and Mesopotamia on the west, and is north of
Bristol. The largest stream in the township is Grand river,
which enters near the southwestern corner, and pursues a general
northerly direction parallel to the western township line, crossing
the center road, and passing out of the township into Mesopotamia a
short distance north of this road. Several small streams,
tributaries of this river, drain the western portion of the
township. Baughman's creek enters the river in the
southwest; about a mile north of its mouth a small run empties, and
perhaps a half mile further, Center creek flowing west from its
headwaters in the tamarack swamp, adds its waters to those of the
river. North creek rises north of the center of the township, and
flowing southwesterly, joins the river near the township line.
Still another small creek, known as Haine's run, flows
through the northwestern portion of this township. The streams
are mainly in the western half of the township. A large
portion of the land in the eastern half is covered by the tamarack
swamp, which extends from north to south almost entirely across the
township, east of the Ashtabula & Pittsburg railroad. The
eastern and western portions—the tamarack swamp and the valley of
Grand river—are low-lying and wet. The river bottom is often
flooded by rains which appear to affect other localities much less.
Through the township from north to south extends a swell or ridge of
land rising gradually from the swampy regions on either side, and
generally very nearly level on its broad crest. The soil of
this slight elevation varies from sandy and gravelly loam on the
west to clay on the east. Along the turnpike are many fine
farms, with first-rate buildings and improvements. This is an
excellent farming region, well suited for wheat. Dairying and
sheep-raising are carried on quite profitably.
The township was late settled, and even now contains
but a small number of inhabitants, there being less than two hundred
voters. The tamarack swamp has not yet been subjugated, but
labor is now being expended upon it with a view toward making its
fertility and richness available for the farmer. When this
result has been accomplished the agricultural resources of
Bloomfield will be greatly enlarged. Another swamp in the
southwest of the township is the black ash swamp, containing three
or four hundred acres lying near Grand river. These swamps
have proved a drawback to Bloomfield, but they soon must yield,
subdued by the labor of the progressive agriculturist.
The only village in the township is the center, or, to
give its post-office address, North Bloomfield, situated a half mile
west of the geographical center. This is one of the
pleasantest rural villages in the county. Beautiful shade
trees line its streets, and a level grassy lawn of nearly five acres
in the center of the village lends additional beauty to the place.
Forty or fifty houses, three stores, and a few other shops, and two
churches are comprised in North Bloomfield.
[Page 385] -
Peter Chardon Brooks,
of Boston, was the proprietor of large tracts of land in this
portion of the Reserve and this township was held by him until 1814.
He then sold it to Ephraim Brown, of Westmoreland, New
Hampshire and Thomas Howe of Williamstown, Vermont.
Although the purchasers were of nearly the same age, Howe was
Brown's uncle and the playmate of his boyhood. It is
said that the first business transaction between the two took place
when the uncle and the nephew were both less than ten years of age,
and was of a most unique nature. Howe rented a hen of
Brown for the season, and, at the expiration of the time agreed
upon, returned her with half her chickens. Two or three years
after purchasing the township, Howe sold out to Brown,
reserving one thousand acres in the southern part.
after purchasing Howe and Brown engaged S. I.
Ensign, of Mesopotamia, to survey this township - not an easy
task, considering the then swampy condition of the land. The
township is divided into one hundred and seventy lots, containing
from fifty to one hundred acres each. These lots are numbered
from north to south, beginning with lot one in the northwestern
corner of the township
THE FIRST SETTLER.
LEMAN FERRY, of Brookfield, Vermont,
started for his new home in the western wilds about the 10th day of
January, 1815, and reached his destination about the 20th of
February following. He started with two teams, one sled drawn
by two yoke of oxen, the other a sleigh drawn by a span of horses.
The teams conveyed his household goods and his family. Mr.
Ferry was accompanied by his hired man, Mrs. Ferry,
and two sons and three daughters. When west of Buffalo it was found
impracticable to proceed further with the ox-sled on account of the
scantiness of snow. Therefore Mr. Ferry
exchanged the sled for a wagon and continued his journey, but kept
the sleigh along, the horses dragging it over bale ground much of
the way. He entered this township from the northward,
guided only by spotted trees in the latter part of his journey.
There was then no house between Rome center and Bristol township,
and no road through Bloomfield. Arriving in the vicinity of
his purchase Mr. Ferry found shelter for his family in
a deserted log cabin situated just over the line in Bristol, until
he had time to erect a shanty upon his own land. Leman
Ferry, Jr., his oldest son, was at this time twenty-one
years old, and with his assistance and that of the hired man a
comfortable dwelling was soon finished. At first no chimney
was built, but a smoke-hole was cut through the roof instead.
The fire was built against the green logs in the end of the room
until these were burned away somewhat, then a kind of stone
fire-place was made by heaping up stones against the logs.
Here the family lived and worked. When spring came, a number
of men came on to make clearings, and as many as twenty at a time
boarded at the house of Mrs. Ferry. Benches made of
split or hewn logs were ranged found the room for seats, and at
night beds were made up on the floor. Mr. Ferry had
never built a log-house before this, and therefore was not
especially skilled in that kind of carpentry; and the roof of the
building, which was covered by "shakes," or long shingles, held down
by weight-poles, was not properly constructed. One day Mr.
Ferry's son Noble, then a small boy, climbed upon the
roof to rescue a cat which had got up there and was afraid to come
down. When he was about midway of the building, the whole roof
suddenly started, shingles, and weight-poles all together, and
carried the boy to the ground, burying him in the debris. The
hired man, who was chopping wood back of the house, saw the fall and
with the assistance of young Leman Ferry soon
extricated the bruised and frightened child. Fortunately no
bones were broken, and the victim of the accident still lives to
relate the incident.
The summer following his arrival and
settlement Mr. Ferry returned ton Conneaut, where he had left
his sled, taking back the wagon he had purchased in order to reach
Bloomfield. The wagon he sold for six barrels of salt at $10
per barrel, hauled the salt home on the sled, and sold it out to the
settlers at the price he had paid.
Leman Ferry died in 1825, aged sixty.
Mrs. Ferry lived to reach her ninetieth year.
They were the parents of seven children, of whom the youngest five
came to Ohio with them. The children were Editha (Pinney)
The spring and summer after
Mr. Ferry's settlement a number of others came and began
improving their farms, and a few brought their families during that
year. In the spring of 1815 Willard Crowell, Israel
Proctor, Samuel Eastman, and David Comstock came to this
township from Vermont on foot.
EPHRAIM BROWN, from
Cheshire county, New Hampshire, was one of the first settlers and
most prominent citizens. He settled at the center in 1815, in
a log cabin built a short time previously by Major Howe.
The site of the cabin is now covered by the residence of his son,
E. A. Brown. Ephraim Brown married Mary B. Huntington,
and at the time of their arrival in the township their family
consisted of four children; five were afterwards born to them.
The names of the children were Ephraim Alexander, George W.,
Mary, Charles, Elizabeth H., James M., Marvin H., Fayette, and
Anne F. E. A. Brown now resides upon the old homestead.
He was in business in Pittsburg from 1829 to 1845, principally as a
wholesale dry goods merchant. George W. died in
Bloomfield; Mary (Wing) still lives in the township as
also Elizabeth; Charles died in Georgia in 1880; James
died in Massillon; Marvin resides in Painesville, and
Fayette in Cleveland, Annie F. in Bloomfield.
Ephraim Brown died in 1845, and his widow in 1862. Mr.
Brown was the first postmaster, the first merchant, and the
second justice of the peace. With Major Howe, and
Judge Austin, of Austinburg, he was among the originators of the
Warren and Ashtabula turnpike.
CLISBY was the
second settler at the center, arriving soon after
DAVID COMSTOCK, who came in 1815, worked for Major Howe, and
was noted as one of the greatest wood-choppers of all time. He
married a sister of William McClintock and settled in the
northern part of the township, afterwards moving to the center.
They had no children. Mrs. Comstock was a resolute
woman, and probably such a frightful creature as a mouse, which is
now capable of frightening ladies nearly to death, had no terrors
for her. In her husband's absence she kept house, and one day
when a bear attacked a hog in the pen, she took down the rifle, went
out and succeeded in driving the intruder away, though she could not
AMASA BIGELOW, a brother of
Mrs. Leman Ferry, settled near Ferry in1816. His son
Elijah made the first improvements upon the place. The
four sons were Daniel, Timothy, Amasa, and Elijah.
Amasa and Elijah did not reside permanently in
Bloomfield. Daniel and Timothy passed their
lives here. One daughter, Jemima, married John Weed.
early settler in the northern part of the township west of the
turnpike. He married Sophia Meecham, of Greene
township. He was a most eccentric character.
AND CYRIL GREEN
came to the township
in 1815, and settled on lot forty-six. Jared was then
unmarried. Cyril married Polly Sherman and she
came with him. Cyril lived until 1874, when he died in
his eighty-first year. He was favorably known as an
enterprising, public-spirited man. Two years after the arrival
of Jared and Cyril Green, their father, Jared Green,
came out and settled. Besides the two above mentioned, his
sons were Charles, Noah, Marcus, and Archibald.
Charles returned East; Jared, Jr., moved north;
Archibald is still a resident of the township. One
daughter, Julia (Whitcomb) moved away.
In 1817 THOMAS
Williamstown, Vermont, brought his family to this township, and
settled in the southern part on lot eighty-five. He was born
in Westmoreland, New Hampshire, in 1799, and in early life was a
merchant. He carried on that business successfully a number of
years in Williamstown. His wife, Clarissa, was born in
Woodstock, Connecticut. Both were esteemed and honored
throughout their lives. They had five children, all born in
Vermont- Clarissa (Wilder), Thomas M., Dr. George W., Nancy
(Green), and William H. Thomas M. and Mrs. Green
are dead. The others all reside in Bloomfield. There was
not a death in the Howe family until the youngest child was
forty-six years old. Thomas M. lived in Pittsburg, and
represented his district in Congress several terms. Dr.
George W. has been a Representative to the Legislature,
following in the footsteps of his father, and has held other
HEZEKIAH HOWE came
from Vermont in company with Asa Works, in 1817, and settled
on lot sixty-five, where he still lives. He is now in the
ninety-sixth year of his age. None of his sons now reside in
1817, where his only son Nelson now resides, on lot
AARON SMITH, about
1816, settled in the south of the township. Soon after his
arrival he built a frame house, the first in the township. It
is still standing, but has been removed to Bristol. Mr.
Smith's only child, a daughter, married Leonard Osborn
and lives in Michigan.
MAYHEW CROWELL settled about a half a mile north of the center in 1815. His
wife, Mehitabel (Howe) Crowell, died Sept. 20, 1817, being
the first death in the township. Her daughter, Harriet
was the first child born in the township. The Crowell
family included five sons, and three daughters, who arrived at
mature years. All are now dead. Their names were as
follows: Willard, Obadiah, Henry, Thomas, Roswell, Mehitabel
(Bellows), Mercy and Mary (Butler). Charles Thayer
settled in the northwest of the township about the year 1816.
None of the family now remain in Bloomfield. One son, Hiram,
resides in Bristol.
JOHN BELLOWS, about
the same time, located one mile northwest of the center. One
of his sons, Dr. Bellows, now resides in Michigan.
William moved to Chagrin Falls. None are left here.
The elder Mr. Bellows engaged in brickmaking quite early.
His brother Benjamin resided a while in this township.
was a blacksmith and had a shop near Brown's
mill. He made axes and scythes. One of his
children was drowned in the mill-race about the second day after he
came here to settle. Two or three years later an eight
year-old son was drowned in the river. This so disheartened
the parent that he gave up his business and moved away.
This we believe, about completes mention of the Vermont
families who made the early settlement.
Later, a number of English families established homes in the
township. This class now forms more than half the population.
They are industrious, thrifty, and excellent citizens.
MR. WILLIAM HAINE was among the
first of the English settlers of the township, and still resides
ORGANIZATION OF FIRST OFFICERS.
was organized by a special act of the Legislature, and received its
present name in 1816. The first township officers were chosen on the
9th of April, 1817, at an election held at the house of Ephraim
Brown and were as follows: Aaron Smith, chairman;
Leman Ferry and Jared Green, judges of election;
township clerk; Jared Kimball, David Comstock, and Leman
Ferry, trustees; Mayhew Crowell and Timothy Bigelow,
overseers of the poor; Leman Ferry, Jr., and Lewis Clisby,
fence viewers; Jared Green, Jr., and John Weed,
appraisers of property; Jared Green, Jr., lister; Jared
Kimball, treasurer; Samuel Teed, constable; Mayhew
Crowell and Leman Ferry, supervisors.
ANECDOTES AND INCIDENTS.
The following stories relative to early days in this township
are taken mainly from a published historical sketch by Mr. George
Many interesting incidents of early
times are still remembered by the children of the early settlers,
now gray-haired sires and grandsires, some of which deserve a place
The cows and hogs, while the settlers were commencing
operations upon their farms, had nowhere to run except in the woods.
The hogs were allowed much liberty during the summer, and in the
fall as many of them as could be found were brought in and comfined
in rail pens to be fattened. But usually some of them would
escape, and thus, in a comparatively short time, wild and ferocious
hogs inhabited the forests; and when they had attained five or six
years growth, their huge tusks and savage natures rendered them
about as formidable as any wild beasts of the time. “Hunting
the wild boar,” the sport of the feudal and middle ages, so
celebrated in the pages of song and romance, was occasionally
revived here in the wilds of Ohio, and often many joined in it.
Not unfrequently some unfortunate modern Adonis, would find himself
too closely pursued and be compelled to take refuge in a tree to
Mr. N. B. Ferry relates that often, when a boy,
while hunting for the cows his dog would start a wild hog whose
squealing would arouse others and attract them to the spot; and soon
they would collect in such force as to drive him to a tree for
safety, while the dog used every effort to keep from being rended in
pieces by his savage pursuers.
TREED BY WOLVES.
One evening when Mr. N. B. Ferry was a boy he was out
hunting for the cows, and not returning as soon as usual, his father
started out to find him. Being unsuccessful in his search, he
was returning to the house, and when within a short distance of it
he was startled by the howling of wolves. Fearing that he
would not be able to reach his home, he climbed a tree and shouted
for help. Several men who were boarding at his house each
seized a gun and hastened to the spot. The wolves were easily
frightened away. It was afterwards learned that they were not
at first in pursuit of Mr. Ferry. Jared
Green had killed a deer that day and dragged it home;
The wolves were following up the trail, and as Mr. Ferry
unconsciously took the same course, they turned their attention to
TRAPPING A BEAR.
One night a cow belonging to Mr. Howe came up
without her calf, to which she had given birth during the day.
She was fastened for the night, and in the morning loosed, and the
boys were directed to follow her as she would be sure to proceed to
the spot where the calf had been left. The cow, on being
untied, went some distance into the woods, and at length, coming to
a clump of bushes, stopped and began lowing. This spot was
undoubtedly the place where the calf had been left, but now it
nowhere appeared. Traces of blood, and a trail where the calf
had been dragged, pointed plainly to its fate. Following this
trail a short distance, the boys found a portion of the carcass
placed between two trees and covered over with leaves. They
returned and related what they had seen to Mr. Norton,
who had quite a reputation as a bear trapper. According he set
a trap near the spot, and awaited developments. The next
morning the trap was sprung, but the bear was not in it. The remains
of the calf were gone, too, and for some distance, no trail was
found. Mr. Norton directed that search be made
in a circuit of some distance around the spot, as he believed that
the bear would carry his burden a short distance, and then drag it.
He was correct in his knowledge of the habits of the bear, and soon
the trail was found. After following it up, they discovered
the remaining portion of the carcass where it had again been
deposited and covered with leaves. Here Norton set two
traps, attaching heavy clogs to them.
Next morning young Howe found the ground around
the spot torn up as though a drove of hogs had been there. One
of the traps had
been sprung, but the bear had managed to get his foot out of it.
The other had gone and with it he clog. Following the course
which the bear had taken a short distance, Howe soon heard
the sharp clink of the trap against the stones in the creek bottom
near by. Norton then came up, and put his dogs on the
trail. Soon their barking was heard, and hastening on the
hunters found the bear endeavoring to climb a tree with the trap on
one of his fore paws. Hindered by this and by the dogs, he soon
fell, shot by the rifles of the men. He weighed over four
hundred pounds, and was well worth the trouble it had cost to
HOWE'S DOG ARGUS.
RESCUE OF SLAVES
As the people of Bloomfield
were returning home from church one quiet Sabbath afternoon in the
month of September, 1823, a negro with a woman and two children was
seen on the turnpike. They appeared nearly worn out with much
travel and almost ready to lie down and die. Those who saw
them supposed, of course, that they were fugitive slaves, but
communicated their suspicions to no one. About dark three men,
the slave-owner, his son, and an attendant, rode up to the door of
the tavern in the village, and inquired if the negroes had been
seen. They were informed that they had gone on a short
distance. The landlord advised the strangers to tarry with him
all night, as they could easily overtake the objects of their
pursuit in the morning. Having traveled very far that day and
being much wearied, they consented. The slave-hunters retired
early, asking the landlord to call them as early as possible in the
morning. When it became known in the village that
slave-hunters were at the tavern, the greatest excitement prevailed.
The will to have the negroes escape was strong, and 'Squire Brown,
hacked by the public sentient of almost the entire community devised
a plan to effect this result. He sent his covered wagon and a
party of willing men, under cover of darkness, to overtake the
runaways. About twelve miles from Bloomfield, in Rome,
Ashtabula county, they learned that the objects
of their search had been secreted in a certain house. They
rode up to it, and on making known their object to its owner, were
repulsed and ordered off his premises. Considerable
expostulation and explanation ensued before he could be made to
understand that their mission was a friendly one. But when
satisfied of the sincerity of their intentions he allowed the
Bloomfield men to take the negro family into the wagon. They
then conveyed them south a short distance to a tavern kept by a
Mr. Crowell, with a barn standing back of it in a field.
Into this barn the wagon was driven and the doors securely closed.
Now let us go back to the Bloomfield tavern.
Morning dawned, but for some inexplicable(?) reason the landlord and
his family were not awake as soon as usual. In fact, the first
to awake and arouse the household was the slave-owner. The
landlord apologized; didn't know when such a thing as his
oversleeping had happened before; said he was much ashamed of
himself; and so on. He tried to dress, but one boot was
missing. After much search it turned up in some unusual place.
Then he proceeded to the barn; the door was locked and he had left
the key in the house. Back to the house and then to the barn;
the key didn't fit, and much time was wasted in unlocking the door.
At length this was accomplished, and the horses were led out.
Another discovery - each animal had lost a shoe and besides the hoof
of one of them was badly broken. The owners thought the shoes
of the horses were all right the night before; at least they had not
noticed that any were missing. But they were missing now -
that was evident, and the services of the village blacksmith were
required before the impatient Virginians could proceed on their
journey. Mr. Barnes, the smith, was not at his shop,
and it required some time to hunt him up. Usually he was at
his post early - a model of promptness. After he was found he
had trouble in unlocking the door, and succeeded poorly in making a
fire. He had not a nail in his shop, and used his last shoes
in a job which he did the previous Saturday evening. Nails and
shoes had to be made, but the blacksmith appeared in no hurry.
At last the horses were shod, and about 9 o'clock the slave hunters
started off. About noon they drove up to the tavern in front
of the barn where the wagon and the fugitives were. Through
the cracks in the barn the happy negro family saw their pursuers
start on. A little later the covered wagon emerged from
its hiding place and returned to Bloomfield. Under the
direction of 'Squire Brown a shelter for the fugitives had
been prepared - a rude camp constructed between the roots of two
upturned trees. Here the negroes remained being supplied with
food by the kind-hearted people of Bloomfield until all danger was
past. Then there were brought to a log cabin near the center,
where they resided for some time, the man being employed by
'Squire Brown. At length they were put on a vessel at
Ashtabula harbor and reached Canada in safety.
When the slave-hunters returned to Bloomfield, after a
fruitless search north of this place, they were arrested on a
warrant charging them with having run a toll-gate north of Warren.
Supposing that the objects of their pursuit would take the State
road to Painesville instead of continuing on up the pike, they had
paid toll only to the former road. They were fined five
dollars each and costs. The village tavern-keeper refused to
admit them, or to feed their horses. Some malicious
mischief-maker removed the hair from the tails and mains of the
horses while the owners of the team were at 'Squire Kimball's
house, and pinned to one of the saddles a notice containing the
For sincerely we swear
That if again here
You ever appear,
We'll give you the coat
Of a Tory to wear.
This slave rescue was the
first of a series of similar acts in which prominent citizens of
Bloomfield took an active part. After the underground railroad
was put in operation, it received sympathy and support fro the good
people of this region. Though there was hostility to the
Abolitionists, and though liberal rewards were offered for the
return of slaves to their owners, there never was, so far as known,
an instance in which a runaway was betrayed.
The first Child born
in this township was Harriet Crowell. The first male
child was Charles Thayer.
The first death was that of
Crowell, in 1817; the second, that of Mrs. Hannah
Brown, Apr. 28, 1818.
The first marriage ceremony was performed by Lyman
Potter, Esq., of Bristol, in uniting John Weed and
The first sermon was preached by Mr. Cole,
missionary, in Ferry's cabin in 1815. Mr. Badger,
Congregationalist, preached soon after.
The first sermon by a Methodist minister was preached
in 1817 by Rev. Ira Eddy, in Mr.
Thayer's house. Before any church was organized persons of
different denominations united in holding meetings, where professors
of religion offered prayer, and in the absence of a minister sermons
were read and hymns were sung by those attending.
AARON SMITH, was the first carpenter
in the township, and in 1817 built for Ephraim Brown a
saw-mill on Grand river, about two miles from the center. In
1819 a grist-mill was built upon the same stream, and managed by
Leman Ferry, Jr., the first miller. This mill was in
operation many years, with many changes in its ownership. It
was in a bad site, and the cost of keeping up a dam was
ASA LAW built for Mr.
Brown a saw-mill on Center brook at an early day, about a half
mile from the center.
mill, in the northern part of the township, was built for him in
1855 by N. B. Ferry.
THE FIRST STORE.
in the township was started by
Ephraim Brown in 1816. He brought on a stock of goods from
Boston, and having more than he could sell disposed of a part of
them at Warren to Mr. Bentley. He built the
store in Bloomfield, which is now French's shoe shop, and
continued the mercantile business a number of years. Indians
were sometimes his customers, trading venison for whiskey, tobacco,
and other articles. A gallon of whiskey would purchase a side
of nice venison.
WILLIAM A. OTIS was the second
merchant. He made a good start here, removed to Cleveland and
became a prominent and wealthy man. He came to Bloomfield
about 1823. His son, Hon. Charles Otis, is an ex-mayor
THE VILLAGE MOTEL.
Samuel and John Teed undertook the building of this house,
but as they had not the money to finish the work, they sold out to
'Squire Brown, who moved in and kept the house a year
or so, while his own residence was building. In 1823 Milo
Harris succeeded as landlord and remained several years.
Soon after the
settlement of the township Dr. Reynolds, of
Mesopotamia, came here to practice. The population of the
township being small, he found this an unpromising field and removed
after a short stay.
Dr. Benjamin Palmer
next came, as early as 1824,
and practiced twenty years or more with distinguished success.
He was a New Hampshire man, well educated. The surrounding
townships having no physicians, he had a wide field for usefulness,
and built up a large practice.
He left here having gained quite a large property for a country
The next physician was
Dr. Hartman, now
of Baltimore, Maryland. Other physicians have been quite
numerous, as there has always been a doctor in the township since
Dr. Palmer located.
Dr. G. W. Howe practiced in Bloomfield from 1847
till 1867. At the latter date he was appointed surgeon of the
Pittsburg & Boston Mining company, and went to Lake Superior. Dr.
A. O. Huntly assumed his practice, and is still continuing it
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
THE CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
THE DISCIPLES' CHURCH
The chief burying place in
this township is the cemetery near the center. One acre of
ground was given to the township by 'Squire Brown, and
additional ground has since been purchased. The cemetery is a
beautiful spot, thickly shaded by evergreens and other ornamental
trees. Interments were made at an early day, and here repose
the pioneers, their life struggles ended.
Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife,
Their sober wishes never learned to stray;
Along the cool, sequestered vale of life
They kept the noiseless tenor of their way.
In the northern part of the township, a small piece
of land was purchased and laid out as a graveyard. But few
interments have been made here.
stores, William C. Savage, D. W. Smith, and
J. W. Haine.
Post-office, George W. Howe.
Hardware, tinware, and furniture, T. J. Sealey.
Harness shop, R. Welchman.
Manufacturer of wind-mills, H. F. Headley.
Cheese factories: Center Brook factory, center,
Kincaid & Little.
Clover Hill factory, north part of the township,
George E. Haine.
Grist-mill: William Haine, in the north
of the township.
Steam saw-mills: Russell & Ackley, east
of the center, and A. Canfield in the north.
Hay-bailing: Steets & Davis, east of the
Rural lodge No.
328, North Bloomfield, was granted a charter Oct. 17, 1860.
The following were the charter members: James Peirson, Horace
Flower, George W. Howe, Chester Howard, Benjamin Cutter, Alvin A.
House, Beriah Hill, Sumner Stoughton, Lucius S. Ball, William
Harrington, Walker M. Price, and George W. Harrington.
The lodge had been working under a dispensation from Dec. 22, 1858.
The lodge has steadily prospered
ever since it was formed. At one time two hundred and eighty
members belonged, but the organization of lodges in neighboring
places caused several to withdraw, so that now only about seventy
members are included in Rural lodge. The building in which the
hall is, is owned by the lodge. They have pleasant rooms
tastefully furnished, and are in excellent financial condition.
ROAD AND RAILROAD FACILITIES.
JOHN SMITH was born Feb. 2, 1800, in
Warwick, Massachusetts. His wife, Julia Ann Smith,
nee Wright, was born at Northampton, Massachusetts,
Sept. 4, 1806. They were married Dec. 31, 1829. Mr.
Smith came to Ohio in an early day, and settled in Bloomfield
township, south of the center. He cleared up a good farm, and
lived upon it till his death. He died Nov. 17, 1868; Mrs.
Smith died Apr. 16, 1870. Farming was Mr.
Smith's occupation. He was well known as a surveyor:
was justice of the peace many years, also town clerk. Mr.
and Mrs. Smith were members of the Congregational church,
formerly Presbyterian. There were four children in his family
— Cornelia, born May 8, 1831; Justin E., born Oct. 25,
1832; Dwight W., Oct. 28, 1835; Mary Elizabeth, Oct.
2, 1839; all born in Bloomfield. Justin is deceased ;
he died Feb. 2, 1862, in hospital at Cincinnati.
DWIGHT SMITH, son of
John Smith, was born
[Page 395] -
in Bloomfield, Oct. 28, 1835. He has always resided in the
township; followed farming till 1872, then went into the mercantile
business at the center. He was married May 28, 1856, to
Miss Mary Richelieu, daughter of William P. Richelieu, of
Scotland. William P. Richelieu was born Nov. 5, 1805,
in Scotland. Mrs. Richelieu was born May 28, 1817, in
Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had five children -
John W., born Apr. 10, 1857; Lazette and Lafayette
(twins) born Mar. 28, 1858; Martha C., Apr. 8, 1864;
Justin D., Oct. 14, 1868. Lazette, died Aug. 30,
1873; Lafayette, Sept. 6, 1858. Mr. and Mrs. Smith,
also two of the children, are members of the Congregational church.
HON. THOMAS HOWE
was born in Westmoreland, New Hampshire, on the first day of Feb.
ruary, 1779. His opportunities for acquiring an education were
meagre; however, he improved the chances presented him to the best
possible advantage. Early in life he devoted himself to
mercantile pursuits, and eventually settled in Williamstown, Orange
county, Vermont, where he carried on the business of a merchant
successfully. In 1817 he moved with his family to Bloomfield,
Ohio, a family comprising wife and five children; his wife survived
the subject of our sketch about one year, and the children are all
living. Clarissa, wife of Thomas Howe,
was born in Woodstock, Connecticut. She was a woman of exalted
virtue and unbounded benevolence, exerting a Christian influence on
all with whom she had intercourse. Her memory is treasured by
her children. The late Hon. Thomas Howe several times
represented Trumbull county in the Ohio Legislature, honorably to
himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. He lived
to be an octogenarian, and his whole life was one of exceeding
worth, and fit for emulation by the youth and middle-aged, and even
by those made venerable by the gray hairs of many years. The
noblest tribute that either poet, sage, or sophist could not excel,
is that expressed by his son, who has said that “he remembered no
word or action of his lamented father he would wish changed for his
DR. G. W. HOWE, son of
Hon. T. Howe, was born in Williamstown, Vermont, Dec. 21,
1809. He was favored with the advantages for acquiring a good
education, and he wisely improved the passing time. In the
year 1817 he came to Bloomfield. During two winter seasons he
taught school. Sept. 25, 1832, he was united in marriage to Miss
Julia A. Austin; from this union six children have been born;
three are living. Mr. Howe studied medicine with
Dr. Benjamin Palmer; followed his profession forty-four
years; from 1862 to 1865 he was surgeon of board of enrollment; near
the close of the service he received a communication from the
assistant provost-marshal-general, certifying that the skill and
fidelity manifested in the discharge of his official duties were
highly creditable to himself, and deserving special commendation;
that there was only one surgeon that stood as high as himself.
Dr. Howe has twice represented his people in the Ohio
WILLIAM H. HOWE was
born Jan. 5, 1817, in Williamstown, Vermont. His father,
Thomas Howe, was one of the original owners of the township.
Mr. William Howe came to Ohio with his father in 1817.
In 1832 he went to Pittsburg where he was engaged in mercantile
business till 1845. He then went to Michigan and was among the
first miners of copper about Lake Superior. He remained here
two years, then returned to Bloomfield and went into business for
his brother George. In 1864 Mr. Howe returned to
Lake Superior and was engaged in mining seven years. During
the war he was clerk in the provost office at Warren. In 1871
he went to Corry, Pennsylvania, where he was an overseer in a
manufactory of pails, tubs, etc., for five years, then returned to
Bloomfield township, where he has since resided. He was
married in 1850 to Miss Malvina Flower, daughter of Hiram
Flower, of Bloomfield. They have had nine children,
four of whom are living. Mrs. Howe is a member of the
ASA WORKS, an early settler of
Bloomfield township, was born in 1775 in Richmond township, New
Hampshire. He came to Ohio in 1817 and settled in Bloomfield
upon the farm now occupied by his son, Nelson Works.
He purchased two hundred acres of Brown & Howe.
The county was an unbroken wilderness at this time. Asa
Works died in 1826, March 3d, aged fifty-one years.
There were four children in his family—Nelson, Sophia,
and Martha. Sophia is deceased. Mr.
Works was a hatter by trade. Mrs. Works
died Sept. 28, 1862, aged seventy-nine years. Mr.
Works was a member of the Bible Christian church. Mrs.
Works is a member of the Disciple church. Mr.
Nelson Works has always lived in the township since he was six
years old. Farming has been his chief business. He
married Miss Delia Cleveland, daughter of
William Cleveland, of Aurora. He had two children by his
first marriage—Ellen A. and Laura J. Mrs.
Works died Jan. 25, 1852. Mr. Works was
married again Jan. 19, 1854, to Miss Harriet A. Booth,
daughter of Peter Booth, of Greene township. She
was born Oct. 20, 1823. Mr. Nelson Works
was born Dec. 15, 1811, in Williamstown, Vermont. His family
consisted of three children–Charles N., Lilian M., John B.
Mr. and Mrs. Works are members of the Disciple
church. Politically Mr. Works is a sound
Republican. At the present time Charles is teaching in
Youngstown; Lilian attending school at Hiram; John is
at home; Ellen is teaching at Niles, and Laura is the
wife of Dr. Ferrey, of Bloomfield.
an old resident of Bloomfield township, was born in Somersetshire,
England, Feb. 8, 1806. His father, John Haine,
was a native of England and lived and died in the old country.
Mr. William Haine sailed from England Apr. 11,
1835, landing on Prince Edward island after a passage of about
thirty days. He soon went to Pictou, Nova Scotia, then to
Castine, Maine, from there to Boston, from Boston to Ohio, where he
had two sisters living in Bloomfield township, Trumbull county,
Mr. Haine purchased one hundred and fifty acres of land
of George Huntington, of Painesville, though the
original deed was from Squire Brown. Mr.
Haine began in the woods, or about the same, as there was but
a small clearing in which he started. He has cleared
most of his present farm by his own hard labor. He was married
Apr. 11, 1836, to Miss Mary Haine, daughter of Joseph and
Sarah Haine, of Somersetshire, England. They have had ten
children - William J., Sarah, Lottie, Emma,
George, Ellen, John, Clara, Charles,
and Ellen (deceased). Mr. and Mrs. Haine are
members of the Methodist Church, also the children.
Politically Mr. Haine is a Republican
Apr. 12, 1810, in Bristol township. His father, William,
was an early settler in Trumbull county. Mr. John
Sager spent his entire life in Bristol and Bloomfield townships.
He came to the latter in 1835 and settled upon the farm where his
widow and daughter now live. The farm was formerly owned by
George Norton. The many improvements now apparent
have all been made by Mr. Sager. He was married
Apr. 12, 1835, to Miss Louisa Moffat, daughter of
Hosea Moffat, of Bristol township. She was born
July 11, 1816, in Orleans county, New York. They have had
seven children—Mary, Martin, Sarah, Albert,
Edwin, Sophronia, and Ella. Mr.
Sager died Apr. 2, 1881. Martin was killed at
Malvern Hill, Virginia, July 28, 1864. He was in company A,
Sixth Ohio cavalry. Sophronia died Dec. 20, 1850. Ellen
died May 29, 1871. Mr. John Sager was a member of the
Disciple church, also Mrs. Sager and children.
ISRAEL O. PROCTOR
JOSEPH KNOWLES WING
EPHRM BROWN ]
MARY R. BROWN ]
WILLIAM C. SAVAGE
ARTHUR V. CROUCH was born in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 2, 1827, oldest son of
George and Mary Crouch. George Crouch, born in Washington
county, Pennsylvania, in 1804, was a resident of Trumbull county
some ten years. He married, in 1826, Mary, daughter of
Arthur Van Wye, who was a pioneer in Weathersfield, where he
settled about 1802. He was a soldier form Trumbull county in
the War of 1812. Mrs. Crouch was born in Weathersfield
in 1806 and died in 1848. A. V. Crouch in earlier years
followed school-teaching some eight or ten years. Was a
resident of Pittsburg some time where he was deputy county treasurer
in 1858. From 1859 to 1874 he was connected with the Pittsburg
Plow works, removing to Green, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1863, and
conducting a branch business there, at the same time being engaged
in farming and dairying. In April, 1881, he removed to
Bloomfield, where he still resides. In 1858 he married
Jennie F. McVey, who died in 1862. In 1864 he
married Mrs. Mary F. Lewis, daughter of Captain Archibald
Green, of Bloomfield, where she was born in 1842, and has six
children, as follows: Martin L., Mary F., Florence M.,
Arthur V., Jr., Archibald G. and John B. Mr. Crouch
was elected county commissioner for Trumbull county in 1878 and
re-elected in 1881.
L. WELLINGTON MEARS
RETURN TO TABLE
OF CONTENTS >