CLINTON TOWNSHIP & TIFFIN CITY
Official History -
To describe the condition of the records of this old township would be
a task similar to that of describing something struck by a cyclone, of
which teh slightest traces alone remain. There is nothing left of
the old records; a few of the men who had them in charge reside here
today, but their memories cannot take the place of those ordinary
looking old books of the past, and thus the loss of a few modest, humble
old volumes is irreparable.* The township records, which came into
possession of Mr. Dore, the present clerk, date back only to
1878, and from them the following list of township officers elected
annually is taken:
1878 - Edward Swander, Henry L. Best and Jacob Young, trustees; William
O. Dildine, clerk; Albert Beilharz, treasurer; Martin Woodside,
assessor; Anthony h. Arnold and John Knott, constables; Daniel Dildine,
Jesse H. Leidy, justices of the peace.
1879 - Henry L. Best, Jacob Young and Peter Miller, trustees; William O.
Dildine, clerk; Albert Beilharz, treasurer; Martin Woodside, assessor;
Virgil D. Lamberson, and John Knott, constables; Daniel Dildine, P. H.
Jayne, justices of the peace.
1880 - William Kline, Peter Miller and Henry L. Best, trustees; William
O. Dildine, clerk; Sylvester J. Kintz, treasurer; John c. Leidy,
assessor; Virgil D. Lamberson and John Knott, constables; Daniel Dildine,
P. H. Jayne, justices of the peace.
1881 - William Kline, Peter Miller and Henry L. Best, trustees; Hiram C.
Keppel, clerk; Sylvester J. Kintz, treasurer; Ezra Bowser, assessor;
Anthony H. Arnold and Virgil D. Lamberson, constables; Daniel Dildine
and P. H. Jayne, justices of the peace.
1882 - William Kline, Peter Miller and Samuel Horn, trustees; H. C.
Keppel, clerk; A. Beilharz, treasurer; James M. Bowser, assessor; Porter
H. Jayne and Daniel Dildine, justices of the peace; A. H. Arnold and V.
D. Lamberson, constables.
1883 - Jeremiah Rex, John C. Lydey and Peter Miller, trustees; Louis
Waner, clerk; Albert Beilharz, treasurer; Jaems M. Brown, assessor; John
Silvers and A. Brickford, constables; Porter H. Jayne and Daniel Dildine,
justices of the peace.
184 - Jeremiah Rex, John C. Lydey and Peter Miller, trustees; William H.
Dore, clerk; Albert Beilharz, treasurer; James Bowser, assessor; John
Gaveldinger and John Silvers, constables; Porter H.Jayne and Daniel
Dildine, justices of the peace.
The elections of 1885 for township officers were
carried out on party principles. The highest number of votes
polled inthe township was 162, and the highest number in the township
and city was 1,077, so that the vote of the township is still as small
as it was in pioneer days.
VILLAGES OF THE TOWNSHIP.
or Morris Postoffice, five miles east of Tiffin,
is a station on the Northwestern Ohio Railraod; B. J. Bright is
railroad agent, grocer and postmaster; James Harshman,
blacksmith, and C. C. Crosby, shoe-maker. Mr. Bright
was re-appointed to charge of the postoffice in September, 1885.
The present name of the village was given in honor of J. S. Morris,
superintendent of the Northwestern Ohio Railroad and owner of the
Shawhan House, Tiffin. The only society organized there up to
January, 1885, is the Literary and Debating Club, of which the following
named are the officers: President, M. V. Kaga; vice
president, T. J. Collins; treasurer, H. R. Miley;
secretary, B. W. Knepple.
Viona, on the east half of the
northeast quarter of Section 35, was surveyed for John H. Foulk
in October, 1874. It is the center of the rich agricultural
district, and, like all such towns, is one of great expectations.
Here also a Literary and Debating Club has been organized, with the
following named officers: President, N. R. Heaton; vice
president, W. F. Wenner; secretary, B. W. Knepple;
treasurer, H. R. Miley; historian, N. W. Miller.
The old villages of Oakley, Fort Ball and Pan Yan
are grouped in the history of Tiffin.
(will be added upon request)