East of the
Mahoning in the southern tier of townships of this county
the country for several miles presents a broken surface
consisting of a succession of low hills, knolls, ridges and
valleys. From the tops of the principal elevations the
observer obtains a fine view of picturesque scenery in which
the results of the handiwork of Nature and man's creative
industry are harmoniously blended. Fertile fields,
green woodlands and sparkling streamlets delight the eye,
and the subdued sounds of industrial activity greet the ear.
At the foot of the hills are busy towns and hamlets, whence
arise such dense clouds of black smoke that one would almost
fancy himself near the workshops of the Titans and Vulcans
of antiquity. Toiling locomotives, dragging heavy
loads of coal and ore, wend their way through the valleys,
and from numerous hillsides arise the puffs of smoke and
steam which attest that the coal-beds beneath the earth are
being made to yield up their hidden wealth. Everywhere
the steam-engine is at work, even
Down in the depths
of the fathomless mine
Its tireless arm doth
Where the rocks never saw the sun's decline
Or the dawn of the
contains some of the most extensive coal deposits of the
Mahoning valley. Two railroads, branches of the New
York, Pennsylvania & Ohio and the Lake Shore & Michigan
Southern, pass through the township, having
their termini in Youngstown. Numerous coal roads
branch off from these and run to the various banks in
Hubbard. The coal and iron interests of this township
have contributed largely towards increasing the wealth and
prosperity of the inhabitants.
Hubbard also contains much good farming land. The
soil is variable, consisting of clayey, sandy, and gravelly
loams. As the most of the surface is high and rolling,
the soil is well-drained and arable.
Little Yankee run is the chief stream in the township.
Crossing the township line about three-fourths of a mile
east of the northwestern corner of Hubbard, it flows
southerly and south easterly, past the village of Coalburg
to a point very near the center of the township and just
north of Hubbard village, where it makes a U shaped turn and
flows easterly a mile; then bending to the northward passes
over into the south east of Brookfield township, where it
enters the Shenango river. The stream in its course
through Hubbard township is very crooked; and the New York,
Pennsylvania & Ohio railroad, which follows up its valley
from Hubbard village, crosses the Little Yankee five times
in the township.
Hubbard township is the southeastern corner of Trumbull
county, and adjoins the Pennsylvania line on the east.
Brookfield is the next township north of it; Liberty lies on
the west, and Coitsville, Mahoning county, on the south.
Hubbard is the third township in the first range of New
HUBBARD, JR., an original member of the Connecticut
Land company, was the owner of the land of township three,
range one, and it was sold out to settlers by his agent,
The township was organized into an election
district in 1806, and named after its original owner.
No records of early elections can be found.
Hubbard was first
settled by people from Connecticut, New Jersey, Virginia,
and other eastern States; a few Pennsylvanians were also
among the pioneers. Very few of the original families
are now represented in the township. The growth of
population was very slow. In 1834 there were only
about one hundred voters in the township.
TYLEE and family were the first settlers. They
came from Middletown, Connecticut, and arrived in Hubbard
Sept. 1, 1801. Mr. Tylee chose as a site for
his cabin a spot northwest of the present corners of the
village, and there began the life of a pioneer. He
married Anna Sanford, and they had a family of
five children when they came here. Mr. Tylee
acted as agent for Nehemiah Hubbard for the
sale of the land of the township to settlers, for many
years. He was born in Litchfield county, Connecticut,
in 1766, and died in Hubbard in 1845. His first wife
bore ten children, and his second, Elizabeth Ayres,
one. The names of these children were Anna,
Laura, Samuel, Mary, Sanford,
William, Julia, Hannah, Maria A.
and Olivia. Five are still living, viz:
William, in Kansas; Hannah (Bussey), New
Orleans; Maria (Clingen), Hubbard; Eliza
(Hagar), Hubbard; and Olivia (Barnheisel)
San Francisco. Samuel Tylee was the first
justice of the peace in the township and also a very
prominent business man, whose enterprise contributed not a
little to the prosperity of the settlement.
TYLEE, brother of Samuel, settled on the
northeastern corner lot at the cross-roads in 1802.
The village became known as Tylee's corners.
His children are all dead. Their names were
Clarissa, Samuel, Alfred, Marietta,
Rebecca, and Homer.
BURNETT, from Sussex county, New Jersey, settled in
this township about the year 1801. He lived to the age
of ninety-four. His son Silas, born in
December, 1802, was the first white child born in the
township. William Burnett was twice
married, and reared eleven children to mature years.
Those now living are: Silas, Warren; Rachel
(Bowen), Iowa; Zilla (Brockway), Iowa;
Joseph, Hartford; and by his second wife, William
and Peter, in Pennsylvania.
BURNETT, SILAS, EDWARD, and STEPHEN, were also early
settlers and nearly all passed their lives in the township.
As definite dates
of the several settlements cannot now be ascertained, we
mention below several representatives of the pioneers, most
of whom came to the township between 1802 and 1808:
JEREMIAH WOLF, from New
Jersey, settled on lot seventy-two in the southeast of the
township, being among the first arrivals. His sons
John and Cephas still live in Hubbard. His
daughter Elizabeth, now Mrs. McGill, of
Poland, is said to have been the first white female child
born in Hubbard. He was a nail-maker, and made the
nails used by 'Squire Tylee in the first frame
house erected in the township.
JESSE HALL, from New Jersey, was an early settler in the
northern part of the township. So many New Jersey
settlers were located on the road running north from the
center that it was long known as "Jersey street."
Jesse Hall, Jr., is the only survivor of the original
family now in
JOHN AYRES was another of the Jersey settlers. His
son John lived and died on the old homestead.
The family name is not represented in the township at
CORNELIUS DILLEY, another of
the pioneers, had two sons who passed their days in Hubbard
- John on the old homestead, and Thompson in
MARTIN SWARTZWELTER and his
father, of New Jersey, settled in the northwest of this
township. His son Thomas lives on part of the
SAMUEL LESLIE, father of James,
of Irish descent, or of Irish nativity, was also one of the
pioneers of the northwest of Hubbard.
MATTHEW MITCHELL, a native of
Ireland, settled in the west of Hubbard in 1806, coming
hither from Pittsburg. His son, Nathaniel Mitchell,
Esq., is now the only survivor of the family of two sons
and three daughters.
WILLIAM PORTERFIELD, from
Washington county, Pennsylvania, was an early settler in the
northwest of the township, on a place which had been
somewhat improved by a man named Chamberlain.
Robert, the oldest son of William
Porterfield, now lives on the old place.
JOHN JEWELL, also from Allegheny
county, Pennsylvania, settled in the Porterfield
neighborhood. His son, Alexander M., now living
in Warren, raised his family in Hubbard.
JOEL SMITH was among the first who located in the
southwest of the township. He moved away quite early.
of the southwest of Hubbard, reared a family of four
children, John, James, Andrew, and
Elizabeth. All lived and died in this township
excepting John, who died in Coitsville.
AMOS SMITH settled in the southwest of the township.
His sons, William, Amos, Nathan and Joel,
lived in this township and reared families.
lived on the farm
adjoining that of Amos Smith, Sr. His son
George brought up his family here. Hugh
died on the old place; John went West.
lived on a
place adjoining the Porterfield farm. His son
David reared a family of four children here, and died
on his way to California of cholera, in 1832.
DAVID BAILEY, from Connecticut,
settled on the south lot of the township, on the road
leading to the center. His sons were David, Seth,
Tryan, and Ritter. He also had four
WILLIAM PARRISH was one of the
early Maryland settlers. His son John, who is
one of the oldest residents of Hubbard, still lives upon the
CLARK families were among the first of the Yankee settlers
in the southern part of the township. The names are no
longer to be found among the residents of Hubbard.
Edward Bussey, about 1803, settled north of the
K. CRAMER, a native of New Jersey, settled in east
Hubbard in 1816. His father, Captain Frederick
Cramer, was under the immediate command of Washington
during six years of the Revolutionary war. Mr.
Cramer came here a young man and married Susan
Price, by whom he had four children, Elizabeth,
Sarah (deceased), Naomi, and Susan.
By his second wife, Matilda Pierce, seven
children were born: J. P., Hannah, S. P.,
A. K., J. H., Matilda, and A. W.
Two of these, S. P. and A. K., reside in
Hubbard and are engaged in the drug business. A. K.
Cramer, Sr., was one of the organizers and main
supporters of the Baptist church. He was justice of
the peace two terms and township clerk thirty consecutive
years. In 1865 he moved to Iowa. He died in 1873 aged
seventy-seven. Mrs. Cramer died in 1877
aged seventy-three. Of their sons, S. P., was
township clerk for years, and justice of the peace one term.
A. K., Jr., has been twice elected justice and three
first frame house in Hubbard township was erected in 1808 by
Samuel Tylee. It is still standing in
The first justice of the peace was Samuel Tylee,
who also served in later years. George Frazier,
Joel Smith, and Thomas Robinson
were also among the early justices.
George Frazier built the first brick
house in the township
A. M. JEWELL
REBECCA C. JEWELL
nearly all put up in haste, and many of them still stand
unimproved in appearance. Main street is long and thickly
dotted with houses and stores for nearly a mile and a half.
The largest mercantile establishment in Hubbard is that
of George M. McKelvey & Co., who have been in
business in this place since Sept. 1, 1877. The
furnace and coal companies have an interest in the store,
and from it the work men receive supplies. Mr. G.
M. McKelvey, the head of the firm, was born in Indiana
county, Pennsylvania, in 1849. He was a merchant in
Youngtown ten years before coming to Hubbard. In
politics he is Republican; in religion, a member of the
United Presbyterian church. He is married, and has two
D. J. Edwards, at present the clerk of the Ohio
House of Representatives, is another of the successful and
respected merchants of this place.
A summary of the business of the village shows the
following: twelve stores of all kinds, one hotel, numerous
saloons, seven churches, one National bank, three
physicians, two lawyers, one newspaper, one grist-mill, one
rolling-mill, two blast furnaces, etc.
Hubbard village, comprising a tract about one mile square,
was incorporated in 1868. It now has an estimated
population of about two thousand. The mayors, since
the incorporation, have been: Nathaniel Mitchell,
L. R. Prior, John Cramer,
Add. Randall, Alexander Campbell,
J. D. Cramer, and A. K. Cramer. The
latter is now serving his third term. The officers
consist of mayor, six councilmen, clerk, treasurer, marshal,
and one street commissioner.
to the coal business the manufacture of iron has contributed
most to the prosperity of Hubbard.
Hubbard furnace, number one, was erected in 1868;
number two, in 1872. Both are owned by Andrews
& Hitchcock. Eighty to ninety men are employed.
The daily capacity of both furnaces in one hundred and ten
Hubbard rolling-mill was built in 1872 by the Hubbard
Rolling mill company. It is now owned by Jesse
Hall & Sons, who were partners in the firm from the
start. The mill has twelve puddling furnaces, one
sixteen-inch muck train of rolls, one twelve inch bar mill,
and one eight inch guy mill. Product, merchant guide
iron. Capacity, one hundred and fifty tons of muck bar
per week. Employment is given to about two hundred
was organized in 1873 as Hubbard Savings bank, with A. M.
Jewell president, and G. M. Dill cashier, and continued as a
savings bank until 1878, when it was converted into a
National bank with a cash capital of $50,000. The
present officers are A. M. Jewell, president; R.
H. Jewell, cashier; and the following directors:
A. M. Jewell, D. J. Dennison, S. L. Kerr, H. H. Long, A. T.
Mizner, G. H. Kerr and S. Q. March.
first newspaper in Hubbard was established by A. D.
Fassett, and run by him from July, 1868, to November,
1872. For a few months it was called the Standard, and
was printed in the Courier office at Youngstown. In
the winter of 1868–69 Mr. Fassett bought a
press and type and began the Miners' Journal, which was at
first a five-column folio with but small circulation.
It afterwards attained a circulation of two thousand eight
hundred, and was the organ of the coal miners of Ohio.
In Nov., 1872, Mr. Fassett bought the Courier
office in Youngstown, moved his paper thither, and continued
its publication, changing the name to the Miner and
Manufacturer, making it a daily - the first daily published
in the Mahoning valley. The Hubbard office was sold to
W. T. McGaughey, who ran a local newspaper for a
time, then sold out. The paper was continued a while, then
suspended. Ford Wharton next published the Hubbard
Signal for a year or two.
The Hubbard Enterprise was started in the fall of 1877
by F. J. Horton, editor and proprietor. In 1880
W. R. Wadsworth assumed the management of the paper,
provided new type and enlarged the paper. Under his
control the circula-
tion of the Enterprise has trebled. The paper is a
four-page seven-column sheet, largely devoted to home
affairs, county matters, and manufacturing notes. It
is independent in politics. The enterprise receives a
considerable amount of advertising and turns out good job
work. The paper is neatly printed and is a very
wide-awake local journal.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
THE BAPTIST CHURCH.
THE DISCIPLES CHURCH.
WELSH CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.
WELSH BAPTIST CHURCH.
THE LUTHERAN CHURCH.
cemetery of this township is located a short distance north
of Hubbard village. Interments were made here very
early, as the old-fashioned grave-stones would attest, even
if no inscriptions were upon them. These stones are
common flag-stones obtained from the creek bed, rudely
carved and rudely lettered. Many departures from
modern methods of orthography are observable. The
oldest stone in the graveyard was erected
To the memory of
who departed this life
January 16, 1809,
aged thirty years
a shoemaker, and was drowned by breaking through the ice
into the Mahoning river, while he was carrying a bundle of
shoes. The shoes were
found lying upon the ice, and led to the recovery of his
Another of these old grave-stones chronicles the
In memory of
who departed this life
February 2, 1818,
aged 45 yrs.
The first female citizen of Hubbard.
Of early settlers
Ida, wife of Barney Lyons, died in 1812, aged
Barnabas Lyons died in 1841, aged eighty;
Amos Ayres died in 1817, aged fifty-two;
Samuel Price, aged seventy-six, died in 1827;
Cornelius Dilly died in 1824, aged fifty-three;
Mary wife of Enos Burnett, died in 1813, aged
John Burnett died in 1843, aged forty-six;
Silas Burnett, born in New Jersey, in 1791, died in
Hubbard in 1878.
In the northern
part of the township adjoining the Disciples' church is
another graveyard of more recent origin.
TEMPLE OF HONOR.
in 1881 with about twenty members. Its membership is
now eighty and constant additions are being made. The
society is in a most flourishing condition. Its
present officers are: E. O. Jones, C. R.; Isaac
Green, sub-C. R.; W. R. Wadsworth, P. C. R.;
James J. Davis, F. S., and L. E. Davis,
This is a small
village in the northwest of Hubbard township. It was
built up by the mining business and has declined with it.
At one time Coalburg had a population of about eight
hundred, several stores, and was a thriving place. It
was hastily built and has few good buildings . The
population is now about three hundred. The first store
was started about 1863 by William Powers & Co.
Jacob Sanders was the first postmaster.
Coalburg is a station on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
A. M. JEWELL
at home with her parents, and Louisa (Veach), in
Allegheny City, Pennsylvania.
was born in Hubbard township, Trumbull county, Ohio.
His father, Jesse Hall, was a native of New Jersey,
and came to Ohio in 1801, and settled in Hubbard township,
about two miles north of the village, and was one of the
earliest settlers in the township. He died in 1843,
leaving a family of ten children, and widow—Hannah,
Esther, William, Margaret, Jacob, Sarah, Elizabeth, Mary,
Christian, and Jesse. Sarah, Christian, and
Jesse are the only surviving members. Mrs.
Hall died in 1861. Both she and her husband
were members of the Disciple church. His son Jesse
has always lived in the township, upon the old homestead
until 1874. He has been engaged in iron manufacture
and operating in coal in addition to his farming. He
was married in 1833 to Hannah J. Sheline, daughter of
David Sheline, of Carroll county. They
have nine children — Caroline, Miriam,
David, Christiana, Nancy, William,
Clara, Harriet, and Jesse. Mr.
and Mrs. Hall are members of the Disciple church.
an old resident of Hubbard, was born in Chester county,
Pennsylvania, in January, 1805. His father, Mathew
Mitchell, a native of Ireland, came to America in
1803. He resided in Philadelphia a short time, then
went to Pittsburg, and came to Ohio in 1805, and settled in
Hubbard, in the western part of the township. He
cleared up a good farm and resided here till 1827, then
moved to Liberty township, where he lived till his death.
He died in June, 1831. There were five children in his
family. Nathaniel is the only surviving member.
Mrs. Mitchell died in October, 1874, in the nintey-sixth
year of her age. Mr. Nathaniel
Mitchell has always lived in this township, and is one
of the oldest settlers. He has made farming his
principal business. He was married, in 1831, to
Miss Elizabeth Murdock, daughter of Abram Murdock,
of Coitsville. They have had five children, two of
whom are living—Mary J. and Maria. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell
and daughters are members of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Mitchell has been a justice of the peace
for thirty-six years, and is probably the oldest 'squire in
the county. He has been township trustee, town clerk,
farmer, Hubbard township, Trumbull county, was born May 12,
1799, in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. His
father, William, was a native of Cumberland county,
Pennsylvania, and came to Ohio in December, 1804, locating
in Liberty township, where he lived about eighteen months.
He then removed to Hubbard, where his son now resides.
William Porterfield died Sept. 14, 1831. His
wife died Oct. 7, 1838. The family consisted of seven
children—John, Robert, Jane, William,
James, Sarah, and Mary. John,
Jane, James, and Sarah are dead.
Mr. and Mrs. Porterfield were among the earliest members
of the Presbyterian church in the township. Robert
Porterfield has resided in this township since 1806.
He was married Nov. 1, 1838, to Hannah McMurray,
daughter of William McMurray, of Liberty
township. They had six children: William H., Mary
A., James M., Araminta M., Hannah M., and Charlotte J.—all
living at home except Mary, who is deceased.
The family belong to the Presbyterian church. Mr.
Porterfield has served as coroner in this county.
CORNELIUS PRICE, farmer,
Hubbard township, Trumbull county, was born in Hubbard
township, July 8, 1812. His father, Archibald
Price, was a native of New Jersey and came to Hubbard in
1807, and settled in the northwestern part of the township,
and was a pioneer of that neighborhood. Four brothers
of Archibald Price came to Ohio and settled in this
county. Their names were James, David,
John, and Jacob. Archibald
resided upon his farm until his death in 1847. His
widow survived until 1873. The family consisted of ten
children—Samuel, Frederick, Cornelius,
Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary, Abram,
Archibald, Hannah, and James.
Samuel, Frederick, and James are deceased.
Cornelius has always been a farmer, and a resident of
this township. In 1837 he married Anna
Burnett, born in 1819. They have four children—Mathias
S., Harriet L., Smith B., and Clara M.
Mr. Price is a member of the Disciple church.
Politically he is a Democrat.
LEWIS S. BURNETT, farmer,
Hubbard township, Trumbull county, was born in Hubbard
township, Apr, 9, 1836. Smith Burnett, his
native of New Jersey, came to the eastern part of the
township at a very early date. His father settled on
what is now the Beach farm, where he passed
the remainder of his days. Smith Burnett
died in the township in 1846 or 1847. The family
consisted of twelve children, whose names were Harriet
Ann, Marietta, Edmund, Lucy,
St. Clair, Malinda, Jane, Lewis,
Seymour, and Sarah. One child died in
infancy. Harriet, Marietta, St.
Clair, and Sarah are dead. Mrs.
Burnett died in 1870. L. S. Burnett is a
carpenter by trade, but carries on farming. He was
married Oct. 23, 1856, to Miriam Hall,
daughter of Jesse Hall, of this township.
They have had seven children, six of whom are living:
Lois L., Charles S., Almon L., Hattie L., Sarah J.,
Loretta, and Jesse. Sarah is deceased.
Mr. and Mrs. Burnett and their oldest daughter
are members of the Disciple church.
JUDSON RAY NOBLE,
Hubbard township, Trumbull county, was born in Kent,
Litchfield county, Connecticut, Mar. 17, 1805, and came to
Ohio with his father, David Noble, the same
year. David Noble settled in Boardman.
His log cabin stood where the Methodist church now stands.
He died in 1816, February 24th. Mrs. Noble
died in April, 1836. Their children were Roxilana,
Austin B., Judson R., William N.,
Calvin L., and David T., all living except
Roxilana. J. R. Noble lived in Boardman
until he was about twenty-five years of age, when he went to
Youngstown and worked at carpentry a few years. He
then moved to Niles, where he resided until 1870. He
married, Dec. 31, 1829, Mary Ann Robbins,
daughter of Josiah Robbins, of Youngstown. By
this marriage two children were born—Sabrina S. and
Calvin. Calvin died young. Mrs.
Noble died in 1847. In February, 1850, Mr.
Noble married Elizabeth Price, daughter
of Archibald Price. She was born May 26,
18 14. They have three children —Mary,
Hannah, and Anna. Mrs. Noble
has been a member of the Disciple church forty- five years.
Mr. Noble united with the Disciples in 1842.
He has served as justice of the peace; was court crier
twenty-four years, and constable several years in Niles.
GEORGE W. RANDALL,
farmer, Hubbard township, Trumbull county, was born Oct. 20,
1821, in Hubbard township. John Randall,
his father, was a native of Washington county, Pennsylvania,
and came to Ohio with his father, William, in 1806,
and settled on lot forty-eight in the southeast of the
township. John Randall began farming on
lot forty-nine and resided there until his death, which
occurred in 1872. There was not a death in the family
until Mrs. Randall died in 1871. The
family consists of nine children, viz : Amos,
George, William W., Nancy L., Joel S.,
Angeline, John, Austin, and Addison. The
parents belonged to the Methodist church. George
Randall has resided in the township all of his life
excepting one year which he spent in Pennsylvania. In
1843 he married Anna M. Burnett, daughter of James
Burnett. This union was blessed with six children,
five of whom survive: Ariminta, Albert O. and
Orpha A. (twins), Charles M., Mary R., and
Jennie M. Charles is dead. Mr. and Mrs.
Randall and two of the children are members of the
Methodist Episcopal church.
G. R. STEVENSON, M. D., a
well known resident of Hubbard, was born in Jefferson
county, Ohio, in 1838. His father, David, was a
native of Ireland. The family is of Scotch descent.
Mr. Stevenson studied medicine with Dr.
Gibson in Illinois and graduated at Rush college in
1858, and has since been in practice in different
localities. He came to Hubbard in 1867. He has a
large and lucrative practice. He was married in 1859
to Miss Amanda Dentler, of Lawrence
county, Pennsylvania. One son by this marriage. Mrs.
Stevenson died in 1860. Mr.
Stevenson's second marriage occurred in 1868, to Miss
Ellen Bell, daughter of William Bell,
of Mercer county, Pennsylvania. Three children were
born of this union. Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson are
members of the United Presbyterian church.
END OF CHAPTER VIII.
RETURN TO TABLE
OF CONTENTS >