OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

 

Pickaway County
Ohio

History of Pickaway County
Source:  History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties, Ohio
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880

 

DEER CREEK
 

* DEER CREEK
       * SETTLEMENT -
includes small biographical sketches
       * FIRST EVENTS
       *
ORGANIZATION
       * WILLIAMSPORT
       * MINERAL SPRING
       * CHURCHES
       * SCHOOLS
       * SOCIETIES
       * PHYSICIANS
       * INDUSTRIAL PURSUITS
       * BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

 

BIOGRAPHIES
 

* TIPTON, Thomas Corwin, M.D.   * THE YATES Family


THOMAS CORWIN TIPTON, M. D., of Williamsport, Deer Creek township, Pickaway county, Ohio, is a son of Thomas S.  and Elizabeth TIPTON, and was born at Pleasant Ridge farm, near Harrisburgh, Pleasant township, Franklin county, Ohio, on September 10, 1827.  He attended the neighborhood schools until his education had reached a point beyond which they could not afford him instruction, and then, in 1844, when to Delaware and attended the Ohio Weslyan university; he was obliged to pay his own way, and did so by teaching in various district schools.  Thus, creditably but with difficulty, he worked his way for five years, and, being eager to learn, and applying himself closely to study as only those can who so dearly buy what many, who have superior advantages, scorn, he acquired a good, thorough, general education.  But he had an ambition beyond this, and a desire to lead a professional life.  Disadvantages were again in his way, but he overcame them.  He was unable to once to begin, as he would have desired, a course in some medical college, but, while gaining a subsistence by teaching, he devoted his spare time to reading and study in his brother's office, at Darbyville.  He continued in this way for several years, and, at length, was able to go to Columbus, where he had enlarged opportunities.  He studied there under Dr. R. L. HOWARD, and entered the Starling medical college.  He graduated from this excellent institution Feb. 22, 1852, receiving, in addition to his diploma, the unanimous vote of approval of the faculty.  After his graduation Dr. TIPTON returned to Darbyville and went into practice as a partner of his brother.  Some time after that he removed to Williamsport, his present resident, adn established himself in a lucrative practice, which has been uninterrupted except by his absence during the war, and three years thereafter.  In 1862 the doctor went into the army as assistant surgeon of the One Hundred and Thirteenth regiment of Ohio volunteer infantry, and remained in that capacity in the service until the close of the war, most of the time being, by the order of Secretary STANTON, detached from his regiment, discharging hospital duty and serving upon the board of examiners of applicants for enlistment or discharge.  Upon the close of the war the subject of our sketch resolved to try his fortune professionally in Groveport, Franklin county; he remained there only about three years and then removed to his old residence, Williamsport.
     Dr. TIPTON, as man and physician, is held in highest esteem by his fellow-citizens of the village and neighborhood, and most deservedly, for the same conscientiousness and application to duty, for which he is noted in his practice of medicine, characterizes him in all his social and business affairs.  He is generally regarded as one of the most thoroughly cultivated practitioners in Pickaway county; is held in high repute by his professional brethren and by the people of Deer Creek, and the western part of the county, as is evidenced by his very successful practice among them.  He is a man of large general information, and a careful, conservative thinker.  He is not, and has never been, a politician or place-seeker, but takes a considerable interest in, and is a close observer of, political movements.  His vote is cast for the success or the principles represented and supported by the Republican party.
     His religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal denomination, and he has been, for a long term of years, one of the stewards of the church at Williamsport.
     The doctor is a practical temperance man in his views and a total abstinence man in his habit.  He has never tasted liquor and seldom prescribes it.
     Dr. TIPTON was married to Miranda, daughter of Horace and Jannett LOOMIS, of Blendon township, Franklin county, Ohio, March 7, 1855.  They have two children living, and have been bereaved by the death of one - their first born, Lizzie - who was born Dec. 16, 1855, and died Sept. 22, 1866.  The children remaining are:   Alice, born Nov. 18, 1857, and Thomas H., born Oct. 24, 1869.

 

THE YATES FAMILY. 
David YATES was born in Culpepper county, Virginia, Sept. 23, 1774.  Soon after 1800, he emigrated to Ross county, Ohio, and settled near South Salem, where he was married, about 1803, to Christine EBERSON.  Two children were born to them while they lived in Ross county - Lovell, born Jan. 23, 1804; and John, born Dec. 26, 1805.  In 1807 they moved to Deer Creek township, Pickaway county, where were born Reazon, Dec. 10, 1807; Nancy, Feb. 17, 1810; Elizabeth, Feb. 12, 1812; David, April 10, 1815; Mary Ann, Oct. 9, 1817; Emeline, Mar. 31, 1820; Mahlon, May 3, 1822; Amos, July 15, 1823; Joseph, Apr. 25, 1825; and Joshua Osburn, Oct. 12, 1827.
     Soon after arriving in Deer Creek township, Mr. YATES built a saw and grist-mill.  This was the first water mill in the township, and was built by the labor of his own hands, he being a millwright.  He even hewed the logs of which the building was constructed.  After building his mill property, he cleared land, and planted one of the first, if not the first orchard, in the neighborhood. 
     During the war of 1812 he became a soldier, and received a commission as an officer, in which capacity he served.
     Both himself and his wife were zealous members of the Methodist church, and people who had not an enemy in the community in which they lived, winning the respect and confidence of all.  He did Mar. 30, 1840, and his wife died some years later, about 1856.  He was the first justice of the peace in Deer Creek township.
     John YATES, the second son of David YATES, was born Dec. 26, 1805.  He was married in 1828, to Elizabeth BLUE, in Deer Creek township, by whom he had eleven children:  David R., Emily, Marcus L., DeWitt C., William John, Francis Marian, Socrates, Miranda, Roland B., and Townsend, all of whom lived to become heads of families.  Mr. YATES commenced life with nothing but his own hands with which to carve his way to the world, but by hard work and the exercise of a shrewd business capacity, he accumulated a large property, owning, at one time, some thirteen hundred acres of land.  He was a large dealer in stock, sometimes making money and sometimes losing, in his ventures.  He was a whole-souled, generous-hearted man, and became a favorite in his neighborhood.  He was elected justice of the peace in 1835, and held the office many years.  He also served as county commissioner.  Before his death, he gave each of his children one hundred acres of land, and reserved a farm, on which hiss widow still lives.
     David R. YATES was married Oct. 25, 1859, to Nancy BROWN, of Deer Creek township, who was born Mar. 4, 1836, and died May 4, 1877.  Their children are Mary E., Benjamin Floyd, Ballard, and Tabitha N.  Mr. YATES bought of his father two hundred and twenty-seven acres of land, receiving a credit on it of two thousand, three hundred dollars, as his portion of the undivided estate.  He has since added to his property, until, at the present time, he is possessed of four hundred and sixty-six acres in Deer Creek township, and eighty-five and one-half in Madison county.  He has served his township three times as assessor, and has declined to run for other offices in the gift of the people.  He was nominated, Aug. 2, 1879, on the Democratic ticket, as State representative from Pickaway county.
     A representation of his house appears in this connection.

< RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >

CLICK HERE to Return to
PICKAWAY COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights