History of Pickaway County
Source: History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties,
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880
* PERRY TOWNSHIP
THE HAYS FAMILY
THE MOUSER FAMILY
THE THOMAS FAMILY
WILSON, JAMES F.
THE HAYS FAMILY.
Levi HAYS was born in Maryland, Oct. 1, 1752.
In December, 1778, he was married to Eleanor HARRIS. In
1805 they emigrated to Ohio, and settled on Rush creek, in Fairfield
county, where they remained on years. In 1806, they removed to
Perry township, Mr. HAYS making a purchase of thirteen
hundred acres of land of the FITZGERALD survey, in Perry and
Monroe townships. They had five sons and four daughters:
Joseph, Charles Norris, Samuel, Jesse, Nancy, Mary, Rachel, and
Ellen. The land owned by him was divided, in as
equitable a manner as possible, among his children. His death
occurred on the tenth of February, 1825.
Jesse HAYS was born in Montgomery county,
Maryland, April 9, 1791, and came to Ohio with his father's family,
eventually settling in Perry township, in 1806. He received
from his father one hundred and seventy-seven acres of land in Perry
of Monroe townships, on both sides of Deer creek. July 27,
1820, he married Betsey HURST. She was born in
Dorchester county, Maryland, Nov. 17, 1801. They had children,
as follows: Ann W., born June 27, 1821. She has
been married several times, and lives a widow in Illinois.
Eleanor R. A., born April 15, 1823, married James CARNEY,
and lives in Ross county. Levi, born Dec. 20, 1824 -
died in 1825. Joseph H. was born June 18, 1857.
They live on a part of his father's farm, in Monroe township.
Miriam W. was born Mar. 1, 1825, and died July 9, 1841.
Sarah was born Feb. 5, 1830. She married Richard W.
BETTS, and now lives in Moultrie county, Illinois.
Elizabeth was born Dec. 13, 1831, and died on the old homestead,
about 1847. Jessie Lee was born Aug. 22, 1835, and died
Oct. 2, 1835. Martha Ann was born Sept. 27, 1836.
She married John E. BRADLEY, and now lives in Moultrie
county, Illinois. Wesley H. was born Aug. 4, 1838 and married
Mary F. GEPHART. She died Apr. 16, 1874, and he married
Hannah W. HAYS, Jan. 19, 1876. By his first wife he had
three children - Emma Alice, Charles W., and Mary F. -
and by his second wife, has Jesse McIlvain and Cynthia
Joseph H. and Mariam H. HAYS have had eleven
children: Samuel, Jesse, Lee, Brunette, Charles W., Zilpha Ann,
George W., and Cora. Three died in infancy.
Jesse HAYS, Sr. , and his wife were both
constituent members of the Methodist church from their early life.
Soon after he was twenty-one, he became an exhorter, and continued
as such until his death, Sept. 17, 1872. His wife died Dec.
11, 1841. HE was a soldier in the war of 1812, and marched to
the relief of Fort Meigs.
Wesley H. HAYS was in the Seventy-third Ohio
infantry four wars. At the expiration of his first term of
service, he re-enlisted in the field, and was wounded at the second
Bull Run battle, and again at Resaca, Georgia.
Peter MOUSER was born in Virginia, where he
married Christine HUFFMAN. They emigrated to Ohio
in 1798, and settled below Chillicothe, where they remained one
year. They then moved to the south part of Deer Creek
township, and settled on Deer creek, where they remained two years,
when they again moved to Perry township, and located on land now
owned by his son, William MOUSER. Peter MOUSER died in
1872, aged ninety-three years. He wife died about 1855, aged
Their children were: John, who married
Margaret PORTER; she died in Ross county, and he went to
Illinois, to live with his children, and died there; Elizabeth,
who married Rezon KING, and died in Monroe township; Jacob
P., who married Mary Ann BEATTY and moved to Illinois,
where he died; William, who married Nancy MACE and
lives in Perry township; Catharine, who married Peter
CARTER, and lives in Fayette, county, a widow; Mary, who
married Owen T. REEVES, and died in Perry township;
Eliza, who married Josiah REEVES, and died in Perry
William MOUSER was born Oct. 1, 1807, and was
married Oct. 1, 1844, to Nancy MACE, who was born Sept. 26,
1819. After marriage they lived on his father's place one
year, when they moved to the farm they now occupy. Mr.
MOUSER had a start in life from his father's estate, receiving
two hundred acres of land. By yard work and economy he added
to it, until he now owns five hundred and fifty acres of land.
In 1875 they built their present substantial and comfortable home, a
representation of which, accompanied by portraits of himself and
wife, are inserted in connection with this sketch.
* Page 316
THE THOMAS FAMILY. John Thomas was born near
Harper's Ferry, Virginia, in 1781. In 1799 he was married to
Melinda Smith, of the same place. The emigrated to Ohio
in the fall of 1807, and settled in Ross county, about four miles
from Chillicothe, on land at that time owned by Nathaniel Willis.
Here they remained until March, 1810, when they removed to
Monroe township, Pickaway county. He bought one hundred and
sixty acres of land on Clark's Run, and built a log cabin before
bringing his family. This log cabin was their home until 1818,
when he built a hewed log cabin, which, in 1834, he weather-boarded.
Here they lived and died; he on the May 5, 1855, and his wife in
March, 1850. Their children were Mary Ann, born Aug. 4,
1800. She married John Hornbeck. He died, and she
married Rev. Mr. Adkinson, who also died. She died in
August, 1866. Jeremiah was born Dec. 16, 1801. He
married Nancy Leach, and died in Madison county, in the
winter of 1862. Ann was born Oct. 24, 1803. She
died hen about three years of age. Joseph was born June
17, 1805. He married Elizabeth Kemp, and died in 1871.
William was born Apr. 7, 1807. He married Eliza
Goddard, and lives in Tippecanoe county, Indiana. Eliza
as born Mar. 1, 1809. She married Robert Leach, and
died in 1877. Julia Ann was born Apr. 5, 1812.
She married Joseph Young, and died in Illinois.
Samuel P. was born Feb. 14, 1814. He married Sarah Hays
Jan. 19, 1836. She died Apr. 10, 1839, and he married
Elizabeth Dick Nov. 11, 1844. He lives in Perry township.
Melinda was born Mar. 25, 1816. She married Oliver
Bostwick, and lives in Madison county. Maria was
born May, 18, 1819. She married Jesse Reeves, and died
in Illinois. Harriet was born Feb. 9, 1823. She
married John Harrison, and lives in Clinton County, Ohio.
Harrison was born Mar. 25, 1826, and married Ann Reeves.
She died in Moultrie county, Illinois, and he moved to Lafayette
county, Indiana, and married Mrs. Henderson. Samuel
P. Thomas was first married to Sarah Hays in 1836.
By her he had two children, Miriam H., born Nov. 13, 1836.
She married Joseph Hays, in June, 1857, and now lives in the
south part of Monroe Township. Alexander
Gillinwaters, and died in Fayette county, in August,
1870. Mrs. Thomas died Apr. 10, 1839, and Mr. Thomas
married Elizabeth Dick on Nov. 11, 1841. She is the
mother of seven children. Charles Harrison, born Jan.
7, 1843, married Josie Derbyshire, Oct. 1, 1873. He
lives in Perry township, near Conover's mills. He served in
the army three years. James Austin, born Mar. 8, 1845,
is a merchant in New Holland. William M., born Nov. 11,
1851, married Carrie Bundy in October, 1874, and lives in New
Holland. Samuel Millard, born Sept. 29, 1854, died Apr.
21, 1877. Elizabeth A., born Dec. 22, 1856, married
William A. Welsh, Dec. 25, 1878, who lives in New Holland, where
he practices law. Vienna J., born June 17, 1859,
remains at home with her father and mother. Mrs. Thomas his
present wife, is an invalid. having been prostrated with a stroke of
paralysis in January, 1879, since which time she has been confined
to the house. Squire Thomas lived in Monroe township,
where he was born, until after the death of his first wife, when he
bought property in Darby township, and lived there until 18509.
He then sold and bought property in Perry township, where he has
since lived. He was elected justice of the peace in 1855, and
served with perfect satisfaction until 1870, when he was obliged to
decline a nomination on account of the sickness of his son. In
1875 he was again elected to the same office, which he still
retains. He ran on the Republican ticket for probate judge in
the fall of 1878, without hope of election, in a strong Democratic
county. His name was presented at the Republican county
convention of 1877, as a candidate for State representative, but he
refused to allow his name to be used. He is a prominent man in
his township, and of careful business habits. That he has held
the office of justice for nearly twenty years is proof that the
people have confidence in him, and are satisfied with his
administration of the office.
F. WILSON, M. D. The long, honorable and useful career
was that of the late Dr. James F. WILSON, of New Holland,
Perry township, Pickaway county, and his name is revered by a wide
circle of friends. His face was familiar to almost every
inhabitant of the western part of Pickaway, and the eastern part of
Fayette counties, and there are thousands who can testify to his
professional thoroughness and ability, and to his intrinsic worth as
a man. His was a character that one universal respect by its
simple dignity, earnestness, firmness and unvarying integrity.
Not a member of any church, he was yet strongly imbued with the
faith of Christianity, and his daily put in practice those principles
which are its teachings. He was a liberal supporter of the
church, too, and noted for the charity he bestowed on other objects
in many directions, being a kind friend to the poor and distressed.
One of the most noble of his acts of charity, and one of the
strongest indications of his large-hearted patriotism, was during
the war. Many of the men who enlisted in the companies, which
were afterward assigned to the Ninetieth and One Hundred and
Fourteenth regiments Ohio volunteer infantry, were indebted to him
for professional services. To all such he gave receipted
bills, and to all of the members of these two companies, and to
other soldiers who went into the war from the vicinity of his home,
the doctor made promises which he faith-fully fulfilled - to give
their families his services free of charge.
James F. WILSON was the son of John and Mary
WILSON, who emigrated from Kentucky to Ross county, Ohio, about
the year 1802. He was born near Chillicothe, Oct. 5, 1818,and
his early years were spent upon the home farm. At the age of
twenty-one years he went to Greenfield, Highland county, and there
began the study of medicine, under the direction of Dr. Daniel
ROBBINS. He was finally, after long and careful reading,
granted a diploma by the medical society of the district, and upon
thus being authorized to practice his profession, immediately
removed to New Holland, of which place he was the first resident
physician. Although possessing a fair medical education, he
was not satisfied, and so after four years' practice, during which
time he saved from his accumulated means the sum necessary to pay
his expenses, he entered the Ohio medical college, of Cincinnati.
He graduated from this institution with a good record, and returned
to New Holland, resuming his practice, and following it all the rest
of his life. His ride was a large one, and his practice was
successful and lucrative as the county could bestow. His
professional reputation became firmly established early in his
career, and he took rank with the best physicians in the county, and
was frequently called upon to spare time from his professional
duties in the immediate neighborhood, to attend councils of
physicians in localities at a considerable distance. Dr.
WILSON had an enviable reputation as a surgeon, as well as a
physician, being regarded as one of the best in this part of the
state. He was for a time during the war located at camp Chase,
and in his capacity as surgeon, his services were of great value.
He bought, in 1850, a fine farm, just over the line in
Fayette county, and in the western part of New Holland village,
which was cleared and improved under his direction, and transformed
from wild woodland into a beautiful agricultural tract. In
1868 he removed to the house he had provided upon this farm.
Dr. WILSON was for the last twenty years of his life
afflicted with heart disease, and he died of this malady Jan. 21,
1875, leaving a wife and one son. Mrs. Wilson's maiden
name was Letitia DUNLAP, and she was the daughter of James
and Elizabeth DUNLAP, of Ross county. She was born May 24,
1816, and married Aug. 31, 1837.
The only son and child of James F. and Letitia
WILSON is John M., one of Ohio's men of ability and
distinction. He was born Sept. 19, 1838. In his sixteenth year
he attended Antioch college, and remained there four years under the
instruction of the famous Horace MANN. After President
MANN's death, young WILSON entered Union college, at
Schenectady, New York, where he graduated with the class of 1862.
He read law at Columbus with the Hon. Chauncey N. OLDS, and
was admitted to the bar of the supreme court of Ohio in 1864, and
commenced the practice of his profession the same year at
Cincinnati, as the senior member of the firm of WILSON & CHAMPION.
He represented Hamilton county two years - in 1871, and in 1873 - in
the legislature, and in the latter year, at the expiration of his
term, was appointed by President GRANT as consul to Bremen.
He remained there, as the
representative of the United States, two and one half years, and was
then appointed to the consulship at Hamburgh, where he remained
until July 1, 1879. He is at present consul general to the
Columbian States of South America, and is located at Panama.
He married Dec. 25, 1866, Carrie R. TURPIN, of
Newton, Hamilton County, Ohio.
* Page 317