OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Richland County,
 Ohio

BIOGRAPHIES

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

GEORGE BAKER, stonemason, and grocery and provision merchant: he was born in Prussia June 9, 1816; learned the trade of stonemason; came to Mansfield Aug. 29, 1848. Married in the old country, Feb. 10, 1842, to Mary Nips, with whom he has raised six children-Peter, born in Germany Sept. 18, 1842; Lizzie, born in Germany Feb. 6, 1847; Rena, born in Mansfield Aug. 2, 1849 ; George, born in Mansfield Feb. 8, 1856; William, July 3, 1858; Emma Louisa, March 12, 1861. Mr. Baker has resided in Mansfield thirty-two years, and is one of the representative German citizens; has been a member of the German Secret Relief Society since Nov. 16, 1850.
Source#1: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880
J. B. BALLIET was born upon the farm and in the same house which he now occupies, his natal day being Mar. 9, 1842.  This is the old homestead farm of Steven Balliet and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Catharine Haferman.  The parents were both natives of Carbon county, Pennsylvania, and were born in the year 1813.  They became residents of Richland county, Ohio, during the pioneer epoch in its history, settling here in 1837.  Their children were three in number: George W., a resident of Mansfield; J. B., whose name introduces this review; and Joseph L, also of Mansfield.  When Steven Balliet arrived in Richland county more than seven decades ago he purchased the farm which is now the home of his son, J. B. Balliet, and with characteristic energy began its cultivation and improvement, making his home thereon until his death and becoming recognized as one of the substantial and respected agriculturists of the community.
     As boy and youth J. B. Balliet worked upon the home farm, giving his father the benefit of his services until he was twenty-one years of age.  He then started out in life on his own account and made investment in a farm of ninety-two acres in Wyandot county, Ohio.  Taking up his abode upon that property he lived there for seven years, after which he sold out and removed to Nevada, where he was engaged in the hardware business for ten years.  On the expiration of that period he sold his store and turned his attention to the livery business, which he also conducted in the same town in Nevada for a period of twelve years.  On disposing of his livery barn he returned to Richland county and took up his abode upon the farm which he now owns and occupies, comprising eighty-five acres of productive land on section23, Madison township.  The soil is naturally rich and productive and returns golden harvests to him in reward for the care and labor he bestows upon the fields.
     In 1863 Mr. Balliet was married to Miss Ellen Schultz, a native of Richland county and one of a family of eight children.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Balliet were born two daughters and a son, as follows:  Emma, the wife of Abe Balliet of Richland county; and Calvin and Margaret, both of whom are deceased.  The wife and mother passed away in 1870 and in 1872 Mr. Balliet again married, his second union being with Miss Mary J. Moran, a daughter of John and Catharine (Oaks) Moran, who were natives of Ireland and came to America at an early day.  Her father died in 1862 and her mother passed away in 190.  They were the parents of six children.  By the second marriage of Mr. Balliet there were born three children but two of the number died in infancy, the surviving daughter being Catharine, the wife of A. L. Lober of Cleveland, Ohio.
     Mr. Balliet votes with the democratic party but has never sought nor desired office, preferring to concentrate his ___g__s upon his business affairs.  Throughout his entire life he has been a man of industry and enterprise, carefully conducting his business interests, and the success he has achieved is attributable entirely to his own labors and careful management.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - from 1808 to 1908 by A. J. Baughman - Chicago: The J. S. Clarke Publishing Co. 1908 - Page 892)
T. R. BARNES.  An able business man and a citizen of broad public spirit, T. R. Barnes has been a notable figure in the life and affairs of Mansfield.  He was born near Salem, in Mahoning County, Ohio, on a farm, the son of R. A. and Avarila Ann (Gilbert) Barnes.
     R. A. Barnes was born in Maryland, as was his wife.  They came to Ohio in 1858 and settled on a farm near Salem.  T. R. Barnes received a public school education and came to Mansfield when he was 21 years of age.  For four years he was an employe of the Adams Express Company, and then became secretary of the Humphrey Manufacturing Company, a concern which engaged in the manufacture of pumps.  While there Mr. Barnes acquired a practical knowledge of pump manufacture and with that experience and some capital he became interested in the promotion of the Barnes Manufacturing Company in 1895.  He is chairman of the board of directors.
     The Barnes Manufacturing Company was organized with a capital stock of $100,000.  The industry has grown and steadily prospered, and in 1920 the capital was increased to $500,000.  From the beginning Mr. Barnes had been secretary and general manager, and at the date of its reorganization he was made chairman of the board of director.  C. Gorman is president.
     The Barnes Manufacturing Company is a concern that has had much to do with making Mansfield known to the out side world as a source of manufactured products.  Its output consists of house and farm pumps, hand and power pumps of all kinds, pumps operated by electric and gas power, and pumping machinery for oil wells and highway road construction.  A few yeas ago a line of portable power pumping units was added for contractors' uses.  The company also manufactures sanitary porcelain enamel ware.
     In its early history the company employed about 50 men, as compared with its present pay roll of 250.  The plant and equipment represent an investment of approximately $700,000.
     Mr. Barnes has been connected with a number of Mansfield's progressive institutions.  He is a director of the Mansfield Savings & Trust Company, director of the Mansfield Wire Spoke Company, director and president of the Buckeye Tempered Copper & Brass Company, director of the Superior Brass Company, vice president and director of the Citizens Savings & Loan Company, director of the Richland Mutual Insurance Company, director of Memorial Park and Chairman of the Board of the Conservancy District.  He is also director in the Mansfield-Leland Hotel.  He has been a contributor to all worthy public causes and acted as chairman of the Community Chest during the World War.
     Mr. Barnes married Miss Lida R. Scott, a daughter of George Scott,  a veteran employe of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.  Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have a daughter, Ruth, who is the wife of James C. Gorman.  He is a graduate of Lehigh University, and is president of the Barnes Manufacturing Company.  Mrs. Gorman is a graduate of Smith College, Northampton, Mass., and is prominently identified with social work in Mansfield. 
     Mr. Barnes is a member of the county executive committee of the Republican party, is past president of City Club, and for six years was a member of the board of trustees of the Presbyterian Church.  He also has served as a member of the city council.  H belongs to Mansfield Lodge, No. 35, F. & A. M.; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M.; Mansfield Council; R. & S. M. M.; Mansfield Commandery, K. T. No. 21; Dayton Consistory, 32d degree; and Al Koran Temple; and Jesters of Cleveland.  He is also a member of the Kiwanis Club.
     Mr. Barnes recently built an attractive home on Woodlawn Road, just within the city limits of Mansfield.  His beautiful flower gardens are a source of much pride and pleasure to Mr. Barnes.
Source#3:
North Central Ohio Biographies embracing Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron & Knox Counties by William A. Duff - 3 vols. 1931
MORDECAI BARTLEY, deceased, thirteenth Governor elected by the people of Ohio, was born in Fayette Co., Penn., Dec. 18,1783. In 1804, he married Miss Welles, and five years afterward removed to Jefferson Co., Ohio, where, upon the bank of that river, near the mouth of Cross Creek, he purchased a farm and engaged in the business of agriculture. Here his peaceful labors were interrupted by the declaration of the war of 1812, when, in a few weeks, be enlisted a company of volunteers, who elected him their Captain, and took the field under Gen. Harrison. At the close of the war, he removed to the almost unbroken wilderness of Richland Co., when Mansfield was the principal settlement; west of that place he secured a sufficiently large space to satisfy him, and there, with his ax, he opened a clearing in the forest, and erected his home. Upon this farm, he worked diligently and successfully several years, and then, removing to Mansfield with the savings of his long years of farm labor, he entered into mercantile business. He early developed a character that won the confidence of those that knew him beat, for, is 1817, he was elected to the State Senate, and appointed by the State Legislature to the then important position of Register of the Land Office. This gave him charge of the Virginia military district school lands. In 1823; he was elected to Congress, and served Pour terms, when he declined re-election. In Congress, he was the first to propose the conversion of the land grants of Ohio into a permanent. food for the support of the common school, and secured an appropriation for the harbors of Cleveland, Sandusky City, Huron and Vermillion. In 1844, having retired from Congress, and engaged in mercantile and agricultural business, he was elected Governor of Ohio on the Whig ticket. Both parties have testified to the ability of his administration. In 1846, the war with Mexico was strongly opposed by the anti-slavery people of Ohio, they regarding its proclamation in the interest of slavery extension, and, in response to the call for troops, they were not in favor of Ohio filling her quota, but Gov Bartley mentioned chat Ohio, in common with every other State, was constitutionally bound to reaped the requisitions of the National Government. He therefore adopted the proper measures, and the necessary number of volunteers were enlisted, and transferred to the authorities under his personal supervision. The messages he wrote during his administration were papers of ability, end plainly made apparent. his thorough knowledge of the rather complex system of United State Government. He declined a second nomination, though strongly urged to accept, and, returning to his home, at Mansfield, he passed the evening of his life in the retirement of his family, dividing his attention between the practice of his profession as a lawyer, and in the management of his farm near that city. He died Oct. 10, 1870.
(Mansfield, Ohio)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Page 687
MRS. ELIZABETH BAUGHMAN, daughter of James and Hannah Cunningham, was born near Black Hand, Licking Co., Ohio, March 8, 1805 her mother dying when she was only 6 months old. she was raised by her grandfather, Michael Statler, a farmer near Black hand. After her father's second marriage, be removed to this Richland county, where he figured prominently in the early history of this section of Ohio. In 1819, the subject of this sketch joined her father's family in this county, they residing at that time in the Clear Fork Valley, below Newville, near what is now known as St. John's Church.  The change from her grandfather Statler's a wealthy farmer in a more civilized county to the hardships and privations of pioneer life here was not a pleasant transition, and was made only because of her father's request. Her grandfather, she says, was one of the kindest and best of men, but she, then is her 16th year, with a deep sense of filial duty, left a home of wealth, comfort and ease, for a cabin in the rude wilderness, where property and life were alike insecure from the savages and wild beasts of the forest. The journey from Black Hand to St. John's was made in a sled, in the month of January, 1819, is two days, stopping over night near Mount Vernon. Sept. 27, 1825, she was married to Jacob Baughman, who had succeeded to his father's farm, now known as the Dome farm, near Walnut Hall School-house, in Monroe Township, this county. Soon afterward, her husband sold the Dome farm and bought eighty acres of land, situated between the Lowrey (now Welty), and the Stoul farms, where he erected a cabin and they commenced housekeeping. He afterward sold and bought a number of farms, living at different intervals, in Monroe, Worthington and Jefferson Townships, but returned to Monroe, where be died, March 20, 1855, aged 63 years; he was buried at Perrysville. Mrs. Baughman then removed to Bellville, where she resided until 1869, when she removed to Mansfield, where she has since resided. She is the mother of five children-Mary C. (wife of Abraham Lash), Hannah L. (wife of David Herring) deceased; Margaret C., deceased (wife of Freeman Carlile). Abraham J. Baughman and Sade E. Baughman; the two latter, remaining single, have always lived with their mother. Mrs. Baughman possesses an organization of wonderful tenacity, and is of that wiry physical constitution, well-knit and close-fibered, that accompanies a character of great ambition, high spirit end wonderful endurance. While mild and persuasive, yet she always possessed that degree of positive energy that would not give up or back down, no matter what obstacles were in her way. She worked hard suffered much, and accomplished much. But she has seen the shadows of life's adversities succeeded by the sunshine of prosperity, and has lived to realize the full fruition of the glorious promise, "Your children shall rise up and call you blessed."
     She is of a hopeful disposition and her great strength has consisted in being able to look at the bright side of things. Her mirthfulness gives her power of sarcasm and considerable pungency of speech. She is no fox in character, but frank and outspoken, and would never toady to say one. Although not schooled in physiognomy, she could always read faces almost unerringly. She has the mental temperament of the Intellectual organization. Is causal, systematic and industrious, and, believing that application will accomplish almost anything, she never had patience with the idle and fickle. Without trying, she always made friends wherever she want, and the tones of her voice would skins win her way anywhere. She united with the Disciple Church in June, 1838, of which organization she has ever since been a worthy and consistent member. Her sympathies are warm, and in sickness she is tender and attentive. In the home circle, as a mother, her children say she is without a peer. Mrs. Baughman is five feet and one inch in height, weighs 105 pounds, erect in poise and symmetrical in build.
     March 8, 1880, upon the occasion of her attaining her 75th year, a pioneer birthday party was given her at the family residence, No. 100 South Main st., Mansfield, which was the first pioneer social party ever held in Richland Co.; about fifty guests were present, one of whom, Mrs. Solomon Gladden, was a contemporaneous pioneer with Mrs Baughman and was present at her wedding fifty-five years ago ; the exercises commenced at 6 o'clock, with music; the ballad, "We Meet Today;" composed and set to music by Prof. Pontius, was sung by Miss Kate Eichelberger, Prof. Pontius at the organ ; after which a pioneer sketch, written by a pioneer's daughter, Mrs. Dr. Patterson, daughter of Solomon Gladden (who performed the marriage ceremony for Mr. and Mrs. Baughman), was read by Mrs. Richard, wife of Prof. J. Fraise Richard, of the Normal College, on account of the unavoidable absence of Mrs. Patterson; music was furnished by Prof. Will H. Pontius, Miss Kate Eichelberger and Mrs. W. L. Gaston; other fine selections were rendered by the trio; later in the evening, Miss Mary Cox sang end played. Gen. Brinkerhoff being the patron saint of the pioneers of Richland Co., was first called upon for an address "appropriate to the occasion." He responded in a neat little speech complimentary to the pioneers and "their times," as follows:
     "The occasion which has called us together this evening, is one of more than usual interest; birthday celebrations are always pleasant occasions, and we are happy to meet and greet our friends at their recurrence, but yet some birthdays are more interesting than others, sad this is one of them. The lady in whose honor we meet to-night, and whom we ere glad to find upon her 76th birthday cheerful and happy, not in the winter of life, but in the golden autumn time, is one of the living witnesses of the childhood of our city. Seventy-five years, when we look forward, seems a long time, but looking backward it is not so long, and I have no doubt the incidents recalled by Mrs. Patterson, when Elizabeth Cunningham was a girl, seem to Mrs. Baughman but recent memories. In fact, with us all, it is our early recollections that test the longest. In our sleep we do not locate our dreams amid recent surroundings; but we go back to the homes of our childhood. Mrs. Baughman's father, Capt. James Cunningham, was among the first settlers of Mansfield, and, in the year 1809, when Mansfield first had a habitation and a name, he lived in its first cabin on the Sturges corner. Mrs. Baughman at that time was with her grandfather in Licking Co., but ten years later she removed to Richland Co. where she has since been a resident. Since then Mansfield has become a populous city, and a massive block of brick and stone occupies the site of the little log cabin on Sturges' corner; and instead of the drum of the pheasant and the hoot of the owl in the leafy wood lands, we have for music the whistle of the locomotive and the clangor of machinery in the huge and smoky factories. We have churches and schools, busy mills, and all the pride, pomp and panoply of wealth and position and fame; and yet, I doubt very much if we have the wisdom, or patriotism, or sincerity, or happy uses of those among whom Mrs. Baughman passed the early years of life. Thirty years ago, when I came to Mansfield, very many of the early pioneers were still living, and they seemed to me men of larger mold and broader sympathies than those of this later generation. It was this fact that led me to seek to preserve some record of their lives, and very soon commenced to gather some of their history, and, after twenty-five years of waiting, a man who has a genius for writing history has come to complete the work, and we hope very soon to put into print an enduring record of the giants of those early days, who founded the civilization; of Richland Co. Mr. Graham is with us to-night and I doubt not he will bear out my estimate of the worth of our early pioneers. Mrs. Baughman's father was one of them, and Mrs. Patterson's father was another. I do not remember to have met Capt. Cunningham, but I knew Solomon Gladden very well, and he was a typical pioneer, massive in body and massive in mind. Reuben Evarts, who is here to-night and whom present to you a sample of the early pioneers; knew all of these men in their prime, and I hope be will tell us something about them.  However, years have come and years have gone, and the great globe swung in its mighty orbit around the sun, these mighty men of valor passed out into the infinite, and of those who knew them and were among them, of them about the only one who remains in Mansfield now is Mrs. Baughman, whose birthday we celebrate to-night. She is happy in having lived to see the result of their labors, and we are happy in seeking to contribute to the enjoyment of this hour."
     After supper, the presents on the occasion were formally presented by Hon. M. May in a brief, but appropriated speech. Among the numerous presents we mention specially a beautiful China tea-set from, Elder G. M. Kemp, Gen. R. Brinkerhoff; Hon. M. May, S. E. Jenner, H. W. Albach, Capt. A. C. Cummins and J. Fraise Richard ; Elder Kemp, Mrs. Baughman's Pastor, followed, responding to Mr. May, accepting the presents in her behalf, in s speech brief, appropriate and touching in its pathos; Reuben Evarts, a real and well preserved representative pioneer, being called on, made some pleasing allusions to pioneer life and character, and presented an appropriate preamble and resolutions, which were adopted.
(Mansfield Township)
Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Page 688
THE BAUGHMAN FAMILY. The ancestor of the Baughman family came from Germany, and boated in Pennsylvania. The only knowledge the writer has of his family is of two sons-George and Abraham; and one daughter, married W Joseph Charles. George emigrated to Ohio in 1805, and settled in Mifflin Township, Franklin Co., where he spent the remainder of his life; he died at a ripe old age, and is buried at Gahanna; be was the father of the late Hon. Jesse Baughman, the founder of Gahanna, and one of the originators of the Franklin County Pioneer Association. Abraham was born on the Atlantic Ocean when his parents were en route for America. He married Mary Catherine Deeds, and removed from Cumberland to Washington Co., Penn., and afterward to Richland Co., Ohio, settling in Monroe Township is 1811; they had five sons and three daughters-Adam, John, Abraham, Jacob and George, sad Catherine, Elisabeth and Lovace; Catherine married a Mr. Black, of Tuscarawas Co.; Elizabeth married a Mr. Stewart, and removed to Tennessee, and Lovace married Mr. Gayman, of Pittsburgh; Adam married a Miss Huffman, and removed to Plain Township, Franklin Co., Ohio, and he and his wife are both interred on the Baughman farm there, where they lived and where they died; John married Elizabeth Wyandt, and settled in Wayne Co., Ohio, and the township in which he lived was named for him; Abraham married Susan Wyandt, and settled in Monroe Township, Richland Co., Ohio, where he died is 1848 ; his children were Margaret, wife of John Wolfe; David, married to Rebecca Wolfs; John, married to Catherine Castator; Aaron, married to Catherine Schrack; Peter, married to Elise Wyandt; George, married to Minerva Merrell; Elisabeth, wife of Simon McDanel; William, married to Rachel Slater; Abraham, married to Eliza Wrigton ; Susanna; Simon, married to Susan Mercer. Jacob Baughman married Elizabeth Cunningham; his life was principally passed in Monroe Township, Richland Co., where be died March 20, 1855, aged 63 years. They had five children-Mary C., married to Abraham Lash; ; Hannah L., married to David Herring; Margaret A., married to Freeman Carlile; Abraham J. and Sarah E.; the two latter remain single and live with their mother; they are printers, and publish the Mansfield Call; they have also published the Cleveland Temple Visitor, Mansfield (Ohio) Liberal, Canal Fulton Herald and Medina Democrat. George Baughman never married, and died is 1850.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
JOSEPH A. BAYER.  Prominent among the younger attorneys of Mansfield is Joseph A. Bayer, who has offices at 94 North Main Street.  He was born in Deutsch Stamora, Austria-Hungary, Oct. 24,1896, the son of Jacob and Magdalene (Egner) Bayer.
     Jacob Bayer
was born at Moravita, Austria-Hungary, now Serbia.  He was a civil and railroad engineer and died at Klopodia, Austria-Hungary, now Roumania, in 1902.  His widow, born of Gross Zsam, Austria-Hungary, now Roumania, resides at Mansfield.  Their children were: Martin, identified with the Mansfield Tire & Rubber Company, Mansfield; John, deceased;
Barbara, married Lorenz Jerger, lives at Mansfield; and Joseph A., the subject of this sketch.
     In early boyhood, Joseph A. Bayer removed to Wersetz, Austria-Hungary, now Serbia, with his parents, and received his education at that place.  He came to the United States with his mother in 1911 and completed his schooling in Mansfield, as a student for one year at St. Peter's parochial school, and two years at Mansfield High School, being graduated from the latter in 1914.  He spent the next two years as a machinist with the Roderick Lean Manufacturing Company, and then became associated with Anton Reiser, local contractor.  His next connection was with the Mansfield Tire & Rubber Company as assistant master mechanic, and he later returned to the Roderick Lean Manufacturing Company as assistant traffic manager.  Mr. Bayer spent some time as cashier of the Ohio Textile Products Company, and was assistant manager of the Constance Lumber Company, now the Home Materials Company.  During these years he had registered with the Supreme Court of Ohio, and read law in the office of attorney George W. Biddle, of Mansfield.  He was admitted to the Ohio bar, Jan. 26, 1824, and on Feb. 21, 1825, to the Federal Courts.  Mr. Bayer was also admitted to the Michigan State Courts, Oct. 8, 1829.
     Mr. Bayer has a daughter, Helen, who resides with her father.
     Politically, Mr. Bayer is a Democrat.  He is an active member of the Richland County, Ohio State, and American Bar Associations.
Source#3: North Central Ohio Biographies embracing Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron & Knox Counties by William A. Duff - 3 vols. 1931 - Pg. 623)

ARTHUR SHERIDAN BECK, who is serving as auditor of Richland County, is numbered among the popular public officials of North Central Ohio.  He was born at Mansfield, Sept. 17, 1886, the son of Charles and Della May (Hughes) Beck.
     Charles Beck has always lived in Mansfield.  As a young man he learned the blacksmith and took dressing trade, and remained in the employ of Aultman Taylor Company for a period of forty years.  He is now foreman in the shop of the Hughes-Keenan Company, Mansfield.  Mr. Beck is a Democrat, a member of the First Christian Church and Knights of Pythias.  His wife was born in Washington Twp., Richland County, Ohio, and died in 1924.  She is buried at Mansfield.  Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Beck: Arthur Sheridan, the subject of this sketch; and Ruth, married Carl Kahl, lives at Mansfield.
     Arthur Sheridan Beck attended the public schools of Mansfield and attended Ohio Business College after his graduation from Mansfield High School in 1905.  He was employed by the Ohio Brass Company until 1909, at which time he was employed by the office of the auditor of Richland County.  He served as deputy auditor until Feb. 1, 1927, and at that time was appointed auditor to fill the unexpired term of John A. Howard.  He was appointed auditor to fill the unexpired term of John A. Howard.  He was elected in November, 1928, for the balance of the term expiring in March, 1931.
     Mr. Beck was married in 1912 to Miss Mabel Stotts, a native of Richland County.  Mr. and Mrs. Beck have a son, Charles, born in 1918.
     Politically, Mr. Beck is a Democrat.  He holds membership in the First Christian Church and belongs to the Chamber of Commerce.  He has the following lodge affiliations:  Venus Lodge, No. 152, Free and Accepted Masons; Mansfield Chapter, R. A. M., No. 28; Mansfield Council R. and S. M., No. 94; Mansfield Commandery, K. T., No. 21; Scottish Rite, Valley of Dayton, District of Ohio; Baku Grotto, M. O. V. P. E. R.; and Knights of Pythias.
North Central Ohio Biographies embracing Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron & Knox Counties by William A. Duff - 3 vols. 1931 ~ Page 608

PETER BERNO, merchant, Mansfield, Ohio ; he was born in Rhein Pfaltz, a province of the Kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, and came to this country, with his parents, June 10, 1851, and to Mansfield, Ohio, June 18, 1851 ; his father's name was Jacob Berno, and his mother's Fredricka Profit. His grandfather, on his father's aide, was a soldier in the French army during the French Revolution, and, during the invasion of Germany by the French, was taken prisoner. He subsequently remained and became a citizen of that country. The name was originally spelled "Bernoux." The subject of this sketch was married to Christianna Bohm, whose parents were of German origin, and residents of Mansfield since 1850.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
 
PERKINS BIGELOW, druggist ; he was born in Marlboro, N. H., Nov. 11, 1814: here we find him a farmer boy, alternately attending school during the winter months, and working on his father's farm during the remainder of the year, until 18 years of age. The school being situated in a remote part of the district, young Bigelow was compelled to traverse several miles daily, in that bleak, winter climate, in order to gain that knowledge which has been so useful to him in his after life. Directly after leaving school, he was employed in dry goods, as clerk, for five years previous to his removal to Ohio ; arriving at Newark, be continued as a salesman in dry goods for three years, where, joining a colony for Texas in 1841, he accompanied them as far as Arkansas, then up the White River until near the boundary of the Cherokee Nation, undergoing the hardships incident to such a trip at that time. While there, be assisted in building the first log cabins of the colony, but soon after was compelled, by reason of sickness, to return to Newark, Ohio, where he entered a drug store, reading medicine at the same time; then to Mansfield, in the year 1847, on the same block in which he has continued in that business up to the present time, ranking now as the oldest living merchant in continuous business in Mansfield. During Dr. Bigelow's long and useful life in Mansfield, he had been prominently connected with all enterprises undertaken in the improvement of the city and the welfare of the inhabitants, and has frequently been called by them to positions of honor and trust. Elected as Mayor of the city in 1852, he was re-elected in 1853. For twenty years, he has been a useful member of the Cemetery Association, the plane and improvements of which have been, in a great measure, due to his judgment and skill. For fifteen years, he held the position of Worshipful Master of the Mansfield Masonic Lodge, and at present is a member of the Richland Mutual Insurance Co. Perking Bigelow was married in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1846, to Miss Anna Maria Palmer; they have two children-one son and one daughter.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
 
SHARPLESS E. BIRD, long connected with the St. James Hotel, in Mansfield, was born on the 20th of December, 1844; his father and mother, William and Jane (Sharpless) Bird are residents of this city. S. E. Bird was married July 4, 1869, in Mansfield, to Lizzie Vonhof, a daughter of Louis Vonhof, proprietor of the St. James building ; to them have been born four children, three of whom are dead and one living. Mr. Bird, though a young man, has aided in years past in giving Mansfield a high position by his skill in conducting one of the best hotels in the State; he is now engaged in the mercantile business.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
 
FRANK B. BLACK, who has been prominently identified with Mansfield's business interests, is a native of this city, born June 10, 1865.  His father, Moses Black, was born in Remelton, in the north of Ireland, and came to America in 1855, settling at Zanesville, Ohio, whence he removed to Mansfield in 1859.  He became a prominent factor in commercial circles of the latter city, conducting a dry-goods establishment until 1892, when he retired from active business.  He married Elizabeth Blymyer, a native of Shellsburg, Pennsylvania and a daughter of Benjamin Blymyer, who came to Mansfield.
     Frank B. Black acquired his education in the public schools of Mansfield and was graduated from the high school in 1885.  He then pursued a commercial course in Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie, New York, and upon finishing there he entered the employ of the Barnet Brass Company, of Mansfield, as bookkeeper where he remained for two years.  In 1888 he organized the Ohio Brass Company with a paid in capital of five thousand dollars.  This company, of which he is president, ahs grown to be one of the principal industries of Mansfield, with a paid up capital and surplus of over one million dollars, employing between five and six hundred workmen and doing a business of nearly two million dollars annually.
     Mr. Black, aside from the presidency of the Ohio Brass Company, is vice president of the Baxter Stove Company and a director of Citizens National Bank, the Seneca Chain Company and the Humphryes Manufacturing Company.
     On the 5th of October, 1892, Mr. Black was united in marriage to Miss Jessie M. Baxter, and they have four children:  John, Robert, Donald and Roger.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio from 1808 to 1908 - by A. J. Baughman - Vol. II)
 
JOSEPH H. BLACK, dealer in staple dry goods corner of Fourth and Main streets; was born in 1833 at Ballgreen County, Donegal, Ireland; emigrated in 1851 to McConnelsville, Morgan Co., Ohio ; engaged as salesman "with Thomas W. Simpson, in dry goods came to Mansfield in August, 1859 ; entered in partnership with Moses Black, under the firm name of M. & J. H. Black, dry goods; continued in partnership for sixteen years; dissolved in 1875, then resumed business in his own name; continues to do the largest exclusive dry-goods trade in the city. He is a very hard and earnest worker in the mercantile business; by his long experience and close application, is thoroughly posted on all matters connected with the dry-goods business, as he has been almost raised in a dry-goods store ; he is a solid, practical, business man, and an excellent financier. Was married in 1866 to Miss Alice G. Graham, daughter of Francis Graham, of Ashland, Ohio; their children are Mary, Augusta F , Joseph H., Jr., and William G. Black. Residence on Mulberry street, No. 45.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
 
S. P. BLOSER, retired ; he was born in Cumberland Co., Penn., in 1824; he came to Ohio in 1850. He was married in 1852 to Elizabeth Snyder, who was born in Lockport, N. Y.; they have one daughter-Minnie, who is married to Henry Uhlich.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
GEORGE WILEY BLYMYER.  Few men are more prominent or more widely known in the enterprising city of Mansfield than George W. Blymyer, president of the Blymyer Brothers Company, Hardware.  He was born on the 31st of October, 1839, in Schellburg, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, and is a son of Benjamin Blymyer, a native of Shippensburg, that state.  The father made his home in Schellburg for several years, all of his children being born there, and in 1843 bought his family to Ohio, locating in Mansfield where he embarked in the hardware business, which has been continued by his sons and grandsons up to the present day.  Theirs is the oldest established business in the city and has occupied the same location since 1849.  The father conducted a retail store until 1854, when his sons, William H. and Benjamin F., succeeded him under the name of Blymyer & Brother, and embarked in the wholesale business, theirs being the first wholesale house started in Mansfield to do a jobbing business throughout a large section of this state.  The jobbing houses of the city up to this time had confined themselves to their immediate locality.  After a useful and well spent life the father died in December, 1860, at the age of fifty-eight years.  He was a true type of the old fashioned gentleman, courteous, thoroughly reliable and ever true to his convictions.  He was known by nearly everyone throughout Richland county and was held in the highest respect.
     In 1858 Blymyer & Brother began the manufacture of a machine invented by D. M. Cook, a farmer of this county, to make sugar from sorghum, it being the first successful invention for that purpose.  Up to this time sorghum had been raised in this country only experimentally, but upon the introduction of this machine they began a series of systematic demonstrations at the county and state fairs throughout the country and induced the farmers to plant sorghum extensively, they importing the seed from China and Japan.  The growing of sorghum developed very rapidly and at the outbreak of the Civil war, when the price of sugar became exorbitant, the use of this machine proved a Godsend to the country, and it is to these enterprising citizens of Mansfield that the credit is due for the prevention of a famine in that necessity.  This branch of their business grew so rapidly that it became necessary to organize for it a separate concern and the firm of Blymyer, Bates & Day was formed, taking in J. S. Blymyer, A. T. Bates and Mathias Day, Jr.  This firm was later succeeded by Blymyer, Day & Company, incorporated.
     This broadening of their operations necessitated more help and in 1859 George W. Blymyer became bookkeeper and assistant manager for the firm of The Blymyer Brothers Company, this being the beginning of a continuous service in the business at the same location extending over fifty years.  In 1863 he purchased the interest of his brother B. F.  and since that time has been the active head of the business, which has had a continuous growth from the beginning.  They enjoy a large wholesale as well as retail trade.  G. W. Blymyer has continued his interests alone to this business with the exception of having invested to a large extent n Mansfield real estate.  Among his holdings are the business house at No. 17 North Main street; The Blymyer, a fashionable boarding house on Park avenue West and Mulberry street; and a modern flat building on Sturges avenue.  His residence is on Blymyer avenue in the Blymyer and Black addition, named in honor of his father, a part of the addition being a piece of his property and later coming into possession of Moses Black and B. F. Blymyer's heirs, who laid out the addition.  Our subject has a winter home at Daytona, Florida, where he spends the winter months, that town having been laid out by Mathias Day, of Mansfield.
     Mr. Blymyer was only four years old when he accompanied his parents on their removal to Mansfield and he began his education in an old log school house by the Big Spring on East Fourth street.  One of his most pleasant recollections of that period is the annual sled ride given by Levi Zimmerman and James H. Cook, directors of the school, to its pupils.  Mr. Zimmerman attended private school conducted by Mr. Hurty in an old two-story frame building where the Young Men's Christian Association building now stands.  He was afterward a pupil at the academy on Mulberry street, which later became the Catholic church, this being taught by Rev. Mr. Rowland; Mr. Johnston, who afterward became congressman; and Mr. John Ogden.  He was next under the instruction of Mr. Mills, who taught in a two-story brick building, where the Catholic church now stands, and upon the adoption of the present school system and the establishment of the first high school on the east side of South Main street near First street, he became one of its original pupils.  Later the high school was removed to the present location of the Catholic church and there he completed his education, being one of the three members of the highest class during his last year, that of 1856-7.  The classes had not been systematized for graduation at that time.  After leaving school Mr. Blymyer entered the dry goods store of Avery & askew, next door to Blymyer& Brother, remaining as a clerk in their employ for two years, when he entered upon his present business career.
     On the 15th of June, 1864, Mr. Blymyer was married in Mansfield to Miss Caroline S. Cook, a daughter of James H. and Mary (Wiler) Cook, and a granddaughter of Jabez Cook and John Wiler, two of the oldest citizens of Mansfield, having settled here prior to 1815.  As an enterprising and public spirited man, her father probably did as much toward the upbuilding and development of the city than any other person in its history.  He is now deceased, but Mr. Cook is still living at the advanced age of eighty-seven years, her father, John Wiler, being a centenarian at the time of his death.  Mrs. Blymyer passed away on the 29th of June, 1902.  She was the mother of three children: William H., now an attorney of New York city; Mary E., who is at home with her father; and George W., Jr., who is now practically at the head of the Blymyer Brothers Company.
     Mr. Blymyer is quite prominent socially, being a member of the Elks; one of the organizers of the Mohican Club, of Mansfield; and a member of the Westbrook Country Club.  He also belongs to the Florida East Coast Automobile Club and the Halifax River Yacht Club, of Daytona, of which he has had the honor of being the commodore.  Since casting his first presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln he has been a stanch supporter of the republican party and has taken an active interest in local politics, serving on the city council in the early '80s, when the present sewer and park system of streets was inaugurated, and became foremost in those movements.  He takes a just pride in having forced the street railway to move their poles back into the grass plots from the street where they had been previously planted along the curb, making a very unsightly street.
     For many years Mr. Blymyer was prominent in musical circles, serving as director of the choir of the First Congregational church without salary, and was one of the founders of the Philharmonic Society, for many years the leading musical organization of the city.  He always served wherever needed and often as a director.  He was a trustee and treasurer of the First Congregational church for some years and while the church had previously been deficit every year, he left the office with a good sum in the treasury, having inaugurated a new system of collecting.  His life is exemplary in all respects and he has ever supported those interests which are calculated to uplift and benefit humanity, while his own high moral worth is deserving of the highest commendation.  Unassuming in manner, he is genial but dignified and has a host of friends throughout Richland county, while wherever known he is held in the highest regard by his associates.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - from 1808 to 1908 by A. J. Baughman - Chicago: The J. S. Clarke Publishing Co. 1908 - Page 775)
WILLIAM GAYLORD BLYMYER, who throughout his active business life was connected with journalistic interests, was born Aug. 31, 1840, and was the fourth in order of birth in the family of six children born until John and Sarah (Alstadt) Blymyer.  The father's birth occurred in 1808 and that of his wife in 1810.  When sixteen years of age William Gaylord Blymyer accompanied his father on his removal to Missouri, but after four years returned to Mansfield, where for a few years he was employed in the office of the Herald.  Returning to Missouri, he remained in that state for several years and subsequently resided in Madison, Indiana, for a short time, when he again came to Mansfield and was married. Soon after that important event in his life he purchased the Fostoria News, which he disposed of shortly afterward and then bought an interest in the Tiffin Tribune, which he likewise sold a few years later.  Purchasing the Defiance Democrat, published in Defiance, he there continued for about twenty years, and so the expiration of that period sold the paper and removed to Coshocton.  In 1902 he took up his abode in Mansfield and interested himself in the Mansfield Printing Company, which his son-in-law, Charles Glover, ahs continued since his death.  Mr. Blymyer gained a large measure of success in his journalistic interests and was well known for his excellent qualifications along this line.
     On the 21st of December, 1864, Mr. Blymyer was united in marriage to Miss Susan A. Sheets, and thy had one son, George Sheets Blymyer, now deceased, and one daughter, Olive, now Mrs. Charles Glover.  The latter has a daughter, Olive, now Mrs. Charles Glover.  The latter ahs a daughter, born in 1894.  George W. Sheets, the father of Mrs. Blymyer, came to Mansfield in his boyhood days and worked as a brick mason.  On attaining his majority he began business for himself and became a very prominent contractor, his skill and ability in this department of activity being widely acknowledged.  He was born in the year 1818, and in 1838 was married to Miss Sarah Jane White, whose birth occurred in 1820.  Their two children were: Dolly, now Mrs. L. F. Harrington, and Mrs. Blymyer.  In his fraternal relations Mr. Sheets was a mason, climbing upward in the order of degrees to that of Knight Templar, and exemplified in his life the beneficent teachings of the craft, being a man of very generous and helpful disposition.  He lived to attain the age of seventy-six years, and his demise was the occasion of sincere regret throughout the entire community.
     Mr. Blymyer gave his political allegiance to the republican party, while his religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Methodist church.  Mrs. Blymyer still makes her home in Mansfield and is a lady of culture and refinement, who has gained an extensive circle of war friends in this city.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - from 1808 to 1908 by A. J. Baughman - Chicago: The J. S. Clarke Publishing Co. 1908 - Page 756)
BENJAMIN B. BOALS, who is well known among the business men of Mansfield, is a member of a pioneer family of Richland County.  He was born on a farm in Mifflin Township, Richland County, May 22, 1896, and is a son of William L. and Anna (Brubaker) Boals.
     William L. Boals
was born in Mifflin Township, a son of David Boals, who was born in Mifflin Township, Richland County, Dec. 22, 1836, and married Mary Huston in 1861.  He spent his long and honorable life as a farmer in Mifflin Township.  William L. Boals was reared on his father's farm and during his active life engaged in farming and stock-raising.  Mrs. Boals was born in Ashland County, Ohio.  The children of Mr. and Mrs. Boals are: Clarence D., who resides on the old homestead; Walter S., lives at Toledo, Ohio; Benjamin B., the subject of this sketch; Miriam, the wife of Park Marsholder, lives at Mt. Vernon, Ohio; Alma, the wife of Harold Sturgeon, Mifflin Township; Willard, at home; and Lucille, the wife of Cyrus Sweinford, of Ashland County, Ohio.  Mr. and Mrs. Boals live in East Mansfield.  He is a Democrat, and has served as township trustee and a number member of the school board.  He has always been active in church work and has served as president of the Sunday School of the United Brethren Church for many years, and as trustee.
     Benjamin B. Boals attended the public schools of Mifflin Township, after which he assisted his father on the home farm until 1918, when he came to Mansfield.  His first business experience was with the Empire Steel Company.  In 1919 he became identified with the Page Dairy Company and was in charge of the receiving station for the Toledo plant.  In 1922 the company erected a modern butter making plant in Mansfield and Mr. Boals was made manager.
     The Page Dairy Company's plant is one of the largest of its kind in this section of the country and serves within a radius of 75 miles about Mansfield.  It has a fleet of 13 trucks.  Mr. Boals is in charge of 35 employes, besides the salesmen and outside men, his territory embracing the Canton and Newark (Ohio) Branches).
     In 1920 Mr. Boals was married to Miss Dorothy A. Enos, the daughter of Oliver L. and Nellie M. (Zerby) Enos.  Mr. Enos was for many years a traveling passenger agent for the Erie Railroad.  He is now serving as ticket agent of that road of Mansfield.  He was born in Perrysville, Ohio, and his wife is a native of Mansfield.  Mr. and Mrs. Boals have three children:  Robert William, Benjamin Oliver, and David.
     Mr
. Boals attends the United Brethren Church, and in politics is an independent voter.  He is a member of the Mansfield Chamber of Commerce, vice president of the Exchange Club, and the Order of Red Men.
(Source: North Central Ohio Biographies embracing Ashland, Wayne, Medina, Lorain, Huron & Knox Counties by William A. Duff - 3 vols. 1931, pg. 711)
DAVID BOALS, farmer, P. O. Mansfield; he was born in Mifflin Township Dec. 22, 1836.  He was married in 1861, to Mary Huston, who was born in Franklin Township; they have four children - William, born Jan. 13, 1862; Ella J., June 26, 1863; John V. (deceased), Jan. 4, 1870; Estella, June 16, 1874.  Mr. Boals resides on the farm where he was born, and is a farmer of the first class, and keeps up with all the improvements.
(Mifflin Twp.)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Page 824
FRANK L. BOALS.  Among the agriculturists of Richland county who have attained a well-merited success in their chosen calling is Frank L. Boals, one of the leading agriculturists of Mifflin township, whose home is on section 16,  He was born upon his present farm Jan. 4, 1860, and is a worthy representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the county.
     On the paternal side he traces his ancestry back to James Boals, a native of Ireland, who was the suitor for the had of a young lady who had emigrated with her parents to America.  Against the wishes of his parents he came to the new world and was rewarded by her consenting to become his bride.  After their marriage they settled in Jefferson county, Ohio, where they continued to make their home throughout the remainder of their lives.
     Among their children was David Boals, the grandfather of our subject.  He was born in Jefferson county, in 1801, and on attaining man's estate was married there to Susan Glover  Her father was one of the pioneers of Jefferson county, having come to this state at an early day from Vermont.  His parents were natives of England.  After his marriage David Boals engaged in farming in his native county until 1828, and then removed to Richland county, locating on the southwest quarter of section 9, Mifflin township, which land had been entered by his father some time previously.  In the midst of the forest he built a log cabin, and experienced all the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life.  In politics he was a Democrat, and for a number of years he efficiently served as township trustee.  Religiously he was an earnest member of the Presbyterian church.  This worthy pioneer died upon his farm in Mifflin township, in 1860, and his wife passed away in 1858.
     James W. Boals, the father of our subject, was born in Jefferson county, June 20, 1825, and was only three years old when brought by his parents to this county.  He married Miss Elizabeth Parkinson, by whom he had four children, three still living, namely:  Frank L. of this review; Mary L., the wife of C. L. Reed, a farmer of Madison Township, this county; and Wade P., a farmer of Mifflin township.  After his marriage Mr. Boals purchased the farm on which Gideon E. Hoover now resides, and there he followed agricultural pursuits until 1859, when he disposed of the place and purchased the farm of one hundred and sixty acres which is now the property of our subject.  Here he spent the remaining years of his life.  He met with excellent success in his farming operations, owning at the time of his death two farms, - one containing one hundred and ninety-two acres and the other one hundred and seventy-two acres.
     Politically Mr. Boals was an ardent Democrat, but never cared for official honors.  Although he never allied himself with any religious denomination, he was a liberal supporter of all church and charitable work; was a kind husband and indulgent father, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him.  He died Aug. 5, 1895.  His wife, who was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, about 1837, died about 1869.  Her parents were Jacob and Mary (Keller) Parkinson natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland, respectively, who came to this state after their marriage, and spent the remainder of their lives in Jefferson county.  Mr. Parkinson was a machinist by trade and had a shop on his farm, where he manufactured threshing machines, finding a market for his products throughout different sections of Pennsylvania and Ohio.  He was very successful and became quite well-to-do.  He served as a captain in the Mexican war, and the sword used by him in the service is still in possession of the family.
     Frank L. Boals was reared on the home farm, and his early education was obtained in the local schools, but later he attended Frazier Business College at Mansfield.  He was married on the 24th of December, 1889, the lady of his choice being Miss Josie Brindle, a native of Ashland county, Ohio, and a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Burns) Brindle.  In early life her father removed from Franklin county, Pennsylvania, to Ashland county, this state, and for many years was one of the prominent and influential farmers of Ashland county, where his death occurred.  Mr. and Mrs. Boals have five children, namely:  Edwin, Herman, Bryan, Shirley and Mabel.
    
After his marriage Mr. Boals and his brother Wade took charge of the home farm, and carried on the same for the father up to the latter's death, when the home farm was transferred to our subject, while the upper farm became the property of his brother.  Here he has since resided, engaged in general farming and stock-raising.  Being a natural mechanic he also runs blacksmithing.  Industrious, enterprising and progressive, he has become one of the substantial men of his community, as well as one of its most highly respected citizens.  He uses his right of franchise in support of the Demographic party, and for the past six years has most capably and acceptably served as the treasurer of Mifflin township.
Source #4: A Centennial Biographical History of Richland Co., Ohio - Publ: Mansfield by A. A., Graham & Co. - 1901 - Page 325

JAMES F. BOALS, formerly the sheriff of Richland county, is descended from two of the pioneer settlers of the county.  His grandfather, James Boals, an Irishman by birth, came to this country in early life, and was one of the primitive settlers of Weller township, this county, where he entered a tract of government land and developed the same into a farm.  On this farm, in 1830, his son John was born.  John Boals grew up here and for a number of years made this place his home, taking an active part in local affairs and being recognized as one of the leading spirits of the community.  He married Miss Eliza Ashton, also a native of Weller townships.  Her parents were Francis and Elizabeth Ashton, the former an Englishman, who, on coming to this country, at once located in Weller township.  He entered the land now known as the A. L. Martin farm.  Subsequently he moved to Hardin county and thence to Allen county, Ohio, and during his active, useful life he accumulated a fortune, most of it, however, in Allen county.  At his death his estate was valued at two hundred thousand dollars.  John Boals and his wife reared six sons and four daughters.  One of the latter, Esther, is the wife of William G. Hughes, and resides in Weller township, she and the subject of this sketch being the only members of the family now living in Richland county.  The parents and other children are residents of Hardin county.
     James F. Boals was born July 30, 1854, in the same house, in Weller township, in which his father was ushered into life.  Reared on the farm, and early giving his assistance to its various kinds of work, he developed a rugged constitution and a fine physique.  He remained at home until he was twenty-two years of age, when, in 1877, he married and started out in life on his own account.  His first business venture was with a sawmill and threshing machine, which he operated for some years in Weller and Franklin townships, and with which he was successful, running the Aultman Taylor machinery.  Selling out in 1884, he went to work for the Aultman-Taylor Machinery Company, with which he was connected from that time until 1896, as a traveling representative.  His travels covered all parts of the United States and numerous foreign lands, including England, Holland, Germany, Turkey, Roumania, Egypt, South America and Mexico.  On one occasion he was shipwrecked.  That was in 1887, in the North sea.  He had sailed from Amsterdam at noon on Sunday, for South America, and at 2 A. M. the next morning the vessel collided with another vessel, both sinking shortly afterward.  Passengers and crew, numbering in all six hundred and two people were save in life boats and were picked up at 4 P. M. on Monday by a vessel bound for Hamburg.  A keen observer with a just appreciation of the variety and novelty of travel abroad, Mr. Boals has a fund of information that is seemingly inexhaustible, and he has a pleasing way of reciting the incidents which occurred on his various trips.  A description of his travels would make a volume of much interest and no small proportions.
     In November, 1896, Mr. Boals was elected sheriff of Richland county, and in performing the duties of this office gave such general satisfaction that in 1898 he was elected for a second term, without any opposition whatever.  His term of office expiring Jan. 1, 1900, he became connected with the Twentieth Century Manufacturing Company, of Mansfield, with which he is at present identified.  He is a member of the board of directors of the Mansfield, Savannah & Welling Electric Railway Company.
     Mr. Boals was married Mar. 29, 1877, to Miss Eunice Cline, a daughter of Louis Cline one of the pioneers of Weller township.  They have no children.
     Of a genial social nature, Mr. Boals has identified himself with fraternal organizations.  For fifteen years he has been an Odd Fellow, having advanced through the various I. O. O. F. degrees, and both he and his wife are members of the Rebekah-degree Lodge.  From his boyhood he has been a lover of fine horses, and has seldom, if ever, been without one or more; at this writing he has seven.  He is a member of the Mansfield Driving Association, which has two race meetings each year, and he is now serving his third term as the president of the association.  Also at this writing he is serving as a member of the Mansfield city council, to which office he was elected in April, 1900.
Source #4: A Centennial Biographical History of Richland Co., Ohio - Publ: Mansfield by A. A., Graham & Co. - 1901 - Page 432

JAMES W. BOALS, farmer; P. O. Mansfield; he was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, June 16, 1825; came with his parents to Richland Co. in 1828.  He was married in 1855, to Elizabeth Parkison, who was born in Jefferson Co. in 1834; they have the following children: Jacob (deceased), who was born Sept. 8, 1857; Frank Leslie, Jan. 6, 1862; Wade Parkison, Mar. 22, 1864.  Mrs. Elizabeth Boals died in 1866.  James Boals was married again in 1870, to Elenor McElroy, who was born in Madison Township.
(Mifflin Twp.)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Page 824
JOSIAH BOALS, farmer; P. O. Mansfield; he was born in Mifflin Township Sept. 17, 1829.  He was married to Mary Snyder, Apr. 6, 1864; she was born in this township Sept. 9, 1837; they have one son - Robert C., born Nov. 9, 1866.  Mr. Boals owns one of the best improved farms in this township, has excellent buildings, and all the modern conveniences.
(Mifflin Twp.)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Page 824
MRS. SARAH J. BOALS was born in Richland county, and while she was still an infant her father, in 1850, went to California to seek his fortune, but soon after reaching that country died, leaving his wife a widow with four children, - all daughters, - of whom Mrs. Boals was the youngest.  When she was about five years of age she was taken by Robert Brown, a farmer of Washington township, and lived with him until she was eighteen years of age.  Apr. 19, 1873, she was married to Mr. Marion Boals, and immediately after their marriage they located in Mansfield.  Mr. Boals was in the service of the Pittsburg, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway Company, and on Thanksgiving morning, 1884, while in the line of his duty as conductor, in the yards of that company at Mansfield, was mortally injured, dying and Mrs. Boals were the parents of the following children:  William Richard, born Feb. 7, 1874; Marion Herbert born Oct. 7, 1876, a machinist in the employ of the Union Foundry & Machine Company; George Henry, born Aug. 7, 1879; and a daughter, born Aug. 1, 1883, and died when five days old.  The boys are all at home, William R. being an employee of the New York, Pittsburg & Ohio Railroad Company, and located in Mansfield; and George Henry, a painter in the employ of the Aultman Taylor Company.  Mrs. Henry Newland, a sister of Mrs. Boals, lives on a farm in Madison township; Mrs. Martha Culver, another sister, lives in Nevada, Missouri, and Mrs. Mary McJunkins, still another sister, lives at Crestline, Ohio.  The mother of these four sisters, who for some years lived with Mrs. McJunkins at Crestline, died during the summer of 1896, at the age of seventy-one years.  Robert Brown died about twenty-five years ago, and Colonel R. C. Brown, his son, with whom Mrs. Boals lived in her girlhood, died in 1897.
     Mrs. Boals is a stanch member of Dr. Niles' English Lutheran church, of Mansfield, and has been living in her present home, No. 65 Buckingham street, some nine years.  Her son, William R., is a member of the Maccabees of Mansfield.
Source #4: A Centennial Biographical History of Richland Co., Ohio - Publ: Mansfield by A. A., Graham & Co. - 1901 - Page 366
R. S. BOLES, M. D., Lucas; was born Mar. 8, 1843, in Franklin Township, Wayne Co., Ohio; in 1853, his parents removed to Ripley Township, Holmes Co.; in 1866, he began the study of medicine with Drs. Bertolett & Todd, of Shreve, Wayne Co.; he graduated at Charity Hospital Medical College during the sessions of 1868 and 1869.  He began the practice of his profession in the spring of 1869, in West Windsor, Richland Co.; in the spring of 1870, he removed to Lucas, where he still resides.  He was married to Catharine Hale, of West Windsor, Oct. 19, 1871.  His father, William Boles, died Mar. 2, 1871.  He has three brothers and two sisters living.  The Doctor is kind, jovial and friendly in his disposition, affable and pleasing in his manners.  He is well fitted for the profession he has chosen.  Comparatively speaking, he has a very lucrative practice for a man of his age; in his practice he has been remarkably successful, and is now recognized as one of the prominent physicians of our county.
Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880 - Page 824 - Monroe Twp.
JERRY S. BOLLMAN, Recorder; was born in Lebanon Co., Penn., Jan. 20, 1834, and removed pith his parents to Richland Co., where they settled in Franklin Township in 1849. Mr. Bollman came to Mansfield and began the trade of cabinet-making in 1852 with Capt. Reinaker, and served his full apprenticeship of three years, when he entered the store of John H. Wigle, where be remained for some time : then into Remy & Co.'s dry-goods store, Scattergood & Penrose, Robinson & Vance, C. L. Avery's and Black's. In the year 1877, Mr. Bollman was elected Recorder of Richland Co., on the Democratic ticket, and took possession of the office on the 7th of January, 1878, and now fills that position with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of both political parties; the abstract office, in connection with the one which he fills, is a model of convenience, and reflects great credit on him, to whom it personally belongs. Mr. Bollman was married to Miss Lydia A. Dill in Mansfield July 7, 1858; they have four children, all living-Burton T., now a telegraph operator in Mansfield; Curtis J., a druggist; Milton F., and Roy T. Mr. Bollman is at present a resident of the Third Ward, Mansfield, and enjoys the confidence of the entire community.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
HENRY BOSSLER, woodworkman in the Mansfield Machine Works; he was born in Madison Township, Richland Co., Jan. 14, 1839. Married. Sept. 27, 1863, Josephine Mcllvain, who was born in Mansfield May 22, 1843; they have one son-William T., born March 17, 1865. Mr. Bossler has been engaged with the Mansfield Machine Works over two years, and has won the entire confidence of his employers through his industry and frugality, and is recognized as one of our substantial and active citizens.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
HON JACOB BRINKERHOFF, was born in the town of Niles, Cayuga Co., N. Y , Aug. 31, 1810. His father, Henry I. Brinkerhoff, was a native of Pennsylvania, having been born near the town of Gettysburg; his grandfather, however, was from Hackensack, N. J., and belonged to the old Dutch family of New York, the progenitor of which came from Drentland, in Holland, in the year 1638. His mother, nee Rachel Bevier, was of Huguenot descent, and came from Ulster Co , N. Y. After a thorough English education, obtained at the public schools and at the academy at Prattsburgh, Steuben Co., N. Y., be entered the law office of Messrs. Howell & Brother, in Bath, Steuben Co., in 1834. Here he regularly prosecuted his studies two years, and in the spring of 1836, removed to Mansfield, Ohio, where, in May, 1837, he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of the State, and immediately entered upon the practice of Era profession. He soon acquired reputation as a lawyer of more than average ability, and in the course of a year or two was elected Prosecuting Attorney for Richland County, the duties of which he performed successfully for four years; at the expiration of his office, in the fall of 1843, be was elected to Congress, on the Democratic ticket; while serving as a member of this body, he became affiliated with the Free-Soil party, and drew up the famous resolution introduced by David Wilmot, of Pennsylvania, and since known as the Wilmot Proviso ; the original draft of this resolution, in his own handwriting, is still in his possession. Several copies of this resolution were made and distributed among the Free Soil members of Congress, with the understanding that whoever among them should catch the Speaker's eye and get the floor should introduce it ; Wilmot was the fortunate man, and thereby his name was attached to the resolution, and it has gone into history as the "Wilmot Proviso," instead of the Brinkerhoff Proviso, as it should have been. At the close of his Congressional career, he resumed the practice of law, at Mansfield, in which he successfully labored until he was elevated to the Supreme Bench, his first term commencing Jan. 9, 1856; in this highly honorable position, be was retained for three successive terms, covering a period of fifteen years, and it is but justice to mention that a fourth term was offered him, but he declined a renomination. The Ohio State Reports contain many of his opinions, delivered during his term upon the Supreme Bench, and they are everywhere very highly regarded by the profession. He was married, Oct. 4, 1837, to Caroline Campbell, of Lodi, Seneca Co., N. Y., who died at that place while on a visit., Nov. 18, 1839. His present wife was Marion Titus, of Detroit, Mich., by whom he has four children now living, two sons and two daughters, viz. : Malvina, George, Roelof and Gertrude. The Judge has retired from his profession, and still resides at Mansfield, but in feeble health.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
GEN. ROELIFF BRINKERHOFF, was born in Owasco, Cayuga Co., N. Y. June 28, 1828. The Brinkerhoffs of America are all descended from Joris Dericksen Brinckerhoff, who came from Drentland, Holland, in 1638, with his wife Susannah, and settled in Brooklyn, N. Y., then New Netherlands. The members of the family are now numerous, and for the most part are settled upon Long Island, and in the valley of the Hudson, but still a few families of the name can be found in almost every Western State. The Western Brinkerhoffs are mostly descendants of Hendrick, son of Joris, who settled in New Jersey, and who dropped the letter c from his name. Gen. Brinkerhoff is of the seventh generation in America; his father, George R., was born near Gettysburg, Penn., but his grandfather, Roeliff, came from Hackensack, N. J.; his ancestors on his mother's side (the Bouviers), and on his grandmother's (the Demarests), were French Huguenots, fleeing from religious persecution who found safety and a home among the tolerant Dutchmen of the New Netherlands. Roeliff, the subject of this sketch, at the age of 18 was a school teacher in his native town ; at 18, he was in charge of a school near Hendersonville, Tenn.; at 19, he was a tutor in the family of Andrew Jackson, Jr., at the Hermitage, and remained there until 1850, when he came North and entered as a law student in the office of his kinsman, the Hon. Jacob Brinkerhoff at Mansfield, Ohio; in 1852, he was admitted to the bar, and entered the practice, and remained in the profession until the war of the rebellion ; during that time, June, 1855 to 1859, he was one of the editors and proprietors of the Mansfield Herald. In September, 1861, he entered the military service as First Lieutenant and Regimental Quartermaster of the 64th O. V. I.; in November of the same year, be was promoted to the position of Captain and Assistant Quartermaster, and during the winter was on duty at Bardstown, Ky ; after the capture of Nashville, be was placed in charge of transportation, land and river, is that city; after the battle of Pittsburg Landing, be was ordered to the front, and placed in charge of the field transportation of the Army of the Ohio; after the capture of Corinth, be went home on sick furlough, and was thence ordered to Maine as Chief Quartermaster in that State ; subsequently, he was transferred to Pittsburgh, Penn., in charge of transportation and army stores, and thence to Washington City as Post Quartermaster, and remained on that duty until June, 1865, when he was made a Colonel and Inspector of the Quartermaster's Department ; he was then retained on duty at the War Office, with Secretary Stanton, until November, when he was ordered to Cincinnati as Chief Quartermaster of that Department; in September, 1866, its was breveted a Brigadier General of Volunteers; he was also tendered a commission in the regular army, but declined ; on the 1st of October, at his own request, he was mustered out of service, having completed five years of continuous service in the army, Gen. Brinkerhoff is the author of the book entitled "The Volunteer Quartermaster;' which is still the standard guide for the officers and employee of the Quartermaster's Department. After his retirement from the army, be returned to the practice of his profession, at Mansfield. In 1873, upon the organization of the Mansfield Savings Bank, he became its executive officer as cashier, and has since retained that position ; he is also a member of the Board of State Charities, and President of the National Conference of Charities. Gen. Brinkerhoff, Feb. 8, 1852, married Mary Lake Bentley, of Mansfield, daughter of Baldwin Bentley, and grand-daughter of Gen. Robert Bentley, by whom he has a family of four children, two sons and two daughters-Robert Bentley, Addis Horton, Mary and Roeliff, all now living at Mansfield.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
SAMUEL G. BRINLEY, (deceased) ; was born in Mifflin Township Sept. 10, 1831 ; his father, John Brinley, is a resident of La Grange Co., Ind. Samuel G. was the first child. When 16 years of age, he commenced clerking in a dry-goods store in Petersburg, where he lived four years ; soon after, he removed to this city, and was engaged in the dry-goods store of James Weldon, where he remained ten years. For several years during the war, he held the position of Deputy Provost Marshal and United States Marshal, and was a clerk in the Treasurer's office of this county under T. J. Robinson. He was married, Oct. 30, 1853, in Mansfield, to Miss Elzina S. Grubaugh ; they are the parents of seven children. Charles Oscar was born Aug. 7, 1854 ; John Allen was born Aug. 1, 1857 ; Joseph Franklin was born March 27, 1860 ; Harry S. was born July 16, 1864; Elzina S. was born Dec. 15, 1866, and died April 15, 1868 ; Aden wan born June 25, 1870, and Lee was born Feb. 19, 1872. Mr. Brinley died in this city Dec. 26, 1876 ; be was, for a number of years before his death, a successful contractor and builder, and had the confidence and esteem of the community. He was a member of the I. O. O. F. for a number of years, and of the Methodist Church for twenty-five years. Mrs Elzina Brinley was born near Loudenville, Ashland Co., Nov. 19, 1833 ; she is now a resident of West Bloom street.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
T. G. BRISTOR, dentist; he was born in Washington, Washington Co., Penn., in 1837; he came to Steubenville, Ohio, in 1844, where he studied dentistry ; he came to Mansfield in 1858, and engaged in the practice of dentistry. In 1865, he went to St. Louis, Mo., and practiced dentistry until 1872, when he returned to Mansfield ; he has been engaged here since. He is the oldest dentist in the city. He has branch offices at Shelby, Shiloh, Bellville and Hayesville, which places be visits once each month-Mondays and Tuesdays.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
JAMES R. BRISTOR, dentist, Mansfield ; he was born in Washington, Washington Co., Penn., Jan. 28, 1834, and emigrated to Steubenville, Ohio, April 1, 1845, with his father and mother ; in 1857, he connected himself with the dental profession and moved to Mansfield, in 1860, and located. He was married, Jan. 6, 1873, to Hannah M. Duncan, widow of Alex. Critchfield, of Millersburg, Ohio ; she was born at Bloomfield, Coshocton Co., Ohio, Feb. 26, 1840, and moved with her father and mother to Millersburg, Ohio, in the fall of 1852, and to Mansfield in January, 1873; they have three children-John Henry, born April 25, 1874 ; Harriet Louisa, Sept. 14, 1875 ; Laura Virginia, April 20, 1878. In 1876, Mr. Bristor was elected from the Fourth Ward as one of the city Councilmen, and, in 1879, he was chosen to preside as President of Council of the city of Mansfield. James R. Bristor was born of Henry M. Bristor and Minerva Ruple Bristor, his wife, both of whom were born in Washington Co., Penn. Henry M. Bristor was born of Thomas Bristor and Elizabeth Dubany Bristor, his wife, both of whom were born near the James River, in Eastern Virginia; their parents lived within hearing distance of the cannon at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, Va. Minerva Ruple Bristor was born to James Ruple and Dina G. Ruple, in Washington Co., Penn. Hannah Duncan Bristor was born of John Duncan and Nancy Casey Duncan ; her father emigrate from Washington, Penn., to Ohio, and her mother from Harper's Ferry, W. Va.
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
S. A. BRONSON, D. D., Pastor Protestant Episcopal Church; Dr. Bronson is a lineal descendant of Abraham Bronson, one of the two Bronsons who, in 1673, petitioned the court for the privilege of settling on a plantation in what is now the town of Waterbury, Conn.; Dr. Bronson's father, Bela Bronson, emigrated from Connecticut to Ohio and settled in what is now Columbia, Lorain Co., in 1807 ; the Doctor was then in his infancy, and was carried in his mother's arms across the Cuyahoga, with the first team that crossed in the tide of Western emigration; be was taken to church by his mother and was baptized in Waterbury, his native place; the first minister of the Gospel he remembers to have seen was when he was about 9 years old ; his mother and the church service, read by laymen, were his only teachers ; at the age of 16, he traveled on horseback about seventy miles in the fruitless search for a Latin dictionary ; he afterward attended school at Kenyon College, where be graduated in 1833 ; two years after, he was ordained to the ministry; from 1845 to 1850, he was President of Kenyon College; in 1867, be was Professor of Ecclesiastical history in the same institution ; in 1872, he came to Mansfield to accept the pastorate of the church here ; be had, however, filled the pulpit a year and a half before coming.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
MRS. OLIVER W. BROWN, nee Lodema Switzer, widow of O. W. Brown, deceased, is a representative of a very old and cultured family, which has taken high rank in legal and literary circles. The celebrated Judge Hess of Wabash, Indiana, is an uncle of our subject, while the equally noted Judge Lowry of Canton is also a near relative.
     Jacob Switzer, our subject's father, came from Berne, Switzerland, to America, in the latter part of the eighteenth century and settled in Pennsylvania in 1800, and afterward moved to Richland county, Ohio, where he purchased a large tract of land, in Clear Fork valley, and died in December, 1881. Mrs. Brown's mother was of French extraction, and many of her people were fine scholars and statesmen. The Curry Institute at Pittsburg is under the direction of her relatives. Mrs. Switzer, with her youngest son and daughter, resides in Richland county, Ohio.
     Our subject is the eldest of ten children, nine of whom survive. Edmund B., the second, resides in Belleville, Ohio; Louis, the third, is a resident of Richland county, Ohio; James, the fourth, is also a well-known citizen of Belleville, Ohio. The fifth, Flora Pierce, is a resident of Butler, Ohio. The Pierce family is one of the oldest and most prominent of western Ohio. The sixth, Alexander, who was united in marriage to one of New Lyme's daughters, Alice Rathbone, whose father, Dr. Rathbone, is one of the most prominent citizens of that township, is also a resident of Butler. The seventh, Mrs. Ella Cline, resides in Cleveland, Ohio. Delvan, the youngest son, remains with his mother in Butler; the youngest daughter, Birdie, is a very bright and well-known magazine writer. Her sketches, which are to be found in many of the best periodicals, are of a very high order of literary merit. All the sisters are elocutionists of considerable ability, and of great literary culture.  Miss Switzer is also a very successful instructor in the public schools of Richland county. Oliver Brown, to whom our subject was united in marriage, was one of New Lyme's foremost and most highly respected citizens. He was previously married to Mary Lee, whose brother, Judge Lee, was one of the most prominent citizens of Ashtabula county, and is still well remembered by the older residents. Since the death of Mr. Brown our subject has been compelled to devote much of her time to the management of the great Brown estate, consisting of 800 acres of highly improved land. In spite of this great care, however, she finds time for church and social duties. Our subject is a consistent. member of the Presbyterian Church of New Lyme and takes an active interest in its spiritual and temporal growth. Mrs. Brown has a host of friends and is highly esteemed for her many excellent qualities of mind and heart.
Source: Biographical history of northeastern Ohio - Chicago:  Lewis Pub. Co.,  1893 - pages 1012
BARNBUS BURNS, attorney at law. The parents of Mr. Burns, Andrew and Sarah (Caldwell) Burns, were Irish Catholics, and emigrated to America about the year 1800 ; they had a family of five children, three sons and two daughters. Mr. B., the youngest of five children, was born in Fayette Co., Penn., June 29, 1817 ; he emigrated with his parents to Milton Township, Ashland Co., settling there June 20, 1820; Mr. Burns remained on a farm until he was of age; he received a common-school education, and also spent a short time in the Ashland and Mansfield schools. He came to Mansfield April 9, 1838, where he has resided ever since. He was Deputy Clerk of the Courts, from 1839 to 1846, ; he studied law in the offices of Hon. Thomas W. Bartley and Hon. Samuel J. Kirkwood, and was admitted to practice in the summer of 1848, and has practiced law in Mansfield from that date to the present time. In the fall of 1849, Mr. Burns was elected to the Ohio State Senate, and re-elected in the fall of 1849 ; he was Presidential Elector for the State at large, on the Democratic ticket, in 1852; be served as Colonel of the 86th O. V. I. in the war of the rebellion, doing excellent service there; after his return, he again began the practice of his profession. In 1873, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention, and the same year was nominated on the Democratic ticket as Lieutenant Governor; out of a vote of nearly 600,000, be was defeated by only about five hundred votes; in 1876, Col. Burns was one of the Ohio Commissioners at the Centennial Exposition, filling that office, like all others, in a manner satisfactory to all the interests concerned therein; Col. B. has served several terms as one of the Trustees of the Ohio Soldiers' Orphans' Home; he is now, although 63 years old, actively engaged in the practice of his profession, being one of the oldest members of the Mansfield bar now in practice; he has always been an active and consistent Democrat. Col. Burns was married, Sept, 18, 1841, to Miss Urath Gore ; Mr, and Mrs. B. became the parents of seven children, two of whom died in infancy; three sons and two daughters yet survive - Mary (wife of Dr. Geo. Mitchell), John Caldwell, Kate, Jerrie H. and Barna G.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)
WILLIAM BUSHNELL, physician. The family from which Dr. Bushnell descends dates back, in America, to early in the sixteenth century. Sometime in that period, Francis Bushnell came from England to America, and located in Guilford, Hartford Co., Conn.; be died in 1646, as the records show, his death being the first authentic date in possession of the family. He left five sons-Francis, William, John, Richard and Isaac. The second son, William, married and settled in Connecticut, and, at his death, left four children, the second of whom, Ephraim, also lived in Connecticut, and raised a family of seven children. His third child, James, was born March 12, 1716, and, about the year 1736, married a Miss Dudley. He was a seafaring man, and, soon after his marriage, went to sea on one of his voyages, and was never afterward heard from. It is supposed his vessel was lost at sea. After his departure to sea, his only son, Alexander, was born ; June 2, 1737. Feb. 12, 1761, he married Chloe Waite, a member of the Waite family of Lyme, Conn. (Chief Justice Waits, of Ohio, is a descendant of the same family). Miss Waits was born June 20, 1738. She lived to be 94 years old, dying Oct. 28, 1832. She became the mother of eleven children. The sixth child, Sterling G., the father of Dr. Bushnell, was born in Hartford Co., Conn., in 1781. The exact date is not known, as the record has been lost. Mr. Bushnell came to Trumbull Co., Ohio, in 1805, and to Vermillion Township, Ashland Co., May 20, 1820. His family then consisted of eleven children-Betsey, Lury, William, Collins, Sedelia, Jotham, Huldah, Rosella, Horner, Olive and Thomas. Of these, six are now living-Betsey, William, Sedelia, Huldah, Rosella and Thomas. Mr. Bushnell lived in this township until August, 1847, when his death occurred. He was 76 years of age. His wife lived several years after her husband's death, dying in the old homestead; she lives with her son Thomas, who is there yet. Mr. Bushnell was a man of scholarly attainments, and great force of character. He was a surveyor, and surveyed parts of the Reserve in the counties of Ashtabula, Medina and Lorain ; while living in Trumbull Co., be surveyed a good deal of its territory there. William B. remained at home in Vermillion Township, teaching school about one year, assisted in opening the farm, and studying medicine; he then went to Trumbull Co. to study medicine; in 1825, he went to the old Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, where he remained about one year at the medical school ; at the end of the time, he went to New Orleans, and settled at Point Coupee, where he practiced medicine one year; while there, he taught in an academy seven months: from there he returned to this county, and located in Mansfield; this was in July, 1828. The Doctor has since lived here, engaged in the practice of medicine. When Dr. Bushnell was s boy, he took a small part in the war of 1812. He was quite ambitious of military life then, as were all boys of the day, and enjoyed at least one adventure. After Hull's surrender, when in his 12th year, the 1st Regiment of the 3d Brigade, and the 4th Division of the Ohio Militia, on its way to the frontier, halted and took dinner at the residence of his father, who was Adjutant of that regiment. William, believing he was old enough to go with the troops, pleaded his cause so earnestly to accompany the regiment, that he was allowed to do so, and marched with it to the vicinity of Cleveland, where the troops were encamped. A battle being imminent with the Indians, his father told him he most go back home. He obeyed very reluctantly, as he desired to take a hand in the fighting. He retraced his steps alone through the dense wilderness, guided only by the trail left by the regiment.
     April 5, 1836, Dr. Bushnell married Mary, only daughter of Gen Robert Bentley, a man of much ability, who resided in this county. Of their children only one is living-Martin B., a resident of Mansfield. During his long and successful career as a physician, Dr. Bushnell has also devoted himself to public business, and held several places of responsibility. Many of the internal improvements in the northern portion of the State were either projected by him, or owe their existence to his energy end influence. He was one of the Directors of the Atlantic & Great Western Railway, not only during its construction, but for some years after its completion. In 1849, Dr. Bushnell was elected a member of the Ohio House of Representatives, and subsequently re-elected, and served several terms in that legislative body. After the establishment of the Cleveland Medical College, he was connected with it as a Censor for about fifteen years. He is a member of the American Medical Association, and also of the Ohio Medical Association ; and, as a physician and surgeon, be ranks with the most eminent in the State. Possessed of a remarkably vigorous constitution, he has been enabled to perform an unusual amount of work. In the early days of his practice, with almost impassable roads to travel long distances, it required the constant exercise of those virtues. He is possessed of an exceedingly dignified and pleasant appearance, and commands the respect of the community where he has lived so long, and with satisfaction to his constituents, whom he has represented. In June, 1878, he wee appointed by Gov. Bishop the Delegate of Ohio to the International Congress on prison reform, called by and under the auspices of Sweden, to take place in Stockholm on the 29th of June. The Doctor took passage on the Inman steamer City of Chester, to attend to the duties of his delegation, and at the some time enjoy a European tour. Since his return, be has been quietly living in the city, enjoying the fruits of a long and busy life.
(Mansfield Township)
(Source: History of Richland Co., Ohio - A. A., Graham & Co., Publishers. 1807 - 1880)

NOTES:

CLICK HERE  to RETURN to
RICHLAND COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express by Sharon Wick.     2008 Submitters retain all copyrights