A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


 History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, Ohio
Published:  Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bros.

Trumbull County, Ohio

E. A. Reed




Source: History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties, Ohio, Publ. 1882 - Pg. 376

Samuel Merry


SAMUEL MERRY.    The Merry family, of which Samuel Merry is the oldest representative in this county, is of English descent.  The genealogical record has been traced to Samuel Merry, of Hartford county, Connecticut, who was one generation removed from his English ancestors.  He had a family of ten children, with whom, in 1789, he removed to Herkimer county, New York, being one of the earliest pioneers in that valley.  He died at Herkimer village, Aug. 19, 1827, aged seventy-seven years.  Hannah Merrill Merry, his wife, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, September, 1747, and died at Litchfield, Herkimer county, New York, Aug. 19, 1814.  Their children were Samuel, Jr., Enos, Charles, Epaphras, Francis, Lucy, Edmund, Ralph, Harriet, and Hannah.
     Charles Merry, the third son of Samuel Merry, was born in Hartford county, Connecticut, in 1774, and was fifteen years old when his father moved to New York.  Pioneer life is much the same everywhere - ceaseless toil, privation and discouragement.  The decade spent in Herkimer county was just the sort of preparatory drill Mr. Merry needed for life in the new West opened up by the Connecticut company's purchase.  In the spring of 1800 he started for the Reserve, going on foot with a pack weighing twenty-four pounds on his back.  He did not follow the traveled roads which had been cut out by previous emigrants, but took a straight course through an unbroken wilderness, swimming streams and sleeping in the open air.  One night he slept in an Indian hut.  This was probably the most uncomfortable night of his journey, for, although there was no occasion for alarm, he thought it prudent to keep one eye on his host.  His pocket compass finally guided him to Hartford township, where Timothy Brockway, his father-in-law, had previously settled. 
     Mr. Merry had married in New York Martha Brockway, whom he left at the old home in Herkimer county until he could prepare a home for her here.  Having selected a piece of land in Hartford township he made a clearing, built a cabin, and planted spring crops. He was well satisfied with his first summer's work, and having planted a fall crop returned to New York for his family, which at that time consisted of a wife and one son.  In the following spring he settled in Hartford, where he remained about five years and then removed to Vernon, where he died.
     Charles and Martha Merry had a family of eleven children, seven of whom lived to mature age: Erastus, Harriet, Aber, Samuel, Francis, Matilda, and Charles.
     Samuel Merry, the subject of an illustration on another page, was born in Vernon, Jan. 27, 1807.  His early life was spent on his father's farm, and odd hours occupied in coopering until he had mastered the trade.  During the winter he manufactured large numbers of cider barrels, whiskey barrels, and pork casks.  The price of the former at that time was four and the latter five shiliings.
     Mr. Merry married Jan. 1, 1836, Mary Crossman, of Onondaga county, New York, and began housekeeping on the farm on which he continues to reside.  They have had a family of eight children.  Judson L. resides in Arizona; Ellen (Mrs. James T. Weir), in Vernon; Courtland D., in Vernon; Delia C (Mrs. John Morrison), in Ashtabula county; Charles T., in Vernon; Theodore T. and Willard P., in Burg Hill, and Mrs. W. P. Crowell.
     Mrs. Samuel Merry died Dec. 17, 1881.  She had joined the Baptist church in New York and during all her life was a Christian woman.  Mr. Merry united with the Methodist Protestant church and remained a member until the church was removed.  His father, Charles Merry, was one of the most prominent of the pioneers; was paymaster of militia from 1811 until 1817, and held various other local trusts.
Source: History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties, Ohio, Publ. 1882 - Pg. 377


JOHN L. KING, M. D.    The subject of this sketch was born in Harrison township, near Platteville, Grant county, Wisconsin, Nov. 13, 1848.  His father, John, son of James King, Sr., and Eliza Jane Smail, were married May 11, or 13, 1847, near Jamestown, Pennyslvania, each being about twenty years of age.  They went to Wisconsin in April, 1848, where young King was born.  April, 1849, his father started for California to try his success in the gold mines.  He died a short time after reaching Negro bar on the American river, California, the first day of January, 1850, lacking a few days  of being twenty-three years of age.  He was born in Vernon township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan. 13, 1827, and his wife April 8th of the same year in West Salem township, Mercer county, Pennsylvania.  Mrs. King married for her second husband Harvey H., son of Chancey Jones, Sr., of Harrison county, Wisconsin, February, 1851, by whom she had two children, Eliza, born Dec. 11, 1851, and Harvey, born Dec. 9, 1853.  Mar. 29, 1854, Mr. Jones with his family started by the overland route for Washington Territory.  After a trip of varied and thrilling experience they reached their place of destination on the White river, King county, twenty miles from Seattle, an important town on Puget sound, Oct. 24, 1854.  Here young King endured the privations and inconveniences incident to a newly and sparsely settled country.  He had to walk two miles to attend school, along a blazed path through a dense forest at the risk of being killed by Indians or mangled by panthers.
     Sunday, Oct. 28, 1855, his mother and step-father were murdered in cold blood by a party of about fourteen Klikitat Indians.  After the massacre he carried his little half-brother and led his half-sister about three miles in hopes of finding some of the whites near where he used to attend school, which was done at the risk of their lives, but all had become alarmed and had fled.  The houses were deserted and some of them ransacked.  The outlook was gloomy in deed.  They had been driven from the breakfast table, had had no dinner except a few potatoes they had dug from the ashes of the milk-house where they had been stored.  It was getting late in the afternoon of a short October day, the children were becoming tired and hungry and begging for food; the roots he had dug for them to eat did not fully satisfy the cravings of a long-fasting stomach.  The youngest, not quite two years of age, was inconsolable, and his sobs and cries added the danger of detection to the already harrowing complication of adverse circumstances.  He could not be made to comprehend why he was being kept away from his mother, and his piteous pleadings to be taken to her and for something to eat made the heart of young King sick and faint.  To add to the dismal prospects he discovered an Indian coming directly towards them, but from his manner he was certain they had not been observed.  There was no time to be lost, and hastily securing the children he returned and started to meet the approaching Indian, whom he recognized as a friendly one whom he had often seen before and knew by the name of "Curly."  They all were taken to his wigwam, and his squaw set out a great quantity of dried whortleberries and smoked fish.  Ample justice was done to his hospitality.  Nothing she or young King could do could in duce the two younger children to treat her with anything but shyness and looks of fear and suspicion.  Tired nature demanded her rights and he soon had the satisfaction of seeing them sound asleep, and never will he forget the mingled feeling of pride, sympathy and sorrow experienced as he looked upon his sleeping charge.  Curly took them down the White river in a canoe the next day and delivered them up to the proper authorities.  Their uncle John Small was in California, where he heard of the massacre, and immediately came to Seattle and took charge of the children.  Some time in June, 1856, they left Seattle on the Government man-of-war Decatur.  The vessel came near foundering in a gale off the mouth of the Columbia river.  At San Francisco the children received the most generous attention, and a benefit was given them in the American theater.  Thence they went to New York by the way of the Isthmus of Panama, and from there were taken to Wisconsin.  Eliza and Harvey were left with relatives in that State and young King was brought back to Ohio and placed in the care of his uncle, Rev. David King, and his wife, in September, 1856.  He joined the Methodist Episcopal church the 9th of November, 1862.  He never saw his half sister and half-brother after he parted with them in 1856.  Eliza died Oct. 6, 1864, and Harvey Oct. 4, 1864, of diphtheria.  They had not seen each other for three weeks, and had lived three miles apart.
     Young King's boyhood days were spent as most, and no pains were spared to secure to him the advantages of a common as well as select school education.  He attended the Allegheny college, Meadville, Pennsylvania, in the years 1867 - 68 - 69 - 70, and 1871.  He began the study of medicine in July, 1867, and entered his name as a student in the office of David Best, M. D. in Meadville, Pennsylvania, in January, 1870.  He attended two courses of lectures of six months each in the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, in the years 1871 and 1872, and received his degree of doctor of medicine from Bellevue Hospital Medical college, New York city, Feb. 27, 1873.  In April of the same year he established himself in Greece City, in Butler county, Pennsylvania oil regions. In November, 1874, he located at his old home at Burg Hill, Vernon township, Ohio, where he is still [1882] engaged in the practice of his chosen profession.
     Jan. 31, 1875, he lost his uncle, Rev. David King, aged sixty-five, and Sept. 9, 1878, his aunt, Jane King, wife of David, aged seventy-four.  He takes this opportunity of paying grateful tribute to their memory.  To their teaching and example he renders the most profound admiration and respect.  Truthfully can it be said they tried to live as they thought others should live, and preached nothing they were not willing to practice.  Mr. King was united in marriage to Miss Emorinda C. Brown, April 18, 1802.
     Chauncey Jones, Sr., was born in Barkhamsted, Litchfield county, Connecticut, May 11 1780.  His brothers were Israel, Pliny, and Horace, and his sisters Clarissa, Mima, Rebecca, and Orpha.  At eleven years of age he removed to Herkimer county, New York; came to Vernon about 1802-3, and married Ursula, daughter of Rev. Obed Crosby, Aug. 28, 1804.  His house stood on lot six, southeast part.  He subsequently lived near number four school-house.  His house was the stopping place for the weary itinerant Methodist preacher.  He took an active part in church affairs.  He moved from Vernon to Illinois in 1838, and near Platteville, Wisconsin, in 1839.  He died thee in 1859; also his wife in 1876.  His children were:  Sterling born in 1804, and died in infancy; Chancey, born in 1807, married Elizabeth Brown in 1830, and died in 1853; Obed Crosby, born in 1810; Clarissa, born in 1813, married Jesse Waldorf in 1833, and her children were Ursula, Elizabeth and Laura Etta; Horace, born in 1818, and died in infancy; Jerusha born in 1822, and died in infancy.  Hervey, born in 1825, married Mrs. John King in 1851, and their children were Eliza Olive and Harvey Percival, both dying in 1864.  He and his wife, Eliza Jane, were both murdered by the Indians on White river, King county, twenty miles from seattle, Washington Territory, Sunday morning, Oct. 28, 1855.  His body was burned in his house, which the Indians set on fire.  Orpha was born in 1828, and died in infancy.
     Chauncey Jones, Jr., was born in Vernon Dec. 19, 1807, and married Elizabeth, daughter of James and Hannah Brown, when he was twenty-three years of age.  He settled on the east side of the Pymatuning creek, near number four school-house in Vernon, where he remained until 1837, when he went to the West, and finally located in the township of Harrison, Grant county, Wisconsin in 1840, where he died Sept. 19, 1853.  His children were Orlando Sterling born in 1831, married Sarah Elizabeth Munger in 1852.  Their children were Alice who married W. C. King, and Chancey, who married and had two children, a son and daughter, who died in infancy.  Obed King, born in 1833, married Harriet Elizabeth Guernsey in 1856.  Their children were De Forest and Charlotte Elizabeth for his second wife he married Susie M. Janney in 1867, and had two daughters and a son.  Hannah Orpha was born in 1836, and died in 1846.  James Horace was born in 1846, and married Ortha A. McFall in 1864.  They had five children.  All except James H. were born in Vernon.
     Rev. Obed Crosby was born in Hartland, Hartford county, Connecticut, in 1753.  He was married to Jerusha Phelps in Hartland in 1782.  She was born in Connecticut in 1757.  He was in the Revolutionary war under General Washington.  He came to Vernon in the spring of 1800 and erected a log house on lot seven, Wilcox tract, near the site of J. M. Dickerman's, and boarded with Thomas Giddings while build ing it, and also held meetings and preached occasionally, but where is not definitely known.  He returned to Connecticut, and the next spring (1801) brought his wife and three children to Vernon.  They came by the way of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in an open wagon drawn by a yoke of oxen.  Shortly after leaving that place one of the oxen died and a cow was yoked to take its place.  They were six weeks on the trip from Connecticut.  He formed the first Methodist Episcopal society ever organized in Vernon (1801).  He lived in his round log house six months and then moved into his new house on the exact site of A. Waldorf's on lot four, West Shepard tract.  This was the first hewn log house in Vernon and a fine structnre for its day; had a large room, two bed rooms, and a pantry down stairs and a chamber; had a board gable.  The nails used were hand-wrought in Pittsburg.  He died during the prevalence of a malignant type of typhoid fever Jan. 13, 1813.  His wife died Feb. 20, 1839.  They lie side by side in the burial ground just south of the center of Vernon.  His children were Ursula, born Aug. 16, 1785; died near Platteville, Wisconsin, Aug. 25, 1876.  Polly died in infancy.  Ezra died near New Castle, Pennsylvania.  No dates of birth or death.  Ezra had a son, Obed. Jerusha, born in 1790, died in Vernon, Ohio, Feb. 11, 1839.
     James King was born in the county of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1781.  He had brothers Robert, William, John, and a sister Mary.  His mother, Mrs. Jane King, married John Brackin by whom she had three children, Ezekiel, David, and ElizabethJohn Brackin left Londonderry, Ireland, in 1800, with his family, and landed at Wilmington, Delaware, after a four weeks' voyage, and came to Strabane, Washington county, Pennsylvania.  Robert King first went to Kinsman, Ohio, and the rest followed in 1804.  James worked for Mr. Kinsman in that township and subsequently bought of him a farm in the north part of lot twenty-three, Kinsman, now owned by J. R. Russell.  In 18056 he married Jerusha, daughter of Rev. Obed Crosby, of Vernon, by whom he had eleven children, three boys and two girls dying in infancy.  A short time after his marriage he traded his farm in Kinsman for one in Vernon, with his brother in-law, Ezra Crosby, and became identified with the interests of this township thereafter.  He held various offices of trust; was considered one of the best farmers in the township.  The jokes he played were many and of a practical kind and often repaid.  One of his neighbors at one time
in his absence turned a drover's herd into a field of clover nearly ready to be cut.  He told him it was all right, as it was to be plowed under, then went to Mr. King and told him some one had taken possession, and he better see about it.  Mr. King, as soon as he had had a talk with the drover, could trace the joke back to his informer.  He watched his opportunity and soon had a chance to play a prank on him.  This and many other ones were played and repaid in the best of humor.  He was county commissioner in 1837.  His wife died in 1839.  He was a member of the Seceder church in Kinsman at his death, which occurred May 9, 1842.  His children were Obed, born 1807, married Mary Phelps, 1833, who had one child - died in infancy.  He died in 1840.  David, born 1810, died 1875.  George, born 1819, married Sarah Waldorf, had children, Obed C., died aged ten, and Will C., born 1853.* James, born 1813, an artist of much promise, died 1842.  William, born 1822, died in Platteville, Wisconsin, in 1865.   John, born 1827, died 1850.  See sketch of J. I. King, M. D.  The others died in infancy.
     Rev. David King was born in Kinsman township, Aug. 22, 1810.  When about twenty-four years of age he professed religion in Wayne, Ashtabula county.  Attended Allegheny college, Meadville, Pennsylvania, in the years 1834 and 1835.  Was licensed to exhort in 1834 and to preach in 1836.  Was missionary among the Sioux Indians about Fort Snelling and St. Paul, Minnesota, from 1836 to 1842 inclusive.  Was financial agent for Allegheny college in 185051 and 1853; was married in 1851 in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, to Mrs. Jane Settlemires.  He died in Vernon, Jan. 31, 1875.  He was noted for his zeal and peace-making.  He was not great, but good, and died respected, the world being better for his having lived in it.
Source: History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties, Ohio, Publ. 1882 - Pg. 378-381



This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights