A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy

 History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties, Ohio
Published:  Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bros.

Trumbull County, Ohio
Pg. 368

     In the year 1800 Trumbull county was divided into two election districts, of which Vernon, Youngstown, and Warren constituted what was known as the southern district, and the house of Ephraim Quinby, Esq., at Warren, was made the

[Pg. 369]
Place for holding the elections of the district thus found.  Vernon at this time embraced a large expanse of territory from which several of the adjoining townships were subsequently formed.
     The formal organization of Vernon township as now constituted was effected in 1806.  Previous to the organization the township was known - locally, at least - as Smithfield, so called in honor of Martin Smith, one of the first settlers of the township, and why it was changed to Vernon is not know known.  At the time, however, Mr. Kinsman,  of Kinsman township, a zealous friend of Mr. Smith, however, treated the matter lightly, and remained in the township upon whose soil he was one of the first to cast his lot.  For the name which it now bears there is no local circumstance to suggest an assignable reason.


     The original proprietors of the lands now embraced in Vernon township were Gideon Granger, who owned the entire north half; Jeremiah Wilcox, the east, and a Mr. Shepherd, the east part of the south half.  From these men the original settlers made their purchases; the earliest settlements being made on the northeast part of the Wilcox tract.


     Vernon is located in the northeast part of the county in town six (east), and range one, and is bounded on the north by Kinsman, east by Pennsylvania, on the south by Hartford, and west by Johnston.




[Page 370] -


     In the spring of 1798 Thomas Giddings and Martin Smith, the first white men to come with in the bounds of the township for the purpose of making a settlement, paddled up the languid current of the Pymatuning in a canoe, having rowed all the way from Pittsburg.  Their course in the creek was often obstructed by the accumulation of drift and logs, and they frequently were compelled to cut away the obstructions before they could proceed, and becoming entangled in the drifts they were at times obliged to swim or wade ashore.  The craft which they thus slowly and tediously propelled toward their destined settlement in the wilds of the Reserve was laden with bacon, flour, and that other necessary article of consumption - a barrel of whiskey.  They finally landed at a point south of the present center bridge, on the land now owned by Havilah Smith, where between two trees they built a fire and probably remained one night.  Here they stored the provisions as securely as possible and began the exploration of the wilds of the then dense forests of Vernon.  They naturally followed the course of a little branch whose clear waters flowing into the Pymatuning led them to suppose that it flowed from a spring of good water, which was then a very necessary adjunct to a new settlement.  Following the devious and unknown course of the little brook they found its fountain-head in a spring near the present residence of Thomas Jennings - lot number two of the Wilcox tract.  The following day they proceeded to the south line of the township (then marked by blazed trees) at a point near the present residence of Samuel Merry, and cutting a pole for a measuring stick proceeded to lay off toward the north what they supposed to be the land of Mr. Wilcox, of whom they had purchased.  This brought them to the spring above mentioned, where they concluded to build a log house for temporary shelter while they cleared a place for more extensive improvements.
     They began at once to cut the logs and roll them together without hewing, and thus constructed a rude building.  The first tree fell before the axe of Thomas Giddings and was rolled in position as the foundation for the first human habitation in Vernon.  The sides of this building were thus made of unhewn logs, while the roof  was made of thatched brush and leaves.  It now appears that by some means they had either brought a horse with them, or, perhaps, bought it from a party who had made settlement south of them in Vienna or over the line in Pennsylvania, but they had no harness.  This necessity, however, was soon supplied by stripping the bark from an elm tree, from which they constructed the necessary gearing.  Two poles were then procured and lashed together for shafts, which extended long enough to drag on the ground, and thus answer for a rude sled on which the provisions, including whiskey, were dragged from the first landing place on the Pymatuning to the more secure shelter of the new house.  While they were engaged in chopping in the clearing the sounds of their axes naturally attracted the attention of the Indians, who would come to them and invariably ask for whiskey.  Mr. Giddings would tell them that he had none and would try to appease the appetite of his red neighbors with bread and such other eatables as he might have, but the presence of the barrel of whiskey (on which Mr. Giddings always sat as a guard during these interviews, and on the head of which the Indians would tap and say “heap full”) was a standing witness against him, and in this way gave him much annoyance, so much so that he finally rolled it under a large brush heap and hid it from view.
     Soon after the settlement of Giddings and Smith, Aaron Brockway, Colonel Holmes and Mr. Ely came, the former bringing his family, and his wife was the first white woman in the settlement.  The first permanent cabin was then erected for Brockway in July, 1798, and was built by Giddings, Smith and Ely, and stood near the present burial grounds at Vernon center.  At the raising of this cabin beside some men who came up from the settlement in Vienna, there were six Indians and one white woman.  Martin Smith, after sowing a field of wheat returned to Connecticut with Colonel Holmes, for his family, with which he returned the following spring.  He was accompanied on his return by Joseph DeWolf and Paul Rice, coming by way of Pittsburg and bringing valuable acquisitions consisting of two horses and an ox team.  After leaving Beaver on the return they were compelled to cut their way through the woods and underbrush to Vernon.

[Page 371] -

     At harvest time they cut the wheat that Smith had sown, and after threshing a grist took it to the mill at Beaver, which required an absence of nine days, and before they succeeded in obtaining wheat flour the settlers subsisted on wild meat and corn pounded in a hollowed stump with a spring-pole and pestle.  In the fall of 1799 Caleb Palmer and his son Warren, with Dr. Wilcox, and the family of Joseph DeWolf arrived in the settlement.  The beginning of the year 1800 found only the families of Smith, Brockway, and DeWolf in the Smithfield settlement.  Afterward immigration may be said to have set steadily in, and the township soon showed evident signs of general settlement.

     In the spring of 1800 Rev. Obed Crosby came and his family arrived the following year.  In June of this year Jeremiah Yemans, a lad of about nineteen years of age, was in company with several other men and boys bathing in the the Pymatuning, and being unable to swim he got beyond his depth and sank.  He was seen to rise the third time, but there seems to have been no one there with sufficient courage to go to his assistance.  The alarm that was given brought Martin Smith to the scene of the accident, and he immediately entered the water to find the body.  After making several dives he finally succeeded in bringing the body to the shore and it was carried to the house of his sister, Mrs. Aaron Brockway.  It appears that at this time the arrival of the first native born settler of Vernon was seriously expected at the house of Mr. Brockway, and on this account the dead body of the brother was laid in an out house.  That same evening a very heavy thunderstorm arose, and amidst these unfavorable circumstances the little stranger was born.  But it was not permitted to live, and the little community was called upon to attend this double funeral and open the first grave in the new settlement.  The following morning the selection was made for a cemetery, which was located on the grounds donated by Mr. Brockway on his farm, about a half-mile south of the center on the west side of the center road.
     The first person born in the township who lived to maturity was Zachariah Palmer, who was born in the fall of 1800.
     In June, 1800, Abner Moses came with his children - Abner, John, and Polly.  After them the families of Caleb Palmer and his son Warren, also Thomas Giddings after a brief absence, returned to the settlement with his newly married wife.  In 1801 the settlement consisted of the above families and their cabins ranged along the present center road.  Thomas Giddings lived nearly opposite the present residence of Havilah Smith, which was then the site of the cabin of his father Martin.  Caleb Palmer's cabin stood where William Thompson now resides; Joseph DeWolf where Mr. Fulton's house now stands; Obed Crosby where A. Woldrof lives, Abner Moses near the present residence of Dr. King; and Aaron Brockway where Matthew Davis now lives.  These were all log cabins of the rudest kind with no floor but “mother earth.”  They served as temporary lodgment for the hardy pioneers until the forests that surrounded them were subdued and the cleared fields answered in abundance to their industry, and the old logs were removed and more commodious residences took their places.

     In the early times Andrew Burns was the hatter and caaried on his trade east of Joseph DeWolf, with whom John Langley, then a lad of ten years of age, worked at scraping the fur from coon, muskrat, and other skins, of which was constructed some wonderful head-gear for the gentry of the times, especially for the militia officers, whose high-cocked hats and waving plumes were startling to behold and no doubt struck terror to the hearts of their foes at very long range.
     It was not often that a beaver was caught, and then generally by the Indians, and a hat made of this fur brought to the revenue of the pioneer hatter the sum of $10.

     Some time prior to 1810 Percy Sheldon came with his wife and one child and settled on the farm on which he lived and died.

     Plumb Sutliff about the same time took up the farm south and adjoining SheldonSamuel Sutliff also settled on the farm where he lived until his death in 1840.  Dr. Amos Wright settled on the land south of Plumb Sutliff, now owned by Ralsa Clark.  In 1803 Luther and Thomas Thompson made the first improvement on the east side of the Pymatuning, on the farm now owned by James Brown.

     Morgan Banning was also an early settler on the east side of Thompson.  Ewing Wright settled near the present Baptist church. 

[Page 372] -
He was a blacksmith, and also manufactured bells.
     The first wedding in the township occurred about 1802 under rather singular circumstances.  It appears that Josiah Pelton, of Killingsworth, Connecticut, had made purchase of a section of land in Gustavus, and after a visit to the wilderness he proclaimed that he would give one hundred acres of land to the woman who would first make her home there.  This offer was quickly accepted by his son Jesse in behalf of Ruhamah DeWolf of Granby, Connecticut.  She came with her father to Vernon, where the marriage ceremony was performed by Martin Smith, Esq.  She remained in Vernon till a clearing was made and a log cabin erected on her farm in Gustavus.  The cabin was raised by the men of Vernon on July 4, 1802.  Mrs. Pelton did not move to the cabin until December of that year, and her husband, while at work on the farm, brought all his bread from Vernon.  On his visits back and forth he met with many incidents, among which it is related that at one time he came across a panther in a tree on the bank of the Pymatuning.  He had no gun with him, but leaving his dog and a “paddy,” made of his hat and coat, to guard the animal, he returned a distance of about three miles for his gun.  On his return he succeeded in killing the animal, which measured nearly seven feet.
     The first saw-mill was built by Joseph DeWolf in 1800, on Mill creek, and was located about one mile northwest of Vernon center.

     General Martin Smith was the first justice of  the peace, in 1800, and his commission was signed by Arthur St. Clair, and dated at Chillicothe.  Titus Brockway was constable this same year.  The marriage of the latter to Minerva Palmer was the second wedding in Vernon.

     Joseph DeWolf framed the first barn for Martin Smith.  It was covered with white oak boards two feet wide, rabitted on the plate.  On them was a cleat four inches wide, fastened with spikes made by the blacksmith.  John Boswell constructed the first loom for Mrs. Rutledge, sister of Mrs. Aaron Brockway, who lived where Richard Brown now lives.  At the completion of this structure the neighbors from far and near, especially the women, gathered to see if the machine would work, as it was something much needed in the settlement.  The timbers for the loom were hewn out roughly with a common axe, and were sufficient for the construction of an ordinary house in these days, but it proved to be a good one, and the garments of the early settlers were nearly all produced from this rude loom.




     Rev. Joseph Badger, the Connecticut missionary to the Reserve, made the first efforts to ward the organization of the “Church of Christ in Hartford, Vernon and Kinsman,” as early as 1802.  In the following year, Friday, Sept. 16, 1803, a meeting was called at the house of Martin Smith, at which Rev. Badger presided, and the following persons formed the first organization, namely, Edward Brockway and Sarah, his wife; Timothy Crosby, Aaron and Sarah Bates, Titus Brockway, Plumb Sutliff, Susannah

[Page 373] -



[Page 374] -







[Page 375] -





     The question of human slavery in the United States early agitated the lovers of “freedom and equality before the law for all men,” in Vernon.  The church organizations early incorporated in their creeds the radical emancipation view of this question.  This is especially true of the Free-will Baptist church at Burg Hill, as a reference to its records will prove, and, in fact, most if not all the leading citizens of the locality generally were early champions of the “bondmen.” The famous “underground railroad” had a good paying branch through Vernon, and many able and efficient conductors were located at convenient stations along the road.
     The great question has been settled at last, and the incipient stages of an unparalleled struggle, together with the actors in them, be long to the past in which they are buried, and the operations of the “railroad” were shared so generally by all, that the naming of special ones might be deemed unjust to forgotten meritorious services of others.
     In the rural graveyard immediately south of Burg Hill stands a plain tombstone with this historic inscription:
     Mary P. Sutliff (nee Plumb) died Mar. 7, 1836, aged 23 years. The first secretary of the first Female Anti-slavery society of Vernon.
     On earth the friend of the needy; in heaven Jesus is her friend.


     The only flouring-mill in the township is now operated by Ransom Hull at Burg Hill, and was erected by him in 1874.  The building is a two story frame, 22 x 27, with a basement for machinery.  It has two runs of stone propelled by a twenty-horse steam engine, and has a capacity of ten barrels of flour and from three to four tons of chop.  The saw-mill was built by O. Hull & Son, in 1867, and has a capacity of three thousand feet per day.


     Burg Hill is the most important point of general business in the township, and is located on the Atlantic & Great Western railroad.  Old Burg Hill, whose name the new station retained, is located in Hartford, a short distance south.  The building of the railroad induced the removal to the present location.  Since then the village has gradually increased in importance and now forms a pleasant and well-to-do community.  Various departments of trade usually found in small villages and at railway stations are found here.  At present the business directory is one general store, one furniture store, two hotels, one saloon, one harness shop, one tin store, one drug store, a union school and two churches.
     Vernon center, the former point of trade in the township, still retains a post-office and the town house.  Since the abandonment of the Presbyterian church, a society of the Methodist Protestant church has been recently organized.

[Page 376] -


     The early settlers in the valley of the Pymatuning were often very much annoyed by visits from the strolling Indians who passed up and down the creek.  They never allowed an opportunity pass for drunken revels when by entreaty or barter they could procure whiskey.  The romantic idea of the Indian character as the “noble red man ” was not apparent in those who were known to the settlers of Vernon.  “Yankee Jim ” and “Cadashaway” were two well known Indians who frequently visited the settlement.  It is related of them that they once killed three elks in this neighborhood and took nothing but the tongues.  The antlers being afterwards found were kept for a long while in the settlement for ornaments.


     At one time a tribe of Indians were encamped south of Vernon and two of their party visited Martin Smith to procure some whiskey.  The old 'squire, after a great deal of persuasion and fair promises that they would not become intoxicated, at least in the neighborhood, finally acceeded to their desires. The Indians started homeward with their much coveted “fire-water,” but on their way forgot their promise to the 'squire and indulged freely, so much so that they both become intoxicated, and, as usual, began quarreling, which resulted finally in a fight in which one stabbed the other to death.
     Soon after Asahel Brainard, of Hartford, came upon the body of the dead Indian in the woods and became very much alarmed for his own safety, fearing that the Indians would accuse him of the murder and take summary vengeance.  He reported the case to Squire 'Smith, and soon the Indians also received word of the murder and speedily apprehended the criminal.  The body was brought in funeral procession by the tribe to Squire Smith's cabin, and Joseph DeWolf, at the request of the Indians, made a rude coffin of puncheon slabs, in which the body was placed.  It was then taken eastward near the banks of the Pymatuning where the grave was dug.  During all this time the author of the crime was present as a prisoner and self confessed murderer of his comrade, but made the plea that “whiskey did it;” and was compelled, as a punishment, to hold the feet of his dead victim in both his hands during the ceremony of burial.  At the grave a general powwow was held, and quite a number of the tribe were present.  The squaw of the murdered Indian put into the coffin a pair of moccasins, hunting shirt, his rifle, knives, pipe and tobacco, and finally a lighted coal of fire for the use of the dead Indian in the “happy hunting grounds.”  After these superstitious rites were performed the tribe took their departure down the Pymatuning, and the settlers who had gathered to witness the strange spectacle returned to their cabin homes.
     Time has long since removed all marks of the lone Indian grave, and the memory of it has now almost passed into the realms of legends with many stranger though truthful incidents of the early times in Vernon.



[Page 377] -


[Page 378 - 381] -



     GENERAL MARTIN SMITH, was born in Connecticut in 1762; removed to the Reserve in an early day and was among the first settlers of Vernon township.  He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.  He followed merchandising in an early day and was also by occupation a surveyor.  He was grand master Mason and in early times the Masonic lodge held their meetings in his house.  He married Sarah Kellogg, born in 1763, and had a family of eleven children.  They were prominent members of the Presbyterian church and their home was the usual stopping place of the pioneer preacher and missionary.  He died in Vernon in 1853; his wife July 22, 1834.

     HARVILAH SMITH, son of the subject of the preceding sketch, was born in Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan. 3, 1801.  said to be the second white child born in that township.  His birthplace was on the farm where he still lives near the center of Vernon.  His memory is still quite good and he retains a vivid recollection of the experiences of pioneer life.  He says he can well remember when a small boy of lying awake in bed at night listening to the wolves tearing the bark from the logs of the cabin.  Of the four hundred acres comprising the Smith homestead there is not a field in which he has not assisted in clearing it of the native forest.  He married, in 1824, Hannah Clark, born in Connecticut in 1802, and who removed to Vernon in 1813.  They have children as follows: Erastus, Eliza, Julia, Alexander H., Charles H., Lottie, and Hannah.

      LUMAN HOBART, son of Martin and Chloe (Jennings) Hobart, was born in Pennsylvania in 1812, February 7th.  His father was a native of Massachusetts, born Oct. 13, 1779, and his mother a native of Vermont, born in 1783.  They settled in Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1834, on the land now owned by Isaac Morford.  Ten years later they removed to Michigan, and in 1855 removed to New York State, where they died.  They had a family of eleven children, their names all beginning with L, viz:  Lorin, Lyman, Lester, Luman, Lucy, Lemuel, Lois, Lucius, Leonard, and Lewis; one died in infancy.  Martin Hobart was a commissioned officer in the War of 1812.  Luman Hobart came to Trumbull county with his parents in the fall of 1834, and has always since resided in Vernon township.  He married, July 4, 1837, Rebecca Splitstone, born in Vernon July 11, 1818, and has a family of six children:  Mary L., born in 1838, now wife of A. Brockway, residing in Mercer county, Pennsylvania; Oscar F., born 1840, married, Mar. 7, 1872, Elvira Mifford, of Oneida

[Page 382] -
county, New York, and has two children, Idelma R. and Sylvia J.; Clinton, born 1842, married Marilla Johnston, of Pennsylvania; Thomas C., born 1844, married Lizzie Storier of Vernon; Dudley, born 1846, married, Oct. 16, 1872, Lydia Bates, of Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and has three children, Sadie L., Albert C., and Ella May; Lima O., born 1850, married J. V. Bates, of Pennsylvania.  Three of the sons, Oscar, Clinton, and Corwin, were members of company G, One Hundred and Seventy-first Ohio National guard, served four months and were discharged with their regiment.  In 1852 Mr. Luman Hobart made a trip to California, being one hundred and nine days in reaching San Francisco, owing to sickness and other drawbacks, and followed mining about two years near Grass valley.  On his homeward trip in October, 1854, when out about twenty-four hours the vessel struck a rock and sank.  There were a large number of passengers aboard and many lives were lost.  Mr. Hobart fortunately saved his life, but lost nearly all of his effects.

     JOHN LANGLEY This venerable gentleman is one of the oldest residents of Trumbull county, as he was one of its earliest pioneers.  His residence in the county spans a period of over eighty years.  He was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, July 29, 1791.  He came to Trumbull county in 1801, and lived with his uncle, Andrew Burns until he was twenty-one.  He was drafted in the army in the War of 1812, and served three months under Captain Fobes, when he was discharged on account of sickness.  He then began the improvement of his land, situated east of the center of Vernon.  He put up a hewed log house, and barn, and in 1814 put in a small piece of wheat.  In 1816 he married Mary Waldorf, who came with her parents to Hubbard township in an early day.  She died in Vernon December 28, 1871.  Mr. Langley is the father of two sons and two daughters, viz: John W., George W., Rhoda, and Lucinda.  John W., born Oct. 11, 1817, married Ellen Millikin, and has four children.  George W., born April, 1820, married in 1844 Margaret Millikin, born Dec. 29, 1821, in Ireland, and has a family of four children, viz: Jasper, born March 10, 1846, married Movilla Fell and has two daughters; Emery, Apr. 1, 1850, married in 1875 Ellen Biggins, born in England in 1854, and has two children, Flora and Willie; Alfred, Mar. 1, 1855; Lucinda Dott - his sister's daughter - born Feb. 3, 1866.  Rhoda Langley, the third child of John and Mary Langley, was born July 25, 1824, died July 4, 1861.  Lucinda, born Dec. 20, 1831, died Mar. 10, 1866.  Mr. Langley, the subject of this sketch, was present at the first quarterly meeting held by the Methodist Episcopal church in Trumbull county.  The presiding elder as Jacob Gruber, and the meeting was held in the barn of Obed Crosby.

     FRANCIS HAYNES, son of Asa Haynes, Jr., was born in Connecticut, Dec. 24, 1811, and came to Ohio with his parents in 1817, the family settling in Vernon township, Trumbull county.  Colonel Haynes was born in Connecticut Mar. 29, 1791, and married in 1810, Sarah Rice, born in the same State the same year.  They had three children:  Francis, Eliza J., and Sylvia.  Colonel Hayes was an associate judge for several years.  He died Jan. 28, 1879, his wife Apr. 28, 1857.  Francis Haynes married in 1835, Mary A. Davis, born July 19, 1812, in New York.  They have a family of five children, viz.:  George F., Orlando W., Mary L., Amaret A., and Fayette M.  The three sons served in the late war.  Asa Haynes, Sr., the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, settled in Vernon in 1818.  They raised a family of ten children, all of whom lived to raise families.

     WILLIAM E. CHAPMAN, son of Erastus and Lydia (Leonard) Chapman, was born in Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1827.  His grandparents, William and Sylvia (Smith) Chapman, of Connecticut, came to Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1805, and settled in Vernon township.  They had a family of four children:  Erastus, Fanny, Electa, and SylviaErastus the father of William E., was born in Connecticut in 1794, came to Ohio with his parents, and subsequently married Lydia Leonard, born in Massachusetts in 1799, and had eight children.  Erastus Chapman died in Vernon in 1869.  William E., was born in Connecticut in 1794, came to Ohio with his parents, and subsequently married Lydia Leonard, born in Massachusetts in 1799, and had eight children.  Erastus Chapman died in Vernon in 1869.  William E. Chapman was married in 1848, to Charlotte Clark,, born in 1829, and she died in 1857.  He was again married in 1859 to Mary A. Sheldon, born in 1838.  He had two children by his first marriage:  Erastus C. and William R.

     RALSA B. CLARK was born in Hartford county, Connecticut, in 1796, and came with his parents

[Page 383] -
to Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1814.  His father, Eber B. Clark, was born in Connecticut in 1774, and his mother, Wealthy A. Holcomb, in 1775; she died in 1861.  They had a family of eleven children.  Ralsa Clark was united in marriage in 1823 to Dorothy B. Holcomb, born in 1799 in Connecticut.  They have had eight children, four of whom are living.  Mr. Clark, now one of the most wealthy farmers of the county, started in life a poor man; his prosperity and success are the result of his industry, foresight, and economy.  Laura S., a daughter of Mr. Clark, was born in Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1839, married in 1860 Jasper D. Mattocks, now a resident of Toledo.  They had two children, a boy and girl.

     JOSEPH P. WILLIAMS was born in Vernon township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan, 18, 1818.  His parents, Asmond and Mary (Sheldon) Williams, removed to Vernon in 1815.  Asmond Williams was born in 1790 and his wife in 1789.  He died in 1865 and she in 1869.  They reared a family of nine children—four are living.  Joseph P. married Vienna Proper, who was born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, in 1822.  She died in 1865.  He is the father of three children: Sarah U., Amanda B., and Joseph P.  Mr. Williams is a farmer and dairyman.

     ALFRED F. WALDORF, son of John and Elizabeth Waldorf, was born in Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1818.  His grandfather, John Waldorf, Sr., was a native of New Jersey, born 1750, and came to Ohio in 1802, and died in Hubbard township, Trumbull county, in 1810.  He had a family of six children.  His son John, Jr., father of the subject of this sketch, was born in New Jersey, in 1789, and died in Vernon in 1876.  They had a family of thirteen children, of whom four are living.  Alfred F. was united in marriage in 1842 to Annis l. Wadsworth, daughter of Henry and Laura Wadsworth, born in New York State in 1823.  Mr. and Mrs. Waldorf have a family of six children, as follows:  Laura A., John H., Gertrude, Emma, Ada M. and Ida M. (twins).  Eugene is dead.  Mr. and Mrs. Waldorf are members of the Free-will Baptist church.

     GEORGE K. PELTON was born in Gustavus, Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1818.  His maternal grandfather, Joseph DeWolf, was born in Hartland, Connecticut, in 1762, and settled in Vernon township, Trumbull county, one mile south of the center, in the spring of 1800.  He came out a short time in advance of his family, who followed with an ox team.  On the way one of the oxen died, and the cow, which they were bringing with them, was yoked up in his place and the journey completed in this way.  Joseph DeWolf married Sarah Gibbons (born in 1764), and had a family of thirteen children.  He was a soldier in the war of independence, serving through the whole struggle.  As a pioneer he battled not only with the forests of Vernon, but frequently with the wild beasts as well.  On one occasion he had quite an adventure with a wounded deer.  On going up to cut its throat it sprang up and at him, knocking him down.  On regaining his feet he ran for a log that lay up some distance from the ground.  Whenever the deer would spring at him he would roll down under the log and the deer would land on the other side of the tree, and he would then roll back and climb upon the log.  This proceeding was kept up for some time, finally wearing the animal out, but not without himself receiving many bruises.  Mr. DeWolf died in Vernon in 1846, and his wife two years later.  They were highly esteemed by the entire community in which they resided so long.  Their oldest daughter, Ruhamah, was born in Connecticut in 1783 and became the wife of Joseph Pelton, a native of Saybrook, Connecticut, and died in 1872. Mr. Pelton served in the War of 1812.  They had eleven children.  George K. married in 1848 Mary A. King, daughter of William King, of Kinsman.  She was born in 1821 and died in 1874.  Two children is the result of this union—Myra and John S., both at home.

     IRA CASE, son of Abner and Hannah Case, of Barkhamstead, Connecticut, was born Mar. 15, 1782, came to Ohio about the year 1805 and settled in Vernon, Trumbull county, where he lived until his death which took place May 25, 1837.  His wife was Ursula, daughter of Uriah and Mehitabel Hyde, born Jun3 10, 1786, in Lyme, Connecticut, died in October, 1864.  They had a family of seven children, namely: Julia, born Aug. 10, 1808, married Norris Hum

[Page 384] -
phrey, and died Jan. 26, 1870; Imri, born Mar. 4, 1810; Uriah N., born Aug. 26, 1811, of Orangeville; Hannah M., born Mar. 6, 1813, wife of George Fell (second), of Vernon: Eveline, born July 12, 1819, died about 1860; Lucy C., born May 7, 1821, died in 1879; George S., born Apr. 1, 1826, of Vernon.  He married Mary Hoagland, of Brookfield, born Oct. 15, 1836.  They have had five children, as follows:  Ida L. born July 27, 1856, died in Colorado July 14, 1880; Jesse H., born Dec. 7, 1858; Mary E. born Mar. 26, 1862; Cora D., born Dec. 5, 1865, died Sept. 5, 1866; Minnie D., b. Aug. 26, 1869.

     JAMES M. DICKERMAN, son of Isaac and Ann Dickerman, was born in Massachusetts in 1826; came to Ohio in 1854 and settled in Bloomfield township, Trumbull county.  Later he moved to Vernon township and at present is proprietor of the hotel at Burg Hill.  His wife Harriet was born in Massachusetts in 1828.  In 1862 he enlisted in company B, One Hundred and Fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served nine months.





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights