A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy

 History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, Ohio
Published:  Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bros.

Trumbull County, Ohio
Pg. 384

     Bloomfield, the seventh township in the fourth range, is in the northern part of Trumbull county, adjoining Ashtabula county.  It lies between Greene on the east and Mesopotamia on the west, and is north of Bristol.  The largest stream in the township is Grand river, which enters near the southwestern corner, and pursues a general northerly direction parallel to the western township line, crossing the center road, and passing out of the township into Mesopotamia a short distance north of this road.  Several small streams, tributaries of this river, drain the western portion of the township.  Baughman's creek enters the river in the southwest; about a mile north of its mouth a small run empties, and perhaps a half mile further, Center creek flowing west from its headwaters in the tamarack swamp, adds its waters to those of the river. North creek rises north of the center of the township, and flowing southwesterly, joins the river near the township line.  Still another small creek, known as Haine's run, flows through the northwestern portion of this township.  The streams are mainly in the western half of the township.  A large portion of the land in the eastern half is covered by the tamarack swamp, which extends from north to south almost entirely across the township, east of the Ashtabula & Pittsburg railroad.  The eastern and western portions—the tamarack swamp and the valley of Grand river—are low-lying and wet.  The river bottom is often flooded by rains which appear to affect other localities much less.  Through the township from north to south extends a swell or ridge of land rising gradually from the swampy regions on either side, and generally very nearly level on its broad crest.  The soil of this slight elevation varies from sandy and gravelly loam on the west to clay on the east.  Along the turnpike are many fine farms, with first-rate buildings and improvements.  This is an excellent farming region, well suited for wheat.  Dairying and sheep-raising are carried on quite profitably.
     The township was late settled, and even now contains but a small number of inhabitants, there being less than two hundred voters.  The tamarack swamp has not yet been subjugated, but labor is now being expended upon it with a view toward making its fertility and richness available for the farmer.  When this result has been accomplished the agricultural resources of Bloomfield will be greatly enlarged.  Another swamp in the southwest of the township is the black ash swamp, containing three or four hundred acres lying near Grand river.  These swamps have proved a drawback to Bloomfield, but they soon must yield, subdued by the labor of the progressive agriculturist.
     The only village in the township is the center, or, to give its post-office address, North Bloomfield, situated a half mile west of the geographical center.  This is one of the pleasantest rural villages in the county.  Beautiful shade trees line its streets, and a level grassy lawn of nearly five acres in the center of the village lends additional beauty to the place.  Forty or fifty houses, three stores, and a few other shops, and two churches are comprised in North Bloomfield.

[Page 385] -


     Peter Chardon Brooks, of Boston, was the proprietor of large tracts of land in this portion of the Reserve and this township was held by him until 1814.  He then sold it to Ephraim Brown, of Westmoreland, New Hampshire and Thomas Howe of Williamstown, Vermont.  Although the purchasers were of nearly the same age, Howe was Brown's uncle and the playmate of his boyhood.  It is said that the first business transaction between the two took place when the uncle and the nephew were both less than ten years of age, and was of a most unique nature.  Howe rented a hen of Brown for the season, and, at the expiration of the time agreed upon, returned her with half her chickens.  Two or three years after purchasing the township, Howe sold out to Brown, reserving one thousand acres in the southern part.


     Soon after purchasing Howe and Brown engaged S. I. Ensign, of Mesopotamia, to survey this township - not an easy task, considering the then swampy condition of the land.  The township is divided into one hundred and seventy lots, containing from fifty to one hundred acres each.  These lots are numbered from north to south, beginning with lot one in the northwestern corner of the township


     LEMAN FERRY, of Brookfield, Vermont, started for his new home in the western wilds about the 10th day of January, 1815, and reached his destination about the 20th of February following.  He started with two teams, one sled drawn by two yoke of oxen, the other a sleigh drawn by a span of horses.  The teams conveyed his household goods and his family.  Mr. Ferry was accompanied by his hired man, Mrs. Ferry, and two sons and three daughters. When west of Buffalo it was found impracticable to proceed further with the ox-sled on account of the scantiness of snow.  Therefore Mr. Ferry exchanged the sled for a wagon and continued his journey, but kept the sleigh along, the horses dragging it over bale ground much of the way.   He entered this township from the northward, guided only by spotted trees in the latter part of his journey.  There was then no house between Rome center and Bristol township, and no road through Bloomfield.  Arriving in the vicinity of his purchase Mr. Ferry found shelter for his family in a deserted log cabin situated just over the line in Bristol, until he had time to erect a shanty upon his own land. Leman Ferry, Jr., his oldest son, was at this time twenty-one years old, and with his assistance and that of the hired man a comfortable dwelling was soon finished.  At first no chimney was built, but a smoke-hole was cut through the roof instead.  The fire was built against the green logs in the end of the room until these were burned away somewhat, then a kind of stone fire-place was made by heaping up stones against the logs.  Here the family lived and worked.  When spring came, a number of men came on to make clearings, and as many as twenty at a time boarded at the house of Mrs. Ferry.  Benches made of split or hewn logs were ranged found the room for seats, and at night beds were made up on the floor.  Mr. Ferry had never built a log-house before this, and therefore was not especially skilled in that kind of carpentry; and the roof of the building, which was covered by "shakes," or long shingles, held down by weight-poles, was not properly constructed.  One day Mr. Ferry's son Noble, then a small boy, climbed upon the roof to rescue a cat which had got up there and was afraid to come down.  When he was about midway of the building, the whole roof suddenly started, shingles, and weight-poles all together, and carried the boy to the ground, burying him in the debris.  The hired man, who was chopping wood back of the house, saw the fall and with the assistance of young Leman Ferry soon extricated the bruised and frightened child.  Fortunately no bones were broken, and the victim of the accident still lives to relate the incident.
     The summer following his arrival and settlement Mr. Ferry returned ton Conneaut, where he had left his sled, taking back the wagon he had purchased in order to reach Bloomfield.  The wagon he sold for six barrels of salt at $10 per barrel, hauled the salt home on the sled, and sold it out to the settlers at the price he had paid.
     Leman Ferry died in 1825, aged sixty.  Mrs. Ferry lived to reach her ninetieth year.  They were the parents of seven children, of whom the youngest five came to Ohio with them.  The children were
Editha (Pinney) and Lucy

[pg. 386]



     The spring and summer after Mr. Ferry's settlement a number of others came and began improving their farms, and a few brought their families during that year.  In the spring of 1815 Willard Crowell, Israel Proctor, Samuel Eastman, and David Comstock came to this township from Vermont on foot.

     EPHRAIM BROWN, from Cheshire county, New Hampshire, was one of the first settlers and most prominent citizens.  He settled at the center in 1815, in a log cabin built a short time previously by Major Howe.  The site of the cabin is now covered by the residence of his son, E. A. Brown.  Ephraim Brown married Mary B. Huntington, and at the time of their arrival in the township their family consisted of four children; five were afterwards born to them.  The names of the children were Ephraim Alexander, George W., Mary, Charles, Elizabeth H., James M., Marvin H., Fayette, and Anne F.  E. A. Brown now resides upon the old homestead.  He was in business in Pittsburg from 1829 to 1845, principally as a wholesale dry goods merchant.  George W. died in Bloomfield;  Mary (Wing) still lives in the township as also Elizabeth; Charles died in Georgia in 1880; James died in Massillon; Marvin resides in Painesville, and Fayette in Cleveland, Annie F. in Bloomfield.  Ephraim Brown died in 1845, and his widow in 1862.  Mr. Brown was the first postmaster, the first merchant, and the second justice of the peace.  With Major Howe, and Judge Austin, of Austinburg, he was among the originators of the Warren and Ashtabula turnpike.

     LEWIS CLISBY was the second settler at the center, arriving soon after Mr. Brown.


     DAVID COMSTOCK, who came in 1815, worked for Major Howe, and was noted as one of the greatest wood-choppers of all time.  He married a sister of William McClintock and settled in the northern part of the township, afterwards moving to the center.  They had no children.  Mrs. Comstock was a resolute woman, and probably such a frightful creature as a mouse, which is now capable of frightening ladies nearly to death, had no terrors for her.  In her husband's absence she kept house, and one day when a bear attacked a hog in the pen, she took down the rifle, went out and succeeded in driving the intruder away, though she could not kill him.

     AMASA BIGELOW, a brother of Mrs. Leman Ferry, settled near Ferry in1816.  His son Elijah made the first improvements upon the place.  The four sons were Daniel, Timothy, Amasa, and ElijahAmasa and Elijah did not reside permanently in Bloomfield.  Daniel and Timothy passed their lives here.  One daughter, Jemima, married John Weed.

     SAMUEL EASTMAN was an early settler in the northern part of the township west of the turnpike.  He married Sophia Meecham, of Greene township.  He was a most eccentric character.

     JARED AND CYRIL GREEN came to the township

[Pg. 387]
in 1815, and settled on lot forty-six.  Jared was then unmarried.  Cyril married Polly Sherman and she came with him.  Cyril lived until 1874, when he died in his eighty-first year.  He was favorably known as an enterprising, public-spirited man.  Two years after the arrival of Jared and Cyril Green, their father, Jared Green, came out and settled.  Besides the two above mentioned, his sons were Charles, Noah, Marcus, and Archibald.  Charles returned East; Jared, Jr., moved north; Archibald is still a resident of the township.  One daughter, Julia (Whitcomb) moved away.

     In 1817 THOMAS HOWE, of Williamstown, Vermont, brought his family to this township, and settled in the southern part on lot eighty-five.  He was born in Westmoreland, New Hampshire, in 1799, and in early life was a merchant.  He carried on that business successfully a number of years in Williamstown.  His wife, Clarissa, was born in Woodstock, Connecticut.  Both were esteemed and honored throughout their lives.  They had five children, all born in Vermont- Clarissa (Wilder), Thomas M., Dr. George W., Nancy (Green), and William H.  Thomas M. and Mrs. Green are dead.  The others all reside in Bloomfield.  There was not a death in the Howe family until the youngest child was forty-six years old.  Thomas M. lived in Pittsburg, and represented his district in Congress several terms.  Dr. George W. has been a Representative to the Legislature, following in the footsteps of his father, and has held other honorable positions.

     HEZEKIAH HOWE came from Vermont in company with Asa Works, in 1817, and settled on lot sixty-five, where he still lives.  He is now in the ninety-sixth year of his age.  None of his sons now reside in the township.

     ASA WORKS settled in 1817, where his only son Nelson now resides, on lot sixty-four.

     AARON SMITH, about 1816, settled in the south of the township.  Soon after his arrival he built a frame house, the first in the township.  It is still standing, but has been removed to Bristol.  Mr. Smith's only child, a daughter, married Leonard Osborn and lives in Michigan.

     MAYHEW CROWELL settled about a half a mile north of the center in 1815.  His wife, Mehitabel (Howe) Crowell, died Sept. 20, 1817, being the first death in the township.  Her daughter, Harriet was the first child born in the township.  The Crowell family included five sons, and three daughters, who arrived at mature years.  All are now dead.  Their names were as follows: Willard, Obadiah, Henry, Thomas, Roswell, Mehitabel (Bellows), Mercy and Mary (Butler).  Charles Thayer settled in the northwest of the township about the year 1816.  None of the family now remain in Bloomfield.  One son, Hiram, resides in Bristol.

     JOHN BELLOWS, about the same time, located one mile northwest of the center.  One of his sons, Dr. Bellows, now resides in Michigan.  William moved to Chagrin Falls.  None are left here.  The elder Mr. Bellows engaged in brickmaking quite early.  His brother Benjamin resided a while in this township.


     NOYES PARKER was a blacksmith and had a shop near Brown's mill.  He made axes and scythes.  One of his children was drowned in the mill-race about the second day after he came here to settle.  Two or three years later an eight year-old son was drowned in the river.  This so disheartened the parent that he gave up his business and moved away.

     This we believe, about completes mention of the Vermont families who made the early settlement.

     Later, a number of English families established homes in the township.  This class now forms more than half the population.  They are industrious, thrifty, and excellent citizens.

     MR. WILLIAM HAINE was among the first of the English settlers of the township, and still resides here.


     This township was organized by a special act of the Legislature, and received its present name in 1816. The first township officers were chosen on the 9th of April, 1817, at an election held at the house of Ephraim Brown and were as follows: Aaron Smith, chairman; Leman Ferry and Jared Green, judges of election; Cyril Green,

[Pg. 388]

township clerk; Jared Kimball, David Comstock, and Leman Ferry, trustees; Mayhew Crowell and Timothy Bigelow, overseers of the poor; Leman Ferry, Jr., and Lewis Clisby, fence viewers; Jared Green, Jr., and John Weed, appraisers of property; Jared Green, Jr., lister; Jared Kimball, treasurer; Samuel Teed, constable; Mayhew Crowell and Leman Ferry, supervisors.


     The following stories relative to early days in this township are taken mainly from a published historical sketch by Mr. George A. Robertson:
     Many interesting incidents of early times are still remembered by the children of the early settlers, now gray-haired sires and grandsires, some of which deserve a place here.
     The cows and hogs, while the settlers were commencing operations upon their farms, had nowhere to run except in the woods.  The hogs were allowed much liberty during the summer, and in the fall as many of them as could be found were brought in and comfined in rail pens to be fattened.  But usually some of them would escape, and thus, in a comparatively short time, wild and ferocious hogs inhabited the forests; and when they had attained five or six years growth, their huge tusks and savage natures rendered them about as formidable as any wild beasts of the time.  “Hunting the wild boar,” the sport of the feudal and middle ages, so celebrated in the pages of song and romance, was occasionally revived here in the wilds of Ohio, and often many joined in it.  Not unfrequently some unfortunate modern Adonis, would find himself too closely pursued and be compelled to take refuge in a tree to avoid destruction.
     Mr. N. B. Ferry relates that often, when a boy, while hunting for the cows his dog would start a wild hog whose squealing would arouse others and attract them to the spot; and soon they would collect in such force as to drive him to a tree for safety, while the dog used every effort to keep from being rended in pieces by his savage pursuers.


     One evening when Mr. N. B. Ferry was a boy he was out hunting for the cows, and not returning as soon as usual, his father started out to find him.  Being unsuccessful in his search, he was returning to the house, and when within a short distance of it he was startled by the howling of wolves.  Fearing that he would not be able to reach his home, he climbed a tree and shouted for help.  Several men who were boarding at his house each seized a gun and hastened to the spot.  The wolves were easily frightened away.  It was afterwards learned that they were not at first in pursuit of Mr. FerryJared Green had killed a deer that day and dragged it home;  The wolves were following up the trail, and as Mr. Ferry unconsciously took the same course, they turned their attention to him.


     One night a cow belonging to Mr. Howe came up without her calf, to which she had given birth during the day.  She was fastened for the night, and in the morning loosed, and the boys were directed to follow her as she would be sure to proceed to the spot where the calf had been left.  The cow, on being untied, went some distance into the woods, and at length, coming to a clump of bushes, stopped and began lowing.  This spot was undoubtedly the place where the calf had been left, but now it nowhere appeared.  Traces of blood, and a trail where the calf had been dragged, pointed plainly to its fate.  Following this trail a short distance, the boys found a portion of the carcass placed between two trees and covered over with leaves.  They returned and related what they had seen to Mr. Norton, who had quite a reputation as a bear trapper.  According he set a trap near the spot, and awaited developments.  The next morning the trap was sprung, but the bear was not in it. The remains of the calf were gone, too, and for some distance, no trail was found.  Mr. Norton directed that search be made in a circuit of some distance around the spot, as he believed that the bear would carry his burden a short distance, and then drag it.  He was correct in his knowledge of the habits of the bear, and soon the trail was found.  After following it up, they discovered the remaining portion of the carcass where it had again been deposited and covered with leaves.  Here Norton set two traps, attaching heavy clogs to them.
     Next morning young Howe found the ground around the spot torn up as though a drove of hogs had been there.  One of the traps had

[pg. 389]
been sprung, but the bear had managed to get his foot out of it.  The other had gone and with it he clog.  Following the course which the bear had taken a short distance, Howe soon heard the sharp clink of the trap against the stones in the creek bottom near by.  Norton then came up, and put his dogs on the trail.  Soon their barking was heard, and hastening on the hunters found the bear endeavoring to climb a tree with the trap on one of his fore paws. Hindered by this and by the dogs, he soon fell, shot by the rifles of the men.  He weighed over four hundred pounds, and was well worth the trouble it had cost to capture him.






     As the people of Bloomfield were returning home from church one quiet Sabbath afternoon in the month of September, 1823, a negro with a woman and two children was seen on the turnpike.  They appeared nearly worn out with much travel and almost ready to lie down and die.  Those who saw them supposed, of course, that they were fugitive slaves, but communicated their suspicions to no one.  About dark three men, the slave-owner, his son, and an attendant, rode up to the door of the tavern in the village, and inquired if the negroes had been seen.  They were informed that they had gone on a short distance.  The landlord advised the strangers to tarry with him all night, as they could easily overtake the objects of their pursuit in the morning.  Having traveled very far that day and being much wearied, they consented.  The slave-hunters retired early, asking the landlord to call them as early as possible in the morning.  When it became known in the village that slave-hunters were at the tavern, the greatest excitement prevailed.  The will to have the negroes escape was strong, and 'Squire Brown, hacked by the public sentient of almost the entire community devised a plan to effect this result.  He sent his covered wagon and a party of willing men, under cover of darkness, to overtake the runaways.  About twelve miles from Bloomfield, in Rome, Ashtabula county, they learned that the objects

[pg. 390]
of their search had been secreted in a certain house.  They rode up to it, and on making known their object to its owner, were repulsed and ordered off his premises.  Considerable expostulation and explanation ensued before he could be made to understand that their mission was a friendly one.  But when satisfied of the sincerity of their intentions he allowed the Bloomfield men to take the negro family into the wagon.  They then conveyed them south a short distance to a tavern kept by a Mr. Crowell, with a barn standing back of it in a field.  Into this barn the wagon was driven and the doors securely closed.
     Now let us go back to the Bloomfield tavern.  Morning dawned, but for some inexplicable(?) reason the landlord and his family were not awake as soon as usual.  In fact, the first to awake and arouse the household was the slave-owner.  The landlord apologized; didn't know when such a thing as his oversleeping had happened before; said he was much ashamed of himself; and so on.   He tried to dress, but one boot was missing.  After much search it turned up in some unusual place.  Then he proceeded to the barn; the door was locked and he had left the key in the house.  Back to the house and then to the barn; the key didn't fit, and much time was wasted in unlocking the door.  At length this was accomplished, and the horses were led out.  Another discovery - each animal had lost a shoe and besides the hoof of one of them was badly broken.  The owners thought the shoes of the horses were all right the night before; at least they had not noticed that any were missing.  But they were missing now - that was evident, and the services of the village blacksmith were required before the impatient Virginians could proceed on their journey.  Mr. Barnes, the smith, was not at his shop, and it required some time to hunt him up.  Usually he was at his post early - a model of promptness.  After he was found he had trouble in unlocking the door, and succeeded poorly in making a fire.  He had not a nail in his shop, and used his last shoes in a job which he did the previous Saturday evening.  Nails and shoes had to be made, but the blacksmith appeared in no hurry.  At last the horses were shod, and about 9 o'clock the slave hunters started off.  About noon they drove up to the tavern in front of the barn where the wagon and the fugitives were.  Through the cracks in the barn the happy negro family saw their pursuers start on.   A little later the covered wagon emerged from its hiding place and returned to Bloomfield.  Under the direction of 'Squire Brown a shelter for the fugitives had been prepared - a rude camp constructed between the roots of two upturned trees.  Here the negroes remained being supplied with food by the kind-hearted people of Bloomfield until all danger was past.  Then there were brought to a log cabin near the center, where they resided for some time, the man being employed by 'Squire Brown.  At length they were put on a vessel at Ashtabula harbor and reached Canada in safety.
     When the slave-hunters returned to Bloomfield, after a fruitless search north of this place, they were arrested on a warrant charging them with having run a toll-gate north of Warren.  Supposing that the objects of their pursuit would take the State road to Painesville instead of continuing on up the pike, they had paid toll only to the former road.  They were fined five dollars each and costs.  The village tavern-keeper refused to admit them, or to feed their horses.  Some malicious mischief-maker removed the hair from the tails and mains of the horses while the owners of the team were at 'Squire Kimball's house, and pinned to one of the saddles a notice containing the following lines:

Slave-hunters, beware!
For sincerely we swear
That if again here
You ever appear,
We'll give you the coat
Of a Tory to wear.

     This slave rescue was the first of a series of similar acts in which prominent citizens of Bloomfield took an active part.  After the underground railroad was put in operation, it received sympathy and support fro the good people of this region.  Though there was hostility to the Abolitionists, and though liberal rewards were offered for the return of slaves to their owners, there never was, so far as known, an instance in which a runaway was betrayed.


     The first Child born in this township was Harriet Crowell.  The first male child was Charles Thayer.
     The first death was that of
Mrs. Mehitabel

[pg. 391]

Crowell, in 1817; the second, that of Mrs. Hannah Brown, Apr. 28, 1818.
     The first marriage ceremony was performed by Lyman Potter, Esq., of Bristol, in uniting John Weed and Jemima Bigelow.
     The first sermon was preached by Mr. Cole, missionary, in Ferry's cabin in 1815. Mr. Badger, Congregationalist, preached soon after.
     The first sermon by a Methodist minister was preached in 1817 by Rev. Ira Eddy, in Mr. Thayer's house.  Before any church was organized persons of different denominations united in holding meetings, where professors of religion offered prayer, and in the absence of a minister sermons were read and hymns were sung by those attending.


     AARON SMITH, was the first carpenter in the township, and in 1817 built for Ephraim Brown a saw-mill on Grand river, about two miles from the center.  In 1819 a grist-mill was built upon the same stream, and managed by Leman Ferry, Jr., the first miller.  This mill was in operation many years, with many changes in its ownership.  It was in a bad site, and the cost of keeping up a dam was considerable.

     ASA LAW
built for Mr. Brown a saw-mill on Center brook at an early day, about a half mile from the center.

mill, in the northern part of the township, was built for him in 1855 by N. B. Ferry.


in the township was started by Ephraim Brown in 1816.  He brought on a stock of goods from Boston, and having more than he could sell disposed of a part of them at Warren to Mr. Bentley.  He built the store in Bloomfield, which is now French's shoe shop, and continued the mercantile business a number of years.  Indians were sometimes his customers, trading venison for whiskey, tobacco, and other articles.  A gallon of whiskey would purchase a side of nice venison.

     WILLIAM A. OTIS was the second merchant.  He made a good start here, removed to Cleveland and became a prominent and wealthy man.  He came to Bloomfield about 1823.  His son, Hon. Charles Otis, is an ex-mayor of Cleveland.


     In 1818 Samuel and John Teed undertook the building of this house, but as they had not the money to finish the work, they sold out to 'Squire Brown, who moved in and kept the house a year or so, while his own residence was building.  In 1823 Milo Harris succeeded as landlord and remained several years.








     Soon after the settlement of the township Dr. Reynolds, of Mesopotamia, came here to practice.  The population of the township being small, he found this an unpromising field and removed after a short stay.

     Dr. Benjamin Palmer next came, as early as 1824, and practiced twenty years or more with distinguished success.  He was a New Hampshire man, well educated.  The surrounding townships having no physicians, he had a wide field for usefulness, and built up a large practice.

[pg. 392]
He left here having gained quite a large property for a country doctor.

     The next physician was Dr. Hartman, now of Baltimore, Maryland.  Other physicians have been quite numerous, as there has always been a doctor in the township since Dr. Palmer located.

     Dr. G. W. Howe practiced in Bloomfield from 1847 till 1867.  At the latter date he was appointed surgeon of the Pittsburg & Boston Mining company, and went to Lake Superior. Dr. A. O. Huntly assumed his practice, and is still continuing it successfully.








[pg. 393]






     The chief burying place in this township is the cemetery near the center.  One acre of ground was given to the township by 'Squire Brown, and additional ground has since been purchased.  The cemetery is a beautiful spot, thickly shaded by evergreens and other ornamental trees.  Interments were made at an early day, and here repose the pioneers, their life struggles ended.

Far from the madding crowd's ignoble strife,
     Their sober wishes never learned to stray;
Along the cool, sequestered vale of life
     They kept the noiseless tenor of their way.

In the northern part of the township, a small piece of land was purchased and laid out as a graveyard.  But few interments have been made here.


     Bloomfield center:
     stores, William C. Savage, D. W. Smith, and J. W. Haine.
     Post-office, George W. Howe.
     Hardware, tinware, and furniture, T. J. Sealey. Harness shop, R. Welchman.
     Manufacturer of wind-mills, H. F. Headley.
     Cheese factories: Center Brook factory, center, Kincaid & Little
     Clover Hill factory, north part of the township, George E. Haine.
     Grist-mill: William Haine, in the north of the township.
     Steam saw-mills: Russell & Ackley, east of the center, and A. Canfield in the north.
     Hay-bailing: Steets & Davis, east of the center.


     Rural lodge No. 328, North Bloomfield, was granted a charter Oct. 17, 1860.  The following were the charter members: James Peirson, Horace Flower, George W. Howe, Chester Howard, Benjamin Cutter, Alvin A. House, Beriah Hill, Sumner Stoughton, Lucius S. Ball, William Harrington, Walker M. Price, and George W. Harrington.  The lodge had been working under a dispensation from Dec. 22, 1858.  The lodge has steadily prospered

[pg. 394]
ever since it was formed.  At one time two hundred and eighty members belonged, but the organization of lodges in neighboring places caused several to withdraw, so that now only about seventy members are included in Rural lodge.  The building in which the hall is, is owned by the lodge.  They have pleasant rooms tastefully furnished, and are in excellent financial condition.








     JOHN SMITH was born Feb. 2, 1800, in Warwick, Massachusetts.  His wife, Julia Ann Smith, nee Wright, was born at Northampton, Massachusetts, Sept. 4, 1806.  They were married Dec. 31, 1829.  Mr. Smith came to Ohio in an early day, and settled in Bloomfield township, south of the center.  He cleared up a good farm, and lived upon it till his death.  He died Nov. 17, 1868; Mrs. Smith died Apr. 16, 1870.  Farming was Mr. Smith's occupation.  He was well known as a surveyor:  was justice of the peace many years, also town clerk.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith were members of the Congregational church, formerly Presbyterian.  There were four children in his family — Cornelia, born May 8, 1831; Justin E., born Oct. 25, 1832; Dwight W., Oct. 28, 1835; Mary Elizabeth, Oct. 2, 1839; all born in Bloomfield.  Justin is deceased ; he died Feb. 2, 1862, in hospital at Cincinnati.

     DWIGHT SMITH, son of John Smith, was born

[Page 395] -
in Bloomfield, Oct. 28, 1835.  He has always resided in the township; followed farming till 1872, then went into the mercantile business at the center.  He was married May 28, 1856, to Miss Mary Richelieu, daughter of William P. Richelieu, of Scotland.  William P. Richelieu was born Nov. 5, 1805, in Scotland.  Mrs. Richelieu was born May 28, 1817, in Scotland.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith have had five children - John W., born Apr. 10, 1857; Lazette and Lafayette (twins) born Mar. 28, 1858; Martha C., Apr. 8, 1864; Justin D., Oct. 14, 1868.  Lazette, died Aug. 30, 1873; Lafayette, Sept. 6, 1858.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith, also two of the children, are members of the Congregational church.

     HON. THOMAS HOWE was born in Westmoreland, New Hampshire, on the first day of Feb. ruary, 1779.  His opportunities for acquiring an education were meagre; however, he improved the chances presented him to the best possible advantage.  Early in life he devoted himself to mercantile pursuits, and eventually settled in Williamstown, Orange county, Vermont, where he carried on the business of a merchant successfully.  In 1817 he moved with his family to Bloomfield, Ohio, a family comprising wife and five children; his wife survived the subject of our sketch about one year, and the children are all living.  Clarissa, wife of Thomas Howe, was born in Woodstock, Connecticut.  She was a woman of exalted virtue and unbounded benevolence, exerting a Christian influence on all with whom she had intercourse.  Her memory is treasured by her children.  The late Hon. Thomas Howe several times represented Trumbull county in the Ohio Legislature, honorably to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents.  He lived to be an octogenarian, and his whole life was one of exceeding worth, and fit for emulation by the youth and middle-aged, and even by those made venerable by the gray hairs of many years.  The noblest tribute that either poet, sage, or sophist could not excel, is that expressed by his son, who has said that “he remembered no word or action of his lamented father he would wish changed for his memory's sake.”

     DR. G. W. HOWE, son of Hon. T. Howe, was born in Williamstown, Vermont, Dec. 21, 1809.  He was favored with the advantages for acquiring a good education, and he wisely improved the passing time.  In the year 1817 he came to Bloomfield.  During two winter seasons he taught school. Sept. 25, 1832, he was united in marriage to Miss Julia A. Austin; from this union six children have been born; three are living.  Mr. Howe studied medicine with Dr. Benjamin Palmer; followed his profession forty-four years; from 1862 to 1865 he was surgeon of board of enrollment; near the close of the service he received a communication from the assistant provost-marshal-general, certifying that the skill and fidelity manifested in the discharge of his official duties were highly creditable to himself, and deserving special commendation; that there was only one surgeon that stood as high as himself.  Dr. Howe has twice represented his people in the Ohio Legislature.

     WILLIAM H. HOWE was born Jan. 5, 1817, in Williamstown, Vermont.  His father, Thomas Howe, was one of the original owners of the township.  Mr. William Howe came to Ohio with his father in 1817.  In 1832 he went to Pittsburg where he was engaged in mercantile business till 1845.  He then went to Michigan and was among the first miners of copper about Lake Superior.  He remained here two years, then returned to Bloomfield and went into business for his brother George.  In 1864 Mr. Howe returned to Lake Superior and was engaged in mining seven years.  During the war he was clerk in the provost office at Warren.  In 1871 he went to Corry, Pennsylvania, where he was an overseer in a manufactory of pails, tubs, etc., for five years, then returned to Bloomfield township, where he has since resided.  He was married in 1850 to Miss Malvina Flower, daughter of Hiram Flower, of Bloomfield.  They have had nine children, four of whom are living.  Mrs. Howe is a member of the Congregational church. 

     ASA WORKS, an early settler of Bloomfield township, was born in 1775 in Richmond township, New Hampshire.  He came to Ohio in 1817 and settled in Bloomfield upon the farm now occupied by his son, Nelson Works.  He purchased two hundred acres of Brown & Howe.  The county was an unbroken wilderness at this time.  Asa Works died in 1826, March 3d, aged fifty-one years.  There were four children in his family—Nelson, Sophia, Mary,

[pg. 396]
and MarthaSophia is deceased.  Mr. Works was a hatter by trade.  Mrs. Works died Sept. 28, 1862, aged seventy-nine years.  Mr. Works was a member of the Bible Christian church.  Mrs. Works is a member of the Disciple church.  Mr. Nelson Works has always lived in the township since he was six years old.  Farming has been his chief business.  He married Miss Delia Cleveland, daughter of William Cleveland, of Aurora.  He had two children by his first marriage—Ellen A. and Laura JMrs. Works died Jan. 25, 1852.  Mr. Works was married again Jan. 19, 1854, to Miss Harriet A. Booth, daughter of Peter Booth, of Greene township.  She was born Oct. 20, 1823.  Mr. Nelson Works was born Dec. 15, 1811, in Williamstown, Vermont.  His family consisted of three children–Charles N., Lilian M., John B.  Mr. and Mrs. Works are members of the Disciple church.  Politically Mr. Works is a sound Republican.  At the present time Charles is teaching in Youngstown; Lilian attending school at Hiram; John is at home; Ellen is teaching at Niles, and Laura is the wife of Dr. Ferrey, of Bloomfield.

     WILLIAM HAINE, an old resident of Bloomfield township, was born in Somersetshire, England, Feb. 8, 1806.  His father, John Haine, was a native of England and lived and died in the old country.  Mr. William Haine sailed from England Apr. 11, 1835, landing on Prince Edward island after a passage of about thirty days.  He soon went to Pictou, Nova Scotia, then to Castine, Maine, from there to Boston, from Boston to Ohio, where he had two sisters living in Bloomfield township, Trumbull county, Mr. Haine purchased one hundred and fifty acres of land of George Huntington, of Painesville, though the original deed was from Squire BrownMr. Haine began in the woods, or about the same, as there was but a small clearing in which  he started.  He has cleared most of his present farm by his own hard labor.  He was married Apr. 11, 1836, to Miss Mary Haine, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Haine, of Somersetshire, England.  They have had ten children - William J., Sarah, Lottie, Emma, George, Ellen, John, Clara, Charles, and Ellen (deceased).  Mr. and Mrs. Haine are members of the Methodist Church, also the children.   Politically Mr. Haine is a Republican

     JOHN SAGER was born Apr. 12, 1810, in Bristol township.  His father, William, was an early settler in Trumbull county.  Mr. John Sager spent his entire life in Bristol and Bloomfield townships.  He came to the latter in 1835 and settled upon the farm where his widow and daughter now live.  The farm was formerly owned by George Norton.  The many improvements now apparent have all been made by Mr. Sager.  He was married Apr. 12, 1835, to Miss Louisa Moffat, daughter of Hosea Moffat, of Bristol township.  She was born July 11, 1816, in Orleans county, New York.  They have had seven children—Mary, Martin, Sarah, Albert, Edwin, Sophronia, and EllaMr. Sager died Apr. 2, 1881.  Martin was killed at Malvern Hill, Virginia, July 28, 1864.  He was in company A, Sixth Ohio cavalry.  Sophronia died Dec. 20, 1850.  Ellen died May 29, 1871.  Mr. John Sager was a member of the Disciple church, also Mrs. Sager and children.






[pg. 397]



     ARTHUR V. CROUCH was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 2, 1827, oldest son of George and Mary Crouch.  George Crouch, born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1804, was a resident of Trumbull county some ten years.  He married, in 1826, Mary, daughter of Arthur Van Wye, who was a pioneer in Weathersfield, where he settled about 1802.  He was a soldier form Trumbull county in the War of 1812.  Mrs. Crouch was born in Weathersfield in 1806 and died in 1848.  A. V. Crouch in earlier years followed school-teaching some eight or ten years.  Was a resident of Pittsburg some time where he was deputy county treasurer in 1858.  From 1859 to 1874 he was connected with the Pittsburg Plow works, removing to Green, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1863, and conducting a branch business there, at the same time being engaged in farming and dairying.  In April, 1881, he removed to Bloomfield, where he still resides.  In 1858 he married Jennie F. McVey, who  died in 1862.  In 1864 he married Mrs. Mary F. Lewis, daughter of Captain Archibald Green, of Bloomfield, where she was born in 1842, and has six children, as follows:  Martin L., Mary F., Florence M., Arthur V., Jr., Archibald G. and John B.  Mr. Crouch was elected county commissioner for Trumbull county in 1878 and re-elected in 1881.



[pg. 398]









This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights