OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

OHIO
SCIOTO COUNTY
Biographies
(Source: History of Scioto Valley, Ohio - 1884))

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
ROBERT H. COBURN, merchant, Harrisonville, Ohio, was born in Madison Township, Scioto County, June 28, 1850, the son of Arthur A. and Martha M. (Cowell) Coburn, the former born April 27, 1810, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and the latter born April 22, 1809, in Mercer County, Pa.  They were married in Pittsburg, Pa., Apr. 29, 1834, and were the parents of ten children, of whom six are living - James Harvey, Oscar M., Theodore A., Martha J., wife of George Cook; Mary, wife of Lewis Bracy, and Robert H., our subject.  The latter remained on his father's farm in Madison Township until he was married, Mar. 26, 1876, to Isabella, daughter of Peleg and Susan Colegrove, of Madison Township.  Their children are - William E., Clarence A., Robert D. and Mabel.  In 1881 Mr. Coburn came to Harrisonville, and engaged in the dry-goods and grocery business.  He carries a complete line of general merchandise and is one of the solid business men of the place.  His father was a hatter by trade, which occupation he followed till 1842, when he engaged in farming.  He purchased a farm in Madison Township, Scioto County, in 1847, where he followed agricultural pursuits till his death, which occurred Jan. 19, 1877.  He was survived him till July 8, 1880.
~ Page 344 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
D. F. CONNELL was born in Brooke County, W. Va., then Virginia, Nov. 12, 1827.  In 1842 he accompanied his father to Richland County, Ohio, thence to Upper Sandusky, and in 1844 returned to Brooke County, Va., now W. Va., where he remained till 1846, when he went to Columbiana County, Ohio.  In 1851 he went to Hancock County, W. Va., and engaged in the mercantile business, adding fire brick to it in 1866.  In 1868 he removed to Portsmouth and took charge of the fire-brick works.  The business was started in 1865 by Taylor & Thomas, but in 1866 Mr. Connell bought an interest in the firm was changed to Taylor, Thomas & Co.  In February, 1868, Mr. Connell bought Mr. Thomas's interest and changed the firm name to Taylor & Connell.  They began in a small way in an old saw-mill, making at first about 4,000 per day.  The first year they doubled their capacity and extended their trade.  They have furnished brick for most of the furnaces of Chicago, Detroit, Joliet and Milwaukee.  Mr. Connell became interested in the Cincinnati Retort and Tile Works, and was in Cincinnati two years, a member of the firm of Connell & Taylor, same business.  He was the First to introduce the calcine fire brick in the Sciotoville works, which has proved a great success.  They employed a travelling salesman, R. Jenkins, of Chicago, who worked up a large trade throughout the Northwest.  In 1870 the Scioto Fire Brick Company, Towne & McConnell Brick Company and Salamander Brick Company consolidated, forming the Scioto Brick Company, with a joint stock company, in 1872 Mr. Connell retired from the management of this company and for several years gave his attention to his West Virginia land.  In 1880 he became associated with D. Hale, of Charleston,  and George Straughn in the coal business, but soon after bought his partners' interests.  The company now consists of John D. Carter and Mr. Connell and his sons, George and James, the two latter residing in Peabody.  They own 400 acres of coal land and lease 200 acres.  They have two banks opened and four other workable seams.  They employ 300 men and run their coal directly into their boats on the Kanawha River.  Their capacity at present is from 6,000 to 8,000 bushels per day.  The coal is of superior quality, well adapted for domestic purposes, and especially valuable for gas.  Mr. Connell is one of the most prominent business men of Southern Ohio.  He was married in 1850 to Catherine A. Wilhelm, of Hancock County, W. Va.  They have nine children - Julia, the wife of A. C. Davis; George, James, Anna, Sarah, William, Mary, Daniel and ArthurMr. Connell is a member of the Masonic family.
 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
W. A. CONNOLLEY, proprietor of one of the oldest established business houses of Portsmouth, Ohio, is a son of the late James Connolley.  The business was established by his father in 1855, and in 1860 he was admitted as a partner, and on the death of his father, in 1868, he succeeded to the business.  He did an exclusive retail business until 1874, when he enlarged the building situated on the corner of Fifth and Chillicothe streets, and with increased accommodations started a jobbing business in connection with the retail.  The first floor of the building is divide3d into two large and commodious rooms which accommodate the retail trade, one devoted to dry-goods and notions, the other to boots and shoes.  The upper floors are devoted exclusively to the wholesale trade.  Both wholesale and retail departments are kept well stocked with such goods as meet the demands of the people, and strict attention is paid to the style of goods that suit the different seasons of the year.  This house has for many years held a leading position in this city, and as years roll by it loses none of its former energy and push.
 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
HENRY COOK was born in Germany, Oct. 20, 1827, a son of Henry Cook who came to the United States with his family in 1840 and located in Portsmouth, where he remained till his death in 1870, at the age of sixty-nine years, his wife having died several years previous.  They had six children - Caroline, who was married to Adam Mitzger and died in 1873, aged forty-eight years;  Henry, our subject; Louisa, wife of Charles Kearher, of Portsmouth; John Frederick, of Jackson, Ohio; William and Augustus (twins).  Henry learned the shoemaker's trade of his father and has since been engaged in that business, ten years of the time working in a shoe factory.  He was married in 1852 to Lucy Neil, a native of Germany.  They had a family of four children - Ellen, wife of Theodore Pfeiffer, of Huntington, Ohio; John H., William Cromwell and Charles Edward.  Mrs. Cook died, and in 1862 he married Mary Neil, a sister of his first wife.  They have had two children - Louis F. and GraceLouis died at the age of fifteen months.
 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN COOLEY [Portsmouth] was born in Pennsylvania in 1821, a son of Matthew Cooley, who came to Portsmouth in 1828.  His parents both died when he was twelve years of age, and he was thus early thrown on his own resources.  When fourteen years of age he went to work for James Solsbury, of Portsmouth, to learn the trade of a harness-maker.  When he was twenty-one years of age he opened a shop of his own, and although at that time there were three shops, and since then there has been five others in town, still he has had a good trade and is now considered the leading harness-maker of Portsmouth. He employs only first-class workmen and uses only the choicest stock, guaranteeing all his work.  Mr. Cooley was married in 1853 to Mary Montgomery, daughter of Robert Montgomery.  Three children have been born to them, only two now living - Hattie and CallieWilliam died when fire years of age.  Mr. and Mrs. Cooley are members of the Methodist church.
 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
C. W. COTTON, Vice-President and Superintendent of Portsmouth Wagon Stock Company, was born in Massachusetts in 1829, a son of Ward M. Cotton, a machinist, of Leonminster, Mass.  He worked as an apprentice till twenty-one years of age.  He established the first manufactory for Cook's patent bit, at Shelburne Falls, Mass., and subsequently began the manufacture of carriage wheels.  He was afterward foreman in the Royal Wheel Company's works at Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1867 came to Portsmouth, where he was the prime mover in the erection of the hub and spoke factory of Johnston & Son, working there fifteen years.  He was married in 1852 to Ellen M. Graham, of Massachusetts.  They have two daughters - Mary Ellen and Lizzie J.  Mr. Cotton is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
SCIOTO COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights