This township was
known under the surveys of the Connecticut Land company as
number five, first range, in the Connecticut Western Reserve.
It was called Hartford, after the State capital of the same
name. According to draft book, page 225, draft seven-three
was drawn by Urial Holmes and Ephraim Root.
This draft drew all of Hartford township, containing seventeen
thousand three hundred and seventeen acres of land. The
Connecticut Land company executed a deed Apr. 22, 1798, to
Root and Holmes for a consideration of $12,903.23,
being less than seventy-five cents per acre.
The township was surveyed into lots by Raphael
Cooke. It was bounded on the east by the Pennsylvania
State line; on the north by Smithfield, afterwards named
Vernon; on the west by Westfield, afterwards named Fowler;
and on the south by Brookfield.
According to Stowe's map of Trumbull county in 1800,
numbers four and five in range one and two, and also numbers
six, seven, eight and nine in range one, two, and three, were
known as Vernon.
Elections were held at Burg Hill, number five, for this
territory of Vernon, which is now divided into sixteen
townships, lying in Trumbull and Ashtabula counties.
Burg Hill, located in the north part of the township of
Hartford, may have received its name from the fact that it was
the business point and place for elections and militia musters
for many years early in the century.
The earliest records to be found show that a separate
township organization must have been in existence in 1811.
Elam Jones was elected township clerk at the April
election of that year.
Legal papers bearing date as late as 1814 were drawn in
some cases, as if the names of Vernon and Hartford were both
used to designate this township.
The deed of Holmes and Root to Titis Brockway,
drawn in 1803, in which they were reserved one acre of land for
a "green," on which to build a "meeting-house," speaks of the
township as "Hartford." In a deed of Edward Brockway
to his son Titus, drawn in 1802, the township is called
Vernon, "in the territory of the United States, northwest of the
The first deed by said Urial Holmes and
Ephraim Root was made Sept. 23, 1799, to Edward Brockway,
conveying 3,194 acres and a fraction of land, being lots seven,
eight, fifteen, sixteen, twenty-one, and twenty-two, for a
consideration of $500, being less than sixteen cents an acre.
According to tradition he exchanged his farm of two hundred
acres in Hartford, Connecticut for nearly one-fourth of the
township, and perhaps this formed a part of the consideration in
addition to the amount mentioned in the deed. A number of
others exchanged their farms for land here.
[Page 251] -
[Page 252] -
The first settlement was made in 1799, by Edward Brockway, Isaac
Jones, and Asahel Brainard, who spent their first night
by a large tree, then standing about one-fourth of a mile north of
the center of the township, nearly opposite the residence of the
late Elijah Woodford, now owned by Oliver Perrine.
They commenced a clearing on the farm
long owned by the late William Bond, Edward
Brockway cutting the first tree. After having built a
cabin and sowed a field of wheat, Brockway and Jones
returned East and brought out their families in the summer of 1800.
Brainard remained alone through the winter,
engaged in clearing land. His nearest neighbor was Martin
Smith, of Vernon. Settlement had been made previously
at Vienna, Youngstown, and Warren. It was during this winter
that two Indians, Flin and Kanoshua, came to
Brainard's cabin, and after partaking somewhat freely of
whiskey, left apparently on good terms, but soon after fell into an
altercation, in which the former was killed. He was shot near
the residence on the dairy farm of D. R. Chapman. After
the transaction it was feared that trouble with the Indians might
grow out of it, and Smith being best acquainted, started for
their village near Greenville, Pennsylvania, to notify them and put
the best face possible on the matter, but had proceeded no farther
than Orangeville, when he met them coming. The Indians having
collected from the various encampments, a consultation was held, and
after due deliberation, it was decided that “Indian no kill him, but
whiskey kill him.” He was soon after buried by them with the
usual ceremonies, near the east line of the farm on which the first
cabin was built. The survivor, instead of departing for parts
unknown, as it was feared he might, leaving the blame to rest on
others, had informed his friends of the matter, who were coming to
bury their dead. A few years later some medical students
exhumed his remains, and his bones were kept by them for a long time
in the office of Dr. Wilcox, at Burg Hill.
at Burg Hill on the farm now owned by OSman Hull. Charles
Merry came the same year with his family, and settled within the
present limits of Orangeville.
the pioneer settler in the south part of the township, bought three
and twenty-seven acres in lot thirty, of Holmes and Root, for a consideration of $816, the deed
being dated Dec. 31, 1800.
He came into the township with his family in June,
1801, and located on the diagonal road about half way up the hill.
His first place of shelter was made by felling a large chestnut
tree, taking off the bark, placing one end on the body of the tree
and the other on the ground, thus making a shed under which the
family found shelter for nine days, during most of which time a rain
storm kept them closely “housed.”
also came into the township in 1800, and was land agent for
Holmes & Root. He located in the central part, on the farm
now in the possession of his grandson, U. H. Brockway.
His first cabin was built on the opposite bank of the run, a little
north of the present residence. It is said he was an unmarried
man at this time and with a hired man kept "bachelor's hall."
Also, that Urial Holmes found it convenient at times
to share his cabin, and partake of
the plentiful game with which the immense forest abounded. One
day they were so fortunate as to kill a bear. Thinking to have
a little joke they put it into the hired man's bed, and with much
gravity awaited the time for him to retire. We are left to
imagine his surprise, and perhaps fright, and the uproarious
laughter of the jokers.
BUSHNELL located on lot thirty, near the
present residence of John Craton.
located in Burg Hill.
CAPTAIN THOMAS THOMPSON
came from Farmington, Connecticut, in 1803. He purchased some
five hundred acres, including two of the center lots of the
township, and a portion of a third one, and located about one-fourth
[Page 253] -
mile south of the center, where H. Bennett now resides.
William C. Jones probably came in 1802, and located on the
farm now occupied by A. D. Fell.
previously mentioned, located at an early period on the farm where
Jacob Kepner now resides, one-half mile south of the center.
first settled in Vernon in 1798, but in 1801 or 1802 changed his
location to Hartford.
McFARLAND and family settled on lot three on
the State line, near the residence of his grandson,
Thomas W. McFarland.
The following named persons also came into the township during 1804
and 1805. All but two or three of them were married men and
brought their families: Richard Hayes, Thomas Bushnell,
Asahel Borden, Andrews Bushnell, Asa Andrews, Jehial Hulburt, Samuel
Tuttle, Captain Alexander Bushnell, Shaler Fitch, Asahel Borden,
Jr., Elam Jones, Chester Andrews, Jehial Hulburt, Jr., William
Rathburn. These were nearly all residents of Hartland,
Connecticut. In 1804 a colony of some ten families left Hartland at
the same time. The occasion of their departure from
Connecticut was considered of so much importance that a meeting was
held, a farewell sermon preached, and then the general leavetaking
took place, as their old friends and neighbors bade adieu to their
late homes and started on their journey of six hundred miles for the
State of their choice. Some of them were men far past the
prime of life, Revolutionary fathers; one had borne a part at Bunker
Hill, that sad, yet glorious day, when Warren fell; another,
barefooted at Valley Forge, had camped with Washington, yet rather
than part with children and grandchildren, they concluded to forego
the comforts of civilization, and endure the fatigues of a six
weeks' trip to New Connecticut, as it was then called, to build up
homes in a wilderness, not only for themselves, but for coming
DUTCH RIDGE SETTLEMENT.
INDIAN HUNTING CAMP.
A DEN OF SNAKES.
[Page 254] -
OTHER EARLY SETTLERS.
The following named persons came into the township during its
early settlement, most of them probably from 1804 to 1811: Titus
Hayes, Russel Borden, Linus Hayes, Lester Hayes, Philo Borden,
Nehemiah Andrews, Davis Fuller, Horace Flower, Sylvester Borden,
Martin Gangyard, Ebenezer Chapman, Elijah Woodford, Thomas
Dugan, David Lane, Lebbeus Beach, Levi Giddings, and
[Page 255] -
EPIDEMIC OF 1813.
The epidemic which prevailed so extensively through the whole
Western country during the year 1813, visited this township, and
carried off fifteen persons, mostly elderly people, all the
deaths of the year except two or three, resulting from it.
Among the deaths are Asa Andrews, Jehiel Hulburt, Titus
Hayes, Russel Borden, and Mrs. Lucy Fitch, widow of
John Fitch, the inventor of steamboats, whose descendants
by one branch are still residing here.
[Page 256] -
[Page 257] -
taken to Philadelphia, stuffed, and placed in a museum.
[Page 258] -
About 1832 the
anti-slavery agitation commenced in this community. A society
was soon formed, and for a long time Hartford was a prominent
place for all lectures of that class. As a result of this
agitation a branch of the memorable underground railway was run
through the township, with many farm-house stations on its
route, from which no fleeing bondsman were ever turned away.
[Page 259] -
[Page 260] -
[Page 261] -
Among the pioneers were
a few men who had served in the Continental army at various
periods during the Revolutionary war, all buried at the center,
except William C. Jones, who is buried at Burg Hill.
He took part at the battle of Bunker Hill, and also served under
Gates at Saratoga. Captain Alexander
Bushnell, who received his commission while serving under
Washington; Titus Hayes, who endured the hardships
of the winter at Valley Forge; Edward Brockway, who took
part in the capture of Burgoyne at Saratoga; Thomas and
Daniel Bushnell, who served in their father's
company for a time near the close of the war.
At the first military election, held May 7, 1804,
William Bushnell was elected captain, Daniel
Hummason first lieutenant, and Ebenezer M. Combs
ensign. This company at that time formed a part of the
Second regiment, Second brigade, Fourth division, Ohio militia,
under Major-general Wadsworth. At a little later
period it became the Third regiment, Third brigade of the same
division, and was so designated during the War of 1812.
The following imperfect list of soldiers in the war is
given. It includes a few who settled here since that
period, and also two or three who resided here many years, and
were long identified with the township but have since removed:
Alexander Bushnell (3d),
Selden C. Jones,
A. W. Moses,
Lieutenant Andrew Bushnell,
Captain Asa Hutchins,
George W. Cassiday,
O. S. Goodrich,
Azariah W. Moses was the last surviving member of Colonel
Hayes' regiment in the township.
In 1823, by permission of Andrew Bushnell,
brigadier-general First brigade Fourth division, Ohio militia, a
company of light infantry was organized here, and for some
years, under the command of Captain Philo
[Page 262] -
Robinson Truesdale, Captain Azel Tracy, and
perhaps other officers, it was maintained with a
good degree of military pride. The company
was ordered out for guard duty at the execution
of Gardiner by Sheriff Mygatt.
In 1835, during the border troubles, the State
militia were called upon by Governor Lucas,
through the proper officials, for volunteers to
“march at a moment's warning to the northern
frontier of Ohio, to protect our fellow-citizens
residing within its constitutional limits, from the
lawless aggression and outrage of the authorities
They probably all volunteered, as was customary in such cases. The matter was soon settled, and their brief vision of military service
passed away. The company was made of good
material, and at a later date would doubtless
have made a good military record. After this
the company and regimental musters were all
that served to keep alive the military spirit, and
even these in a few years were abandoned.
The following is a list of those who died in
the war of 1861–65:
Lieutenant Calvin C. Hart was
killed at Murfreesboro Dec. 31, 1862.
Christopher A. Bennett was also
wounded at Murfreesboro and died Jan. 10th.
Charles Bennett was wounded at Brown's Ferry
Oct. 7, 1863, and died Dec. 8, 1863.
Asbury Hewitt was wounded at Resaca and died at
Atlanta, and was buried by the rebels.
Albert McFarland was killed at
George Norton died in hospital at Louisville,
Milo Bushnell died in
hospital at Gallipolis,
Ohio, Apr. 17, 1863.
Daniel W. Brockway died
in Cleveland Apr. 12, 1864.
Virgil Holcomb died June 24, 1863, at Reedsville, Tennessee.
Owen Spencer died at Manchester, Tennessee,
Aug. 16, 1863.
Stewart Grosscost died in
William Shirey was killed
at Murfreesboro Dec. 31, 1862.
Law died in hospital Sept. 29, 1864.
Messenger, a member of the Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania regiment, was killed in July, 1863.
Elliot S. Gilky, a member of the Fifty-seventh
Pennsylvania regiment, was killed May 7, 1864,
in the battle of the Wilderness.
George Dutcher, a member of the Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania
regiment, was wounded at Bermuda Hundred by
a grape shot, and died in hospital at City Point,
H. H. Brown was known to have died of starvation in
Andersonville prison Sept.
Frank Curtis, J. Pelton, S. Mountain, Luftus Murray, Harrison Allen,
Melker Mellinger, John Decker, and William
Paden also either died in battle or hospital during the
Lieutenant Davis Fuller has since died from
disease contracted while in the army.
[Page 264] -
[Page 265] -
[Page 266] -
[Page 267] -
HARTFORD METHODIST CHURCH.
BROCKWAY MILLS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
The first meetings of Jerusalem lodge No. 19, Free and Accepted
Masons, of Hartford, Ohio, were held under a dispensation of the
[Page 268] -
HILL GRANGE NO. 1107.
[Page 269] -
There are three cemeteries in the township, the one at the
center being the oldest. The site was selected in 1805,
after the death of Fidelia Andrews, the land being given
by Titus Brockway. She was buried in the forest,
and her grave was surrounded by an enclosure of logs.
Among the marble headstones of later years are
scattered here and there the old brown flag and sand-stones,
which mark the early graves. On many of these the
inscriptions are rudely chiseled, and some are almost
obliterated by the hand of time. Beside them grow the
roses planted by hands long since folded to rest in other
Here lies the first pioneer, Edward Brockway,
and a large number of his descendants are also buried here.
The soldier of the Revolution and the soldier of the Rebellion
are found here, and near them lies Asahel Brainard, the
first settler, who spent the winter alone in this unbroken
forest, the only representative of this pioneer family buried in
the township. The Hon. Calvin Cone, the Hon.
Titus Brockway, Colonel William Bushnell, and the Hon.
James Beebe are among the prominent persons interred in this
old cemetery, including Captain Alexander Bushnell, Thomas
Bushnell, Titus Hayes, Edward Brockway, and Daniel
Bushnell, who were soldiers of the war of the Revolution.
Here also are buried Thomas McFarland, Davis Fuller,
Alexander Bushnell, Elijah Woodford, Selden Jones, Seth
Thompson, Hosea Mowrey, John Pfouts, Wilson Bushnell, Michael
Quiggle, Matthias Gates, S. C. Jones, Elijah Sawyer, Ambrose
Hart, Jehial Hulburt, Lester Bushnell, General Andrews Bushnell,
Archibald McFarland, and Elisha Bennett, soldiers of
the War of 1812. Also D. W. Brockway, Milo Bushnell,
Lieutenant C. C. Hart, Christopher A. Bennett, Charles Bennett,
and Lieutenant Davis Fuller, Soldiers of the
The burying ground at Burg Hill has been the burial
place of the pioneer families of Hayes, Jones, Merry, and
Hull. The first grave was that of Eliza Hayes,
daughter of Colonel Richard Hayes, who died Aug. 14,
1814. This site was afterwards presented to the township
by the Hayes family. Isaac Jones, one of the
first pioneers, William C. Jones, a pioneer and a veteran
of 1776, Colonel Richard Hayes, Lester Hayes, Luman Brockway,
and James Henry, soldiers of the War of 1812, and
Robert Mizener, a Vernon soldier of the late war, are buried
The west burying ground was given to the township by
Deacon Elihu Bates, and the first grave was that of Mrs.
Samuel Bates, in 1837. Romanta Norton, Joel Hall,
and William Bates, soldiers of 1812 and George Norton,
a soldier of the late war, are buried here. This has been
the burial place of the Bates, Leaming, Norton, Parsons,
Newman, Spencer, Mason, and Hall families, mostly
settlers of a later date. John Grocost, a soldier
of 1812, was buried on lot one, on the farm formerly owned by
At Orangeville no permanent place of burial was
selected until 1841, when Augustus Reed made a donation
of land for that purpose. Previous to this time most of
the interments were at the centre of the township, a few,
however, being made near the residence of Mr. Patton.
According to tradition early in the century a man was buried
where the shop of Mr. Davis now stands, and also two
children by the name of Totman on the south bank of the
Pymatuning east of the State line. The first interment in
the present cemetery was Ann Catherine, a daughter of
Rensselaer Root, who died June 10, 1841. John
Cassidy, Jacob Dewitt, O. S. Goodrich, William Carnes, and
A. W. Moses, soldiers of the War of 1812, are buried
here. Of the late war Harrison Allen, Caleb Leonard,
Milton Mellinger, George Wait, and a non-resident soldier by
the name of Fitzpatrick, who was killed on the railroad,
are also buried here.
[Page 270] -
[Page 271] -
ORANGEVILLE METHODIST CHURCH.
UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH.
MRS. CHLOE (WAIT) BUSHELL, wife of Captain Alexander
Bushnell, was born June 20, 1738, at Lyme, Connecticut, and
died here Oct. 28, 1832, the oldest person deceased in the
township during the first seventy years of its history.
Nearly thirty years before she came here with three generations
of descendants, and but for an
[Page 272] -
accident might have lived
her hundred years. At the time of her death her
descendants numbered three hundred and twenty-two, four being of
the fifth generation.
SARAH (HYDE) JONES, wife of Elam Jones
was born May 18, 1776, at West Hartland, Connecticut, and died
Aug. 30, 1870. She retained her memory in an unusual
degree, and to her more than to any one else is the writer
indebted for his data of our pioneer history. She had been
a resident of the township sixty-five years at the time of her
decease. She had, during her life, a personal acquaintance
with all of our early citizens, and her narrations of incidents
in pioneer times were full of interest. She was a daughter
of Uriah Hyde, whose family has been noted for its
ELIZABETH (HYDE) HEWITT, wife of Samuel
Hewitt, and daughter of Uriah Hyde, was born in West
Hartland, Connecticut, Jan. 4, 1772. she resided here for
many years but removed with her son, S. N. Hewitt, to
Vernon. At ninety-eight years of age she removed to Kansas
and a few months later to Fayetteville, Arkansas, where she died
July 22, 1873, being over one hundred and one years of age.
ANNA (HYDE) HULL, wife of William Hull,
and daughter of Uriah Hyde, was born Nov. 16, 1778, at
West Hartland, Connecticut, and died July 11, 1874, being in the
ninety-sixth year of her age, and at the time of her death the
oldest person ever deceased in the township.
LOVISA (BORDEN) FITCH, wife of Shaler
Fitch, was born Dec. 10, 1779, and died June 6, 1871.
They emigrated to Ohio in 1804.
MARY KEPNER PFOUTS, wife of John Pfouts,
was born Sept. 5, 1771, and died Jan. 9, 1864.
W. CASSIDY was born in Chester county,
Pennsylvania, Sept. 15, 1780, and died Apr. 2, 1870. He
was a soldier in the War of 1812 and lost his right arm at the
battle of Chippewa.
ELIZABETH (ALLERTON) CASSIDY was born Apr.
5, 1785, and died June 24, 1875.
PHEBE (BUSHNELL) BORDEN, wife of Ashel
Borden, was born Aug. 2, 1784, and died Dec. 4, 1875.
She was the last of the adult pioneers to pass away.
CATHERINE (LAVLEY) ROBERTS was born near
Baltimore, Maryland, Aug. 20, 1776, and died here Jan. 10, 1881,
at the residence of her son-in-law, Mr. Jacob Barnhart.
She had attained the great age of one hundred and four years,
four months, and twenty days. In 1794 she was married to
Peter Roberts, and four years, four months, and twenty
days. In 1794 she was married to Peter Roberts, and
for the almost unparalleled period of seventy-eight years they
journeyed through life together, he having reached the advanced
age of ninety-six years at the time of his death. She
always possessed a strong constitution and in her earlier years
was accustomed to doing much out-door work and boasted of having
been able to reap more wheat than any man, not excepting her
husband. She kept house and did all her own work until her
husband's death, although she was then ninety-eight years of
age. Se was the wife of a soldier of the War of 1812, and
grand-daughter of a soldier of the Revolution. She was
undoubtedly the oldest person in the county, and probably on the
Western Reserve, if not in the State.
NATHANIEL WILSON, for many years a resident
here, died in his ninety-second year.
Among the old people still living in the township who
have arrived at fourscore years and over, are Mrs. Alexander
Bushnell, at the age of 87; Mrs. Seth Thompson, 85;
Lory Norton, 84; John Jones, 82; George W.
Bushnell, 82; Mrs. Isaac Leaming, 84; Edward
Bowmiller, 83; Dorothy Bowmiller, 83; Mrs. Elisha
Cannon, 82; Margaret Bear, 82; Michael Pfouts,
80; Bradford Hewitt, 82; Rebecca Craton, 81;
Mrs. Louisa Laird, 80; Mrs. Julia Bates, 80; John
Adam Sonk, 87. He was born in Bavaria May 10,
1794. In 1814 he was drafted into the German army, and
served in the second company of fusileers, Ninth regiment,
commanded by Ferdinand of Wurtemburg. He served six
years, nine months in active service, and the rest of the time
According to the census of 1880 fifty-three persons in
the township had passed their three-score and ten years.
[Page 273] -
[Page 274] -
DR. R. M.
THE BORDEN FAMILY
THE JONES FAMILY
GEORGE SNYDER, SR.
PETER CARLTON was born in
Liberty township, Oct. 28, 1821. He is a grandson of
Francis Carlton, a Revolutionary soldier, who emigrated from
New Jersey in 1799, and was one of the first settlers of Warren,
Ohio, and son of Peter Carlton, a solder of the War of
1812, who was one of the boys present at Salt Springs when
Captain George was killed by McMahon, July 20, 1800.
Peter Carlton, Jr., married Miss Catherine Cauffield,
of Brookfield, in 1850, and removed to Hartford in 1857, and
settled in the south part of the township, on lot twenty-nine,
on the farm where he has since resided. Their children are
Mary B., Lizzie A., Jennie D., John B. and Bertha.
Mr. Carlton is a much respected citizen and a peaceable,
industrious farmer. He was elected justice of the peace in
1866, and has been successively re-elected four times, holding
the office fifteen years. Although he is an active worker
in the Republican party he has had the support of all parties.
He has considerable reputation as a juror, often having served
as grand, common pleas, the United States juror. He was
one of the corporators of the Harvard Academic institute.
He was the only man in the township who attended the
inauguration of President Garfield in 1881. He now
holds the office of notary public.
WILLIAM HULL emigrated from
Hartland, Connecticut, to Ohio in 1805, and first settled in
Vernon, where the family resided till 1821, when they removed to
Hartford, and in 1831 located at Burg Hill, on the farm now
owned by his son Osman. He married Annie
Hyde in Hartland, Connecticut, Sept. 18, 1802. Their
children were Harriet, wife of Elisha Beman,
of Gustavus; Horace; Clarissa, wife of
Alexander Morris; William, John, and
Emeline, wife of
[Page 287] -
Simeon C. Baker. Mr. and Mrs. Hull were
members of the Congregational church, and during their life most
worthy citizens. They lived to a good old age, he dying
Nov. 30, 1857, at the age of seventy-eight years, and she living
till July 11, 1874, reaching the advanced age of ninety-five
years and eight months. Osman Hull retains the old
home, and is now an enterprising and prosperous farmer, in early
life, however, having been a mechanic. He married Miss
Lorinda Roper, of Braceville, Apr. 22, 1841.
They are both earnest Christian workers in the temperance cause.
Their sons are Ransom and Brunell. Mr.
Hull is in politics a Republican.
AUSTIN was born in Goshen, Connecticut, Feb. 20, 1812.
In the year 1815 his father, Russel Austin,
removed to Geneseo, New York, where Norman's early life was
spent. In 1836 Norman E. Austin came to this county
and purchased of John Kinsman the farm near Orangeville,
which still bears his name. He married Mary C. Hamilton
Dec. 24, 1839, and in 1846 came to Hartford to make a
permanent home. He brought with him a superior flock of
fine-wool sheep, and in 1848 brought the Morgan horse
Bulrush. During his life he was a prominent and successful
farmer. He served as county commissioner, and at the time
of his death was deacon of the Hartford Congregational church.
His only child, Lizzie M., married Willard C. Hull,
who now occupies the Austin farm. She died June 14, 1862;
Norman E. Austin died Apr. 10, 1870. His wife,
Mary (Hamilton) Austin, continued to reside on
the farm with her son-in-law till her death in the spring of
ARIAL CHAPMAN was born in
Hartford, Connecticut, in 1800, and was of English descent.
His early home was at Cooperstown, New York, but at fourteen
years of age he went to Busti, Chautauqua county, in the same
State. Here he learned the trade of a tanner, and also
married Miss Mary Derendorf, who was born in Columbia,
Herkimer county, New York, and was of German descent. They
came to Ohio in 1826, settling at Burg Hill in Hartford.
Here Mr. Chapman carried on the tanning business
for many years. In later life, however, he was engaged in
agriculture, and resided at the same place till his death; and
here Mrs. Chapman continued to reside till 1881,
when she died at the age of seventy-nine. They were highly
esteemed in the vicinity, and will long be remembered.
Their children were Dwight R., Margaret, Charlotte,
and one adopted son, Albert Reed. Dwight R.
was born June 13, 1827, and married Maria, only daughter
of William Bond, Dec. 19, 1849. They have
one son, Frederick H. Chapman, and five daughters—Louisa,
wife of James Morrow; Kate, Lizzie,
Lucy, and Blanche. D. R. Chapman
occupies the farm where the first clearing was made in the
township of Hartford, in 1799.
CHARLES HULL was a native of
the State of New York, and with his younger brother, Richard
Hull, came to Orangeville in 1834 and engaged in business as
clothiers, which they followed for some length of time.
Charles Hull was born Sept. 17, 1805, and married
Miss Jane Ann Chapin Jan. 20, 1835. She was born Sept.
10, 1814. They were active members of the Baptist church
in Orangeville during their lives, and much respected citizens
of the township of Hartford. Their children were
Willard C., George, and Emogene. In the later
years of Mr. Hull's life he was engaged in
agricultural pursuits, and died on his farm in Hartford, a
little south of the village of Orangeville, Apr. 30, 1863.
Mrs. Hull died in Orangeville, June 11, 1872.
BOND was a resident of Hartford over forty years, a
worthy farmer, who left behind him a reputation for probity,
uprightness, and honor. He was born in Sandersfield,
Massachusetts, Sept. 22, 1793. His father's family removed
to Avon, New York, where he married Miss Lucy Cook, Nov. 27,
1823. She was born in New Hartford, Connecticut, Jan. 28,
1800. They had but one daughter, Maria, wife of D. R. Chapman.
They removed to Hartford, Ohio, in 1833, settling on the farm
east of Burg Hill, where they resided the remainder of their
lives. She died Jan. 18, 1873, and Mr. Bond died Jan. 2,
Among the citizens of the township of Hartord are a number of
the descendants of
JOHN FITCH, the
inventor. His wife died here in 1813. To him belongs
the honor of having constructed the first steamboat.
Twenty years before the great experiment of Fulton and
Livingston, or the Hudson, a steamboat was constructed and
[Page 288] -
put in operation in Philadelphia, under his sole direction, and
was found to go at the rate of eight miles an hour.
He was considered, in his day, as quite visionary, and being a
poor man found it difficult to command the means to make his
experiments. Had his means been equal to the
accomplishment of his designs, there can be no doubt that he
would now hold undisputed the honor of having given to the
country this most noble and useful invention. He at last
became discouraged and disheartened, and ended his days by
suicide in 1798, and lies buried at Bardstown, Kentucky.
This unhappy man, weary of the world and disappointed in all his
expectations, still most honestly believed in the correctness of
the darling dream of his life, and expressed a wish to be buried
on the banks of the Ohio, where the sound of the steam engine
would, in future years, send its echoes abroad. For
years there was nothing to mark his grave. Some pains has
been taken to identify it, and a rough, unhewn, unlettered stone
placed upon it as a memorial. For genius and misfortune,
neglected in life and unhonored in death, it is perhaps a more
fitting monument than any storied urn which might be placed over
his last resting-place. Let honor be given to whom honor
is due. Justice to his memory demands that his name be
recorded as the successful inventor of steamboats, he having
demonstrated their practicability by his experiments beyond the
power of denial.
JAMES D. BURNETT is a
grandson of William Burnett, one of the pioneers of
Hubbard township, and son of Benjamin Burnett, who
settled in Hartford, in 1844, on the farm one mile south of
Orangeville, where he died. Benjamin Burnett was
the father of eleven children, seven of whom lived to maturity,
and are all, except one son, residents of Trumbull county.
James D. Burnett was a soldier of the war of 1861, and
was the first man in the township to enlist for the three years
service, his name being enrolled May 27, 1861, in company F,
Twenty-fourth regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, and honorably
discharged June 18, 1864. He served in the Army of the
Cumberland, was at Shiloh, Stone River, Lookout Mountain,
Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and many small engagements, being
under fire thirty-four days while in the service. After
the war (June 21, 1866,) he married Eliza Jones, daughter
of William C. Jones.
M. HAYES is a prosperous, enterprising young farmer,
residing on lot forty near the east line of the township in
Hartford; here he located about 1875, and married Miss Emma
Barnhart. He is a son of Almon Hayes and
grandson of Elias Hayes, late of Harrison county, Ohio,
and on his mother's side a descendant of Wilcox Akins,
one of the pioneers of Vernon, who came from Norwalk,
Connecticut, about 1810.
END OF CHAPTER III -
< RETURN TO TABLE
OF CONTENTS >