Before Organization - The Pioneer Settlement - The First Surveys - Scioto County Pioneer Life - Other Names of Pioneers, 1796 to 1806 - The Settlement of the French Grant ...............  92 - 110


     Previous to 1803, the history of Scioto County belonged to that of the Northwest Territory and to the counties of Washington and Adams.  The Scioto River was the dividing line between Washington and Adams counties.  The mouth of the Scioto was a favorite rendezvous for the Indians who captured many boats passing down the Ohio, their occupants becoming victims to their cruelty.  The surface is generally hilly, and the valley of Scioto rich and beautiful beyond dispute.  The Scioto River led to one of the principal settlements of the Indians, in what is now Ross County, and they reached the Ohio by canoes down the river.
     The first white man who camped upon the soil of Scioto County was undoubtedly George Croghan, an Indian agent.  Possibly some French trappers and traders may have been here before that, for they were in the country fully twenty years previous to the date of Croghan's arrival.  George Croghan and four companions, on their way to St. Vincent (Vincennes, Ind.), arrived at the mouth of the Scioto, May 23, 1765, and remained encamped near its mouth until May 28, 1765, some five days.  They then left for their destination.  They expected to meet Indians to treat with.  On their way down the Ohio, below Cincinnati, on June 8, 1865, Croghan and his little band were captured by hostile Indians, but were taken to Port St. Vincent, then in possession of the French.  Croghan and his band were English.  He stated his mission, and after being kept awhile as prisoners, were released and allowed to return.  The Indian wars, after that of the Revolution caused the country through all this section to become thoroughly explored, and the beautiful valley of the Scioto once seen was not soon forgotten.  But the war of the Revolution was scarcely closed ere were found adventurous spirits, who were determined to prospect and if possible make their home in the valley, which brings us to the first settlement on the soil of Scioto County.


     While there was a French trading post located on the soil of Scioto County as early as 1740, and which was located something over a mile below the old mouth of the Scioto River, the first attempt at permanent settlement was in 1785.  From the American Pioneer the following article was taken, having been contributed by George Corwin, of Portsmouth.  It reads:

     "In April, 1785, four families from the Redstone settlement in Pennsylvania descended the Ohio to the month of the Scioto River, and there moored their boat under the high bank just below where Portsmouth now stands.  They commenced clearing the ground to plant seeds for a crop to support their families, hoping that the red men of the forest would suffer them to remain and improve the soil.
     "Soon after they landed, the four men, heads of the families, started up the Scioto to see the paradise of the West, of which they had heard from white men who had been captured by the Indians, and traversed it while in captivity.  Leaving their little colony of four women and their children to the protection of an over-ruling providence, they wandered over the beautiful bottoms of the Scioto as far up as the prairies above, and opposite to where Piketon by name, pleased with the country, cut the initials of his name on the beech tree pear the river, and upon the margin of a little stream that flowed into the Scioto.  These letters afterward being found, gave the name of 'Pee Pee' to the creek, and then to the prairies through which the creek flowed.  And from this also came the name of Pee Pee Township in Pike township.


     "Encamping near the site of Piketon they were surprised by the Indians, two of them killed as they lay by the fire, while the other two managed to escape over the hills, reaching the Ohio River at the mouth of the Little Scioto just as some white men going down the river in a pirogue were passing.  Their petition for help was heard and answered at last by the boat coming to the shore and taking them on board.  Then passing down to their claim they hastily loaded in their effects, amid the heartrending lamentations of those who had lost their husbands.  No time was lost, as their safety depended upon instant flight, and getting their movables, they put off to Limestone, now Maysville, as a place of greater safety, and the owners of the pirogue there left them and pursued their own way to Port Vincent, their destination.
     Mr. Corwin gives as his authority for the above, "One who came down in the pirogue."








     The space at our disposal will not admit with to give biographical sketches of all the pioneers of early days as much as they are deserving and to us a pleasure in doing so, and the reader must be contented to read over the names of many others who left the imprint of their strong and rugged nature upon the future destiny and material progress of Scioto County.  This list is a portion of the names of the old settlers who were residents of the county within its first decade:

Adams, Francis
Andrews, A. A.
Armstrong, Joseph

Bacon, James
Bacus, Christian
Bacus, Peter
Bacus, John
Ballenger, Asa
Barkalow, Johnson
Barnett, Henry
Barnes, Jno.
Barnes, Peter
Bartlett, Edward
Barton, Kimber
Beasly, John
Belt, Levi
Bevins, Thomas
Bowers, Geo.
Boynton, Asa
Brady, William
Brown, John
Buck, Massie
Buck, Thomas
Buckles, Robert
Burens, R. P. Geo.
Burt, Benjamin F.
Byers, Wm.

Campbell, Wm.
Canaday, Peter
Carey, John
Carroll, John B.
Carroll, John B., Sr.
Carteran, Francis
Chambers, Aaron
Chandler, Ellis
Chapman, James
Charpentier, Antoine Louis
Church, Joel
Clark, John
Clark, James
Clark, Samuel
Clingman, George W.
Clingman, Jacob
Clingman, John
Cloppler, Nicholas
Clough, John
Coberly, Wm.
Cockerel, Jesse
Collins, Andrew
Collins, Thomas
Collins, Wm.
Corn, William
Crawford, Samuel L.
Crull, Samuel
Curran, Alexander
Curran, Joseph
Curran, Mathew
Cutler, Jonathan
Cutler, Pilny

Darby, Sanders
Darlington, Elisha
Davidson, John
Davis, Alvan
Davisson, Amaziah
Davisson, Nathaniel
Davisson, John
Deavers, James
Deavers, Jno.
Deavers, Wm.
Deed, George
Dew, James
Dick, James
Digest, Solomon
Dillon, Edward
Dollenhide, Allen
Dollenhide, Jesse
Dollenhide, Wm.
Drury, Lawson
Dunn, John
Dunn, Wm.
Dupont, Marion
Dyer, Phillip
Dysart, Joseph
Dysart, Thomas

Edwards, John
Elsworth, Jacob
Emmons, Wm.
Engle, Christopher

Feurt, Benjamin
Feurt, Francis
Feurt, Gabriel
Fitzer, John
Fletcher, James
Fount, Benjamin
Furee, John
Fuzel, Evans

Gallant, John
Gardner, John
Gilkison, James & Jno. C.
Ginat, Jno. B.
Glaze, Airhart
Goodwin, Daniel
Graham, John
Graves, John
Graves, Lewis
Greer, Robert
Groninger, Abraham
Groninger, Jacob
Groninger, Jno.
Groninger, Leonard, b. 1804
Guthery, Thomas
Hall, Eskridge
Hamilton, Benjamin
Hamilton, John
Hammett, Geo.
Harmon, Middleson
Harris, Wm.
Henry, Samuel
Hepler, Jacob
Hitchcock, Caleb
Hitchcock, Jesse
Holland, Francis
Hunt, Samuel
Hunter, Archibald
Hutchins, Caleb

Jackson, Wm.
Johnson, John
Johnson, Warren
Jones, Caleb
Jones, Wm.

Keiser, Andrew
Kells, John
Kerr, John
Kikendall, Henry
Kelly, John
Kelly, Joseph
Kelly, Luke
Laforgy, John
Lee, Charles
Lionberger, Peter
Liston, Perry
Logan, John, Sr.
Lowry, Thomas

Loyd, Johnston

McCartney, Daniel
McCauley, James
McConnell, John
McConnell, Robert
McDougal, Daniel
McDougal, Daniel, Jr.
McDougal, George
McDougal, Richard
McGlocklin, James
McKinney, David
McKinney, David, Jr.
McKinney, David
McQuick, Archibald

Malone or Mahone, Sam'l
Maquet, Anthony
Marett, Hezekiah
Martin, Turner M.
Maston, Chas. T.
Meigs, J.
Merk, James
Monroe, Daniel
Montgomery, Wm.
Moore, Allen
Moore, David
Moore, John
Moore, Peter
Moore, Phillip
Morgan, Thomas
Morgan, Thos.
Mulholland, Chas.
Musgrove, Elijah
Mustard, Enos
Mustard, Joseph

Nelson, Jonathan R.
Nicholas, Jacob
Nichols, Thomas
Noel, Absalom
Noel, Daniel
Noel, Isaac
Noel, Jacob P.
Noel, John, Jr.
Noel, John, Sr.
Noel, Nicholas
Noel, Phillip

Offnere, Jacob C.
Orm, John
Orm, Nathan
Osborn, Ezra

Pangborn, Thaddeus
Patton, Jeremiah
Peck, Wm. H.
Plowman, Michael
Pollock, John & Joseph
Poweres, Wm.
Price, Wm.

Rankin, Hugh
Reardon, James
Reardon, John
Reardon, Thomas
Rector, Frederic
Reed, Samuel
Richards, Thomas
Richart, Anderson C.
Ridenour, Frederic
Rinely, Henry
Robey, Wm.
Rooke, Jno.
Rooke, John
Roup, David

Russell, Wm.

Salladay, David
Salladay, George
Salladay, Samuel
Scott, Thomas
Seabring, Thomas
Shackford, Josiah
Shealy, Henry
Shelpman, Spicer
Shelpman, Wm.
Shoemaker, Jacob
Shope, John
Shope, Stephen
Simmons, Stephen
Simpson, JOhn
Smith, Dennis
Smith, John
Smith, Isaac
Smith, Robert
Smith, Stephen
Stewart, Paul
Stockham, Aaron
Stockham, Wm.
Stover, John
Stroud, Wm.
Sumner, Lewis
Swarr, Samuel
Swenney, Thomas Wm.
Swords, Wm.

Talbott, Wm.
Taylor, John
Terry, Daniel
Thomas, Arnold
Thompson, James
Thompson, Reese
Thorpe, Wm. D.
Travis, Ezra
Travis, Daniel
Turner, George
Turner, Jno. R.

Utt, Jacob

Van Armond, Benjamin
Vastine, John
Vincent, Jerry

Waber, Jacob
Way, Thomas
Wedding, James H.
White, Elisha
White, Matthew
White, John
White, Tapley
White, Thayer D.
Wilcoxson, Geo. W.
Wilcoxson, Thomas
Wilcoxson, Walter
Williams, Septha
Williams, Thomas
Williamson, Joseph
Wilson, Hiram
Winkler, Charles
Wolsey, Joseph
Woods, Jno.
Worley, John
Wright, Edward
Wright, John, Sr.
Wright, Matthew
Wright, William
Wycoff, Mary

Yingling, Peter


     Among the first settlers of the upper part of Scioto County, lying on the Ohio River, was a colony of French, numbering nearly a hundred families and adult individuals without families, who immigrated from France in 1790.  On arriving in this country and touching at Philadelphia and Baltimore, they came up the Potomac River to Alexandria and there disembarked, crossed the mountains to the Ohio River and settled at Gallipolis.  Many of these emigrants had bought land of the agents of the Scioto Company.  This company was a failure and a fraud, and falling to get the land from the company, tried to purchase of the Ohio Company a portion of the tract they had purchased from Congress.  The Ohio Company failing to pay for all their lands, sold to the Scioto Company such amount of land as they could pay for, at the same rate and payment they had purchased of Congress.  The Ohio Company secured 1,500,000 acres of land, and the Scioto Company failed in paying for any of the Ohio Company's purchase, and were considered a fraud, and the poor French immigrants had paid their money and got no land.  The action taken by the Ohio Company will be found at the close of the first chapter of this history, including a letter from Judge Cutler.  Mr. J. G. Garvais, a man of high character and influence, and General Rufus Putnam took great interest in the emigrant's favor.  Stephen Duponsan, of Philadelphia, was employed as an agent to secure from Congress, which was then in session in Philadelphia, if possible, a grant of land to the French settlers at Gallipolis.
     In March, 1795, Congress granted to the French at Gallipolis 24,000 acres of land, to be located and surveyed under the instruction of General Rufus Putnam.  Absalom Martin, the surveyor, divided the tract into ninety-two lots, which were numbered in order.  A few men were still not supplied with land, and, in 1798, Congress granted eight lots more of 150 acres each, at the lower end of the former grant on the Ohio River.  J. G. Garvals was granted 4,000 acres out of the 24,000 which was not numbered into lots.  Mr. Garvais laid out a portion of his tract, which included part of the Ohio River bottoms, into town lots and outlots, after the plan of the rural villages, and named his town Burrsburg, in honor of Aaron Burr, who was then quite popular.  As the French were poor, Garvais proposed in a letter to Duponsan to give him a number of tickets to draw lots in his town, or to give him 200 acres of land fronting on the Ohio River.  Duponsan chose the w00 acres which Garvais located on the upper corner of his tract, being sixty-four rods fronting on the river and running back for quantity; made a deed and acknowledged the same before Kimber Barton, the fist Justice of the Peace in the French Grant, and the deed was recorded in Book A, page 1.  In 1832 Thayer D. White purchased this 200 acres of Duponsan for $1,000 cash.  The town of Burrsburg was a failure.  Garvais cleared a few acres, built a log house sixteen feet square, set out some fruit trees, and kept bachelor's hall, having no family.  It was in this cabin that he entertained the celebrated traveler and scholar, Volney, the Professor of History in the Normal School of France, who visited this country in 1797, and who, on his return to France, published an account of his visit to the Scioto settlement.
     But few of the French ever settled on the "Grant," preferring to remain at Gallipolis.  Some that came to the "Grant" sold out and left, and one, a Mr. Fisho, who owned the lot now known as Burk's Point, after making considerable improvement, left and was never heard of afterward, and no one ever came to claim the property.  The names of those who became permanent settlers on the "Grant" and are still represented by descendants, were Vincent, Chabot, Cadot, Valodin, Duduit, Bartvaux, Lacroix, Duthy, Faverty, Serot and Andre.  Considering their want of experience in clearing up the wilderness the settlers made good progress, and in a few years had fine farms and fruit orchards.  The only thing that would bring money was good peach and apple brandy, and distilling fruit was resorted to and a good article was made by them.  The French immigrants suffered much from their want of experience and a fear of the Indians, which was not without cause.  Mr. Vincent, on a hunting trip, saw a party of Indians, and, secreting himself, lay out all night, freezing his hands and feet, it being a very cold night, from which he suffered greatly.  William Duduit had been a coachman in Paris, was stout and active, and became very expert in handling the canoe, and made several trips to Gallipolis, and to Limestone, now Maysville, Ky., and always without adventure with the Indians, as he kept constantly on the watch for his dusky foe.  He married a French woman after he came to Gallipolis, by whom he had four sons and five daughters.  They married, and are represented by the names of Gillin, Waugh, Copper, Stuart, and Phineas Oaks.  The sons were William, Frederick, John and Desso, who lives in New York.  They all have families.  William Duduit's first wife died and he married Zair Lacroix, by whom he had two sons and four daughters.  The sons were Edward, of the Madison Furnace, and Andrew, who lives in Kentucky.  They both have families.  One of the four daughters died unmarried; two of the others married John and Isaac Peters; the other married a Mr. Ridenour.  The oldest survivors of the French settlers here in the "Grant" were John Baptist Burtraux, who died at ninety-four years of age, and Mrs. Vincenet, who was the last survivor of the French colony here.  She was very nearly a hundred years old at her death.
     About the year 1800 J. G. Garvais sold his 4,000 acre tract (except 200 acres he conveyed to Duponsan), to Samuel Hunt, from New Hampshire, and returned to France.  Hunt went to work and made great improvements in clearing the land of the heavy growth of timber, and built a two-story house of hewed oak timber forty feet square, with a stone chimney in the center nearly large enough for a furnace stack.  There came here with Hunt Joel Church, who married here and settled on Gennett's Creek.  When Greene Township was organized he was made Township Clerk, and continued in that office for more than twenty years.  He died at his home on Gennett's Creek about 1857.  Of Church's sons, Rowell, the oldest, is in Texas.  The whereabouts of the two other sons is not known.  One daughter married Andrew Haley, a Red River planter, and lives in Louisiana; Emeline became second wife of E. H. Oaks, and the third married a Mr. Nurse.
     Mr. Hunt
kept several men at work besides those engaged in building his house, and undertook to drain the big pond, which was mostly on his land.  At that time, and many years afterward, about one-third of the Ohio River bottoms was shallow ponds and slushes which would dry out in August and September, poisoning the atmosphere and causing ague and bilious fevers that few unacclimated persons escaped from.  Mr. Hunt died in 1806, a victim to the unhealthy condition of the country and his brother in New Hampshire, who would not go to a place where a brother had been so unfortunate, sold out the Ohio property, or traded it for property in New Hampshire.  Mr. Asa Boynton, of Haverhill, N. H., after making a journey to Ohio and viewing the property, became the purchaser in connection with Matthew White and Lawson Drury, and they moved to Ohio with their families in 1810.  White had 850 acres of the Garvais tract, which was taken of the lower side of the tract, and Drury a strip sixty-four rods wide in front, next to the Duponsan lot, on the upper side of the Garvais tract, and covering the back end of the Duponsan lot; the rest belonged to Boynton, and that part of it fronting on the river still belongs mostly to his grandchildren.  Boynton  was industrious and enterprising, and of the stock needed to develop a new country.  It was difficult at that early day to get money for produce, and Boynton built a flat-boat and took a load to New Orleans; took his return passage home on the steamboat Congress, and was thirty-one days getting to Louisville. 
     Mr. Boynton had built in 1813 the best horse mill then in the country, which enabled him to make good flour.  The only disadvantage was, the bolt had to be turned by hand.  If he ground for a customer and furnished the team, he took one-fourth toll; if the customer furnished his team, he took one-eighth toll.  Boynton, in connection with his mill-wright, Mr. Skinner, and Mr. Thurston built a water mill on Storm's Creek, in the hills back of where Ironton now stands, where sawing and grinding were done.  Boynton sold E. H. Oaks seven acres off his upper corner on the river, and next to that an acre to Madam Naylor, a sister of Mrs. Serot, who married Dr. Andrew Lacroix in Alexandria.  Shortly after the death of her husband Mrs. Naylor, then a young woman, removed to Baltimore, and did not come to Ohio until 1823, bringing with her a daughter, Sally, who married James S. Fulsom.  Mrs. Naylor kept the first dry-goods store in Haverhill.
     Mr. Asa Boynton, one of the most prominent of the early settlers, was born in Lynn, Mass., arch 4, 1760, and was married to Mary Edmunds in 1782; settled in Haverhill, N. H., where he lived until he emigrated to Ohio.  His family that came with him besides his wife was four sons and five daughters.  In 1813 the oldest son, Joseph, married Betsey Wheeler, daughter of Major Wheeler, settling where Wheelersburg now is, and who emigrated from Bethlehem, N. H.  Joseph died in 1817.  Charles Boynton, the second son, married Rhoda Sumner, daughter of Captain Sumner, who emigrated from Pacham, Vt., in 1812 or 1813.  They were married March 1814.  Charles Boynton died August, 1837.  Cynthia, the second daughter, was married to Benjamin Lock in December, 1814.  Lock was from Massachusetts, a carpenter by trade, Lydia, eldest daughter, was married to James B. Prescott November, 1815.  Lydia Prescott died February, 1825.  The third daughter, Lucy, was married to George Williams, a Pittsburger, who at fist principally followed keel boating and flat-boating, and then steam boating, in the capacity of Captain.  He died in 1832 of Cholera.  William L. Boynton, the third son, was married to Nancy Feurt Jan. 1, 1822.  Polly Boynton was married to Thomas H. Rogers Jan. 1, 1822.  Rogers followed boating in the capacity of steamboat Captain for many years, and led a useful and industrious life.  He served one term as County Commissioner, and died July 11, 1870, leaving his third wife with one daughter, and four sons and two daughters by his first wife living.
     Jane Ann Boynton married Thomas Whittier December, 1822, who died soon after, and his widow afterward married John Duthy, who was of the French stock.  Asa Boynton, Jr. married Julia Bartraux Dec. 25, 1828.  Both were good and industrious citizens, and accumulated a handsome property.  He died July 11, 1879, and his wife about two years after.
     John Boynton, the youngest of Asa Boynton, Sr.'s, children, was born in Ohio in 1811; was married to Felicity Bartraux, and died Aug. 15, 1848, Felicity, his wife, dying Feb. 7, 1852, leaving three sons, who served in the Union army and are still living.
     The family of Matthew White were but recently from England when they came to the "Grant", and consisted of the two old people and two sons, Matthew and Edward, young men when they came.  The old people died soon after they came.  Matthew married the Widow Rector, sister of Kimber Barton, one of the earliest settlers.  Two other sisters of Mr. Barton married respectively Ellis Chandler and a Mr. Day.
     Matthew White
had three children, twin daughters and a son.  Edward, who, like his Uncle Edward, never married; he died young.  One of the daughters married Dr. James Vanbeber, who subsequently settled in Newport, Ky.; the other married Franklin Carrol,  a Frenchman, of Gallipolis.  The two girls, joint heirs, sold their land, which was composed of all that part of the White tract that lay in the Ohio River bottom, to Alexander Lacroix.  Matthew White attended the farm.  Edward, although he never learned a trade, was very ingenious, and generally employed in pattern making at the furnaces.  Both the brothers died at about fifty, and were conspicuous for their intense loyalty to England.
     Lawson Drury, the other purchaser of the Garvais tract, had four sons and two daughters.  The eldest, Ann, married Alexander Beatty and died soon after.  Betsey became the second wife of Carter Haley, settled in Kentucky, and is represented by a numerous family of sons and daughters.  Lawson married Ann Smith, and in 1831 sold his farm to E. H. Oaks,  moved to Illinois and settled in Morgan County.  Charles,  the second son, went away with Dr. Bivins in 1819, and settled in Missouri.  George married Miss Cartney, and he and the Cartney family moved to Indiana and settled.  Harvey, the youngest, married and settled in Burlington, Lawrence County, Ohio, and was killed by lightning while sitting in his porch a few years since.  The elder Lawson Drury was the first Post-master in French Grant;  kept the first ferry across the Ohio to Greenup; held the office of Associate Judge and Justice of the Peace.  He sold his part of the land to Phineas Oaks, having previously sold the ferry property to William Thomas, and went to his son Charles in Missouri, as he had been living without any of his family for years.  His wife died soon after he came to Ohio.
     At this distant day it is hard to say who were the first settlers, other than the French.  Commencing at the upper line of the French Grant, Thomas Gilruth, Vincent Furgeson, John Haley all settled here before 1800.  Lower down in the Grant the Feurts, four brothers by the name of Bakers, several families by the name of Patton,  a family of Salladays and William Montgomery at the lower end of the Grant.  Montgomery was the most useful and enterprising of that class of settlers.  Almost unaided, except by his two oldest sons, he built a dam across Pine Creek and erected a saw and grist mill, which was the first mill on the creek.  He afterward built a much better mill for grinding grain at the other end of the dam, on the upper side of the creek, all of which are still standing.  The next mill on the creek was built by one of the Pattons, a few miles above Montgomery's which is still kept.  Afterward Charles Kelley built a mill on the creek, near the upper back corner of the French Grant.
     The Salladay family owned and made a good improvement on the lower lot in the Grant, and sold the lower half to Hezekiah Smith;  the upper half belonged to Matthew Curran,  whose wife was a Salladay.  In the spring of 1815 he sold to Bethuel White and moved to the interior of the State.  The Salladay family were afflicted with consumption, and had a family burying ground on a ridge, at the lower line of the old farm.  Samuel Salladay had died during the fall of 1815 and was buried there.  Two or three months after they took up and Mat Wheeler cut him open and took out his heart, liver and lungs; they were burned up in fire prepared for the purpose, the family sitting round while they were burning, hoping it would arrest the disease.  Mrs. Curran was not present, but she and her sister, Mrs. Bradshaw, died within a year.  George Salladay was the only one that lived to a reasonable old age.  The adventurous Samuel Hunt was the cause of bringing a good many people here from New Hampshire and the contiguous part of Vermont.  From Vermont came the Kimballs, Haleys, Campfield, Kellogg, Lamb, Pratt, and a quite prominent person in Captain Sumnerb, with a married son, Henry, a young son named Horatio and four daughters.  The oldest, Rhoda, married Charles Boynton; Friendley married Robert Lucas, afterward Governor of Ohio for four years; Maria married Dr. Reynolds; Margaret married Mr. Whitmore, and Horatio married a daughter of Robert Lucas by a former wife.  Sumner bought and settled on the two French lots Nos. 8 and 9, where Joshua Oaks lives, and had built in 1814 and 1815 the large frame house now occupied by the Oakses.   He came to the county in 1813.




This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights