did not prevail in the Mahoning valley during the period of
first settlement to the same extent as in many other parts of
the State. A change of climate, and from the conditions of
a long settled and long cultivated country to a wet and shaded
forest, induced more or less ague and fever. In the
neighborhood of Warren there was very little bilious sickness.
Doctors were nevertheless needed, particularly in cases
requiring surgical operations. We are unable to state
positively who was the first physician located at Warren, but
Dr. John W. Seeley in all probability was. He located
in Howland township, on a farm, in 1801, having previously been
settled at Jefferson, Green county, Pennsylvania. He
removed his family to Howland in 1802. It is proper that
we should speak of Dr. Seeley as a Warren
physician, for his practice embraced Warren and a surrounding
territory of at least ten miles. He was a man of congenial
habits and affable manners. His professional attainments
were respected and praised. In the spring of 1812, when
the Government had lost all hope of a peaceful settlement of
difficulties with England, and a call was made for troops to
increase the army, Dr. Seeley was one of the most active
in this part of Ohio to encourage volunteering. When the
Trumbull company roll was finally full he was complimented by an
election to the captaincy, and was mustered into the army before
war was formally declared. We known very little of the
details of Dr. Seeley's army life, further than
that he attained to the rank of general. After the war
General Seeley resumed his profession. He
continued in active practice until the time of his death.
The Ohio and Pennsylvania canal project received from him
and valuable support. He labored from the beginning
soliciting stock, and afterwards, as one of the board of
directors, gave personal attention to its construction.
His death occurred on the day of triumph. A delegation of
Mahoning valley and Pennsylvania capitalists and citizens
celebrated the completion in March, 1841, of this link between
the Ohio and Pennsylvania canals, by an excursion to Akron.
It was a gala day, and General Seeley was a leading spirit in
the party, until seized by apoplexy. His death soon
followed. The same boat brought back his lifeless body.
DR. ENOCH LEAVITT came to
Warren township with his father, Enoch Leavitt, Sr.,
about 1805. He was at the time a young man, but whether a
practitioner or merely a student we are not informed. It
was not many years after that date, however, when he was
answering professional calls and making a reputation as a
physician. He was what has has beer called an “old line”
doctor—a dispenser of roots, herbs, and calomel, but that was
the common practice of the period. Time has added to all
sorts of scientific knowledge, medicine not excepted. We
learn from his gravestone at Leavittsburg, that he was born May
12, 1775, and died Aug. 7, 1827.
The next physician in practice, and latterly a
contemporary of Doctors Seeley and Leavitt
was John B. Harmon, whose office was in the village of
Warren. A full biograpical sketch will be found in this
SYLVANUS SEELEY was born in
Jefferson, Green county, Pennsylvania, Jan. 5, 1795. He
read medicine under his father in Howland township, this county,
and in 1812, though only seventeen years old. entered the
service as surgeon's mate to Dr. John Harmon, the friend
and contemporary of his father. He was present at the
attack on Fort Mackinac, and tendered Dr. Harmon
efficient assistance. In the year 1814 he married a
daughter of Colonel George Jackson, of Virginia, which
circumstance induced him to locate in that state. After a
few years he returned to Warren, and until his death stood
high as a physician, his reputation going beyond the limits
of Trumbull county. He died Apr. 2, 1849. He has two
surviving children, viz.: Mrs. Cyrus VanGorder, of
Warren, and George J. Seeley, of Cleveland.
DR. FARRELL was a physician of
considerable prominence between 1840 and 1861. HE was a
man of very respectable culture, and possessed the confidence of
a large circle of friends who regretted his departure.
Other physicians of some prominence were: Dr. Ebon
Blattsley, who practiced in Warren about ten years; Dr.
Kuhn was here a short about ten years; Dr. Kuhn was
here a short period; Dr. D. W. Jameson practiced about
three years, until his health failed; Dr. Nichols, a man
of some promise, died of consumption; Dr. William Paine
practiced some, but gave his attention chiefly to the drug
trade, and came to Warren in 1845.
The oldest practitioner in Warren, the oldest, with one
exception, in Trumbull county. His reputation needs no
defence and his merits no praise. John Woods,
father of the doctor, a Pennsylvanian of German descent, settled
in Youngstown township in 1816. Of his five children four
are living—Daniel B., John R., Sarah A. (Lanterman), and
Clark. E. Winchester died near Youngstown in August,
1878. John Woods died on his farm near
Youngstown, Mar. 22, 1863. Daniel B. Woods, the
oldest son, was born in Youngstown township, Nov. 11, 1816.
At the age of sixteen he entered Allegheny college, receiving
the full course of instruction, except the last term. In
1836 Mr. Woods began reading medicine under Dr.
John A. Packard, of Austintown. The degree of M. D.
was conferred in 1840 by the Ohio Medical college, Cincinnati,
where he had attended a regular course of lectures. In
April of the same year the young physician opened an office in
Warren. Since that time his energies and talent have been
closely devoted to the profession. Dr. Woods
has not been content to follow in the prescribed ruts, as is the
case with too many medical men of talent. It is well that
there are ruts for some practitioners, for their judgment would
be dangerous. Those, however, who are competent to rely
upon themselves generally profit by doing so. Dr.
Woods was one of the first doctors in the West to use
ether in surgical operations. He used chloroform before it
was manufactured for commerce or sold anywhere in the country.
This was about ten years after its discovery by Leibig in
Germany. From the formula by Professor Simpson,
of Edinburgh, Dr. Woods, assisted by Daniel
Jagger, a druggist in Warren, the first chloroform used,
at least in Northern Ohio, was made and administered to a
patient in October, 1846. The experiment was repeated in
the spring following. A few years later this valuable
anaesthetic came into general use in this country. Dr.
Woods' reputation as a surgeon is not confined to this
State. He is practical and careful. The doctor has
given some attention to politics, but is not, nor has he ever
been ambitious for political preferment. He has three
times been the Democratic candidate for Congress, the first time
against Joshua R. Giddings, and the last time against
James A. Garfield, in 1876. The latter, that year, carried
the county by only two hundred and fifty majority. Dr.
Woods married, in 1842, Phebe L. Holliday, of
Warren. Their family consists of five children living,
William E., Dallas M., Daniel B., Emma B., and Sarah E.
Julia E. (Smith), the youngest daughter is dead.
Dallas M. is a practicing physician in Warren.
William E. resides in Youngstown.
An extended sketch of
will be found elsewhere in this volume.
WARREN IDDINGS, son
of Richard Iddings, a Warren pioneer, was born
Mar. 4, 1817. In 1839 he began the study of medicine in
the office of Dr. Tracy Bronson, at Newton, Ohio.
The second and third years of his course were pursued in the
office of Coon & Seeley, at Warren. He
attended lectures at the Ohio Medical college, Cincinnati, and
graduated from that institution in 1844. Dr. Iddings
at once began the practice of medicine in Warren, and continued
until failing health required his retirement a few years later.
He engaged in general business until 1862, then removed to
Mercer county, Pennsylvania, to resume his profession. For
a period of sixteen years he had an extensive practice.
Dr. Iddings returned to Warren in 1878, since which
time he has been devoting himself especially to the treatment of
the eye and ear. He married, in 1848, Laura,
daughter of Hon. Thomas D. Webb, of Warren.
LOY, son of John and Anna
Loy, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1812. His parents
were of German descent. They removed, with the family, to
Ohio, and settled in Liberty township. He worked on a farm
and attended common school until he entered upon the study of
medicine in the office of Dr. Dellenbaugh, in
Georgetown, New York. He removed to Buffalo, and was there
during the cholera scourge in 1832, in active practice.
His health was broken down by overwork, requiring his return
home. After recuperating he opened an office in Liberty
township, and removed to Warren in 1845. In the meantime
he had attended a course of lectures at Cleveland Medical
college, and subsequently a course at the Eclectic Medical
institute at Cincinnati, from which a degree was received in
1850. Between 1848 and 1869 Dr. Loy was in
partnership with Dr. Nelson in the practice, but
suffered more or less from ill health. He was married in
1839 to Mary B. Oswald, daughter of Jonathan
Oswald, of Liberty township. Since the doctor's death
she has continued to reside in Warren.
JOHN R. WOODS, son of John
Woods, was born in Youngstown, in 1825. His early
life was spent on the farm and in the common schools. He
received his preliminary education at Allegheny college,
Pennsylvania, and read medicine in Warren in the office of his
brother, Daniel B. Woods. Mr. Woods attended
lectures, and graduated at the Cleveland Medical college in
1850, since which time he has been practicing in Warren, except
for a period of about two years spent in California. He
was in partnership with his brother, Daniel B., for a
score of years. Dr. Woods married Julia
H. Heaton, a daughter of James Heaton, of
Dr. J. R. NELSON has been
practicing in War ren since 1847. His father, Abram
Nelson, was one of the early settlers of Liberty township,
where the Doctor was born in 1813. The family is of Irish
descent. He studied medicine under Dr. Loy, in
Liberty, and attended lectures in Cleveland. He began
practicing in Garrettsville in 1844, and in 1847 came to Warren,
where he has since been located.
J. R. VanGORDER, a son of J.
L. VanGorder, an early settler of Warren, was born in 1825.
He received his education at the old academy in Warren, and then
read medicine in the office of Dr. Sylvanus Seeley.
after the death of the latter he completed his studies under
direction of Dr. Farrell. He attended
lectures at the University of Pennsylvania Medical college and
received a degree from that institution in 1849. Dr.
VanGorder has been in continuous practice in Warren since
1852. He has a family.
in Litchfield county, Connecticut, in 1822. In 1825 the
family removed to Portage county, Ohio. He worked on a
farm and taught school until a course of medical studies was
entered upon at Nelson in Portage county. He began
practicing in Ashtabula county in 1852, and was actively
employed there until 1861. Since that date he has been in
Warren. Dr. Bierce is a member of the Northeastern
Ohio Homeopathic society.
DR. MYERS would be an interesting
subject for a detailed biography, but the character of our work
and the limits of our space requires brevity. He was born
in Bavaria, Germany, in 1823. From the public schools in
his twelfth year he was placed in a gymnasium at Padua, Italy,
where a six years' course was pursued. A course of
philosophical study covering two years, followed at Vienna.
The time of medical preparation occupied five years—two years in
Bardua, two years in Vienna, and one year in hospital service.
At the completion of his long course of preparation, covering
thirteen years from the time he left the common school, Dr.
Myers received a diploma which gave him the privileges of
a full practitioner. He opened an office in Vienna in the
fall of 1847, but became involved in the revolution which
occurred during the following winter. That year is
characterized in history as the revolutionary epoch. The
insurgents were mostly educated young men, unwilling longer to
bear the yoke of despotism, but the time was not ripe, and the
revolution proved a failure, and the participants had to flee
for their lives. Dr. Myers, in company with
five young friends, left Vienna in disguise and under assumed
names. They traveled incognito through Germany to France,
and then took ship for America, having safely evaded danger of
arrest. Dr. Myers was informed at New York of the
prevalence of cholera in Cincinnati, and at once started for
that city. After practicing two years in Cincinnati he
removed to New Castle, Pennsylvania, and from there to Alliance
in 1856, thence to Cuba, Missouri. At the opening of the
war he volunteered, and was made surgeon
of a German battalion under General Sigel,
stationed at Cuba. After the battle of Wilson's Creek he
was mustered out of the service and came to Warren in the fall
of that year. He has since been in active practice here.
Dr. Myers married, in Cincinnati, Mary
Rapbould, who died in 1858, leaving two sons. For his
second wife he married Malissa Post, of Johnston
township, who has borne him one child.
DR. L. SPEAR was born in
Austintown in 1828. His father, Dr. Alexander Spear,
settled there in 1820. Mr. Spear read medicine
under Dr. B. W. Spear, in Salem, Ohio, and graduated from
the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical college in 1855. He began
practice in 1855, and came to Warren in 1861. He
accompanied the One Hundred and Seventy-first Ohio volunteer
infantry as surgeon to Camp Sandusky, but did not go to the
CYRUS METCALF is of English
descent. His father, John Metcalf, was a native of
Massachusetts, from which State he removed to Medina county, New
York, where the doctor was born July 7, 1822. In 1836 his
family removed to Licking county, Ohio. After spending
several years in attendance at Granville academy and teaching
school, he began the study of medicine at Newark, Ohio, and
subsequently attended lectures at Geneva Medical college, New
York, receiving a degree in 1846. He opened an office at
Bristolville that year, and soon had a satisfactory practice.
In 1866 he removed to Warren and is now in full practice.
DR. H. A. SHERWOOD
is one of
the younger physicians of the homeopathic school of practice.
He was born in Knox county, Ohio, in 1851. His preliminary
education was received at the public schools in Frederickstown,
Knox county. He commenced the study of medicine in
September, 1873, and the same year entered the Homeopathic
Hospital college of Cleveland, on a three years course, which
was completed, and the degree conferred in 1876. While in
college he was house physician at the Huron Street hospital, and
physician to the college dispensary. Soon after graduating
Dr. Sherwood opened an office at Warren. In
1880 he was appointed city physician and member of the board of
health. He is a member of the Homeopathic Medical society
of Eastern Ohio, and has served as president of that
DR. C. S. WARD is a son of
Columbus Ward, and was born in Ashtabula county, in 1854.
His family removed to Warren in 1865 at which time he entered
the Warren public schools, and graduated in 1871. He
commenced the study of medicine with Dr. H. McQuiston,
completing the course in the office of D. B. and J. R. Woods.
Mr. Ward attended lectures at the University of Michigan
Medical college, from which institution he received a degree in
1874. In 1875, he received an ad eundum degree from
Bellevue Hospital Medical college, New York city. He
served one year as surgeon in the Ninety-ninth Street Reception
hospital. Since 1876 Dr. Ward has been
practicing with Dr. D. B. Woods, in Warren.
END OF CHAPTER VII -