A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


Source:  Lowell Daily Citizen and News (Lowell, MA)  Vol. VII  Issue: 616  Page: 2
Dated: Apr. 30, 1858
     An elderly man named Recker, near Fort Jennings, Putnam County, Ohio, was murdered last week by his wife, who is now in jail, having confessed the crime.  The circumstances were horrible.  It seems that Recker was affected with a disease of the eyes, which often made it painful for him to come in contact with the light, and that while in this situation, there having been some misunderstanding between him and his wife, she dealt him a blow on the head with an iron wedge.  She then sprang upon him and continued to beat his head till life was extinct.
Source:  Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL) Vol. III  Issue: 183   Page 2.
Dated: Sept. 24, 1874
John Goodman Tried and Convicted for the Murder of Old Mr. and Mrs. Hayward in Putnam County, Ohio.
Story of One of the Most Brutal Crimes.
Correspondence of the Inter-Ocean.
     Ottawa, Ohio, Sept. 21, 1874.
     Two weeks of intense yet subdued excitement on the part of the citizens of our town and county finally culminated in the conviction of John Goodman, on Wednesday, of murder in the first degree; for which crime he was sentenced to be hung in the jail yard on the 30th of December.
     as developed by the testimony, was as follows:  John Hayward and his wife, each aged about 60 years, lived alone on a farm in the southwest part of this Putnam county, their nearest neighbors being a Mr. and Mrs. Funk, who lived about 400 feet south of the Hayward house.  Old Mr. Hayward was known to be well off, and to be in the habit of keeping considerable money about the house.  John Goodman, the murderer, know the old folks well, being the brother-in-law of Mrs. Funk, their nearest neighbor.  Some time last winter he remarked to one of his companions that "old Hayward would be killed for his money some of these days, and it would serve him right, too."
     On the 6th of last April Goodman endeavored to buy or borrow a revolver in Columbus Grove, where he lived.  Failing in that, he borrowed a gun, saying that he was going hunting.  He bought powder and ran some bullets in a neighboring shop, making the same statements as to what he intended to do.  He was traced by a succession of witnesses along the raod from Columbus Grove to Hayward's house, until he got to  within less than a mile of the place; from that time until after the fearful deed was done
     Some time in the afternoon Mrs. Funk heard a gunshot in the direction of Hayward's house, but apparently some distance beyond it.  Coming out of the house, she looked over in that direction, but could see nothing.  She heard, however, a singular moaning sound.  Then she got up on a stump standing in the yard, but still seeing nothing, she returned to the house, Goodman came in from the direction of Hayward's.  He seemed to be much excited, so much so that she asked him what he had been doing.  He answered,
     "I DID IT."
     "What did you do?" asked she.
     "I have put the old folks out of the way", was his reply.
     He seemed, from his remarks afterward, to have thought she had seen him, as while he was in the act of killing Mrs. Hayward he had seen her from where he stood.  He then threatened, if she told any one what he had said, he would kill her.
     As soon as he was gone she informed some of the neighbors, and a
was instituted.  These were found on the 8th, the old man's in Sugar Creek, held under about three feet of water by the end of a heavy log, a bullet hole in the head; and the old lady's in the same creek, about thirty rods further up, kept down by a stone.
     Goodman was then arrested and, amid intense excitement, taken before a justice's, and while being conveyed from thence to jail, he stated that he had asked the old man to go down and help him shoot a squirrel, and while down there he had
     While this was going on, old Mrs. Hayward came out of the house, and when she saw Goodman coming back alone she started to run to Funk's.  Goodman cut her off, and, overtaking her, with the old man's knife, which he had taken from the dead body,
     He then returned to the house and ransacked it, breaking open chests and cupboards, but finding nothing of value.  What little money the old folks had about the house, being mostly gold and silver, escaped his notice.  He took the old man's watch, which was found on his person when arrested.
     After ransacking the house he went to Funk's as before stated, and when he left there proceeded to conceal the bodies where they were afterward found.  Then he returned to his home in the Grove, some seven or eight miles distant, arriving there some time in the night.  After his arrest he was confined in our County Jail.  On the evening of the 27th of July, he, in company with four others, knocked down and trampled on the Sheriff, and
The Sheriff, who has "lots of sand," recovered himself, and, wounded as he was, overtook and recaptured Goodman.
I interviewed the fiend on Saturday, and while he seems to have no hope of a commutation of his sentence he is not at all disturbed at the thought of his approaching doom.  He chats and laughs as freely as any of the rest of the prisoners.  I did not ask him what he thought of the future, as I thought it might be treading on delicate fround with him.                       M.
Source: Times-Picayune (New Orleans, LA)  Page: 8
Dated: April 22, 1875
     The mild-mannered sheriff of Putnam County, Ohio, got $800 for hanging the criminal Goodman.
Source: Daily Inter Ocean - Illinois
Dated: Dec. 22, 1891

     FIRE at Leipsic, Ohio, Monday, did $25,000 damage.
Source: Morning Star - Illinois
Dated: Feb. 5, 1899

Use Dynamite to Blow Open Safe of Postoffice in Ohio.

     Leipsic, Ohio, Feb. 4. - Early this morning three burglars gained an entrance to the postoffice here and dynamited the safe.  The night watchman, Peter Bowman, discovered the cracksmen just after the explosion and opened fire on them.  The burglars returned the fire, but eventually made their escape.  Bowman was shot twice through the leg.  It is understood the cracksmen got about $200 in money and $600 in stamps.  The authorities are hot on their trail.
Source: Jackson Citizen - Michigan
Dated: Oct. 4, 1901

Was A Tough - Though A Member Of An Influential Cleveland Family - Armada Safe Robber Killed.
Killed in a Duel With Citizens - He Served a Term at Columbus, Ohio, Prison.

     Detroit, Mich., Oct. 3 - Advices from Toledo give a possible clue to the identity of the gang, the result of whose burglarious visit to the postoffice at Armada, Mich., early Saturday morning, one of its members was killed.
     John Graham, the dead burglar, was a resident of Cleveland, where he was also known as Thomas Burns, and had but recently been released from prison at Columbus, where he been sent on his recapture shortly after his escape from the Lucas county jail, May 7, 1899, with four companions.  He was caught in company with Henry Duplantey, alias William White, alias Bay City Whitey, also a member of the escaping quintet.  The latter was shot and killed while trying to escape, after having robbed the house of a priest in St. Paul de la Croix.
     George Jones, leader of the gang, was captured by a reporter of the old Grand Rapids Morning Commercial, having been held up by the reporter in the dead of night, and in a lonely stretch of country in Ada township, Kent county, this state.  Jones was sentenced to a long term in the pen.  William Johnson, alias Miller, alias "Indianapolis Billy," was recaptured at Flint, and Graham brought back to Toledo and given a two-year term in the Columbus penitentiary.
     Fred Williams, alias Joe Dunn, was recaptured at the entrance to the tunnel at Sarnia, Ont.  He was given a penitentiary sentence.  The fellows who made their escape were United States prisoners, and were being held for blowing open the postoffice safe at Leipsic, Ohio.  Graham came of a good family in Cleveland.  The only request he made while under arrest at Toledo was that his real name be suppressed, so that his family could never know of his downfall.  He remarked to the then deputy sheriff, John A. O'Dwyer:  "I never want them to know that I've been in such business.  It would break their hearts."
     Citizens of Armada caught the gang in the Armada postoffice, where the safe was blown open.  A running battle took place, in which Graham was mortally wounded.  His three companions carried him to a handcar, which was abandoned near Richmond.  Graham's body has been sent to the university of Michigan pickling vat.
Source: Morning Herald - Kentucky
Dated: Mar. 15, 1902

     GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Mar. 14. - Sheriff Chapman has received word from Toledo that a young woman named Brown, at Miller City, Ohio, died under almost the same circumstances as Mrs. Klump, at Lowells.  She was driving in Leipsic, Ohio, when what purported to be a simple headache powder was thrown in the carriage.  She took the powder a few days later and died with all symptoms of strychnine poisoning.
Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH)  Page 1
Dated: Jan. 28, 1903
Putnam County People Want to Locate Former Ohio Editor.
     TACOMA, Wa., Jan. 27. - Relatives from Putnam county, O., are having the Canadian police at Dawson make vigorous search in the upper Yukon country for James Herbrt Letscher, formerly of Ohio, who went to Klondike several years ago and whose whereabouts have been unknown for some time.  Letscher was a job printer by trade, editor of different country weeklies at various times and also once in the theatrical business.
     Letters written to Dawson indicate he has fallen heir to property and the estate cannot be closed up without knowing whether he is dead or alive.
Source: Daily Register Gazette - Illinois
Dated: June 3, 1912

     On account of serious eye trouble, Mr. Daily has gone to his home in Leipsic, Ohio.  It is feared he will go entirely blind.
Source: Hobart Republican - Oklahoma
Dated: Nov. 21, 1912

     Mrs. J. N. Fockler, who with her husband came to Hobart on August 5, 1901?, the day before the opening, and who has resided here ever since, died at the family home on Jefferson street, Wednesday night at 11:30, after an illness of about three months.
     Short services will be held from the home at 1:45 p.m. tomorrow, Friday, Nov. 22, after which the remains will be sent to Mrs. Fockler's old home at Leipsic, Ohio, for interment.
     These services will be conducted by Rev. Willingham, and will be followed by a more extended funeral upon the arrival of the body at Leipsic.
     The body will be accompanied upon this last journey by Mr. Fockler and Mrs. Fockler's mother.
     Mr. Fockler expects to be gone about thirty days before his return to Hobart.
Source: Elkhart Daily Review - Indiana
Dated: July 9, 1914
Woman From Ohio Who is Here Visiting a Daughter Meets With Accident While Attending Dance.
     Ella Wood of Leipsic, Ohio aged about 45, who is here visiting a daughter at 526½ South Main Street, sustained the fracture of vboth bones of her right leg just above the ankle in a fall down the basement stairs while attending a dance at the home of Frank Wengets, 1309 Harrison street, last night.  She was taken to the General Hospital.
     Sergt. Wooley and Officer Williams had arrived at the house just prior to the accident, having been summoned by neighbors who complained that too much noise was being made at the place.
Source: Jackson Citizen Patriot - Michigan
Dated: May 27, 1917

R. H. Thompson of Leipsic, Ohio, Has Leased the Place - Other Clinton Nows.
     Clinton, May 26. - The Clintonian hotel, which has the reputation of being among the best in southern Michigan, has again changed hands.  Miss Eleonor Mohr, who has been a very courteous manager for several years, has retired and R. H. Thompson and family of Leipsic, Ohio, have leased the building for some time.  All the employes of Miss Mohr leave this week for their various homes.  After a short time Miss Mohr will leave for an extended visit at her home at West Unity, Ohio.  During her stay in Clinton she has won many friends who regret her leaving the town.
Source: Elkhart Daily Review - Indiana
Dated: Feb. 18, 1918

     Jennie M. Hostetler, wife of John D. Hostetler, died at their home, 817 Wolf avenue, at 5:30 yesterday morning.  She had been afflicted with heart trouble and asthma for several years, and on Friday night suffered a severe attack.  However, she rested well Saturday night, and until she woke at 5 o'clock.  Soon after she was again stricken, and died within a short time, despite the efforts of a physician who had been hurriedly summoned.
     Mrs. Hostetler was born February 24, 1864, at Montpelier, Ohio, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Swaney, also now deceased.  Her marriage took place March 27, 1905, at Mishawaka, and Mrs. and Mrs. Hostetler located in Elkhart eight years ago.  She was a member of the Church of Christ (Disciples) and of the Royal Neighbors of America.
     The burial will take place at New Carlisle, the former home of Mr. Hostetler.  The body will be taken to that place on an early train Wednesday.  The funeral service will be held at the Elkhart home at 7 o'clock tomorrow evening, conducted by Rev. F. C. Lake.
     Surviving Mrs. Hostetler besides her husband is a brother, John Swaney of West Leipsic, Ohio.  At the time of her fatal attack her husband was assisted in calling the doctor by Mr. Hostetler's brother, who happened to be visiting in the home.
     Members of the Royal Neighbors are requested to meet at the home of Mrs. Emma Holdeman, 701 Blaine avenue, 6:45 tomorrow evening, to attend the funeral services of Mrs. Hostetler.
Source:  New Orleans States - New Orleans, La.
Dated: Mar. 10, 1918

Clyclone Cuts Path Quarter-Mile Wide and 20 Mile Long Through Ohio; Much Loss of Life and Property Is Reported.
     WINCHESTER, Ky., Mar. 9 - Twelve persons were killed, ten of them children, 23 persons so severely injured it was found necessary to remove them to the Clark county hospital, and about 30 others were less seriously hurt here tonight, when the walls of a burned building adjoining a moving picture theater collapsed, crush in the theater roof.
     Six of the 23 injured taken to the Clark county hospital were thought to be fatally hurt.  The majority of these, as well as those not so seriously injured, were children, several hundred of whom were crowded into the theater when the crash came.
     The wall that collapsed was also used as the wall of the theater, but projected considerably above the theater's roof.  The wall's collapse at the same time removed the support from under the roof on that side and it crashed down into the theater.
     The first result of the crash was panic, in which the hundreds of children and a smaller number of grown persons struggled to reach the entrance.  Within a short time hundreds of persons had been organized into volunteer rescue squads and soon cleared away the wreckage.
2 Known Dead and Much Property Is Destroyed.
     COLUMBUS, Ohio, March 3. - Two persons are reported to be killed, many injured and thousands of dollars of property damage was done by a tornado which cut a swath through northwestern Ohio.
     A dispatch from Lima says that reports reaching there say the storm's victims number 10.
     The center of the cyclone seems to have been in Van Wert county, although serious damage has been reported between Lima and Findlay.
     Continental, Ohio, is reported to have been almost wiped out by the high wind, and the towns of Van Wert, Defiance, Middlepoint, Convey and Lima are reported to have suffered heavily.  Jantoria, Bluffton, Ottawa and other towns between Lima and Findlay are reported to have been hit hard.
     Telephone and telegraph lines are down and railroad and interurban traffic has suffered, while indications are that the loss of life will not be known before tomorrow.
     The heart of the storm apparently was in Van Wert county, where the two deaths occurred.  The tornado, a quarter of a mile wide and more than 20 miles long, struck Harrison, Union, Hoaglin and Washington townships in that county.
     Several houses were demolished.  The known dead are:
     Mrs. James Geyer, of Harrison township, Van Wert county, died at a hospital in Van Wert from injuries received when her home was demolished.
     Rey Ley, aged 12, killed at Middlepoint, Van Wert county.
     Several injured persons have been taken to hospitals in Van Wert county.
     Conditions west of Van Wert, between Van Wert and Fort Wayne, Indiana, are said to be critical.  Farmers are reported to have started out to hunt victims in the ruins of houses which were blown down.
     It is reported that the towns of Holgate and Halmer, Ohio, west of Leipsic, have been practically destroyed by a tornado.  Appeals for immediate help have gone out to adjacent cities.
Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH)  Page 7
Dated: Oct. 5, 1920
OTTAWA, Oct. 4. - A series of soils meetings will be held in Putnam county when the soils of the county will be considered by Prof. Dustmanof Ohio State university.  The first will be at the George A. Alt farm, near Miller City, Oct. 7; Oct. 8 H. C. Schroeder's farm, Greensburg.  The third date will be decided later.
Source: Dallas Morning News - Texas
Dated July 11, 1936

Mother of Dallas Man Dies at Leipsic, Ohio
     Funeral services for Mrs. Viola Ann Smith, 79, of Leipsic, Ohio, mother of George Smith, 1606 Alaska, who died at Leipsic, Wednesday, will be held there Saturday.  Mr. Smith left by airplane for the Ohio town Thursday night.
     Mrs. Smith also is survived by another son, Dr. Clyde L. Smith of Fremont, Ohio.
Source: Dallas Morning News
Dated: Mar. 11, 1950

Dispute in Order of Eagles Results in Nine Indictments
     OTTAWA, Ohio, Mar. 10 (AP)
- A dispute within the Fraternal Order of Eagles erupted Friday into grand jury indictments against three national lodge officers.
     Three grand aerie officials and an Ohio state Eagles officer was named in nine separate indictments - with charges ranging from blackmail to publicizing a lottery.
     The secret indictments were returned Thursday.  Prosecutor J. Harry Leopold said they were based on efforts to compel the Ottawa lodge to do these things:
     1. Do business with an insurance company and a supply company affiliated with the grand aerie, and
     2. Engage in the fund-raising campaign which the prosecutor described as a lottery.
     The men named in the indictments were Matthew L. Brown of Springfield, Ohio, administrative director of the grand aerie; James Kellner of Springfield, secretary of the Ohio Eagles; Joseph Gunderman of St. Marys, Ohio, deputy grand worthy president and Ohio deputy auditor, and Barnett H. Goldstein of Portland, Ore., grand aerie Legal adviser.
     Goldstein said the indictments "were manifestly secured to satisfy the spite and venom of the prosecuting attorney."  He said they were not justified "in law or in fact."
     To this Leopold, once past worthy president of the Ottawa Eagles Lodge, returned no comment.
     Leopold and two other Ottawa officers recently were expelled by the grand aerie.  They were accused of failure to co-operate.  The Ottawa lodge later withdrew from FOE and formed "Freedom Eagles No. 1."
     Prosecutor Leopold said the lottery charges were based on written and oral instructions to Ottawa, Columbus Grove and Leipsic, Ohio lodges about details of an "Ohio state fund-raising campaign."
     Leopold said profits were to go a third each to grand aerie organizations department, to the state aerie and to the local aerie.
     The nature of the lottery was not described in the indictments.
     Leopold said the blackmail charge against Gunderman was based on oral and written statements of Richard Recker, who said Gunderman threatened him with removal as secretary if he did not follow orders about doing business with certain firms and about participating in bingo and the fund-raising campaign.
     The marriage of Miss Alta Weller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. E. Weller, of Charloe, and Mr. George Melia, of Fort Wayne, son of Mr. J. S. Melia, of Mandale, took place at six o'clock Saturday evening, June 29 at the home of the bride's parents, with the Rev. Ira Metzger, of Lima, officiating.  The bride was charmingly attired in a beautiful shade of blue chiffon georgette crepe, trimmed in cream chiffon and lace.  Her slippers were an attractive colored blue kid.  She carried a neatly arranged bouquet of Swansonia and white roses. 
     Miss Alma Weller, sister of the bride acted as bridesmaid.  She was neatly attired in a beautiful shade of Nile green iris crepe with harmonizing footwear.
     Mr. Jake Dittor, of Fort Wayne, was the groom's only attendant.
     After the ceremony a two course wedding dinner was served to the guests.
     Those who attended the wedding were, Mr. and Mrs. John Weller and son Waldo, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Weller, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Weller and daughter, Yvonne and Patricia Joan, Mr. and Mrs. Coy Weller and Guy Weller, all of Flint, Mich.; Mr. Jake Ditto, of Fort Wayne; Mrs. Annie Stauffer and Miss Susie Stauffer, of Dupont; Rev. and Mrs. Ira Metzger, of Lima; Miss Alma Weller and Mr. and Mrs. D. E. Weller.
After a short visit with the bride's parents the newly weds left for Fort Wayne, where they are at home to their friends.
~ Contributed by Deb Lambert   (Copy of article attached)



CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights