Survey, Organization and
Population - Origin of Name - Streams - Pike Roads - Railroads - Organic
and Official - Pioneers - Early - Industries - ATTICA VILLAGE - Organic
and Official - Business Interests - Churches - Cemeteries - Societies -
Review - CARROTHERS VILLAGE - CAROLINE VILLAGE - Schools - General
Statistics - Conclusion.
THIS township, including the
southern part of the "gore," was surveyed into quarter sections in 1820,
by Price J. Kellogg, and the lands offered for sale in 1821.
Vince formed a part of Thompson Township from 1820 to 1829, when it was
established a separate township and organized as such. The year of
its organization the population was confined to families of the officers
elected in 1829, and perhaps a few others named in the pioneer section
of this chapter. In 1840 the census places the number of
inhabitants at 1,222; in 1850, at 1,830; in 1860, at 2,013; in 1870, at
1,781, increased in 1880 to 2,231, and in 1885 to 2,600 (estimated).
In 1880 Attica Village claimed a population of 663, which number has
been added to considerably during the last five years. The name
Venice was suggested by Johnson Ford to memorialize his home i
Cayuga County, N. Y.
Honey Creek enters the county in fractional Section 19
and flowing in a tortuous course west by north, through the old
settlement of Caroline, leaves the township in Section 6. A few
small creeks are found both north and south of Honey Creek.
The Columbus and Sandusky pike road runs diagonally
through the township from Attica Station, a mile north of the old
village of Attica, through Caroline to Carrothers. The petition of
Ezra Gilbert, presented to the county board in November, 1828,
prayed for the establishment of a road beginning at the town line, two
and one-half miles west of Attica, and running south by east so as to
intersect the New Haven road, three and one-half miles east of Attica,
near the line of Huron County. The petition was granted, the line
was at once surveyed by David Risdon, and cut through or
underbrushed by Ezra Gilbert, Johnson Ford and Samuel Halsted,
within six days.
The Northwestern Ohio Railroad runs through the
southwestern sections, while the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad passes across
the extreme northeastern corners of fractional SEction 6 and Section 1.
The lands are fertile, and the face of the country just
sufficiently rolling to confer on it a beauty and utility which could
not belong to a level country.
and Official -
of Venice. - Half a century and eight years have elapsed
since the pioneer of American civilization looked into the wilderness of
Venice Township, and called it his home. To Cornelius Gilmore,
Jackson Ford, Samuel Halsted, the first road-makers, the first
farmers, the first actual workers in the township, the special honors
pertaining to pioneers are accorded. Although they first settled
on the head waters of Honey Creek a full decade after the adventurous
pioneers of Delaware County visited and settled on the Sandusky at Fort
Ball, and eight years after the Welches settled on lower Honey
Creek, the honors are still due; for then the beautiful district, now
called Venice, was a wilderness, unvisited by the pioneers of other
parts of the county and indeed unheard of by them. In the
following pages the writer has made an effort unheard of by them.
In the following pages the writer has made an effort to group all the
pioneers together, and speak of each so far as authentic accounts
John Armatage settled here in 1829, coming that
year from Maryland, where he was born in 1806. . . . John Barrick
settled in Seneca County in 1834. . . . Joel Billings settled
here in 1829. . . . Lewis Bollinger (deceased), born in Germany
in 1825, came from Stark County, Ohio, to this county in 1844, settling
in this township.
Jeremiah Carpenter and Charles D. and
Emeline (Michener) Carpenter - former born in 1823, died in 1868,
latter born in 1830, died in 1873, parents of William A. Carpenter
- were early settlers .... Samuel and Elizabeth (Wiloughby)
Carson, natives of Pennsylvania, father of J. W. Carson, came
to this county in 1835, and here died at advanced ages .... Robert
Carson, grandfather of J. W. Carson, came to the county at an
early date and here died in 1836. His wife died same year . . . .
H. M. Chandler came from Connecticut in 1838 . . . . Matthew
J. Clark, who died Jan. 4, 1882, in his fifty-sixth year, was an old
settler of Venice Township. He moved to Tiffin many years ago . .
. . Jacob Cook settled here in 1829 . . . . H. B. Courtwright,
in 1832 . . . . James Madison Crabbs, father of Cyrus N.
Crabbs, came here at an early date . . . . Samuel Croxton
settled here in 1829.
Stephen and Magdalena Dick came from Alsace,
Germany (then France), to this country in 1830; lived twenty-two years
in this and seventeen in Bloom Township, finally locating in Thompson
Township in 1872. Stephen Dick died in 1876; his widow
resides near Frank's Corners.
Jacob Ebersole, born in Pennsylvania in 1807,
has resided here since 1834 . . . . Gov. Edwards settled here in
Elisha Fair settled here in December, 1828 . . .
. Philip and Christina (Kerner) Falter, natives of Germany, came
thence to Seneca County, in 1833; former died in 1842. J. B.
Falter, their son, also a native of Germany, born in 1826, lies in
Venice Township . . . . Philip Falter, born on mid-ocean in 1823
(his parents being on their way from Germany to the United States, and
who died in Venice Township), married Miss Elizabeth Houck, and
they then came to Venice Township, where they both died, in 1872 . . . .
Johnson Ford, born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., June 9, 1796,
came to Seneca County in 1828, from Cayuga County, N. Y., and,
purchasing 160 acres of land, where Attica Village now stands, entered
on pioneer work in the wilderness. His neighbor, Cornelius
Gilmore, settled in the township the year before, and a few others
came in 1829. Mr. Ford opened the first farm in Venice
Township, clearing, plowing, and sowing the seed himself. His
wife, Esther, died Mar. 19, 1829, and her remains had to be
carried to the Scipio Cemetery. Shortly after he revisited New
York State, and there married a second time; returning with his bride to
the wilderness. In 1833 or 1834 he was appointed superintendent of
the Union Sunday School, succeeding John Martain, and this
position he held until 1858 or 1859; when the Presbyterian Church was
organized in October, 1833, he was ordained an elder. He and
Ezra Gilbert suggested the name Attica for the present village in
1829, and the same year he gave the name of Venice to the township.
For over half a century he has made the township his home and shared in
every effort to develop it . . . . J. J. Friedley and his father,
Ludwick Friedley, a Pennsylvanian, settled here in 1838, latter
dying in 1871. Barbara (Link), wife of J. J. Friedley,
born in Germany, came when two years old with her parents, who were
among the first settlers of Seneca County. It is stated on other
authority that this family came in 1833.
Cornelius Gilmore was the first settler and
first blacksmith in Venice Township, having settled here in June, 1827,
where O. J. McPherson's house now stands, on the south bank of
Honey Creek. About 1832, Mr. Gilmore removed to Caroline
postoffice, when a new office was established at Attica . . . . The
first road in the township, form a point two and a half miles west of
Attica to the Huron County line, was cut through in November, 1828, by
Ezra Gilbert, Johnson Ford and Samuel Halsted, and a year
later Ezra Gilbert erected his cabin where the Ford & Stranler
hardware store of Attica's later days stands, Ezra Gilbert
settled here in April, 1829, and was the first postmaster, and first
settler on the site of Attica.
James Hanna, born in Pennsylvania in 1804, came
to Venice Township in 1834 . . . . Samuel Harper here in August,
1828 . . . . The Hamiltons were here in 1845 . . . . Samuel
Harper, a soldier of the Revolution, an Irishman, was buried in
Sycamore Township in 1821 . . . . Samuel Hawk was here in 1835 .
. . . George Heabler, Sr., a native of Pennsylvania, located in
Venice Township in 1835, bringing his son George, of Attica and
Tiffin . . . . George Herr came from Germany in 1852 . . . .
John Hillis, a native of Ireland, came direct from his native land
to Seneca County, settling in Venice Township in 1846, dying in 1875 . .
. . John Holmes, born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1807, came
here in an early day, and now resides with his son, David . . . .
Samuel and Charles Hoyt settled here in 1854. Samuel
died in 1872. Charles resides in Wyandot County . . . .
J. W. Huffman, born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1837, was brought
by his parents, Jacob and Catharine (Weaver) Huffman, to Venice
Township in 1839; Jacob Huffman died in 1855 . . . . Michael
Hull, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1807, came to this county in
1834, settling on 560 acres of land on Section 7 of Venice Township,
where he still resides . . . . Michael and Barbara (Free) Hull,
parents of George F. Hull, were early settlers of this township,
were Michael Hull now resides.
Thomas Kemp, born in Pennsylvania in 1813, came
with his parents, David and Sarah (Ward) Kemp, to Venice Township
in an early day . . . . David J. Kelly was here in 1849.
John C. and Christianna (Eichenhofer) Lebold
parents of Jacob F. Lebold, all natives of Germany, came from
Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1842, to Section 16, this township, where
John C. still resides . . . . Avery Leonard born in
Pennsylvania in 1798, came here with his family in 1834 . . . . John
Lepard was here in 1831 . . . . Jacob and Maryann (Gerling) Link,
natives of Germany, came to this county in 1838, the former dying in
1841. Their son, J. W. Link, born on the ocean, when his
parents were on their way to America, resides in Venice Township . . . .
John Lozier came in 1853.
J. McCarty and Daniel McCarty, natives of
Ireland, settled here about 1832 or 1834 . . . . John and Elizabeth
(Hannah) McClelland, natives of Pennsylvania, settled here in 1836 .
. . . James McKibben came here in June, 1830. . . . James B.
McKibben, a Pennsylvanian, was here in 1832 . . . . Willialm
McPherson settled in Venice Township in November, 1828. He was
born in Scotland in 1793 . . . . Henry and Rebecca (Free) Meyers,
former a native of Switzerland, born in 1808, were early pioneers of the
county. Mr. Meyers came in 1835, a comparatively poor young
man, and at his death in 1884 he owned over 2,000 acres of land . . . .
Nathan Merriman settled in Venice in 1829 . . . . The Metcalf
family settled here previous to 1836 . . . . John M. Miller,
a native of Germany, father of Paul Miller, immigrated to America
in 1832; resided about four years in Medina County, Ohio, and then
settled permanently in this county. He died in 1884 . . . .
Maurice and Hannah (Davis) Moore - former a native of New Jersey,
born in 1797; latter a native of Wales, born in 1800 came to the county
in 1834, settling in Venice Township. They died in 1883 . . . .
Andrew Moore settled here in 1830; died in 1846. His widow
died in 1880 . . . . Philip Muck settled in Venice in 1829 . . .
. Jacob and Fanny (Werder) Myers (or Meyers), natives of
Switzerland, came to Ohio in 1829 and to this county in 1831.
Their son, Henry F. Myers, also a native of Switzerland, born in
1822, came with them and is a farmer here . . . . Henry Meyers, "Tailor
Meyers," as he was known to all, was born in village of Oberendengen.
Switzerland, Apr. 26, 1807; died at Attica in July, 1884. In 1835
he brought the first $5 in gold ever seen in Tiffin, and also purchased
the first mowing machine and the first grain drill in Venice Township.
Five years after he came to Seneca County, on July 11, 1840, he was
married. After working six years for one man at his trade in
Philadelphia, he left there on the 10th of July, 1835, and came by canal
to Sandusky, Ohio, arriving on the 29th of the same month, and walked to
Attica on the old turnpike, where he had previously purchased wild land.
For six years after his arrival in Seneca County he worked at his trade
in Tiffin, after which he worked for five years in the village of
Attica, using his money thus earned for the improvement of his land.
Jacob Newkirk settled in Venice in 1831 . . . .
Leonard and Mary (Hachter) Noble, natives of Germany, former born
in 1822, latter in 1829, came the year they were married (1852) to
Venice Township, and some time after moved to Reed Township, where
Mr. Noble died in 1871.
Mrs. Catherine Olds died at the residence of her
son, Wallace Olds, three and one-half miles west of Attica, July
18, 1878, aged seventy one years, five months and thirteen days.
Mrs. Olds was one of the old pioneers of Seneca County, having
resided here forty-two years.
William Pollinger, a Pennsylvanian came in 1855.
Jeremiah Rex (vide Chapter V) . . . .
S. H. Ringle, an Ohioan, was here in 1832 . . . . Stephen Rogers,
a native of England, came to America in 1818, and to this county in
1837. John Rogers, a pioneer farmer of the county, born in
France in 1819, is a son of his . . . . David Roop settled here
in 1829 . . . . Aaron Rush, an old settler of Venice Township,
died in 1837.
Jacob Schaaf, who came from Germany in 1829, is
an old settler here . . . . Sebastian Senn, a native of
Switzerland, born in 1828, came in 1838 with his father, who settled on
a farm in this county . . . . Samuel Shade, Sr., born in 1800,
purchased, in 1834, 300 acres of timber land in Venice Township; he came
from Columbiana County, Ohio; died at Tiffin in 1872. Samuel
Shade, his son, resides in Eden Township . . . . J. L. Shirey
came from Pennsylvania in 1844 . . . . Christian Shuly, a native
of Pennsylvania came in 1856 . . . . Ludwig Shoup came from
Germany in 1854 . . . . George Sillman, father of Mrs. Michael
Kirchner, of Tiffin, came from Germany and settled in Venice
township about 1833. . . . Martin Smeltz, a native of Germany,
was among the early settlers of this county . . . . John and Mary
(Weaver) Smith, natives of Pennsylvania, parents of Martin Smith,
of Venice Township, came to the county in 1838, and settled in this
township, where John Smith died in 1882. . . . Jacob and
Catharine (Myers) Smith, natives of Switzerland, parents of Mrs.
Norman Benham, of Scipio Township, came to America in 1827, and in
course of time were early settlers of Venice Township . . . .
Jeremiah Smith born in Bedford County, Penn., Feb. 18, 1818, came to
Seneca County in 1834, and died here Jan. 5, 1885 . . . . Eli Snow,
Cold Creek (see story of the Indian "Pumpkin"), . . . . Henry
Speaker, Jr., settled here in 1829, and erected the first saw-mill
in 1831 . . . . Samuel and Hannah (Harper) Speaker, parents of
Samuel Speaker, came in 1840; Samuel die din 1868 . . . .
Huckins Spencer, born in Maine, father of I. A. Spencer, of
Venice Township, settled in this county in 1834 . . . . Frederick
Steigmeyer, a native of Switzerland, came from Pennsylvania to
Seneca County in 1836 . . . . John Steigmeyer, father of Mrs.
John B. Blum, was a native of Switzerland, born in 1811; he settled,
in 1835, two miles west of Attica, where he still resides . . . .
Martin and Elizabeth (Lang) Steinmetz, parents of Mrs. J. B.
Falter, natives of Alsace, came to Seneca County about 1833 . . . .
M. C. Steinmetz, born in France in 1829, came with his parents,
Martin and Elizabeth (Baltz) Steinmetz, from France to America
about 1831, and to Venice Township about 1837 . . . . James D.
Stevenson, a native of Vermont, settled here in 1838, died in
Michigan in 1865 . . . . John A. Stephenson, father of Prof
William H. Stephenson, of Attica, and a native of Pennsyvania,
settled in Venice Township in 1831. . . . E. P. Sutton, known as
"Pomeroy" Sutton, an old resident of Attica, died Dec. 27,
1879, at New Washington . . . . Lester Sutton came
from New York State in 1852.
John Tompkins, a native of New York, came in 1835 .
. . . Peter Trumpler, a native of Bavaria, was among the early
settlers of the township . . . . John Trumpler was here in
Samuel Weaver, father of E. Weaver, of
Attica, was born in Maryland in 1822, and came among the early settlers
to this county; he died in 1863 . . . . Martin S. Weaver, born in
Pennsylvania in 1811, came here in 1833 . . . . Thomas West
settled in Venice in October, 1828 . . . . James Willoughby, who
owned the northwest quarter of Section 34 in 1829, died in 1835 . . . .Jacob
Wise, a Pennsylvanian, settled here in 1828 . . . . Samuel Wise,
a native, was here in 1837. . . . John and Samuel Woolet settled
here in 1829 . . . . Christian and Hannah (Lehman) Worm came into
the county from Germany in 1833.
Industries - Henry Speaker's saw-mill was erected
between Caroline and Attica in 1831. The power was supplied by
oxen. The first grist mill and carding mill was established in
1832. This was simply a conversion of Speaker's old
saw-mill. The Metcalf Steam Saw-Mill was erected in 1836 by
Ebenezer and George Metcalf, close to the spot on which the
Heabler Mill was afterward built. The fire of March, 1840,
destroying this building. The Kinnaman Steam Saw & Grist
Mills were erected at Caroline by Peter Kennaman, and carried on
until destroyed by fire. In 1857 Ephraim Groves' son was
scalded to this, owing to the explosion of the boiler in this concern.
The Steigmeyer Steam Saw-Mill was erected near the site of the
Metcalf Mills, and a grist-mill added subsequently. This
industry is now carried on by the Heablers.
The conspiracy of 1857 to defraud the people
reached its zenith at Attica. Schuyler, Higley and
Chandler were among the leaders of those fraudulent dealers.
The counterfeiters were also busy at this time and had a den in this
ORGANIC AND OFFICIAL.
The first sermon in
Venice Township was delivered by the Presbyterian preacher of Melmore
about 1830, and a Union Sabbath-school was organized early in 1833, by
Agent Patty, of which Martain was chosen superintendent.
The Presbyterian Society
was organized in October, 1833, with thirteen members, by E. Conger
and E. Judson, of Huron Presbytery. John Holmes and
Johnson Ford were the first elders.
Attica Baptist Society
was organized in 1841, with nine members. Not however, until Apr.
2, 1842, was the first preacher appointed in the person of Rev. S. M.
Mack. In 1852 the Baptist Church was erected.
of Attica was organized July 17, 1841, with the following
members: Nathan Childs, Adam Philo, Russel Windruson, Leonard Gipson,
Thomas Rundell, Eliza Childs, Electa Philo, Hannah Windruson, Huda
Gipson and Nancy Rundell, all of whom have gone to join the
church above. The pastors of the church have been A. Abbott, E.
Goodnow, V. R. Wall, Elder L. Mack, F. Freeman, A. C. Lockhart, E. W.
Clark, J. Hawker, Reason Lockhart, Robert Lockhart, J. L. Wiley, Frank
Lyon, A. Buell, T. Dyall, and E. W. Lyon. The
secretaries of the society were R. H. Blodgett, H. P. Philo. L.
L. Gipson and John Riddle. The last named has served
twenty years. The membership is fifty-nine, and the value of
church property is $3,000.
United Brethren Society
was organized in 1855 by Rev. M. Bulger, with the following
named members: William Seed, Henry Hershiser and wife, Mr.
Miller and Mrs. Huddlestone. The pastors of the church,
since its organization, are named as follows: Revs. M. Bulger,
S. Jacoby, S. Altman, - Ogden W. W. McCurdy, Klingle, O. H.
Ramsey, C. L. Bevington and W. A. Keesy, the present
incumbent. The society is building a new brick church on the lot
where the old church stands on Eden Street.
at Attica was organized Dec. 29, 1860. Apr. 26, 1860, a number
of citizens of Attica and vicinity, met to consider the means for
buildings a Universalist Church, when a vote in favor of the enterprise
was carried. William Rininger, Mark E. Crow, and Samuel
Crobaugh were elected trustees; John Childs, secretary.
Individual subscriptions were ordered to be divided into shares of $5
each, and each share was entitled to a vote. Samuel Crobaugh
presented his interest, valued at $60, to the church May 2, 1861.
Among the original members, besides those named above, were Parthena
Crow, Miranda Crow, Maria Crow, Mary Metcalf, Naomi Pruden, Harrison
Hathaway, Lodency and Louisa Childs. The pastors have been
Rev. E. R. Wood, six months; H. R. Nye, twenty-four months;
J. W. Henley, eighteen months; J. F. Rice, six months;
N. A. Saxton, six months; A. J. Seitz, twenty-four months;
G. R. Brown, eighteen months, and J. F. Rice, the present
pastor, twelve years. The secretaries of the society have been
H. Hathaway, J. H. Boyle, Maria and Allie Boyle,
Martha Silcox, Anna Meyers, Arvilla Green, J. N. Lee, W. T. Meyers,
F. H. Steigmeyer, Nettie Couch, and L. J. Todd. The house of
worship was erected in 1860. The membership is ninety.
of Venice organized in 1835.
Methodist Protestant Church
was organized at Attica early in 1866. The names of original
members are William McPherson and wife, Maurice Moore and
wife, Mrs. George Ringle, Mrs. David Ringle, Mary
Bennet, Mrs. Lester Sutton, Mrs. Elizabeth Day, and Mrs. Vahnluah
Williams. The names of pastors are given as follows:
Mary Ann Steinbaugh, H. J. Bradford, James Williams, W. S. Cairns. J. H.
Gray, L. Boman. The present pastor is D. C. Coburn.
The number of members is placed at 105, and the value of property at
Attica Mission of the
Methodist Church, at Reed, was reorganized in 1872, and James
Williams, Adolph Sallieres and Hiram Boyd were elected
trustees Nov. 30, 1872.
The English Lutherans
organized in 1838, and in 1840-41, erected the Union Church,
afterward controlled by the United Brethren. This church was sold
for debt, purchased by Johnson Ford and used as a Union Church
*Evangelical Lutheran Congregation,
originally consisted of German Lutheran and German Reformed members who
settled here between 1830 and 1840. Rev. Conrad, Lutheran
minister than residing at Tiffin, held the first services in 1835-37 in
private houses. In 1839 Rev. Krause also of Tiffin
(Lutheran) was called and preached every four weeks for about six years.
In 1842 during his stay here the first church was built, a log structure
to the east of Caroline. In 1843 a complete organization was
effected and a constitution adopted, and the church was known as the
German Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Congregation. Rev.
Krause's successor was Rev. Robert Graetz (now of St. Mary's,
Ohio), 1845-55. In December, 1855, Rev. w. Schmogrow
(deceased), then of New Washington, was called. In the ppring of
1857 dissatisfaction having arisen on the part of the Reformed on
account of Lutheran practice at the Lord's Supper, a separation took
place, both parties organizing separately. The Lutheran portion
organized in teh fall of the same year in accordance with the laws of
the State as the "'German Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Congregation of
Caroline, Ohio," and adopted its own constitution. Its officers
then were Conrad Lebold and Valentine Roehring, elders;
MArtin Smeltz and Jeremiah Smith, deacons; John Spriger, Daniel
Schaf and Jacob Faber, trustees. The constitution is
still the constitution of the congregatino. The pastors following
Rev. Schmogrow were Rev. Paul Mueller (now at Wichita, Kas.);
Rev. Carl Schmidt (now at Hubbard, Ohio); Rev. Buechenstein,
Rev. W. Braunwarth, Rev. A. C. Ulrich (now at Norwalk, Ohio);
Rev. Kramer (now at Castle Garden, New York); Rev. J. Krieger
(now at Arlington, Ohio); from May, 1883, to May, 1884, Rev. H. G.
Sulter (now at Bellevue, Ohio), and since June, 1884, Rev. Carl
Ackermann In 1870 the present church was built at a cost of
perhaps $2,500. This spring a new parsonage was secured, costing
$1,200. The German language was always the medium used i preaching
until Rev. Sulter was called, since which time German and English
have been used alternately. At present the congregation numbers
about eighty communicant members. Mr. Leonard Sachs is the
present secretary of the congregation.
English Reformed Church, at Carrothers,
was founded some years ago. This church at Caroline claims a
membership of 100 and a large church building. The Sunday-school
of the church at Carrothers was organized in April, 1885, with the
following named officers: superintendent, G. S. McKee; assistant
superintendent, P. H. Buchman; secretary, Ida McClelland;
treasurer, Katie Groetize.
SS Peter and Paul Church, of Attica,
is modern in organization, but old in its membership. Previous to
the year 1882, the few Catholics living in and around Attica, having no
house of worship of their own, attended the nearest Catholic Church for
religous services. At a social meeting in the spring of 1882 the
first steps toward the organization of the S. S. Peter and Paul
congregation were taken. The question of building a Catholic
Church at Attica was then eagerly discussed by John and Frederick
Steigmeyer and Sebastian Senn, three of the oldest and most
respected settlers of Attica: J. B. Bum, F. X. Snyder and
Krupp Bros. The result was a subscription of $1,000 for buying
a suitable place for the intended church. Soon the work commenced
and Oct. 29, 1882, the church was dedicated to divine service.
July 17, 1882, Rev. A. Huthmacher was appointed first pastor of
the newly organized congregation but no religious service was held
before Oct. 29, 1882, the day of dedication. The value of the
property is placed at $4,000.
The first death in the
township was that of Esther, wife of Jonathan Ford, who
died Mar. 19, 1829. She was buried in the Scipio Cemetery.
Samuel Halsted's child, who died shortly after, was interred in a
field near the pike road, while Philip Muck's child was interred
on the "Ford Farm," where Johnson Ford donated and cleared
a small cemetery.
Association was organized Aug. 27, 1868, with Dr. J. C. Meyers, H. F.
Myers, George W. Meyers, J. D. Meyers, D. Zimmerman, David Smith, D. C.
Meyers, Abram Meyers and H. A. Meyers.