History of Pickaway County
Source: History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties,
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880
* FACE OF THE COUNTRY - STREAMS
* WILD ANIMALS
* EARLY SETTLEMENT
* CHURCH ORGANIZATION
* EARLY BURIALS & BURIAL PLACES
* EARLY SCHOOLS
* THE ELLENWOOD ELEVATORS
* THE OLD VILLAGE OF JEFFERSON
THE ENTREKIN FAMILY
MAJOR JOHN BOGGS. There was some
interesting history in the Boggs family before they left
Virginia. The parents of Major John Boggs, John
and Jane (Irwin), lived upon a small stream in Virginia,
which empties into the Ohio, named after them, "Bogg's run,"
and, during the time of Indian troubles, took refuge in the fort at
Wheeling. A dramatic incident in the family history was
enacted while they were living at Bogg's run. Indians
appeared at the place one day and surprised and captured the eldest
son, William, within sight of the other members of the
terror-stricken family. They intended to massacre or take
captive the whole family; but, upon questioning the boy whom they
had caught, and conveyed to a secure place, they were told that
there were seven or eight men at the house, and they considered this
number too great for their band to venture out against. They
had seen several men about the farm, during the day, engaged in
harvesting, and supposed that William Bogg's words were true,
and that they all slept in the house at night - which was not the
case by any means. The elder John Boggs was the only
man there. This occurred in 1781 or 1782 when Major John
Boggs was but six yeas old. The capture William was
taken to West Liberty, near the present city of Urbana, Ohio, and
kept there about nineteen months, when he was exchanged, and
returned home. His father did not recognize him in his Indian
habiliments, even after having an extended conversation with him.
Another son of John and Jane Boggs was killed on Ohio soil,
just opposite Wheeling. He was returning, with half a dozen
comrades, from a hunting expedition, and they were encamped for the
night, when a band of Indians stole upon them, as they were
sleeping, and fired into their midst. Boggs was
wounded, but sitting, crippled, on the ground, made a desperate
fight before he was finally dispatched, with a tomahawk. All
of the rest of the party escaped.
John Boggs, the Major, was born May 10, 1775,
and emigrated to Pickaway county, with his parents, in 1798.
They came down the Ohio, in a keel-boat, to the mouth of the Scioto,
and thence, by large, up the latter stream, to the station below
Chillicothe. There they left their boat, and went up the
stream, on foot, to a point within the present limits of Greene
township, Ross county, from which they could look far up the valley,
upon a scene of the richest and most peaceful loveliness. But
little did they then think of the teeming life that that lonely but
fertile valley, should one day hold, or of the signs of industry,
wealth, culture, and happiness, it was destined to display.
They found that some pioneer had been here before them, and, as in
the ethics of the early settlers, it was considered highly
dishonorable to locate where another pioneer had made a beginning,
however small, they went on, up the stream, to the Pickaway plains,
where John Boggs, sr., selected a site, and subsequently
entered six hundred and forty acres of land - that now owned by the
heirs of Jacob Hitler and Jacob Ludwig. The son,
John, went up Congo, to the place where stands the Logan elm,
and where James T. Boggs now resides. After making his
location, and preparing a rude home, he returned to Boggs
run, Ohio county, Virginia, and there married, in the year 1800,
Sarah McMicken He brought his wife to his new home, and there
reared his family, living for a time in the logs house, but, at an
early day, probably in 1801 or 1802, building the house which is
still standing. Major Boggs was very poor, and had to
struggle hard for a living. He was a man of very industrious
habits, and did with a will whatever he undertook. He cleared
up his farm, and toiled patiently in the work of improvement,
against many disadvantages, but with ultimate success and
satisfaction. He commenced boating in 1803, and took the first
boat load of flour that was ever sent out of the Scioto, to New
Orleans. He made three trips, and returned on foot, or on
horseback, the whole distance from New Orleans to Pickaway township,
passing through the Indian nation, and keeping a sharp look-out for
robbers. Hemet with no mishap of bodily harm, and with but one
loss of money. That was when a tavern-keeper with whom he and
his friend, Daniel Crouse, stopped, picked the lock of his
saddle-bags, and took from them three hundred dollars in silver,
with which he paid a debt to Crouse. Major Boggs never
knew of his loss until he arrived at home, and, though he applied to
the tavern-keeper, who acknowledged his guilt, the money was
never recovered. Mr. Boggs received the title of "Major" in
the war of 1812. Through his industry, economy, and good
management, he became owner of about one thousand, eight hundred
acres of land in Pickaway township, two thousand acres in Indiana,
and a large amount of personal property.
Mr. Boggs was a man who had the universal
respect of his neighbors and acquaintances. Although not a
member of any church, he was a warm friend of religion, and
contributed liberally to aid its progress among the people.
Politically, he was a Democrat, and a great admirer of "Old
Hickory." He died Feb. 6, 1861, at the home of his son,
Moses. He had married his second wife, a sister of the
first, Mrs. Jane (McMicken) Taylor, in Zanesville, and had
been, for a number of years, living in that place, when he ws taken
sick, and returned to Pickaway township, as he said, to die.
His first wife died, Dec. 31, 1851. His father died on the
same day of the month as the son - Feb. 6 1827, and it is a
curious fat that, had they each lived until his next birthday, they
would have been, at the dates of their death, at precisely the same
age - eighty-seven years. The descendants of John Boggs
and wife were: William, Jane, Lemuel, John, Nancy, Lydia,
Moses, James, and Sidney (the latter, although the name
might not be understood to signify it, a daughter). William
Boggs is in Bellefontaine; Jane, Mrs. F. Shelby, died in
Indiana; Lemuel was killed in 1827, in the mill which his
father built, about ten years before; John is living in
Pickaway township, with his second wife, Lacy H., a daughter
of Judge Isaac Cook, of Ross county; his first wife was
Mary Ann Evans; she died in 1852. Mr. Boggs is one
of the largest land-owners in Pickaway county having about two
thousand eight hundred acres in the township in which he lives, and
enough more in the west to make about nine thousand acres.
Nancy Boggs died when quite young; Lydia is also
deceased; Moses Boggs died Dec. 7, 1863; he married
Margaret S., a daughter of Judge Cook, of Ross county,
Aug. 3, 1841, by whom he had seven children, two of whom are dead.
John M., the eldest, married Fannie S. Stearns, and
now resides in Lafayette, Indiana; Lemuel, a resident of
Circleville, farmer, substantial man of business, and owner of the
Elmwood elevator, married Jennie Groce; Scott C., married
Ada Shannon, and lives on the old homestead; William is
in Lafayette, Indiana, and Sally T. in Pickaway township.
A view of the old home of Moses Boggs appears in this work.
James Boggs, youngest son of Major John Boggs, married
Minerva Whitsel, and resides on the old homestead. They
are the parents of five children: Mary (Mrs. John Davenport),
Taylor, who married Alva, daughter of Abel Jones,
of Pickaway plains, Irwin, Samuel and James. Sidney
Boggs, youngest child and daughter of Major John Boggs
and wife, married Dr. L. Jones, and is living in Lafayette,
seventh child of William and Jane (Moore) Caldwell,
was born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, Feb. 5, 1800. His
parents were natives of the same county, but of Irish ancestry, and
emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio, with their family, in October,
1808, locating first, about a miles west of Kingston, on the old
Lancaster road. In March, 1809, Mr. Caldwell
removed to Pickaway township and settled on the west half of section
fifteen, where he resided until his death, Mar. 21, 1815, aged
fifty-two years. Mrs. Caldwell died Sept. 1,
1823. they were among the early members of the Mount Pleasant
Presbyterian church, in Ross county, of which Mr. Caldwell
was elected a ruling elder, and ordained to that office
Aug. 7, 1811. Their children, besides John,
with the dates of their birth, were as follows: James
and David, twins, born July 28, 1787; Robert,
born Jan. 25, 1790; Samuel, born June 14, 1792;
William, Born Aug. 29, 1794; Elizabeth
(Mrs. Elias Benton), born June 12, 1797; Daniel,
born July 9, 1802; Joseph, born May 1, 1804;
Johnson, born Jan. 12, 1805.
John Caldwell, the subject of this sketch,
married, Jan. 24, 1828, Elizabeth, daughter of
Isaac and Elizabeth Monnett, and resided on the
homestead until 1855, when he moved to the place where he now lives.
Mrs. Caldwell died June 22, 1838. By
this marriage there were seven children, as follows:
Elizabeth Jane, born Feb. 23, 1829, married Dwight
Calhoun, Oct. 29, 1848, and now lives near Kenton, Hardin
county, Ohio; has six children. Isaac M. born
Feb. 2, 1830, married Sophronia Morris, Nov. 7,
1852, died May 4, 1863, in camp, near Memphis, Tennessee. His
widow, with three children, lives in Pickaway township, Pickaway
county, Ohio. Robert, born Feb. 22, 1831, married
Cynthia Pinneo, Aug. 1856. He now lives in Sheldon,
Illinois; has three children, William Lewis, born
Mar. 12, 1832, married Alvina Tobias, Oct., 1860,
and died July 8, 1876. His widow lives in Sheldon, Illinois,
and has five children, Amos B., born Dec. 17, 1833,
married first, Margaret Pinneo and second (February
13, 1866), Lovinia Holmes, and is now a resident of
Sheldon, Illinois. He has five children, one by his first
wife, John Wesley, born Feb. 11, 1835, married
Virilla Shoecraft, June, 1867. He is at
present superintendent of public works, of Seymour, Indiana.
He has one child living, and one deceased, Sarah B.,
born June 22, 1837; died, Mar. 19, 1838.
Mr. Caldwell was married Nov. 12, 1839, to
Rebecca McClellan, daughter of Thomas and Ann
(Kinnear) McClellan, who was born Feb. 13, 1810. The
fruit of this marriage was three children, the eldest of whom born
Aug. 19, 1840, died in infancy. Ann Maria,
born Nov. 24, 1841, is unmarried, and is at present a teacher, with
her brother, in the schools at Seymour, Indiana. Thomas
McClellan, the youngest, was born June 20, 1843, and died
Sept. 23, 1852.
has filled the office of township clerk of Pickaway for a number of
years, and served as justice of the peace three successive terms,
beginning in 1836. He has given all of his children a fair
education, two of whom - John Wesley and
Ann Maria - having graduated, in 1861, respectively, at
Ohio Wesleyan university, and Ohio Wesleyan female college,
is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he
is a liberal supporter, and enjoys the universal respect of his
JAMES ENTREKIN, the original representative of his family in
America, was a native of the Highlands of Scotland, and resided in a
mountain pass known as the Entrekin pass. His wife was
from the north of Ireland, and was of Scotch-Irish extraction.
She reached the great age of one hundred and three years. They
came to America and settled in what is now the eastern part of Adams
county, Pennsylvania. One son, William, with his entire
family, was killed by the Indians at a small stream called Bloody
run. James, the other son, married Elizabeth Hall,
who, like him, was of Scotch-Irish descent, and they settled near
Gettysburg, upon the ground where the great battle was fought in the
war of the Rebellion. Their children were three sons and four
daughters namely, James, John, William, Elizabeth, Jane, Ester,
John Entrekin, born Apr. 22, 1778, moved with his
father's family, when fourteen years old, and in the year 1792, to
Huntington county, Pennsylvania. In April, 1798, he removed,
with eight others, to the northwest territory, and settled in Ross
county. They traveled from Wheeling to Chillicothe by the
bridle-path known as Zane's trace, and saw only four houses while
making their slow journey. John Entrekin and his eight
friends cleared, that season, ninety-nine acres of land, which was
afterward entered by Cryder, and is now known as the Dunn
farm. After this was done, and a crop of corn raised, they
all returned to their homes in Pennsylvania and made preparations to
move their families to a new home in the wilderness. They
returned in October, 1798. John Entrekin was married.
The family consisted of the father, mother, John, William, and
Martha. Mrs Elizabeth Entrekin died Sept. 5, 1800, at the
age of sixty-seven years, and was buried on the farm now owned by
D. Umsted. Though this death the family was broken up.
The husband returned to Pennsylvania and lived with his son James.
Martha, the youngest daughter, went to Kentucky, and lived
with her married sister, Mrs. James Parks, and there married
Thomas McCutchen a brother of John McCutchen who lived
and kept a tavern near where William W. Entrekin now resides.
William Entrekin returned to Pennsylvania, where he died in
1854, in the month of July. On December, 25, 1801, John
Entrekin married Nancy Crouse, a daughter of John and
Catharine Crouse, who emigrated to Ross county with their entire
family, in April, 1798, and settled there permanently. John
Crouse and wife were both born near Baltimore, Maryland, he on
the thirteenth of January, 1759, and she on the first of May, 1764.
He was of German extraction, and she of Welsh. Mr. Crouse
purchased, in 1798, the mill erected by William McCoy and
John D. Rush, on Kinnickinnick, in the same year - the first
mill in the Scioto valley. Mr. Crouse died Sept. 5,
1847, at the age of eighty-eight years; and his wife Sept. 12, 1845,
aged eighty-one years. He served his country with great credit
in the Revolutionary war.
John Entrekin was one of the prominent men of
Ross and Pickaway counties. His life up to 1828 was identified
with the former county. By crumbling papers, yellow with age,
now in the possession of William W. Entrekin, we obtain the
dates of some of the events of his life. The oldest is one
which is dated "Jan. 14th, 1802, Territory of the United States
Northwest of the Ohio," appointing John Entrekin as captain
of a company of militia of the First regiment of the county of Ross.
A little later he received the following letter, which serves to
show that it meant something to belong to the militia in those days:
"CHILLICOTHE, May 20, 1803.
SIR: - You will please immediately to inform your
neighborhood that the Indians are in fore on our frontiers, and that
they ought immediately to arm and equip themselves for the defense
of the neighborhood, and be ready to obey such further orders as
they may receive,
"It is certain they have killed Captain Herod.
Fortunately for the subject of our sketch, and for
the people of Chillicothe and vicinity, the attack at this time
apprehended did not take place.
Mr. Entrekin received his commission as captain
of the Second company, First battalion, First regiment, Second
brigade, of the Territorial militia in 1809. It bears the date
March 24th, and the signature of Samuel
Huntington, then governor.
In June, 1817, he received from Governor Thomas
Worthington, a notification of appointment as major of the
Second regiment, and only a few days later he was made
lieutenant-colonel. Nov. 13, 1818, he was made colonel of the
Third regiment, Third brigade, Second division.
Mr. Entrekin was three times appointed justice
of the peace: in 1815 by Governor Worthington, in 1819
by Governor Ethan A. Brown, and in 1822 by Governor Allan
Trimble. He was Ross county's representative in the
legislature in 1821. Mr. Entrekin's was one of the
half-dozen families which composed the society of the Mt. Pleasant
Presbyterian church, the first church in Ross county.
During the war of 1812, he performed considerable very
arduous service for his country. He at first had charge of a
company of horse, in the Anglicize country, whither he was sent to
aid in the relief of Fort Defiance. He returned from there to
Chillicothe, and in the following fall and winter had charge of the
force which guarded the wagon trains which transported supplies from
the then capital to Upper Sandusky, and also had charge of the
business in a commercial way. Toward the close of the war, he
was captain of a company of infantry. After the close of the
war, in 1814, he had an adventure with some Indians, near Little
Sandusky, and the sword which saved his life from their knives is
now in the possession of his son.
After the war he engaged in farming and other business,
and established his sons in the occupation of cattle breeding and
dealing. He moved from Ross county to Pickaway township,
Pickaway county, in March, 1828, and first lived in a log and frame
house which stood just south of hte present residence of William
W. Entrekin. He was elected common pleas judge of Pickaway
county, by the Legislature, in 1838, and served until his death.
He died May 10, 1842, at the age of sixty-four years, from a
surgical operation performed by Dr. Mussey, of Cincinnati.
He was a man of great activity and force, influential, highly
respected, generous and just. Mr. Entrekin was born
Feb. 16, 1783, and died Jan. 16, 1845, at the age of sixty-one.
The children of John and Nancy Crouse Entrekin,
were four sons and six daughters: Elizabeth, James, Catharine,
John, William W., Dan. Crouse, Pheraby, Diantha, Jane and
Nancy Crouse. Elizabeth was born Jan. 4, 1803; married
James McCoy; died Aug. 23, 1872. James was
born Oct. 18, 1804; he married Margaret Steele, and after
death, married Elizabeth Shirley; died Oct. 19, 1875;
Catharine, born Nov. 1, 1806; married John Carter, of
Nicholas county, Kentucky, and died in Missouri, November, 1867;
John was born Apr. 9, 1809, and now resides in Saline county,
Missouri; he married Frances More, now deceased; William
W. was born Mar. 12, 1812; he married Jane Bell, daughter
of Thomas and Ruth Bell, of Chillicothe; their children were
John Rockwell, born Oct. 1, 1844; Creaton, born Mar.
24, 1847; Flora Bell, born Sept. 18, 1849, and Tacy
Crouse, born Feb. 24, 1862. William W. Entrekin is
the only son of John Entrekin now living in the State.
He is a large landholder, and prominent farmer of Pickaway township,
and has been a successful man in varied and extensive affairs of
business. His influence and activity have been largely
instrumental in securing to the people of the Scioto valley a
railroad, and he has labored to bring about the construction of
others, which, if ever completed, will be of great advantage to the
country. His residence (subject of illustration) is one of the
beautiful homes of the southern part of the county, and was built by
him with funds furnished by his father, in 1840. He is a
member of the Presbyterian church, as are also all the members of
his family. In politics, he was, originally, an old line Whig,
but since 1854 has belonged to the Republican party.
Dan. Crouse, next younger, brother
of William W., was born Sept. 21, 1814, and is now living in
Independence, Jackson county, Missouri. He married Jane
Pheraby was born May 25, 1817. She was first
married to Russell D. Rockwell, but is now living with her
second husband, Abram Jones, one mile south of Kingston, in Ross
Diantha was born Aug. 1, 1819, and
married Dr. A. W. Thompson, of Circleville. She died
Aug. 22, 1858.
Jane, born Jan. 30, 1822, died in infancy.
Nancy Crouse, born Dec. 8, 1831, is living with her
brother, in Independence, Missouri.
was born at what in early times was called "the station," below
Chillicothe, April 8, 1796. His parents, David and Mary
(Williams) Shelby, were natives of Rockingham county, Virginia.
David Shelby was one of the earliest pioneers in the Scioto
Valley, coming to Chillicothe with General Massie's party,
and was one of the first settlers of Pickaway county. Sometime
prior to 1800 he located in the township of Pickaway, where he
afterward entered the west half of section three, erecting his cabin
on the site of the red frame dwelling-house, now occupied by
Silas Saxon, which he also erected as early as 1819.
David Shelby was a man of prominence in the county. He was
a member of the State legislature for twenty-one consecutive years,
with the exception of one term, and was the first justice of the
peace in the township of Pickaway, being elected to the office
before Ohio was made a State, and serving a number of years.
He died Dec. 25, 1845, at the age of eighty years. His wife
died Oct. 3, 1830, at the age of sixty-eight years. They were
the parents of eight children: John, Joseph, Rachel, Hannah,
Charity, Rezon, Benjamin, and Isaac.
Hannah, now the widow of Rev. Joseph Curtis, and living
in Illinois, is the only survivor. Charity, the only
one of the family besides Benjamin, who settled in Pickaway
county, was the wife of Henry Morris, and lived where her
daughter, Mrs. Jacob Weaver, of Pickaway township, now lives.
Benjamin Shelby, at the age of nineteen, went to
Indiana, and lived with his uncle two years, during which he was
engaged in boating on the Wabash, taking corn, pork, and flour from
Evansville to Fort Harrison, now Terre Haute, on a keel boat.
He returned to Ohio, and commenced flat-boating to New Orleans, in
which he continued twelve years, making two trips each year.
In the fall he would buy cattle in Illinois and Missouri, which he
would fatten and drive to Philadelphia or New York, and for many
years was extensively engaged in this business. In 1823 he
purchased, of Christopher Bartley, forty acres of land in
section three, Pickaway township, including the Bartley
grist-mill, on Scippo creek. He afterwards bought, of
Bartley's heirs, the remainder of the quarter, and located where
his daughter, Mrs. Stage, now lives. Mr. Shelby
became a large land-holder, owning some sixteen or seventeen hundred
acres in this county and in the west.
He had command of a company of militia, in Indiana, and
was subsequently appointed colonel of militia in this county.
He married Nancy Enoex, and raised a family of
five children, three of whom are now living. The eldest was
Evaline, born Mar. 28, 1825, married Jacob Reesor, and
died in Illinois, Oct. 9, 1869; Evan C., born Aug. 25, 1828,
married Elizabeth, daughter of James Rice, of Pickaway
township, and resides in Circleville; Malinda H., born Dec.
19, 1834, is the wife of Isaac W. Stage, and lives on the old
homestead; David, born Oct. 29, 1837, married Margaret
Mason, and occupies the farm on which his grandfather settled;
John, born Nov. 15, 1839, was shot, by accident, Dec. 25,
1871, and died three days afterward.
Benjamin Shelby died May 4, 1876, and Mary,
his wife, Oct. 9, 1869.