OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Richland County,
 Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

ROBERT CAIRNS, was born on the McFall corner, in Mansfield, Feb. 3, 1815; at the age of 3 years, his parents removed to the opposite corner, now occupied by M. L. Miller; be has always resided in the city and county. He was married, in 1835, to Elisabeth Gordon, by Rev. James Johnson, the first minister of the U. P. Church in Mansfield. Mr. and Mrs. Cairns are the parents of nine children-four boys and five girls all living. Mr. C. comes of a family remarkable for longevity, size and activity; they were all prominent actors in the history of this county. His father, Joseph Cairns came to this county from Muskingum County directly after Hull's surrender; he acted as a Captain in a regiment in the early part of the war of 1812, Mr. C. is of Irish parentage, rugged; hardy and active, and bide fair to live many years to relate the incidents of pioneer times; no one has a better and more accurate memory than he, and no one enjoys telling of old times more than Robert Cairns.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
HIRAM CAKE, employs of A. & G. W. R. R.; he was born in Canton, Stark Co., Ohio, Aug. 23, 1823; he came to Richland Co. May 2, 1840, and immediately engaged as a clerk in the dry goods house of the late; William McNulty, which was then situated on the northwest corner of plain and Fourth streets : he remained with him until 1846, when he enlisted in the United States Army and joined the company from this county as private, under Capt. William McLaughlin, in the war with Mexico; after the expiration of his term of service, he returned to Mansfield and soon after engaged in the employ of Isaac Smith, a dry-goods merchant of Monroeville, Ohio; after several months' residence there, he went to New York City, where he was employed in the wholesale dry-goods house of Marsh & Trear, with whom he remained four years, when he returned to Mansfield and again engaged in the employ of William McNulty for one year taking charge of the business during McNulty's absence in California. He then was employed by W. L. Strong in the same business for some time, when be went to California, in 1852; after an absence of fourteen months, he came back to Mansfield and was employed by the Penn. R. R. Co., as book-keeper, for several years, since which time he has been constantly engaged in the railroad business, in different capacities, until the present time. At the age of 21, he joined the Masonic Order and became a member of the Mansfield Lodge, No. 35, in which he is yet a member; during his long membership in this order, he was repeatedly elected as its Secretary, and has been, and now is (1880), Secretary of Mansfield Chapter of Royal Arch Masons and the Mansfield Council of Royal and Select Masters; he now holds the position of Recorder of the Mansfield Commandery, No. 21, Knights Ternplar. He was married in Mansfield, in June, 1850, to Miss Maria L. McCullough, oldest daughter of Judge David McCullough; they were the parents of eight children, six of whom are living. Mrs. Maria Cake died in this city in 1869.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
WILLIALM CANTWELL (deceased), was born in August, 1786, in Brooke Co., Va. He married Ann Williams, and afterward removed to Jefferson Co., Ohio, where they remained until 1820, when they removed to Richland Co. and settled on a farm two miles from Mansfield, on the Spring Mill road, where they resided almost continuously up to the time of the death of the wife of Mr. Cantwell, which occurred in January, 1850; he survived his companion, with whom he had lived over fifty years, but died in 1857. William and Anne Cantwell will be remembered by the pioneers, who still survive, very favorably and kindly, and Mrs. Cantwell will be remembered as one of extraordinary intellectual acquirements for one in the period of pioneer life in which she lived; they raised a family of Twelve children, eleven of whom grew up to be men and women. Thomas, the oldest, located on a farm hear Olivesburg, in Richland Co., about 1820, and remained there till his death in 1868; William was accidentally killed by the fall of a tree; Martha married Jacob George; Margaret married David Jacques; Rachel married William Williams; Elizabeth married John Cary; Jane married John Scott; Col. James married Sarah S. Ferguson; Nancy married Samuel H. Davis; John F. married Matilda Casebeer, and J. Y. married Mrs. J. C. Curtis; they were all at one time residents, of Richland Co. Only three of the family survive- Margaret Jacques, Jane Scott and J. Y. Cantwell. James Cantwell was born in December, 1810, and hence was 10 years old when be came with his father to Richland Co.; in 1845, he responded to the call of the Government and volunteered in the military service for one year during the Mexican war; he was elected and served as First Lieutenant of the company of which McLaughlin was Captain: after the war, he represented Richland Co. two terms in the Ohio Legislature, and the district of which Richland forms a part, one term in the Ohio Senate. In 1859, he removed to Kenton, Hardin Co., and at the breaking-out of the rebellion, he raised a company the second day after Fort Sunder was fired upon, and went to Columbus, April 16, 1861, when his company was assigned to the 4th O. V. I., and he was elected Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment, Louis Andrews being Colonel. In October following, he was tendered a commission as Colonel of the 82d O. V. I., which he accepted, and recruited and organized in less time than any other three-years regiment was organized.  In January, 1862, the regiment was ordered to West Virginia, and from the first was one of the most active regiments in the field it took part with Schenck and Milroy at the battle of Bull Pasture Mountain in May, 1862; then marched with Fremont and Seigel across the Shenandoah Mountains and took part in the memorable campaign of Jackson and Banks in Shenandoah Valley; was at the battle of Cross Keys; then marched over the Blue Ridge and joined the Army of the Potomac; was at the battle of Cedar Mountain it was one of four regiments connected with Milroy's brigade, the advance guard of Pope's army in its march toward the enemy, and the rear guard on its retreat, and hence for ten successive days prior to the second battle of Bull Run the regiment was continually under fire; it was engaged actively and in the foremost of the second Bull Run battle on the 30th of August, 1862, and while gallantly leading his regiment on a charge, Col. Cantwell was instantly killed, the ball passing in just below the left eye and out at the buck part of the head. Thus fell one of the bravest of men, beloved by all the soldiers, and leaving many friends behind him; but he died as a true soldier would choose to die, upon the field of battle and his widow and family, who reside still in Kenton, Ohio, appreciate the sentiment inscribed by an officer upon the board that marked his temporary grave upon the battlefield  "How sleep the brave who sink to rest By all their country's wishes blest."
     His family and friends revere his memory as a true and faithful husband and father noble man and soldier, and a firm friend J. T. Cantwell was born in December, 1824, within two miles of Mansfield ; he grew up to manhood in this locality; read medicine with J. W. Chandler, in Mansfield; graduated in the spring of 1847, and practiced medicine in his native town successfully until the breaking-out of the rebellion, and entered the service of the Medical Department on the 15th of April, 1861; was first connected with the 4th O. V. I., but was afterward appointed Surgeon of the 82 O. V. I., Col. Cantwell's regiment, and was in active duty in the field till December, 1863, filling the position of Brigade, Division and Corps Surgeon, as official orders will show ; he participated in more than twenty battles, in all of which he occupied the position of Operating Surgeon in January, 1864, he was commissioned by President Lincoln Surgeon of the U. S. Volunteers, and assigned to duty by the Surgeon General as Inspector of Hospitals, with Washington as headquarters; in this capacity, he visited all the principal cities, inspecting hospitals, discharging, etc.; returning to duty, be was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, where he remained till April, 1865, when he was assigned to duty at Columbus, Ohio, as Superintendent of Hospitals, where be remained till the Government property was disposed of and the hospitals closed in October following, when he was mustered out of service, but, by recommendation of the Surgeon General of the U. S. Army, for meritorious services, he was breveted Lieutenant Colonel, and he now holds a commission, signed by Andrew Johnson and Edwin M. Stanton, conferring upon him that rank. After the war, he went to Alabama and engaged in the planting interests as well as his profession, but has now returned to his native city, where he expects to spend the greater portion of his time during the balance of his life.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
F. C. CAREY, proprietor of soap factory ; was born in Ashland Co. (formerly Richland), Perry Township; came to Mansfield recently, and purchased the soap factory, which was established in 1868 and has been one of the leading enterprises of this city; the company have the capacity to manufacture 40,000 pounds per month; they manufacture the following varieties of soap: laundry, toilet, castile, barbers', tar, and also the celebrated coldwater soap they are introducing and extending the sale of their soap in a number of States. They exchange soap for grease, also pay the highest market price for tallow.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
S. P. CARL well deserves mention in a history of the farming interests of Richland county, for through the force of his own character, capable management and keen discrimination he has gained a place among the substantial obstacles on the journey of life.  He was born in Madisonburg, Wayne county, Ohio, July 4, 1852, his parents being George and Christina (Wetzel) Carl, both of whom were natives of Germany, the mother's birth having occurred in Wurtemberg.  The father came to the United States in the '40s and settled at Madisonburg, Wayne county, Ohio.  He had previously learned the saddler's and harnessmaker's trade in his native country during his boyhood and he followed that pursuit there until his emigration to the new world.  After coming to Ohio he conducted a hotel and also carried on a harness shop in Madisonburg for sixteen years, but in 1856 he turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits, in which he continued until his death in 1904.  His life was one of unceasing toil and industry, and his indefatigable perseverance and well directed labor brought him a comfortable living.  He long survived his wife, who passed away March 28, 1876. 
     They were the parents of eleven children, namely: Alexander and George, who are partners in the conduct of a hardware business in Shreve, Wayne county, Ohio; Caroline and Emeline, both of whom are deceased; S. P., of this review; Elizabeth and Clara, who have also passed away; Brada who is engaged in the hardware business in Jeromeville, Ashland county, this state; Edward, who makes his home in Colorado; William, who is junior member of the firm of Carl Brothers, engaged in the hardware business at Shreve, Ohio; and one who died in infancy.
     S. P. Carl was educated in the district schools and in a select school at Shreve, Ohio.  In his youth he became familiar with the labors of the farm, as he assisted his father in tilling the soil and caring for the crops.  Throughout his entire life he has carried on general agricultural pursuits.  Twenty-five years ago he came to Richland county and purchased one hundred acres of land in Madison township, which he still owns and operates.  When he bought this farm it was entirely unimproved and in its midst stood a little log cabin with the usual accompaniments in the way of other buildings and improvements.  With characteristic energy he began the further development of the farm, erected a commodious residence and subsequently put up substantial barns and outbuildings for the shelter of grain and stock.  As the years have passed he has kept persistently at work in improving his place until it compares very favorably with other farms in the vicinity of Mansfield and its owner is looked upon as one of Richland county's substantial agriculturists.  Although he has faced adverse circumstances in life, Mr. Carl ahs been prosperous and has accumulated a competence sufficient to enable him to enjoy life, if he so desires, without further recourse to labor.  He has made judicious and profitable investments in real estate and his property interests now include five residences in the city of Mansfield.
     Mr. Carl was married in 1874 to Miss Caroline Smith, then a resident of Ashland county, Ohio, and unto this marriage have been born eight children, as follows:  Ella, the wife of Jacob Mottayau, a farmer in Willow township, Richland county; Clarence who wedded Irene Alleman, who is engaged in the hardware business in Jeromeville, Ashland county; Lottie, the wife of Orville Dixon, a farmer of Franklin township, Richland county; Bertha, the wife of Roy Blizzard, a liveryman of Mansfield; Walter who married Hall Fletcher, and is acting as cashier of the bank at Jeromeville, Ohio; Roy, who is in the employ of the Oliver Chilled Plow Company at Mansfield; and Stella and Harland, at home.
     The parents are members of the Evangelical Lutheran church and are active and helpful workers in the church, doing much to promote its growth and extend its influence.  Mr. Carl votes with the democratic party but the honors and emoluments of office have had no attraction for him.  He prefers to give his attention to his business affairs and as the years have gone by he has met with signal prosperity in his undertakings.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
GEORGE F. CARPENTER, attorney; was born Aug. 8, 1820, in Worthington Township. Was married, July 2, 1852, to Jennette L. Raid, of Mansfield; their children are Reid, Frank, John, Nettie, Dan and Lizzie. Mr. Carpenter came to Mansfield in the fall of 1842, studied law with James Purdy ; was admitted to the bar in February, 1845, in New Lisbon, Ohio; entered is partnership with James Purdy; continued till 1847, then formed a partnership with Gen. William McLaughlin; continued till 1852, then resumed the practice of law alone for several years, after which he formed a partnership with Col. Isaac Gass. Was in the army from April 6, 1863, till Nov. 12, 1865; appointed Paymaster of the Army of the Cumberland returned to Mansfield and resumed the practice of law ; in 1874, entered in partnership with H. P. Davis, which continues up to the present time; office in the Carpenter Block, corner of Third and Main streets.
W. B. CARPENTER, tanner; he was born Sept. 15, 1825, in Worthington Township; he served as an apprentice at the tanner's trade fur three years in Newville, with T. F. Simmons; at the expiration of this time, be went to Buffalo, N. Y., and completed his trade; he then returned to Newville and superintended the tannery for his father; he afterward formed a partnership with G. F. Carpenter, and remained six years; in 1852, he dissolved partnership, but he continued the business, making twenty-seven year's continuous work in a tannery. He was married, Sept. 15, 1846, to Emeline Grove, who was born in 1828, in Montgomery Co., Penn.; they had the following family-Alfred George (married to Alice Boyd), and resides in Cleveland, engaged in the practice of law; Clara L. (married to Joseph Charlton); Electa (married to T. Y. Smiley), and resides in Ashland; Alice E. (married to Albert Seiler); Eugene is attending the Ohio University at Delaware; Ada E., Otto W. and Jennie are still at home with their parents; one daughter-Lucy, is dead. Mr. Carpenter has been a member of the M. E. Church since 16 years of age. Donn A. Carpenter, brother of W. B., was born in 1830 ; he was in the Mexican war ; he was elected State Senator from Jones Co., Iowa, is 1863, and also in the late war; he died in January, 1864. Mr. Carpenter can trace back his ancestry to 1688; they landed at Boston Mass., in early American days, and from there spread over the United States; Mr. C.'s father came to Ohio in 1818.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
SAMUEL CARROTHERS (deceased), was born in Washington Co., Penn., in 1780 and was the only son of George and Jane Workman Carrothers, who were old residents of that county, and came to this country before the Revolutionary war. He was married in Washington Co., in the year 1802, to Miss Mary Dye, who was born in 1781 ; they removed to this county in 1815, and were the parents of five children - Susan Lake Carrothers was born in the year 1807, and is now a resident of Linn Co., Iowa; Elizabeth Grant was born Jan. 24, 1809, and is a resident of this city; Jane Workman Hoffman was born in 1811, is a resident of Olney, Ill.; Rebecca D. McCollough was born in 1818, and is now living in Olney, Ill.; George W. was born in January, 1815; Mary Carrothers Ridgeway was born in 1817; Samuel Leet Carrothers, the youngest son, was born in 1819 ; he lives in the city, and is a builder and contractor; Elizabeth Carrothers was married in Mansfield, to Edwin Grant, is 1834; he was born in Fairfield, Conn., in 1797, and came to Richland Co. in 1819 ; for many years he carried on a tannery, near the corner of First and Main streets, is this city, in which he was quite successful; he died in 1845, in Mount Carmel, Ill.; after his death Mrs. Grant returned to this city, where, she has since remained ; they were the parents of one child, Esther Ann, the wife of Robert Ray Smith, the well-known painter of this city. They were married March 9, 1858, and are the parents of four children.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
MERCHANT CARTER, County Treasurer; was born in Springfield Township, Richland Co., Oct. 15, 1882. Married Nov. 22, 1859, to E. U. Gass. Was elected County Treasurer in 1877, re-elected in 1879.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
I. J. CASSELThe agricultural interests of Springfield township are well represented by I. J. Cassel, who owns a well improved property comprising one hundred acres, on which are found substantial buildings, and the farm, in its neat and well kept appearance, indicates the progressive methods of the owner.
     Mr. Cassel was born in Sandusky township, Richland county, Ohio, in 1851, a son of John and Sarah Ann (Stow) Cassel, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania.  The Cassel and Stow families were neighbors in the Keystone state, and the friendship of the young couple eventually ripened into love.  However, the father of John Cassel decided to remove with his family to the west, and accordingly he made preparations and started on his overland journey, which at that early day was the method of travel.  After they had continued their journey several days they overtook the Stow family, who were traveling in like manner to the west, although neither knew of the others intentions upon leaving the Keystone state.  The two families then traveled together for several days when Mr. Cassel's son Joseph was taken ill, and this forced them to discontinue their journey for a time.  The Stow family, however, continued on their way until they reached Richland county, and being pleased with this section of the country they made a settlement in Springfield township near Ontario.  When the condition of Joseph Cassel had improved sufficiently for the family to resume their journey they started once more and when they reached Richland county they learned that the Stow family had made a settlement here.  Mr. Cassel, however, at that time was not favorably impressed with this section, but his son John insisted on locating here, although doubtless he was more deeply concerned in his own social relations in settling near the Stow family then he was in regard to the financial interests of his father.  The father consented, and the two families were once more neighbors, while in due course of time John Cassel and Sarah Ann Stow were united in marriage and established a home of their own.  Their union was blessed with eleven children, as follows:  Mary Ann, who became the wife of Hiram Taylor, but is now deceased; George F., who has passed away; Abraham J., who was a railroad man and died at Peru, Ohio; David H., who is engaged in the hardware business in Crestline, Ohio; Sarah E., who is the wife of W. S. Brandt, a farmer of Washington township, Richland county; Samuel A., who is deceased; Catherine, the wife of John Altdaffer, a retired citizen of Crestline; I. J., whose name introduces this review; Frank J. E., who is employed on the railroad as baggage master and makes his home in Crestline; one who died in infancy; and W. A., a farmer of Sandusky township.  Both the parents of these children have passed away, the father dying in 1899, in the faith of the English Lutheran church, while the mother survived for several years and passed away in 1905.  Both lie buried in the Crestline cemetery.
     I. J. Cassel, the fifth son and eighth child in his father's family, as reared on the home farm in Sandusky township, while his education was reared on the home farm in Sandusky township, while his education was pursued in the district schools.  He was early trained to the duties of the home place, assisting his father in the fields from the time of early spring planting until the crops were harvested in late autumn.  He remained with his father until he had reached the age of thirty-five years, at which time he purchased his present place, comprising one hundred acres of rich and valuable land, this property being located in Springfield township.  He has made many improvements in the way of building a good residence and substantial barn and out-buildings, so that he today has one of the valuable farms of this portion of Richland county.  He ever follows progressive ideas of agriculture, so that excellent results follow his labors, and each year he annually gathers good crops.
     In 1874 occurred the marriage of Mr. Cassel and Miss Mary Ellen Baker, who is also a native of Sandusky township, and by her marriage she has become the mother of five children, but the two eldest, Maud May and William Edward are deceased.  Maud May  married C. C. Lohr, and at her death left a little daughter, Glenna, who makes her home with Mr. Cassel.  Those of the family still living are: Mary Ellen, the wife of Frank Herdman, who follows railroading and makes his home in Mount Vernon, Ohio; Fred J., who is the stationary engineer and resides with his parents; and Mossie Marie, who is also under the parental roof.
     Mr. Cassel, following in the political footsteps of his father, gives his support to the men and measures of the democratic party.  For seven years he filled the office of township trustee, while for fifteen years he acted as a member of the school board.  He and his wife are members of the English Lutheran church, while his fraternal relations are with Crestline Lodge, No. 266, K. P.  Having spent their entire lives in Richland county, Mr. and Mrs. Cassel have many friends and acquaintances who esteem them highly for their many good traits of character, while in business circles Mr. Cassel is known for his straightforward and honorable methods.
J. M. CHANDLER (deceased), was born in Jeromeville, now in Ashland Co., Ohio, Oct. 15, 1815, and there received a good common-school education; afterward studied medicine, and passed through the regular course; at the early age of 21 years, Mr. Chandler graduated with honor at the Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati ; in the year 1842, he removed to Mansfield and commenced practice, which he continued until the time of his death, which occurred Jan. 18, 1863 ; the Doctor was buried at Mansfield on the 20th of January, 1863 ; during his residence in Mansfield, he was engaged in s large practice, and was reputed by his brothers in the profession as one of the best-read physicians and counselors, in this part of the State ; for a number of years, be was in partnership with the late Dr. O. F. Mitchell, and their business extended throughout the adjoining counties. Dr: J. M. Chandler was married, Aug. 12, 1845, to Miss S. A. Mount, who died Aug. 10, 1847; Frank, a son by this marriage, died May 4, 1855 ; on Dec. 30, 1852, the Doctor was married to Miss R. E. Mount, who still survives ; three children, two girls end one boy, by this marriage, now live in Mansfield - Charles M., at present is telegraph operator in the Western Union office in Mansfield.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
JOSEPH Y. CHARLTON, tanner; wee born Jan. 21, 1841. He was married March 16, 1865, to Clara L. Carpenter; she was born July 8, 1847 ; they have four children - Mattie B. was born in February, 1866; Grove, May 17,1868; Alfred Doyle, Jan. 1, 1870; Lettie Nell, Feb. 14, 1874. After marriage, located in Wayne Co., engaged in farming; thence to Lucas; from there to Newville, engaged in tannery; in 1879, he went to Mansfield; since then has been engaged as foreman in the Carpenter tannery. Enlisted in the army during the late rebellion in the 32d O. V. I.; served his time of enlistment; was wounded twice during battles.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
ISAAC N. CLABERG, attorney; he wee born Oct. 6, 1847, in Butler Township; son of Jacob Claberg; he attended the Savannah Academy and also the Smithville Academy, and graduated at the Law Department of the Indiana State University; afterward reed law with Manual May, and was admitted to the bar at Bucyrus, Ohio, in March, 1878 ; now engaged in the practice of law in Mansfield.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
EMILIUS CLAPP, wine merchant; Emeliua Clapp is the descendant, in the seventh generation, of Roger Clapp, who came to this country from England in 1630, settling in Dorchester, Mass.; here he married Miss Joanna Ford, daughter of Thomas Ford, of Dorchester, England, who, with her parents, came over in the ship with himself. Roger Clapp was appointed by the General Court, in August, 1665, Captain of the Castle (the principal fortress in the province), which position he held for twenty years, and was universally respected and honored ; he also held various other offices, both civil and military; in 1686, he removed to Boston, where he died in 1691, in the 82d year of his age; his wife died in 1695, in her 78th year; by this union there were fourteen children, one of whom, Preserved, was born Nov. 23, 1643, who married Sarah Newberry, of Windsor, and settled in Northampton; he was Captain of the Town, a representative in the General Court, end Ruling Elder in the church, and died from the effects of a gunshot wound received from an Indian ; be had seven children, one of whom, Roger, was the father of Maj. Jonathan, one of the first settlers in Easthampton ; he had three sons end eight daughters ; the youngest son, Benjamin, was born in 1738, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and died in 1815 ; his wife died in 1847, at the advanced age of 97 years; there were born to them fifteen children. The eighth was Solomon, the father of Emelius Clapp, who was born in Easthampton, Sept. 2, 1782, and died Nov. 25, 1827 ; he married Miss Paulina Avery, of Wallingford, Conn.; there were ten children by this marriage, of whom Emelius is the first son, born Dec, 5, 1808; he received his education at the public schools and Amherst Academy; after his father's death, he remained at home until the spring of 1832, then removed to Ohio, where he lived until the following fall when be returned to Massachusetts, where he married Lydia Hutchinson April 15, 1838 ; the same year, be again came to Ohio, and settled in Chester, Geauga Co., where be remained until 1836, when he removed to Mentor, Lake Co., and there lived one year; then commenced the manufacture of candy at Painesville, which business he followed in connection with the manufacture of silk ; specimens of his handiwork are now in possession of the family and show him to have been an expert workman; he resided in Painesville until the spring of 1844, then to Elyria, where he continued the manufacture of candy until September, 1850, when be came to Mansfield ; during his residence in this city, be was constantly engaged, in partnership with his son-in-law and alone, in the manufacture of candy, and the grocery trade, for many years. Nov. 20, 1865, the firm of E. Clapp & Co. sold their stock to Remy, Hedges & Co.; since 1855, he has been extensively engaged in the manufacture of wine from grapes grown at his vine yard on Kelly's Island. Emelius and Lydia Hutchinson Clapp are the parents of four children, one son and three daughters; James Birney died in Elyria, aged 5 years; Francis H. died in infancy ; two daughters are now living-Ellen Marietta (wife of Mr. G. C. Wise), of this city, and Mary Paulina (wife of Joseph H. McKee), of Grand Rapids, Mich. Mrs. Lydia Clapp died in Mansfield Feb. 20, 1870; his present wife was Miss Carrie Beardsley, of Garrettsville. Portage Co., whom he married May 30, 1872.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Publ. 1908)
GEORGE CLARK, who carries on general agricultural pursuits in Franklin township, is the owner of an excellent tract of land of one hundred and eighty acres, from which he derives a gratifying annual income, owing to the practical care and labor which he bestows upon its fields.  He was born in Cumberland county, Pennsylvania, Nov. 15, 1830.  His grandfather, a native of Scotland, came to America in colonial days and participated in the Revolutionary war in behalf of the cause of independence.  He was afterward a raftsman on the Susquehanna river.  The father of our subject was Frederick Clark, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1795 and became a resident of Richland county, Ohio, in 831, at which time he purchased land.  In 1832 he removed is family to Franklin township, this county, and entered the last quarter section from the government in this vicinity.  His entire life was devoted to general agricultural pursuits and in the work he was diligent and persevering, meeting with creditable success in his undertakings.  He died at the age of seventy-six years.  His wife was Mrs. Elizabeth (Fowler) Clark and her father was for nine years a soldier with Napoleon Bonaparte.

Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Publ. 1908 - Page 753

J. HOWARD CLARK.  The farm of eighty acres, situated on section 12, Plymouth township, Richland county, which is now owned and operated by J. Howard Clark has been in possession of the family for more than six decades.  The gentleman, whose name introduces this review, was born in the house which is still standing on the place, May 19, 1863, and with the exception of five years spent in Crawford county, this state, he has always resided here.
     His paternal grandfather, Eli Clark, was a native of Connecticut, and came to Richland county in 1846, at which time he bought and located on this place.  He followed farming throughout his entire life and also conducted a sawmill.  The trip to this state from the east was made by boat from Buffalo to Sandusky, as this was prior to the building of the railroads in this section of the state.
     Eli Clark, Jr., the father of our subject, was also born and reared in Connecticut and was married there May 1, 1850, to Miss Caroline Bolles, after which he located on the home farm and there carried on general agricultural pursuits throughout his remaining days.  He also conducted a sawmill for more than forty years and was known as a straightforward business man.  He led a quiet life and passed away on his farm in 1893, when he had reached the age of sixty-eight years, while his wife survived him for only a short period, passing away Mar. 24, 1894, when sixty-seven years of age.  Their family numbered three children, namely:  Lorenzo, who was born in 1858 and died in 1894, leaving a widow and three sons: J. Howard, of this review; and John A., who is engaged in the grocery business in Shelby, Ohio.
     J. Howard Clark was reared in the usual manner of farm lads, assisting in the work of the fields from the time of early spring planting until the crops were harvested in the late autumn.  He acquired his education in the district schools near his father's home, attending only in the winter months when his services were not required on the home farm.  He has always followed the occupation to which he was reared and is now the owner of the old home property, comprising eighty acres, situated on section 12, Plymouth township, and he also owns fifty acres adjoining and another tract of one hundred and eighty acres in Auburn township, Crawford county, so that his landed possessions now embrace three hundred and ten acres, all of which is well improved and has been placed under a high state of cultivation.  He operates all of this property, working earnestly and persistently year by year, so tat he has now accumulated quite a handsome competence and is numbered among the substantial agriculturists of Richland county.
     Mr. Clark established a home of his own by his marriage on the 21st of October, 1885, to Miss Effie A. Dawson, who was born in Auburn township, Crawford county, June 11, 1865, a daughter of William and Rebecca J. (Doty) Dawson, the former a native of England, while the latter was born in Ashland county, Ohio.  The family numbered four children, of whom Mrs. Clark is the second in order of birth.  The others are: Elmer L., a resident of Butler, Indiana; Emma R., the wife of Andrew C. Trowbridge, of Chicago, Illinois; and Ida M., the wife of Louis Clemmons, also of Chicago.  Both the parents are now deceased, having passed away in Plymouth township.  By her marriage Mrs. Clark has become the mother of one son, Russell D. Clark.
     Mr. Clark
gives his political support to the men and measures of democracy but has never been active as an office seeker, his private business interests occupying his full time and attention.  He is a member of Auburn Grange, of which he is now serving as secretary.  He is also identified with the Odd Fellows' lodge in Plymouth.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  Mr. Clark has spent his entire life in Richland county and is, therefore, well known to our readers.  He ever follows the most honorable and straightforward methods in his dealings with his fellowmen and is, therefore, highly esteemed by all with whom he is brought in contact.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908 - Page
828)
SAMUEL C. CLARK.  In this publication, which has to do with those who have been in the past or are to-day prominently concerned in the business, professional, political and social life of Richland county, we are gratified to give a specific consideration to Samuel C. Clark, of Mansfield, for his life has been one of activity and he is widely known throughout the county.
     Mt. Clark is a native on of the Buckeye state, having been born in Mount Gilead, Morrow county, July 14, 1850, the son of George Northrup Clark.  The latter's father was Samuel Clark, one of the pioneers of Ohio.  He was a native of the state of Connecticut, whence he came to Ohio in the early days, locating at Boardman, Mahoning county, where he was one of the first settlers, becoming one of the influential men of that section of the state.  He married a Miss Northrup, of the well known old New England family of that name, and they reared two sons and three daughters.  His son, George N., the father of the immediate subject of this review, removed from Mahoning to Morrow county, settling in South Woodbury, where he was engaged in the dry-goods business for many years, being very successful in his endeavors.  He was a man of strong intellectuality and inflexible integrity and his prominence and influence in Morrow county were umistakable, as shown in the fact that he served two consecutive terms in that state legislature, being the first representative that the town of Woodbury had ever had in the general assembly.
     At the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion George N. Clark, signalized his patriotism and loyalty by enlisting for service, as a member of the Ninety-sixth Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in which he held the office of adjutant.  At the close of the war he was elected county auditor, which led to his removal to the county-seat, Mt. Gilead, in 1865, and there he passed the residue of his life, passing away in 1893, at an advanced age and secure in the esteem of all who knew him.  He married Mary Lowrey and had five children, of whom three survive:  Samuel C., of this sketch; Cyrus C. who is engaged in the crude-oil business in Findlay, Ohio; and Alice C., the wife of Charles Miller who is a clerk in the freight office of the Pittsburg, Akron & Western Railroad, at Akron.
     Samuel C. Clark came to Mansfield in the year 1869.  For some twelve or thirteen years he was employed by the S. N. Ford Lumber Company, and then for a period of eleven years he was a railway postal clerk; later was in charge of the Fulton Truck & Foundry Company's business for about two years; for abut one year he was the superintendent of the Mansfield water works, and on the 1st of May, 1899, he received from Mayor Brown the appointment to the important and exacting office of chief of the police department of Mansfield, and this position he held till September, 1900.  He engaged in the fire and life insurance business in February, 1901, in which he is meeting with success.
     Mr. Clark was one of the charter members of Mansfield Lodge, No. 56, B. P. O. E., and is also a member of Madison Lodge, No. 26, Knights of Pythias, maintaining a likely interest in these fraternities.  In his political adherency he has always given a stanch allegiance to the Republican party and its principles.
    
Turning in conclusion to the more purely domestic chapter in the career of Mr. Clark, we record that on February 26, 1880, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Carrie M. Day, a daughter of Sylvanus B. Day, a well-known residence of Mansfield.  Mrs. Clark has two brothers, - Lieutenant Willis B. Day, of the United States Navy, who is at present stationed in the government navy yards at Brooklyn, New York; and Benjamin F. Day, who is connected with the wholesale confectionary establishment of Voegele & Demming, of Mansfield.
     Mrs. Clark's grandfather in the agnate line was Benjamin F. Day, who was a native of the historic old state of New Jersey and who came from Chatham, Morris county, that state, to Ohio, about the year 1838, becoming one of the pioneers of the Buckeye state.  Of his children we offer the following brief record: Sylvanus B. is the father of Mrs. Clark, as has been already noted.  Rear Admiral B. F. Day, of the United States Navy, has the distinction of being the youngest man to occupy that important office in the navy department of our government.  He resides on a plantation near Glasgow, Virginia, about three miles from the famous Natural Bridge.  Calvin Day, a resident of Kansas City, Missouri, is the city passenger agent of the Santa Fe Railroad.  Maria became the wife of John Blymeyer, a retired manufacturer of Mansfield.  Matilda is the widow of D. A. Beekman and resides at Plymouth, Ohio.  Harriet is the wife of Wells Rogers, a retired shoe merchant of Plymouth, this state.
Source: A Centennial Biographical History of Richland Co., Ohio - 1901 - Page 497
W. P. CLARKE, merchant. This gentleman entered the store of Arnold Constable, of New York, as clerk, in the spring of 1857; he commenced business for himself in the fall of 1859, having purchased the stock of the late firm of E. & C. Hedges, of Mansfield; he occupied the old stated. 15 Public Square; be now occupies the entire building, and is at present crowded for room to accommodate his increasing business, which is now the moat extensive in the city; he employs five clerks, and wholesales and retails staple and fancy dry goods, carpets, oil-cloths and mattings, together with ribbons laces, hosiery, gloves, and fancy goods of all kinds ; his stock is at all times very large, and one of the moat complete of the kind in Mansfield; Mr. Clarke has, by his affability and courtesy to customers, contributed very much to his business, and is to-day recognized as the leading dry-goods merchant in the city; Mr. Clarke occupies several places of trust end responsibility; be is Director of Mansfield Savings Bank, a Director in the Mansfield Fire Insurance Company, Director and Treasurer of the Mansfield Loan and Building Association.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
MRS. MARY E. CLINE owns a valuable tract of land, comprising one hundred and sixty acres, situated on section 36, Jackson township, and in the management of his displays excellent business ability.  Mrs. Cline was born on the farm where she now resides, Oct. 22, 1844, a daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Gordon) Cairns.  The former was born in Mansfield, Richland county, Feb. 15, 1815, and was a son of Richard and Harriet Cairns.  The grandfather was a native of Ireland and was a sea captain, while the grandmother was born in England and had been previously married.  Her first husband bore the name of Wilson and by him she had three daughters.  Following his demise she gave her hand in marriage to Richard Cairns.  Upon their emigration to America they at once made their way to Richland county, Ohio, where they spent their remaining days.  Their family numbered three children: Robert, Joseph and Mrs. Harriet McLaughlin.
     Robert Cairns was reared and educated in this county and in early life worked at the cabinetmaker's trade.  He then engaged in farming in Jackson township and became a wealthy landowner, having four hundred acres, situated on section 36, Jackson township.  He was throughout a long period identified with the agricultural interests of the county but in later life retired, making his home in Mansfield until the time of his death, which occurred in 1895, when he had reached the advanced age of eighty years.  His wife, who, as stated, bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Gordon, was born in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, in January, 1815, and when a little maiden of eleven years accompanied her parents on their removal from the Keystone state to Richland county, the journey being made in a covered wagon and the daughter walking the greater part of the distance.  She also passed away in Mansfield when seventy-four years of age.
     Their family numbered nine children, as follows:  Mrs. Amanda Myers, deceased; Joseph, who lives on a portion of the old homestead in Jackson township; John, who served in the Civil war as a member of Company E, Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; Robert, who also served with that company and has departed this life; Richard, who was a member of that company and now makes his home in Mansfield; Mrs. Harriet Barr, of that city; Mary E., now Mrs. Cline and the subject of this review; Mrs. Emma Miller, also a resident of Mansfield; and Mrs. Charlotte Patterson, of that city.
     Mary E. Cairns was reared on the home farm in Jackson township and acquired her education in the district schools near her father's home.  She was early trained by her mother in the duties of the household, so that at the time of her marriage she was well qualified to take charge of a home of her own.  It was in 1866, when she was a young lady of Twenty-two years, that she gave her hand in marriage to Jackson Cline, a son of Michael and Matilda (Murphy) Cline.  At the time of her father's death she inherited one hundred and sixty acres of the homestead property, situated on section 36, Jackson township, and here she now resides, giving her supervision to the operation of the place.
     By her marriage Mrs. Cline has become the mother of eight children, as follows:  Robert, who is superintendent of the Bell Telephone Company at Indianapolis, Indiana; John, a resident of Columbus, Ohio; Tillie, who died at the age of nineteen years; Elizabeth, the wife of Frank Gribling; Elzy, who is manager of the Home Telephone Company at Toledo, Ohio; Charles O., who also makes his home in that city; Albert, of Columbus; and Ada, the wife of Fred Hunt, a resident of Mansfield.
     Mrs. Cline is a gentle, kindly woman, charitable in her estimate of every one.  In the care and management of her farm she shows sound judgment and excellent business ability while her social qualities are such as to render her popular among her many friends and acquaintances.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - from 1808 to 1908 by A. J. Baughman - Chicago: The J. S. Clarke Publishing Co. 1908 - Page 1045)
GEORGE A. CLUGSTON, banker ; he was born Oct. 5, 1842, in Franklin Co., Penn.; came to Ashland Co., Ohio, in 1849 ; he received a liberal education, and engaged in teaching, in all three years ; came to Mansfield in March, 1863 ; read law with Henry Hedges; was in Provost Marshal's office fourteen months, also Deputy Clerk in office of Probate Judge; he was admitted to the bar in 1865, by District Court held at Bucyrus, and in United States Court in 1867, at Cleveland; continued in practice till October, 1873; when he was appointed Cashier of the Farmers' National Bank, and continues to hold that position; held the office of City Clerk of City of Mansfield in 1872-78. He was married, Jan. 1, 1867, to Sarah M. Larimer, who was born in Mansfield, Ohio, where she has always lived.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
JABEZ COOK (deceased). Mr. Cook was a resident of Mansfield and Madison Townships for sixty years, an honest, upright citizen, well informed and possessed of social qualities of a high order; he was born in Washington Co., Penn., July 11, 1792; came to Ohio in 1814, and settled in Madison Township in 1815, and on what has since been known as the Cook homestead, on which he remained about forty years. He was married in March, 1815, to Miss Hannah Pierson, of Washington Co., Penn.; nine children were born to them, seven of whom are living; James Harvey and Thomas McCurdy, the one a resident of Mansfield and the other of Sandusky City, are twins and the first children of Jabez Cook ;they were born in September, 1816 ; Alice, the third child, is a resident of Mansfield ; Emily, of Morrow Co., Ohio; Elizabeth, of Iowa City; Mortimer and Lydia Jane, in Santa Barbara, Cal.; Abbie Ellen and Willis M., are dead. Mr. Cook removed to Mansfield in 1854, where he continued to reside until his death, which occurred Feb. 6, 1875.
 
JAMES HERVEY COOK, was born in Madison Township, two and a half miles south of Mansfield, in September, 1816; he received his elementary education at what is now known as the Sandy Hill Schoolhouse, and afterward at Granville, Ohio, when he returned home and worked on the farm and taught school several winters; he came to Mansfield in the winter of 1840-41, and taught a school on the corner of Fourth and Mulberry streets in the little red schoolhouse, which the older residents will remember. He was married, March 27, 1842, to Miss Mary Ann Wiler, of this city, with whom he has raised four children; until the year 1849, Mr. Cook was alternately engaged in teaching school, farming and buying produce; in the spring of that year, he took possession of the Wiler House, in which business he was engaged without interruption ten years, and again in 1864 until 1869; he has always been considered one of Mansfield's best citizens, and interested in all public improvements ; he is now connected with the Richland Mutual insurance Company as one of its officers.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
SAMUEL B. COLWELL, (deceased). He was born in Southampton Township, Cumberland Co., Penn., June 12, 1810, where he worked at his trade of black-smithing, until his removal west in 1836 ; he came to Richland Co. in May, 1837, and settled in Troy Township, where he took charge of a grist-mill with s brother; he continued at this business for some time before removing to his farm west of Lexington, on which he lived until 1862, when he returned to Lexington and thence removed to Iowa and entered land; returning to Ohio, he bought a farm south of Laxington, which he soon after exchanged for the mill property; for five years previous to his death, he was a resident of Missouri; he died in Mansfield June 23, 1879, respected for his many good qualities of head and heart. Mr. Colwell was married is Troy Township to Miss Mary McIntire, by whom he Lad nine children, six of whom are living, three sons and three daughters ; James is in the employ of the Aultman & Taylor Co., and Samuel in the wholesale house of Joseph Miller.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
J. W. CRAIG, M. D., physician. Dr. Craig's father, Samuel Carson Craig, was born in Beaver Co., Penn., in 1788. He was married to Jane Woods, and came to Belmont Co., Ohio, where Dr. Craig was born ; not long after, his parents came to this county, where they resided during the remainder of their lives ; his father dying Feb. 7, 1862; his mother, Sept. 18, 1875. When J. W. Craig was about 9 years of age, he went back to Belmont Co., where he lived with an uncle, a lawyer, and attended school and read Blackstone, his uncle desiring he should prepare for the profession of law; J. W. did not fancy Blackstone to any great degree, and often read medical works, evincing a desire in that direction ; when near 17 years of age, be went to Harrison, near Cincinnati, where he continued to read medicine, and also taught school two years; he afterward went to this county, and, with Dr. Bricker, read medicine in the office of Dr. John Mack, of Shelby; from there, he went to the Cleveland Medical College, where he graduated in 1851; April 7 of that year, he located in Ontario, where he remained is practice nineteen years; at the end of that time, 1870 he removed to Mansfield, where he still resides. Dr. Craig was married, Jan. 24, 1854, to Eliza McConnell, whose father, Hugh McConnell, was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., July 11, 1802 ; one of his sisters, born July 14, 1800, is now living, is good health, in Mansfield. He was married to Mary J. McCommon May 24, 1827 ; she was born in Lancaster Co., Penn., Aug. 28, 1808; five years after their marriage, they came to Mansfield, and soon after bought a farm in Richland Co., where they now reside; Dr. and Mrs. Craig are the parents of four children-Wilda, James H., Maggie end May.
 
FRANKLIN E. COPE, was born in Winchester, Frederick Co., Va., April 4, 1807; immigrated to Columbiana Co., Ohio, June 10, 1810, remained there till 1832. He was married, Nov. 12, 1838, to Jane Sweney, she was born 'in Washington Co., Penn., July, 1808; Mr. Cope was engaged in the hatter business in Mansfield for fifteen years, also farming; be was among the early settlers who bore a part of the heat and burden of the severe trials of a pioneer life.
 
JAMES CRAIGHEAD, Mayor of the city of Mansfield ; he was born in 1833, in Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Penn.; came to Mansfield in 1837. Was married in 1859 to Susan White, daughter of Jonathan S. White, of Franklin Township; they have the following children: Septimus, born in 1860, engaged in reading law with Manuel May, in Mansfield, and Clarke, born in 1864 (deceased) ; Mr. Craighead was elected Mayor of Mansfield in the spring of 1879.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
 
J. F. CRAIGLOW.  A good farm of one hundred and sixteen acres on section 21, Springfield township, pays tribute to the care and labor which J. F. Craiglow bestows upon it.  The greater part of his life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits and long experience has given him ability in carrying on the farm work.  He was born in this county Sept. 25, 1847, his parents being J. H. and Sophia (Myers) Craiglow, also natives of Ohio.  The father's birth occurred in Richland county, while the mother was born in Stark county.  He died October 27, 1881, and Mrs. Craiglow, surviving him for about seven years, passed away August 21, 1888.  They were the parents of the following children:  Jacob, who died while serving in the Civil war; J. F., of this review; Sarah E., the wife of John Huss of this county; Charles, deceased; Hannah N., the wife of John Barber; Margaret M., the wife of Fremont Crall, of this county;  Elmira, the wife of N. Pluck, of Mansfield; and two who died in infancy.
     J. F. Craiglow well deserves to be termed a self-made man and merits all the praise that the term implies, for he started out in life on his own account when but ten years of age, working at farm labor for fourteen years during which time he acquired, through his industry and economy, the capital that enabled him to purchase eighty acres of land.  He became owner of a tract of that size in Van Wert county, Ohio, but after eighteen months sold the property and then again worked as a farm hand for two years.  He then purchased the farm upon which he now resides, comprising one hundred and sixteen acres of rich and productive land on section 21, Springfield township.  He has cultivated his fields until they bring forth rich and abundant harvests and his labors are attended with a gratifying measure of success.
     On the 7th of March, 1872, Mr. Craiglow was married to Miss Mary E. Neal, who was born in Stark county, Ohio, in 1848.  Her father, Joseph Neal, was a native of the same county, born in 1818, while his wife was born in 1819, in Chambersburg, Franklin county, Pennsylvania.  Their family numbered ten children.  The father died in 1903 and the mother passed away in 1890.  The home of Mr. and Mrs. Craiglow has been blessed with four children:  William E., who was born April 15, 1873, was married and lives in Kansas City, Missouri, where he is manager of the telephone company; Mercelles D., born July 10, 1878, is manager of a telephone company in Salt Lake City, Utah; Mary S. is the wife of Alfonzo Mabee, and Venus Baron complete the family.
     Mr. and Mrs. Craiglow are both earnest and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he belongs to the Masonic lodge at Shelby, in which he has served in several official positions.  His political support is always given the republican party, for he believes that its principles are most conducive to good government.  He owes his success entirely to his own efforts and the assistance of his estimable wife, who has indeed been a faithful helpmate on life's journey.  When they first located on the farm where they now live there was only a small log cabin eighteen by twenty feet, and in it they lived for seventeen years, after which they erected their present modern and comfortable farm residence.  Other improvements have been added from time to time and the best machinery has been secured to facilitate the work of the fields, until the farm is today one of the well improved properties of Springfield township.  Everything about the place indicates the careful supervision of the owner, whose labors are carefully directed by sound judgment and who in all of his work has been actuated by an honorable purpose and laudable ambition.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
WILLIAM CRALL, was born in Ireland about the year 1794, the enact date not known; he emigrated with his parents to this country, and settled in Washington Co., Penn.; his father died shortly after coming to the country, and be being at that time but 12 years of age, and the eldest of the family, the support of the family mainly devolved upon him; he learned the carpenter trade with a Mr. Enos, who afterward removed from Pennsylvania to Richland Co., and settled in Mifflin Township; during the war of 1812, William enlisted in a Pennsylvania regiment, and, with his command, marched to the West, against the Indiana and British; when the command arrived on its march at Cadiz, Harrison Co., they received the news that peace was declared. and the war was at an end. The command was shortly afterward disbanded, and William with other discharged soldiers came to Mansfield, which at that time was nothing more than a wilderness; remaining here a short time, he went back to his home in Pennsylvania, and afterward returned here with his old employer, with whom he worked at the carpenter trade. The first house in this city furnished with a shingled roof and "plowed and grooved" floor, was erected by him at the southeast corner of Fourth and East Diamond streets, on the lot now owned by Minor Howe; at this time he was 21 years of age. In 1817, Oct. 12, be was married to Mary Westfall, by whom he had eight children, four of whom died at an early age; John Crall, the eldest, died in 1862; Abram died in California in 1852, and Susan and James are still living; Mary Westfall was born at Beverly, Randolph Co. Va., Oct. 31, 1797; her brother, Harvey Westfall, had come to Richland Co. during the war of 1812, and settled at Mansfield; at the close of the war, she came to Ohio, and landed at Newark, where she had an aunt living; she made the entire distance on horseback; after remaining in Newark for a time, she came on to Mansfield to reside with her brother Harvey; after her marriage, her sister Sidney came to Mansfield from Virginia, and lived with her until her marriage with Franklin Carmichael; Mr. and Mrs. Carmichael settled near Shiloh, in this county, where their children who are living still reside. Harvey Westfall removed from Mansfield to Plymouth, near which place be died about twelve years ago; William Crall, after residing in Mansfield for several years, removed with his family to Plymouth, at which place be, in company with Abraham Trux, erected a flouring-mill, which is still standing; be remained at Plymouth but a few years, when he returned to Mansfield, where be resided until his death, which occurred Sept. 11, 1851; his wife survived him until July 21, 1872; previous to going to Plymouth, Mr. Crall kept tavern in the old frame building which stood on the northwest corner of Fourth and Main streets. His parents were Scotch-Irish, and he was raised in the Presbyterian faith; his wife joined the Presbyterian Church in this city, under the ministration of Rev. James Rowland, and remained a member of that church until the time of her death. She always took a great interest in the political affairs of the country, and for a woman was remarkably well posted in political matters. She was fond of reading political speeches, and when able, often attended political meetings of both parties. The career of all leading political men was narrowly watched by her, and their speeches eagerly read.
     Mrs. Crall's ancestors on her mother's side were Welsh, and on her father's, Low Dutch or Hollanders; her grand-parents assisted in settling up Virginia, and her grandfathers, Pugh and Westfall, both fought in the early Indian wars in Virginia, and her father and uncles in the war of the Revolution; of the children of William Crall, as we have said, but two are now living; Abraham immigrated to California during the gold fever, and died there in 1852; John enlisted in Capt. McLaughlin's company, 3d O. V. I., and served during the term of service of that regiment in the war with Mexico: After his return home, he was married to Susan Snyder, who lived but a year or two after her marriage; she left one child, a daughter, who was married to Anthony I. Piero, and is now living at Plymouth ; although quite a politician, John never sought office, and never held but one official position, that of Constable, which office be held at the time of his death, which occurred in July, 1863. James S. Crall enlisted in the 82d O. V. I. during the war of the rebellion, and was appointed a Second Lieutenant to recruit a company for that regiment; upon the organization of the regiment, he was elected Captain of the company; upon the death of Col. Cantwell, at the second battle of Manassas Plains or Bull Run, he was promoted to Major of the regiment, and afterward was trade Lieutenant Colonel of the regiment, which position he held rat the close of the war and the muster-out of the regiment ; the 82d Regiment belonged to the 11th Corps, and took past with that corps in all the battles in which it was engaged while in the Army of' the Potomac ; after the battle of Chickamauga, the 11th and 12th Corps were transferred to the army of Gen. Thomas; the two corps were consolidated end were afterward known as the 20th; with this corps under command of Gen. Hooker, the 82d Regiment took part in all the skirmishes and battles preceding the taking of Atlanta, In the march from Atlanta to Savannah, and from Savannah to Raleigh, North Carolina; the regiment was on the march from Raleigh to Richmond, when Lee surrendered to Grant; a few days thereafter, Johnston surrendered to Sherman, and the war was over. Since his return home, James S. Crall has served as member and President of the City Council, two terms as Justice of the Peace and is at present Deputy Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas; his sister, Susan Larimore, is living, and with her children resides with him in this city.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
CRAWFORD & ZELLERS, cracker manufacturers, located at the corner of Walnut and Bloom streets, in a brink building 56 x 100. The business was originally started in 1872, by H. H. Colby, who continued it for one year, when the firm that now has it took charge, Sept. 7, 1874; Messrs. Crawford & Zellers were formerly engaged in the manufacture of crackers at Richmond, Ind., and when they purchased the property, they possessed net only ample capital, but a complete knowledge of their business; the first building was a frame, to which Crawford S Zellers added some additions ; soon after the improvements had been made, the frame portion of the structure was destroyed by fire; nothing daunted, the proprietors at once rebuilt in a much finer style, so that the works they now have is a model institution of its kind, and considered by all to be one of the moat complete in the State; all the machinery used is of the best and most improved make, enabling this house to successfully compete with any other engaged in a similar business; an engine of thirty-horse power is used, and the bakery has a capacity of turning out 500 barrels of crackers every 24 hours; 25 to 30 hands are employed, and a business maintained that will exceed $150,000; the crackers here produced are noted for their first-class quality and the universal satisfaction they give; a goodly trade is not only had by this firm in Ohio, but the name has extended into the States of New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia and Indiana. The firm is composed of B. F. Crawford, D. K. and J. G. Zellers; Mr. Crawford has withdrawn his interest from the firm of Zellers & Co., at Richmond, Ind., and now gives his undivided attention to the business which he has and is so satisfactorily conducting, and of which he is principal owner.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
DAVID M. CREIGH, (deceased). The man whose name stands at the head of this biography died and was laid to rest in the Mansfield Cemetery, Sept. 28, 1881, aged 61 years; although years have come and an gone, his name is still familiar to the living, and his memory cherished by those who knew and honored him. He was born in the city of Pittsburgh, Penn., Dec. 5, 1799; be came to Ohio in 1822 with his parents, who settled in the northern part of Madison Township; he remained here for a number of years working on the farm with his father, Samuel H. Creigh. On the 19th day of February, 1845, be was married to Miss Attillia Barr, daughter of Col.  Jacob Barr, one of the early settlers of this county, who resided a few miles west of Mansfield, the Rev. D. J. Swinney officiating; in this neighborhood he soon after purchased land, and continued in farm life until his death; during their residence in Madison Township they raised a family of three children; the eldest, Jennie, afterward the wife of James R. Pollock, died Nov. 11, 1877, aged 30 years 10 months and 29 days ; one son by this marriage still survives her; a loving daughter, sister and mother, kind and affectionate to all; her death was universally, regretted; John T. Creigh was born Jan. 10, 1847; be received a good common-school education, and soon after his father's death came to Mansfield, and was employed for some years in the hardware trade, acquiring a thorough knowledge of that business, which has been so useful to him in his present occupation; he is at presents partner in the widely known and prosperous firm of Patterson & Creigh, carriage manufacturers; be was married in November, 1871, to Miss Emma Williams, of this county, and resides on West Bloom street; Franc Creigh, the youngest and surviving daughter, was born June 9, 1848, and, like her sister and brother, received a good education, residing with her mother, who removed to Mansfield soon after her husband's death; she wan married Sept. 7, 1869, to D. W. Rendig, in Mansfield ; they have three children -Carl, the eldest, was born March 24, 1871; Lee Creigh Rendig, born Feb. 9, 1873 ; Kittie Kendig, born Sept. 28, 1876; Mrs. Franc E. Kendig resides on West Market with her mother and father's sister, with her little family around her. She and husband are members of the Congregational Church.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
MARTHA CROUCH is a representative of one of the old families of Richland county, Ohio.  She is a native of Washington County, Pennsylvania, and came with her parents to this county in 1850.  Here her father, Boyd Mercer Crouch purchased the farm upon which his two daughters now reside, and the old buildings still stand that were erected here over eighty years ago.  They have been mute witnesses of the many changes which have occurred, and are landmarks in the locality.  For a long period the father carried on general agricultural pursuits, bringing his land under a high state of cultivation, and converting it into very productive fields.  In his family were the following children:  Maria, now the wife of Rev. Charles Knepper, a resident of Pennsylvania; Martha, who is living on the old homestead; James, deceased; and Belle, who resides with her sister Martha.  There was also one child who died in infancy.
     Mr. Crouch was accounted one of the worthy farmers and reliable business men.  He worked diligently year after year in cultivating his crops and as the years passed he won a fair measure of success.  In relation to community affairs he also won a fair measure of success.  In relation to community affairs he also manifested a progressive spirit, always desiring the welfare of the county.  In his dealings he was ever reliable, and those who knew him entertained for him warm regard in recognition of his sterling worth.  He died in 1902 and his wife passed away about the same time, both being in their eightieth year when called to their final rest.
     The two daughters, Martha and Bell Crouch, still reside upon the old homestead and give personal supervision to the operation of the farm of eighty acres, manifesting good business ability in its control.  They are both members of the United Presbyterian church, and are held in high esteem in the community where they have now resided for more than a half century.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
FRANKLIN PAUL CRUM is one of the extensive landowners of Sharon township.  He inherited valuable property interests and although fate thus aided him at the outset of his career, he has displayed in the conduct of his property sound business judgment and keen sagacity, and in all of his relations has manifested that irreproachable business integrity which is one of the most valuable assets in a successful career.  He was born January 25, 1879, on the farm on section 12, Sharon township, where he now makes his home.
     His father, Michael Crum, was born in Adams county, Pennsylvania, March 25, 1832, and was a son of Moses and Margaret (Rex) Crum, whose family numbered four sons and two daughters.  The sons always followed the occupation of farming, which was also the life work of their father, who removed to Sharon township with his family in 1840.  The previous year he had walked the entire distance from his home in Pennsylvania to Ohio in order to look over the country where he wished to settle.  Being pleased with the district and its future prospects he returned home, hitched four horses to his wagon and with his family and household goods started for the then new country.  They settled on a farm where Michael Crum spent nearly his entire life and in the early days the family bore all the experiences and hardships incident to a frontier experience.  The death of Moses Crum occurred on this farm September 28, 1873, when he had reached the age of eighty-five years, eight months and twenty-seven days.  His first purchase of land consisted of eighty acres of timber, which he cleared and improved, and afterward he bought the adjacent property, which is now in possession of Franklin P. Crum.  His children were:  Elizabeth, who died April 2, 1874; Daniel, who died February 21, 1901; Mollie, deceased; Jacob, who resides near Tiro, Crawford county, Ohio; George, who died in 1897; and the father of our subject.
     Michael Crum aided in the arduous task of developing the wild land, performing his share of the work of the fields, and as opportunity afforded he acquired his education in the public schools.  At the time of the Civil war he offered his services to the government in defense of the Union, enlisting for nine months as a member of Company F of the Eighty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Although his time expired two days before the battle of Gettysburg, he did not leave the army, for he felt that his service was still needed.  He entered that engagement and was wounded in both legs by a minie ball on the first day of the engagement.  His oldest brother had been drafted for the war, and as he had a family to support Michael Crum had volunteered in his place, saying to his brother, "Jacob, I will go in your place."  He did so and with his regiment was attached to the Second Brigade of the Third Division of the Second Army Corps.  After being wounded he was taken prisoner, but the next day the rebels retreated and he was left once more among friends.  He was then removed to the county infirmary, which was being used as an army hospital.  The place was only about ten miles from the place of his birth and a friend visiting the hospital recognized him and notified his people, who cam e and cared for him.  From this wound, however, he suffered to his dying day.  As soon as he had sufficiently recovered he received an honorable discharge and returned home.
     On the 28th of September, 1876, Michael Crum was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Coble, a daughter of Christian and Mary (Gartner) Coble, who were among the early settlers of Richland county and assisted materially in its development and progress.  In their family were four sons and five daughters, eight of whom are living.  In the spring following his marriage Mr. Crum erected an elegant residence upon his farm about a mile west of Shelby and there he maintained his home until his death, which occurred February 19, 1904.  The community had learned to esteem and honor him as a prominent and representative citizen and as a successful business man, and his death, therefore, was the occasion of deep and widespread regret.  His wife died October 16, 1906, at the age of sixty-three years.
     Franklin Paul Crumr, reared under the parental roof, is now the owner of valuable farm property, which came to him by inheritance from his father, grandfather and other relatives.  The home place practically comprises two farms, aggregating two hundred acres, and it was upon this tract that his grandfather, Moses C., settled in 1839.  He also owns one hundred and sixty-four acres, covering the northwest quarter of section 2, Sharon township.  The three farms which came to him are now well improved with good buildings, in fact the buildings upon the home place are especially substantial and attractive and are always kept in a state of good repair.  Mr. Crum gives his personal supervision to both of these farms, while he rents the place of one hundred and sixty-four acres on section 2.  He lives a busy life, his time being fully occupied with the work of carrying on the farms, which he does in a most progressive manner.
     On the 28th of September, 1898, Mr. Crum was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Smith, a native of Shiloh, Richland county, and a daughter of Ira Smith.  Two children have been born to them:  Clifford and Waldo.  As a representative of one of the pioneer families Mr. Crum well deserves mention in this volume, but is even more entitled to representation from the fact that his entire life has gained him a place with the leading and prominent residents of the community.  He is active and enterprising in business, loyal in his citizenship, and pays the utmost regard to the duties which he owes his fellowmen.  In manner he is social and genial and has a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908)
JOHN W. CULLEN is pleasantly located just outside the corporation limits of Shelby on West Main street, where he has four acres of land surrounding a comfortable and attractive home, which he erected in 1892.  For forty years he had resided upon the farm in Sharon township, where his birth occurred August 10, 1848, and he is still the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 2, from which he annually derives a good rental.  His parents were Jarvis and Mary (Jackson) Cullen, both of whom were native of Lincolnshire, England.
     The father was born July 14, 1803, and they were married in Richland county, Ohio, May 18, 1845.  He had left England for America April 21, 1844, in company with his brother William.  After reaching the United States he remained for one year in New York, where he was employed at farm labor, and then removed to Huron county, Ohio, whence he afterward came to Richland county and purchased the farm now owned by our subject.  He first invested in one hundred acres and later bought eighteen acres, while thirty-two acres have been added by John W. Cullen.  This land the father cleared and placed under cultivation and remained upon the farm until his death, which occurred November 6, 1884.  His wife came to the United States with the exception of Thomas and Maria, who died in England.  The daughter Mary became the wife of Jarvis Cullen and to them were born two children, but the daughter died in infancy, leaving John W. Cullen the only child.  The father was a devoted member of the Baptist church and led a quiet home life.
     Under the parental roof John W. Cullen was reared, while the public schools and Oberlin College afforded him his educational privileges.  He was early trained to the work of the fields and was thus well qualified for carrying on farming when he started out in life on his own account.  For forty years he lived on the farm and through the period of his manhood worked diligently and persistently to make the place productive.  That he succeeded is indicated in the excellent appearance of the farm and also in the fact that he is now practically living retired.  In June, 1892, he built his present home just outside the corporation limits of Shelby, where it stands in the midst of well kept grounds covering four acres.  In addition to the home farm, which he owns, he has eighty acres in Plymouth township and forty acres of timber land in Vernon township, Crawford county.  He has been a stockholder in the Citizens Bank of Shelby since its organization, is a stockholder in the building and loan association and is interested in the Shelby Land & Improvement Company.  He displays keen sagacity in business affairs and his investments have been carefully made.
     In October, 1872, Mr. Cullen was married to Miss Sarah I. Myers, who was born January 1, 1849, and is a daughter of John and Mary (Hockinsmith) Myers, who were natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in 1808 and the latter in 1811.  They went to Stark county, Ohio, with their respective parents and were married there, after which they removed to Richland county, settling on a farm three miles west of Shelby, where their remaining days were passed.  Mr. Myers died at the age of eighty-seven years, while his wife died at the age of eighty-one.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Cullen have been born three children:  Corrine, who died at the age of nine months; Trenna, the wife of Reuben Sutter, of Shelby; and Ethel, at home.
     In his political views Mr. Cullen has always been a stalwart republican and keeps well informed on the questions of the day.  He has served as township trustee for one term, but has never been a politician in the sense of office seeking.  He belongs to the Lutheran church, to the support of which he contributes generously.  He stands today as one of the prominent citizens of Richland county, a man widely recognized for his excellent business ability, for his loyalty in citizenship and his progressiveness in every relation of life.  He ahs many stanch friends and well deserves mention in this volume.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II)
FRANK S. CULP, engaged in the practice of law at Butler and manifesting in his professional career an ability which promises well for future success, was born in Marion, Ohio, July 26, 1874, his parents being Jacob and Mary Katharine (Fullmer) Culp.  The father was born in Germany on the 10th of April, 1829, and the mother's birth occurred in the same country, Nov. 18, 1836.  She crossed the Atlantic to the new world in 1854, when a young lady of seventeen years, and Jacob Culp made the long voyage across the ocean in1856.  He first located in Marion, Ohio, and in 1858 was married.  He is a stone-mason and followed his trade in Marion for twenty years, being closely associated with building operations in the city during that time.  He was an excellent workman and many contracts were therefore awarded him, so that as the years passed he prospered in his undertakings and acquired through his well directed labors a handsome competence which enabled him to live retired.  He died April 4, 1896, and his widow now resides on the farm near La Rue, Marion County.  Their family numbered ten children: Jacob W., a resident of Mead, Kansas; Susan D., the wife of Henry E. Muth, of Mansfield; John H., who lives near Mount Victory, Ohio; Charles, whose home is in Delaware county, this state; George, deceased; Mary, the wife of George E. Muth, of Mansfield; one who died in infancy; W. A., a resident of Columbus; Frank S., of this review; and S. Arthur,  who is living with mother on the home farm.
     Although born in the city of Marion, Frank S. Culp was only two years of age when his parents removed to the farm, so that his education was acquired in the district schools.  He left home at the age of seventeen years to start out in life on his own account and has since been dependent upon his own resources, so that he deserves much credit for what he has accomplished in life.  On the 2d of April, 1892, he went to Mansfield and worked for one summer at the carpenter's trade, but ambitious to direct his efforts into lines demanding keen intellectual force, in the fall of that year he attended the Ohio Business College at Mansfield and was graduated April 12, 1893.  He then went to work in the grocery and bakery of E. P. Croft, with whom he remained for five months.  He was afterward in the employ of John Frederick, a merchant tailor and clothier, and later he again attended the Ohio Business College.
     Being taken sick, he lay ill of brain fever and grip for eleven weeks, and it was following this that he began reading law as a student in the office of Donnell & Marriott at Mansfield.  He began his studies on the 8th of June, 1894.  As his financial resources rendered it imperative that he provide for his own support, he worked for the street car company as a conductor during the summer months and attended school during the winter.  Thus four years passed and in the following spring he suffered from an attack of appendicitis that kept him in bed for nine weeks.  He then again entered the employ of the street car company, but after six weeks was obliged to give up the position on account of his health.  In March, 1899, he took the law examination at Columbus, became ill there and was taken to the hospital, where he underwent an operation for appendicitis that kept him confined to the house for eleven weeks.  On his recovery he worked at the carpenter's trade for six months and later attended the university of Ada, where he pursued a special course in law, being admitted to the bar on the 14th of October, 1899.  In May, 1900, he located for practice in Butler, where he has since remained.  The many obstacles and difficulties which he encountered serve to emphasize the fact that he is a man of resolute spirit and unfaltering determination, carrying forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes.  Entering upon the practice of law, he has displayed marked ability in handling intricate problems of the profession.  He prepares his cases with great thoroughness and care and his analytical power enables him to arrive to correct deductions, while in the courts he never fails to present his cause with a strength and force that are always feared by his adversaries and have brought him some notable successes.  In addition to his professional duties, Mr. Culp is a representative of business interests, in that he is a stockholder and director of the Butler Manufacturing Company, and was one of the promoters of the Fredericktown Oil & Gas Company, of which he is now a director and secretary.  He is likewise a director and secretary of the Butler Milk Bottle Company and displays in his business affairs keen discernment as well as untiring energy.
     On the 16th of June, 1901, Mr. Culp was married to Miss Myra M. Covert, who was born at South Fork, Pennsylvania, Dec. 25, 1878, and is the daughter of Rev. W. M. and Eleonora (Wheeler) Covert, both of whom are natives of Pennsylvania, now living at Burlington, Kansas, where the father is pastor of the First Presbyterian church.  He has devoted much of his life to the work of the ministry and his influence has never been of a restricted order.  In his family were seen children.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Culp have been born two children: Frances L., Feb. 11, 1904; and Katherine E., born Feb. 15, 1906.
     The parents are both members of the Evangelical church and are prominent socially, while their own home is attractive by reason of its warm-hearted hospitality.  In his political views Mr. Culp is a stalwart democrat and is always able to support his position by intelligent argument.  He has served as mayor of Butler for one term, has been justice of the peace for two terms, and at the present writing is township treasurer.  He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, his membership being in the lodge at Butler, and he is connected with the Knights of the Maccabees at Mansfield.  For three terms he has been district deputy in the Odd Fellows organization and is very prominent in its ranks.  The life record of Mr. Culp is another proof of the fact is that:

"The man who wins is the man who works,
The man who toils while the next man shirks."

Throughout his entire life he has utilized his advantages in every possible way and while he has met obstacles and difficulties that would have utterly disheartened and discouraged and another, his resolute purpose has enabled him to triumph over these and to make substantial progress where others would have met failure.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908 - page 1058

DAVID W. CUMMINS, a capable representative of the profession of law to which the public must look for the conservation of its interests and the protection of its rights and privileges, is now enjoying a liberal patronage that is accorded only in recognition of genuine merit and capability.  A native of Shelby, Ohio, he was born Aug. 13, 1867, and is the younger of a family of two children, his sister being Mary C., now the wife of Judge Lewis Brucker, who is her brother's law partner.  Their parents were David and Angeline P. (Taylor) Cummins.  The father was born in Auburn township, Crawford county, Ohio, which was then a part of Richland county.  For many years he engaged in merchandising in Shelby and in the latter years of his life was a traveling representative of a New York commission house.  He was very well known in this section of the state and was prominent in the affairs of the northern part of the county.  He died in Shelby, Jan. 13, 1899.  His wife, a native of Jackson township, Richland county, belonged to one of the pioneer families of this part of the state, who came from Connecticut in the early portion of the nineteenth century.  She still survives at the age of seventy years. 
     While spending his boyhood days in his parents' home, David W. Cummins pursued his education in the public schools and afterward attended Witenberg College at Springfield, Ohio.  Thus he gained a good literary knowledge to serve as a foundation for his professional learning, when in 1891 he began preparation for the bar, reading law while employed as deputy clerk of the probate court of this county.  Later he resigned his position and completed his law studies in the office of Skiles & Skiles at Shelby and was admitted to the bar in December, 1894.  Shortly afterward he returned to Mansfield, where he entered upon the active practice of his profession and in 1897 he became associated with Lewis Brucker, which partnership has continued up to the present time.  He engages in general practice and his clientage is large and of distinctively representative character.  He has confined his attention almost exclusively to his practice and is an able lawyer, diligent in research, careful in the preparation of his cases and clear and concise in his presentation of his cause in the courts.  Moreover, he is systematic and methodical in habit, sober and discreet in judgment and devotedly attached to his profession.
     On the 23d of June, 1897, Mr. Cummins was married to Miss Jane David, a daughter of P. K. David, of Garrett, Indiana, and they have one son, David R., who was born Oct. 26, 1901.  Mr. Cummins owns his own home at No. 32 Sherman avenue, which he built in 1903.  He is a member of Mansfield Lodge No. 35, F. & A. M.; the Mansfield Lodge of Elks; Madison Lodge K. of P.; Mansfield Camp of the Woodmen of the World; and Mansfield Tent of the Knights of Maccabees.  He also belongs to the Phi Gama Delta, a college fraternity.  Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise he has been a democrat and has been active in the local ranks of his party since attaining his majority.  In April, 1908, he received its nomination for the office of probate judge.  He is an active member of the Central Methodist Episcopal church of Mansfield.  His interests are those of a public-spirited citizen who recognizes that there is more to life than the winning of financial independence and is never neglectful of his duties to his fellowmen and his city.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - from 1808 to 1908 by A. J. Baughman - Chicago: The J. S. Clarke Publishing Co. 1908 - Page 576)
 
F. H. CUNNINGHAM, who is familiarly known as "Ted" Cunningham, is well and favorably known as New London, where he has a confectionery and news agency.  He was born at Bellville, Richland County, Aug. 30, 1894, the son of George D. and Olive (Gurney) Cunningham.
     George D. Cunningham
, was born at South Charleston, Ohio.  He spent a number of years in business at Bellville, as the owner of a grain elevator, which had been established by his father, Amzi Cunningham.  He then entered the railway mail service and has been thus employed for a period of 40 years.  He and his wife have been residents of Sandusky, Ohio, since 1914.  Mr. Cunningham is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church, and belongs to the Masonic Lodge and Knights of Pythias.  To Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham were born four children: Helen, married George Healea, lives at Columbus; Florence, married H. P. Kochheiser, lives at Cleveland; F. H., the subject of this sketch; and Lewis lives at Sandusky.
     F. H. Cunningham was reared and educated at Belleville and is a graduate of Bellville High School, class of 1911.  He began his business career in New London as a clerk in the employ of the Ward-Stilson Company.  Later he conducted a cigar and tobacco business at Elyria, Ohio, and in 1914 returned to New London, with the American Express Company.  Two years later he became a traveling representative of the C. E. Ward Company, with whom he was identified continuously from 1916 until 1930.  He resigned in the latter year and has since been proprietor of a confectionery and news agency in this city.
     Mr. Cunningham is a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church, and belongs to Floral Lodge, F. & A. M., No. 260;  William F. Kuhn Chapter, R. A. M., No. 139, Kansas City, Mo.; Norwalk Council, R. & S. M. M., No. 24; East Gate Commandery, K. T., No. 70, Kansas City; Consistory of Western Missouri, No. 2, Kansas City; Aahmes Grotto, M. O. V. P. E. R., Ardmore, Okla.; Mahi Temple, Miami, Fla.; Royal Order of Jesters, Miami, Fla.; New London Shrine Club; and Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  He also belongs to the Ashland Country Club.
     Mr. Cunningham has a son, G. Darwin Cunningham.
Source: North Central Ohio Biographies embracing Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron & Knox Counties by William A. Duff - 3 vols. 1931 - Page 903
OLIVER L. CUNNINGHAM, a well known and representative member of the Mansfield bar, has so utilized his native powers that he has gained a position of considerable distinction in the difficult and arduous profession of the law.  One of the native sons of this city, he was born Aug. 1, 1872, and his life history, largely familiar to his fellow townsmen, has been such as has won for him the respect of all with whom he has been associated.
     He is descended from one of the old Colonial families.  His great-grandfather, Robert Cunningham, came to America in his boyhood days from the vicinity of Belfast, Ireland, and espousing the cause of the colonies at the time of the Revolutionary war, he served as a private under General Wayne.  He had three children: Mary, Francis and Robert James Cunningham.  The last named was the grandfather of our subject and was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania.  He early learned the tailor's trade and became one of the pioneer settlers of Lexington, Ohio, where he carried on business.  He married Martha Lewis, a representative of one of the earliest families of Richland county and one of the best known at that day.  Their family numbered five daughters and a son.  Of the daughters Mrs. Samantha Campbell resides
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II - Publ. 1908 - Page 760)

NOTES:

CLICK HERE  to RETURN to
RICHLAND COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express by Sharon Wick.     2008 Submitters retain all copyrights