GEORGE PARSONS, SR.,
was born in Enfield, Connecticut, Apr. 10, 1781. He came to
Ohio in 1803, and Dec. 10, 1807, was united in marriage to
Francis M. Austen. He was a clerk of the county court some
thirty years, and was also president of the Western Reserve bank.
He died Aug. 29, 1865, and his wife June 19, 1850. They raised
two children - George, Jr., and Mrs. Heman R. Harman,
who died in 1878. George Parsons, Jr., was born in
Warren, Sept. 3, 1810. He studied law at New Lisbon, Ohio, and
was admitted to the bar at Cincinnati, May 30, 1834, Salmon P.
Chase being one of the examiners. On account of ill health
he could not practice. June 28, 1838, he married Adaline
Baldwin, by whom he had five children. The oldest,
George, was a member of the Nineteenth Ohio volunteer infantry,
and died in camp in Kentucky, Mar. 10, 1862, in his twenty-second
year; Adaline, born Dec. 16, 1842, Charles H., Dec.
13, 1846, both at home; William B., May 31, 1849, residing in
Bazetta; Jacob H., June 14, 1852, a resident of
Dakota. Mr. Parsons' first wife died Jan. 26, 1861, and
Apr. 26, 1865, he married Harriet M., daughter of Roswell
Lee, born in Farmington township, Feb. 27, 1822. He
resided on a farm of Champion township until 1866, when he moved to
Warren township, on the Hapgood place. Mr. Parsons has
been a member of the Episcopal church for forty years.
was born in Danbury, Connecticut, in 1798, and was
nine years old when his family came to Canfield.
All aspiring boys in those days were apprenticed to
learn trades, saddlery being one of the most
popular. There were no light vehicles, so that
errands and pleasure-going called the saddled horse
into use. Wheeler Lewis had the
principal shop in Warren, and it was to him that
Mr. Stiles was apprenticed in 1812.
The usual apprenticeship at that time was seven
years, but boys began so early that that they had
acquired their trade and their liberty at
twenty-one. It will be seen that Mr.
Stiles was “bound out,” as it was called, at the
age of fourteen. When he had completed his
trade he purchased the business from Mr.
Lewis. In 1834 he sold the shop to Mr.
Brewster and removed to Medina to engage in
milling with his brother Jairus. A year
later he removed to Norwalk, where he was one of the
first to plant shade trees, for which that city is
now celebrated. In 1837 Mr. Stiles
returned to Warren and engaged in mercantile
business in partnership with George Mygatt.
In 1848 he purchased Mr. Mygatt’s
interest and continued in business in partnership
with his sons until his death, which occurred Aug.
13, 1869. Mr. Stiles married, in 1821, Mary
Reeves. She died at Warren in December,
1859. Their family consisted of six children,
five of whom are living: Henry L., Timothy M.,
William R., Mary E., Sarah C. (Jones), and
George M. William, Mary, and Mrs. Jones reside
in Warren. George M. died in 1873.
William R. continues the dry goods business
at the old Mygatt & Stiles corner.
ZALMON FITCH, first cashier and
second president of the old Western Reserve bank, was born in 1785.
He came to the Reserve from Washington county, Pennsylvania, in
1801, his parents having settled that year at Canfield. A few
years later he engaged in mercantile pursuits in which he continued
until the organization of the Western Reserve bank at Warren.
Mr. Fitch servedas cashier until General
Perkins resigned the presidency in April, 1836, when he
succeeded to the vacancy. About 1840 Mr. Fitch
removed to Cleveland. He became a director in the Bank of
Cleveland and also one of the directors of the Cleveland & Pittsburg
railroad. He died at Cleveland Apr. 28, 1860. He was a
man of strong character and good executive ability. He was one
of the most successful of that successful generation of early
business men whose names were associated with the reliable old
Western Reserve bank.
W. N. PORTER.
One of the
oldest merchants and the oldest book dealer in Warren is W. N.
Porter. He was born in New Hartford, New York, in 1804.
Having learned cabinet-making, he worked in his native place until
1832, when he removed to Warren. He continued at his trade at this
place until 1836. D. M. Ide some time before had
started a bindery, and that year associated Mr. Mr.
Porter in partnership. A general book trade was added
to the bindery business. This was the first bookstore in
Warren, though, of course, other stores had kept books in their
general stock. Blank books were at that time
ASAHEL ADAMS came to
Trumbull county in 1807, and to Warren about 1814. He built
the old Franklin House, on the corner of Market street
and Park avenue, where he lived and kept store. Later he built
and occupied the Adams homestead on Mahoning avenue, and died
in October, 1852, aged sixty-five years. His wife, whose
maiden name was Lucy Mygatt, still survives him.
Two sons reside in Warren, Whittlesey Adams, insurance
agent, and George Adams, book dealer.
made by the home manufacturer, and the trade in miscellaneous books
was much larger than at present. Blank book manufacture has,
of late years, been concentrated into large establishments, but why
the trade in general volumes has fallen off is at first a puzzling
question. The number of readers has increased, and as the
country grows older, people have more time to spare from business to
devote to reading. A partial explanation is found in the
growth of periodical literature; easy access to large city
establishments may also have some influence upon the rural trade. Mr.
Ide remained in partnership with Mr. Porter
about fifteen years. He then removed to New Hampshire where he
died in 1880. Mr. Porter, excepting an interval
of two years, has been in the book trade since 1836. He was
married in New York, to Mary Ann Higby. Their family
consisted of one son and one daughter. The son had a special
fondness and aptitude in art. He opened a studio in Denver,
Colorado, in 1875, but his health failed, and he died in May, 1876.
The daughter, Mrs. D. W. Jameson, resides in Warren.
Mrs. Porter died in November, 1878. Calvin
Austin was probably in Warren in 1800. He was a
prominent man, and one of the first justices of the peace. He
was also associate judge. His sons, Seymour and
Calvin, were prominent merchants.
ADAMSON BENTLY was born in Allegheny county,
Pennsylvania, July 4, 1785, and at an early age came to
Brookfield, Trumbull county. He began life at nineteen
years of age as a Baptist preacher, and was settled in Warren in
1810. In addition to his work in the ministry, he was a
merchant, a cattle drover, and managed a tavern. He was a
director in the Western Reserve bank, and built a number of
houses. About 1820 Mr. Bently became interested in
the doctrines advanced by Alexander Campbell, and
eventually became one of his followers. He died in Nov.
was born in Plymouth county, Massachusetts, Apr.
12, 1791, and came to Warren in 1811. He busied himself,
at first, in teaching school, but soon was employed as an
express messenger between Warren and Pittsburg, and carried to
the last named city the earliest news of Perry's victory. In
1813 he married Miss Serina Strowbridge, of New England.
After his return to Warren he built the National hotel, and also
engaged in mercantile business in a frame building standing
south of the hotel, and afterwards well-known as “Stiles'
Store.” He attempted to start a distillery on Red run,
where it is crossed by Woodland street, but the enterprise soon
failed. Later, he purchased and occupied a farm in
Lordstown, on the Canfield road. Having lost his first
wife, he was married again to Miss Sarah C. Case, a
sister of the late Leonard Case, of Cleveland. He
was for many years prominent as a worker in the Interests of the
Disciple church. He also held the offices of sheriff and
Representative. His death occurred in Warren, Apr. 4,
DcAVID BELL occupied a farm and house
where the Jacob Perkins place is, on the Bazetta road,
near Red run. He came to Warren, probably, previous to 1808, and was
CAPTAIN OLIVER BROOKS
came from New Jersey and occupied the old Brooks homestead,
on South street.
SAMUEL CHESNEY was
born in Mifflin, Juniata county, Pennsylvania, Apr. 18, 1778.
He came to the Reserve in 1803, having previously taught school near
Pittsburg. He for many years held the office of deputy
postmaster, and was elected justice of the peace a number of years
in succession, until he declined to serve. His death occurred
May 5, 1866. One son and one daughter survive.
Benjamin Chesney, of Painesville and Mrs. L. J. Iddings,
WILLIAM W. COTGREAVE
was in Warren as early as 1807. He was one of
the active men of the place, and a major in the war of 1812; but he
seems to be best known through the number of buildings that he
erected, conspicuous among which was a large house, standing upon
what is now known as the VanGorder property, and sometimes
called "Castle William." He married
a daughter of John Reed, and finally, removing to Mansfield
Ohio, died there.
HENRY HARSH came to
Warren in 1801, and purchased the lot and built a house where
Adams' book store now stands. He also built a blacksmith
shop at the same place, being one of the first blacksmiths in
Trumbull county. He died June 5, 1828.
JACOB HARSH was born
in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, in 1783, and came to Trumbull
county, Ohio, in 1803, settling in Warren. He carried on
blacksmithing for many years. He was in the War of 1812,
serving three months, from Warren. He married Elizabeth,
daughter of James Wilson, and reared a family of five
children, of whom two sons are living. He moved on the place
now owned by his son H. J. Harsh in the spring of 1832, which
was then but little improved. He was a leading member of the
Disciple church. He died October, 1851. Mrs.
Harsh died August, 1853. Henry J. Harsh was born in
Warren, Ohio, Feb. 22, 1829; married, May 14, 1851, Jane M.,
daughter of Milton Rice, born in Parkman, Portage
county. Milton Rice was one of the early
settlers of Southington township, coming with his father, Joseph
Rice, about 1808. He had a family of five children,
four of whom are living. He died
in Newton Falls Apr. 10, 1863. Mrs. Maria Rice is still
living at Newton Falls with her son, Dr. N. J. Rice, aged
seventy-seven. Mr. Harsh still occupies the old
homestead. He has dealt extensively in buying and shipping
live stock, and has also paid considerable attention to stock
raising and to dairying. Mr. and Mrs. Harsh are the
parents of the following children: Milton M.; Jennie E., wife
of Dr. Milton Atkinson, of Cortland; J. C. Fremont;
Frederick R.; William J., and Kittie P.
JOHN HARSH was born in
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, October, 1794. When very
young he settled in Warren, learned the trade of blacksmith and
followed it during his life in Warren. He was always a
hardworking man and a skillful mechanic, and acquired a handsome
property. He was married in 1821 to Nancy Hall,
who is still living at the age of eighty-three. The issue of
this marriage was eight children, six of whom are living, the oldest
aged sixty-one. Mr. Harsh died Apr. 25, 1882,
having been an invalid for several years.
oldest child of John and Nancy Harsh, was born in Warren,
Ohio, Nov. 7, 1821. He worked at blacksmithing until
twenty-five years old. In 1849 he was constable for two years
and during his official service he acquired a knowledge of financial
transactions, and he has since followed the business of loaning
money and buying notes with much success. Nov. 7, 1866, he was
married to Mrs. John Kibbee, daughter of George Hubbard.
Mrs. Harsh was born in Connecticut in 1830.
JOHN ECKMAN was born
in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, Mar. 24, 1789. In 1802 he
came to the Reserve from Fayette county, Pennsylvania, with his
father, a gunsmith. Although they settled in Weathersfield
was always more or less in Warren. He helped to build the
furnace on the old Eaton place, and speaks of having seen the
first bar of iron manufactured there. Adam Victory, of
Pittsburg, was the hammerman. Mr. Eckman is
(1876), at the advanced age of eighty-seven years.
came early, and lived many years on what is known as the Fusselman
farm - one of the earliest settled farms in Trumbull county.
LEVI HADLEY, who came
to Warren in 1815, and followed the business of a wool carder and
hotel keeper, soon left and became a judge in the Sangamon country,
in Illinois. Later he committed suicide by jumping from a
steamboat into the Mississippi river.
JAMES QUIGLEY, one
of the first and most energetic merchants in Warren, was born in
Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, in 1770. He came to the
Reserve in 1809 or 1810, and in addition to his mercantile business
he dealt in live stock. He died in 1822.
JUSTUS SMITH came to
Warren from Glen Falls, Washington county, New York, in 1810, with a
view of making an exchange of property with Royal Pease,
who was then a citizen of Warren, and who owned the whole lot upon
which the First National bank stands. An exchange was
effected, and Mr. Smith returned east to settle up
some business, sending out his family the next year, who took
possession of the building vacated by Mr. Pease on the
bank lot, and Mr. Smith returned later in company with
Jacob H. Baldwin, and on foot. Mr. Smith
Pease property until 1815, in which year he died,
leaving a widow and five children. Mrs. Smith
then sold her lot to the bank, and purchased the lot on the corner
of High street and Mahoning avenue, now owned by Warren
Packard. There she lived until 1836, when she sold her property,
and passed the remainder of her life with her children.
EDWARD SPEAR was
born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, Oct. 12, 1792. He moved to
Warren in 1818. For seven years Mr. Spear was
associate judge of the common pleas, and held the office of justice
of the peace until the time of his death. He was for many
years prominent as an elder in the Presbyterian church of Warren,
and also as a Mason. His death occurred on the 31st of
JAMES SCOTT was born
in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Mar. 17, 1774, and moved to the Western
Reserve in 1801. Scott built the jail that stood on the
bank of the river, which was burned in 1804. He also had the
contract for building the old court-house, 1813–16. He died
Jan. 31, 1846.
ELIHU SPENCER, a
gentleman of culture, came to Warren in 1816, and lived in a house
which stood on Liberty street, on the present site of the building
erected by Isaac VanGorder from the bricks of the old
court-house. He died in 1819, leaving a wife and child, who
returned to the east, where the son, although dying young, attained
some eminence in the literary way.
MARK WESCOTT, one of the earliest
inhabitants of Warren, lived for many years in a house recently torn
down, but then standing on the southwest corner of Pine and Market
a prominent early merchant, came to Warren very
early, probably about the year 1803. He died young, about
1812, leaving a widow, the sister of the late Mr. Francis Freeman.
Mrs. Weatherbee died July, 1876, at the advanced age of
ninety years. Mr. Weatherbee was probably the third
person in Warren to engage in mercantile business, as has been
previously noted. In 1803 Mr. Weatherbee had a contract
to remove the trees felled upon the public square.
One of the oldest citizens of Warren is Samuel
Ellwell, now in his eighty-eighth year. He was born in
Salem county, New Jersey, Apr. 18, 1795. He married Feb. 29,
1816, Anna Reeves, and the same spring removed from
Bridgeton, New Jersey, to Warren, Ohio. He had worked in a
woolen factory in New Jersey, and after he came to Warren was
the woolen factory of Benjamin Stevens for several
years. He then purchased of Noah Brockway, near
Warren, a farm of eighty acres, on which he resided until his
removal to Warren in 1860. His wife, Anna, died in 1856
aged fifty-seven. She was the mother of his children, of whom
there were ten, seven boys and three girls, of whom six sons are
living, viz: Stephen, living in Kansas; General John J.
Ellwell, of Cleveland; Augustus, in Braceville; Alfred,
in Willoughby; Joseph S., and William H. H., in
Chicago. In 1860 Mr. Ellwell was married to
Mrs. Clarissa Hall, who died Jan. 15, 1871.
LEWIS IDDINGS, son
of Richard Iddings, was born in Warren in 1809.
He began mercantile business in Warren in 1832, and was engaged in
trade without interruption until his death in 1879. He was a
man of liberal, progressive spirit, and was esteemed by his fellows
both in business and in society. He was elected director in
the old Western Reserve bank in 1855, and held a great many
positions of trust. Mr. Iddings married, in 1840,
Jane Chesney, who still survives.
JAMES REED was
prominent among the businessmen of Warren. His death occurred
Oct. 12, 1880. The Western Reserve Chronicle of the next
day contained the following:
Our community was suddenly shocked yesterday
morning by the announcement on the streets of the death of our
esteemed townsman, James Reed, of the stove firm of
James Reed & Sons. He had been sick for some ten days, but
on Monday seemed much better, and the most sanguine hopes were
entertained of his recovery. When, therefore, as men were on
their way to the polls yesterday morning, they learned of his death,
all were filled with astonishment and the deepest sadness.
James Reed was born in Virginia in
October, 1812, being, at the time of his death sixty-eight years
old. He came to this county some forty years ago, and settled
in Newton Falls. Here he engaged in the foundry business in
company with Mr. Charles Boardman. He continued the
business here until January, 1859, when he moved to this city.
Here he purchased the foundry then owned by James Ward,
and prosecuted his business until 1861, when he united in business
with Jameson & Wheeler, under the firm name of Reed,
Jameson & Co. in 1864 he sold his interest to Jameson
& Wheeler, and returned to Newton Falls, where he engaged in
the dry goods trade until 1870. In that year he returned to
Warren, and bought out Jameson & Wheeler. Since that,
he and his two sons, Thaddeus and William, have
conducted the foundry and stove business under the firm name of
James Reed & Sons.
D. J. ADAMS, president
of the First National bank, Warren, is a son of Robert and Sally
(Jackson) Adams, and was born in Londonderry, New Hampshire,
Nov. 24, 1823. Mr. Adams' career has been
exclusively of a business and commercial character. He lived
in his native town until eleven years of age, and then went to
Genessee county, New York, where he resided until twenty years old
engaged in farming. He removed to Erie county, Pennsylvania,
in 1843, and was engaged in the stove business until 1853. He
married there, in 1850, Mary Smith, who is still living. In
1853 he came to Kingsville, Ashtabula county, and carried on farming
until 1863. For a few years subsequently he was engaged in the
oil business in Pennsylvania, while retaining his residence in Ohio.
In 1868 he commenced trading through the Southern States, dealing
extensively with sugar planters in Louisiana, which proved a
profitable business. In this he continued until 1876, when he
took up his residence in Warren, where his headquarters had been
since 1873. On the organization of the Second National bank of
Warren he was elected president, and is still filling that position.
Mr. Reed, it may be justly said,
was one of the most highly respected men in this community. It
is slight praise when we say that for punctuality, thoroughness,
strict honesty and integrity, he stood without reproach, and without
Among business men and all who knew him, his
name was a synonym of stability and honor. Upon the Disciple
church, of which he was a member and a leading officer, his death is
a terrible blow. In that body of Christians he stood as a
pillar, and the sorrow which pervades that family of worshipers is
second only to that which fills his own household; and here it is
crushing. His family may be assured that they have the deepest
sympathy of this whole people.
J. H. McCOMBS,
cashier of the First National bank, of Warren, Ohio,
was born in Weathersfield, Trumbull county, Ohio,
Feb. 13, 1814, elder son of James and Elizabeth
McCombs. James McCombs settled in
Weathersfield in an early day and resided there
until his death. He was drafted in the War of
1812, and went to Sandusky but was subsequently
discharged on account of sickness. He died in
1847 and his wife the same year. They were the
parents of two sons, the subject of this sketch and
Milo McCombs, who died in 1879, a resident of
Howland township. J. H. McCombs came to
Warren in 1832, and has resided here since with the
exception of two years which he spent in Youngstown.
He began here in business with H. W. Smith in
a general store, with whom he continued until 1868.
Subsequently he was in partnership with Mr.
Charles Smith, afterwards retiring from active
business until the fall of 1879, when, in connection
with George K. Ross, his son in-law, he began
the wholesale grocery business, in which he still
retains an interest. He was elected a director
of the First National bank upon its organization in
1863, and after wards was chosen vice-president.
In January, 1881, he was elected cashier, Mr.
McCombs was married in 1837 to Miss
Amarillis B., daughter of John Fitch, an
early settler of Mahoning county. The fruit of this
union was two daughters, Helen and
Charlotte. Helen, who died January,
1881, was the wife of George K. Ross.
One of the oldest business men in Warren is
Charles Smith, president of the Trumbull National bank.
He was born in New York Aug. 12, 1803, and was the son of Justus
and Charlotte Delamater Smith. His parents removed to Ohio
in 1808. He began business as clerk for Judge King,
and in 1822 opened a store in partnership with his brother, H. W.
Smith, with whom he continued till 1835. After the Ohio &
Pennsylvania canal was opened, Mr. Smith ran a packet
boat for some time. He was interested in the
canal company, and became its president. He was one of the
original projectors of the Cleveland & Mahoning railroad, and was a
member of the first board of directors. He continued
merchandising till 1861. He was the largest stockholder in the
Trumbull National bank, and ever since its establishment has served
as its president. By industry and economy Mr. Smith
has acquired considerable property, being among the wealthiest
men in Warren. Mr. Smith married in 1828,
Angeline, daughter of James Scott, one of the
pioneers of Warren. Their family consisted of five children:
William H., resident of Vicksburg, Mississippi; Edward
C., cashier of Tumbull National bank; Margaret S., wife
of Whittlesey Adams, Warren; Eliza and Mary,
Warren. Mr. Smith has been a member of the
Episcopal church for many years. In politics he has always
been a Democrat, and never voted any other ticket except for his
brother-in-law, David Tod, in 1861.
OLIVER H. PATCH,
son of John H. Patch and
Rebecca Mygatt Patch, was born in Canfield, Nov. 18, 1812.
His father, John H. Patch was a native of Danbury,
Connecticut, where he married Rebecca Mygatt, sister of
Comfort Mygatt. At the age of fourteen Oliver H.
Patch came to Warren to learn the saddlery trade as an
apprentice of Henry Stiles. He served an
apprenticeship of seven years. He then worked as a journeyman
saddler in Brooklyn, New York, for two years, and at the age of
twenty-three began business in partnership with George R.
Brewster, the firm being Brewster, Patch & Co.,
the stock being general saddlery, harness, and carriage supplies.
This was in 1835. Since that time Mr. Patch has
been in the business and the head of the store until 1882. He
was married in 1845 to Elizabeth Opdyke, of Williams county.
Her brother, Emerson Opdyke, was a partner of Mr.
Patch at the opening of the war. The firm at this time had
large interests in the trade of their line at the South and lost
heavily when the guns were fired on Sumter by the seizure of a large
stock at Memphis, Tennessee. Mr. Patch's family
consisted of five children, two of whom are living— Lucy A.,
and Henry O. Mr. Patch has been mayor of
Warren and served on the council several years, also the board of
education and other public positions. Mr. Patch
recoved the money he lost at the beginning of the war before
its conclusion. He has always been a progressive business man
and public-spirited citizen.
BOSTWICK H. FITCH
is a son of Cook and Sarah Fitch. His
father came from Danbury, Connecticut, and settled at Canfield in
1802. He married at Canfield Sarah Bostwick. The
family of Cook and Sarah Fitch consisted of four children –
Thalia Rebecca, married to Henry F. Kirtland,
of Poland; Mary, married to H. F. Kirtland after the
death of Thalia Rebecca; Bostwick H., and
Thomas T. The last named lives in Poland.
Bostwick H. was born Sept. 24, 1815, at Canfield. His
father was a hatter and kept a hotel in Canfield until his death by
cholera in 1834. Bostwick H. had gone into Kirtland's
store at Poland, and remained there until 1840 when he came to
Warren and engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1844, since which
time he has been in the wool trade. He was married in 1840 to
Frances L. Bidwell, of Poland, daughter of Chester Bidwell.
They have two children, Kirtland M., cashier of the Second
National bank of Warren, and Mary F.
REV. WILLIAM O. STRATTON
was born in Baltimore, Maryland, Nov. 19, 1798.
His early occupation was that of a morocco dresser. He left
home at the age of twelve and went as cabin boy for a short time.
He was afterwards engaged in merchandise in New York city in a small
way. Having united with the church he commenced to fit himself
for the ministry of the Presbyterian church, and attended the
academy at Bloomfield, New Jersey, for two or three years. He
was licensed to preach in 1825, and officiated as minister for a few
years in New Jersey and in western New York; came to Ohio as a
licentiate in 1828 and was located at Canfield, Mahoning county,
until 1844. He was afterwards stationed at North Benton for
twenty four years, where his labors were very successful. He
then retired from active work in the ministry and came to Warren in
1866, where he has since lived, occasionally occupying the pulpit of
the Presbyterian church in the absence of the pastor. Mr.
Stratton was united in marriage Oct. 9, 1832, to Anna M.,
daughter of Hon. Elisha Whittlesey. She was born in
Canfield, Ohio, Nov. 7, 1812. Mr. and Mrs. Stratton are
the parents of seven children, of whom six are living, as follows:
Rev. Howard W. Stratton, born Sept. 9, 1833, a resident of
Washington Territory; Lucy J., born Apr. 19, 1835, now widow
of Whittlesey Collins, and residing in St. Joseph, Michigan;
Colonel Henry G., born Mar. 1, 1837, a druggist of Warren;
Polly A., born Mar. 11, 1840, wife of Homer C. Reid, of
Warren; Alice V., born June 9, 1848, wife of George M. Hull,
residing in Virginia; Julia M., born July 10, 1855, wife of
George H. Briscoe, residing in Atlanta, Georgia. Harriet
A. died in infancy.
REV. A. R. KIEFFER,
rector of Christ's church, Warren, was born in Alexandria,
Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, Apr. 2, 1842; son of Rev. Dr. M.
Kieffer, for many years president of Heidelberg college, Tiffin,
Ohio. Mr. Kieffer graduated from Heidelberg in
1860. At the first call for troops in the spring of 1861, he
enlisted in the Eighth Ohio volunteer infantry, company A, and was
in the service eighteeen months, when he was discharged on
account of physical disa-
bility. Returning home, he entered the theological department
of Heidelberg, and completed a course of study, but declined
ordination to the ministry. He was subsequently for a time a
teacher in the Sandusky, Ohio, high school. In 1870, having
previously decided to enter the ministry of the Protestant Episcopal
church, he entered the senior theological class at Kenyon college,
Gambier, Ohio, and graduated the following year. He was
ordained a deacon of the Protestant Episcopal church by Bishop
Bedell and sent to Ironton, Ohio, where he remained some
three years, when he accepted a call to the rectorship of Christ
church, Warren, delivering his first sermon here on the first Sunday
after Easter, 1874. Mr. Kieffer was married Dec.
25, 1866, to Miss Lissie Hall, daughter of
Dr. Alexander Hall, a former prominent clergyman
of the Disciple church and an author of a number of scientific
works. Mrs. Kieffer was born in Belmont county,
Ohio, Mar. 3, 1848. Two children is the result of their
marriage: Alma Kate was born Dec. 19, 1868, and
Augustus Bedell was born Oct. 14, 1871.
REV. ALEXANDER JACKSON,
pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Warren,
was born in Glasgow, Scotland, Feb. 13, 1845. When in his
tenth year his father died, and his widowed mother's circumstances
were such as to make it necessary for the son to depend upon his own
labor for a livelihood. He accordingly left school and sought
employment in a book bindery, where he served a seven years'
apprenticeship. Possessing a studious disposition, he devoted
whatever spare time he enjoyed to his books, and attended the
evening classes at the normal school, thus fitting himself to enter
college. He attended the University of Glasgow for some time,
and then entered the employ of a business house in Edinburgh,
reserving a part of the time for study. This arrangement
enabled him to take a course of four years in the University of
Edinburgh, and one in the Divinity school. Mr.
Jackson excelled in philosophical studies, and in a class of two
hundred, was one of fifteen who won high honors. A Duke of
Hamilton scholarship was awarded him, and he returned to Glasgow
University, where he was graduated. He came to the United
States in 1873, and continued his theological studies in the
seminary at Auburn, New York. He then entered the ministry,
and was pastor of the Presbyterian church in Amenia about three and
a half years. He afterwards supplied pulpits in Newark, New
Jersey, and in Chicago, until he was called to the pastorate of the
church in Warren, Dec. 28, 1879. Mr. Jackson was
married Sept. 10, 1872, to Agnes, elder daughter of John
Armstrong, of Townhead, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and has three
I. N. DAWSON, for many
years mayor of Warren, was born in Northumberland county,
Pennsylvania, Sept. 25, 1824. He came to Ohio in 1850, and
entered the employ of G. O. Griswold at Warren. He
afterwards became a member of the firm of Dawson, Hoyt & Co.,
manufacturers of oil, which business was continued several years.
His administration as mayor of Warren covered a longer period than
that of any other man since the organization of the municipal
government, and was highly satisfactory. He also served years
as justice of the peace in Warren. He was a member of the
Masonic lodge and Baptist church. Mr. Dawson was
married Feb. 28, 1852, to Nancy L., daughter of John
and Sarah Reeves. She was born in Howland
township Aug. 16, 1825, and liberally educated at the common schools
and seminary. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Dawson
consisted of four children, three of whom are living: William K.,
born Dec. 21, 1852, resides in Columbus; Lewis Reeves, born
June 23, 1856; and Ella R., born June 13, 1858, wife of
William C. Christy, of Youngstown. Isaac N. Dawson
died Aug. 20, 1878. Mrs. Dawson resides in
G. O. GRISWOLD,
oldest son of Jesse and Fanny Griswold, was born in Meriden,
Connecticut, Dec. 1, 1810. When fourteen years old he
commenced to do for himself, and was in an ivory comb factory and
otherwise employed for six or seven years. In May, 1831, he
was married to Eliza Ann Bailey. He
engaged in the manufacture of sheet and wrought iron household
implements, and then for a number of years in the manufacture of
coffee-mills. For three years subsequently he had charge of a
foundry. He came to Ohio in 1838, locating in Aurora. In
1842 he removed to New Castle, Pennsylvania, and engaged for some
six years in the linseed oil business. Coming to Warren in
1849 he com-
menced the business in which he is still engaged. For the last
three years it has been conducted as a branch of the Cleveland Oil
works, and has done an extensive business, employing fourteen men.
The products of his manufacture find a market in Cleveland and the
East, the oil cake also being shipped to Cleveland. Mr.
Griswold has been twice married, lastly in 1837 to Miss Maria
M. Merriman, a native of Connecticut, and by this marriage has
had three children, all of whom died in infancy. He has been a
member of the council several terms. Mr. Griswold
has made his success in life by his own efforts, having no start
in life and beginning on $4 per month.
COLONEL HENRY G. STRATTON,
youngest son of Rev. William O. and Anna M.
Stratton, was born in Canfield, Mahoning county, Ohio, Mar. 1,
1839. He was brought up on a farm, attending the common
schools, completing his education at Poland academy. In the
fall of 1854 he entered the employ, as clerk, of E. A. Smith,
druggist of Warren, with whom he remained six years, when, in
January, 1860, he was admitted as partner. In May following he
was burned out and the firm dissolved, but afterwards in connection
with Lewis Hoyt, under firm name of Hoyt &
Stratton, resumed business, and has since been engaged in the
drug business in Warren, though with various partners, the firm now
being H. G. Stratton & Co. Apr. 27, 1861, he enlisted in
company C, afterward attached to the Nineteenth Ohio volunteer
infantry, and was elected first lieutenant under Captain N. A.
Barrett, was ordered to West Virginia and was at the battle of
Rich Mountain. After four months service he was mustered out
at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio. Soon after returning home he
recruited a company, raising sixty-three men in three days. He
was elected captain of the company, which was afterwards known as
company C, and attached to the Nineteenth Ohio volunteer infantry,
and sent on detached duty to Kentucky. Colonel
Stratton was afterwards in some of the fiercest engagements of
the war—at Pittsburg Landing, Corinth, and at Stone River, where
Colonel Stratton acted as major. The regiment
suffered severely in this battle, 236 out of 456 men and officers
being killed and wounded. Colonel Stratton was
himself severely wounded, being shot through the right hip. He
returned home on account of his injury, remaining about four months,
when he returned to the army on crutches and was placed on court
martial duty. He was promoted to major and subsequently to
lieutenant-colonel. When the army moved from Murfreesboro he
went with his regiment. At the battle of Chickamauga
Colonel Stratton was in command of the regiment. He
was in the engagement at Mission Ridge, and after the battle was
ordered to the relief of Burnside at Knoxville, where his regiment
re-enlisted as veteran volunteers, and after a brief furlough
rejoined the army of the Cumberland at Dalton, Tennessee, and
afterwards took part in the Atlanta campaign at Resaca, New Hope
Church, Kenesaw Mountain, Peach Tree Creek (a sharp and brilliant
engagement), and taking part in the siege of Atlanta. The
campaign closed at Lovejoy Station, where Colonel
Manderson was wounded, and the command of the regiment devolved
upon Colonel Stratton. Returning to Atlanta he
took part in the pursuit of Hood and subsequently returned with
Thomas to Pulaski and Columbia, Tennessee. He participated
in the battles of Franklin and Nashville, where the regiment
suffered heavily, pursuing the enemy to Huntsville, Alabama, where
they went into winter quarters. After a long and eminently
successful military career Colonel Stratton, on
account of physical disability, caused by his wound, resigned, and
was mustered out at Huntsville, Alabama, Feb 13, 1865. Oct.
14, 1868, he was married to Miss Susan R., daughter of
General T. J. McLean, of Warren, and has one daughter, Flora
May, born in 1873.
SAMUEL FISHER DICKEY,
son of Samuel Dickey, was born in Londonderry, New Hampshire,
on the 11th of June, 1820. He attended academy in New
Hampshire in 1843. He, with his father's family, came to
Warren and settled on a farm. He was married in 1846 to
Mary A. Parker, of Litchfield, New Hampshire. They have
three children—Edward L., Fannie M. (wife of M. O. Messer),
and Elizabeth L. Mr. Dickey has been city
engineer since 1867, and continues to reside on his farm at Warren.
He has been a member of the board of education for five years.
He has been an elder in the Presbyterian church for thirty years.
AARON WENTZ was born
in Pennsylvania Feb. 22, 1817. When seven years old his
parents removed to Binghamton, New York, where, after obtaining a
business education, he entered upon mercantile pursuits. In
1838 he engaged in business in New York city. Nine years later
he came to Warren, and in partnership with Mr. Parks, under
the firm name of Parks & Wentz, opened a store.
Mr. Parks retired in 1868, since which time Mr.
Wentz has continued the business alone. His line is
general dry goods and groceries. He married in 1847 Miss
Sarah A. Hunt, who died in 1870. He married for his second
wife, Julia, daughter of Hiram Baldwin, a former
esteemed citizen of Warren.
mayor of Warren, was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, May 29, 1834.
His parents, William and Mary (Williams) Ward, were pioneers
of Ashtabula county. He married in 1853, and has a family of
four children: C. S., physician and surgeon; Augustus,
William C., and Almon. Mr. Ward renmoved
from Ashtabula county to Warren in 1865, and engaged as book keeper
for G. O. Griswold. From 1867 till 1878 he was in the
insurance business. In August, 1878, Mr. Ward was
elected by the council to the mayoralty in place of I. N. Dawson,
deceased. At the following spring election he was re-chosen to
that office, and again re-elected in 1881. Mayor Ward
gives close attention to municipal affairs, and is well regarded as
a public official.
HENRY C. CHRISTY
is the son of Matthias and Jane Christy, and was born in
Howland township, Mar. 23, 1847. He remained on the farm till
1867, when he entered mercantile business as a clerk for W. H.
Smith & Co. The firm of Kirk & Christy was formed
in 1868, composed of Isaac Kirk and H. C. Christy.
Howard C. Bradley has since been admitted into the
partnership. Their trade consists of hard ware, house
findings, and agricultural implements. Mr. Christy
married in 1877, Miss Mary Hunter, of Howland township.
CYRUS J. VanGORDER,
son of James L. and Elizabeth VanGorder, was
born in Suffield, Portage county, Ohio, in 1815. Sept. 23,
1840, he married Miss Jane Seeley, daughter of Sylvanus
and Mary Seeley. They have one daughter and one son -
Mrs. John Kinsman, of Warren, and George S. Mr.
VanGorder was in business with his father for many years, and
was one of the originators of the Warren Gas works. In regard
to his efforts in this direction the Scientific American of Jan. 17,
Mr. C. J. VanGorder, of Warren, Ohio,
conceiving it his duty to provide a better illumination for his
fellow-townsmen, went to work and erected a coal gas manufactory,
without any further knowledge of the process than that which he has
derived from reading the various articles relating to it published
from time to time in the Scientific American. His experience
in overcoming obstacles and local prejudices has been no exception
to the general rule, but he has the satisfaction of having triumphed
over all of them, both material and mental, and the pleasure of
seeing his scheme in successful operation, and his work appreciated
by his towns men.
JAMES G. BROOKS,
oldest son of Oliver J. Brooks and Althea Gilbert,
was born in Warren, Ohio, Apr. 22, 1831. His father, who is
still living, in Chicago, was born in New Jersey in 1795, and came
to Warren about 1816 or 1817. Oliver Brooks, the
father of Oliver J., came out several years earlier, about
1808. Oliver, Jr., was engaged in the tanning business
for many years in Warren, with his brother, the firm being R. S.
& O. J. Brooks. He raised a family of three sons and
three daughters. James G. Brooks, in 1848, commenced as
clerk with E. Hoyt & Co., where he remained some three years.
In 1852 he purchased, in connection with Warren Packard,
the business of Harmon & Co., and has been constantly in trade
since, although the partnership has undergone several changes.
In the winter of 1882 the interest of Warren Packard
was purchased and the present firm of Babbitt, Brooks
& Smith formed, who do an extensive business, both wholesale
and retail. Mr. Brooks was married in 1855 to
Miss Maria Bennett, by whom he had two daughters,
Helen, wife of J. P. Stephenson, of Ottawa, Kansas, and
Mary, wife of James McCormick, of Warren. His
wife died in 1862, and in 1877 he married Caroline M. Pennock.
By this marriage he has two children, Alice and James D.
E. P. BABBITT was born in Morris
county, New Jersey, Apr. 19, 1841. He received a common school
education, and engaged in mercantile pursuits, in which he continued
until coming to Ohio, in 1865. He entered the employ of
Warren Packard as traveling salesman until Jan. 1, 1869,
when he was admitted to partnership. The firm name was
Packard, Cook & Co., afterward Warren Packard
& Co. Mr. Packard retired from the firm Jan. 1,
1882, when the present firm of Babbitt, Brooks &
formed. This firm is doing an extensive whole sale and retail
business. November, 1868, Mr. Babbitt married Miss
L. A. Adams, of Morris county, New Jersey. They are the
parents of three children, Mary E., Edward A., and Sarah
A. Mr. Babbitt is a member of the Presbyterian church and
superintendent of the Sabbath school.
AUGUSTUS L. Van GORDER,
son of Isaac Van Gorder, one of the early settlers of Warren
township, was born in Warren in 1823. He followed carpentering
and painting for several years. In the fall of 1861 he removed
to Bowling Green, Wood county, Ohio, where he remained for two
years, engaged in farming. He then returned to Trumbull
county, where he was engaged at farming until his death, which
occurred in May, 1869. He married for his first wife Mary
L. Beardsley, daughter of Curtis and Sophia Beardsley, of
Canfield township, and had a family of six children, of whom three
are living. His first wife died in July, 1859, and in 1860 he
married Alice E. Hunt, by whom he had three children, who,
with their mother, now reside in Madison, Lake county.
HENRY L. Van GORDER,
son of Augustus L. and Mary S. Van Gorder, was
born in Warren, July 30, 1850. At the age of seventeen he
commenced as clerk in the drug store of which he is now an owner,
then the firm of Hoyt, Stratton & Hapgood.
After an absence of two years on-the home place, he returned to his
former position in the same store with the new firm of Hoyt &
Spear. For a couple of years he was on the road selling
agricultural implements. He became a member of the firm of
Hoyt, Bradford & Co. In the spring of 1882 the firm
was changed to Bradford & Van Gorder, wholesale
and retail drugs, groceries, etc.
MRS. DORAS (BOYLE) GASKILL
was born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, July 30, 1827. Her
father, John Sullivan Boyle, was of English ancestry but of
Irish birth, born in Castletown, Ireland. He came to the United
States about the year 1820, and spent several years in traveling,
subsequently locating in Butler county, Pennsylvania, where he
engaged in teaching school. He married in Butler county,
Nancy Dunlap, whose father was a large landholder there, and an
early resident of the county. About 1830 Mr. Boyle
removed to Warren, where he was engaged in teaching and in other
pursuits, being for some time a clerk in the office of General
Perkins. He died at the residence of his daughter, the
subject of this sketch, in April, 1865, at the age of nearly eighty
years, surviving the death of his wife only a few weeks. They
were the parents of nine children, four of whom grew to mature age.
Mrs. Gaskill received her early education at private schools
in Warren. She was an apt pupil, and attained such proficiency
in her studies that before she had reached her thirteenth year she
began teaching a private school in Warren. She subsequently
attended the Willoughby (Ohio) Collegiate institute, and also the
Western Reserve seminary at Farmington, Ohio, where she completed
her education. Her connection with the Union schools of
Warren, which continued for a period of about twenty years, began
under the superintendency of Mr. Leggett. She
has taught in private schools in Warren for nearly an equal length
of time; and so, for upwards of forty successive years, with the
exception of two years - 1875 and 1876 - during which she was matron
of the Chicago Female college, she has been thus prominently
identified with the educational interests of the place. As a
teacher she was very popular, and her career, pursued not without
difficulties often, has been attended with much success. She
was married Apr. 5, 1848, to Peter Gaskill, of Warren,
and has a family of three children.
was born in Hartford county, Connecticut, on the 14th
of July, 1822. When nine years of age he came to Trumbull
county with his parents, who settled in Vienna, where his father is
still living upwards of ninety years of age. His mother died
many years ago. They reared three children, of whom two are
living - Ambrose in Vienna, and the subject of this sketch in
Warren. Mr. Alonzo Truesdell came to Warren in 1839,
where about 1850 he engaged in the furniture business, in which he
has been engaged ever since. In the spring of 1859 he formed a
partnership with Mr. Townsend, which has existed since.
The firm manufactures furniture, selling at wholesale from the
factory and retailing from the store. Mr. Truesdell was
married in 1849 to Esther S. King, and has three children -
Charles, a finisher in the factory; Walter K., a
farmer and county surveyor in Pawnee county, Kansas; and Frank W.,
itor and proprietor of the Petroleum World newspaper, at Titusville,
C. A. ADAMS, oldest son
of Asahel and Lucy (Mygatt) Adams, was born in Warren, Ohio,
Dec. 18, 1818. Asahel Adams was born in Connecticut and
came to Ohio with his father, Asahel, Sr., about the year
1802. The family settled in Liberty township, Trumbull county, where
they cleared up a place which is still in possession of the family.
C. A. Adams received a common school and academic education
and was brought up to mercantile pursuits. He began in trade
in Warren in 1837, and continued there several years. He was
one of the proprietors of the Western Reserve Chronicle for some ten
years, firm of Adams & Hapgood, and for a time of
Adams, Hapgood & Ritezel. He was postmaster
of Warren four years under Taylor and Fillmore, and
was deputy-collector of United States internal revenue for Trumbull
county during the war of 1861–65. He resigned this position in
1865 and removed to Cleveland. After removing to Cleveland he
engaged in mercantile business, organizing the firm of Adams,
Osborn & Goodwillie. Mr. Osborn
afterwards retired and Mr. Adams continued with Mr.
Goodwillie under the firm name of Adams &
Goodwillie, until 1879, when he retired from active business.
He was married in 1863 to Mrs. K. E. Denis, and has a family
of two daughters and two sons.
SAMUEL PEW came from
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, to Trumbull county as early as
1809, and located on what is now the Dr. Woods property, west
of Warren. He brought his wife and one child, and all his
worldly goods with a single horse. The mother and child, with
a feather bed, were carried by the horse, while Mr. Pew
footed it, carrying his gun. After improving the place on
which he first located, he sold out and bought where Henry
Ernst now lives. He finally purchased four hundred acres
where his son Seymour now lives, which was his permanent home.
He died at the home of his son, S. H. Pew, about 1855.
His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Downey, whom he
survived about two years. He had thirteen children, all of
whom were born in Ohio, except the oldest. Only two are now
living - Seymour, and Horace, who lives in Bazetta
township. Seymour Pew was born on the place
where he still lives in Warren township, in 1816. He received
from his father a farm of one hundred acres in Lordstown township,
where he lived for some time. He then bought the home place
where he has since lived. He was married Dec. 25, 1840, to
Sarah J. Snyder, and has had seven children, only three of whom
survive - H. S., John, and Laura J. Swisher, who lives
at New Straitsville, Ohio. The two sons are engaged in the
crockery, china, and silver-plated ware business in Warren, under
the firm name of Pew & Brother. H. S. Pew was
married in 1865 to Julia, daughter of Richard Elliott,
a resident of Champion township, and has three children - Kirt
E., Addie L., and Fred C.
JULES VAUTROT, son
of Francis and Marie, was born in France Oct. 17, 1819, and
with his parents came to this country in 1834, the family settling
near Meadville, Pennsylvania. When sixteen he commenced an
apprenticeship at the jewelers' trade in Pittsburg, and afterwards
worked in Louisville, Kentucky, two years. In 1849 he came to
Warren, Ohio, and for nearly two years was in the employ of
Walter King. He then engaged in business for
himself and is still engaged in the same, having had partners at
various times. The firm is now Vautrot & Hull.
He was married in November, 1844, to Miss Rosella Gandillot,
who was born in France in 1825, and has one son and one daughter,
Jules J. and Julia. Mrs. Vautrot died in 1856. Mr.
Vautrot was formerly a director in the Trumbull National
bank, of Warren, and is now connected with the Second National.
His son Jules was a member of the Eighty-fourth Ohio
volunteer infantry in the war of the Rebellion, and was at the
battle of Cumberland in 1862. In 1864 he was in the one
hundred day service, being a corporal in the One Hundred and
Seventy-first Ohio national guards, and was taken prisoner with his
regiment at Cynthiana, Kentucky.
CALEB PECK was born in
Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1799; came to Ohio in 1820, and Nov. 1,
1832, was married to Rebecca J. Porter, who was born in
Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, Jan. 27, 1813. Her parents,
Francis and Sarah Porter, came to Ohio in 1826, settling in
Howland township, afterwards, about 1831, removing to Champion,
where he died in May, 1860. Mr. Peck, the subject of
our sketch, was a resident of Warren from 1836 to 1860, engaged in
the grocery trade, when he was
burnt out, losing about $10,000. He then moved to the place
now occupied by the family. He died Dec. 3, 1880. His
widow is still living. They have five children, namely: A.
F., born in 1833, in Warren, George S., 1844, also in
Warren; Elizabeth S., married and residing in Illinois,
Alanson J., born in 1853, conducting the home place; Mary J.,
born in 1857, at home. Mr. Peck was a member of the
BENJAMIN H. PECK,
oldest son of Harvey and Susan Peck, was born in New Haven
county, Connecticut, July 18, 1824. He attended anacademy at
Orange and taught school for two or three years, remaining at home
until of age. In 1847 he came to Mercer county, Pennsylvania,
and engaged in mercantile business; went to Pittsburg in 1849, where
he was engaged in business two or three years. He came to
Warren, Ohio, in the spring of 1854, where he started in the dry
goods business, soon after taking into partnership his brother,
H. Peck, and has since done a successful business. The firm is
Peck & Brother. Dec. 26, 1876, he was married to
Miss Margaret Matthews, a native of Ireland, born
in June, 1845, who came to this country with her parents in 1846,
the family settling in Farmington. Mr. and Mrs. Peck
are the parents of one daughter and one son, namely: Lina,
born Mar. 23, 1878; Harvey, born Oct. 29, 1879.
A. HOELZ emigrated to
this country from Germany in 1854; resided in New York fifteen
years; then removed to Greenville, Pennsylvania, where he remained
eleven years, coming thence to Warren in the spring of 1880.
He engaged in the merchant tailoring business, which he still
continues under the firm name of A. Hoelz & Son, and which he
has been engaged in most of the time since coming to America.
wife Deborah (Thorn), originally from the State of New York,
with their family to Erie county, Pennsylvania, and thence to
Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1842 or 1843. They settled first in
Lordstown township, on a place now belonging to John McKee,
but shortly afterwards moved into Warren township. About 1846
Mr. Adams bought of Judge King the Aaron
Reeves place, in Warren township, where he lived until his
death, which took place in 1871, at the age of seventy-eight.
His widow is still living with other children on the old place, and
is now eighty-eight years of age, though still smart and active.
A. H. Adams, a son of David and Deborah Adams, was
born in Galway, Saratoga county, New York, in 1821, and removed with
his parents to Trumbull county. He married in 1856 Sarah E.
Brockway, who had been a teacher in the public schools of Warren
for three years. Her father, Noah T. Brockway, was one
of the early settlers in the vicinity of Warren, where Mrs. Adams
was born in 1828. Mr. and Mrs. Adams are the parents of
six children, who are living—Louise M., Clara L., Marvin E.,
Alonzo H., Sarah E., and Charles E. Mr. Adams has
been engaged, to a considerable extent, in the insurance business
and also in patents. He formerly dealt largely in butter and
cheese and in wool.
JAMES H. SMITH,
son of Philander W. and Martha F. Smith, was
born in Monroe county, New York, Sept. 6, 1834.
His father removed with his family to Ohio in 1837,
and settled in Bazetta, Trumbull county, where he
spent the balance of his life. He was a
carpenter by trade. He raised a family of
three daughters and eight sons, of whom nine are
living. He died Apr. 30, 1860, and his wife
Dec. 9, 1867. Mr. Smith was a
soldier of the War of 1812. James H. Smith
came to Warren in 1850 and commenced clerking in the
hardware store of George K. Reynolds.
He was in similar positions in New York city and
Janesville, Wisconsin, for several years.
Returning to Warren from New York city, he commenced
with Mr. J. P. Freer, the firm name being
Freer & Smith, in the grocery business. In
April, 1864, he enlisted in the One Hundred and
Seventy-fifth Ohio national guard; was wounded at
the battle of Cynthiana, Kentucky, was mustered out
at Johnson's island, Aug. 22, 1864. He was
married November 16th, of the same year, to Miss
Mary A. Douglass, daughter of Thomas Douglass,
and has one daughter - Zell Patti,
born Nov. 18, 1867.
G. T. TOWNSEND was
born in Youngstown, Ohio, in 1813. His father, John F.
Townsend, a native of Wilmington, Delaware, came to Youngstown
from Red Stone, Pennsylvania, as early as 1806. He was a
hatter by trade, which he followed for many years, finally removing
farm at Girard. He married, in Mercer county, Pennsylvania,
about 1808, Anna Watson, and reared six children, of
whom all but one are living. He died in Youngstown at the age
of eighty-four. Mr. G. T. Townsend at the age of
sixteen commenced to learn the cabinet trade in Youngstown, and
afterwards worked at the trade in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. In
May, 1859, he came to Warren, Ohio, and engaged in the furniture
business in partnership with Alonzo Truesdell, who had
established the business some years previous. In exactly one
year afterwards the firm were burned out. They immediately
rebuilt, but the elements seemed determined upon their destruction.
They were subsequently burned out three times, and in 1879 a tornado
damaged their store and stock to the amount of $2,000.
Messrs. Truesdell & Townsend have been in business
together for nearly a quarter of a century. Mr.
Townsend in 1836 was married to Miss Mary L. Kellogg.
His family at one time consisted of three children, but only one is
WILLIAM S. WOODROW
JAMES WILSON, a
native of Ohio, lived on a farm in Warren township about sixty
years. Nancy, his wife, a native of Maryland, is still
living. Mr. Wilson died in 1879, aged
seventy-nine years. They had fourteen children, eleven of whom
arrived at years of maturity. Six sons and three daughters are
still living, viz: Catharine (Beach), Harriet (Curtis),
Laura (Masters), William H., Corwin V.,
James F., Edward B., and Welty J. Five of the
sons are ministers of the Methodist Episcopal church. J. F.
Wilson is an attorney at Warren. Rev. W. J. Wilson,
the second son, is now pastor of the Kinsman and Gustavus Methodist
churches. He was born in 1839. He graduated from
Allegheny college in 1866, and followed teaching six years.
Four years of this time he was superintendent of the union schools
in Washington, Pennsylvania. In 1872 he entered the ministry
and has since labored in Trumbull and Mahoning counties. He
was married, in 1866, to Emma N. Whittlesey, of Atwater,
Portage county. Their four children are May M., Lou N., John W.,
and Roy C. Mr. Wilson's ministerial work has been greatly
blessed, and he is deservedly popular.
SIMON R. ESTABROOK
was born in Holden, Worcester county, Massachusetts,
in 1805, and came to Trumbull county, Ohio, in the fall of 1835.
His first wife Frances (Scarborough), whom he married in
Brooklyn, Connecticut, died before his removal to Ohio, leaving him
one child, a daughter, now the wife of Professor Newton, of
Oberlin college. He married for his second wife Mary
Bushnell, a daughter of General Andrews Bushnell, of
Hartford township, and resided in that township a year or two, but
afterwards lived where his son James now lives, up the river
in Warren township, where he owned some three hundred acres of land.
He had bought the place where his daughters now live, and was
improving it when, one morning
ULYSSES J. ADGATE,
son of John H. and Nancy (Hover) Adgate, was born in Warren,
Dec. 8, 1828. John H. Adgate was a native of New
London, Connecticut, where he was born in 1791, and came with his
father, John H. Adgate, Sr., to Trumbull county, Ohio,
in 1800. John Adgate, Sr., was the owner of
twelve hundred acres of land, southeast of and adjoining Warren.
John H. Adgate, Jr., was a farmer by occupation. He
married previous to the War of 1812, Nancy, daughter of
Emanuel Hover, a pioneer of Warren. They raised a family
of eight children, of whom five are living. He was a soldier
in the War of 1812. In 1857 he moved to Kansas, where he died
in April, 1861. Mrs. Adgate died in February,
1855. Ulysses J. married July 4, 1855, Jane,
daughter of William A. Davidson, a former resident of
Farmington township. They have had three children, of whom two
are living, William A., and Margaret M., wife of
Edward Bratton, a resident of Howland township. Frank
died when four years old. Mr. Adgate was a resident of
Kansas some four years, commencing with 1857. Returning to
Ohio, he enlisted the Nineteenth Ohio volunteer infantry, and
participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Chickamauga, and
Chattanooga; was at the siege of Atlanta, went in pursuit of Hood,
and was at the battles of Nashville and Franklin, Tennessee;
afterwards went to Texas, and continued in the service until after
the close of the war,
(July 7, 1871), while crossing the railroad bridge on the main line
of the Atlantic & Great Western railroad, he was run over and almost
instantly killed by a passenger train. He was an active and
valued member of the Presbyterian church, and a highly esteemed
citizen. By his second marriage he had four sons and two
daughters named as follows: James A., Simon, David
B., Frederick A., Mary B., and Ellen M. Simon,
David, and Frederick are dead—the last named being
drowned when about thirteen, while trying to save a comrade, with
whom he was in swimming in the Mahoning river. James
resides on the home place, married Martha Aldridge, and has
four children. The daughters reside in Warren, and are
unmarried. Ella has been a teacher in the public
schools of Warren. Mrs. Mary Estabrook died October,
1879, aged about sixty-four.
making in all over four years. He was mustered out at Columbus
in December, 1865. Returning to civil life, he resumed his
farm life on his place in Warren township, where he has since
JOHN L. SMITH,
son of Johnson and Susan Smith, was born in Port Patrick,
Scotland, Aug. 31, 1841. In 1845 his parents removed to
Grimsby, England, where his father was a contractor on the
government docks. He was killed at New Holland in 1848.
In 1853 the widow, with her family, came to the United States,
locating in Cleveland, Ohio, where all but the subject of this
sketch still reside. He followed the occupation of
gardener until learning the trade of stone-cutter. Aug.
31, 1862, he enlisted in company C, Nineteenth Ohio volunteer
infantry, and was in the battle of Stone River, and was one of
the three of whom special mention was made for bravery in that
battle. At the battle of Chickamauga, September 19th, he
was captured and was an inmate of Libby prison and of other
places, finally escaping from Danville with other prisoners was
recaptured in the Blue Ridge mountains, bucked and gagged and
returned to Danville. From there he was taken to
Andersonville and experienced all the horrors of that place for
seven months. Upon the approach of General
Sherman he was removed to Florence, South Carolina. Dec. 9,
1864, he was paroled, and returned home on furlough.
Early in 1865 he joined his regiment at Nashville, Tennessee,
and was finally discharged June 12th, the war having ended.
Returning from the army he came to Warren and with Barnhart
Goehring, under the firm name of Goehring &
Smith, engaged in contracting and building, in which they
did an extensive business. In 1874 Mr. Smith
purchased the interest of his partner, and has since carried on
the business. He was elected county commissioner of
Trumbull county in the fall of 1879, and is the first officer of
that kind elected from Warren township in forty-five years.
He is also chief of the fire department. Mar. 25, 1869, he
married Carrie G. Tovey, of Cleveland, and has two sons,
Albert C. and William T.
DAVID B. GILMORE
was born in Warren, Ohio, June 14, 1819. He is the oldest son
of William and Mary Gilmore. William Gilmore,
a native of Pennsylvania, came to Ohio about 1810, and settled in
Warren, where he conducted
the business of tanner and currier for William Quigley, on
what is now Park avenue, for a few years. Of his six children
but two survive, David B. and James A., residents of
Philadelphia. He died in 1853. David B., when
seventeen, commenced an apprenticeship at cabinet-making. He
entered into partnership in 1840, with his former employer,
William Williams, for one year, when he bought him out
and the business was continued under different firms until 1857.
He was elected county treasurer in the fall of 1857 and re-elected
in 1859, serving four years. In 1862, he engaged in the boot
and shoe business, under the firm of Cranage & Gilmore,
for two years. From 1865 to 1871 he conducted the Gilmore
house (now the Clifford house). He
afterwards engaged in the furniture trade till the spring of 1879,
when he retired from business. He has been twice married; in
1842, to Charlotte T. Jameson, the result of which marriage
are the following children: Wallace J., born in August, 1843,
and Charlotte J., born in January, 1851, now wife of
William R. Case, residing in Philadelphia. Mrs.
Gilmore died Apr. 25, 1867, and Mar. 30, 1881, he married
Susan Moyer, daughter of Gideon Moyer, a former resident
JOHN CRATSLEY, was
born in Ontario county, New York, May 23, 1829. He was the
youngest son of Frederick and Emma (Chamberlin) Cratsley.
He came with his parents to Ohio in 1836. The family located
in Vienna township, Trumbull county, where he remained until his
twenty-fifth year. Nov. 6, 1856, he married Mary J.,
daughter of Hugh and Jane (Campbell) Love.
Hugh Love was born in Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, in 1805, and came with his parents to Hubbard
township, where his father was one of the pioneers. He
continued to reside in the township until 1868, when (coal having
been discovered on his place as early as 1840) he sold out to
Chauncey Andrews and removed to Warren, purchasing the
Judge Brown place, where he lived until his death, which
occurred May 16, 1881, and that of his wife a year before.
They raised a family of eight children, all of whom are living.
He was an active member and liberal supporter of the church.
Mr. and Mrs. Cratsley are the parents of two children, one
son and one daughter, as follows: Albert B., born Feb. 26,
1858, now teaching school in Hubbard; and Emma J., born in
Vienna Dec. 4, 1859. Mr. Cratsley held several township
offices in Howland, of which he was a resident some six teen years,
removing from there to Warren in 1881.
JOSIAH SOULE, SR.
was born in Plimpton, Massachusetts, in 1796. He traced his
descent directly back to George Soule who came over in
the Mayflower. He (Josiah Soule) came from
Massachusetts in 1817 and settled in Warren. His trade was
that of builder and contractor. He served in the War of 1812.
He died in 1872. He married Sally Young, sister
of Warren Young, born in Wareham, Massachusetts, in
1799. His widow is still living in Warren. They raised
eleven children of whom four are living, as follows: Josiah,
Jr., Isaac, and Harrison, in Illinois; and
Miss Julia Soule, of Warren.
JOSIAH SOULE, JR. was born in
Warren May 29, 1819; married, in 1843, Ann, daughter of
John Ratliff. She died in 1857, aged about
thirty-three years. She was the mother of one son and one
daughter. The former died in infancy and the latter is the
wife of Howard B. Weir. In 1861 Mr. Soule was
again married to Malvina Kellogg, whose father, Charles
Kellogg, moved from Connecticut, settling in Gustavus. By
this marriage he has one son, Henry Bishop, born Sept. 24,
1865. His second wife died June 4, 1871. Mr. Soule
is a contractor and builder, having learned the trade when he
young Camden Cleveland was a native of Canterbury, Connecticut, and
was born in April, 1778. On May 25, 1800, he married Betsey
Adams, and the same year came out and located land in Liberty
township, Trumbull county, returning for his wife and settling in
1801. He cleared up a farm in Liberty and lived there until
1814, when he removed to Youngstown township, locating on the place
now owned by Jacob Stambaugh, where he lived until his
death. He was a judge of Warren at an early day. He was
an early school-teacher in Youngstown township, and had a grist-mill
there known as the Cleveland mill. Judge Cleveland
was a younger brother of Moses Cleaveland, for
whom the Forest City was named. He died Mar. 13, 1826.
Five of his seven children are still living. Mrs.
Betsey Cleveland died August, 1867.
BENJAMIN NEWPORT ROBBINS
was born in Maryland in 1799, and when about one year old removed
with his parents to Ohio. He was a farmer by occupation. About 1838
or 1839 he was elected county treasurer of Trumbull county and
afterwards re elected. He was subsequently elected sheriff, which
position he also filled two terms. He married, on the 3d of May,
1827, Eliza Payne, daughter of Camden Cleveland, who was born in
Liberty township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Aug. 29, 1806, and who
still resides in Warren. Three children were born of this
marriage - Laura Newport, wife of Homer Baldwin,
of Youngstown; Charles Cleveland, of Mesopotamia; and
Albert A., of Youngstown. Mr. Robbins died Dec. 30,
CYRUS BOSWORTH was
a native of Plymouth county, Massachusetts, born in 1791. He
married Sina Strowbridge in Massachusetts. Coming to
Ohio in the fall of 1813, he subsequently entered into mercantile
business in Warren, also kept public house where the Park hotel now
stands. He was elected sheriff about 1826, filling that
position two terms. He also represented his district in the
Legislature. He was an elder in the Disciple church. He
was the father of seven children, all of whom are living. He
died in April, 1861. His daughter, Elizabeth S.,
born in Warren, May 12, 1821, became the wife of J. G. Calender,
who was born in Poultney, Vermont, in 1815. At the time of his
marriage he was residing at Newton Falls, engaged in the manufacture
of stone pumps. In 1863, he purchased a flouring mill in
Milton, Mahoning county. He also owned a tow mill,
woolen-factory, and saw-mills, at Price's Mills, in the same
township, and was an enterprising business man there for many years.
He died May 24, 1872. He was county auditor of Trumbull county
for two terms, elected first about 1840. In 1875, Mrs.
Calender came to Warren where she has since resided.
LEMUEL G. MATHEWS,
son of James and Mary (Calhoun) Mathews, was born in Liberty
township, Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan. 2, 1815. James
Mathews was born in Pennsylvania, in 1769, and came to Ohio in
1799, settling in Liberty township. In 1828 he removed to
Warren township, and settled in the woods on the farm now owned by
his son L. G., where he spent the rest of his life, and where
he died in 1834. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. He
married in Pennsylvania, previous to his removing to Ohio, Mary
Calhoun who was born in 1776, and died at the age of eighty
two. They raised a family of twelve children, of whom but two
survive: Betsey, widow of Loren W. Hulburt, residing
in Portage county, and L. G., the subject of this sketch. Lemuel
G. married in 1840, Jane, daughter of James Pew,
an early settler of Lordstown. They have had six children, of
whom our are living: Alfred J., born in 1841, died at the age
of twenty-four; Mary Jane, wife of Carlos Williams,
resides on the home place; Edward F. resides on a farm adjoining his
father; Priscilla Annie, now wife of Edwin
Park, a resident of Lordstown; Lottie J., still at home.
Her twin brother died in infancy. Mr. Mathews
owns the home place and occupies a fine residence built in 1858.
JOEL DOWNS was born in
Sandersfield, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, in 1772. He
married in New York Lois Mansfield, and came to Ohio in the
fall of 1816. He settled in Southington, Trumbull county,
where he resided a short time; also in Howland, coming to Warren in
1818. He lived in Warren in the south part of the town until
1835, when he removed to the place on Parkman road known as
Hard-scrabble, and cleared up a place there. He raised a
family of seven children, of whom three sons survive. He
died in the fall of 1862, his wife surviving him some nine years and
dying aged about seventy-seven. Mr. Downs was a soldier
of the War of 1812.
WILSON DOWNS, son of
Joel, was born May 16, 1826. He learned the trade of
stone-mason and brick-layer, and has since followed his trade, being
now engaged in building and contracting. He married, Nov. 25,
1852, Miss Elizabeth Hardman, born in Weathersfield Sept. 13,
1831. Their children are Mary M., wife of J. R.
Porter, of Warren, born Mar. 24, 1854; Francis C., Apr.
9, 1857; Charles W., Sept. 15, 1859; Add E., Apr. 24,
1862; Bert B., Apr. 26, 1866.
JAMES A. BLACKBURN youngest son
of James and Eliza (McClellan) Blackburn, was born in
Canfield, Mahoning county, Ohio, February 12, 1837. James
Blackburn, Sr., was born in Poland township, Mahoning county.
He married April 10, 1832, Eliza McClellan, daughter of an
early settler. She was born November 13, 1806. They raised a
family of six children, all of whom are living. The family continued
to live in what is now Mahoning county until 1840, when they removed
to Braceville township, Trumbull county, where they lived until the
spring of 1866, when they moved to Warren township, where they spent
the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Blackburn died Nov.
23, 1869, and Mr. Blackburn, Feb. 20, 1872.
James A., Jr., resides on the home place. He was elected justice
of the peace in 1870 and re-elected in 1882.
ZEBULON Van HOUTER
was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, Nov. 1, 1804. He is
the oldest son of Richard and Sarah Osborn. With his
parents he removed to Stark county in 1808, and to Trumbull county
in 1815, settling in Lordstown township. Richard, the father
of William, raised a family of two daughters and four sons,
all of whom are living. He died about 1860. He was a justice
of the peace. William remained on the farm until his
marriage in 1825 to Sarah, daughter of John Jordan,
an early settler of Poland township. She was born in said
township Jan. 20, 1801. They were the parents of eleven
children, seven of whom are living. Mrs. Osborn
died Sept. 21, 1851, and in 1855 he married Angeline
Current, who was born in Howland township in 1825. By this
marriage there were six children, five of whom are living:
William P., a resident of Niles; Ida M., wife of Frank
Rufe, of Niles; Cora M., Frank E., and
Warren C. Three are still at home. Mrs.
Osborn died July 4, 1874. After his marriage he settled in
Lordstown township, where he cleared up a farm, and where he
remained until 1848, when he removed to Warren township, purchasing
the U. B. White farm. In 1876 he moved to Warren, where
he now resides.
DAVID R. BYARD, son
of David and Margaret Byard, was born in Youngstown, Ohio,
Feb. 1, 1857. His parents removed to Sharon, Pennsylvania, in
1862, where he entered a drug store as clerk at the age of twelve.
He resided there till 1873, when he came to Warren, and in June,
1874, commenced the drug business, which he is still engaged in.
His mother is still living, vigorous in mind and body.
SANDS BOUTON, a
native of Long Island, came to Ohio about 1835, and afterwards
settled in Farmington township. He was elected county recorder
of Trumbull county and filled that position two terms. He
married Jennette Butler and raised a family of ten children;
five daughters and two sons survive. He was a long time member
of the Presbyterian church; died in 1855 at Kansas City. His
daughter Jennette, born in New York State Mar. 19, 1819,
married Isaac S. Scott in Warren, in 1839. Mr.
Scott was born in Vienna township, Trumbull county, in 1813;
he died Apr. 30, 1879. Mrs. Scott is still
living. She is the mother of one son and three daughters.
The son, Lucius J., enlisted in 1861 in the Nineteenth Ohio
volunteer infantry, and was in the battles of Pittsburgh Landing and
Stone River. He was killed Jan. 2, 1863. Of the daughters
Olive M. is the wife of Henry B. Weir, Mary E. of
Frank Van Wormer; Emma D. is still at home.
JOHN BROWN was born in
Washington county, Pennsylvania, Mar. 17, 1789. He came to
Warren, Ohio, in 1806. He was a hatter by trade and engaged in
that business in Warren. He was a volunteer in the War of
1812, serving six months. He married Miss Elizabeth Rankin,
born in New Jersey June 23, 1799. She came with her parents to
Ohio in 1806, passing through Warren and settling in Mesopotamia
township, afterwards removing to Warren. Mr. and Mrs. Brown
were the parents of six children, of whom five are living. He
died Aug. 24, 1861; Mrs. Brown is still living; still smart
for one of her advanced age. Their daughter, Martha M.,
who occupies the old family residence built in 1816 by her father,
was married Oct. 26, 1838, to James Ferguson, a cabinet maker
by trade, and had one daughter, Mary E., born July 30, 1839,
died May 7, 1861. Mr. Ferguson died Sept. 2, 1840.
ISAAC R. DALLY, was
born in Warren Dec. 31, 1805. His father, I. R. Dally, Sr.,
came to Ohio in 1800, settling on the place now owned by the subject
of this sketch, on which a small clearing had been made by a man
named Edward Jones, whose daughter Hannah was said to
have been the first white child born in the county. Isaac
R. Dally, Sr., in 1792 married in Pennsylvania a daughter of
Henry Lane, an early settler. He had a family of nine
children, of whom Isaac R., our subject, is the only
survivor. He resided on the home place until 1841, when he
removed to Indiana, where he died Aug. 17, 1843. Mrs. Dally
died May 19, 1836. Isaac was brought up to farming.
Nov. 4, 1830, he married Margaret, daughter of John and
Barbara Fusselman, early settlers of Warren, who settled in that
township in 1814. Mrs. Dally was born in Perry county,
Pennsylvania, June 7, 1807. They have had seven children, of
whom four are living - two died when young: Henry Harrison,
born August 7, 1831, now a resident of Newton Falls, Trumbull
county; Noah U., Nov. 9, 1833, enlisted in 1862 in the
Nineteenth Ohio volunteer infantry, and was wounded at Murfreesboro,
from which he died at Nashville, Jan. 27, 1863; Lydia E.,
born Feb. 11, 1838, at home; Effie B., born Mar. 13, 1840,
widow of Thomas M. Bradley, who died in 1863. She has
one son, Thomas M., born in
1862. Minerva P., born July 19, 1847, wife of Leslie
E. Osborn, a resident of Pennsylvania. The first church
service in Warren was held on the Dally place.
His father assisted in clearing up the public square, and in
building the first jail in Warren. Charles Dally
came here a year or two previous, and settled on the place now owned
by Mr. Dickey.
J. G. BUTLER, son of
Joseph and Esther (Green) Butler, was born in Bellefonte, Center
county, Pennsylvania, May 13, 1814. He received his education
at the common school and Bellefonte academy. He married in
1835, Temperance Orwig. Of their ten children five are
still living, four sons and one daughter: Ithamar M., now a
resident of Youngstown; J. G., superintendent and manager of
Brier Hill Iron & Coal company; Miles G., a resident of
Weathersfield township; James W., residing in Warren, and
Emma E. at home. Mr. Butler came from Pennsylvania
in 1842 and settled at Niles. He was clerk and bookkeeper for
James Ward & Co. seventeen years, when he moved to Warren.
He was elected sheriff in 1860 and re-elected in 1862. He had
previously been township clerk in Weathersfield some years, also
filled the same position in Warren township at a later date.
He is now engaged in the flour and feed business, which he engaged
in for himself in the spring of 1879. He is a member of the
Independent Order Odd Fellows and now worthy chief patriarch of the
A. E. LYMAN, a dentist
of Warren, was born in Massachusetts, and came to this State in
1853. He practiced this profession in Newton Falls, locating
there in 1855, but after several years concluded to perfect a course
in dental science, which he did in the Ohio Dental college,
Cincinnati, graduating from that institution in 1859. In 1866
he came to Warren, where he has built up for himself a successful
business. The doctor is one of the few dentists in this city
who have taken a full professional course of lectures. He is
well patronized, and deservedly so. His operating chair is one
of the latest improved, and his office is supplied with all the best
instruments and appliances used in the profession. Dr.
Lyman was married to Miss Sarah Rudolph, a cousin of
Mrs. James A. Garfield.
PETER LYNN, oldest son
of Adam and Rachel Lynn, was born in Trumbull (now Mahoning)
county, Apr. 20, 1828. In early life he followed the trade of
shoemaking, but in later years has followed farming. In 1849
he was married to Miss Sarah Wehr, by whom he has had five
children, three sons and two daughters, viz: Henry, George
F., Maria, Ferdinand, and Mary E. Henry and Maria
are dead. Mr. and Mrs. Lynn are members of the Reform
church of Warren township. His farm contains one hundred and
second son of Daniel and Catharine Wannamaker, was born in
Lynn township, Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in 1816. At the
age of eighteen he came to Trumbull county, subsequently purchasing
a farm of fifty acres in Southington township. This he sold a few
years afterwards and served an apprenticeship at the joiners trade,
which occupation he after ward followed in connection with his
brother John, for twenty-five years. He married at the
age of twenty-two, Miss Maria Stroup, by whom
he had one son, Jonas, who was killed at the battle of Perrysville,
in the war of 1861–65. He
was an orderly sergeant in the One Hundred and Fifth Ohio volunteer
infantry. The first wife of the subject of this sketch died
about eighteen months subsequent to her marriage, and he married for
his second wife Mrs. Matilda Murberger, widow of Daniel
Murberger, by whom he has had one daughter, Sarah Ada,
now Mrs. Edwin Odding. Mr. Wannamaker occupies a farm
of one hundred and fifty-seven acres in Warren township.
Himself and wife are members of the Reform church.
ISAAC BROBST, oldest
son of Henry and Susan nah Brobst, was born in Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, Sept. 10, 1824. Henry Brobst was
born in Lynn township, Lehigh county, Dec. 30, 1801. He came
to Ohio in April, 1825, and settled in Canfield, now Mahoning
county, afterwards removed to Austintown, where he resided until
1845, when he removed to Warren township, purchasing the land now
owned by his sons, Isaac, William, and John.
Four years afterwards he located where he first settled in 1826, and
where he still lives. Isaac Brobst was brought
up to farming, and remained at home until his marriage, Sept. 26,
1848, to Miss Catharine Hardman, whose father
was a well-known resident of Liberty township. Mrs.
Brobst was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, May 16, 1824. To
this marriage were born five sons and five daughters - William
H., Mrs. Harriet Wager, Eli, Charles Edward, Isaac, Mary L., Susan
M., Alice C., George F., and Lizzie J. Mr. Brobst was
married a second time Oct. 21, 1879, to Mrs. Lydia Rowe,
daughter of Philip Moser, born in Lehigh county,
Pennsylvania, Apr. 3, 1836. By this marriage he has one child
- Cornelia Pearl, born Aug. 28, 1880. After his
first marriage he settled on the place adjoining his present home in
Warren township, building his residence in 1870. William
Brobst, younger brother of Isaac, of the preceding
sketch, was born in Austintown, Jan. 16, 1836. When twenty-one
he learned the trade of stonemason, remaining at home until
twenty-three. Jan. 5, 1860, he married Miss Lisette
Grenekle, who was born in Hanover, Germany, Sept. 21, 1840.
This union was blessed with four children, three of whom are living
- Heman Ensign, born Oct. 1, 1860, died May 31, 1875,
Horace D., born Oct. 8, 1865; William Noble,
Dec. 20, 1874; Calvin Edward, Oct. 24, 1877.
Mr. Brobst located on his present place after his
marriage, and has carried on farming, while at the same time
conducting his trade of stone-mason.
son of Frederick and Catharine (Fisher) Klinite, was born in
Wurtemberg, Germany, Jan. 15, 1819; came to America with his parents
in 1832, who settled on the place now owned by Joseph
Kreitler. They afterwards lived in various places in
Trumbull county. Frederick Klinite died in 1878.
He had a family of nine children. Five are yet living. Godfrey,
when twenty years of age, bought fifty acres of land, and Sept. 3,
1845, was married to Mary Ann Rigle, who was born in Warren
May 4, 1828. They have four children - Sarah Ann,
born Mar. 4, 1846, wife of William Moyer; Samantha C.,
Aug. 3, 1849, wife of William Anderson; William B.,
Apr. 4, 1852; Solomon H., Apr. 22, 1857. After marriage Mr.
Klinite continued to live in Warren township, buying the
Samuel Bailey place about 1869, consisting of one hundred
and twelve acres.
SAMUEL GEPHART was
born in Shenango, Pennsylvania, Sept. 10, 1834. His father,
John A., was a native of Germany. After emigrating to this
country he settled in Pennsylvania, but came to Ohio in an early day
and settled in Warren township, and was afterwards engaged in trade
in Leavittsburg for about thirty years. Samuel learned
the blacksmith trade, but followed it only one year. In the
fall of 1856 he went to Illinois and resided in that State five or
six years, engaged in business. In the fall of 1864 he
commenced in the mercantile business in Leavittsburg, Trumbull
county, purchasing the business lately conducted by his father,
dealing in dry goods, groceries, etc., which he still continues, and
doing a successful business. June 10, 1869, he married Miss
Matilda Smith, of Braceville, and has four children, viz:
Estelle May, born Aug. 25, 1870; Louis A., Dec. 5, 1872;
Otis Q., Apr. 14, 1876; Clayton H., Oct. 2, 1877.
youngest son of John and Bridget (Rebholz) Kreitler, was born
in Hozenhollern, Germany, Dec. 9, 1829. When fifteen years old
he commenced a three years' apprenticeship at the trade of
millwright, and afterwards followed his trade some six years in
Switzerland. In November, 1853, he came to the United States,
locating in Boston, where, or in the vicinity, he remained until
1860, engaged in the cabinet and furniture business. In May of
that year he came to Ohio and located in Warren, and entered the
employ of Truesdell & Townsend. In the fall of
1860 he purchased a part of the place where he now lives, in Warren
township. He continued in the employ of Truesdell &
Townsend until 1876, meanwhile carrying on the farm with the
assistance of his boys. July 31, 1855, he married Miss
Josephine Kappler, who was born in Baden, Germany, Feb. 27,
1827. Mr. and Mrs. Kreitler have a family of eight
children, as follows: J. A., born Feb. 24, 1856, of Cleveland
(conducting a printing office); George E., May 15, 1858;
Josie A., Dec. 17, 1859; Louise C., Feb. 5, 1862;
Charles F., July 5, 1863; Albert H., Aug. 24, 1865;
Rhinehart G., Dec. 1, 1867; Walter E., Nov. 11, 1871.
JAMES McCONNELL, son of John and
Nancy McConnell, of Washington county, Pennsylvania, was born in
Weathersfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 6, 1814. John
McConnell came from Pennsylvania with his family, on horseback,
in 1804, and settled in Weathersfield, where he lived until his
death, which occured in 1823. He raised a family of
thirteen children, of whom three are now living. He was
a justice of the peace for many years, and a prominent man in
his community; was deacon in the Presbyterian church. James
McConnell came to Warren about 1840, and was engaged in the boot
and shoe trade until 1860, when he was burned out and since then has
been engaged in the grocery and restaurant business. He
married, June 29, 1842, Miss Sarah S., daughter of William
McCombs, an early settler in Poland township, and has had eight
children, of whom two daughters and four sons are living, viz:
John, Maria, Hattie, William J., Frank C., Harry R. John
was a member of the One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Ohio volunteer
infantry, and was wounded at Mission Ridge, and was discharged on
account of his injury.
D. C. THOMPSON was born in Mercer
county, Pennsylvania, in 1825. He became a resident of
Trumbull county in 1831; engaged in farming till the year 1865, when
he came to Warren and purchased of William Williams
the Franklin house. He kept hotel six years, when he rented
the property to parties engaged in different branches of business.
In 1871 he purchased the Gillmore house, kept hotel in
this about seven years, known during this time as the Thompson
house; did a large business. On account of his family
having grown up and married off he
sold to Jennie Smith. Since then the house has
been owned by her and run by Mr. Pancoast. Since
this Mr. Thompson has been living a retired life.
In the spring of 1881 he purchased a fine residence on Elm street.
In the year 1847 Mr. Thompson and Miss Minerva McMahon
were united in marriage. The family consists of three
daughters. Celia is the wife of Dr. Sherwood,
of Warren. Clara is the wife of William
Richard, and is successfully running a furnace in Virginia,
using the native ore. Alice is the wife of William
Willson, engaged in the iron business in Chicago.
SPEAR & VOIT,
furniture dealers, partnership formed Sept. 1, 1878, dealers in
furniture and upholstery. They occupy a room in the Spill
block. Mr. Spear for the past seven years previous to
this business, was engaged as salesman in the store of Truesdell
& Townsend. Mr. Voit was upholsterer in
the same establish ment, during the same time. Mr.
Spear is a native of Pennsylvania, but has been a resident of
Warren seventeen years. Mr. Voit is a native of
Warren. Mr. Spear married, and has a family of
five children. Mr. Voit is unmarried.
A. WHEELER was born in
Brookfield township, in 1826. At the age of sixteen he
commenced to learn the tinners trade with Freeman & Howard,
of Warren. Engaged in the business himself in Warren, in 1849,
in which he continued in company with B. P. Jameson
twenty-one years. Moved upon his place east of Warren in 1870,
returned to Warren in 1871, and resided three years. In 1873,
remodeled his house and beautified his yard, and completed a fine
home. At present, is engaged in farming. Was married in
1851 to Miss Sarah J. Gaskill, has a family of three
daughters, two of whom are married.
JAMES MULLEN was
born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, in 1812. At the age of
fourteen he learned the tailor trade, worked at it in Unionville, in
Chester county, five years. Here he was married in 1833, to
Miss Ann W. Robinson. In 1837 he became a citizen of
Warren, and engaged in custom work tailoring, afterwards kept a
stock of goods. The fire of 1860 burned his stock entirely up.
After this loss he spent a year in St. Louis. Since then he
has been working at custom work in Warren. Mr. Mullen's
family consists of seven children, all living and married. The two
oldest sons and daughter reside in St. Louis, Missouri, one in
Cleveland, and one in Illinois, and one daughter in Warren.
Mr. Mullen is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
S. F. BARTLETT was
born in Johnston township, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 3, 1841.
His father was a farmer, though he worked at the wagon making trade.
Mr. Bartlett, Sr., was a prominent citizen, and widely known
for his anti-slavery convictions. In 1858 Mr. S. F.
Bartlett commenced the blacksmith trade, at which he worked till
1867. From this date until 1874 he wa engaged in the livery
business in Warren. In the last-named year he was appointed
deputy sheriff of Trumbull county. In 1877 he was elected
sheriff, which position he still holds. He is also engaged in
the carriage business with Mr. Corbin. Mr. Bartlett
was married in 1861, and has one daughter. He is an active
Republican, and a worshipful master in the Masonic order. He
is a director of the Agricultural society and of the Second National
S. A. CORBIN
JOHN MARTIN, youngest
son of John and Mary Martin, was born in Germany Feb. 22,
1820. After receiving a German school education, he was
apprenticed at the age of sixteen to the blacksmith's trade, for a
period of three years. He worked two years in Switzerland, and
then returned to his native place where he worked as journeyman
blacksmith till 1847, when he came to America, and settled in
Youngstown. Two years later he came to Warren, and worked for
the fourteen succeeding years in Belden's carriage factory,
since the expiration of which time he has been in business for
himself. He married in 1849 Miss Nancy Demming, who was
born in New York State in 1826. They have a family of four
children, viz: William Humphrey, Charles H., Emma,
wife of Frank L. Brown, and Frederick, all live in
HENRY ERNST was born
in Perry county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 27, 1820, and came to Trumbull
county in 1833. Three years afterwards he began an
apprenticeship at the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he has
since followed, being one of the most extensive contractors in the
county. He also for a time operated a planing mill at Niles.
He was married in 1843 to Miss Harriet Southworth, and
has a family of five sons and four daughters - Silas S., George
H., Clayton, John H., Olive Ann, Jessie Benton Fremont, Delimoretta,
Nettie, and James Ward, all living, the oldest being
married. Mr. Ernst is now living upon a farm of
one hundred and seventy-four acres in Warren township.
WILLIAM A. ERNST
was born in Carlisle, Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, Nov. 15,
1829, oldest son of John and Margaret (Bradley) Ernest.
John Ernst was born in Pennsylvania about 1806. He came to
Ohio in the fall of 1836, and settled in Warren township, where he
carried on blacksmithing until 1858. He raised a family of ten
children, eight of whom are living. In 1858 he removed to
Illinois, where he died in 1875, and his wife in 1876.
William was educated in Warren, and at the age of twenty had
acquired his father's trade, which, since his marriage, he carried
on for himself in Warren, where he has resided continuously, with
the exception of one year spent in Cleveland. He was married
Mar. 16, 1852, to Mary Ann, daughter of Ferdinand Artman,
a former well-known resident of Warren. They are the parents
of three children - Clara E., wife of J. N. Butler, of
Warren; Frank H., a merchant of Warren; and Lucy M.,
born Nov. 8, 1868.
WALTER KING was born
in Suffield, Connecticut, Dec. 26, 1792; came to Ohio in 1815, and
settled in Warren. He was a silversmith by trade, and
conducted that business in connection with the jewelry trade forty
years. He built the King block, on Main street,
in 1827 and 1828, where he was located in business for some time.
Mar. 19, 1820, he married Cynthia Halladay, who was
born in Warren July 21, 1802. She is the oldest child of
Jesse and Sarah (Hover) Holladay. Jesse Holladay,
her father, was born in Kentucky in 1781, and married in
Pennsylvania in 1801, and came to Ohio the same year and located on
the premises now occupied by Porter's book store, where he
built a log house which he kept as a public house and also carried
on the business of hatter near the site of the present Trumbull
county bank. He raised six children of whom but two are
living, viz: Mrs. King, and Mrs. Dr. D. B. Woods.
Mr. and Mrs. King are the parents of six children of whom but
four are living, viz: Maria, residing with her mother;
Esther, wife of Alonzo Truesdell, of Warren; Walter B.,
a resident of Chicago, and Julius, of Cleveland. Ashbel
died in 1862, aged thirty-nine; Sarah, wife of R. M. St.
Clair, is also dead. Walter King was an active
temperance man. He died Apr. 5, 1855. Mrs.
King still resides in Warren.
to GO to TABLE of CONTENTS >